╌>

Georgia massage parlor shootings leave 8 dead; man captured

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  35 comments

By:   KATE BRUMBACK (MSN)

Georgia massage parlor shootings leave 8 dead; man captured
ATLANTA (AP) — Shootings at two massage parlors in Atlanta and one in the suburbs Tuesday evening left eight people dead, many of them women of Asian descent, authorities said. A 21-year-old man suspected in the shootings was taken into custody in southwest Georgia hours later after a manhunt, police said. The attacks began around 5 p.m., when five people were shot at Youngs Asian Massage Parlor in a strip mall near a rural area in Acworth,...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

ATLANTA (AP) — Shootings at two massage parlors in Atlanta and one in the suburbs Tuesday evening left eight people dead, many of them women of Asian descent, authorities said. A 21-year-old man suspected in the shootings was taken into custody in southwest Georgia hours later after a manhunt, police said.

The attacks began around 5 p.m., when five people were shot at Youngs Asian Massage Parlor in a strip mall near a rural area in Acworth, about 30 miles (50 kilometers) north of Atlanta, Cherokee County Sheriff's Office spokesman Capt. Jay Baker said. Two people died at the scene and three were transported to a hospital where two of them also died, Baker said.

No one was arrested at the scene.

Around 5:50 p.m., police in the Buckhead neighborhood of Atlanta, responding to a call of a robbery in progress, found three women dead from apparent gunshot wounds at Gold Spa. While they were at that scene, they learned of a call reporting shots fired at another spa across the street, Aromatherapy Spa, and found a woman who appeared to have been shot dead inside the business.

"It appears that they may be Asian," Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant said.

The killings came amid a recent wave of attacks against Asian Americans that coincided with the spread of the coronavirus across the United States.

"Our entire family is praying for the victims of these horrific acts of violence," Gov. Brian Kemp said Tuesday evening on Twitter.

A man suspected in the Acworth shooting was captured by surveillance video pulling up to the business around 4:50 p.m. Tuesday, minutes before the attack, authorities said. Baker said the suspect, Robert Aaron Long, of Woodstock, was taken into custody in Crisp County, about 150 miles (240 kilometers) south of Atlanta.

Baker said they believe Long is also the suspect in the Atlanta shootings.

Police said video footage showed the suspect's vehicle in the area of the Atlanta spas about the time of those attacks as well. That, as well as other video evidence, "suggests it is extremely likely our suspect is the same as Cherokee County's, who is in custody," Atlanta police said in a statement. Atlanta and Cherokee County authorities were working to confirm the cases are related.

FBI spokesman Kevin Rowson said the agency was assisting Atlanta and Cherokee County authorities in the investigation.

Crisp County Sheriff Billy Hancock said in a video posted on Facebook that his deputies and state troopers were notified around 8 p.m. that a murder suspect out of north Georgia was headed toward their county. Deputies and troopers set up along the interstate and "made contact with the suspect," who was driving a 2007 black Hyundai Tucson, around 8:30 p.m., he said.

A state trooper performed a PIT, or pursuit intervention technique, maneuver, "which caused the vehicle to spin out of control," Hancock said. Long was then taken into custody "without incident" and was being held in the Crisp County jail for Cherokee County authorities who were expected to arrive soon to continue their investigation.

Due to the shootings, Atlanta police said they dispatched officers to check nearby similar businesses and increased patrols in the area.

Continue ReadingShow full articles without "Continue Reading" button for {0} hours. Microsoft and partners may be compensated if you purchase something through recommended links in this article.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

will be interesting to see the motive for all this

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I suspect it was him blaming these women for the "China virus" that Trump loved to call it.  This douche canoe has the typical skeezy inbred look of a typical Trumpturd.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    3 years ago
douche canoe has the typical skeezy inbred look of a typical Trumpturd.

he does. I wonder where he was on 1/6/21?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    3 years ago
I suspect it was him blaming these women for the "China virus" that Trump loved to call it. 

That's why I think anyone on NT that calls it the China virus or the Wuhan virus should get a CoC violation

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    3 years ago

I agree.  We should all let Perrie know that this needs to be added into the COC.  It's despicable/deplorable how many are still using this term right here on NT.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    3 years ago

It's a pejorative term.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Freefaller  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    3 years ago
I suspect it was him blaming these women for the "China virus"

Hi Paula the latest info I saw seems to indicate that this was inspired by his view of the immorality of these places and his addiction to them.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    3 years ago
"That's why I think anyone on NT that calls it the China virus or the Wuhan virus should get a CoC violation."

Let them display their childish prejudice, xenophobic bias and ignorance - it becomes them.  After all, they ARE speaking their mind, aren't they.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @1.1.5    3 years ago
his view of the immorality of these places and his addiction to them.  

I'm having a hard time digesting that. Seems like his upbringing brought guilt and shame to him because he has an addiction. Instead of seeking help he kills people.

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.1.8  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.7    3 years ago

On another article I was told this was not a gender thing because there was one male victim.  And the way people keep lessening this tragedy by calling the guy a whackjob.  He isn't a whackjob - he is a murderer.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.7    3 years ago

The scumbag blames those who he uses to satisfy his sexual addiction and then kills them because of his sexual addiction to remove the temptation.  Why didn't the inbred little racist scumbag just kill himself and save the world of one more scumbag?

Didn't he ever hear of counseling?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.10  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.7    3 years ago

Yup he was undoubtedly one f'd up person

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.11  Freefaller  replied to  Veronica @1.1.8    3 years ago
He isn't a whackjob - he is a murderer.

Lol people can be both

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.1.12  Veronica  replied to  Freefaller @1.1.11    3 years ago

When cutesy names are given to violent offenders it diminishes the crimes they commit.  Whackjob is used to describe people that go off on rants in stores, dress crazy & all sorts of minor things, so when the same term is used for a murderer... in my book it makes the crime seem less severe.  I think it is time to call them what they are - murderers.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Here is the suspected killer

BB1eFfqo.img?h=546&w=874&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=1477&y=441

Robert Aaron Long

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

Hopefully there'll be no "happy ending" for him. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

I bet bob long will be living up to his name in the pen.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

He loves 'gods, guns, family, pizza' - not necessarily in that order.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

as seen on twitter

EwpqTGSXAAEYgFA?format=jpg&name=large

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago

As cjold said (I think it was him?) the homegrown/right wing/domestic terrorists/inbred supporters of the former occupant of the White House are OUR BIGGEST THREAT!

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.2  Drakkonis  replied to  JohnRussell @3    3 years ago

A good example of why one shouldn't get their news from twitter. 

1. Eight "Asian women" were not killed. 
  2. We don't know if it was a hate crime.
  3. For it to be terrorism this crime would have to have political motivations, using unlawful violence and intimidation toward a political goal. So far, we haven't seen any evidence for there being such motive. 
  4. We don't know he was a racist.

What we have here is someone hijacking this incident to further their own agenda. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Drakkonis @3.2    3 years ago

bible thumper has testosterone management crisis and forgets sunday school lessons 8 times during afternoon drive.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Drakkonis @3.2    3 years ago

YOU CAN'T TELL ME THIS WASN'T RACIALLY MOTIVATED

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     3 years ago

trickle of details about the suspect, who went by his middle name, offered few clues.

“Pizza, guns, drums, music, family, and God. This pretty much sums up my life. It’s a pretty good life,” read the tagline on an Instagram account that appeared to belong to Long.

A student who graduated from Sequoyah High with Long in 2017 who spoke on the condition of anonymity told The Daily Beast, “He was very innocent seeming and wouldn’t even cuss. He was sorta nerdy and didn’t seem violent from what I remember. He was a hunter and his father was a youth minister or pastor. He was big into religion.”

Robert-Aaron-Long-uuuu_pmwiud

Crisp County Sheriff's Office

The rampage began at Young’s Asian Massage in Acworth in Cherokee County, where two people were killed, one other person succumbed to their injuries en route to a nearby hospital, and one died while in treatment, according to the sheriff’s office. The victims were two Asian women, a white woman, and a white man, according to the      Atlanta Journal-Constitution   . A Hispanic man was also injured in the shooting and was rushed to a hospital for medical treatment, a spokesman for the sheriff said.

About an hour later and 30 miles away, two spas on the same Atlanta street—Gold Spa and one in Aroma Therapy Spa—were targeted by gunfire, and four Asian women were killed.

thedailybeast

What a messed up dude. So sad for everyone

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

If God is so important to him, why did he break the most serious of the commandments...Thall shall not kill?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    3 years ago

Their god is a very hateful spiteful vengeful petty judgmental murdering one

zuksam
Junior Silent
7  zuksam    3 years ago

No Racial Hate at all, he was driven crazy by his love of Asian Handjobs. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  zuksam @7    3 years ago

Lol, now having been stationed in Okinawa and traveled throughout Asia, I have to say I have not noticed a difference between Asian, American, or European handjobs.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1    3 years ago

I only have one question... do Asian women tend to have smaller hands? jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

zuksam
Junior Silent
8  zuksam    3 years ago

This whole thread reads like a laundry list of Left Wing Hatred and Bigotry. 

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
8.1  Drakkonis  replied to  zuksam @8    3 years ago

Yes. I shouldn't be so shocked by it by now but I am. I could understand hatred for the shooter but the comments I've read here and other posts on this shooting... associating all the people they hate with this guy. There are people on this site I'd be scared to death to see get real power over others. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Drakkonis @8.1    3 years ago

Yeah, fucking MAGA.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  zuksam @8    3 years ago

Oh Jesus, stop being so overly dramatic. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  Tessylo    3 years ago

160857150_286792399476674_2650218580412490852_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=FsnrTvqgAm0AX8OcTR6&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=bc0fb776c2e2454f4b41ae0b919704d8&oe=607779C7

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @9    3 years ago

The only thing I kill when having a bad day is a six pack.