╌>

Russia Vetoes U.N. Resolution to End Ukraine Invasion - NBC Bay Area

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tacos  •  2 years ago  •  13 comments

By:   NBC Bay Area

Russia Vetoes U.N. Resolution to End Ukraine Invasion - NBC Bay Area
Russia on Friday vetoed a U.N. Security Council resolution telling Moscow to stop attacking Ukraine and withdraw all troops immediately. The veto was expected,...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Russia on Friday vetoed a U.N. Security Council resolution telling Moscow to stop attacking Ukraine and withdraw all troops immediately.

The veto was expected, but the United States and its supporters argued that the effort would highlight Moscow's international isolation.

The 11-1 vote — with China, India and the United Arab Emirates abstaining — showed significant but not total opposition to Russia's invasion of its smaller, militarily weaker neighbor.

The resolution's failure paves the way for backers to call for a swift vote on a similar measure in the 193-member U.N. General Assembly, where there are no vetoes. There was no immediate timetable for a potential Assembly vote.

Spearheaded by the U.S. and Albania, the Security Council resolution would have deplored Russia's "aggression" against Ukraine. It called for Moscow immediately to pull out its military and stop using force against Ukraine, and to reverse a decision to recognize two separatist areas in eastern Ukraine as independent.

Unlike Security Council resolutions, General Assembly resolutions aren't legally binding, but they can function as statements of world opinion. In an Assembly meeting Wednesday as Moscow's invasion loomed, dozens of countries condemned Russia or expressed solidarity with Ukraine. Russia and ally Syria defended Moscow's moves.

Download our local news and weather app for iOSorAndroid and choose the alerts you want.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Tacos!    2 years ago

It kinda blows my mind that Russia is even part of a vote about them. They should be recused. What other body functions in such a stupid manner?

China, India and the United Arab Emirates abstaining

Cowards.

The resolution's failure paves the way for backers to call for a swift vote on a similar measure in the 193-member U.N. General Assembly, where there are no vetoes.

At least they still have that, for what little it’s worth.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.1  Drakkonis  replied to  Tacos! @1    2 years ago
It kinda blows my mind that Russia is even part of a vote about them. They should be recused. What other body functions in such a stupid manner?

Kinda shows why almost no one takes the UN as a serious organization. If I were prez I wouldn't allow a single tax payer dollar to go to the UN.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @1    2 years ago

Since when is an entity or person who doesn't agree with a majority a coward?   Isn't that the way Democracy works?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

My understanding is that Russia can be removed from the Security Council by way of a General Assembly vote.  Maybe they should think about getting on that.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1  Gsquared  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2    2 years ago

I believe that can only be done by the General Assembly on recommendation by the Security Council.  With the Russians having a veto in the Security Council, that's not going to happen.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Gsquared @2.1    2 years ago

Lovely.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.1    2 years ago

I know.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.3  seeder  Tacos!  replied to  Gsquared @2.1    2 years ago

That makes totally good sense. /s “You can always kick me out if I give you permission.” The UN is so stupid.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    2 years ago

Criminals ignore the laws. The UN should ignore the laws too and send in the "peace keeping" forces

starting with truckloads of Javelins to the Ukraine and committing blue flagged Abrams to penetrate Belarus, Ukraine

and Kalinsgrad.

That's the only way to deal with Putin. punch him in the nose.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4  Ed-NavDoc    2 years ago

Well duh. Did anybody really expect Russia to do otherwise? Seems Russia is banking on their shock and awe tactics giving them free reign for as long as they think they can get away with it. Putin only respects force. When the West finally pushes back enough, Putin will dig in to keep his gains then sue for some kind of settlement.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

In other news, water is wet and Antarctica is cold.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    2 years ago

Myself having spent 6 months out of the year for four years at McMurdo Station, Antarctica, I can confirm that Antarctica is in fact cold!

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @5.1    2 years ago
Myself having spent 6 months out of the year for four years at McMurdo Station, Antarctica, I can confirm that Antarctica is in fact cold!

LMAO, and I can confirm after spending 24 months in SE Asia that is hot and humid.