╌>

Alternate batteries that fit digital thermometers

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  bugsy  •  4 years ago  •  14 comments

Alternate batteries that fit digital thermometers

I have read that many of those on this site are members of the age group that are highly susceptible to COVID 19. My wife works in a hospital here in town and I work on an as needed basis at an inpatient rehab facility. My wife is just below the age group of concern, so we try to make sure we are healthy prior to going to work by taking our temperature every morning and every evening.

We have a Vick's digital thermometer. I have found that most stores are completely out of all thermometers, and with that, the batteries that fit them. I have also found that most small digital thermometers use a small round battery with the designation CR 1225. These batteries are all but impossible to find.

I did some looking around and found that a battery with the designation CR 1216 is compatible to this, and maybe, most small thermometers. A couple of the stores I went to had quite a few of these batteries in stock, so I grabbed a pack of 2.

I just wanted to put out this "PSA" for anyone that is concerned about their health and wanted to keep up with their temperature throughout the day and are having difficulty finding batteries for their thermometer.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  Kavika     4 years ago

Good information, thanks.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  Jasper2529    4 years ago

Thanks for the info, bugsy. I recently did an inventory of the closet where we keep our medical supplies, and found that we have 3 digital thermometers (don't ask me why we have 3!) and one glass thermometer. The batteries in the digitals are dead, so we've been relying on the glass (takes longer to register, but at least it works). It's good to know that there's an alternate battery!

squiggy
Junior Silent
3  squiggy    4 years ago

I was going to buy one until the pharmacist told me I could stick it in my ass.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1  author  bugsy  replied to  squiggy @3    4 years ago

You know, I was beginning to get desperate for a thermometer or batteries and even went looking for baby thermometers, which are rectal. They, too, are out.

I don't know if there is a difference in temperature between oral and rectal, but I hope no one with a baby in the house picks up the wrong thermometer.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  bugsy @3.1    4 years ago

Rectal thermometers are allegedly the most accurate. I hated those as a kid!

My wife taught me the difference: a rectal thermometer has a small, roundish metal end, and an oral thermometer has a longer, metal end.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Thanks Bugsy for the PSA. Very helpful. Btw, it seems that you can get gloves from Walmart online at a reasonable price as of last night. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1  author  bugsy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    4 years ago

Thanks for that, Perrie.

My nephew works for a warehouse that supplies to hospitals and other facilities in the area. If a box of something is damaged, facilities will not take the box because of possible contamination. About 6 months ago, a full box of medium gloves were damaged. My nephew gave us the box. We never really used them before but with recent developments, we took out a handful and took the rest to my wife's work.

They are not short of anything, but every little thing helps.

Just be careful of gouging these days. I heard a medical segment of the SEIU found up to 34 million N95 masks in a warehouse and are planning to sell them for 5 bucks a piece when they normally go for under 2 dollars each.

I hope someone looks into this.

user image
Freshman Silent
5.2    replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    4 years ago

I was unable to find gloves at Walmart, CV's or Walgreens I noticed a clerk at the convenience store I go to was wearing latex gloves he said he got them at Home Depot so off I went to see if they had any left. They had at least 200 packages on the shelves the cost for a pack of 50 was $ 4.48, I bought 2 packages. They also had lots of sanitary wipes which I have been unable to find anyplace else.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  @5.2    4 years ago

Great tip! 

Btw, you can make your own hand sanitizer, if you can find 90% rubbing alcohol and any aloe product. Proportions are 1 cup alcohol to 1/3 a cup aloe and mix well. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.2.2  pat wilson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2.1    4 years ago

Yes, and a couple drops of essential oil of your choice.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

My sister is a travel PA working in Farmington, NM for the next few months.  She was sent home from work Monday because she had a cough.  They tested her for Covid (also flu and RSV) and asked her to keep track of her temp.  She tested negative for everything.  She didn't have a thermometer at home, and couldn't find one in any store, nor on Amazon.  So she never really knew if she had a fever.  She said she felt chilled, but her apartment has all tile or hardwood floors, and always feels a bit chilly, or did when I visited her.