╌>

A HISTORY LESSON IN PHOTOS 

Category:  History & Sociology

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  3 years ago  •  62 comments

BUZZ NOTE:  There were emailed to me by my brother.

A photo can be worth a thousand words, but historical photos are worth so much more .   

These photos are real, with no photo-shopping or editing, whatsoever.    ..  

nwtyimy6y0bknsoi.jpg

Women protesting forced Hijab, a few days after the revolution in Iran, 1979.

0sgfbkzkc85oj1hr.jpg

German prisoners of war in American camps are shown footage of German concentration camps, 1945.

lxtsgjhpt7j8cjgs.jpg

U.S. President Lyndon Johnson listens to a tape sent by Captain    Charles Robb (his son-in-law) from Vietnam,

i0ik4poa88iwdkrd.jpg

The astronauts’ wives on the Apollo 8 mission, as    they heard their husbands voices    from orbit, 1968.

qc7dq5o2ohujvg77.jpg

Boy receiving a new pair of shoes at an orphanage in Austria, 1946.

yq40uv22msja4sap.jpg

The Great Sphinx of Giza partially excavated, 1860’s.

yjaqlxxsz3as5xa6.jpg

The 3245-year-old seal on Tutankhamen's tomb before it was broken in 1922.

2zwmp8vlmhte7p16.jpg

1966: Before the creation of the EPA, New York was one of America's most polluted cities.

yhgul5dehaupucr5.jpg

Princess Diana and Prince Harry at an amusement park, April 1992.

q3fhi3nwvvuhzrrx.jpg

Marilyn Monroe performing for the thousands of allied troops in Korea, February 11th, 1954.

p8gjdqozmrmcty49.jpg

Judy Garland taking a break during filming of  The Wizard of Oz , 1938.

qlqmdi2vrephth59.jpg

Elvis Presley being sworn into his compulsory army service. Arkansas, 1958.

tqzydl3atxapygsa.jpg

Private James Hendrix of the 101st Airborne, playing    guitar at Fort Campbell Kentucky in 1962.

6mlizxmasea8cszp.jpg

Ruth Lee flies a Chinese flag while sunbathing on her day off in Miami,    December 15th, 1941.  Lee, who worked as  a hostess at a Chinese restaurant    at the time, flew the flag, so that she would not be mistaken for Japanese in the wake of the infamous attack on Pearl Harbor a week earlier.

0d0shhhgfn2qxnyj.jpg

Last photo of the Titanic. This photograph was taken by    John Morrogh  at around 2 PM on April 11th 1912 as Titanic    was leaving Queenstown, Ireland.   It's confirmed that this    is the last photo of the famous liner.

imt9c2qkaggayfi3.jpg  

Giant manta ray captured on the coast of New Jersey in 1933.

dxfaomtw1fpb7p7a.jpg  

Assembling the  Sears  and  Roebuck  catalog, 1942.

qilut4dxnjppyjdh.jpg

The photo above was used on a postcard in the 1920s.  It represented a    common [daredevil] practice at the time;  playing tennis on a wing of a    plane as it would cruise at up to 60 miles per hour.

pll2yo6ivkvgicsb.jpg

Marilyn Monroe was married three times, although when she died in 1962,   she was only 36-years-old. 

Her first husband was James Dougherty, a police    officer from L.A.  They got married when Monroe was 16 years old.

w0ubgcly6hjmtq8p.jpg

This photo was published in  The Vidette-Messenger of Valparaiso in 1948.  Due to a poor financial situation, this family decided to sell their children.  They were all sold within two years, including a baby the mother was  pregnant with when the photo was taken.

8rp3fujeidgxgorx.jpg

World chess champion Garry Kasparov was beaten by a computer in 1997. This was the sign of what artificial intelligence could do and we're seeing the progress day after day.

ucs2lyt1zqs7dbw3.jpg

In the 1960s, airlines first introduced "first-class": a modern, more luxurious    way of travelling compared 

with the single class everyone had before. Those were the days.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

This was emailed to me by my brother.  Although I've some of the photos previously, I have not seen most of them before.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    3 years ago

Woo, when it comes to my typing, I'm definitely losing it.  "Although I've SEEN some of the photos previously....."

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    3 years ago

Thank you Buzz.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.2  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    3 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Incredible photos.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3  devangelical  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    3 years ago

very cool.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

Cool seed!

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

great seed/photos, Buzz.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4  shona1    3 years ago

Heart breaking photo of the children for sale...wonder what happened to them and their Mum...have to be so desperate to do that...

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @4    3 years ago

It is a sad shona. Difficult to imagine having to do that and how it affected the kids and the parents.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @4    3 years ago

I felt the same when I saw that photo..

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    3 years ago

Hey Buzz, did you hear the news? The man that took the famous old war pic 'napalm girl', was leaving a restaurant or something and someone attacked him. Beat him up.

Said he was in his seventies and in town for something and attacked.

This just happened to him a couple of days ago. No one knows of any motive.

Sometimes I hate people.   Haha

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @5    3 years ago

No. I assume that happened somewhere in America.  What the hell is happening there - does the virus affect people's brains?

The famous photo he took.

“Napalm Girl”: The Photo that Changed the World - Humphrey ...

“Napalm Girl”   is a famous   photo   that shocked the U.S. public in 1972 about the terror of the Vietnam war. The   picture   shows a naked 9-year-old   girl,   screaming in pain for help and running toward the cameras of international journalists.

img_109635_nickut_450dpix12_p.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    3 years ago
What the hell is happening there - does the virus affect people's brains?

The short answer to that is Yes. In some cases even after people seem to have "totally recovered" from the Virus. But that's another topic.

I saw the craziness begin to increase greatly-- right after Trump was inaugurated. He's done more to divide this country than any president in recent memory.

He uses an old trick that all dictators use. Scare people. Ginn up immense hatreds.Warn them that they are in great danger-- from an "enemy". 

And next-- instill the belief that the danger is real-- but only he can protect the people!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1.1    3 years ago
I saw the craziness begin to increase greatly-- right after Trump was inaugurated. He's done more to divide this country than any president in recent memory.

He uses an old trick that all dictators use. Scare people. Ginn up immense hatreds.Warn them that they are in great danger-- from an "enemy". 

And next-- instill the belief that the danger is real-- but only he can protect the people!

BTW, a key aspect of this are the constant lies. As absurd as many of them are, they are repeated over and over...endlessly. And eventually the nindless cult members start to believe them.

A recent seed gives some excellent examples of this-- in current day America!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5.1.1    3 years ago
Warn them that they are in great danger-- from an "enemy". 

He has done that himself and through his mouthpiece Pompous Pompeo.  China is NOT America's enemy, it is one of its best customers and suppliers (and vice versa) so why the hell would they want America to consider it to be, as one ignorant member of this site has said, America's number one enemy (other than to kneel in homage to his chosen God, Trump).  

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
5.1.4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    3 years ago
No. I assume that happened somewhere in America. 

From NBC:

He detailed the attack in an Instagram post.

"He knocked me down and hurt my ribs, back and left leg. Same leg I have metal in from mortar in Vietnam War," Ut wrote. "Secret Service so fast to come over and help."

Mark Edward Harris, a fellow award-winning photographer and longtime friend of Ut, told NBC Washington, that he took a photo of Ut after the attack. He said the suspect was caught by police.

The day before the attack, Ut had received the National Medal of Arts award from President Donald Trump. The Secret Service did not immediately return a request for comment on Saturday and it's not clear whether Ut was targeted or the attack was random.

Talk about a huge WTF!   

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  Krishna  replied to  Ender @5    3 years ago
This just happened to him a couple of days ago. No one knows of any motive.

I wonder if he was recognized as the person who took the photo, and was beat up for that?

Or not recognized, and it was just a random act of violence... which are becoming more common now-a-days...

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Ender  replied to  Krishna @5.2    3 years ago

I just had a sneaky feeling that someone knew who he was.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @5.2.1    3 years ago

But what did he do that was wrong?  Expose the viciousness of a nation that thinks it has to be the world's policeman and dump napalm on a whole village of innocent women and children?  Isn't it enough that America had already fried the innocent women and children in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.3  Krishna  replied to  Ender @5.2.1    3 years ago
I just had a sneaky feeling that someone knew who he was.

I had the same feeling. And that the perp was one of those "super-patriots" who didn't like the photo because it "Made America look bad"....

(But hey-- there's nothing wrong with Napalming little kids...after all, they might be...Communists!)

/sarc

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Good photos of days of yore. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
7  Krishna    3 years ago

Women protesting forced Hijab, a few days after the revolution in Iran, 1979

The forced Hijab (which none of them are wearing!)

But of course soon things would be about to change...

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @7    3 years ago

Here are some photos of what Iran was like before the Islamic revolution:

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @7.1    3 years ago

I flew into Tehran twice, fifteen years ago. Women were perhaps a third of the passengers. Few wore headscarves... until we started the descent... when all of them put on a scarf.

The flight out was the same, in reverse. Ten minutes after take-off, there were almost no scarves.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.1    3 years ago

For some reason I have always been interested in Persian culture. (Its one of the two countries I'd most like to visit-- if they ever get rid of their current governments).

While apparently there's a portion of the populace who are extremely conservative (and religiously fundamentalist) there are others who are very progressive ..and highly evolved.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @7.1.2    3 years ago

I went there on an auditing mission, so I spent my time in factories. One of which was managed by a very forceful woman, who of course wore a scarf. The other woman who stands out in my memory was the manager of a quality lab. I don't remember her professional side, but she was gorgeous!

The people I met were well-educated, so I can't speak about the larger proletariat. The people I met took about ten seconds to figure out that I wasn't a police spy, and then they laid into the ayatollahs. Mainly they criticized the ayatollahs' managerial incompetence. Iran is not a simple theocracy; it is also something of a kleptocracy. The ayatollahs live well...

At the same time, they pretty much agreed with the ayatollahs about America. They know the history of relations between the two countries far better than most Seen from their side, America is indeed the Great Satan.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.4  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.3    3 years ago
I don't remember her professional side, but she was gorgeous!

Interesting you should say that.

I've met a fair number of Persians (here in the U.S.-- especially in the L.A. area). And over time I've noticed that most of the women have this interesting quality-- which I find to be very attractive! Most of them struck me as being extremely beautiful. But it may just be that they have a certain kind of charisma,, or? Its hard to define what it is.

Maybe the way they carry themselves, or their facial expressions. (Their "demeanor"?) 

I don't know what it is, but many of them have that trait.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.3    3 years ago
America is indeed the Great Satan.

I remember what America's role was in Latin America as well for some time. That was a while back. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @7.1.5    3 years ago

I doubt you need a refresher...

Since the 1950s America has 

• Overthrown a democratically elected government
  • Installed a bloody secret police (Savak) to support a puppet ''monarch'', the Shah
  • Fed satellite intelligence to Saddam Hussein (yup!) to help him target his poison-gas artillery shells, against Iranian soldiers.

Maintained sanctions unilaterally.

Iranians don't see America as the Great Satan because the ayatollahs say so. They see America as the Great Satan because America has behaved that way.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.7  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.6    3 years ago

Americans ignore the truth, that America caused the problem, because it would not fit its superiority complex.  The continuation of that is doing whatever is possible to prevent China to become the number one economy and gain an influential position among the nations of the world.  Now, why is that?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.7    3 years ago

America FIRST!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.9  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.6    3 years ago

I doubt you need a refresher...

Correct!

(in some areas I am actually better informed that many people on Social Media sites realize. Its just that sometimes I act a bit stupid...sometimes  I'm just "trying to fit in"!)

Since the 1950s America has 

• Overthrown a democratically elected government
    • Installed a bloody secret police (Savak) to support a puppet ''monarch'', the Shah
    • Fed satellite intelligence to Saddam Hussein (yup!) to help him target his poison-gas artillery shells, against Iranian soldiers.

Maintained sanctions unilaterally.

Iranians don't see America as the Great Satan because the ayatollahs say so. They see America as the Great Satan because America has behaved that way.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.10  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @7.1.9    3 years ago

Since the 1950s America has . . . 

And to cite but one example of what we did in Latin America-- there's the example of our support of Fulgencio Batista:

Fulgencio Batista was a Cuban military officer and politician and as its U.S.-backed leader from 1952 to 1959. 

He appointed himself chief of the armed forces , and effectively controlled the five-member "pentarchy" that functioned as the collective head of state.

He maintained this control through a string of puppet presidents until 1940, when he was himself elected President of Cuba on a populist platform.

Batista moved to Florida, returning to Cuba to run for president in 1952. Facing certain electoral defeat, he led a military coup against President Carlos Prío Socarrás that pre-empted the election.

...back in power and receiving financial, military and logistical support from the United States government. .. suspended the 1940 Constitution and revoked most political liberties . . . 

He then aligned with the wealthiest landowners who owned the largest sugar plantations, and presided over a stagnating economy that widened the gap between rich and poor Cubans.

Eventually it reached the point where most of the sugar industry was in U.S. hands, and foreigners owned 70% of the arable land.

Batista's repressive government then began to systematically profit from the exploitation of Cuba's commercial interests, by negotiating lucrative relationships with both the American Mafia, who controlled the drug, gambling, and prostitution businesses, and with large U.S.-based multinational companies who were awarded lucrative contracts.

To quell the growing discontent amongst the populace—Batista established tighter censorship of the media, while also utilizing his Bureau for the Repression of Communist Activities secret police to carry out wide-scale violence, torture and public executions.

Many people were killed, with estimates ranging from hundreds to about 20,000 people killed.

[Note: The above edited for brevity... you can read the entire article here: 

Fulgencio Batista

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @7.1.9    3 years ago
Its just that sometimes I act a bit stupid

You succeed brilliantly!

jrSmiley_34_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.12  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @7.1.10    3 years ago

I just read the entire Wikipedia article. Batista was an awful person, who screwed the Cuban people sideways, while skimming a bundle for himself.

So of course the US supported him.

Reading the article, it's impossible not to understand why the Cuban people welcomed Castro - or anyone else who'd get rid of Batista!

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.13  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @7.1.10    3 years ago

The Mafia was a large part of the Batista regime.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.14  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @7.1.13    3 years ago

Your link agrees with Krishna's. Batista was a monster... whom we, the United States of America, supported.

Castro is the consequence of our own disastrous policy... just as the ayatollahs are the consequence of our own disastrous policy... and the Taliban are the consequence of our own disastrous policy...

Does anyone see a pattern here?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.15  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.8    3 years ago

superiority complex  (dictionary definition)

NOUN

an attitude of superiority which conceals actual feelings of inferiority and failure.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.16  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.15    3 years ago

"Manifest Destiny"

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.17  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.16    3 years ago

painting-of-spirit-guiding-settlers.jpg

Yes, manifest destiny, notwithstanding the theft of Indian lands, BUT NOT THE WHOLE WORLD.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.18  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.11    3 years ago
Its just that sometimes I act a bit stupid
You succeed brilliantly!

I take that as a compliment!

But I realize I wasn't being clear. What I had intended to say was:

Its just that sometimes I deliberately act a bit stupid

Especially on Social Media... jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.19  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.17    3 years ago

Why not?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.20  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.19    3 years ago

Okay, try, but there is competition.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.21  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.20    3 years ago

It'd be rough to screw things up worse.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.22  Krishna  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1.14    3 years ago

Actually I only posted that info re; Battista because i figured some people here may be familiar with what we did in Cuba.

But during a period of time (I forget the exact years) we supported several other equally horrendous dictators in Latin America.

Basically, we were so afraid of "Communism" that we supported any leader who was strongly anti-Communist (or said he was!)-- no matter how horrible that dictator was.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.23  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.17    3 years ago
Yes, manifest destiny, notwithstanding the theft of Indian lands, BUT NOT THE WHOLE WORLD.

Actaully this part of the discussion makes me think of trump's slogan:

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Which seems to imply two things:

1. Currently we are not great! (After all, if we actually were "great"-- there's be no need to say "Make America Great"-- because we'e already be great!

2. And ending the phrase with the word "Again". So since the phrase implies we are not currently great-- the "Again" implies that at some time in the past-- we were great!

Which raises yet another intriguing question: 

If at some point in the past we were great-- when was that?

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.24  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @7.1.23    3 years ago

Which raises yet another intriguing question: 

If at some point in the past we were great-- when was that?

Fortunately we don't have to attempt to figure that out. Because in this video:

The Best F#@king News Team searches the Republican National Convention to better understand Trump's slogan, "Make America Great Again."

[Buzz: its Comedy Central, The Daily Show, Jordan Klepper, When was America great?]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.25  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @7.1.22    3 years ago
Basically, we were so afraid of "Communism" 

That's surely part of it.

Also, America has considered Latin America to be a private playground ever since the promulgation of the '' Monroe Doctrine '' in 1823. We've  routinely overthrown governments and installed others.

When we weren't actively engaged,we were always behind the curtain, pulling strings.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.26  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @7.1.24    3 years ago

You mean this?

I just spent that past half hour laughing at Trevor Noah clips.  And there was a Comedy Central / Daily Show one on how Wuhan was dealing with the virus that was great as well. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

Well done Buzz.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
9  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    3 years ago

I love these historical photos. 

I also feel for that woman selling her kids. Not only because that's what they're being reduced to, but it leaves a lot of unanswered questions too... moreover, I hate to think the worst, but humans are despicable and I'm trying NOT to think about what those kids were being bought for or by whom.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1  Krishna  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @9    3 years ago
I hate to think the worst, but humans are despicable

Human are despicable?

I resemble that remark!

Of course you don't know me well, but I can assure you that I am:

1. A human,

and

2.I am  not despicable!

(Actually, to the best of my knowledge,  the vast majority of people on this site are human-- and IMHO the vast majority are not despicable!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
9.1.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Krishna @9.1    3 years ago

When my daughter was in the 5th grade, two guys tried kidnapping her for sex trafficking. So, yes many human's are despicable.

des·pi·ca·ble
/dəˈspikəb(ə)l/
adjective
  1. deserving hatred and contempt.
    "a despicable crime"

And by the above definition, a lot of people around here think others as despicable.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @9.1.1    3 years ago

Let's say there are many humans who are despicable.  I don't think you meant to generalize to that extent.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1.3  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.2    3 years ago
Let's say there are many humans who are despicable.  I don't think you meant to generalize to that extent.

I took a course in "Communication Skills".

After a few specific tips were mentioned, the Professor summed up the "secret" of clear communication. Which is:

Say what you mean!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @9.1.3    3 years ago

The item I retained was

''The responsibility for the success of any communication is the emetter's.''

The emetter knows what is intended, and can choose the appropriate words. The receptor can only work with whatever the emetter gives.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.5  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.1.4    3 years ago

Here's an emetter.

kellypostcard.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1.6  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.2    3 years ago
I don't think you meant to generalize to that extent.

You may be right.

(But of course that's speculation on your part).

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
9.1.7  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.1.2    3 years ago

Correct. While I may miss a word on occasion, that doesn't mean the context can't be understood.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
9.1.8  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Krishna @9.1.6    3 years ago
So, yes many human's are despicable.

This is my own quote... I did clarify in 9.1.1.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.9  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @9.1.7    3 years ago

I wasn't trying to be critical. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1.10  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @9.1.8    3 years ago

Yes you did clarify.