╌>

Sidney Poitier, 1st Black man to win best actor Oscar, dies at 94

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  2 years ago  •  34 comments

By:   ABC - no author listed

Sidney Poitier, 1st Black man to win best actor Oscar, dies at 94

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sidney Poitier , the Oscar-winning actor who brought a quiet dignity to his characters on screen and helped break down the color barrier in Hollywood, has died. He was 94 years old.

Poitier's death was confirmed by two Bahamian ministers. Deputy Prime Minister Chester Cooper told ABC News he was "conflicted with great sadness and a sense of celebration when I learned of the passing of Sir Sidney Poitier."

"Sadness that he would no longer be here to tell him how much he means to us, but celebration that he did so much to show the world that those from the humblest beginnings can change the world and that we gave him his flowers while he was with us," he said.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Fred Mitchell also told ABC News, "We've lost a great Bahamian and I've lost a personal friend."

MORE: Sydney Poitier through the years

Poitier became the first Black man to win an Academy Award for best actor in 1964 for his role in "Lilies of the Field." He was perhaps best known for his role as a Black doctor engaged to a white woman in 1967's "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner," in which he starred opposite   Katharine Hepburn   and Spencer Tracy.

That same year, he portrayed his most successful character, Philadelphia detective Virgil Tibbs in the Southern crime drama "In the Heat of the Night." It was a role he would reprise in two sequels. He played an inner-city teacher in "To Sir, with Love," his third film in 1967.

Born Feb. 20, 1927, in Miami while his Bahamian parents were visiting, Poitier spent most of his childhood in the Bahamas. As a teen, he was sent to live with one of his brothers in Miami, and at age 16, moved on his own to New York City. After working a series of menial jobs and a brief stint in the Army, he finally landed a spot at the American Negro Theatre in Harlem.

He made his film debut in 1950 in "No Way Out," playing a doctor treating a white bigot. His breakthrough role came in 1955 playing a student in an inner-city school in "Blackboard Jungle." He had earned his first Academy Award nomination for starring in the 1958 crime drama "The Defiant Ones" with Tony Curtis.

Other memorable roles included the musical "Porgy and Bess," the film adaptation of "A Raisin in the Sun" and "A Patch of Blue."

Starting in the 1970s, Poitier directed a number of films, including "Uptown Saturday Night" and "Let's Do It Again" with Bill Cosby. In 1980, he directed the hit comedy "Stir Crazy," starring Richard Pryor and   Gene Wilder .

After retiring from acting in 1997, he served as the non-resident Bahamian ambassador to Japan until 2007.

In 2002, 38 years after receiving his best actor Oscar, Poitier was given an honorary Academy Award for his "remarkable accomplishments as an artist and as a human being." In 2009, President Obama awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the United States' highest civilian honor.

Poitier is survived by six daughters, four of whom he had with first wife Juanita Hardy. He is also survived by his current wife Joanna Shimkus, the mother of two of his daughters, including actress Sydney Tamiia Poitier.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    2 years ago

If this keeps up, my perpetual state of sadness will remain in a perpetual state of sadness.

Professor Guide
2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    2 years ago

Oh, and at some point in the near future, I'll be watching To Sir With Love, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2    2 years ago

Those are two of my favorites. Just watched "To Sir, with Love" a couple of weeks ago. If you haven't already seen them, watch "Blackboard Jungle", "A Patch of Blue", and "In the Heat of the Night". They're excellent, too!

Rest peacefully, Sidney Poitier.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    2 years ago

Heaven has a new power couple....Sidney Poitier and Betty White.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    2 years ago

I like that

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

Rest in peace, Mr. Poitier.  You were a remarkable man.

shona1
PhD Quiet
6  shona1    2 years ago

Morning...

What a sad way to start the day..

Another light has gone out and our world has become a little bit darker once again...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    2 years ago

It is difficult to pick a fav film of his, but mine is A Patch Of Blue.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  JohnRussell    2 years ago

The most iconic black actor of all time. And a civil rights icon. 

I do wish though that he would have been able to show a more fun side of his personality from time to time. He was presented as this endlessly noble figure and it typecast him. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.1  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @8    2 years ago

he elevated black actors in hollywood from caricatures to serious actors prior to and during a turbulent time in american race relations. he broke the hollywood color barrier with his 1st academy award.

RU4Real
Freshman Silent
8.2  RU4Real  replied to  JohnRussell @8    2 years ago

Please watch Uptown Saturday Night, Let's Do It Again and perhaps A Piece of the Action, his three-film directing deal with American International (AI).  Though the first two are comedies, and the third having more serous undertones, the movies show his comedic side with being buffoonery and stereotypical.  Even the guest appearances aren't overly done.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     2 years ago

Sidney and Tony Curtis in ''The Defiant Ones'' was a very good movie. Of course, the others listed in the were all first class.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @9    2 years ago

Almost every actor has had a stinker of a film, but he never did....not one.

Professor Guide
9.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.1    2 years ago
Almost every actor has had a stinker of a film, but he never did....not one.

I never thought of it, but it doesn't surprise me one bit.

CB
Professor Principal
11  CB    2 years ago

Thank you, Mr. Poitier. You can ascend your steps to our pantheon of highly favored and decent souls. You rescued a people and gave us more to hope for in seeing your portrayals "in black" than we ever thought possible at the time. A man among men. A black among Blacks. A friend among friends. Well done good and faithful one!

Professor Guide
11.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  CB @11    2 years ago
A man among men. A black among Blacks. A friend among friends. Well done good and faithful one!

!!!!!!!!!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
12  MrFrost    2 years ago

And now, sadly, we can add Bob Saget to the list.

CB
Professor Principal
12.1  CB  replied to  MrFrost @12    2 years ago

They do die in threes in Hollywood, eh?  Betty White; Sidney Poitier; Bob Saget.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
12.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  CB @12.1    2 years ago

Dobie Gillis (Dwayne Hickman) died today at 87.  My childhood is disappearing.

Professor Guide
12.1.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Gsquared @12.1.1    2 years ago

Oh, no!  I hadn't heard about Dwayne Hickman.  I'm so bummed.

Professor Guide
12.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  MrFrost @12    2 years ago
And now, sadly, we can add Bob Saget to the list.

I know!  Bob Saget was a complete shock.  Sidney Poitier, as lovely as he was, and as wonderful as his memory will always be due to his films and the way he lived his life, was 94.  Bob Saget was 65.  That's whippersnapper young.

CB
Professor Principal
12.2.1  CB  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @12.2    2 years ago

Yes, though it is superstition, I imagine in Hollywood when the first new death happens. . .all get nervous as if walking on eggshells wandering after the next two (to come).

Gsquared
Professor Principal
12.2.2  Gsquared  replied to  CB @12.2.1    2 years ago

Betty White died in 2021, so Dobie makes it 3 for 2022.

CB
Professor Principal
12.2.3  CB  replied to  Gsquared @12.2.2    2 years ago

They die in "threes" is not based on crossing the new year. It depends on Hollywood. Dobie may start a new count. . . oh-oh. . . Hollywood is on notice again, GS'. Scary business of being a Hollywood 'type.'

Gsquared
Professor Principal
12.2.4  Gsquared  replied to  CB @12.2.3    2 years ago

It's pretty scary, CB.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
13  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

RIP, Mr. Poitier. Thank you for your work. The pleasure is all mine

Professor Guide
13.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @13    2 years ago
RIP, Mr. Poitier. Thank you for your work. The pleasure is all mine

I like that.