╌>

Capt. Tom Moore, WWII vet who raised millions for health-care workers, dies after COVID-19 hospitalization

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  3 comments

By:   Brendan Morrow (theweek)

Capt. Tom Moore, WWII vet who raised millions for health-care workers, dies after COVID-19 hospitalization
The Queen is sending a private message of condolence to the family of Captain Sir Tom Moore. Her Majesty very much enjoyed meeting Captain Sir Tom and his family at Windsor last year. Her thoughts and those of the Royal Family are with them. pic.twitter.com/nl1krvoUlW — The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) February 2, 2021

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

R.I.P.Edit

12:53 p.m.

Capt. Tom Moore, the British World War II veteran who raised tens of millions of dollars for health-care workers during the COVID-19 pandemic, has died at 100.

Moore's family confirmed his death on Tuesday, days after he was hospitalized with COVID-19.

Moore generated headlines in April 2020 after raising money for NHS Charities Together by walking 100 laps around his garden. While his initial goal was $1,250, he ultimately raised about 33 million pounds, or $40 million, CBS News reports. When he turned 100, over 140,000 birthday cards poured in, including from Queen Elizabeth II, who would later knight him.

"I have been overwhelmed by the many honours I have received over the past weeks," Moore tweeted after being knighted. "But there is simply nothing that can compare to this, I am overwhelmed with pride and joy."

The Royal Family's official Twitter account paid tribute to Moore on Tuesday, writing that the queen is "sending a private message of condolence" to his family, adding, "Her Majesty very much enjoyed meeting Captain Sir Tom and his family at Windsor last year. Her thoughts and those of the Royal Family are with them." Brendan Morrow

The Queen is sending a private message of condolence to the family of Captain Sir Tom Moore.

Her Majesty very much enjoyed meeting Captain Sir Tom and his family at Windsor last year. Her thoughts and those of the Royal Family are with them. pic.twitter.com/nl1krvoUlW

— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) February 2, 2021

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

The old boy didnt make it. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    3 years ago

No!!  I had high hopes for his recovery...in spite of his age, etc.  I'll be sad, but not for long.  Just thinking about what he accomplished in his life, brings a smile.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    3 years ago

jrSmiley_124_smiley_image.gif