By:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  15 comments

June 14 in Chicago

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

First 100 degree temperature here in 10 years. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

pfttt,

it was 104 or higher for 4 days in a row, it's still 96 outside and the landscape lights just came on...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    2 years ago

Chicago is not as hot as Texas. 100 degrees is fairly unusual here. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

8:00 PM here on the AZ/Mexico border and it's 89 degrees. Highs have been about 100 the last four days and will continue to be so for at least the next week or so.

GregTx
PhD Guide
1.2.1  GregTx  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    2 years ago

Yeah..but it's a dry heat Doc

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  GregTx @1.2.1    2 years ago

I was in Vegas one time when it was 106 degrees, and i thought it was hot as hell, dry heat or no. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    2 years ago

When I lived in Tubac we had a pool, this time of the year that damned pool

was just about felt frozen in the morning, tepid by sunset

and frigid again in the morning.

Veronica
Professor Guide
2  Veronica    2 years ago

Wow... It was only 80 in Western NY - Pool still too cold when I get home from work.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago
Marjorie Taylor Greene Suggests Global Warming 'Is Actually Healthy For Us' (newsweek.com)

Georgia Republican Representative   Marjorie Taylor Greene   claimed on Monday that global warming was healthy for people.

While speaking on the conservative Right Side Broadcasting Network (RSBN), alongside host Brian Glenn, Greene argued in favor of   global warming .

The video clip has also gone viral on   Twitter   and has been viewed   over 140,000 times   and was shared by commentator Ron Filipkowski.

Marge Greene presents her scientific argument why global warming is a good thing: “This earth warming and carbon is actually healthy for us.”   pic.twitter.com/fw5DMMeSJN

— Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦 (@RonFilipkowski)   June 13, 2022

"We have already warmed 1-degree Celsius and do you know what has happened since then?"   Greene   said to Glenn while on the show.

"We have had more food grown since then, which feeds people," she continued. "We are producing fossil fuels, that keeps people's houses warm in the winter. That saves people's lives, people die in the cold. This Earth warming and carbon is actually healthy for us. It helps us to feed people, it helps keep people alive, the Earth is more green than it was years and years ago and that is because of the Earth warming."

Despite Greene's claims, scientists across the world have argued about the dangerous impacts rising temperatures or climate change can have on food supplies across the planet.

Veronica
Professor Guide
3.1  Veronica  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago
the Earth is more green

She is an idiot.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    2 years ago

All is not lost.  Gasoline is over $5 a gallon.  Putin is still killing Ukranians.  Trump still stands.  Boebert has her guns.  And MTGreene is going to the gym with the guys.  America continues to roll.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @4    2 years ago
All is not lost.

Not yet, at least.

Gasoline is over $5 a gallon. 

Thanks, Joe. The national average retail price for a regular gallon of gas the week Biden was inaugurated, which ended Jan. 25, was $2.39, according to the Energy Information Administration.

America continues to roll.

there will always be Helsinki to sustain us, right?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2  Ronin2  replied to  bbl-1 @4    2 years ago
Putin is still killing Ukranians. 

Despite the 53 billion plus dollars Biden and Congress has shoveled Ukraine's way so far?

This is assuming that Biden hasn't funneled some more money Ukraine's way since early May using back channels. 

All that money; and it looks like Putin is starting to actually gain traction; now that he has 1 commander- and is concentrating on taking the most vital part of Ukraine- the southern ports leading to the Black Sea.

I am sure it will just take some more money and resources. Maybe giving Ukraine the heavy artillery they want? Putin won't get sick of the West's obvious interference. Especially if he really is in poor health, and mentally unstable as all of the so called "experts" are predicting./S

Recession is coming. The Fed is creating money out of thin air to cover US debt. Gas, food, material shortages abound; and inflation is skyrocketing. But we are going to make Russia pay! Who the hell does Biden think he is, Trump?!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2    2 years ago

Putin appreciates your support.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

It's only supposed to be 95 F here today, but one of the nicknames for Chongqing is that it is one of the Three Furnaces of China, so I'm not looking forward to next month.  Its most common nickname is The Mountain City because it's surrounded by mountains, and that makes me feel like I'm living at the bottom of a deep dish pie in a big oven.