╌>

Trump to claim total control of GOP with first post-presidency speech

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  28 comments

By:   Mike Allen (Axios)

Trump to claim total control of GOP with first post-presidency speech
He plans to send the message that he is Republicans' "presumptive 2024 nominee" with a vise grip on the party's base.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Mike Allen, author of AM

Photo: Alex Edelman/AFP via Getty Images

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

In his first post-presidential appearance, Donald Trump plans to send the message next weekend that he is Republicans' "presumptive 2024 nominee" with a vise grip on the party's base, top Trump allies tell Axios.

What to watch: A longtime adviser called Trump's speech a "show of force," and said the message will be: "I may not have Twitter or the Oval Office, but I'm still in charge." Payback is his chief obsession.

Axios has learned that Trump advisers will meet with him at Mar-a-Lago this week to plan his next political moves, and to set up the machinery for kingmaking in the 2022 midterms.

• Trump is expected to stoke primary challenges for some of those who have crossed him, and shower money and endorsements on the Trumpiest candidates.
  • State-level officials, fresh off censuring Trump critics, stand ready to back him up.

Why it matters: Trump's speech Sunday at CPAC in Orlando is designed to show that he controls the party, whether or not he runs in 2024.

• His advisers argue that his power within the GOP runs deeper and broader than ever, and that no force can temper him.
  • "Trump effectively is the Republican Party," Trump senior adviser Jason Miller told me. "The only chasm is between Beltway insiders and grassroots Republicans around the country. When you attack President Trump, you're attacking the Republican grassroots."

The big picture: The few Republicans who have spoken ill of Trump since the election — including House members who voted to impeach him, and senators who voted to convict — have found themselves censured, challenged and vilified by the parties in their home states.

What's next: Trump's leadership PAC, Save America, has $75 million on hand, and he has a database of tens of millions of names.

The long game: Many Trump confidants think he'll pretend to run but ultimately pass. He knows the possibility — or threat — gives him leverage and attention.

A Trump source said some Republicans have told him: "If you endorse me, I'll run."

• But advisers say that's not how it'll work. This week's meeting will aim to tap the brakes.
  • Instead, Trump is going to set up a formal process for vetting potential endorsees, including a requirement that they raise money and put together an organization.

What we're watching: Trump plans to argue in the CPAC speech that many of his predictions about President Biden have already come true.

• Look for Trump to lay into "the swamp" and Beltway insiders in a big way.
  • The Trump source said: "Much like 2016, we're taking on Washington again."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago
  • His advisers argue that his power within the GOP runs deeper and broader than ever, and that no force can temper him.
  • "Trump effectively is the Republican Party," Trump senior adviser Jason Miller told me. "The only chasm is between Beltway insiders and grassroots Republicans around the country. When you attack President Trump, you're attacking the Republican grassroots."

--------------------------------------------------

Donald Trump always does or tries to do what he says he will do. That has been seen time and time again over the past 5 or 6 years. Those conservatives who think they can have Trump created policies promoted within the party without having Trump himself are fools. He is not gone and will not be gone by the efforts of conservatives. He is your daddy. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

meh, the party of white supremacy should have their leading racist at the helm.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago

I agree, but someone should tell conservatives that they cannot "move on".  They will be wrapped around Trump's finger until he is dead. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 years ago

They will be wrapped around Trump's finger until he is dead. 

Or possibly in prison.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.2    3 years ago

Oh, I think he could run the GOP from prison. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.3    3 years ago
Oh, I think he could run the GOP from prison.

<sigh> You're probably right.....

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago

They can't avoid the stink that they've wrapped themselves in, and it's now open season on RINOs....!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I seriously doubt it happening. Trump had his four years and blew it, alienating too many people in the process. I pray reasonable people will marginalize him as much as possible so he becomes less and less relevant.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    3 years ago
 I pray reasonable people will marginalize him as much as possible so he becomes less and less relevant.

I believe that is what you want Ed, but it's not gonna happen. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    3 years ago

Only time will tell.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.3  devangelical  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    3 years ago

it's rumored that some of the proud boys are already talking about taking trump out. bwah ha ha  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2.2    3 years ago

Donald Trump will be giving a speech, before the most prominent conservative meeting in the country every year,  only about six weeks after leaving office.  Reportedly people who have seen the speech told reporters (in other words it was leaked by Trump or with Trump's approval) that Trump will claim to be the leader of the Republican Party and the frontrunner for the nomination in 2024. Does this sound like a scenario where Trump fades away? 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.4    3 years ago

I only said I pray that he does, but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing he will not get my vote either way.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.4    3 years ago

I bet he gets some boos from the crowd. Some of the people who stormed that capitol on Jan 6 are feeling that he let them down

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.6    3 years ago

Trump let a lot of people down.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.2.8  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    3 years ago

I wish it were the case Ed, but the Trump base will rule the day in the primaries.  And their aren't enough RINOs to marginalize him at this point.

The GOP/Republican leadership has had multiple opportunities to cut Trump off at the knees with the impeachments and other actions.  They just didn't have the backbone to make it happen.  So it's a "pay up now, or pay up later" situation, and those like Lindsey, and McConnell, Et al, kicked the can down the road.

If the impeachment votes had been by secret ballot..... things would be different today.  But alas...!    

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2.7    3 years ago

He let half a million Americans down, six feet down. 

Hallux
Masters Principal
2  Hallux    3 years ago

"Trump plans to argue in the CPAC speech that many of his predictions about President Biden have already come true."

Donald must be reading Vic Eldred's posts.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  Kavika   replied to  Hallux @2    3 years ago
Donald must be reading Vic Eldred's posts.

LMAO, how true that is.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

How is trmp going to run a campaign without a Twitter account? How does he expect to lead without one?

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     3 years ago

trump versus America round two.

Ding 

No surprise. I never underestimate this megalomaniac. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

A list of the speakers at the right wing C-PAc conference has been released

Donald Trump

Ron DeSantis

Pete Hegseth

Lawrence Jones

Jason Chaffetz

Deroy Murdock

Dan Bongino

Leo Terrell 

Tomi Lahren 

Kevin McCarthy 

Jim Banks

Matt Schlapp.

Matt Gaetz

Ted Cruz

Tom Cotton 

Josh Hawley

Marco Rubio

Kristi Noem

Mike Pompeo.

Donald Trump Jr

Charlie Kirk

Sara Carter

The booshwa will get deep. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago

Whatever happened to Candace Owens ? She used to be a regular at this sort of crap. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    3 years ago
Whatever happened to Candace Owens ?

She had a baby last month.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago

Got to wonder how Ted Cruz is going to fair....

A bunch there that want to be president....... Nikki Haley is obviously missing.  Did they take here secret decoder ring for saying bad things about their savior Trump? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.3  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago

No Chachi? 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.3.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  MrFrost @5.3    3 years ago

What, no "My Pillow" guy Mike Lindell on the list? I am shocked!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    3 years ago

IMO it has become ESSENTIAL that proceedings be brought that will prevent Trump from ever being able to sit in the driver's seat of the USA again.