╌>

UK's Johnson defiant even as opponents tell him time is up | AP News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 years ago  •  28 comments

By:    SYLVIA HUI and DANICA KIRKA

UK's Johnson defiant even as opponents tell him time is up | AP News
LONDON (AP) — British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has rejected clamors for his resignation from his Cabinet and across the Conservative Party, digging in his heels Thursday even as dozens of officials quit and previously loyal allies urged him to go after yet another scandal engulfed his leadership.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

LONDON (AP) — British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has rejected clamors for his resignation from his Cabinet and across the Conservative Party, digging in his heels Thursday even as dozens of officials quit and previously loyal allies urged him to go after yet another scandal engulfed his leadership.

A group of Johnson's most trusted Cabinet ministers visited him at his office in Downing Street Wednesday, telling him to stand down after losing the trust of his party. But Johnson instead opted to fight for his political career and fired one of the Cabinet officials, Michael Gove, British media reported.

It is rare for a prime minister to cling on to office in the face of this much pressure from his Cabinet colleagues. The Guardian's frontpage on Thursday called him "Desperate, deluded."

As of early Thursday, four Cabinet ministers had quit — the latest was Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis who told Johnson in his resignation letter that "we are ... past the point of no return. I cannot sacrifice my personal integrity to defend things as they stand now."

Some 40 junior government officials have also left amid a furor over Johnson's handling of sexual misconduct allegations against a senior official that was the latest in a long line of issues that have made Conservative lawmakers uncomfortable.

"He's breached the trust that was put in him. He needs to recognise that he no longer has the moral authority to lead. And for him, it's over," Scottish National Party leader Ian Blackford told The Associated Press.

Johnson cannot continue because his government has not even got ministers to attend to regular Parliament business after so many resigned, Blackford added.

Johnson's future remains extremely uncertain. So far, most Cabinet officials have remained in their positions but a mass walkout by the Cabinet could force his hand if that leaves him unable to run a functioning government.

If Johnson still refuses to resign, the Conservatives could oust him by potentially triggering a new no-confidence vote.

Johnson survived such a vote on Jun. 6 — though his authority took a beating because even then 41% of his lawmakers voted to get rid of him. Under current party rules, a year must pass before another formal leadership challenge can take place.

But an influential group of Conservative lawmakers known as the 1922 Committee has the power to rewrite the rules to allow a fresh confidence vote within a shorter timeframe. The committee could decide as early as Monday whether to do that.

Johnson, 58, is known for his knack for wiggling out of tight spots. He has remained in power despite allegations that he was too close to party donors, that he protected supporters from bullying and corruption allegations, and that he misled Parliament and was dishonest to the public about government office parties that broke pandemic lockdown rules.

But recent disclosures that Johnson knew about sexual misconduct allegations against Chris Pincher, a Conservative lawmaker, before he promoted the man to a senior position pushed the prime minister to the brink.

Last week, Pincher resigned as deputy chief whip after complaints he groped two men at a private club. That triggered a series of reports about past allegations leveled against Pincher — and shifting explanations from the government about what Johnson knew when he tapped him for a senior job enforcing party discipline.

Health Secretary Sajid Javid and Treasury chief Rishi Sunak resigned within minutes of each other Wednesday over the scandal. The two Cabinet heavyweights were responsible for tackling two of the biggest issues facing Britain — the cost-of-living crisis and COVID-19.

Javid captured the mood of many lawmakers when he said Johnson's actions threaten to undermine the integrity of the Conservative Party and the British government.

"At some point we have to conclude that enough is enough," he told fellow lawmakers Wednesday. "I believe that point is now."

The resignations of some 40 junior ministers and ministerial aides followed on Tuesday and Wednesday. A third Cabinet official, Welsh Secretary Simon Hart, quit late Wednesday, saying "we have passed the point" where it's possible to "turn the ship around," and Lewis left on Thursday morning.

Many of Johnson's fellow Conservatives were concerned that he no longer had the moral authority to govern at a time when difficult decisions are needed to address soaring food and energy prices, rising COVID-19 infections and the war in Ukraine. Others worry that he may now be a liability at the ballot box.

But Johnson brushed off the attacks, citing the mandate that voters gave him when he came to power in 2019.

"Frankly … the job of the prime minister in difficult circumstances, when he's been handed a colossal mandate, is to keep going," Johnson told detractors in Parliament Wednesday. "And that's what I'm going to do."

___

All contents © copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1  Greg Jones    2 years ago

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2  Just Jim NC TttH    2 years ago

And away he goes....................

evilone
Professor Guide
3  evilone    2 years ago

New reports this morning say he resigned. This really spiraled out of control for Johnson quickly. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  evilone @3    2 years ago

Nah, he still wants to hang around until the dysfunctional Tories pick a successor

which could take months.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @3.1    2 years ago

Saw a funny meme this morning. Larry, the resident cat of #10 Downing Street says he's the Prime Minister now

Hallux
PhD Principal
4  Hallux    2 years ago

Boris is neither the first nor will he be the last populist to be defeated by his or her hubris and the mendacity required to keep it alive. The political scows littering the seascape are full of them and alas before long the next wave will be upon the seekers of sanctimonious saviors chanting "one of us, one of us".

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

“As we have seen at Westminster, the herd instinct is powerful and when the herd moves, it moves,” he said. “And my friends in politics, no one is remotely indispensable and our brilliant Darwinian system will produce another leader, equally committed to taking this country forward through tough times.”

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1  JBB  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    2 years ago

The glaring fact is that rightwing populism as seen in Marie Le Pen, Boris Johnson and Donald Trump has run its course and is being rejected by voters!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1    2 years ago
The glaring fact is that rightwing populism as seen in Marie Le Pen, Boris Johnson and Donald Trump has run its course and is being rejected by voters!

So you truly believe that Democrats will retain the House and the Senate in the midterms?

Really?

Despite what history and polls tell you?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @5.1    2 years ago

We're sick of today's gqp/gop/alleged conservatives.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.1    2 years ago

If the GoP fails to prevail in the midterms then that suggests the party is seriously wounded.    A midterm election where the party in power is overseeing a poor economy and no grand successes to counter that is as close to a guarantee for the party out of power as one can get.   If the GoP fails in these circumstances, that is like giving up a 28 point lead in the 4th quarter of a football game.

I do not expect them to fail but I doubt it will be a blowout.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.3    2 years ago
I do not expect them to fail but I doubt it will be a blowout.

I expect the GOP will win the midterms, and that when it is all over, to have a larger majority than the Democrats managed to have while sweeping Biden into office.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.3    2 years ago
If the GoP fails in these circumstances, that is like giving up a 28 point lead in the 4th quarter of a football game.

that's an awesome analogy

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.6  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.1    2 years ago

How is Hershal Walker doing? What about Madison Cawthorn?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @5.1.6    2 years ago

A deadbeat dad and a freaking whackjob - the gqp aren't bringing us their best.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.6    2 years ago
How is Hershal Walker doing? What about Madison Cawthorn?

Ask them how they are doing.

I am not so silly as to think that two people make some sort of trend or will have THAT great of an effect on the elections.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.9  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.8    2 years ago

Yet, in Europe and America voters reject rightwing populism!

Marie La Pen, Boris Johnson and Trump have been defeated.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.9    2 years ago

Very good, you have listened to the news.

Have you listened when Democrats have admitted they are preparing for a beatdown?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.11  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @5.1.3    2 years ago

"I do not expect them to fail but I doubt it will be a blowout."

It's a shame that ignorance and hate might win.  So deplorable.  Hillary was right about EVERYTHING.  She was off by half though regarding the deplorables.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @5.1.9    2 years ago

Here is how your hero is doing in the world (in case you were interested in defending Clueless Joe)

Joe Biden's Approval Rating Plummets Internationally: Poll (msn.com)

Among more than a dozen publics in North America, Europe, the Middle East and the Asia-Pacific, median confidence in Biden was at 60 percent, according to a Pew Research Center report on June 22. Its analysis links the dip—down an average of 15 percentage points from 2021—to initial enthusiasm after Trump's presidency, as well as the Biden administration's handling of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan last summer. Some of the biggest declines were recorded in Italy (down 30 points), Greece (down 26 points) and Spain (down 25 points), while drops in excess of 15 points were also reported in Singapore (down 22 points), France (down 21 points) and the Netherlands (down 19 points), Pew's results found. Among countries where directly comparable data was available, only South Korea (up 3 points) recorded an increase in confidence in Biden.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.13  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @5.1.6    2 years ago

Herschel Walker Lied to His Own Campaign About His Secret Children

Ryan Bort
Thu, July 7, 2022 at 1:40 PM
It isn’t hard to figure out what drew Donald Trump to Herschel Walker. The Heisman Trophy winner, like the former president who endorsed him for Senate in Georgia, is a habitual liar.

It’s been revealed just in the past few months that Walker has lied about his academic record, that’s he has lied about his business record, and even that he has a secret son he doesn’t see. It was then revealed a few weeks ago that he has two more secret children. The Daily Beast reported on Thursday that Walker has been lying to his own campaign about all of these children.

More from Rolling Stone

The news of Walker’s first secret son may have been reported last month, but his campaign obtained documents proving he had a 10-year-old son late last year. The campaign didn’t tell him about the documentation they’d obtained when they asked him the rumors last December, according to The Daily Beast. Walker lied, saying the rumors were false, just as his campaign expected. He only admitted to the secret child after they presented him with the documentation. Once news of the child became public, his campaign asked him if there were any other children. He insisted there weren’t. The existence of the two other secret children was reported days later.

Walker’s attempts to hide the truth from his own campaign come in communications obtained by The Daily Beast, which also spoke to a campaign adviser who said Walker lies “like he’s breathing,” that he’s lied so “we don’t know what’s true,” and that aides have “zero” trust in anything he says. The communications obtained by The Daily Beast also reveal internal concern over whether Walker is mentally fit to hold office.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.14  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.12    2 years ago

The sections you did not quote are more telling than the sections you did.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @5.1.14    2 years ago
The sections you did not quote are more telling than the sections you did.

Feel free to look up and post whatever you think is relevant. I just don't see much point in quoting an entire article when I have posted a link to the article, but you go right ahead and do it if you want to!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @5.1    2 years ago

It has far from run it's course. The radical left has made it the norm.  BTW the Conservatives will still rule the UK. They are making a change.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    2 years ago

I don't think I'm going to post anymore articles for a while.  I'm unable to flag anything until January.  

Now the trolls - as usual - are doing their usual drive-by taunts and trolling on my articles and I can't do a thing about it.

I don't know why I waste so much time here.    

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @6    2 years ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    2 years ago

How does one taunt oneself?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @6    2 years ago
I don't think I'm going to post anymore articles for a while.  I'm unable to flag anything until January.