╌>

Indiana High School High Tech Security System

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  20 comments

By:   Customer st. Communications

Indiana High School High Tech Security System
Southwestern High School's sophisticated school security system may set the standards for future security systems around the country.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Posted 3 years ago

Schools around the country are more focused on security than ever before. With this new level of interest and more advanced technology, what does the ultimate in school security systems look like?

Southwestern High School in Shelbyville, Indiana has become the poster child for school security technology in recent years. The school underwent an overhaul in 2013 after it was picked as a testing site by the local sheriff's department. Packed with sophisticated access control technology, surveillance features, and emergency countermeasures, the high school might become a model for future security systems around the country.

A Quick Look Into Southwestern High School's Security Technology

Teachers and administrators each carry an access fob around their neck. This serves two purposes: access control around campus, and an emergency panic button to activate the nearly half a million dollar system. Once activated, the system alerts the local sheriff who can watch remotely in real time from a comprehensive surveillance system.

At the school, classroom doors automatically shut and lock. Teachers inside the rooms can look outside through a peephole system embedded into the bulletproof door, while a supposedly unbreachable deadbolt system keeps the occupants safe. Each classroom is also has a messaging system enabling teachers to signal if everyone is safe, if they need medical attention, or if the suspect is in close proximity.

Outside the classroom, the system can deploy smoke cannons as a countermeasure that supposedly lets the sheriff fight back against an active shooter. The sheriff can remotely control these to confuse and corral the assailant while help arrives.

The security system and its ancillary equipment were installed by NetTalon Security Systems, a Virginia-based security company who also funded the bulk of the project, the rest came from grants. There's a variety of programs around the country that offer grant money for school security, such as the $16 million school safety grant that Georgia recently passed.

Southwestern High School's school security system cost just over $400,000 — a price tag that has raised some eyebrows — but the town of Shelbyville hope they can at least use the testbed system as a means to show the nation whether such a system will be necessary.

If your metro Atlanta school is in the market for a new or upgraded security system, or you're just looking to explore security options, contact C1C today. Our team can install a variety of security technologies — regardless of the size of your school — to keep your students and faculty safe.

Article is LOCKED by moderator [Split Personality]
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

For those actually seeking a workable solution, here you go. 

Something that would be effective and save lives.

Leave politics out of the discussion.

Please, no banal memes.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2  Snuffy    2 years ago

Interesting read, thanks.  This is something that has been talked about for years but most people ignore it citing cost to "harden" all the schools in the country, not to mention making schools look like (OMG) prisons.  But doing actions to reduce the possibility of a school shooting, seems like a no brainer to me. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Snuffy @2    2 years ago

The price really is the downfall of it.  I imagine there are ways to bring that cost down.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1    2 years ago
The price really is the downfall of it.  I imagine there are ways to bring that cost down.

I know that in Texas, some school districts have no problem spending millions for new stadiums or bloated administrations.

I suspect it is the same everywhere.

Besides, school bonds could be issued.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1    2 years ago

Part of the high price is undoubtedly due to this being the first and in reality a proof of concept install.  Bulk purchasing could reduce the prices overall.  Just think how much of this could be covered if only Congress had put some management and controls over all the Covid relief money sent out.  (yeah Tex, I know you said no politics but I just couldn't help myself.  Much like some of the others who just can't ignore bringing a certain past president into any and all discussions.  hehe )

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1    2 years ago
I imagine there are ways to bring that cost down.

The mere volume of systems in demand would probably help do that. Rather than one system here another there months apart, the major common components could be produced in volume rather than onesy twosy expensive way.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.2    2 years ago

You get one pass on that.

I understand your sentiments exactly.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.2    2 years ago
Bulk purchasing could reduce the prices overall. 

That was my line of thought as well.  

Just think how much of this could be covered if only Congress had put some management and controls over all the Covid relief money sent out.

There is a lot that could be done from their level.  But we all know that won't happen.  

Sorry Tex, We'll get back on track.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    2 years ago

Same in Arizona. The large metropolitan areas like Tucson, Phoenix, and Flagstaff have the money for things like that but it does not filter down to the smaller rural communities such as where I live. Our security in schools is a armed police resource officer at each of the 7 schools in my town, That includes one high school, two junior high/middle schools and four elementary schools. Nowhere near compared to the big cities but at least it's something.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @2    2 years ago

I really do believe that most people would vote for a school bond to implement this solution.

And that taxpayers can force school boards to adopt this security or vote them off boards.

I feel that anyone who honestly wants to protect kids and teachers should be in favor of this NOW.

DO IT FOR THE KIDS--SOMETHING TO PROTECT THEM INSTEAD OF LIP SERVICE.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to    2 years ago
I keep wondering what happened to all those bazillions in government funded School Covid money that was supposed to "Upgrade" schools ....................... Went ! The way of the Bird ?

Who knows now?

Diversity training, perhaps?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.4  Snuffy  replied to    2 years ago

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
3  JaneDoe    2 years ago

That was a good read. Totally worth the cost to keep students safe. Do away with a few useless administrative positions and the cost could be almost covered.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JaneDoe @3    2 years ago

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    2 years ago

The one thing most schools can start doing right away at low cost....limit access by hardening and securing the doors

Hire  more SRO's. Let qualified and trained staff carry.  Investigate what the  Israeli's do.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1  Snuffy  replied to  Greg Jones @4    2 years ago
Investigate what the  Israeli's do.

Absolutely should be done.  Israeli schools are in a war zone and they've had six terrorist attacks on school property since 1974.  They have hardened schools and pushed the parameter out to provide depth.  There are some good ideas that could be used here.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5  Split Personality    2 years ago

Fascinating and relevant.  Please review the following and pick one as a source.

The advertising webpage for the contractor is not acceptable as a source.

southwestern high school indiana security systems - Search (bing.com)

Let me know and I will unlock as necessary.