╌>

Senate Republicans preparing for 'potentially catastrophic' election blowout with 12 seats now in play: report

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  10 comments

By:   Tom Boggioni

Senate Republicans preparing for 'potentially catastrophic' election blowout with 12 seats now in play: report
What was once four or five Republican seats in the Senate that appeared endangered or already lost on November 3rd has grown to a dozen, reports Politico as top GOP officials find themselves on their heels on multiple fronts. According to the report, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) could be looking at his last […]

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Published

1 min ago

on

October 25, 2020

By

Tom Boggionigraham-mcconnell.jpg ShareTweet

What was once four or five Republican seats in the Senate that appeared endangered or already lost on November 3rd has grown to a dozen, reports Politico as top GOP officials find themselves on their heels on multiple fronts.

According to the report, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) could be looking at his last days controlling the Senate that has been notable more for packing the courts than passing legislation that helps the country during his tenure.

While Republican Senate seats in Maine, Colorado, North Carolina and Arizona already appear to be lost causes for the GOP leadership, Politico's James Arkin reported that more GOP senators are finding themselves "scrambling" in more states than the party had planned for.

"Republicans are scrambling resources into red and purple states alike — from Kansas and South Carolina to Iowa and North Carolina — cutting down Democrats' massive financial edge and hoping for a late-breaking turn in their favor, similar to four years ago. But their defensive posture underscores just how broad the playing field is, with nearly a dozen Republican senators in various levels of danger, and only two Democratic seats at risk," wrote Arkin.

According to Josh Holmes, a top adviser to McConnell, all is not lost and the party won't be wiped out before cautioning, "the low-water mark is potentially catastrophic."

"What was a significant downturn for most Republican candidates over the last couple weeks has sort of rebounded a bit," Holmes elaborated. "All of these competitive races are within the margin of error, and you could have a whole bunch of scenarios play out on Election Day. The options are basically endless."

Noting that "Democratic campaigns have spending advantages over Republicans in 12 of the 13 most competitive states," the report goes on to point out that the GOP is shoring up campaigns in Iowa, Montana, Alaska, South Carolina and Texas.

"The map is very tight. It is on a knife's edge," lamented one Republican strategist working on the races.

According to Democratic strategists, their party has benefitted from a Republican Party severely damaged by four years of Donald Trump.

"Democrats' expansion of the map came thanks to strong recruiting in a handful of unexpected places, incredible fundraising across the board and a nosedive in Trump's numbers over the summer and into the fall. In states like Kansas, Alaska, Montana and South Carolina, Democrats fielded candidates that put races that would otherwise be afterthoughts into play, though recent public polling shows Republicans narrowly leading in all four," Arkin wrote.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Maybe McConnell's skin discolorations are caused by overwhelming anxiety. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Makes me think Mitch had COVID  a few weeks ago when he was coughing regularly.

Covid does some strange things to people.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    4 years ago

He got the China Virus from his wife.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    4 years ago

Wouldn't surprise me.

Amazes me the people in power that think we don't have a right to know about things.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

I am amazed that he doesn't even have to campaign. That he just runs around doing whatever he wants like he is a shoe in. No need to worry about it.

Him and Graham are the two I would love to see lose.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Gsquared  replied to  Ender @1.2    4 years ago

And Collins, Ernst, Tillis, Gardner, McSally, Cornyn, Perdue and Daines.  I would also love to see Sullivan and Loeffler get beat, but that's pretty unlikely.  Cotton losing would be the best thing I can image, but that's not going to happen.  In fact, every Republican who loses will be a very welcome thing.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Ender  replied to  Gsquared @1.2.1    4 years ago

I would add Murkowski too.

I do not think we should vote on the SC nominee...I am going to vote for the SC nominee...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @1.2.2    4 years ago

her comments made it clear that she didn't really want the GOP to hold the vote, but that she certainly wasn't going to hold it against a qualified SCOTUS nominee.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Gsquared  replied to  Ender @1.2.2    4 years ago

Murkowski, yes, but she is not up for re-election this year.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.2.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Ender @1.2    4 years ago
Him and Graham are the two I would love to see lose.

Absolutely! I would not trust that two-faced Graham to represent my cats poop. And the other is even worse. And why should he worry about his not winning, his Chinese wife has a lot of strings and money she can count on to make sure he does win.