╌>

Fox ' Britt Hume : Trump Has Mental Problems

Category:  Other

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  54 comments

Fox ' Britt Hume : Trump Has Mental Problems
Hume appeared to acknowledge that the sitting president of the United States has mental problems .

Fox News' everybody's grandpa inadvertently spilled the beans on Trump wednesday afternoon as he was trying to ridicule Joe Biden yet again . 

Hume appeared to acknowledge that the sitting president of the United States has mental problems .

Hume's pitch was essentially   'He (Trump) may have mental problems , but he's not as bad as the other guy.'

Somehow it's hard to imagine Trump being assuaged by the qualifier in the second half of the sentence.

What this faux pas demonstrates how impossible it is to criticize Biden's verbal stumbles without acknowledging that Trump is the same or worse. 

related

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/oh-my-goodness-fox-news-panel-goes-haywire-after-brit-hume-calls-biden-senile

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago
"It happens. Look, I am the same age as he is, I have [hard] times recalling names and places and so on. Trump, he may have mental problems, but he does not seem to be senile."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Did you watch this live?

I did.

I don;t know how any thinking person could possible misconstrue what he actually stated,, but someone managed it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    4 years ago

I don't watch Fox News. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    4 years ago

Well, it isn't all that surprising that you didn;t understand what he said.

it's all cool, just wanted to know how much you really know about it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    4 years ago

I quoted him. I think a printed quote is more reliable than your prejudiced interpretation. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    4 years ago
I quoted him.

So I guess you simply don't know what the word "may" means.

Look it up before posting again so you won't look so foolish.

The Headline is a LIE.

Hume DID NOT SAY TRUMP HAD MENTAL PROBLEMS. YOU EVEN FUCKING QUOTED IT, RIGHT?

Why are you seeding a LIE in the headline when even you know it is a LIE?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    4 years ago

Actually Tex, I do know what may means. You do not appear to understand usage. 

If I say to someone "you may have won a million dollars in the lottery, but you're still an idiot. "   the use of the word "may" in that context does not mean something might or might not have happened, it means " you did win BUT........". 

The same applies to what Hume said about Trump. 

he may have mental problems, but he does not seem to be senile."

the key is the "but". 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    4 years ago

I don't think so. A quoted statement cannot possibly take the place of the full inflection when the words are being said.........face to face so to speak. You know. Like all the misinterpretations of Trump's words by just listening (with eyes wide closed) and reading them. Reading the words is left to interpretation by the reader. 

I am sure you remember the “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the  30,000 e-mails  that are missing,” Trump proclaimed. He added, “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

The interpretation of THAT one by the left was hilarious to say the least.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.7  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.6    4 years ago

"you may have the fastest car on your block, but my brother in laws is faster". 

Am I saying I think your car is the fastest on your block, or not? 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.7    4 years ago

Yep. But your BIL's isn't on my block so it's a non-sequitur. 

"a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement."

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.9  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.8    4 years ago

not at all.   The speaker is defining the conditions. The use of the word "but" is the key again. 

"Your daughter may be beautiful, but she is clumsy".

Is the speaker saying the listeners daughter is beautiful? YES. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.9    4 years ago

Fine. I'll give you your interpretation of the statement made by Mr. Hume as there is no disputing someone's opinion without follow up with the person making the original statement for clarification. Therein lies the rub. No follow up when interpretation is left up to the reader/listener.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.11  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    4 years ago
So I guess you simply don't know what the word "may" means.

When someone offers that an individual 'may' have mental problems, that is an indication that mental problems are considered to be a distinct possibility.

One does not normally float the idea that someone may have mental problems unless the speaker has reasons to suspect mental problems.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.11    4 years ago

not interested

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.13  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.12    4 years ago

Irrelevant.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.13    4 years ago

yes.

so what?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.13    4 years ago

maybe one day you will learn what may means.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.16  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.15    4 years ago

maybe one day you will learn what the word "but" means when used in conjunction with "may".  If the "may" wasn't indicating an affirmative opinion "your daughter may be beautiful" there would be no need for the "but"  , "but she is clumsy". 

If Hume wasn't giving his opinion that Trump has mental problems, there would be no need to say BUT in the back half of the sentence. 

Now I am done with you. I humored you too much about this already. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.16    4 years ago

the headline is false. It will remain false unless it is edited to make it true.

that's all. folks!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.17    4 years ago

If you look and read John's seed, he is emphasizing the Trump part and leaving this out.........until post 2.1 below......

"The word senile is not a medical diagnosis. It refers to people who are at a stage in life, exhibit signs of old age in terms of their memory and mental acuity. It’s not something you need to be a doctor to notice. Joe Biden has it. To some extent I have it. People our age do, and the question that arises is whether a man of his age who is starting in a way that people inevitably do late in life — to lose it a bit — should be president of the United States. This does not require a team of psychologists and psychiatrists to come in and make a medical diagnosis. There is a reasonable layman’s conclusion from the evidence that is very clear before us".

But Trump..............

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.19  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.16    4 years ago
Texan @ 1.1.17 ☞ the headline is false

This jrSmiley_115_smiley_image.png however is a legitimate complaint.   The headline reads as though Hume stated with certainty that Trump has mental problems.   There are two way to interpret his comment:

1. Given Trump has mental problems, ...
  2. Trump might indeed have mental problems, ....

Brit Hume no doubt meant the second interpretation.   It would be heavily out of character for Hume to diagnose Trump with a mental disease.   Clearly, to me, that is not what happened.

So, surprisingly, I agree with Texan on this one point.   But Texan is wrong on his usage of ' may ' since he is trying to say that Hume simply opined that it is possible that Trump could have mental problems and that Hume was not implying that this could actually be true.   Well, that is possible of anyone so that would be a platitude;  not how Hume operates.  Hume clearly was implying that there are reasons to conclude this might be true, he just does not know it is true.

IMO opinion, Hume simply acknowledged that the rumors Trump has a mental problem could be correct;  he does not categorically dismiss them.   He did not declare that Trump has a mental problem.  The headline misrepresents what Hume said.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.20  igknorantzrulz  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.19    4 years ago

N E one who can't see Trump, OBVIOUSLY, has mental problems, IMHO, has their OWN MENTAL PROBLEMS ! Just my opine, and all are entitled to one, but what more would one need to see....cause that is, beyond me and my feeble thought less ofs'

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.21  TᵢG  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1.20    4 years ago

I do not think Trump has a mental disorder that would technically enable him to be removed from the presidency pursuant to the 25th amendment.   But I think it is obvious that he has mental characteristics that are not desirable such as narcissism, paranoia and compulsive lying.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.22  author  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.19    4 years ago

You are over analyzing this Tig.

Hume used the word "may" so Trump couldn't sue him. 

And of course, also, Hume is not a doctor so he can't give a diagnosis.  Obviously he wants his viewers to know that he is not so naive to not realize Trump has mental problems, so he put it in a slightly ambiguous way ("may"). 

In any case, I think this is the first time a Trump supporter has gone on record saying he has mental problems. We are making progress. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.23  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.22    4 years ago
You are over analyzing this Tig.

I think you are reading way too much into Hume's words.

Obviously he wants his viewers to know that he is not so naive to not realize Trump has mental problems, so he put it in a slightly ambiguous way ("may"). 

I agree that Hume holds that Trump could indeed have mental problems.   But he did not declare that Trump does have mental problems.    There is a major difference between:

I acknowledge that Trump could indeed have mental problems

-and-

Trump has mental problems.

Further, I am convinced that Hume suspects Trump has mental problems.   Otherwise he would have never even mentioned this.

In any case, I think this is the first time a Trump supporter has gone on record saying he has mental problems.

Is Hume a Trump supporter?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.18    4 years ago

isn't it always " but trump"?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.25  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.24    4 years ago

That does seem to be the consistent response by Trump supporters when they are unable to put forth a better rebuttal.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.25    4 years ago

I don't care, do you?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.27  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.26    4 years ago

Sure, I think people should be able to back up their declarations.   And if challenged they should know enough about their own positions to formulate something better than a sarcastic "But Trump" as their sole rebuttal.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.27    4 years ago

it was a more worthy response than the tripe deserved

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.29  author  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.23    4 years ago

Like I said, you are over analyzing all this. 

You can't even mess with anybody on this site anymore without having every syllable analyzed. 

It's incredible. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.30  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.29    4 years ago
You can't even mess with anybody on this site anymore without having every syllable analyzed. 

Well I agree with you there JR, but I truly do not believe I am being unreasonable.   Bear in mind that if you are correct then Brit Hume announced nationally that Trump has mental problems.   That would be an amazing faux pas for a veteran analyst like Hume to make.   Surely you do not think Hume would intentionally declare Trump has mental problems, do you?

Maybe we should let other's weigh in.   Seems we (what a surprise) see things differently.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.31  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    4 years ago

That's what happens when you are suffering from TDS and passionately obsessed with somebody.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Hume's pitch was essentially   'He (Trump) may have mental problems , but he's not as bad as the other guy.'

Is that the exact quote?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    4 years ago

of course not.

the seeder didn't even see the show.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
2  Account Deleted    4 years ago

Remember - there is always a military aide  only a few feet away from the President - with the launch codes .

And he  "MAY have mental problems"?

That's a toughie - is it better to have a president with mental problems who is senile or not senile?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Account Deleted @2    4 years ago

When he said "he may have mental problems"  he didnt mean "may" as in it's possible, he meant "may" as in "he does" .... but..... the other guy is worse. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago

So...what mental problems does Trump exhibit?

Just asking, cuz Biden's are so plainly obvious

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.2    4 years ago
So...what mental problems does Trump exhibit?

To me it looks like he is afflicted with narcissism, compulsive lying and paranoia.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.3    4 years ago

Those are not illnesses, or even really disorders

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.4    4 years ago

You asked about mental problems:

Greg @2.1.2 So...what mental problems does Trump exhibit?

You did not ask about illnesses or disorders.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1.6  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.4    4 years ago
Those are not illnesses, or even really disorders

They can be symptoms of both Illnesses and disorders.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1.6    4 years ago

The key here, I submit, is that there is no denial that Trump is afflicted with narcissism, compulsive lying and paranoia.  

Why would we seek to reelect a PotUS with such mental problems?

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.1.8  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.7    4 years ago
Why would we seek to reelect a PotUS with such mental problems?

He exhibited these same deficiencies during his 2016 campaign, although not to the degree to which he exhibits them now.  However, I still think his issues were problematic enough that he should have withdrawn from the campaign.

Those that seek to reelect him, especially those in his inner circle (starting but not limited to his extended family), all have personal agendas that can only be met if Trump is in office.  That said, I'm thinking that history will not be kind to the Kushners.   

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.9  TᵢG  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1.8    4 years ago
Those that seek to reelect him, especially those in his inner circle (starting but not limited to his extended family), all have personal agendas that can only be met if Trump is in office.

I found it interesting that Cindy McCain prominently brought Senator McCain into the D convention.   I was a little surprised that Jeb Bush did not have a speaking slot.   jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

My point, of course, is that Trump is undesirable to a great many Rs.   The economy and comfort of the electorate was serving him well to override the negatives of his abysmal character and less-than-stellar popularity among Rs.   COVID-19, however, has hurt his main claim to fame (the economy) but much worse, it has caused the electorate to be uncomfortable.   People are stressed; life is not as good as it was prior to COVID-19.   Then, to make things even worse for Trump, it is clear that he did not take COVID-19 seriously enough and failed to manage the situation.   Now the USA is far behind other nations.   We are bracing for a second wave while other nations have this pandemic under control.    Thus Trump will be blamed, appropriately, for the current stressed-out electorate.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Account Deleted @2    4 years ago
is it better to have a president with mental problems who is senile or not senile?

That is a reasonable question. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3  igknorantzrulz    4 years ago

i'll take the senile dude, over the mental deficient over under achieving Orange pop tart, N E FCKN DAY !

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
4  JumpDrive    4 years ago

Any senility exhibited by Trump is massively obscured by his juvenility; which in a man his age manifests as incredible stupidity. The president gets into twitter battles over puerile subjects all the time. His speeches have been run through an app used by the military to gauge the vocabulary grade level of manuals; Trump’s is fourth grade. No other president is anywhere near that low. Listening to him read is simply embarrassing. He has basically no attention span, he does not read the PDBs; actually, he does not read. It is beyond difficult to get him to sit still for a briefing. Bannon said in 2017 he is “like an 11-year-old child”, Tillerson called him a “fucking moron”, Mattis said “We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership”. Kelly went on record agreeing with Mattis. Trump contradicts himself inside a single sentence. People put a corrupt, narcissistic, idiot child in the White House. Who could have imagined that that would have a down side.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JumpDrive @4    4 years ago

I do wonder how many distinguished Americans calling Trump a moron can dance on the head of a pin before Trump's true believer moron cultists will wake up and smell the covfefe.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago

how many of you can fit on the head of the pin?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    4 years ago

I can make myself invisible. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    4 years ago

So how many of you can fit on the head of a pin?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Tell those of us with an IQ above 110 we don't know Mr. Hume.