╌>

Believe It Or Not, Derek Chauvin's Defense Is That He And The Other Cops Were Distracted By The Bystanders On The Sidewalk

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  24 comments

Believe It Or Not, Derek Chauvin's Defense Is That He And The Other Cops Were Distracted By The Bystanders On The Sidewalk

Anybody watching the trial ? 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Apparently Derek Chauvin's defense attorney's are and are going to continue to try and make the argument that Chauvin and the other cops lost track of Floyd's condition because they were being harassed by the bystanders who were yelling for him to stop kneeling on Floyd's neck. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1  Gsquared  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

I have been watching some of the trial.  A little while ago they showed a video with Chauvin's knee firmly on George Floyd's neck.  Chauvin did not appear to be distracted by anything.  He did appear to be coldly and ruthlessly executing George Floyd. It was chilling and totally appalling.

A Minneapolis Fire Department EMT just finished being questioned by the prosecution.  She was on the scene at the time and the police would not allow her to take George Floyd's pulse.  She testified that one of the police officers told her not to get involved.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Gsquared @1.1    3 years ago

Oh yeah, while I was at the gym they showed footage on CNN from another angle and it looked like he even adjusted himself to put more of his body weight on Floyd’s neck. He looked like he knew exactly what he was doing, and even if he didn’t mean to kill the guy it was obvious that Chauvin had every intention of hurting him as much as he could get away with.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Gsquared @1.1    3 years ago

Right now , the defense attorney is asking a Minneapolis firefighter EMT if bystanders yelling at her would stress her out to the point it would be harder to do her job. It is bizarre in my mind.

They are literally setting the stage for a defense that the bystanders stressed Chauvin out and he lost track of what he was doing. 

Chauvin has been a cop for 20 years. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Gsquared  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    3 years ago

I think she shut down that line of cross-examination quite effectively.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
1.1.4  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Gsquared @1.1    3 years ago

A Minneapolis Fire Department EMT just finished being questioned by the prosecution.  She was on the scene at the time and the police would not allow her to take George Floyd's pulse.  She testified that one of the police officers told her not to get involved.

I was unaware that there was an EMT on the scene while they were on him. That is BAD news for Chauvin. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Gsquared  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @1.1.4    3 years ago

Very bad. 

She made a very good witness.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

He was concentrating on chewing his gum.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

From what I have seen the defense is pathetically weak thus far. Their arguments so far really boil down to “our guy is too incompetent to be held responsible for his actions.”

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2    3 years ago

Then why was he a cop?

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    3 years ago

... so he could torture and kill minorities without fear of being held accountable.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    3 years ago

"... so he could torture and kill minorities without fear of being held accountable."

There are many scum like him among the ranks.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3  Snuffy    3 years ago

I'm not watching the trial or reading the daily reports. I'll wait until the trial is finished and see what the final verdict is.  I saw the video when it first showed up and it looked really bad for him, but in a court of law who knows how it will turn out. My biggest worry out of it is that the final verdict won't be what some people want and there will be more rioting because of it. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    3 years ago

If this cold blooded killer Chauvin gets away with it, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more PROTESTING.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
5  Freewill    3 years ago

Distracted by the bystanders on the sidewalk?!!

More likely the bystanders were distracted by a cop choking a dude out and holding pressure on his neck for several more minutes after he stopped moving.  THAT is pretty distracting, not to mention disturbing.  I'm all for innocent until proven guilty but come on... he was "distracted"?  Any good cop will tell you that is a pile of bullshit.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1  Split Personality  replied to  Freewill @5    3 years ago

As the EMT answered whether she was upset or not " yes, seeing someone murdered is upsetting"

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    3 years ago

Just saw this tweet...

@Yamiche
Still struck by this: Genevieve Hansen, the off-duty firefighter on the scene as George Floyd died, said she stayed on scene after Floyd was taken away bc she worried about the Black people and people of color --like Donald Williams -- possibly being hurt by remaining police.

Hallux
Masters Principal
7  Hallux    3 years ago

Day 3 of watching Derek unpassionately scribbling notes ... nary a glimpse feeling crossing his brow ... a textbook case of a psychological condition I am not trained to diagnose. However, Derek's attorney suggests I/we use common sense. Well so far 'common sense' has tagged Derek with sociopath.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @7    3 years ago

Sociopath would be my diagnosis.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  Tessylo    3 years ago

164203012_294283898727524_9199274416096378503_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=2xAEu1vsULwAX9XI5Zi&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=dd3b317916e99c8aab2c5595977376cb&oe=608BAB77

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  Tessylo    3 years ago

165180177_2830238343911127_5133007615792896_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=AtVxisLmkNQAX-fJf_v&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=2b016189125288c84b63c429938a820d&oe=608A35B2

Freewill
Junior Quiet
10  Freewill    3 years ago

So if for some unknown reason one were to take Chauvin's side on this, wouldn't one technically be a Chauvinist?

Thomas
Senior Guide
10.1  Thomas  replied to  Freewill @10    3 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
11  SteevieGee    3 years ago

If I'm fighting for my life I'm not worried about bystanders.