╌>

Joe Manchin Deals Blow to Democrats' Stimulus Plan, Won't Support It Without Bipartisan Agreement

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  47 comments

By:   Matthew Impelli (MSN)

Joe Manchin Deals Blow to Democrats' Stimulus Plan, Won't Support It Without Bipartisan Agreement
"I will only support moving in a bipartisan way," said the Democratic senator from West Virginia on Tuesday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Democratic Senator Joe Manchin said Tuesday he is opposed to passing an economic relief bill without bipartisan agreement.

© Pool/Getty Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) questions nominee for Secretary of Veterans Affairs Denis McDonough at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee on Capitol Hill January 27, 2021 in Washington, DC.

Asked by reporters if he would support a budget resolution to pass the legislation, Manchin said, "I will only support moving in a bipartisan way." He added, "That means an open process. I've been very clear about that."

Manchin also released a statement on his stance, where he said, "I will vote to move forward with the budget process because we must address the urgency of the COVID-19 crisis. But let me be clear—and these are words I shared with President Biden—our focus must be targeted on the COVID-19 crisis and Americans who have been most impacted by this pandemic."

"The President remains hopeful that we can have bipartisan support moving forward. I will only support proposals that will get us through and end the pain of this pandemic," the statement added. "For the sake of the country, we must work together with laser focus to defeat the COVID-19 crisis, support our neighbors and communities who continue to suffer and get back to a more normal life as quickly as possible."

Manchin's comments come just a day after Democratic leaders in the House and Senate filed a joint budget resolution in an effort to pass President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief plan without any Republican votes. The resolution was filed by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.

"Congress has a responsibility to quickly deliver immediate comprehensive relief to the American people hurting from COVID-19," Schumer and Pelosi said in a joint statement. "The cost of inaction is high and growing, and the time for decisive action is now."

But to pass the bill without bipartisan support, Democrats will need all members of their party to vote in favor.

Speaking with The Hill, Manchin also signaled his opposition to increasing the minimum wage to $15 per hour, which is part of Biden's plan.

"No, I'm not [in favor of the wage increase]. I'm supportive of basically having something that's responsible and reasonable," Manchin told The Hill.

While Manchin expressed his opposition to raising the minimum wage and passing the stimulus without bipartisan support, just last week Senator Dick Durbin confirmed that discussions were underway to pass the $15 minimum wage bill without any GOP support.

"It's being discussed. I don't know that a final decision has been reached," Durbin told The Hill while speaking about increasing the minimum wage through the budget reconciliation process.

Newsweek was directed to Manchin's statement after reaching out to his office for comment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

For those who may be unclear, the topic is NOT the source--Newsweek.

All comments about the source will be flagged off topic.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Gee, If Manchin doesn't sign on, and no member of the GOP votes for this, I guess having Harris as a deciding vote is a rather moot point now, isn't it?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago

Gee, If Manchin doesn't sign on, and no member of the GOP votes for this, I guess having Harris as a deciding vote is a rather moot point now, isn't it?

Are you happy about the continued pain of Americans as they deal with the pandemic and crashing economy? 

You seem ecstatic that they may not get the relief and help they need.  You also seem certain that all Republican Senators will march in lock-step to refuse to help their own constituents.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    3 years ago
Are you happy about the continued pain of Americans as they deal with the pandemic and crashing economy? 

No.

You seem ecstatic that they may not get the relief and help they need.  You also seem certain that all Republican Senators will march in lock-step to refuse to help their own constituents.

No. I can't be responsible for how you see things.

It does seem like you are a little miffed that Manchin is interested in strolling off the plantation, for however briefly.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    3 years ago
It does seem like you are a little miffed that Manchin is interested in strolling off the plantation, for however briefly.

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    3 years ago
removed for context

Please at least TRY to stay on topic. The topic is NOT me.

Thanks.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.3    3 years ago
Please at least TRY to stay on topic. The topic is NOT me.

It is when you misrepresent what I say, or try to tell me what I am thinking.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago

Yep, I guess 50 - Manchin = at least a debate. The negative here is that Manchin already gave a nod to reconciliation.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.3  charger 383  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago

Ozzwald & Texan, both stop with the You and Me stuff

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    3 years ago

So Manchin wants to be more important than the president of the United States now. They should tell him to go fuck himself. He cant even bring his state along with him for the Democratic candidate for president. West Virginia hasnt voted for the Democratic presidential candidate in all the time Manchin has been in office. 

Biden should work on getting one of the Republican senators to switch on this vote. There is no rule preventing a Republican from voting yes on reconciliation. 

One thing the Democrats need to do is make sure that a vote on the covid stimulus comes to a floor vote. Let's get these Republicans and Manchin on record denying 1400 dollar checks to their constituents. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago
So Manchin wants to be more important than the president of the United States now.

Since no evidence was presented with that claim, I'll just dismiss it.

They should tell him to go fuck himself.

Straight out of "How to Win Friends and Influence People"! LOL!

Looks like the Biden Admin. has stumbled out of the starting blocks.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago

You would think that since Manchin's state is close to last in everything that he would want to get the citizens of WV $1,400 check and of course money for the state government which is hurting. 

Oh well, he's got his.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @3.2    3 years ago
You would think that since Manchin's state is close to last in everything that he would want to get the citizens of WV $1,400 check and of course money for the state government which is hurting. 

Actually, one should probably read the article and then understand that Manchin is in favor of getting money to people who need it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Kavika   replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.1    3 years ago

Actually, one shouldn't make assumptions as you just did. 

Cheers.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.1    3 years ago

The Biden plan has the individual cutoff at 75,000 dollars a year.  The GOP plan has it at 50,000. The 50,000 figure would leave out most teachers, nurses, police officers and firefighters. 

I really want to see all these Republicans, and Joe Manchin explain to their voters why they went against this. 

When McConnell was in charge this type of thing would never even be brought for a vote if McConnell wasnt for it. 

That is no longer the case and these Republicans will have to vote no and then explain it to their constituents. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Kavika @3.2.2    3 years ago
Actually, one shouldn't make assumptions as you just did. 

What assumption do you claim I made now?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.5  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.3    3 years ago
The Biden plan has the individual cutoff at 75,000 dollars a year.  The GOP plan has it at 50,000. The 50,000 figure would leave out most teachers, nurses, police officers and firefighters. 

I don't see where Manchin opposed the amount or who was going to get it.

Please point it out for me.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.5    3 years ago
Actually, one should probably read the article and then understand that Manchin is in favor of getting money to people who need it.

So this sentence by you was meaningless? 

How do you determine who "needs it" unless you use their income as a basis? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.7  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.1    3 years ago

It's good he's in favor of that. But this is not a good time for him to be playing partisan politics.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.8  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.6    3 years ago

Just go right ahead and point out anywhere in the article that says Manchin is opposed to giving covid relief funds out.

Since he isn't opposed, you might have a tough time.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.9  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @3.2.7    3 years ago
It's good he's in favor of that. But this is not a good time for him to be playing partisan politics.

Is it a good time for the rest of the Democrats to play partisan politics?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.8    3 years ago
But let me be clear—and these are words I shared with President Biden—our focus must be targeted on the COVID-19 crisis and Americans who have been most impacted by this pandemic."

Don't ask me any more questions. I cant help you with your confusion. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.11  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.10    3 years ago

I am sure you would love it if I was confused, but I am not. No sense asking you any more questions.

BTFW, what question do you think I asked you?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.12  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.9    3 years ago

It's not a good time for partisan politics period! 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.13  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @3.2.12    3 years ago

Oh, ok, just wondering why you singled him out.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.14  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.11    3 years ago

[deleted]

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.15  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.13    3 years ago

Because he is the focus of the article.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago
So Manchin wants to be more important than the president of the United States now.

How dare he challenge the left's Trojan Horse King?

They should tell him to go fuck himself. 

Yep, oh does the left love absolute power!

He cant even bring his state along with him for the Democratic candidate for president. West Virginia hasnt voted for the Democratic presidential candidate in all the time Manchin has been in office. 

Perhaps democrat presidential candidates should stop telling WV voters that they want to take their jobs away?

Biden should work on getting one of the Republican senators to switch on this vote. There is no rule preventing a Republican from voting yes on reconciliation. 

That's the nasty part to this. Although Manchin wants debate, he has already gone along with reconciliation. That may mean this was all for show and the American people will get their covid relief, but 170 Billion will go to schools that the Teachers Union have no intention of returning to, about 250 Billion for fiscally dysfunctional blue states and lots more for the dems special interest groups. A minimum wage is also stuck in there. Progressives must be beaming.

One thing the Democrats need to do is make sure that a vote on the covid stimulus comes to a floor vote. 

Ya, let's play politics too! Funny how Pelosi was in no rush before the election.

Let's get these Republicans and Manchin on record denying 1400 dollar checks to their constituents. 

$1,400 for Americans and much more for democrat special interests.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    3 years ago

144439718_10219566781663002_2994878731530723925_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=PO1o66qFmxsAX9pxjs6&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=24a062250bed4fde1b76374dc546665c&oe=6040866E

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @4    3 years ago

Kind of hate breaking news to you, but one branch is not controlled by the GOP or Democrats, and has nothing to do with passing tax cuts or increases.

I won't even bother touching on the gross mischaracterization of tax cuts.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 years ago

What an idiot. Has the past four years taught him nothing?

There is no compromise.

Edit: That was suppose to be a lone comment, not directed at you.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 years ago
'I won't even bother touching on the gross mischaracterization of tax cuts.'

Because there was no 'gross micharacterization' of taxcuts

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.2    3 years ago
Because there was no 'gross micharacterization' of taxcuts

Sure there was.

I could provide links, but I know how you feel about those types of things............so.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    3 years ago
What an idiot. Has the past four years taught him nothing?

Well, he is a Democrat. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.4    3 years ago

There is a difference between an idiot and a bat shit crazy moron.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.3    3 years ago

I feel strongly about people providing FACTS

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.7  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.6    3 years ago
I feel strongly about people providing FACTS

I am sure you do--just as long as those facts aren't in any links!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.8  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @4.1.5    3 years ago
There is a difference between an idiot and a bat shit crazy moron.

I will bow to your expertise on idiots and bat shit crazy morons.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.8    3 years ago

You too can earn a degree. They are easy to spot.

Hint: Look for the Q on their lapel.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.10  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @4.1.9    3 years ago

Naw--I'll just stick with your obvious expertise!

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    3 years ago

[deleted]

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6  Split Personality    3 years ago
Speaking with The Hill, Manchin also signaled his opposition to increasing the minimum wage to $15 per hour, which is part of Biden's plan.

I agree with Manchin, from $7.50 all the way to $15.00 is not only not related to COVID relief, it's just too far.

It looks like a pawn that is expendable in the long run.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @6    3 years ago

All keeping the minimum wage low does is force the government to subsidize low wage employers by transferring the burden of help to low wage earners from the employer to the government. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    3 years ago
All keeping the minimum wage low does is force the government to subsidize low wage employers by transferring the burden of help to low wage earners from the employer to the government. 

And that can easily be addressed in a separate bill.

Let's focus on Covid-relief for now. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    3 years ago
Brittany Jones Myers
@MedSurg_Momma
·
2m @Sen_JoeManchin
I'm a WV constituent. You NEED to vote with the democrats for the current covid bill. You are going to screw families like mine and we will not get a stimulus. And..you surely won't get another vote from us. Vote for it, Joe. Or say bye to your senate seat.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @7    3 years ago

The poor woman is delusional, obviously.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8  Mark in Wyoming     3 years ago

Im guessing that dems are finding out things wont be a walk in the park having total control.....