╌>

Bill Maher blasts "anti-democracy" Republicans

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  161 comments

Bill Maher blasts "anti-democracy" Republicans
The logic goes like this: We all know America should be made great again. And one side won and it made great again, it said so right on their hats. So logically, the other side wanted America to stay bad, and there’s no way Jesus, who loves America, would let that happen.

from transcript of Maher's Friday night show

....But now many Republicans have decided that democracy is what’s wrong with America. A lot of people drive themselves crazy, asking Republicans for evidence that Biden somehow stole the election. But that’s a fool’s errand. In the circular logic of today’s right, the evidence that the election was stolen is that they lost.

The logic goes like this: We all know America should be made great again. And one side won and it made great again, it said so right on their hats. So logically, the other side wanted America to stay bad, and there’s no way Jesus, who loves America, would let that happen.

Same thing with voter fraud, which has been studied a million times, all with the same result, it’s negligible and doesn’t affect elections again missing the point. The evidence of voter fraud is that sometimes Democrats win. This is madness.

Democrats and Republicans have always certainly had their differences; taxes and guns, abortion, wearing cowboy boots with a suit. But neither ever really doubted that our system of accepting electoral loss was what made America different from so many countries who could never get that right. It was, as much as anything, what made America great despite the fact that in a democracy? Yes, the people who win sometimes get things wrong. Maybe that’s why Churchill called democracy the worst system of government, except for all the others.

The left today is getting a lot of things wrong. Police departments gutted, kids taught crazy shit, unpopular thought being scrubbed, trying to reframe America as irredeemably racist. I get the panic!

But solutions short of junking democracy can and must handle this. What do tough guys and true patriots do in times of panic? They don’t panic.

But conservatives now sound creepily like the generals in some country when they finally experimented with democracy for the first time and, well, they didn’t like it so much. I’m afraid we let the voters decide and they fucked up. Next month, the Conservative Political Action Conference CPAC is holding their convention in Hungary, Hungary. What’s the matter with Kansas? Well, apparently it’s not authoritarian enough because the new platform from the right is making the world safe from democracy.

Bill Maher Hits Democrats But GOP Junking Democracy is Worse (mediaite.com)

I appreciate a lot of what Bill Maher does, the main thing bringing intelligence to bear on the massive problems and issues of the day. Unfortunately in the past few years he has become more and more a "both sideser" not able to criticize the anti-democratic right without also at the same time attacking the Democrats. 

Both sidesism will never get us out of the current crisis. Bothsidesism enables far right crazies who are reinforced in their belief that "wokeism" is the country's greatest problem. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago
The evidence of voter fraud is that sometimes Democrats win. This is madness.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

I never cared for Bill Maher.  I'm sick of the both sidesers too.  Stop being a spineless asshole.    

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    2 years ago

"This is madness."

No, it''s reality. Maher is not afraid to call out the lefties when they are wrong or stupid

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Greg Jones @2    2 years ago

Bill has been bashing the wokesters for quite a while now.  He is a liberal living in the real world.  It seems the liberals only quote him when he agrees with them and bashes him as a traitor when he does not.  It shows you that today's far left wackadoodles have not trouble eating their own.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1    2 years ago

Why is the right wing political group CPAC having their convention in Hungary?  Arent they an American group? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 years ago

Maybe they like Hungarian Goulash.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.2    2 years ago

I dont think you have to travel to Hungary to get Hungarian goulash. It is a way for CPAC to show they approve of authoritarian political regimes though. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    2 years ago

Native dishes are almost always very superior.    I give you Taco Bell as proof.

No mas Taco Bell ......

Keep tilting at windmills John.    Meanwhile the ship you traveled on to get your horse there, is sinking.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.5  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.1    2 years ago

That is a heck of a left hand turn you took there. Advanced deflection.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.6  Right Down the Center  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.4    2 years ago

Had the best goulash ever in Budapest.  Twice! I guess by John's standards I amnot American. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.7  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.6    2 years ago

You funny. I did not bring up the silly excuse about goulash. But when you cant discuss the reason for an American conservative group holding its convention in an authoritarian "Christian right" European country, you resort to whatever irrelevancy you can land on. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.8  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.7    2 years ago

Or maybe I choose to ignore a comment that has nothing to do with Bill Maher or the post. You are trolling your own post, something you complain about when others do it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.9  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.8    2 years ago
"nothing to do with Bil Maher or the post"

Let me quote BILL MAHER from the seeded article

Next month, the Conservative Political Action Conference CPAC is holding their convention in Hungary, Hungary. What’s the matter with Kansas? Well, apparently it’s not authoritarian enough because the new platform from the right is making the world safe from democracy.

Now what you were saying again? 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.10  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.9    2 years ago

I don't care where anyone goes. If I could get a free trip to almost anywhere I would take it. If it is that important to you maybe you should ask them instead of making up your own reasons.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.10    2 years ago

You know someone has to make an issue out of nothing.

Some folks insist on being "poutraged" about SOMEthing or other!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.11    2 years ago

Some folks insist on being "poutraged" about SOMEthing or other!

Publicly expressing outrage about something or other is a modern pastime, kinda like binge-watching a streaming series.  

We've turned outrage from a negative experience into a positive one.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.7    2 years ago
I did not bring up the silly excuse about goulash.

I’m silly? 

You’re silly!

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1.14  Hallux  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1    2 years ago
He is a liberal living in the real world. 

When did California become a member of the real world?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.15  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.11    2 years ago
You know someone has to make an issue out of nothing.

Years ago I used to tell a friend of mine that she only seemed happy when she found something to be miserable about.  Little did I know so many people would embrace that philosophy in the future.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.16  Right Down the Center  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.12    2 years ago
Publicly expressing outrage about something or other is a modern pastime

Pretty sad that people have to publicly show outrage to virtue signal how woke they are and how that somehow translates into moral superiority.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.1.17  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.12    2 years ago

“Publicly expressing outrage about something or other is a modern pastime…”

So says a daily contributor…just like anyone, everyone here. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.1.18  afrayedknot  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.16    2 years ago

“Pretty sad that people have to publicly show outrage…”

…ditto…

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.19  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @2.1.17    2 years ago
So says a daily contributor…

I'm sorry that you've confused my bemusement and amusement for outrage.  

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.1.20  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.3    2 years ago
It is a way for CPAC to show they approve of authoritarian political regimes though. 

Really? Hungary, since the breakup of the Soviet, has had a parliamentary style elected government...

Where's the authoritarian regime John?

They are also a member of both the EU and NATO, you cannot be a member of either and have an authoritarian government..

Those little wiggly little facts getting away from you again there John? {chuckle}

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.20    2 years ago

Don't be too hard on him, after all, someone probably told him this was a real issue and he should be offended by it!

Can you even imagine being upset over something so freaking TRIVIAL?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.1.22  Nowhere Man  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.21    2 years ago

It's another leftist lunatic theory, how much more trivial can it be? Get upset over? trying not t laugh myself to death...

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.23  Right Down the Center  replied to  Hallux @2.1.14    2 years ago
When did California become a member of the real world?

How about outskirts of the real world trying to get their membership revoked?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.9    2 years ago

Probably that Maher is a jackass.

What is wrong with Hungary now, JR?

From Wikipedia:

The removal of Hungary's border fence with Austria accelerated the collapse of the Eastern Bloc, and subsequently the Soviet Union . [23] On 23 October 1989, Hungary again became a democratic parliamentary republic . [24] Hungary joined the European Union in 2004 and has been part of the Schengen Area since 2007. [25] Hungary is a middle power in international affairs, owing mostly to its cultural and economic influence. [26] It is considered a developed country with a high-income economy and ranks 40th in the Human Development Index , with citizens enjoying universal health care and free-tuition secondary education . [27] [28] Hungary has a long history of significant contributions to arts , music , literature , sports , science and technology . [29] [30] [31] [32] It is the thirteenth-most popular tourist destination in Europe, drawing 15.8 million international tourists in 2017. [33] It is a member of numerous international organisations, including the EU , the Council of Europe , NATO , United Nations , WHO , WTO , World Bank , IIB , the AIIB , and the Visegrád Group . [34]

I would just love to hear your spin on how Hungary is an authoritative state after you have been proven wrong.

Unless you think a  democratic parliamentary republic is authoratiative. .

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.25  Right Down the Center  replied to  afrayedknot @2.1.18    2 years ago
…ditto…

To quote another poster, "I'm sorry that you've confused my bemusement and amusement for outrage." 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.26  Right Down the Center  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.22    2 years ago
It's another leftist lunatic theory, how much more trivial can it be? Get upset over?

Not only that but then they get upset if something so trivial does not get you upset.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.27  Kavika   replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.20    2 years ago
They are also a member of both the EU and NATO, you cannot be a member of either and have an authoritarian government..

There is no provision in NATO to expel a country. If a country became authoritarian as a member it cannot be expelled. They, of course, can quit. 

This is a concern with both the EU and NATO in the direction Hungry (Orban) is heading. There are numerous articles available on this situation in Hungry.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.28  Right Down the Center  replied to  Kavika @2.1.27    2 years ago
There is no provision in NATO to expel a country.

IMO that is NATO's biggest problem that makes them a pretty weak organization.  It might be time to restructure NATO without the 5 country veto power or the lifetime membership.  If it can't be restructured maybe it should be disbanded and most of the countries invited to join a new and better NATO 2.0.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.29  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.24    2 years ago

You are always in over your head. It is a consistent theme on this site. 

The 2020 Rule of Law Index of the World Justice Project ranked Hungary last out of twenty-four selected countries of the European Union, the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), and North America. The country is no longer a constitutional democracy able to ensure a peaceful rotation of power.

gjia.georgetown.edu   /2021/04/11/hungarys-transformation-and-the-complicity-of-the-eu/

Hungary’s Transformation and the Complicity of the EU - Georgetown Journal of International Affairs

Author: Gábor Halmai 10-12 minutes   4/11/2021

Hungary has received international attention in the last decade for being the first Member State of the European Union (EU) and the forerunner of democratic transition in East-Central Europe to turn into an authoritarian regime.

Both Freedom House and the Varieties of Democracy Project have tracked Hungary as it has passed from a ‘consolidated’ liberal democracy in 2010 into the status of a ‘hybrid regime’ ( Nations in Transit 2020 ) or an ‘electoral autocracy’ ( Democracy Report 2020 ).  The 2020 Rule of Law Index of the World Justice Project  ranked Hungary last out of twenty-four selected countries of the European Union, the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), and North America.

The country is no longer a constitutional democracy able to ensure a peaceful rotation of power. Why was the EU, whose foundation is the values of democracy and the rule of law, unable to intercept the process for one of its own members? Hungary’s transition into an authoritarian state was first and foremost facilitated by willing autocrats and fragile domestic democratic institutions, including the disproportional election system and easy amendment rule of the constitution. But the EU has also failed to force its member state to comply with its original admission criteria. This calls for a strong democratic opposition in the country, but also for self-reflection from the EU that, despite being built on the values of democracy and the rule of law, was unable to intercept the rise of authoritarianism in Hungary.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.30  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.20    2 years ago
Since he won his supermajority in 2018,

Orban has “transformed the country into a political greenhouse for an odd kind of soft autocracy, combining crony capitalism and far-right rhetoric with a single-party political culture.” Where once Hungary was praised by watchdog groups as a leading post-Soviet democracy, lies now a country in sharp and worrisome democratic decline.

Threatening the European Union based on its values, the common rule of law all member states need to abide, as well as the goal of maintaining a liberal democratic union with common aspirations.

Over the last decade, “the EU dithered as Hungary descended from liberal democracy to electoral autocracy under Prime Minister Viktor Orban.”The European Union’s ineffective response to Orban’s deterioration of judicial independence and liberal democracy has convinced other right-leaning European countries, such as Poland, that they could get away with the same thing. Posing a clear signal to the European leadership, that something must be done, before Hungary starts pulling down other countries with it. Orban argues that “Europe’s postwar liberal consensus is now at an end”, winning over Poland’s leadership to follow down the autocratic road. Praising leaders like Putin and Erdogan, and being the first Western leader to endorse President Trump in 2016,he has gone considerably against the European leadership consensus. This should not stand without punishment of Hungarian leadership on behalf of the European Union.

Hungary’s Road to Authoritarianism – Through the Demise of a Liberal Democracy and Free Judiciary – Denver Journal of International Law & Policy (djilp.org)

Why is an American conservative political organization having its convention in such a place as Hungary? The only conclusion can be that they hope America can be persuaded to emulate Hungary. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.1.31  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.30    2 years ago
The only conclusion can be that they hope America can be persuaded to emulate Hungary. 

John, a laugh a minute... Keep them coming John... Tell me, where is this phantasy land your living in? It's one heck of a lot farther away than OZ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.32  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.31    2 years ago

Stop with the meager and silly attempts at condescension, they always backfire on you.  Why is CPAC meeting in Hungary? Its a simple question. Is Hungary the garden spot of the world? jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.33  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.30    2 years ago
Why is an American conservative political organization having its convention in such a place as Hungary?

Budapest, the Pearl of the Danube, is more fun than revisiting Dallas, DC, Orlando, etc.?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.34  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.32    2 years ago
Why is CPAC meeting in Hungary?

Why do YOU care? You don't even like them, so why any concern at all where they hold a meeting?

Micro-focusing on minutiae seems to be what Democrats are good at. Proving everyone is good at something.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.35  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.34    2 years ago

The fact that the far right faction of the Republican Party chooses to go across the world and hold their convention in a dubious location in order to announce solidarity with the Orban regime is hardly "trivial". 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.36  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.35    2 years ago

Only a few handfuls of freaked out liberals give a damn where CPAC meets. To the rest of the world, other things command our attention.

Things like inflation, war in Ukraine, despicable border policies. Things that ACTUALLY affect and MATTER to sane folks.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.37  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.36    2 years ago

We know you dont understand these things but you dont have to brag about it. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.38  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.37    2 years ago
We know

You got a mouse in your pocket?

Understand people going into histrionics over nothing?

Of course I understand it--I have seen so many examples right here over the years!

This is just yet once more when a few people get all riled up and then expect EVERYONE to get riled up with them

No thank you!

I will leave you with your silly little histrionics!

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.39  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.34    2 years ago
Why do YOU care?

An outrage a day keeps the virtue signal card up to date?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.1.40  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.32    2 years ago
Why is CPAC meeting in Hungary?

WHO GIVES A SHIT OTHER THAN YOU? If it was such a big deal why isn't liberal mainstream media thrashing and knashing their teeth over it? They aren't !!!

Cause it's a huge nothing burger John!!!  So tell me WHO gives a flying f**k except for you?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.41  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.32    2 years ago
Is Hungary the garden spot of the world?

Did Budapest, Vienna, Slovakia and Prague tour.  Would definitely recommend over LA, Chicago, Detroit, San Francisco tour.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.42  Texan1211  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.40    2 years ago
WHO GIVES A SHIT OTHER THAN YOU?

Oh, I am sure there are other woke liberals joining him in his silly endeavor.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.43  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.35    2 years ago
The fact that the far right faction of the Republican Party chooses to go across the world and hold their convention in a dubious location in order to announce solidarity with the Orban regime is hardly "trivial".

Actually it is trivial.  Exactly how does the location of a meeting directly impact your life?  I mean other than give you another reason to get upset and whine about it.  Does it affect it more than if they had the meeting in Florida?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.44  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.37    2 years ago
We know you dont understand these things but you dont have to brag about it. 

Of all the things going on in the country where do you think where the meeting is held matters to the average American?  Maybe 200,124 on the list of importance?  Somehow only a handful of people would find this newsworthy and they are all conspiracy nuts.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.45  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.39    2 years ago
An outrage a day keeps the virtue signal card up to date?

So easy to pretend it matters when serious issues like war, inflation and immigration are being badly managed by the current Administration.

I mean, why would any self-respecting Democrat want to talk about THOSE issues when something SOOOOOOOO interesting is in the news?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.46  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.44    2 years ago

Funny that the maga crowd doesn't care about this.

Make America first! We will discuss how to make America first in Hungary......

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.47  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.30    2 years ago
The only conclusion can be that they hope America can be persuaded to emulate Hungary. 

That might be YOUR only conclusion but it is not THE only conclusion.  A free trip or vacation with all the goulash you can eat actually makes more logical sense than your conclusion.  How on Earth having a meeting in Hungary persuades Americans to emulate Hungary is beyond any logic, even liberal twisted logic.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.48  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.41    2 years ago
Would definitely recommend over LA, Chicago, Detroit, San Francisco tour.

Make America great again!

Except them damn Liberal cities. Fuck them....

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.49  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @2.1.46    2 years ago
Funny that the maga crowd doesn't care about this.

Exactly how many Americans ( including Republicans, Independents and Democrats) even know about it much less care about it?  

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.50  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @2.1.48    2 years ago

They are fucking themselves just fine

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.51  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.41    2 years ago

Makes me hungry (get it) for some goulash, fisherman soup or if it’s warm outside, some refreshing sour cherry soup and a glass of Szalon Sor.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.52  Right Down the Center  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.51    2 years ago
Makes me hungry (get it) for some goulash, fisherman soup or if it’s war outside, some refreshing sour cherry soup and a glass of Szalon Sor
Got it (groan)  It was a very informative trip.  I learned The Czech Republic has the highest consumption of beer per capita than anywhere else in the world.  We did our part while we were there.  I would try to talk the Republicans of Connecticut to have their next meeting there but I would not want to upset any liberals.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.53  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.49    2 years ago

I didn't know about. Sounds to me like something the republicans relish....

Go ahead maga crowd. Spend millions in another country while claiming inflation and other things are destroying the country.

You know, instead of spending all that money here in the States.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.54  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @2.1.53    2 years ago

[Please do not respond to users whom you know have you on ignore.]

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.55  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @2.1.53    2 years ago
I didn't know about. Sounds to me like something the republicans relish....

Go ahead maga crowd. Spend millions in another country while claiming inflation and other things are destroying the country.

You know, instead of spending all that money here in the States.

Wow, talk about grasping at straws to try and make it seem this is somehow important.    Maybe we should lock the borders to make sure no one goes on vacation overseas and spends money in another country.  If we outlawed overseas flights that would help with the carbon footprint also.  A twofer.  Of course our climate czar might not be too happy if we outlaw private jets. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.56  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.55    2 years ago

Talk about grasping at straws. If it is no big deal to you, no need to get all upset about it then?

Its your party, I just laugh from the sidelines at the hypocrisy of it all.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.57  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.1.40    2 years ago
So tell me WHO gives a flying f**k except for you?

Bill Maher made a point of it on his national television show Friday night. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.58  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @2.1.56    2 years ago
If it is no big deal to you, no need to get all upset about it then?

I am far from being upset.  I just find it hilarious as to what some people want to get upset about.  Since you seem to be building a case as to why I should be upset by this it would seem you are the one that must be upset by it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.59  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Ender @2.1.56    2 years ago

Its interesting to watch these people make these really lame comments. It must suck to not be able to make a coherent argument. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.60  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.57    2 years ago
Bill Maher made a point of it on his national television show Friday night. 

Bill Maher is a comedian.  If you consider him an expert on politics I suggest you see some of his rants about woke culture destroying the democrat party(including 2 above).

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.61  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.59    2 years ago
It must suck to not be able to make a coherent argument. 

I don't know, does it?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.62  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.58    2 years ago

I am not the one here with twenty comments excusing what they are doing.

Two questions,

One, do you think it is ok and should be a norm that political leaders and donors have their conferences and meetings in another country?

Should all politicians from both sides of the isle start having all their meetings halfway around the world?

Two, of all the countries to pick from, you know, Australia, Italy, South Africa, they pick the one country that has been accused of being A putin ally and a hard right extremist that was trying to make their court system a joke, why there?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.63  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.59    2 years ago

Their argument seems to be that they don't care....

Sounds about right.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.64  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.59    2 years ago

newrepublic.com   /article/166154/2022-cpac-conference-budapest-hungary-orban

Why Is CPAC Having a Conference Next Month in Budapest?

Craig Unger 15-19 minutes   4/20/2022

Come May 18, the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), for nearly 50 years the largest and most influential gathering of conservatives in the world, will  assemble in Budapest , with Hungarian Prime Minister  Viktor Orbán  as its keynote speaker. 

That means leading American conservatives who are supposedly deeply committed to the ideals of personal liberty, limited government, free markets, human dignity, and the like will be joining forces behind one of  the most authoritarian  and antisemitic heads of state in the world.

The speakers reportedly will include Orbán, who won his fourth term as prime minister on April 3; Eduardo Bolsonaro, the son of Brazil’s president; and Santiago Abascal, leader of Spain’s far-right Vox party.

In recent months, Marjorie Taylor Greene , Alex Jones, and Tucker Carlson, have all made highly visible appearances on the Orbán bandwagon, with Carlson repeatedly   extolling the virtues   of the Hungarian strongman to millions of viewers on Fox News.

The hard-right’s growing affinity for Orbán’s Hungary should come as no surprise to anyone who has followed how the Republicans   became Putin’s Party   and how they have responded to the ongoing Russian atrocities in Ukraine. Think of Hungary in terms of Russia’s trajectory in recent years, during which Putin ushered in an era of global theft on an unimaginable scale, putting together a mafia state in which his handpicked oligarchs had monopolistic control of Russia’s strategic resources—an authoritarian kleptocracy in which billions in dark money were stashed in anonymous shell companies. As has been   widely reported , Ukrainian-born billionaire Leonard “Len” Blavatnik, a naturalized American citizen, has contributed millions to leading GOP candidates, including Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, Marco Rubio, and Lindsey Graham. Similarly, as I reported in  House of Trump ,   House of Putin , and   American Kompromat , Russian oligarchs have paid countless millions to huge white-shoe American law firms representing their banks and energy companies and have plowed millions of dollars into supporting right-wing, populist movements elsewhere in the West.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.65  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.64    2 years ago

www.salon.com   /2022/04/21/jordan-klepper-hungary-for-democracy-salon-talks/

Jordan Klepper sees the future of GOP: "Conservatives look to Hungary as a conservative wonderland"

Dean Obeidallah 21-27 minutes   4/21/2022

Jordan Klepper , correspondent on   "The Daily Show,"   has made a name for himself going to Trump rallies in recent years and cleverly getting Trump supporters to share   their unintentionally comedic — and even alarming views . Now Klepper is traveling to the ghost of autocracy's future as he heads to Hungary in his new TV special for Comedy Central's "The Daily Show." In "Jordan Klepper Fingers the Globe: Hungary for Democracy," premiering Thursday, April 21 at 11:30 ET/PT on Comedy Central, he explores the alarming connection between the increasingly autocratic government there and our own budding autocratic movement known as the GOP. In fact, America's Conservative Political Action Committee (CPAC) is holding a conference in Hungary this May. 

As we discussed   on our "Salon Talks" episode , which you can watch below, Klepper first became aware of this unholy love affair between America's right and Hungary's autocrats when he covered the most recent   CPAC convention in Orlando   for "The Daily Show." That event surprisingly featured Hungarian politicians who served up all the typical GOP red meat including saying, "Let's Go Brandon," which is code for "F**k Joe Biden." As Klepper explained, "It turns out conservatives look to Hungary as a conservative wonderland." 

Why? Simply, Hungary's right wing   prime minister Viktor Orban   is passionately anti-immigrant, has demonized Muslims, passed vile anti-LGBTQ laws, controls the media, rigged elections, banned topics in school he doesn't approve of and has made George Soros his number one enemy. Sound familiar?    

Klepper warned of "Americans' lack of imagination as to what can happen to our own democracy." He aptly noted that the backsliding of democracy happens slowly. "It's the frog that's boiling in a pot of water." That is what happened in Hungary and appears the trajectory the GOP wants to take the United States. 

Klepper also shared his view on why people like Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin   fear comedy at their expense . "Sometimes you just need the clearest way of calling BS, and a joke is often the fastest way to that."

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.66  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.52    2 years ago

For some reason, Ender has mistakenly decided that spending more money here would help US inflation. I said that earlier in 2.1.54 but sandy deleted it because Ender claimed to have put me on Ignore.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.67  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.32    2 years ago

"Is Hungary the garden spot of the world"

It's the wonderful food, and the beautiful women

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.68  bugsy  replied to  Ender @2.1.48    2 years ago

Nooooowwwwww you're getting it.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.69  bugsy  replied to  Ender @2.1.62    2 years ago
I am not the one here with twenty comments excusing what they are doing.

No, but you are the one with a few posts whining about it.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.70  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.67    2 years ago

And amazing architecture, a wonderful mix of old and new.  Agree with your assessment of the woman and food. The first time that I lived in Europe, I had a local friend that was from Budapest and we were both young and bachelors.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.71  Right Down the Center  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.66    2 years ago

Yea. Just grasping at straws. It is not easy making something out of nothing.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.72  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.71    2 years ago

It seems that some here from the far left are very US-centric with no world view.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.73  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @2.1.62    2 years ago

That is actually three questions.

If they want to.

If they want to.

Why not there? Budapest is lovely, maybe they got a good deal. Why do you care so much? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.74  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.70    2 years ago

I dont doubt Hungary is a nice place with an interesting history, architecture, food, etc. , but its not why CPAC is going there to hold a conference. Arent you embarrassed to be making such a lame argument? 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.75  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.73    2 years ago

Would you care if the Dems held a conference in Venezuela?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.76  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.74    2 years ago

Why do you care so much? Your faux outrage is absurd

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.77  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @2.1.75    2 years ago

No

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.78  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.65    2 years ago
U.S. conservative conference with Hungary’s hardline leader reflects Republican divide | Reuters

Many U.S. conservatives have come to envy Orban’s use of government power to impose a conservative cultural agenda, said Kim Lane Scheppele, a Princeton University professor of sociology and international affairs who studies Hungarian politics. "Hungary has become, for the Trumpist Republicans, what Sweden used to be for the social democrats – it's proof of concept," Scheppele said.

Orban touts what he calls "illiberal democracy" and depicts himself as a Christian defender of European heritage. He uses anti-immigration policies to repel Muslim migrants and rejects liberal European positions on social issues, such as adoption by gay couples.

Rod Dreher, a columnist at The American Conservative, sees Orban’s Hungary as a model for post-Trump conservatism. Dreher, whose latest book, “Live Not By Lies,” was translated into Hungarian, took a selfie with Orban on a recent visit to Budapest and tweeted it with the message, "Hey haters!"

“Orban, unlike so many of our own conservative politicians, understands that we are in a battle to defend our civilization – and he fights like it,” Dreher said, adding that CPAC Hungary will show American conservatives "what nationalist, populist conservative governance can be .”

FUNDING FROM ORBAN’S OFFICE

Miklos Szantho heads the Center for Fundamental Rights, the Orban-backed think tank hosting the conference. In an interview with Reuters, Szantho ticked off shared interests of conservatives internationally: “our Judeo-Christian heritage, national identity, state sovereignty, the family, the created nature of Man and Woman.”

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.79  Right Down the Center  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.76    2 years ago

It seems that if everyone does not share in the outrage it increases the amount of outrage. Pretty sure that is what causes ulcers. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.80  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.79    2 years ago

Your banal comments on this topic are not interesting. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.81  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.77    2 years ago

I would.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.82  arkpdx  replied to  Ender @2.1.48    2 years ago
Except them damn Liberal cities. Fuck them 

The damned liberal cities have already "F'd' themselves. Going almost anywhere would be better and safer even if they went to Lyiv, Kyiv, Odessa or Mariupol. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.83  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.74    2 years ago
its not why CPAC is going there to hold a conference.

And I supposed you know why they went there. Care to share where you got your information from. Please use an unbiased source

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.84  Ender  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.82    2 years ago

Sad that you don't like America and consider a war torn country a better alternative.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.85  author  JohnRussell  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.83    2 years ago

Im not going to think for you. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.86  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.80    2 years ago

Feel free to skim right over them if you feel that way. Since I am getting some responses it seems not everyone shares your viewpoint.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.87  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @2.1.81    2 years ago

You are welcome to get upset over anything you wish. I will never try to convince you otherwise.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.88  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.85    2 years ago

[Deleted]

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.89  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.80    2 years ago
Your banal comments on this topic are not interesting.  

And you think yours are?

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.90  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.87    2 years ago

Say you don't care all you want. We all know that if the Dems did this, you all would be complaining that the left loves socialism, etc, because they were holding it in Venezuela, Complaining to no end about how dare they do that.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.91  Kavika   replied to  Ender @2.1.90    2 years ago

Seems that Orban and Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil will be speakers, how cool is that. /s

The EU isn't happy with Orban/Hungry. Perhaps they can get a loan from CPAC.

The European Union recently froze 7.2 billion euros ($7.9 billion) in subsidies to Hungary and has threatened to halt billions more unless it institutes reforms such as strengthening judicial independence.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.92  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @2.1.90    2 years ago

I would not. Life is way to short to worry about something that means nothing to me.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.93  arkpdx  replied to  Ender @2.1.84    2 years ago

I didn't say a war torn country was better than America. I said that those way torn cities in that war torn country is a better choice than San Francisco, Chicago, Detroit or LA all unsafe democrat controlled cities with rising crime rates and only minimal,if any, solutions. Portland, Oregon and Seattle are both fast rushing to join that group. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.1.94  afrayedknot  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.93    2 years ago

“I said that those way [sic] torn cities in that war torn country is a better choice than San Francisco, Chicago, Detroit or LA…”

Good gawd, man. You are lost in your incredulity. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.95  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @2.1.94    2 years ago

Exactly, the ability to walk around in the city of Budapest is way overrated.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.96  arkpdx  replied to  Ender @2.1.84    2 years ago
Sad that you don't like America 

That's funny coming from someone who most likely voted for some who wanted to fundamentally change the country and supports a political party that does not what to make the country great wants it to be like the average mediocre countries of the world. A party that has a border policy that will only make this just another third world country. A party that thinks it cool to allow children to change their gender,. A group that thinks killing innocent unborn babies but cries when a scumbag murder is put to death. 

You are wrong. I love this country. I think it is the best in the world. It it you and your kind that di not like America. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.1.97  afrayedknot  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.96    2 years ago

“ I love this country”

from post 2.1.93:

“I said that those way [sic] torn cities in that war torn country is a better choice than San Francisco, Chicago, Detroit or LA…”

…he said selectively…

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.98  Ender  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.96    2 years ago

So America is only great if it upholds your ideals...

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
2.1.99  afrayedknot  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.95    2 years ago

“…the ability to walk around in the city of Budapest is way overrated.”

The willingness to equate Budapest to NY, SF, LA or any American city you choose is way overstated.

But your point is made…simple as it is. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.100  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @2.1.99    2 years ago

The first time that I live in Europe was for four years 77-81.  I went back to live for another 5 years with my new wife in 89-94,  Neither time did I ever worry about strolling through the cities at any hour of the night. It was a nice feeling.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.101  author  JohnRussell  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.96    2 years ago
does not want to make the country great

make america great again. where have we heard that before? 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.102  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.101    2 years ago

make america great again. where have we heard that before? 

Build Back Better

Restore The Soul of The Nation (soul?)

Forward Together

Forward [march of history]

Yes We Can

Hope

A Stronger America

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.103  arkpdx  replied to  Ender @2.1.98    2 years ago

If by my ideals you mean not killing the innocent babies because they are just inconvenient?  Yes!

If you mean by not mutalating children because of some sort of unscientific fantasy disorder? Yes?

If you mean punishing those guilty of heinous murders by executing them? Yes!

If you mean that I believe that we should keep invaders from crossing out borders illegally! Yes!

If you mean not teaching small children that it is ok if you think you are not really the gender you were born? Yes

If you mean that men should not be able too marry men or women should be able to marry women? Yes!

If you mean I think America should be energy independent then yes 

If you mean that I think we need to defend freedom around the world then yes I do. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.104  Right Down the Center  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.101    2 years ago

Why do you have a problem with America being great?

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.105  Ender  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.103    2 years ago

Your ideals do not align with everyone else. You do not get to choose how other people live.

See how freedom works?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.106  arkpdx  replied to  Ender @2.1.105    2 years ago
Your ideals do not align with everyone else. You do not get to choose how other people live.

Neither do yours ,whatever those might be, yet you are trying to impose them on everyone. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.107  arkpdx  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.104    2 years ago

Good question don't expect an answer. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.108  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @2.1.53    2 years ago

[deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.109  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.59    2 years ago
It must suck to not be able to make a coherent argument. 

True, I regularly feel sorry for you in that regard.    So so emotional, so angry, so partisan ..... it’s hard not to feel sorry for you.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.110  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @2.1.98    2 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.111  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.66    2 years ago

You just can't stand to be ignored can you?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.112  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.109    2 years ago
I regularly feel sorry for you

I feel sorry for the people who read your comments. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.113  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.112    2 years ago

Okay, I’ll stop twisting your arm.    
You can stop reading them now.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1.114  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.111    2 years ago

Do you think that spending more money here would help US inflation?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.115  arkpdx  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.57    2 years ago

And who gives a flying fig about what Bill Maher thinks. He is nobody but a tv person.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    2 years ago

One person, one vote.

Anyone who has a problem with a requirement to prove voter bona fides, before allowing anyone to vote, is part of the problem.

Simply asking for a valid ID, is not voter suppression.    

Never has been, never will be.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Sparty On @3    2 years ago

What about the people that don't have a kinkos near them?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1    2 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @3    2 years ago
Anyone who has a problem with a requirement to prove voter bona fides, before allowing anyone to vote, is part of the problem.

Simply asking for a valid ID, is not voter suppression.    

Never has been, never will be.

And that is the truth.

Despite the histrionics from the left.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2    2 years ago

Perhaps my ID doesn’t agree with my self identification today.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.1    2 years ago

Perhaps one of the members of the left is working on an ID that is gender fluid?

LMAO!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.1    2 years ago

Sounds like a personal problem to me ..... jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.2.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.2    2 years ago

an ID that is gender fluid?

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    2 years ago

Wouldn't be surprised if Maher isn't soon revered as much as Walter Cronkite once was, especially by those on the left.

Wel, at least he is as entertaining as their usual "news" sources, CNN and MSNBC, The NYTimes and Washington Post!

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
4.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Texan1211 @4    2 years ago

It is funny that Bill is a old school liberal that the far left loons have no use for.  It is also funny that Bill used to be seen as pretty far left liberal and now he is seen almost as a centrist liberal.  As he says, he has not changed but the party has.  He also said something like "It is not that I don't understand what the far left is saying, it is that what they are saying is stupid". 

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    2 years ago

As you can see John, They don't care what the republicans do.

Everything is always someone else's fault.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @5    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @5.1    2 years ago

So you could care less about America first I see.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @5.1.1    2 years ago

You see what you want to see.  That does not mean it is based in reality though.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @5.1.2    2 years ago

Is it not the republicans that claim make America first?

I guess politicians and big donors didn't get the memo.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @5.1.1    2 years ago

[Ender has you on ignore.  Please refrain from responding to him.]

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.1.5  Right Down the Center  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.4    2 years ago

[deleted]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.6  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ender @5.1.1    2 years ago

Holding CPAC not even in the US is as unamerican as it gets.  Can you imagine what the same people would say if Democrats did this?  Maybe it’s just easier and safer to plan a coup from abroad.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.6    2 years ago
Holding CPAC not even in the US is as unamerican as it gets.

Exactly, imagine leaving the center of the universe.  

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.4    2 years ago

Where in this app can I learn who has me on ignore?  Can you send me a list, sandy?

Ender told you personally that you were on ignore.

Also, you responded to his comment and were ticketed at the time, so you are aware of this - sandy

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Right Down the Center @5.1.2    2 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.10  bugsy  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.8    2 years ago

There should be a link under your screen name that shows who has you on ignore so you don't respond to them.

There are a couple on the left that claim you are on ignore, then respond to your posts. When questioned, they say they wanted to see what you posted so they took you off ignore.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  bugsy @5.1.10    2 years ago

I agree.  I'm trying to find the rule in the CoC about replying to a comment when the commenter has you on Ignore. Can you help it?  

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.12  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.11    2 years ago

Why not just try not deserving to be ignored?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.13  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.6    2 years ago

The comments from our right wingers here on the subject of CPAC and Hungary are high level absurdity. The RWNJ are going to Hungary to enjoy the food or the women or the scenery. Sure. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @5.1.12    2 years ago

I don't try to be Ignored but I'm not responsible for how others feel or if they only want to read limited viewpoints.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.1.15  Right Down the Center  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.6    2 years ago

If democrats did this I would say I don't care. If they were going someplace good and expenses were payed I might ask to tag along. If they were going to Budapest I would become a democrat for a month if I could go with them for free.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.16  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.14    2 years ago

Go tell that to a tourist. You already admitted you get you jollies trolling liberals. You earned your spot on their team and you fit right in...

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.17  bugsy  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.14    2 years ago
I don't try to be Ignored but I'm not responsible for how others feel or if they only want to read limited viewpoints.

Ditto

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.18  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @5.1.16    2 years ago
You already admitted you get you jollies trolling liberals.

I’ve never said anything like that.  Everyone knows that you’ve to smart to be trolled, do you think that there are any stupid liberals here?

You earned your spot on their team and you fit right in...

I’m still new here, are there really teams?  Do you pick folks like we did in grade school on the playground?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.19  arkpdx  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.4    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.20  Sparty On  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.7    2 years ago

America is great .... but only when they say it is.

NATO is great ..... but only when they say it is.

Sovereignty is great ..... but only when they say it is

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.21  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @5.1.16    2 years ago

"Go tell that to a tourist. You already admitted you get you jollies trolling liberals. You earned your spot on their team and you fit right in..."

That seems to be the only reason certain posters post - to do exactly what you just said.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.18    2 years ago
You're not really new here, you were just kind of on hiatus for awhile.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.23  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.22    2 years ago
You're not really new here,

Guess it depends on how you define new.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    2 years ago

Perrie should clarify it. If someone has you on ignore, they should not see what you are posting. Or respond to it.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Greg Jones @6    2 years ago

Agree, that would be there penalty, missing out on DOTW thoughts, ;>)

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.2  bugsy  replied to  Greg Jones @6    2 years ago
Or respond to it.

Especially this.

I have a member on HD calling me an asshole because the person I spoke about supposedly read  and respond my to posts through notes, or whatever they are.

They want to ignore you, they should not be able to read what you post, but on the other hand, there should be someway where we can see who has us on ignore so we don't respond to them.

I don't have anyone on ignore.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  bugsy @6.2    2 years ago

I’ve not put anyone on as well, I don’t censor.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Greg Jones @6    2 years ago

I wonder if that is why I see them respond to themselves so often.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7  sandy-2021492    2 years ago

Thread @6 locked as meta.  Take it to Metafied, please, gentlemen.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
8  Revillug    2 years ago
I appreciate a lot of what Bill Maher does, the main thing bringing intelligence to bear on the massive problems and issues of the day. Unfortunately in the past few years he has become more and more a "both sideser" not able to criticize the anti-democratic right without also at the same time attacking the Democrats.  Both sidesism will never get us out of the current crisis. Bothsidesism enables far right crazies who are reinforced in their belief that "wokeism" is the country's greatest problem. 

The Democrats will never get out of this crisis if they can't figure out how to stop losing elections.