╌>

Are You A James Bond Fan? Then Prepare For A Shock

Category:  Entertainment

By:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  67 comments

Are You A James Bond Fan? Then Prepare For A Shock

The new James Bond film No Time To Die hits American movie theater screens this Friday. 

I read the wikipedia page and discovered there is a shocking and unexpected development in the plot that will likely change the series forever.  I have also seen a couple articles about this that note there is a new 007 in this movie, a black female. There is at least a chance that further 007 movies will not feature James Bond, although the owner of the franchise says they will. 

In any case future James Bond movies will  be noticeably different than the 25 that preceded them. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I wouldnt be too surprised if this turns out to be the last James Bond movie as we have known them for 60 years. 

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Does a non James Bond 007 really make any movie less enjoyable?  I don't think so. The character keeps changing (almost radically) with the ages anyway.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  evilone @1.1    3 years ago

You are probably on to what the future will hold. Either the new main character will be a woman 007 or they will just send James Bond back to the beginning. From what I read though this is probably the last "traditional" James Bond movie. A lot of the advertising also hints at that. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 years ago

By the way this movie reportedly cost 250 million dollars to make. The future of the series may ride on whether or not it makes a big profit. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 years ago
From what I read though this is probably the last "traditional" James Bond movie. A lot of the advertising also hints at that.

Yeah, but they say that every time they switch Bond actors.  I've also read the articles theorizing that there may be a female Bond in the future, but I have also read articles saying that the previous articles were not true.

Keep in mind though that this is not the 1st time this would have occurred.  Dr. Who, a scifi TV show that has been on for over 50 years and had over a dozen actors portraying the "Doctor", had just switched to a female Doctor for the 1st time a few years ago.  The results of that was a dramatic plunge in ratings and loss of viewership.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.3    3 years ago

In this new movie James Bond is retired and there is a new 007 , a black female ( I dont think that is too much of a spoiler since it has nothing to do with the plot. )  I think they may have done that to gauge audience reaction. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Jack_TX  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.3    3 years ago
Dr. Who, a scifi TV show that has been on for over 50 years and had over a dozen actors portraying the "Doctor", had just switched to a female Doctor for the 1st time a few years ago.  The results of that was a dramatic plunge in ratings and loss of viewership.

I think that has to do with a lot of things not related to a female Dr.  

I'd love to know what you think of Jodie in that role, and who you'd like to see playing it in the future.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.6  evilone  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.3    3 years ago
I've also read the articles theorizing that there may be a female Bond in the future, but I have also read articles saying that the previous articles were not true.

The rights holders deny continue to deny this as just fan chatter. I'll believe it when I see it.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.7  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    3 years ago
The future of the series may ride on whether or not it makes a big profit. 

IF it makes the money they expect it to make then we'll get one sooner rather than later. If not I think it just takes longer. Oh, and Danial Craig got $25M for No Time To Die. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.8  author  JohnRussell  replied to  evilone @1.1.6    3 years ago

people who want to see the new movie should avoid reading anything about this film, as there is a spoiler that will be hard to keep contained for long. 

im not going to give it away though. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.5    3 years ago
I think that has to do with a lot of things not related to a female Dr.

I think that has to do with a lot of factors, a female doctor being just one of them.  Horrendous writing being another.

I'd love to know what you think of Jodie in that role, and who you'd like to see playing it in the future.

Miscast.  She may be a good actor, but she doesn't have the gravitas or vocal power(?) to pull off the speeches that are required for the roll.  She comes off as whiney and confused.  Though a LOT of that is the abysmal writing of Chibnall.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.10  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.8    3 years ago
people who want to see the new movie should avoid reading anything about this film, as there is a spoiler that will be hard to keep contained for long. 

I've watched the first few trailers and then stopped. I don't think I've read any spoilers. Lashana Lynch as 007 was in the very first trailer, because we know the main plot is Bond coming out of retirement. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1.11  Jack_TX  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.9    3 years ago
Miscast.  She may be a good actor, but she doesn't have the gravitas or vocal power(?) to pull off the speeches that are required for the roll.  She comes off as whiney and confused.  Though a LOT of that is the abysmal writing of Chibnall.

I'd agree with pretty much all of that. 

I only watched about 2 or 3 JW episodes, so I can't really speak to the writing, but you're certainly not the only one who says it wasn't very good.

I feel like I quit watching because half the time I couldn't follow the thick Yorkshire accent.  But now that you mention it, yeah, there was something about her persona that just wasn't at all Doctor-esque.  The "vocal power" phrase kinda captures the idea.  Or maybe "vocal gravitas".

TBH, Capaldi didn't really have it either.  At least certainly not like Tennant or Smith.

I think you also bring up a good point that just because somebody is a stellar actor (Jodie Whittaker definitely is), doesn't mean they're right for a given role.  

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it goes with Davies back and a fresh face in the Tardis.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.12  Ozzwald  replied to  Jack_TX @1.1.11    3 years ago
I feel like I quit watching because half the time I couldn't follow the thick Yorkshire accent.

My wife hated watching, Kingsman: The Secret Service, for the exact same reason.

The "vocal power" phrase kinda captures the idea.  Or maybe "vocal gravitas".

Every previous doctor, at one time or another, had to pull off a monologue to the bad guy(s), to cause them to fear him, or to his companions to encourage them.  She just couldn't do it, she made it too whiney.

TBH, Capaldi didn't really have it either.  At least certainly not like Tennant or Smith.

He did, he wasn't allowed to do that much of it, but when he did, it came out.  Moffat was the writer with the big expositions.  However I think he was pretty burnt out by the time Capaldi took over.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it goes with Davies back and a fresh face in the Tardis.

AND Davies is going to be in charge of the 60th special.  So maybe he can help Whittaker go out on a positive performance.  I cannot think of a single good episode that she has had yet.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.8    3 years ago

Let me guess at spoilers.

1.   She marries Daniel Craig and gets pregnant.

2.   It's discovered that she's a trans-sexual and is caught in a men's toilet.

3.   She's actually a secret agent from SPECTRE.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.14  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  evilone @1.1    3 years ago
"Does a non James Bond 007 really make any movie less enjoyable?"

It does for me.  I find it hard to accept new actors for iconic roles.  For me, the only real James Bond is and will always be Sean Connery, the only real Superman is and will always be Christorpher Reeve, the only Jack Ryan is and will always be Alec Baldwin, but I have to admit that Gal Gadot has trumped Lynda Carter, but maybe that's because I've not watched a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman Movie for many many decades.  Harrison Ford has said there will NEVER be another Indiana Jones. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.15  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.13    3 years ago

It's discovered that she's a trans-sexual

During the filming of For Your Eyes Only, Roger Moore took a liking to one of the beautiful models in the poolside scene and flirted with her.  The girl's name is Tula who was a very successful model and transgender.  He had no idea.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.16  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.15    3 years ago

LOL

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

The franchise lost me with the naming of one of the characters....Pussy Galore.  About the only Bond movie I can stand is Moonraker because Jaws found love finally.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    3 years ago
The franchise lost me with the naming of one of the characters....Pussy Galore.

Then you missed out on another Bond girl "Christmas Jones"...

"And here I thought Christmas only came once a year..." - 007 Pierce Brosnan

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1    3 years ago

I probably did if the movie came out after the one with the character I mentioned.  I should not even like Moonraker because of the name of the character who saved them both...Goodhead, but I had such a soft spot for Jaws that I overlooked it.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.1    3 years ago
I should not even like Moonraker because of the name of the character who saved them both...Goodhead, but I had such a soft spot for Jaws that I overlooked it.

Then you are taking the joke a little too personal.

• Honey Ryder
  • Pussy Galore
  • Bonita
  • Dink
  • Kissy Suzuki
  • Tiffany Case
  • Plenty O'Toole
  • Bambi
  • Thumper
  • Solitaire
  • Mary Goodnight
  • Chew Mee
  • Holly Goodhead
  • Bibi Dahl
  • Octopussy
  • May Day
  • Lupe Lamora
  • Xenia Onatopp
  • Christmas Jones
  • Elektra King
  • Molly Warmflash
  • Strawberry Fields

It keeps going.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    3 years ago

I see nothing wrong with a few on the list such as Bonita which means pretty.  Now if the character had the name Bonita Gato, that would have been offensive.  I would like to see a female Bond and turn the tables with the male character names.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.3    3 years ago
I would like to see a female Bond and turn the tables with the male character names.

I agree, I think a female Bond COULD be good for the franchise, if properly done.  And yes, I think if they try it, the men should be subject to just as many naming jokes as the women have.

However, isn't that basically what Black Widow was?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.4    3 years ago

I haven't seen the BW movies.  I think Richard Pencil would be a great name. (Pencil Dick)

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.5    3 years ago
I think Richard Pencil would be a great name.

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    3 years ago

It had its day. Now we are just saturated with the same kind of things. The mission impossible movies, etc.

Dragon
Freshman Silent
4  Dragon    3 years ago

I'll go see the new Bond movie but haven't really followed them. My new franchise is John Wick with Keanu Reeves. Completely unbelievable with lots of action. I also liked The Accountant with Ben Affleck but thus far only 1 movie.  

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1  evilone  replied to  Dragon @4    3 years ago

I have the two prior Craig Bond movies, all three Wick movies and The Accountant on disk in my collection. CinemaBlend reported back in Sep, that we are getting The Accountant 2 & 3. Both Affleck and Jon Bernthal have signed on. I'm also looking forward to Atomic Blond 2 now that Netflix is backing it. That first movie was brutal!

Dragon
Freshman Silent
4.1.1  Dragon  replied to  evilone @4.1    3 years ago

Happy about new Accountant movies. Will have to check out Atomic Blond. Also like the Kingman series, looking forward to 3rd in December. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  evilone @4.1    3 years ago

You seem to be into movies.  How come you've never tried my movie quizzes?  By the way, The Accountant is one of my favourite more recent films (nothing will ever displace Casablanca as my favourite) and I'm both surprised and pleased to learn that there could be an Accountant 2 and more.  They could start it off with the Accountant meeting with his brother as he had promised to do.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.3  evilone  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    3 years ago
How come you've never tried my movie quizzes?

I've done a couple of the early one, but the last few I checked out were older classics then I have never seen or seen so long ago I don't remember much. 

...nothing will ever displace Casablanca as my favourite...

I've only watched Casablanca in German (I'm not great at German either) back in 1985.

They could start it off with the Accountant meeting with his brother as he had promised to do.

That's seems to be where they want to go with it from the snippet of interview on a podcast.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.4  evilone  replied to  Dragon @4.1.1    3 years ago
Also like the Kingman series, looking forward to 3rd in December. 

Yes. I enjoy those movies too. I was disappointed when they killed off Roxy in the second movie, though. I felt it unnecessary and a waste of a good character/actress. Then again she could show up in a future movie like Harry did... LOL.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  evilone @4.1.3    3 years ago

The most recent quiz I did was limited to movies released during the years 2015, 2016 and 2017.  

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.2  zuksam  replied to  Dragon @4    3 years ago

I liked the first John Wick movie a lot but the other two were just ok, all the action in the world doesn't make up for a weak plot. I liked the Accountant it was really good. I like Anna Kendrick and I really like that movie Mr Right she was in with Sam Rockwell.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.2.1  evilone  replied to  zuksam @4.2    3 years ago
I really like that movie Mr Right she was in with Sam Rockwell.

I didn't think I'd like that one until I watched it. It was pretty fun!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Dragon @4    3 years ago

I am a fan of Jackie Chan movies.  They are action packed with sometimes a comedic edge to them.  Rush Hour is a prime example.

MsMarple
Freshman Silent
5  MsMarple    3 years ago

Crazy stuff, but I saw Pierce Brosnan in Kauai just this past August. I was there on vacation with my fam for 2 weeks... doing my 5mi walk in the morning, and there is this guy who looks remarkably like Pierce Brosnan sitting in a pick up truck in front of a wine store (that'd be about 10am). I crossed the road in front of him, caught his eye - gave a little smile and a little nod, he did too.

Then I went to the grocery store nearby, to get some water - and what do you know? He was in front of me, in one of two very long lines. Then, magically, another cashier opened, and called him up, out of the middle of the line, and I followed too. After he left I asked the cashier if that was PB - she said yes.
Turns out he has a house just a few miles from our timeshare, in Tunnels Beach (we were in Princeville). So, apparently, he's been camped out in Kauai with his wife since the pandemic, and Princeville is where you shop for food.
So, yes, I was in a grocery store behind "Bond. James Bond"! lol!

Never Say Never was my favorite JB movie...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MsMarple @5    3 years ago

Great story.  I never met any celebrities when I was on Kauai, but I have fond memories of how beautiful it was there. 

MsMarple
Freshman Silent
5.1.1  MsMarple  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    3 years ago

Me neither, this was one and only time. But, apparently, Julia Roberts has a house right on the Hanalei Bay Beach! Every time I go there I try to figure out which one is hers. Still can't tell.

And of course, Mark Zuckerberg bought hundreds of acres in Kauai, it was on the news. He doesn't even live there, but he is suing everybody around to get his 400 acres of continuous space on the East Shore of Kauai. He is like: Screw the local land rights, and all that. He is just suing everybody. And he doesn't even live there.  

MsMarple
Freshman Silent
5.1.2  MsMarple  replied to  MsMarple @5.1.1    3 years ago

Needless to say - I hate this shit

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MsMarple @5.1.1    3 years ago

I think Hanalei Beach is the one that ends up with a lagoon just before the mountains come down to the sea.  It it's that one, when I was there hippies lived in tree houses built along the shore, and the lagoon is where I snorkeled and saw the amazing multi-coloured fish. 

I've despised Zuckerberg since he screwed his original fellow developers of FaceBook.  The only good thing he ever did in his life was to marry a Chinese woman. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MsMarple @5.1.1    3 years ago

He sounds like a nerdy version of Trump in regards to what he did in Scotland.  BTW, I am a big fan of your movies.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Welcome to NT.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the movies. I love the big screen. Nothing beats it.

That being said, James Bond was based on a real person, Sigmond Rosenblum aka, Sydney Reily. PBS did a whole series on it call "Reily Ace of Spies". His life was amazing. He is the person who actually was the first real spy of the British Secret Service.

MsMarple
Freshman Silent
6.1  MsMarple  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6    3 years ago
Sigmond Rosenblum

Who knew??? I never heard this, and neither did anybody I know who knows James Bond. Wow, thank you for the historical reference!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MsMarple @6.1    3 years ago

I'm glad to share some info. Btw, nice to meet you! 

MsMarple
Freshman Silent
6.1.2  MsMarple  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.1    3 years ago

Same here

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Okay, fun poll time.  Who should be the new Bond?  My choice.....Hugh Jackman.  He is smart, funny, drop dead gorgeous, and can rock any action movie.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    3 years ago

I would have said yes....15-20 years ago. I think it's time for Ebris Alba to have a turn (I think that's how his name is spelled)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1    3 years ago

Good choice. He looks like someone with gravitas. 

OIP.A-D5a1Pkq7mK2-QouEJ5QQHaKx?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Idris Elba

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.1    3 years ago

I knew I would spell his name wrong but grateful you knew who I was talking about

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.1    3 years ago

Morris Chestnut would be a good choice also.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    3 years ago

I think they need to rethink their strategy. Stop with the older men. Get in someone young.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.1  Ender  replied to  Ender @7.2    3 years ago

This guy,

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @7.2.1    3 years ago

Who is that?

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.3  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.2.2    3 years ago

I just saw a movie he was in. Baby Driver.

Ansel Elgort. Plus he is British.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @7.2.3    3 years ago

One look at him make me wish I were 50 years younger.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @7.2    3 years ago

Some things and people are like a fine wine, the older the better.  HJ is one of those people as was Sean Connery.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @7.2    3 years ago

They tried that using Timothy Dalton.  It was a box office flop.

Dragon
Freshman Silent
7.2.7  Dragon  replied to  Ender @7.2.3    3 years ago

He was good in Baby Driver. Would make a good Bond. 

MsMarple
Freshman Silent
7.2.9  MsMarple  replied to  Ender @7.2    3 years ago

Boo

Hallux
Masters Principal
8  Hallux    3 years ago

It's well past time for a Jane Bond ... Kate Beckinsale.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hallux @8    3 years ago

My choice would be Rachel Weiz aka Mrs. Daniel Craig.  She is tough as nails when she needs to be.