╌>

‘We will not comply!’: NYC workers protest vax mandate with march across Brooklyn Bridge

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  145 comments

By:   By Elizabeth Rosner and Sam Raskin

‘We will not comply!’: NYC workers protest vax mandate with march across Brooklyn Bridge
“Thousands of good cops and city municipal workers stand to lose their jobs,” said a police officer. “Are the good people of New York City confident adequate people will fill those positions. I’m frightened of what comes next?”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

City workers took to the streets Monday to protest Mayor Bill de Blasio’s  vaccine mandate for the entire municipal workforce .

At least 20 people were arrested during the protest, a police source said.

Days after the mayor announced that all government employees except for jail staff will need to receive a vaccine shot by Friday or be placed on unpaid leave, about 5,000 incensed demonstrators marched over the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan.

Many carried American flags, chanting, “F–k de Blasio” and “We will not comply!”

Some protesters wore NYPD and FDNY shirts, and several hoisted Gadsden “Don’t Tread on Me” flags, while others took to the extreme of wearing yellow stars of David to compare the inoculation requirement to Nazi Germany’s persecution of Jews.

“Now, [after] working after countless of emergencies — Hurricane Sandy, the snowstorms … I am under threat. We are under threat of losing our livelihood for simply retaining the choice of protecting our bodies,” fumed firefighter Sofia Medina after the crowd reached City Hall.  

“Why now are we being bribed and coerced to take a medication. … We are not now nor have ever been a public health threat.” 

“Leave us alone and let us work,” she said to de Blasio. “Get out of the way for those of us who want to work and show up on time.”

“Mayor de Blasio wants to paint us as immoral, unsafe, and a danger to the public. To the citizens of the city, we want to continue protecting you,” bellowed 
Paul Schweit, who was wearing an FDNY shirt.

“Thousands of good cops and city municipal workers stand to lose their jobs,” said a police officer. “Are the good people of New York City confident adequate people will fill those positions. I’m frightened of what comes next?”

The cop wondered, “Under the authority of Mayor de Blasio, what will be the next order for the NYPD?”

Another member of the city’s police force addressed NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea, who  supports a vaccine mandate .

“To Police Commissioner Shea: We have always been prepared to lay down our lives in defense of ours, will you run to our aid or stand idly by?” said a male cop, addressing the protesters.

The protest against City Hall’s new policy comes after de Blasio on Wednesday announced that the test-or-shot requirement would be replaced by an outright vaccine rule.

City employees — including firefighters and cops — will be mandated to get their first dose by 5 p.m. Friday, the mayor said. Members of the city workforce who have not started their vaccine series by Nov. 1 will be placed on unpaid leave until they provide proof of vaccination.

Previously, only  Department of Education staff  and city health workers were required to be inoculated against COVID-19.

As an incentive, holdouts who agree to receive a jab will get a $500 paycheck boost.

Correction officers have until Dec. 1 to receive their first shot,  due to an ongoing staffing shortage  at the  beleaguered Rikers Island .

Some city workers who already got their shots told The Post they viewed not receiving the hundreds of dollars reward  as a sign of “disrespect.”

The demonstration follows  a mob of anti-vaxxers gathering  outside the Barclays Center on Sunday to support Nets star Kyrie Irving, whom the team is not allowing to play because he has not yet been vaccinated.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

I'm not takling a side in this one, but I do know somebody in New York who knows how to do an interview. I'd like her to ask each protestor if they voted for Joe Biden as her first question. Or is she too busy these days?

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.1  Veronica  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

What does that have to do with the article?  Or are you just introducing another Hate Biden Fest?  Cuz last I knew Biden doesn't run NYC which the story is about.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Veronica @1.1    3 years ago

You don't know?  Really?

Let me do the honors - Joe Biden introduced government mandates. If anyone doesn't like them and voted for Biden, they have their own ass to kick!

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Veronica  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    3 years ago

You are really reaching to keep your Biden Hate Fest going.  I find it extremely telling you can't even stay on topic in your own seed.  How pathetic.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Veronica @1.1.2    3 years ago

Mandates are mentioned in the article. Mandates must be on topic then no matter who issued them.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Veronica @1.1.2    3 years ago

I know how important the good name of hate fests are to you, but let's not make it personal.

Remember rule 1?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    3 years ago

They want you to forget that vaccine mandates was Biden's idea.

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.1.6  Veronica  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.4    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.5    3 years ago

Some folks do seem a tad touchy about any criticism of Biden.

I guess when even Democrats are disappointed with his "leadership", lashing out is all that is left.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Veronica @1.1.6    3 years ago

Again, he is on topic. Mandates are mentioned in the article, thus they are on topic.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.7    3 years ago

I don't think what Biden did on mandates is unreasonable (it may be illigal), the fact is that he made it a federal policy.  Why would we have to debate that?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.8    3 years ago

Joe Biden is not the topic, per the article. The mayor of NYC who made the mandates is.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.11  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.10    3 years ago

I seeded the article. I say mandates & Biden are on topic.

Who is Veronica to say whats on topic?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.11    3 years ago

Vic, you were even talking about me. I am not the topic. Please do not include me in this.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.13  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.12    3 years ago

You just put yourself into this. I'm the seeder and I say that Biden is on topic. [deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.13    3 years ago

First of all, you included me from the get go:

I do know somebody in New York who knows how to do an interview. I'd like her to ask each protestor if they voted for Joe Biden as her first question. Or is she too busy these days?

Generally, the article is the topic, unless defined in the first statement as in "Biden is on topic". You only mentioned him and me. 

Are you making a new rule to please Veronica?

And no I don't do things like that. I removed the comment as per seeder, but only because of references to other articles.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.10    3 years ago

The article clearly mentions mandates, I have been told many times that if something is mentioned in an article, then it is on topic.

Is that no longer true?

Things mentioned in articles are now considered off topic?

"Segues to highly-related topics are allowed. For example, an article on high-speed rail systems could spawn discussions on why the USA seems to be falling behind on this form of mass transit systems. Authors (and seeders) determine (in general terms) what is considered on-topic (topical guidelines) while moderators determine if a specific comment violates the author’s topical guidelines."

Could an article about mandates spawn a discussion about federal mandates for the same thing(vaccinations)?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.16  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.14    3 years ago
First of all, you included me from the get go:

In a vague, yet positive way!  (A friendly Olive branch)

Generally, the article is the topic, unless defined in the first statement as in "Biden is on topic". You only mentioned him and me. 

Articles and seeds may be as narrow or as broad as the author/seeder likes.

And no I don't do things like that.

Good. Please stay that way,

I removed the comment as per seeder, but only because of references to other articles.

Veronica's comment should have been removed as a violation of rule 1 - mentioning members in a negative way, a personal attack or a personal insult.

Veronica
Professor Guide
1.1.17  Veronica  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.13    3 years ago

[deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.15    3 years ago
The article clearly mentions mandates, I have been told many times that if something is mentioned in an article, then it is on topic.

The article is clearly discussing NYC mandates. Nothing else.

Could an article about mandates spawn a discussion about federal mandates for the same thing(vaccinations)?

Only if the seeder allows it, which is usually defined in the beginning so that they can't disqualify comments made later on.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.19  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.14    3 years ago

When have any of us ever been on topic...

Haha

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.20  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.18    3 years ago
Only if the seeder allows it, which is usually defined in the beginning so that they can't disqualify comments made later on.

But not always. We have had seeders/authors declare something off/on topic well into the thread and the mods have respected it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.21  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.20    3 years ago

This is meta. You want to discuss this go to Metafied. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.18    3 years ago
The article is clearly discussing NYC mandates. Nothing else.

That is fine, so when an article is talking about an event which happens in one state, any related events in other states would be off topic?

Seems weird that a NYC mandate for Covid vaccinations can not segue into federal mandates for the same, according to the C of C, but I understand the rules now.

The seeder has allowed it.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.23  Raven Wing  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.11    3 years ago
I seeded the article. I say mandates & Biden are on topic.

Are you now going to make up your own rules because you are the seeder? I don't think it works that way. 

Perrie plays by the CoC rules that were voted for by the majority of the NT Members. She does not make up her own rules. Just because you are the seeder does not mean you are exempt from having to play by the CoC rules whether you voted for them or not.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.24  bugsy  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.23    3 years ago

[deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2  Ozzwald    3 years ago
  • City workers took to the streets Monday to protest wearing seatbelts.
  • City workers took to the streets Monday to protest looking both ways before crossing the street.
  • City workers took to the streets Monday to protest not being able to eat raw pork or chicken.
  • City workers took to the streets Monday to protest child safety seats being required.
  • City workers took to the streets Monday to protest having to follow traffic laws.

Yes, their protests look this silly.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Ozzwald @2    3 years ago

I remember my son not wanting to wear his bicycle helmet.  I told him it's the law and to write his congressman.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1    3 years ago
I remember my son not wanting to wear his bicycle helmet.  I told him it's the law and to write his congressman.

Which makes you and your son, apparently smarter than 1/3 of the republicans in this country.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    3 years ago

I like to think I'm smarter than half.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.2    3 years ago
I like to think I'm smarter than half.

I'll be generous, I think you're smarter than 3/4's.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.3    3 years ago

You're generous indeed.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ozzwald @2    3 years ago

They also took to the streets to protest NO SHIRT NO SHOES NO SERVICE signs in businesses.

evilone
Professor Guide
3  evilone    3 years ago
5,000 incensed demonstrators marched over the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan

Hope they didn't block traffic! In some conservative circles that's considered worthy of being run over.

Mayor de Blasio wants to paint us as immoral, unsafe, and a danger to the public.

You are unsafe and a danger to others who have underlying conditions an/or a compromised immune system. Wouldn't the moral thing to do is get vaccinated? 

Thousands of good cops and city municipal workers stand to lose their jobs

Thousands of good cops dies last year of COVID. It was the number one killer of LEOs in 2020.

Some city workers who already got their shots told The Post they viewed not receiving the hundreds of dollars reward...

I didn't get any number of things that were used to incentivize shots here either and I too am salty about it. They should get that bonus check.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  Kavika   replied to  evilone @3    3 years ago
Hope they didn't block traffic! In some conservative circles that's considered worthy of being run over.

Hell if they were in Florida we couldn't have run their dumbasses over, no crime.

Thousands of good cops dies last year of COVID. It was the number one killer of LEOs in 2020.

YTD it's the number one killer in 2021 as well.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @3.1    3 years ago
Hell if they were in Florida

If they were in Florida they could have their job plus a $5,000 bonus:

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    3 years ago

I'm well aware of what DeSantis is offering. Yup, send our tax money on dumb fucks that don't want to be vaccinated and help spread COVID. $5,000 for stupidity seems right in line with DeSantis and your thinking. 

Do you think that they will keep their seniority and benefits package when they are new hires in Florida, Vic?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Kavika @3.1.2    3 years ago

So does that mean you buy into the "we have to protect the vaccinated from the unvaccinated" thing?

If you're vaccinated it shouldn't matter if they are or not. Seems to me they are only a threat to the like minded except for those who may be immunocompromised.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.3    3 years ago

If one had any brains and were aware of the fact the COVID is the leading killer of LEO's that getting protected by getting a fricking vaccine would be something that anyone with an IQ above room temperature would want. 

But let's pay $5,000 for each stupid LEO. 

About 3% of the US population is comprised and that amounts to 630,000 people in Florida additionally we are one of the states with the highest number of seniors. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Kavika @3.1.4    3 years ago
If one had any brains and were aware of the fact the COVID is the leading killer of LEO's

Their problem. Not yours or mine. I'm protected so if they want to play Russian roulette, not my clowns. Not my circus. They have been warned and informed.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.5    3 years ago
Their problem. Not yours or mine.

Actually, it is my problem, with the senior and comprised population of Florida it becomes everyone's problem. Plus paying $5,000 for a whiny LEO that doesn't want the vaccine isn't the best financial decision a state can make. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Ender  replied to  Kavika @3.1.6    3 years ago

Aren't cops taxpayer funded.

So basically Floridian taxpayers have to pay these idiots a large sum just to take a vac.

Ridiculous.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Kavika   replied to  Ender @3.1.7    3 years ago

So basically Floridian taxpayers have to pay these idiots a large sum just to take a vac. 

Nope, DeSantis is telling LEO's from other states to come to Florida to work and they do not have to be vaccinated then, now or in the future and the taxpayer will give them $5,000 as a bonus. 

About as stupid as one can get.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Ender  replied to  Kavika @3.1.8    3 years ago

That sounds worse.

So Florida will end up with all the morons.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Kavika   replied to  Ender @3.1.9    3 years ago
So Florida will end up with all the morons.

BINGO

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.11  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @3.1.9    3 years ago

They already have the lion's share now.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.2  Greg Jones  replied to  evilone @3    3 years ago
evilgenius wrote: "You are unsafe and a danger to others who have underlying conditions an/or a compromised immune system. Wouldn't the moral thing to do is get vaccinated?"
Can't the vaccinated still carry a viral load. What about natural immunity?

evilone
Professor Guide
3.2.1  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2    3 years ago
Can't the vaccinated still carry a viral load.

Yes, but studies of the infection has shown transmission to be lessened after vaccination.

What about natural immunity?

Provided COVID doesn't kill you, or give you long term health issues, natural anti-bodies are shown to last for an average of 3 months. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2    3 years ago

First of all, "natural immunity" refers to people who are naturally immune, which is a rarity. 

Yes, the vaccinated can carry a viral load, but so do the unvaccinated. That is not the reason we need more compliance. It's so that we reach herd immunity, which means the virus dies out. When the virus has no place to go to brew, it burns out.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.2    3 years ago

Ummmmm I am now naturally immune having had a severe case and I also have the vaccine which makes me a hybrid immune person.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2    3 years ago

Your question could have been answered by a 15 second search from Google, as Evilgenius has shown.  Perhaps you should start researching before submitting such easily debunked questions.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.2.5  Ronin2  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2    3 years ago

Of course the fully vaccinated can still carry and transmit Covid 19. It is something they always overlook when blasting anti-vaxxers.

You can still spread COVID-19 after you’ve been fully vaccinated, so be mindful that your cold or allergy symptoms may be a mild breakthrough case that can be spread to unvaccinated children and others — and may make them very sick.

While it is possible, Dr. Cardona says that the ability to transmit COVID-19 may occur at a lower rate. She adds that this could also be a reality for people who don’t have a good immune response to vaccines.   “The elderly, those with immune or chronic health conditions or those with underlying health disorders may not have the best protective response to vaccines, such as the COVID-19 vaccines. We are still collecting data and doing ongoing research about the vaccine responses in these vulnerable populations.” 

New  data  was released by the CDC showing that vaccinated people infected with the delta variant can carry detectable viral loads similar to those of people who are unvaccinated, though in the vaccinated, these levels rapidly diminish. There is also some question about how cultivatable—or viable—this virus retrieved from vaccinated people actually is. 

While this sounds discouraging, it’s important to keep three things in mind:

1. Vaccines remain highly effective at preventing severe disease.
  2. Breakthrough infections among vaccinated individuals remain uncommon.
  3. The majority of new COVID-19 infections in the US are among unvaccinated people. 

So, what does all of this mean in terms of risks for both vaccinated and unvaccinated people? And what might data like this suggest for public health guidance going forward?  Amesh Adalja, MD , of the Center for Health Security, answers a few questions about our evolving understanding of immunity and COVID vaccines. 

THE NEW DATA SAYS THAT A FULLY VACCINATED PERSON WHO EXPERIENCES A BREAKTHROUGH INFECTION CAN SPREAD THE VIRUS JUST AS MUCH AS AN UNVACCINATED PERSON. IS THIS ONLY FOR SYMPTOMATIC INFECTIONS?

It’s expected that symptomatic breakthroughs are more contagious than asymptomatic breakthroughs.

When extrapolating, it is critical to understand that this study is derived primarily from one major site in which the activities and the settings that were leading to infections are not necessarily representative of the day-to-day life of a fully vaccinated individual.

The only way to prevent the spread of Covid 19 would be to put the entire planet on lock down- been tried and failed; or put everyone in self contained environmental suits. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.6  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @3.2.5    3 years ago

So this 'study' and its claims is from one site and activities and settings are not representative....

They admit it...

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.7  Hallux  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.3    3 years ago
I am now naturally immune

No, you are now actively immune. As to whether or not you are a hybrid, your secret is safe with me.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Hallux @3.2.7    3 years ago

I stand corrected.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.9  Hallux  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.8    3 years ago

At your service excellency.   ; -)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.10  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.2    3 years ago
First of all, "natural immunity" refers to people who are naturally immune, which is a rarity. 

It doesn't include those who have had the virus?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.11  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.10    3 years ago

Not according to the link in 3.2.7

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.12  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.11    3 years ago

[deleted]

It's easier up there where there is no Bill of Rights.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.13  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.12    3 years ago

Up here, it is called a Charter of Rights and it is embedded within the constitution. If you care to read up on it:

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.3    3 years ago

What you had right after getting covid is active immunity. Same with getting the vaccine. 

I realize that there is a lot of mixed messaging with these terms.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.15  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.10    3 years ago
It doesn't include those who have had the virus?

No, those people have active immunity.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.2.16  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.14    3 years ago

yep Hallux tuned me in on that. Didn't know there was a difference. I learned something in my old age LOL

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.17  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.15    3 years ago

Excellent! From your lips to Rochelle Walensky's ears!

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.18  Hallux  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.15    3 years ago

Careful, you'll be categorized as one of those "up there".

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.19  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.2.16    3 years ago

The problem is the CDC isn't mentioning any kind of immunity for those who have already had it.  

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.20  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.19    3 years ago

To extrapolate from one of Nietzsche's maxims: "Stare into the abyss and it stares back at you." Look for a problem and you will find one. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.21  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.14    3 years ago
I realize that there is a lot of mixed messaging with these terms.

"Although scientific authorities widely use “natural immunity” as a neutral description of immunity acquired through infection , it has different significance outside of medical journals."

And that's the way it has been used.

Veronica
Professor Guide
3.2.22  Veronica  replied to  Hallux @3.2.20    3 years ago
"Stare into the abyss and it stares back at you."

I love that one.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.23  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @3.2.20    3 years ago

Ayn Rand observed: "The greatest guilt of modern industrialists is not the fumes of their factory smokestacks, but the pollution of this country's intellectual life, which they have condoned, assisted and supported."

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.24  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.23    3 years ago

Ayn is a pedestrian compared to Fredrich.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.25  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @3.2.24    3 years ago

And Fredrich was a pedestrian compared to Marx, yet you may recall, Marx was wrong about everything.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.26  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.23    3 years ago

Ayn Rand was a hypocrite, a thief, and a liar. How ironic she is putting down intellectuals while acting as one. Typical of her. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.27  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.26    3 years ago

But she was right on economics.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.28  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.27    3 years ago

Not really. You might want to read this:

btw, she relied on social nets in her old age, so that should tell you something about laissez-faire capitalism

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.29  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.27    3 years ago

According to Libertarians.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.30  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.28    3 years ago

Good luck to Ms Dalmia with that little opinion piece written during the financial/housing crisis. You can tell Shikha that if she's looking for a reason, look no further than here:

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.31  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @3.2.29    3 years ago

According to Economists

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.32  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.25    3 years ago

Nietzsche and Marx shared little in common, conflating the 2 borders on the ridiculous and raises doubt that you have read either [deleted]

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.33  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.31    3 years ago

Indeed, Libertarian economists and especially those of the Austrian School.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.34  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.30    3 years ago

Ms. Dalmia opinions were not wrong. Here are others You can't claim they were all wrong, just because you like Rand. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.35  Kavika   replied to  Hallux @3.2.32    3 years ago

I was looking for a book report on that subject. There are many book reports on NT.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.36  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.34    3 years ago
Ms. Dalmia opinions were not wrong.

Yes they were.

Are you against Capitalism?

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.37  Hallux  replied to  Kavika @3.2.35    3 years ago
There are many book reports on NT.

Indeed, and it appears that only they are read and not the books themselves.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.38  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.36    3 years ago
Are you against Capitalism?

That's a silly question to ask a radical centrist like Perrie.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.39  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.36    3 years ago

Of course, I am not against capitalism. I came from a family business, I'm an accountant and my minor was in economics. Just because I think that Rand was a self-serving, self-proclaimed economist (her degree was in fiction writing, so her opinion was as good as anyone else's), doesn't mean I am not a capitalist, and I am one who knows at least something about it, unlike her.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.40  Kavika   replied to  Hallux @3.2.13    3 years ago

One would think that a bit of research is in order before making a totally false comment. Oh well, lesson learned, maybe.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.41  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @3.2.38    3 years ago

A little too much bait on the hook.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.42  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.41    3 years ago

Wrong bait, wrong hook and definitely the wrong fish.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.43  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @3.2.42    3 years ago

As usual

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.44  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hallux @3.2.7    3 years ago

Do we get to guess what hybrid he is and is it animal, mineral, or vegetable?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.45  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2.26    3 years ago

She was also pro-choice

Veronica
Professor Guide
3.2.46  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.45    3 years ago

BooYah

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4  Jeremy Retired in NC    3 years ago

In August NYC reported an o verall crime in the city decreased by 5.4%.  Yeah, that's about to change.  And it won't continue to decline.  My guess is that it will spike drastically.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4    3 years ago

Broke former cops turning to a life of crime?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  SteevieGee @4.1    3 years ago

No.  People fired by these states and municipalities will move to red states and resume their careers.  The blue states will deal with labor shortages in health, first responders , and law enforcement.  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  SteevieGee @4.1    3 years ago
Broke former cops turning to a life of crime?

No.  They move to states that don't shit on them.  You know, red states.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Kavika   replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    3 years ago

The leading killer of LEO's is COVID, and they don't want the vaccine. Not the brightest decision but let them move to red states, they can die there just as fast if not faster than where they currently live. 

I'm sure that an LEO is going to give up whatever number of years of seniority they have to move to another state and start at the bottom. 

More brilliant decision making. 

But mommy I don't want the shot, just because.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.1.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.2    3 years ago
No.  They move to states that don't shit on them.

Or they could just quit being crybabies, man up, and do their jobs.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  SteevieGee @4.1.4    3 years ago

They are trying to do their jobs.  Or did you miss that part.  It was implied...

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    3 years ago

God what babies people have become...

So out doing their job, no worries...

Told to get a vaccine that could save their lives they turn into children not wanting to eat their broccoli...

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1  charger 383  replied to  Ender @5    3 years ago
I would rather get a shot than eat broccoli

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.1  Hallux  replied to  charger 383 @5.1    3 years ago

Most people overcook broccoli, it should be steamed to a crisp bright green, not boiled to a mushy army green.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  charger 383 @5.1    3 years ago

For me, it would be liver.  I like raw broccoli, but can't stand it cooked.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @5    3 years ago

It seems like yesterday when democrats were honoring the front line nurses & doctors & cops & firemen and ambulance workers who bravely went out and tried to save people during the early days of the pandemic.

Now the left wants to mock and fire them.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2    3 years ago

Seems to me, they mock themselves...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @5.2.1    3 years ago

I see.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Ender @5.2.1    3 years ago

They're a bunch of ignorant shitheads to give up their livelihoods because they're a bunch of ignorant pussies who are afraid of getting a shot.

They are mocking themselves.  

Idiots - give up their jobs for their agnorance (ignorance combined with arrogance)

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.3  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @5    3 years ago

That's a good way of putting it. And people complaining about mandates are like children whining about having to do their chores.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Cops are supposed to serve and protect, not serve and infect.  

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    3 years ago

What gets me is the number of cops that die because of the virus yet they won't take the shot.

Where is Reagan when needed...

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    3 years ago

So, if all the cops are on the Brooklyn bridge, a good day to be a criminal in the city.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @7    3 years ago

With de Blasio as mayor, any day is a good day to be a criminal in NYC

charger 383
Professor Silent
8  charger 383    3 years ago

I just came back from getting my booster shot, so far no side effects but after type B flue last week I'll deal with any if I get.  Nobody told me to and I got the booster soon as it was available because I wanted it

Hallux
PhD Principal
8.1  Hallux  replied to  charger 383 @8    3 years ago

A responsible citizen, good for you!

swamijim says
Freshman Silent
8.1.1  swamijim says  replied to  Hallux @8.1    3 years ago

Anyone refusing vaccination really should be shot..

Hallux
PhD Principal
8.1.2  Hallux  replied to  swamijim says @8.1.1    3 years ago

How about just jabbed?

charger 383
Professor Silent
8.1.3  charger 383  replied to  Hallux @8.1    3 years ago

thanks

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  swamijim says @8.1.1    3 years ago

Oh please.  Shooting them is just fucking nuts.   What they should receive is no hospital care if infected.  Send them home with meds and O2, but the beds belong to those who deserve them.  They should also lose their health insurance and have to cover all costs personally.  If they end up homeless, too damned bad.

ENOUGH
Freshman Silent
8.1.5  ENOUGH  replied to  swamijim says @8.1.1    3 years ago

So everyone who doesn't agree with you should be shot?  Talk about arrogance.

charger 383
Professor Silent
8.2  charger 383  replied to  charger 383 @8    3 years ago

about 2 hours after getting shot, I felt sick and laid down. When I woke up I felt better, This morning I feel good but a little tired.  The first J&J shot did not bother me. I think the protection was worth it.   

A friend who would not get the shot obituary is in the paper this morning  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @8.2    3 years ago

I'm sorry you lost someone to Covid.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  charger 383 @8.2    3 years ago

Condolences to you about the loss of your friend.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.2.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  charger 383 @8.2    3 years ago

I get my booster this Friday.  I have already cleared the next day in case I feel like a bag of bruised bones like I did with the second shot.  I have snacks, water, and movies to watch all day next to my bed.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @8.2    3 years ago

Very sorry about your friend.

Which booster did you receive?

charger 383
Professor Silent
8.2.5  charger 383  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.2.4    3 years ago

Thanks, Pfizer, my first shot was J&J

Veronica
Professor Guide
8.2.6  Veronica  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.2.3    3 years ago

I am not able to get it yet.  I am hoping my employer will soon open it up to all.  My daughter got her booster on Monday (she is immunosuppressed).  She was a little more tired than usual, but I don't know if it was because of the booster or the fact she is on the tail end of her treatment period.  She was out doing yard work today so I am hoping it was just a flash from the booster.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @8.2.5    3 years ago

They sent out a memo earlier this week that as long as you got fully vaxxxed with either of the 3 your booster can be any of the 3. They're setting up a clinic next Friday and I think it might be the Moderna. They gave out the J&J one last March

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.2.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Veronica @8.2.6    3 years ago

Can you get it from other than your employer?

Veronica
Professor Guide
8.2.9  Veronica  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.2.8    3 years ago

I work for a hospital & if I get it here it goes into the system & I don't have to supply any paperwork.  Technically I am still not on the approved for booster list yet. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.2.10  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.2.3    3 years ago
I get my booster this Friday.

Got my Pfizer booster on the 4th of this month. A little soreness where I got the shot on the second day, then nothing in the afternoon or there after.  

I was very glad that the Rite Aid only ten minutes from me were giving the COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters, as getting the first two vaccinations early this year was a totally wild and confusing ordeal. 

I was very happy to get my Pfizer booster and know that I won't infect my loved ones. And that means everything to me. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.3  Raven Wing  replied to  charger 383 @8    3 years ago
Nobody told me to and I got the booster soon as it was available because I wanted it

A man who can, and does, think for themselves. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
8.3.1  charger 383  replied to  Raven Wing @8.3    3 years ago

Thanks

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9  Tessylo    3 years ago

It's sheer ignorance to refuse a life saving vaccine and to lose your livelihood.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @9    3 years ago
It's sheer ignorance to refuse a life saving vaccine and to lose your livelihood. 

Should be interesting to see how all of this works out. Many unions are fighting the mandates tooth and nail. I wonder if their contributions will continue to flow to Democrats supporting mandates.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @9    3 years ago

Especially when the decision is made from believing some of the bs about as to why the vaccine is a bad idea such as microchips in them and that you become magnetized.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.2    3 years ago

I heard someone (an antivaccer of course) say the vaccines were made from aborted fetuses. My eyes rolled so hard at that, they might have done a 360 degree spin.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Gordy327 @9.2.1    3 years ago

I hope you called them out on that bs.  I would have.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.2.2    3 years ago

I did not. Normally, I would. But I was not in the mood to deal with it at the time. I had the distinct impression that anything I said would be ignored. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.3  Gordy327  replied to  Tessylo @9    3 years ago

Not ignorance. Just outright stupidity.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10  Tessylo    3 years ago

[deleted]

ENOUGH
Freshman Silent
11  ENOUGH    3 years ago

This is supposed to be America not a country of totalitarian mandates.  People who want the vaccine are free to get it but people who don't want the vaccine should also be free to make their own choice. Police are not allowed to take blood from a prisoner without a warrant, because the courts have ruled the act invasive. If breaking the skin to draw blood is invasive then what is breaking the skin to inject an under tested substance?

My and their personal choice to refuse a vaccine is just as valid and important as the personal choice of those who choose to get the vaccine. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  ENOUGH @11    3 years ago

Of course people have the right to choose.   But when that choice endangers the lives of others which could kill them, then they need to face consequences for their actions.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
11.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  ENOUGH @11    3 years ago
This is supposed to be America not a country of totalitarian mandates.  People who want the vaccine are free to get it but people who don't want the vaccine should also be free to make their own choice.

No one forces you to get a drivers license and drive on public roads, but if you do you have to follow the law. You have to get your vehicle registered, often checking it's emissions before allowed, you have to pass a driving test, you have to follow road safety rules and speed limits.

You can choose to refuse the vaccine, stay home, that's your right. But refusing the vaccine has consequences and means that you can't just go anywhere you want in society, work for the government that hires people to be a front line health or safety worker, and other professions that require being around lots of civilians, without getting vaccinated.

Police are not allowed to take blood from a prisoner without a warrant, because the courts have ruled the act invasive.

Again, just like that suspect who can refuse to let his blood be drawn without a warrant, you can refuse the vaccine, no one is taking that right away from you. Just like if you happen to have a job that requires mandatory random drug testing (which is legal in most States), you can choose not to work there if you don't want to drug test. If you have a job that requires mandatory vaccinations then you can choose not to work there, no one is forcing you so there are no rights being violated.

My and their personal choice to refuse a vaccine is just as valid and important as the personal choice of those who choose to get the vaccine.

And no one is denying you or they those rights. If you choose to work for the government, State or private companies that have implemented mandatory vaccination requirements then you choose to get vaccinated, it's still your choice. To work in my business I had to get a State license and get fingerprinted, I didn't get a choice to refuse that unless I chose not to work in this industry. If I really didn't want to give my fingerprints or get vaccinated then I would choose work that didn't require them because it's still a choice, my personal freedom, and no one has taken that away from anyone.

Just like Kim Davis, the county clerk in Kentucky, who refused to issue a marriage license to gay couples. She had a choice to work there or not, if one of the primary functions of the job you've applied to is to issue marriage certificates you can't just say "Nah, I don't want to even though I'm being paid to perform this work". And the same is true for vaccine mandates, you can't just say "Nah, I don't want to even though I'm being paid to perform a job that requires it".

None of these folk are slaves, they can quit their jobs if they don't want to follow company policy or refuse to do the job they were hired for.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
11.3  Gordy327  replied to  ENOUGH @11    3 years ago

No, refusing to get the vaccine in the middle of a pandemic, while having the right to refuse, is hardly valid. It's stupid, selfish, and irresponsible! If anything, mandates help protect so.e of us from such stupidity. Especially since that stupidity can lead to people dying!