╌>

New York Times: 'Many Democratic lawmakers' are concerned by Biden's leadership, feel U.S. is 'falling apart' | Fox News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  2 years ago  •  63 comments

By:   Gabriel Hays (Fox News)

New York Times: 'Many Democratic lawmakers' are concerned by Biden's leadership, feel U.S. is 'falling apart' | Fox News
The New York Times published a report Saturday on "nearly 50 Democratic officials" who increasingly doubt President Biden's ability to get re-elected.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A New York Times report revealed Saturday that many Democratic Party officials have little faith that President Biden can keep his party afloat amid mounting crises.

The piece also implied that the Jan. 6 Committee is Biden's last chance before the midterm elections to persuade swing voters who are more fixated on inflation.

According to reporters Reid Epstein and Jennifer Medina, "many Democratic lawmakers and party officials are venting their frustrations with President Biden's struggle to advance the bulk of his agenda, doubting his ability to rescue the party from a predicted midterm trouncing and increasingly viewing him as an anchor that should be cut loose in 2024."

Biden has been polling poorly, and there are reports that he and his White House staff are frustrated with the obstacles in front of him, including increasingly negative media coverage.

President Joe Biden and the Democratic Party face a daunting challenge to hold onto control of Congress in the fall. ((AP Photo/Susan Walsh))

The report cited "nearly 50 Democratic officials" and "disappointed voters" who are "alarmed about Republicans' rising strength and extraordinarily pessimistic about an immediate path forward" under the Biden administration.

There is "low enthusiasm" from Biden's base and worry from party officials about the president's "leadership, his age and his capability to take the fight to former President Donald J. Trump a second time," the Times wrote. It quoted Steve Simeonidis, a Democratic National Committee member from Florida, who said, "To say our country was on the right track would flagrantly depart from reality," and urged him to announce he wouldn't run again shortly after the midterms.

The piece also depicted the Jan. 6 Committee hearing as "perhaps the last, best chance before the midterms to break through with persuadable swing voters who have been more focused on inflation and gas prices."

Otherwise, all that Biden has - after "repeated failures of his administration to pass big-ticket legislation on signature Democratic issues" and "halting efforts to use the bully pulpit of the White House to move public opinion" - is "sagging approval ratings and a party that, as much as anything, seems to feel sorry for him."

Epstein and Medina acknowledged that Democrats have been "struggling to explain away a series of calamities for the party" including, "inflation rates unseen in four decades, surging gas prices, a lingering pandemic, a spate of mass shootings, a Supreme Court poised to end the federal right to an abortion."

Record inflation continues to bedevil the Biden White House. (istock)

The report alleged that "nearly all the Democrats interviewed" have a "deep concern about his political viability," and stated they're uncomfortable with his gaffes. "They have watched as Biden has repeatedly rattled global diplomats with unexpected remarks that were later walked back by his White House staff, and as he has sat for fewer interviews than any of his recent predecessors."

Obama chief strategist David Axelrod told the paper that "Biden doesn't get the credit he deserves" for some of his successes, including navigating the pandemic, uniting NATO against Russia, "and restoring decency and decorum to the White House." However, he admitted, "the president would be closer to 90 than 80 at the end of a second term, and that would be a major issue."

Polling shows Biden is at a low point with Democratic voters, with one Associated Press poll showing him at just 73 percent approval with them.

Epstein and Medina rounded out the report with quotes from various party members expressing doubt about Biden's future. Texas state representative Jasmine Crockett stated, "Democrats are like, 'What the hell is going on?' Our country is completely falling apart. And so I think we're lacking in the excitement."

Former DNC chair Howard Dean implied Biden hasn't achieved enough of what he has promised. "We need to have specific examples of how we're dealing with things; it can't just be pie-in-the-sky and kumbaya," he said.

The New York Times reported on Saturday that many Democratic Party leaders are not comfortable with the future of their party with President Biden in the lead.

The report concluded with a quote from DNC member Sheila Huggins, a lawyer from North Carolina: "Democrats need fresh, bold leadership for the 2024 presidential race. That can't be Biden."

Gabriel Hays is an associate editor at Fox News. Follow him on Twitter at @gabrieljhays.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    2 years ago

Maybe there is a glimmer of hope now that some Democrats are recognizing the Biden Administration disaster.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.1  Revillug  replied to  Texan1211 @1    2 years ago
Maybe there is a glimmer of hope now that some Democrats are recognizing the Biden Administration disaster.

And we want to replace Biden with Trump or any other Republican?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Revillug @1.1    2 years ago

Yes. 

Keeping the human fuck up machine in the White House; and Democrats in power Congress is a non starter. They can't even admit there is a problem in many cases; and if they do admit there is one, they spend all of their time assigning blame to everyone else rather than fixing it.

They can't get so lucky that their media lap dogs will help the American public ignore all of their fuck ups. Like US citizens still abandoned and trapped in Afghanistan (the media is ignoring it; and it has dropped from most in the US attention). Some problems like rampant inflation; high gas prices; surging crime rates; and a wide open southern border cannot be overlooked. They affect every US citizen. Sooner or later even the media has to cave and start asking Democrats the hard questions.

The only choice we have to replace Democrats is with Republicans. What a great political system we have!/S

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.1    2 years ago

You are far right. I think even you would admit that. The difference with you is that you think being far right is great. Everyone doesnt think that way. Biden is not solely responsible for inflation, supply chain issues, crime rates ( one could argue he isnt responsible at all for crime rates)(or gas prices).  

Everyone doesnt blame the president for every single problem like you do. In the meantime you want the trump cabal to get away with trying to steal the last election. Who cares if it was 18 months ago? So what?  That is a sliver of time in the nations history. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @1.1    2 years ago
And we want to replace Biden with Trump or any other Republican?

And some don't.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    2 years ago
Everyone doesnt blame the president for every single problem like you do.

Sorry, but the man in charge gets the credit or the blame, that is the way things work.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.4    2 years ago

True.   Now, do you see how that thinking is also irrational and faulty?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.6  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    2 years ago

Given the GOP cannot acknowledge the Trump disaster, I wonder if hard-core Ds can recognize any failings of Biden.   Partisan blinders is a true phenomenon.

Thing is, the GOP has sold its soul for a lying, narcissistic and miserable human being who does not give a shit about the nation and would throw it and anyone else (including his own daughter) under the bus if it benefits him personally.   The GOP partisans are doing far more damage to their party and the nation than the D partisans (presently).    Biden is not an effective PotUS (I personally never expected him to be) but for all of his faults there is no comparison between him and Trump in the areas of being presidential and putting the nation first.

To wit, the D party must deal with an ineffective PotUS but the R party has to deal with continuing to follow and support someone whose integrity and actions should preclude him from holding any public office, much less the presidency.   The R party has to deal with selling its soul to support a profoundly abysmal character as its leader (and face).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.6    2 years ago
To wit, the D party must deal with an ineffective PotUS but the R party has to deal with continuing to follow and support someone whose integrity and actions should preclude him from holding any public office, much less the presidency.   The R party has to deal with selling its soul to support a profoundly abysmal character as its leader (and face).

I am positive the GOP would be fascinated with your opinions.

Have you passed your concerns on to them yet?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.8  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.5    2 years ago
True

'Nuff said.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.9  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.8    2 years ago

I wrote:

TiG @1.1.5 ☞ True.   Now, do you see how that thinking is also irrational and faulty?

Not:

TiG @1.1.5 ☞ True.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.10  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.9    2 years ago
True.   Now, do you see how that thinking is also irrational and faulty?

You wrote true. Thank you for agreeing with me for once.

My statement stands.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
1.1.11  Nerm_L  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    2 years ago
You are far right. I think even you would admit that. The difference with you is that you think being far right is great. Everyone doesnt think that way. Biden is not solely responsible for inflation, supply chain issues, crime rates ( one could argue he isnt responsible at all for crime rates)(or gas prices).

Biden is not responsible for wild fires, floods, tornados, earthquakes, or hurricanes.  The expectation is that Biden would respond to disasters.  Responding to disasters really does require more than speeches and 'thoughts & prayers'.

The only disasters Biden is responsible for are the ones he has created.  And Biden has created a few.

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
1.1.12  goose is back  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    2 years ago
Biden is not solely responsible for inflation, supply chain issues, crime rates ( one could argue he isnt responsible at all for crime rates)(or gas prices).

When he caused many of them....yes.

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
1.1.13  goose is back  replied to  TᵢG @1.1.6    2 years ago
Thing is, the GOP has sold its soul for a lying, narcissistic and miserable human being who does not give a shit about the nation

Tell me where we were as a nation in Oct. 2019? Trump is an ass but he had the US in a great position prior to Covid. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.14  TᵢG  replied to  goose is back @1.1.13    2 years ago

Given what you now know, would you vote for Trump to return to the office of PotUS?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

He hides from reporters, and when he does actually let someone interview him  it by a sycophantic talk show host and he still can't help but embarrass himself. 

He's not fit to be President.  Even having the greatest life insurance policy  in history as VP doesn't justify leaving someone so befuddled and incoherent in office.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    2 years ago

He did have a nice game of softball catch with Mr Man show.

I watched it.    It was quaint.   

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    2 years ago

The rats will start heading en masse for the scuppers as the sinking of their ship accelerates.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    2 years ago

It would be best for the nation if the D party set its sights on a superior candidate.   It has been my hope (albeit with pessimism) that the D party will NOT seek to nominate Biden or Harris.   My hope for the GOP is that they get a clue and once and for all eliminate the Trump parasite and rally behind someone who is at least a halfway decent human being.

My dream candidate for PotUS would be an individual who genuinely seeks:

• Renewable energy / less energy consumption / recycling while carefully, sensibly migrating from fossil fuel
  • Seek to lead the world in both energy technology and the selling of energy
  • Contemporary effectiveness of interstate transit (including seriously looking at the feasibility of high-speed rail)
  • Control our borders:  preferably with technology rather than a wall
  • Inspire businesses to expand domestically and strive to get everyone with skills to be gainfully employed and reasonably compensated.
  • Pursue a sensible healthcare solution for the USA which involves federated standards (federal government establishing base standards enabling interstate exchange of information and technology with the states establishing finer tuned standards appropriate for their unique situations) and a competitive, private-market delivery system.   The objective, of course, is to sensibly and practically share resources across the nation in an effective manner and to smooth out healthcare so that people do get great care without absurd financial stress.
  • Encourage our ambitious, bright individuals to pursue and secure higher education and apply their skills / talent domestically.
  • Lead stronger international alliances focused on maintaining peace and fair trade.
  • Encourage research in critical diseases such as cancer, heart disease, brain disease, etc. making use of the dramatically increasing capabilities of machine learning and Big Data.
  • Return the dignity of the office and improve worldwide respect for the office and the USA itself.

How much of a disappointment should I expect from the actual nominees for 2024?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @4    2 years ago

Unfortunately I think we need to expect to be disappointed in 24.  Lets face it the best and brightest are not the ones who rise in the political world, it's the ones who are best connected.  I don't see anybody on the Dem side who would make a quality candidate IMO and I'm afraid that the Rep side will nominate Trump again.  While I'm not sure that Trump can win at the national level, a very large portion of the American voter will vote based on kitchen table issues, ie those issues that directly impact them such as inflation, gas prices, crime, etc.  If Biden does run for re-election in 24 or Harris gets the nod I have a very hard time seeing either of them as winning based on the past 18 months. 

Either way you look at this, it appears this far out that once again we will have to hold our nose when making a selection.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @4    2 years ago

The Dems are going to have to come up with a dignified and charismatic leader type of person...like a JFK or Reagan. Young, vigorous, brilliant, articulate, realistic, pragmatic, and  moderate. Someone who can measure up to DeSantis and Haley.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2    2 years ago

DeSantis is the farthest thing from a moderate and Nikki Haley is a shapeshifter. 

You better pray Trump doesnt run because he would squash both of them like bugs. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2.1    2 years ago

That's your opinion, but time will prove you wrong

Either one would beat whoever the Dems put up

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.2    2 years ago
Either one would beat whoever the Dems put up

How could you possibly know that without knowing the D candidates?   That is a purely partisan comment.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.4  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.3    2 years ago

Of course it is. It's called an opinion.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.4    2 years ago

Then we agree that you could not possibly know the Rs will beat the Ds and that your opinion is based on pure partisanship.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2.6  Ronin2  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.5    2 years ago

If we get the recession we are racing towards; then it isn't going to take an IQ super genius to predict Republicans will win mid terms; and then the White House in 2024.

Ask Republicans how being saddled with a recession that occurred towards the end of Bush Jr's second term affects the voting public. Bush Jr was wrongly blamed for the housing market crash. He tried to warn Congress; but they were in the back  pocket of Freddy and Fanny (both of which were cooking their books). Bush Jr didn't have the political, or media clout, after the Iraq disaster to sway the public.

People vote with their wallets. Obama couldn't have asked for a better scenario in winning his first term election.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2.6    2 years ago
If we get the recession we are racing towards; then it isn't going to take an IQ super genius to predict Republicans will win mid terms; and then the White House in 2024.

Clearly.   When the economy sucks the party in power typically loses power.    So IF that occurs, I agree.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
5  Revillug    2 years ago

The Democrats have two problems going in to 2024:

(1) the lack of a plan B

(2) no plan A

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

An independent view from afar - although he's been faced wtih the perfect storm that was not his making, along with an opposing party that has been blocking some positive things he's tried to present (not even to mention Manchin), I have to agree with the assessment here, and I, too, see no adequate Democrat replacement for 2024, and save for some unexpected miraculous gift from heaven I can also see a power change coming up in the midterms. 

Revillug
Freshman Participates
6.1  Revillug  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    2 years ago

The shame is, from my perspective, that Biden has actually been a good or even excellent president from a policy perspective.

What he has managed to do with a non-majority in the senate is impressive. The way he handled his left flank, by giving them time and space to at least try to pass their agenda was a brilliant move. These crises aren't of his making and he has handled most of them well Except inflation, but he is in an awful lot of company when it comes to underestimating its durability in the economy. Even now there is not a lot of agreement among economists as to how fast interest rates should be raised or whether that will even get at the root of the problem.

Which leaves us with ageism.

I am probably not the only one to notice that there is quite a bit of ageism coming from Millennials directed at Boomers these days.

He looks and sounds his age on TV but the content of his words is usually effectively communicating his agenda and priorities.

So half his problem in the polls is probably AOC and her generation having a pout because they obviously are all prodigies at running the world if only their parents would give them a go at the wheel.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7  Greg Jones    2 years ago

"The piece also depicted the Jan. 6 Committee hearing as "perhaps the last, best chance before the midterms to break through with persuadable swing voters who have been more focused on inflation and gas prices."

The focus on our real problems is not going away. People want to be entertained during prime time...not subjected to pathetic political posturing

squiggy
Junior Silent
8  squiggy    2 years ago

"...and urged him to announce he wouldn't run again shortly after the midterms."

Even that strategy won't help - fractured dems tearing each other's clothes off to face, yea him. I'm not thrilled either.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
9  Gazoo    2 years ago

They can run like the wind from him but those that supported his f’ed up policies cannot run from that

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Gazoo @9    2 years ago

True, and the GOP should tie every Democrat to Biden's inflation and his failure to secure our border.