╌>

Sarah Palin Announces She's Running for Congress in Alaska - The New York Times

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  pat-wilson  •  2 years ago  •  76 comments

By:   Jazmine Ulloa and Jeremy W. Peters (nytimes)

Sarah Palin Announces She's Running for Congress in Alaska - The New York Times
Ms. Palin released a statement on Friday that she was entering the race to replace Representative Don Young, who died last month.

She couldn't even finish her term as governor.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Ms. Palin released a statement on Friday that she was entering the race to replace Representative Don Young, who died last month.

Sarah Palin in New York in February.Credit...Brendan Mcdermid/Reuters

By Jazmine Ulloa and Jeremy W. Peters

April 1, 2022Updated 8:38 p.m. ET

Sarah Palin, a former Alaska governor and the Republican nominee for vice president in 2008, said Friday that she was entering the race for Alaska's lone congressional seat, marking her return to national politics after she helped revive the anti-establishment rhetoric that has come to define the Republican Party.

She will be joining a crowded field of nearly 40 candidates to fill the House seat left vacant by Representative Don Young, whose unexpected death last month has spurred one of the largest political shifts in the state in 50 years.

Ms. Palin said she planned to honor Mr. Young's legacy, painting a dystopian picture of the nation in crisis, criticizing the "radical left," high gas prices, inflation and illegal immigration.

"America is at a tipping point," she said in the statement. "As I've watched the far left destroy the country, I knew I had to step up and join the fight."

In the past, Ms. Palin had suggested, but never followed through on, launching various campaigns for elected office several times in the years since she first electrified the base of the Republican Party after 2008 presidential nominee John McCain plucked her from obscurity and named her as his running mate.

But after a long hiatus from political life, Ms. Palin had hinted in recent weeks that she was more serious than she had been in the past about running for office again. In a recent appearance on Fox News with Sean Hannity, Ms. Palin said, "There is a time and a season for everything."

And she invoked former President Donald J. Trump as an inspiration. The two had shared a stage in 2016 when she endorsed him for president. "We need people like Donald Trump, who has nothing to lose. Like me," she said.

On the conservative cable network Newsmax, she did not rule out the possibility of running for Young's seat last week, saying that she would consider it an honor. "If I were asked to serve in the House and take his place, I would be humbled and honored," Ms. Palin told the network. "In a heartbeat, I would."

Her decision to enter the race came as she has received national attention for suing The New York Times for libel.

Ms. Palin claimed that The Times defamed her when it published a 2017 editorial erroneously linking her political rhetoric to a mass shooting.A jury threw out the suit, a day after the federal judge in the case indicated he would dismiss the claims if the jury ruled in her favor because her legal team had failed to meet the high legal standards for public figures who claim defamation. The Times, which acknowledged and corrected the error in question soon after it was published, has not lost a libel case in an American courtroom in at least 50 years.

Mr. Young, 88, who was the longest-serving Republican in Congress and who was first elected in 1973, died on March 18. The scramble among potential candidates to fill his unexpired term started almost immediately. Friday was the deadline to file official paperwork, and the Alaska Division of Elections had received submissions from 37 candidates by Friday afternoon.

Ms. Palin will face a host of both far-right and establishment Republican rivals, including Nick Begich III, the Republican scion of Alaskan political royalty; State Senator Joshua Revak, an Iraq war veteran who previously worked for Mr. Young; and Tara Sweeney, who served in the Trump administration as assistant secretary of the interior for Indian affairs.

"She certainly has a constituency," Art Hackney, a consultant on Mr. Revak's campaign, said of Ms. Palin, adding that "whoever wants to file" will have to "bring it on" to defeat Mr. Revak.

Ms. Palin will also have some formidable challengers from the progressive left, including Al Gross, a former orthopedic surgeon who ran unsuccessfully for Senate in 2020, and Christopher Constant, an openly gay Democrat who is a member of the Anchorage Assembly.

Ms. Palin, who became one of only three women ever on a major party's presidential ticket, has since tended to stay out of the national glare. But she roused concern in New York in January when she dined outdoors days after testing positive for the coronavirus.

She had passed several times before on running for higher office, including in 2012, when several of the activists who would help Mr. Trump get elected tried to convince her to run against former President Barack Obama.

Lately, she has been back on Fox News, which once employed her as a contributor for $1 million a year, laying the groundwork for her campaign.

Continue reading the main story

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1  seeder  pat wilson    2 years ago

Where's Cornhusker ?!?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  pat wilson @1    2 years ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago

[removed]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.2  bbl-1  replied to  pat wilson @1    2 years ago

[removed]  is still here.  I refer to CH4P on occasion with him, [removed]

devangelical
Professor Principal
2  devangelical    2 years ago

the tundra trollop must be running out of money and needs a bunch of suckers to fluff her losing campaign account.

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.1  shona1  replied to  devangelical @2    2 years ago

Arvo Devan... tundra trollop..🤣🤣 I was just eating my Vegemite roll and read your comment..I just about choked laughing...

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  shona1 @2.1    2 years ago

Chase it down with Windsor Canadian.  Works for me.

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.1.2  shona1  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.1    2 years ago

Nahhh a Bundy and coke is the go here... fixes everything...

Bundaberg rum is made up in Queensland good stuff...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  shona1 @2.1    2 years ago

Spent a lot of time in Australia and New Zealand and never could get used to Vegemite. Definitely a acquired taste I guess.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  shona1 @2.1.2    2 years ago

Ever try Everclear (180 poof)?  It could grow hair on a Vegemite sandwich.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.4    2 years ago

Had a medical lab tech that worked for me down in Antarctica use Everclear 180 proof in her Bunsen burner. I think she may have cutting it with grape juice and partaking of it. She was kind of a wild individual!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @2    2 years ago

tundra trollop

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

I've called her the Wasilla Whore

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2    2 years ago

she's added the NHL, NYC, and czar-a-lardo to her client list.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 years ago

Just what congress needs another dumb ass.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    2 years ago

I had almost forgotten about Sarah Boo Boo Palin...

shona1
PhD Quiet
5  shona1    2 years ago

Oh geez not again...even we know about her...

The equivalent here is Pauline Hanson lives in Queensland..never a damn croc around when you need one...🐊🐊

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  shona1 @5    2 years ago

Pretty bad when even the "salties" know better!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6  TᵢG    2 years ago

The good ones will not run.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @6    2 years ago

No.  Now is the time.  Fruitcake may last for a bit, but it is not immortal.  Besides, GOP cocaine/sex parties have an even shorter shelf life.  

If GOP nutbagism takes control of the country the lyric, "What am I defending," in a T. Swift song become omni prescient.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    2 years ago

Strange.  The Sarah PAC is still running as far as I know.  Russian money drying up perhaps?

Palin is a low bar trailer trash grifter who obviously needs the money.  Did she divorce her 'professional snow machine racer' husband yet?  As far as her 'kids, Trig, Trapp, Trog and the girl, how are they doing?  Does anyone know?  Anyone care?  Remember when Palin first splashed onto the scene how the right wing gushed over her------legs?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  bbl-1 @7    2 years ago

Yup poor white trash.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
8  Gsquared    2 years ago

Can she see Kyiv from her front porch?

I hope this means we get a lot more Tina Fey.

shona1
PhD Quiet
8.1  shona1  replied to  Gsquared @8    2 years ago

Yep no worries once the smoke has cleared...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.2  Texan1211  replied to  Gsquared @8    2 years ago

hope not, far too many idiots never could tell Tina Fey from Sarah, and SNL from news!

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.1  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @8.2    2 years ago
and SNL from news

More liberals get their news from "Weekend Update" than any other source.

And believe every single bit of it.

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.2  JBB  replied to  bugsy @8.2.1    2 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.3  bugsy  replied to  JBB @8.2.2    2 years ago

[Deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.4  JBB  replied to  bugsy @8.2.3    2 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.5  bugsy  replied to  JBB @8.2.4    2 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.6  bugsy  replied to  JBB @8.2.4    2 years ago

[Deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.7  JBB  replied to  bugsy @8.2.5    2 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.8  bugsy  replied to  JBB @8.2.7    2 years ago

[Deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.9  JBB  replied to  bugsy @8.2.8    2 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.10  bugsy  replied to  JBB @8.2.9    2 years ago

[Deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.11  JBB  replied to  bugsy @8.2.10    2 years ago

Speaking of Dumb and Dumber Circa 2022...

original

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.2.12  arkpdx  replied to  JBB @8.2.11    2 years ago

Speaking of dumber and dumbest

Not sure which is which. It is a close race between them

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.2.13  bugsy  replied to  JBB @8.2.11    2 years ago

[Deleted]

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.14  JBB  replied to  bugsy @8.2.13    2 years ago

Butt, I am not sad...

original

JBB
Professor Principal
8.2.15  JBB  replied to  arkpdx @8.2.12    2 years ago

It's really not close...original

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

I was really amused to see the quotation of her statement: "We need people like Donald Trump, who has nothing to lose. Like me,"

As Bob Dylan wrote in his song Like a Rolling Stone: "When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose"

And they "ain't got nothing". 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Now that kamela Harris came along and made her look like a Rhodes scholar, I guess she figures why not.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11  Thrawn 31    2 years ago

Just when you think she had finally fucked off for good…

Tacos!
Professor Guide
12  Tacos!    2 years ago

I’d have a hard time voting for someone who had previously resigned from an elected position (unless it was to accept a higher office). It’s pretty foundational for me that you have to want to do the job - at minimum.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Sarah Palin may look like statesman when compared with the nutjobs that are the face of the GOP now. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
13.1  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @13    2 years ago

She is much more intelligent and her speeches are more coherent than the current VP. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  arkpdx @13.1    2 years ago

That might be the case, but being just a bit better than crappy is not a good quality.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
13.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  TᵢG @13.1.1    2 years ago

She is not just a bit better, she is head and shoulders better. In fact she is even better than the dolt in the White House. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  arkpdx @13.1.2    2 years ago

I recommend that you continue with that.   Throw your entire soul into promoting Sarah Palin.   That will do wonders for your credibility. 

But, hey, if you are able to offer a cogent argument that persuades people to give Palin a consideration rather than simply laugh at the absurdity of dredging old failures who have turned themselves into clowns, you will have sharpened your debate skills.

In the meantime though, let me offer a word of advice  ... expect this reaction:

laughed.jpg

( One more bit of advice:  when someone graciously gives you an inch, don't go for the mile. )

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
13.1.4  arkpdx  replied to  TᵢG @13.1.3    2 years ago

I didn't promote her. All I said is the she is better than the current president and vice president. Considering who they are that is not a very high bar to get over. In any case she is running for office in Alaska and I sincerely doubt anyone up there cares what I think of her. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  arkpdx @13.1.4    2 years ago
I didn't promote her.

And you start off by missing the point entirely while equivocating.   Not a stellar beginning.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

I believe she was the reason John McCain wasn't elected POTUS.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
14.1  TᵢG  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14    2 years ago

She did not help.   McCain lost, IMO, because he was running as an R during a period in time when the GOP (and its sitting PotUS) was blamed for a depression based on large-scale financial irresponsibility that was mostly in the private sector.

In short, no R was going to win in 2008.    (Also, Obama was perceived as a savior and fearful people go with saviors.)

On top of that, McCain was seen as old, cliché and out-dated whereas Obama was fresh, young, intelligent and historical.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @14.1    2 years ago

I could have voted for McCain.  But the thought of Sarah Palin a heartbeat away from the Presidency was...daunting.

And TBH, the idea that the GOP felt they had to throw women a bone, and chose that particular bone was insulting.

I think Palin started the downward slide of the GOP into anti-intellectualism.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
14.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14.1.1    2 years ago
But the thought of Sarah Palin a heartbeat away from the Presidency was...daunting.

I feel the same way about Harris.

I think Palin started the downward slide of the GOP into anti-intellectualism.  

I think she quickly turned into a public clown.   I was surprised by certain GOP/conservative family members telling me that they disliked Palin.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @14.1    2 years ago

When I watched Obama speak at the 1994 DNC I said to my wife that HE would make a great POTUS.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
14.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  TᵢG @14.1.2    2 years ago

Yeah, Harris's word salads are nearly Trumpian.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
14.1.5  arkpdx  replied to  TᵢG @14.1.2    2 years ago
    I feel the same way about Harris.

If you are thinking Harris is and empty pants suit, we finally agree on something. Miracles do happen. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
14.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  arkpdx @14.1.5    2 years ago
If you are thinking Harris is and empty pants suit, we finally agree on something. Miracles do happen. 

I do not consider Harris qualified for the office she holds.   Frankly, I think she is too immature and her performance thus far suggests insufficient competence.   

She is an intelligent woman who has had her share of career successes, but she should not be in line for the presidency. 

Do you think Palin is qualified to be V.P.?    

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
14.1.7  arkpdx  replied to  TᵢG @14.1.6    2 years ago

She is not running for VP but I think she is more qualified than Harris. Not a very hard thing to do. Beside Palin did not get into politics by sleeping with a prominent republican. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
14.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  arkpdx @14.1.7    2 years ago

You dodged the question.   Stand up and take a position.

Next you return to a completely stupid partisan talking point that is an insult for any woman.   It implies that a woman who has sex with a prominent individual who can / did open doors has ipso facto prostituted herself.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14.1.9  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @14.1.6    2 years ago
I do not consider Harris qualified for the office she holds.

After Trump there is no such thing as being unqualified. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
14.1.10  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @14.1.9    2 years ago

I presume you are just being cynical.    That is:   if Trump was qualified then everyone is qualified.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
14.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  sandy-2021492 @14.1.1    2 years ago

"I think Palin started the downward slide of the GOP into anti-intellectualism."

I do believe you're correct and oh what a slide that has been.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
14.1.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14.1.3    2 years ago

2004 DNC you mean?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.1.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @14.1.12    2 years ago

Yeah, I guess you're right.  It was the DNC four years before the one just preceding his election - got my dates confused. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
15  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

She will be joining a crowded field of nearly 40 candidates to fill the House seat left vacant by Representative Don Young

That was on April 1, but currently there are 51 candidates.  At this rate there will be hundreds by Election Day.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
15.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @15    2 years ago

The question is will the people of Alaska vote for a former governor that quit well before her term was up ?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
15.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  pat wilson @15.1    2 years ago

With so many reasons to not vote for SP, how do you even rank them?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @15.1.1    2 years ago

In order of ridiculousness?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
15.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  pat wilson @15.1    2 years ago

Obama didn't finish his term either.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @15.1.3    2 years ago
Obama didn't finish his term either.

Yeah, but he was a black, male Democrat, so that is totally different!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
15.1.5  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Greg Jones @15.1.3    2 years ago

Obama was Presidential material, Palin is tabloid material.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
15.1.6  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Greg Jones @15.1.3    2 years ago

He quit to become POTUS. She quit because she was spending to much on lawyers to fight ethic charges.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
15.1.7  arkpdx  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @15.1.5    2 years ago

[deleted]

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
16  arkpdx    2 years ago

[Deleted]