╌>

New York Times stealth-edits article claiming Ocasio-Cortez is fighting Jewish influence in Congress

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  44 comments

By:   Becket Adams (MSN)

New York Times stealth-edits article claiming Ocasio-Cortez is fighting Jewish influence in Congress
For Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, there is no act of political cowardice or self-preservation so craven the New York Times will not defend.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

For Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, there is no act of political cowardice or self-preservation so craven the New York Times will not defend.

© Provided by Washington Examiner

On Thursday, after days of criticizing a budget proposal to fund Israel's defensive "Iron Dome" anti-missile system, the New York congresswoman voted "present" on the standalone bill. Not a "nay" vote, which would've at least been consistent with her attempts to strip the "Iron Dome" funding from a larger spending bill, but a meek, worthless "present" vote.

Ocasio-Cortez marked the moment of the bill's passage with a public show of emotion on the floor of the House.

Later, after the proposed $1 billion in funding passed overwhelmingly by a vote of 420-9, the New York Times rushed to the representative's defense, propping her up as some sort of principled crusader against nefarious Jewish influences in Congress.

"Minutes before the vote closed," the paper reported. "Ms. Ocasio-Cortez tearfully huddled with her allies before switching her vote to 'present.' The tableau underscored how wrenching the vote was for even outspoken progressives, who have been caught between their principles and the still powerful pro-Israel voices in their party, such as influential lobbyists and rabbis."

This is one hell of a thing to allege in a supposedly straight news publication. People have literally shot up synagogues over such anti-Semitic conspiracy-theory allegations about "powerful" Jewish lobbies.

What's more, the New York Times is saying quite clearly that when it came time to fund Israel's "Iron Dome" — a defensive system responsible for saving the lives of Jew and Arab alike, which doesn't harm or kill anyone — distraught left-wing progressives were "caught between their principles" and "powerful" Jewish influences.

This is what is known as saying the quiet part aloud.

But then the New York Times quietly edited the report later to remove the not-at-all-subtle line regarding pro-Israel lobbyists and rabbis.

The passage now reads, "The tableau underscored how wrenching the vote was for even outspoken progressives, who have been caught between their principles and the still powerful pro-Israel voices in their party."

There is no editor's note or update drawing attention to the revisions.

Further, the updated paragraph is only marginally better than what was originally published. It still editorializes Ocasio-Cortez's thoughts, words, and motivations. The New York Times has no better understanding of the congresswoman's actions than you or I do, especially given that Ocasio-Cortez's office declined the paper's request for comment. The New York Times is flying blind, but it rests anyway on providing the most flattering interpretation possible for the thinking behind Ocasio-Cortez's vote and state of mind. That is called "spin," not reporting.

How does this sort of thing go to print in the first place?

Former Times opinion editor Bari Weiss likely hit the nail on the head last year when she said Twitter is the New York Times's "ultimate editor." Anti-Israel operatives have a strong presence on social media and, as we've seen time and again, the various positions of left-wing activists tend to bleed over into mainstream reporting.

Ocasio-Cortez can't be faulted for her useless, contradictory vote or her opposition to a defensive mechanism that saves lives, according to these people. No, she is to be forgiven. After all, she is trying to navigate her principles against nefarious Jewish influences.

Tags:Beltway Confidential, Opinion, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, New York Times

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

AOC continues to prove she is an idiot, and the Times keeps proving it can't be trusted.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

AOC and her band of merry idiots may be voting against Israel, but the Times did run a proper description of events and even an op/ed

So, it doesn't look like they are covering up anything.

As for the actual article describing this, here are the quotes:

The vote was 420 to 9 to help Israel replace missile interceptors used during heavy fighting in a devastating rocket and missile war with the Palestinians in May, reflecting the widespread bipartisan support in Congress for Jerusalem that has persisted for decades.

But the lopsided vote came only after days of acrimony between progressives who have accused Israel of human rights abuses and other lawmakers, including party leaders, who said they were appalled and astonished by their colleagues’ refusal to fund a defense system to protect Israeli civilians.

Bitter recriminations over the measure spilled onto the House floor on Thursday, as some progressive Democrats who were opposed called Israel an “apartheid state” and proponents hurled accusations of antisemitism. By the end, Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, a vocal critic of Israel who had come under scathing criticism from pro-Israel activists for refusing to back the measure, was in tears after switching her “no” vote to “present.”

The final vote was:

After some progressives forced Dems to take Israel Iron Dome funding out of CR, House overwhelmingly approves funding 420-9 No votes: Dems: Omar Carson Tlaib Newman Pressley Grijalva Garcia (IL) Bush Republicans: Massie GA Dem Reps Johnson and Ocasio-Cortez voted “present”

Cortez would abstain, as she is from NY.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    3 years ago

i think AOC should have the gut to vote her convictions.

After spewing all that nonsense about it, to vote "present" isn't acceptable.

Her "tears" don't move me, seeing as they are not spontaneous.

The Times changed the article without explanation. Why? What was wrong with the original?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    3 years ago
i think AOC should have the gut to vote her conviction

Especially after she attacked Gabbard for voting present. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    3 years ago
Cortez would abstain, as she is from NY.

What does that mean? Why would someone from New York abstain? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    3 years ago

They didn't change it at all. The part you quoted was towards the bottom of the article. The part I quoted was how they lead. 

And she will not vote her convictions as she wants to be re-elected and there are many Jews in her districts, which differs from the other two, who represent the same people that they are. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.3    3 years ago

Sean, don't be coy.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.4    3 years ago
They didn't change it at all.

Of course they did. The original article said "he still powerful pro-Israel voices in their party, such as influential lobbyists and rabbis."  The new version says "who have been caught between their principles and the still powerful pro-Israel voices in their party. "

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.4    3 years ago
And she will not vote her convictions as she wants to be re-elected and there are many Jews in her districts, which differs from the other two, who represent the same people that they are.

A glass of water with a "D" behind could win her district.

A recent article outlined how astute some of her constituents actually are, so no doubt she will win.

I would venture that a "present" vote on funding would have been met with the same reaction as a "no" vote by Jewish voters, seeing as they both accomplish the same result.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.5    3 years ago

I don't know what you mean. If you are saying she refuses to vote her convictions in order to protect her political future than I agree with you. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.6    3 years ago

My bad, I never saw that and it is kind of hard to prove. Can anyone provide that as the original copy?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.7    3 years ago
A recent article outlined how astute some of her constituents actually are, so no doubt she will win.

Her current district was recently redistricted and represents more Latino vote. That being said, she still has to deal with Chuck Schumer who won't take her garbage and she knows that.

I would venture that a "present" vote on funding would have been met with the same reaction as a "no" vote by Jewish voters, seeing as they both accomplish the same result.

Not really. The vote was going to go through, and this way she saves face with both her pals and other NYers.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.8    3 years ago
I don't know what you mean. If you are saying she refuses to vote her convictions in order to protect her political future than I agree with you. 

That is what I mean.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.13  Snuffy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.11    3 years ago
The vote was going to go through, and this way she saves face with both her pals and other NYers.

It's sad that she wouldn't give others the same grace you are giving her.  Some might say her attempt to save face might be a bit hypocritical. 

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez slammed 2020 Democratic presidential hopeful Tulsi Gabbard for being the only House Democrat  to vote “present” on impeachment articles  against President Trump and refusing to take a stand.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

What was Thomas Massie's (R-Ky.) excuse?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hallux @1.2    3 years ago

Good question. I was wondering that myself.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @1.2    3 years ago

I have no idea. Ask him!!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

Definitely agree.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

Seems like the Times can't quite figure out its own objectives here.

But hey, wasn't AOC's performance OUTSTANDING again?

Someone should sign her up for a soap opera!

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JaneDoe @2.1    3 years ago

Jane,

There I would have to disagree with you. She does have a brain and she is very manipulative. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JaneDoe @2.1    3 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JaneDoe @2.1    3 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3  Just Jim NC TttH    3 years ago

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3    3 years ago

HA!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

caught between their principles and the still powerful pro-Israel voices in their party, such as influential lobbyists and rabbis."

Those nefarious "influential rabbis" forcing Democrats  to protect civilians from terrorism. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    3 years ago

The usual diatribe of veiled antisemitism. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Voting against Israel in the US Congress does not = anti-semitism, although the right tries hard to always paint it as such. 

Has AOC ever said anything anti-semitic?  If so, what? 

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 years ago

77% of American Jews voted for Biden in 2920. Most do not support Israeli hardliners.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @5.1    3 years ago

That is true, but they also support Israel. 

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.2  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.1    3 years ago

So does the Democratic Party...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @5.1.2    3 years ago

I have not said otherwise.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.3    3 years ago

And now this FFS...........

"In an attempt to explain why she cried on the House floor after switching her vote against funding for Israel’s Iron Dome to a “present” vote, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez seemed to accuse her colleagues of physically threatening her.

“What we saw is a disappointment of just a willingness to rip our communities apart and put member safety at risk,” she told the Independent on Friday when asked about the vote.

To be honest, it’s a bit difficult to make out what this sentence even means. But clearly Ocasio-Cortez is trying to tie her safety and the well-being of other progressives to the vote on Iron Dome funding.

Perhaps she thinks this is the best way to excuse her own vote, which she changed at the very last minute to “present” to avoid having to take a legislative stand on the issue one way or the other. Or, maybe Ocasio-Cortez is trying to pin the blame on her fellow lawmakers, almost all of whom opposed the Squad’s attempt at derailing the funding package.

Given Ocasio-Cortez’s affinity for performative self-victimization, she’s probably trying to do both. She doesn’t want to own up to the fact that she caved to political pressure. She wants everyone to believe the rest of Congress, including members of her own party, are out to get her. It’s always everyone else’s fault, never hers.

She needs to grow up. Not one person’s safety was put at risk during that vote. What did happen is that she and some of her other buddies who opposed the Iron Dome funding were rightly called out for peddling anti-Semitic rhetoric. And if she can’t handle some well-placed criticism, she ought to consider whether she’s in the right profession.

Woman sure has a whole deck of victim cards.................

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1.4    3 years ago

Look Jim, I don't like her or her buddies and for sure she is a drama queen. But she is not the party and their vote shows that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1.4    3 years ago
What did happen is that she and some of her other buddies who opposed the Iron Dome funding were rightly called out for peddling anti-Semitic rhetoric.

Would you please post that "anti-semitic" rhetoric so I can assess it for myself. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.5    3 years ago

I didn't say she was the party. Not sure what you're saying here. I was just pointing out the drama queen within................It had nothing to do with either party. Her as an individual.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.8  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @5.1.2    3 years ago

Not  lately.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.5    3 years ago
But she is not the party and their vote shows that.

That's for sure and because of her the democratic party is divided.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.10  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.9    3 years ago
because of her the democratic party is divided.

You wish it were so purely because she is one of your favorite targets. You should worry more about the MTGs in your party more than the AOCs.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.11  XXJefferson51  replied to  JBB @5.1    3 years ago

Trump won a majority of orthodox and ultra Orthodox Jews as well as American Jews living in Israel voters.  Secular Jews were overwhelmingly democrat voters.  

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.12  JBB  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.11    3 years ago

Joe Biden Won 77% of American Jewish Votes!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.13  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @5.1.10    3 years ago
You wish it were so

I don't wish when it comes to facts. Here they are:

"Rep.  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez  threatened to tank a bipartisan  infrastructure  bill that's crucial to President Biden's agenda if moderate Democrats manage to decouple it from a sweeping, $3.5 trillion tax and spending bill filled with left-wing priorities. 

"Nothing would give me more pleasure than to tank a billionaire, dark money, fossil fuel, Exxon lobbyist drafted energy infrastructure bill if they come after our child care and climate priorities," she said.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.14  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @5.1.12    3 years ago

I think that's what he said. He gave you the breakdown.

We all know how important "Liberalism" is to American Jewish culture.