╌>

Heidi Cruz Group Texts Show Trip to Escape 'FREEZING' Home

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  98 comments

By:   Zachary Petrizzo (Mediaite)

Heidi Cruz Group Texts Show Trip to Escape 'FREEZING' Home
Leaked Heidi Cruz group texts reportedly show hastily planned trip to escape 'FREEZING' home: 'Anyone can or want to leave for the week?'

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Zachary PetrizzoFeb 18th, 2021, 8:10 pm

heidi-cruz.jpg

Group text messages sent by Heidi Cruz , wife of Texas Sen. Ted Cruz (R), show that the family's Cancun controversial getaway was a last-minute decision, one that came after she invited other friends in what was an attempt on her part to flee the Cruz'a "FREEZING" home.

The chats, leaked to the New York Times and included in a Thursday evening story, reveal the Senator's spouse making the pitch for coming along with her family, noting that the hotel where she would be staying has plenty of rooms and that families can get a Covid test before they return.

"Anyone can or want to leave for the week?" Cruz wrote on the group text. "We may go to Cancun." The Senator's wife also pitched a "direct flight" and "hotels w capacity. Seriously."

"Text messages sent from Ms. Cruz to friends and Houston neighbors on Wednesday revealed a hastily planned trip. Their house was 'FREEZING,' as Ms. Cruz put it," the Times reported. "She proposed a getaway until Sunday. Ms. Cruz invited others to join them at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun, where they had stayed 'many times,' noting the room price this week ($309 per night) and its good security."

After Cruz's departure to Mexico was tracked — and torn apart online for its callous timing during the massive Texas blackouts — the GOP Senator abruptly returned to Texas on Thursday afternoon, where he blamed his daughters for the untimely vacation.

"Yesterday my daughters asked if they could take a trip with some friends, and Heidi and I agreed, so I flew down with them last night, dropped them off here, and now I'm headed back to Texas and back to continue the work to try and get the power on. What's happening in Texas is unacceptable," Cruz stated.

When he arrived home, he offered yet another admission of his poor decision-making, even as protestors chanting "Resign!" could be heard in the background.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Text messages sent from Ms. Cruz to friends and Houston neighbors on Wednesday revealed a hastily planned trip. Their house was “FREEZING,” as Ms. Cruz put it — and she proposed a getaway until Sunday. Ms. Cruz invited others to join them at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancún, where they had stayed “many times,” noting the room price this week ($309 per night) and its good security. The text messages were provided to The New York Times and confirmed by a second person on the thread, who declined to be identified because of the private nature of the texts.

For more than 12 hours after the airport departure photos first emerged, Mr. Cruz’s office declined to comment on his whereabouts. The Houston police confirmed that the senator’s office had sought their assistance for his airport trip on Wednesday, and eventually Mr. Cruz was spotted wheeling his suitcase in Mexico on Thursday as he returned to the state he represents in the Senate.
As the Cruzes were away, millions of Texans were still without electricity, many had no running water and the icy air that swept into the state was so severe that the Federal Emergency Management Agency had been activated to send supplies, including generators. Some  searched neighborhoods for discarded fallen trees  to burn for warmth.

“What’s happening in Texas is unacceptable,” Mr. Cruz told  a television crew  at the Cancún airport. He was wearing a Texas state flag mask and a short-sleeved polo shirt tucked into his jeans; the temperature in Cancún was above 80 degrees Fahrenheit   on Thursday, and in the 30s in Houston.

After landing back in the United States, Mr. Cruz offered a new statement with a different tone from earlier in the day, when he had tried to explain the vacation without regrets and left the impression that it might have always been a one-day trip for him. Speaking to reporters after his arrival home, he conceded that the trip was “obviously a mistake” and said he had begun having “second thoughts” as soon as he boarded the plane to Mexico intent on a few days of remote work in the sun.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Which 'excuse' are we supposed to believe?  Last minute vacation or planned trip where Ted was just going to accompany them and fly right back?  Couldn't his wife had done that?  Why did he need to go too?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

NYT has smoking gun evidence that Cruz and his wife left Texas to escape "freezing" temperatures in their home, while millions of others froze but without the means or ability to "escape".  The Sen Cruz lied about it.

Lock him up, lol.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

I guess we're just jealous because we cannot just up and go to Cancun at a moment's notice.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    3 years ago

I hope he drank the water and ate food grown in night soil while there.  If anyone deserves Montezuma's Revenge and E Coli big time, it is Cruz.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago
NYT has smoking gun evidence that Cruz and his wife left Texas to escape "freezing" temperatures in their home, while millions of others froze but without the means or ability to "escape".  The Sen Cruz lied about it.

Don't forget that he violated quarantine guidelines when he returned.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

152482624_4065670770139404_5788756791440733625_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=yqG_1SAci44AX-18yFF&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=b2c02d69541736f9322b1a8a2ab03064&oe=6054A455

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @3    3 years ago
Text messages sent from Ms. Cruz to friends and Houston neighbors on Wednesday revealed a hastily planned trip. Their house was “FREEZING,” as Ms. Cruz put it — and she proposed a getaway until Sunday. Ms. Cruz invited others to join them at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancún, where they had stayed “many times,” noting the room price this week ($309 per night) and its good security. The text messages were provided to The New York Times and confirmed by a second person on the thread, who declined to be identified because of the private nature of the texts.

Their friends ratted them out, lol. Even the Cruz' friends were appalled. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    3 years ago
Their friends ratted them out, lol. Even the Cruz' friends were appalled.

Yet he will probably sail through re-election next time.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.1    3 years ago

ted didn't exactly sail through the last time. I wonder what the recall process is like in texas and if anyone will try it.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  devangelical @3.1.2    3 years ago

How about we put this bit of Cruz nonsense back in the drawer as we have some bigger issues to deal with.  We'll pull it out as necessary..... say election time, or possibly when he opens his self serving mouth again when criticizing people that really give a shit about America and her people.....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.1.3    3 years ago

I dont think this incident could result in a recall, but I also dont think there is anything wrong with giving his big mistake a lot of coverage. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.2    3 years ago
I wonder what the recall process is like in texas and if anyone will try it.

Texas does not offer recalls on US Senators.

Someone MAY be dumb enough to try, however.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.1.3    3 years ago
How about we put this bit of Cruz nonsense back in the drawer...

Exactly.

We won't constantly harp on Cancún Cruz's intimate support of his constituents in their moment of misery.

Memes would be cruel.

original

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.7  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.5    3 years ago
Someone MAY be dumb enough to try, however.

of course you're right. what was I thinking? there's obviously no shortage of corporate ass lickers and racist trump dick suckers in that state, and little to no daylight showing between either group.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @3.1.7    3 years ago
of course you're right.

Yep!

what was I thinking?

I have no idea. All I can go by is from what you write here.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1.9  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1.6    3 years ago

Ted Cruz:  "I'll believe in climate change when Texas freezes over....!"

Hey Ted...... How about now?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.10  arkpdx  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.5    3 years ago

Federal law prevents recalling either Senators or House members. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

BTW, looking at Heidi Cruz' picture, it's hard to see why Trump called her ugly.  She's got a little bit of a "Dudley Do-right"  jawline going on, but I think she's kind of cute. 

Dudley_Do-Right.jpg

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @4    3 years ago

like her face was the first thing trump noticed ...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @4    3 years ago

That ugly fat turd has no room to call anyone else ugly.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @4.2    3 years ago

If I had a dog with Trump's face, I would shave its ass and teach it to walk backwards.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @4    3 years ago

She is not unattractive but being married to someone who kisses the ass of a person who insults her publicly, secures her a seat on the short bus.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Why has Biden completely ignored the problems in Texas by not offering Federal aid?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

Why do you ignore the truth?

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.2  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

Try reading the news Greg.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5.3  lady in black  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

He sent aid as soon as the Governor requested it.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

President Biden declared a state of emergency for Texas last week.

Apparently, some of our friends here think Cruz should have input on how the State of Texas spends the money, although it is not his job and he has no legal authority to do so.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.4.1  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4    3 years ago

After 'Green eggs and ham', Cruz shouldn't have input on anything.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.2  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @5.4.1    3 years ago

Gee, lots of people were bitching as long ago as just yesterday that he should DO something about it.

Just wish all of those whining about it could decide on ONE thing instead of constantly throwing shit at walls hoping SOMETHING will stick!

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.4.3  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.2    3 years ago

Psst ... I'm not "lots of people". Anywho, were they the same "lots of people" who were "throwing shit" about wind generators?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.4  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @5.4.3    3 years ago
Psst ... I'm not "lots of people".

Do you actually think I said you were lots of people?

Really?

Anywho, were they the same "lots of people" who were "throwing shit" about wind generators?

That subject was barely touched on, and I saw no one throwing shit at wind generators.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.4.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.2    3 years ago

Do you approve of Cruz's quick trip to Cancún?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.6  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.4.5    3 years ago

Don't really care where he went. Senate wasn't in session.

I just won't pretend to be outraged over it when I don't get outraged over some politicians having $1000 per plate dinners while some people here starve, or millionaires living in gated mansion communities while veterans go homeless.

I am just not hypocritical like that.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.4.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.6    3 years ago

How are you hypocritical?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.8  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.4.7    3 years ago
Howareyou hypocritical?

Why don't you enlighten me, Bob?

Please make sure you do so with actual facts.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.4.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.8    3 years ago

You said:

(my italics)

So I asked you how you are hypocritical. Your phrasing suggests that you are, in some way. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.10  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.4.9    3 years ago

read it however you choose, I don't really care.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.4.11  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.10    3 years ago
read it however you choose

I'm not choosing anything. I'm reading what you wrote.

If you meant something else, you could try again...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.12  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.4.11    3 years ago

read it again then.

or not.

I don't care that much.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.4.13  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.12    3 years ago

jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.14  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.4.13    3 years ago

jrSmiley_38_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.4.15  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.14    3 years ago

jrSmiley_32_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.4.16  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.4.15    3 years ago

jrSmiley_92_smiley_image.png

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.4.17  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @5.4.6    3 years ago
Don't really care where he went. Senate wasn't in session.

AOC raised 3.2 million for Texas relief. How much did Ted raise?

Oh, nothing, he went on vacation instead. 

Seems to me someone cares about people over going on vacation. Or is ted just too fucking stupid to raise money for his on constituents? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    3 years ago

See Ted, when you tell a lie, you're supposed to stick to it.  Not change your story.

Texas Democrat says 'it'd be fine' if Ted Cruz stayed in Cancun for family jaunt because 'he doesn't do anything for us'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-democrat-says-itd-fine-224537205.html

David Choi
Thu, February 18, 2021, 5:45 PM
Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas checks into Cancun International Airport, February 18, 2021. MEGA/GC Images via Getty Images
  • A Democratic state lawmaker in Texas called Sen. Ted Cruz's jaunt to Cancun "unbelievable."

• "As far as I'm concerned, it'd be fine if he remained in Cancun," Texas Rep. Chris Turner said.

A Democratic state lawmaker in Texas criticized Republican Sen. Ted Cruz's jaunt to Cancun as "unbelievable," particularly as the state reels from a severe winter storm that left large portions of the population without power.

"Just when I think Ted Cruz couldn't disappoint Texans more, he finds a new way to do it," Texas Rep. Chris Turner said in a CNN interview on Thursday.

Turner is one of many voices in the furor over Cruz's family trip to Cancun during a weather emergency in Texas. The winter blast left hundreds of thousands of Texans with no heat, energy, and clean water for at least three days. Over two dozen deaths have been attributed to the storm.

In a statement on Thursday, Cruz said he made the trip because his daughters' classes were "cancelled for the week" and they had "asked to take a trip with friends."

"Wanting to be a good dad, I flew down with them last night and am flying back this afternoon," he said, adding that it was an "infuriating week for Texas."

Cruz arrived back in Texas on Thursday. Cruz was originally planning to stay in Mexico until Saturday. His office did not respond to Insider's multiple requests for comment.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  Tessylo    3 years ago

Celebrities react to Ted Cruz leaving for Cancún during Texas crisis: ‘This absolute worm’

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/celebrities-react-ted-cruz-leaving-225717659.html

Thu, February 18, 2021, 5:57 PM

Hollywood is calling out Sen. Ted Cruz for abandoning Texas for Cancún, Mexico, while millions across his home state grappled with a deadly storm-induced power outage.

'This absolute worm'

LOL!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

Hey, people!

You're not thinking straight. 

It's fucking FREEZING in Texas! 

Of course a ''good dad'' will get his family to safety. 

And sunshine. And beautiful beaches. And a comfortable hotel.

How long has Heidi been a politician's wife?? Did she really group-text an invitation to all her 'friends' to join the Cruzes in Cancún?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8    3 years ago

Why do you care where the Cruz' went or even if they went anywhere at all?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1    3 years ago

I expect political leaders to show solidarity with their constituents. 

Don't you?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.1    3 years ago

So there is a homeless problem in Nancy Pelosi's district. Should she be sleeping on the streets or in some shelter like some of her constituents do?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  arkpdx @8.1.2    3 years ago
So there is a homeless problem in Nancy Pelosi's district. Should she be sleeping on the streets or in some shelter like some of her constituents do?

Well, Nancy is a Democrat, so obviously different standards are applicable!

LOL

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.3    3 years ago

Which of you is Stan, and which is Oliver?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

The  Houston Chronicle  editorial board called on Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) to resign over his Cancun debacle in a blistering editorial on Friday.

The home state newspaper described Cruz’s vacation during a Texas weather crisis as “foolish, callous and sadly telling of his approach to the job over the past eight years.”

“Texans’ anger with Ted Cruz right now could power an entire electrical grid,” the board said of the senator’s getaway this week to Mexico with his family as Texans suffered during freezing weather, power outages and water shortages. Cruz returned to Texas Thursday amid growing fury.

The editorial acknowledged that the Texas crisis was not of Cruz’s making and that the job of a U.S. senator is not to “shovel the coal.”

“The crisis is the handiwork of state officials, not federal,” the editorial said, but “we expect leadership and perhaps a little solidarity from a man whose re-election campaign heavily rested on claims of his compassion and advocacy for suffering Texans after Hurricane Harvey.”

The editorial board only last month called for Cruz’s resignation for stoking the violent mob of pro-Donald Trump supporters who stormed the U.S. Capitol.

Cruz’s escape to Mexico “hits a new low — even by the senator’s own standards,” it said.

“Take our advice, senator, and resign,” the editorial concluded. “Seems like you could use a break and we could, too, from an ineffective politician who, even in crisis, puts his personal itinerary before the needs of Texans.”

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9    3 years ago

No big deal or surprise there.

The Chronicle also endorsed Beto O'Rourke in 2018.

So not surprising at all.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1    3 years ago

I suppose you think it's totally ordinary for the state's largest newspaper to call for a sitting US senator to resign less than halfway through his current term. Don't think it is. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @9.1.1    3 years ago

It's Houston.

Meh.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.2    3 years ago

EuijBGvUcAYynEC?format=jpg&name=900x900

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  devangelical @9.1.3    3 years ago

tenor.gif?itemid=10123173

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  devangelical @9.1.3    3 years ago

God bless the Internet. We are living in a time of unprecedented creativity that can instantly be shared with everyone. What a great picture!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
9.1.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tacos! @9.1.5    3 years ago

You wanted better pictures from Mars....

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.7  Tacos!  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.1.6    3 years ago

Absolutely right! This is by FAR the best Mars picture I have seen.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.8  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1    3 years ago

Honestly, does a day go by in this country where some person isn’t urged to resign by their political opponents?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @9.1.3    3 years ago

and?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.1.10  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @9.1.8    3 years ago

Al Franken seems like a century ago, lol.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.11  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @9.1.10    3 years ago

I still feel bad for that guy. I never thought much of him as a senator, but the way he was forced out was ridiculous.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @9.1.11    3 years ago

"but the way he was forced out was ridiculous."

Wow, hell must have seriously frozen over.  I agree with you.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.13  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.12    3 years ago

It is currently 23 degrees in Hell MI.  So Hell has indeed frozen over.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11  Tacos!    3 years ago

Meh, I think what I thunk yesterday. It’s just not that worthy of attention. Anything a Senator needs to be doing in that situation - which probably isn’t much - can be done by phone. Heck, with the Covid pandemic on, he probably would have been Zooming his “help” even if he had stayed at home. And lots of people go someplace nice to escape a storm. If my schedule and finances allowed for it, I might do it, too.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @11    3 years ago

Lol if this were a democrat your tune would be 100% different. 

Motherfucker abandoned his peopl in a moment of crisis. Who gives a shit if he could have actually done anything, a leader is supposed to be there for his people, and running away to another country while your people freeze and starve is not leading. Make all the excuses you want for... Ted Fucking Cruz lol, but you will never convince me that tuck tail and running is the mark of a person I should respect.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.1    3 years ago

abandoned?

lol

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.1    3 years ago

Sorry, flew  1700 miles to escape the cold that his people were stuck in rather than do literally ANYTHING to help. Sorry for the confusion.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.1    3 years ago
Lol if this were a democrat your tune would be 100% different.

Actually, if you look around a little ( here ), I am probably the only person on this site who was defending Andrew Cuomo yesterday. So, you are 100% wrong.

Who gives a shit if he could have actually done anything

Oh . . . only fair people.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.1.2    3 years ago

gee. maybe next time he could de-ice the streets and repair power lines

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @11.1.3    3 years ago
Actually, if you look around a little ( here ), I am probably the only person on this site who was defending Andrew Cuomo yesterday. So, you are 100% wrong.

Perhaps, and I will admit I haven't looked into it much but it Doesn't look good for him.

As for the second part of your comment, you completely left out \my bit about being a leader. As a US Senator, you are expected to be a leader. IMO that means when you people suffer a hurricane, you are right there doing whatever you can, even if it is handing our MREs to help. If your state is freezing, you are handing out blankets. You are not taking off to nice sunny Cancun Mexico. I guess the idea of leadership is lost on conservative america. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.4    3 years ago

That would be the most useful thing he had ever done as a Senator. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.1.7  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.4    3 years ago
gee. maybe next time he could de-ice the streets and repair power lines

Maybe he could be instrumental in getting the federal $$ to do just that,

or the federal $$ to provide for the fucking improvements needed to prevent the next debacle ten years from now.

THAT is what DC politicians are SUPPOSED TO DO, not run away because they can, they are "off this week"

and the emergency has closed the schools.  Did I miss it or did Goldman Sachs close because of TX weather?

Well, no, no they did not.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
11.1.8  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.4    3 years ago

He could perhaps do as much as Beto O'Rourke (private citizen) and AOC (New Yorker).

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.1.9  Tacos!  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.1.5    3 years ago

I just think it's all overblown. Cruz is getting piled on because he's so outspoken, well known, and therefore it makes for clickbait. I'll bet most of America couldn't even name the other senator from Texas, much less say anything about where he has been or what he was doing for the last several days.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.10  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @11.1.9    3 years ago
Cruz is getting piled on because he's so outspoken,

Nah, mostly because he talked shit about other politicians doing something similar when their states were is a moment of crisis. And not just once, but several times. So Fuck him with a rake for that alone. 

I'll bet most of America couldn't evennamethe other senator from Texas, much less say anything about where he has been or what he was doing for the last several days.

Who cares? They CAN name Cancun Cruz, and they ALL know about him running away while his people suffered. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @11.1.7    3 years ago
THAT is what DC politicians are SUPPOSED TO DO, not run away because they can, they are "off this week"

Sorry, I was unaware that the Senate was in session. Do enlighten me!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @11.1.8    3 years ago
He could perhaps do as much as Beto O'Rourke (private citizen) and AOC (New Yorker).

Yes, he could.................but then what would some on the left find to bitch and whine about?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
11.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @11.1.9    3 years ago

Yup, it's always overblown or overdramatized when it comes to a republican.  ALWAYS.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
11.1.14  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.12    3 years ago

Class, Tex..

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @11.1.14    3 years ago
Class, Tex..

No time to teach today!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.1.16  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.11    3 years ago
Sorry, I was unaware that the Senate was in session. Do enlighten me!

What does it matter?  Is a Senator only a Senator when "in session"? That's between 121 and 145 days depending on midterm election years.

Seems like a good deal of political work is talking.  Talking on the phone, through Zoom or in front of news cameras.

If he had gone to his office in Austin, maybe he could have coordinated with Abbot, Patrick, Magness, Mach or McGraw to coordinate with FEMA and the White House.

BTW, why does he have an official Senate office in Austin when he lives in Houston?

300 E 8th St #961, Austin, TX 78701

Seems mighty inconvenient doesn't it, unless he plans not to ever use it...

So what exactly are members of Congress doing when they’re not on Capitol Hill? Nicholson, who worked in a Congressional office for 20 years, says most leaders are putting in time in their districts.

“Almost all of those days a member will be working for any number of hours either in their district office, out at events, at press conferences or campaign events,” she says. In an election year, days when Congress is not in session are a crucial time for legislators to engage with constituents.

And while the calendar may make it look like members of Congress get a whole lot of vacation, Nicholson says that there is no real way to calculate how many days a member actually takes off, since they create their own schedules. Nevertheless, the idea of being away from the office for the majority — if not all — of August probably sounds pretty good to most American workers.

“I think it is fairly typical for most members to take at least a little bit of that August break for vacation, but even then it is unusual for a member to not work at all,” Nicholson says. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @11.1.16    3 years ago
Seems like a good deal of political work is talking.  Talking on the phone, through Zoom or in front of news cameras.

Pretty sure you can access Zoom and phones in Mexico.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.1.18  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @11.1.9    3 years ago
I'll bet most of America couldn't even name the other senator from Texas

Don't know, John Cornyn voted to uphold the election results, making him a national target of hate for a bit,

he stayed in DC and has been prolific on Twitter and Facebook

with storm advice for Texans and important phone numbers,

lists of useful resources etc.

Like everything else, some people appreciate it, some don't.

Most are just glad he did not fly to Cancun, with police escort to the airport during a crisis.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1.19  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11.1.10    3 years ago

It is a case of...Let them eat cake.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @11    3 years ago

I think the response is supposed to be HAIR ON FIRE because a Senator took a trip while the Senate is recessed.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2    3 years ago

Of course the real question everyone should be asking is why hasn't Biden gone to Texas yet. /s

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
11.2.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Tacos! @11.2.1    3 years ago

Maybe he'll go to Cancún.

Close enough...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
11.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @11.2.1    3 years ago
President Joe Biden signed a major disaster declaration for Texas , the White House announced Saturday, after a winter storm left much of the state facing power and water shortages, in a move Gov. Greg Abbott characterized as only a "partial" approval of his request for federal assistance. 

Abbot requested the disaster declaration Thursday, seeking individual and public assistance for all 254 counties in Texas. Though Biden approved public assistance for all those counties, his declaration provides individual assistance for 77 of them, according to a press release from Abbot’s office.  

Biden had said Friday that he planned to declare the situation in Texas a "major disaster." The president also said he plans to visit the state next week , but he left the date open saying he would go when his presence would not create an additional "burden." 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.2.4  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @11.2.3    3 years ago

Sorry, that's much too little, too late. /s

I don't really think that, but I'm always reminded of how much shit Bush got for Hurricane Katrina, when he really didn't do anything wrong. As much hatred as that guy got, it seems only fair that we should all be outraged if the president - in the middle of a natural disaster - isn't personally on the ground shoveling snow or mud or whatever might need doing.

Of course, if he does a thing like that, he'll likely be criticized for taking advantage of human suffering with a photo op.

So basically, you can't fuckin win.

charger 383
Professor Silent
12  charger 383    3 years ago

United States Senators should vacation in the United States and preferably in their own state 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
12.1  Split Personality  replied to  charger 383 @12    3 years ago

Meanwhile, the Cruz family was told to quarantine at home for 10 days by their daughter's private school. 

The Cruz's were also criticized for failing to tell the school they were going out of the country.

Not to be outdone by the surprise trip and the resulting embarrassment for taking the flight, leaving the family dog in a house they

acknowledged was freezing,Ted took to the parking lots Friday for photo ops handing out cases of bottled water

shaking bare hands and totally forgetting the two international flights he just took

and the resulting quarantine he was supposed to be doing.

Now that the wife and kids are home he decides to quarantine.

smh

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @12.1    3 years ago

Good old Lyin' Flyin' Ted.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
12.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  Split Personality @12.1    3 years ago

Good for ted that he had the ability and the where with all to get is family to a place where they were safe and warm. I don't begrudge him at all. Family always comes first. Way to go Ted!