╌>

Trump Claims He Will “Negotiate” For A Third Term

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  17 comments

Trump Claims He Will “Negotiate” For A Third Term
President Trump said that he plans to “negotiate” to run again in 2024 if he wins reelection in November, his latest in a series of comments that have alarmed critics who say he has little regard for constitutional boundaries.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Forbes   reports :

President Trump said that he plans to “negotiate” to run again in 2024 if he wins reelection in November, his latest in a series of comments that have alarmed critics who say he has little regard for constitutional boundaries. During a rally in Nevada, Trump predicted he would win reelection and carry Nevada, a state he lost narrowly in 2016. “After that,” Trump said, “we’ll negotiate,” asserting that he’s “probably entitled to another four after that” based on “the way we were treated.”

The comments echo ones Trump made during a rally in Wisconsin in August, in which he stated he would win four more years and “go for another four years” because “they spied on my campaign,” likely referencing his unproven “Obamagate” theory. Michael Cohen, Trump’s former fixer-turned prolific critic, has argued that Trump’s comments should not be disregarded as humor, instead asserting that Trump believes he should be the “ruler” or “dictator” of the U.S. and wants to “change the Constitution.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

I don't think he is "kidding" at all.  This is what Putin does  -  reset the norms of his country so he can stay in power indefinitely.

At first I didn't think that "Trump won't leave if he loses" was a reality, but I am starting to come around.  Troops are going to have to enter the Oval Office and drag him out on Bidens inauguration day. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

www.businessinsider.com   /trump-negotiate-third-term-in-office-2020-9

Trump suggests he would 'negotiate' a 3rd term as president because he is 'probably entitled' to it

Connor Perrett Sep 13, 2020, 9:55 AM
5-6 minutes

• President Donald Trump on Saturday once more suggested he might spend three terms — 12 years — in office, saying he was "probably entitled" to it. 
  • Trump at times throughout his presidency has suggested he'd spend more than two terms in office.
  • The Constitution's 22nd Amendment, which was ratified in 1951, established that a president may not serve more than two terms.
  • Before the ratification of that amendment, Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected four consecutive times, serving 12 years as president before his death in 1945.

President Donald Trump on Saturday once again suggested interest in serving three terms in office, telling attendees of a campaign event in Nevada that he was "probably entitled" to an additional four years following a hypothetical second term.

"And 52 days from now we're going to win Nevada, and we're going to win four more years in the White House," Trump told the   mostly maskless, non-socially-distant crowd   of his supporters on Saturday. "And then after that, we'll negotiate, right? Because we're probably — based on the way we were treated — we are probably entitled to another four after that."

Trump has frequently argued that he's been   treated unfairly in comparison with his predecessors , often pointing to the   Russia investigation   and his   impeachment . Throughout his first term as president, Trump has also frequently floated the idea that he will attempt to serve more than two terms in office.

In August, at a rally in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, the president similarly suggested he was owed a third presidential term.

"We are going to win four more years," Trump said last month, according to   Yahoo News . "And then after that, we'll go for another four years because they spied on my campaign. We should get a redo of four years."

In November 2018, Trump told Fox News' Chris Wallace that   he would not seek a constitutional amendment   to permit him to serve more than two terms in office. He made the clarification after he had praised Chinese President Xi Jinping's abolishment of presidential term limits.

"He's now president for life. President for life. No, he's great." Trump said in March 2018. "And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll have to give that a shot someday."

"I think the eight-year limit is a good thing, not a bad thing," Trump later told Wallace in 2018, though he has continued to float the idea of a third term.

In June 2019, Trump told the "Meet the Press" host Chuck Todd that   he was only joking   when saying he'd try to serve more than two terms as president.

Presidents George Washington and Thomas Jefferson established an unofficial two-term limit, though President Franklin Delano Roosevelt was elected to the office four times, in 1932, 1936, 1940, and 1944, serving 12 years as president before his death in 1945. In February 1951, the 22nd Amendment was ratified, limiting American presidents to serving two terms in office.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

Won't it take a constitutional amendment to allow him to serve more than 2 terms?

If he does get elected this year he's not gonna make it to 2024

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1  sixpick  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    4 years ago
If he does get elected this year he's not gonna make it to 2024

You know, you may be right.  I wouldn't put anything past the the Democrats.  Remember Abraham Lincoln and Reagan for that matter.  Even Gerald Ford had two attempts against him.  Maybe it will be an actor, who knows, if some of the rhetoric we've heard materializes.  Maybe someone will blow up the White House.  After all, several would be Democrats have called him a murderer.  You know, none of his Cabinet are welcome anywhere. 

Trump just knows how to trigger those who do not have our better interest at hand.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  sixpick @4.1    4 years ago

I'm not talking about assassination (besides that's death wishing). He's old, he's in ill health, and he looks like he could keel over any day now. That's what I mean.

Of course, I don't relish the idea of Mike Pence as POUTUS, either

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  sixpick  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    4 years ago

You must be mistaking him for Biden.  Besides, he's not serious about negotiating a third term, either.  He's just exposing how delirious the MSM has become and how they control the emotions of those who follow them daily.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  sixpick @4.1.2    4 years ago
You must be mistaking him for Biden.

Pretty sure I'm not. Have you seen your president on the TV lately? He's obese, he's sloppy, and he can't even say "Motown" correctly. Hell, he can't even step down a ramp without help.

But continue in your delusions, Sixpick.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  sixpick @4.1.2    4 years ago
he's not serious about negotiating a third term, either.  He's just exposing how delirious the MSM has become and how they control the emotions of those who follow them daily.

Please. He's not exactly well versed in the Constitution, now is he? As far as "exposing the MSM"?

He doesn't even know how to manipulate his shoe strings let alone something as complicated as the MSM

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.1.5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  sixpick @4.1    4 years ago
Trump just knows how to trigger those who do not have our better interest at hand.

Spank yourself for that one.  Better yet, let me do it.

giphy.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.5    4 years ago

Good Gawd! Is that ruler made out of oak?

Professor Guide
4.1.7  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.6    4 years ago
Good Gawd! Is that ruler made out of oak?

1010016264.jpg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.7    4 years ago

I guess it's a good thing it's not a yard stick

Professor Guide
5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

I think he will try every trick in the book to stay in office after he loses in November.  He's been setting up the scenario since his inauguration.  

sixpick
Professor Quiet
5.1  sixpick  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5    4 years ago

I don't think so, Sister.  Unlike Obama, every time a circuit court has ruled against him he has followed their ruling.

If I were him, I believe I would be thrilled to lose the election, but thank God I'm not him.  I couldn't stand the constant agony of being in a pen with a bunch of rabid dogs for the last 3 years.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick @5.1    4 years ago

One has to wonder why you support a total asshole. You think you should inflict this daily nonsense and chaos on this country for another four YEARS? [Deleted]

Professor Guide
5.1.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  sixpick @5.1    4 years ago
I don't think so, Sister.  Unlike Obama, every time a circuit court has ruled against him he has followed their ruling.

You have your good points, but I think I need to see a link for that declaration.

I couldn't stand the constant agony of being in a pen with a bunch of rabid dogs for the last 3 years.

I thought you liked Ivanka and Jared and Junior and Eric and the rest.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I recall watching a movie years ago about Nixon, and there was this scene when during his first term he was in the Oval Office with his top staff, voicing concern about the impending Republican National Convention when a candidate was to be chosen, because he wasn't sure he would be picked, and Kissinger walks in and tells him he has arranged for him to go to China to meet Mao and to open trade relations providing America with a billion new customers, and that on his return he will walk into the convention with the biggest first vote majority in history appointing him as candidate.  Nixon walks over to Kissinger and hugs him and says "Henry, you're a genius".  He then goes and sits down and asks if they should consider a constitutional amendment for a third term.  Maybe Trump saw that movie.