╌>

These 10 states are America's worst places to live in 2022

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  60 comments

By:   Scott Cohn (CNBC)

These 10 states are America's worst places to live in 2022
These are the U.S. states with the worst quality of life for residents, based on CNBC's annual America's Top State for Business study.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Published Thu, Jul 14 2022 10:32 AM EDT

• In this era of severe worker shortages and unprecedented mobility, employees are demanding great quality of life in the state where they work.
  • Half of business executives surveyed agree it is important to do business in states with inclusive laws.
  • CNBC's annual America's Top State for Business study considers multiple measures of the quality of life, health and inclusion.

VIDEO3:1803:18 CNBC's Scott Cohn reveals the worst U.S. state for business The Exchange

With five million more job openings in the U.S. than there are employees to fill them, workers have more leverage than they have had in years. They are using that power — and unprecedented mobility — to demand a welcoming environment and great quality of life in the places they work.

That is why CNBC's annual America's Top States for Business study pays particular attention to quality of life. Now, with workers increasingly holding the cards, it is especially important in our methodology.

Our Life, Health and Inclusion category considers factors such as crime rates, environmental quality, and health care. For the first time in 2022, we also consider the availability of childcare, which the U.S. Chamber of Commerce found is a major obstacle for parents seeking to reenter the workforce.

We also consider inclusiveness of state laws in areas like protections against discrimination and voting rights. That's not politics, it's business.

Many Gen Z and millennial workers will turn down jobs that don't match their values, Deloitte found. If you need workers, you want to be in a place they are willing to go to.

We found some states are particularly welcoming. But these ten states fall short.

10. Nevada

Children seen in Las Vegas. Nevada. Paola Giannoni | E+ | Getty Images

With only about 400 licensed childcare centers in a state with more than 3 million people, Nevada is one of the worst states for access to childcare at a time when it is desperately needed. Also, the desert air is far from clear in the state's most populous areas, according to the American Lung Association. Residents in Clark County, home of Las Vegas, endure more than three weeks of high ozone days per year.

2022 Life, Health & Inclusion Score: 110 out of 325 points (Top States Grade: F)

Strengths: Voting Rights, Inclusiveness

Weaknesses: Childcare, Air Quality

9. Tennessee

Bill Ford, chairman of Ford Motor Co., speaks during a Ford announcement event at the Kentucky State Capitol in Frankfort, Kentucky, U.S., on Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2021. Jon Cherry | Bloomberg | Getty Images

The Volunteer State has notched some impressive economic development victories lately —like a major Ford electric vehicle facility — gaining lots of new residents in the process. But those workers are moving to a state that is chipping away at inclusiveness. The state has passed a series of laws aimed at the LGBTQ community, including a transgender sports bill this year that the Human Rights Campaign calls "discriminatory, unfair, and unnecessary."

2022 Life, Health & Inclusion Score: 108 out of 325 points (Top States Grade: F)

Strengths: Childcare, Air Quality

Weaknesses: Inclusiveness, Crime

8. Indiana

Fotografia Inc. | E+ | Getty Images

Access to licensed childcare centers in Indiana is among the worst in the nation, according to Child Care Aware of America. And the state spends a mere $76 per person on public health, according to the United Health Foundation. That, too, is among the worst in the nation.

2022 Life, Health & Inclusion Score: 102 out of 325 points (Top States Grade: F)

Strength: Crime Rate

Weaknesses: Childcare, Health Resources

7. New Mexico

Reuters

The Land of Enchantment is cursed by crime — the second highest violent crime rate in the nation, according to FBI statistics. Only Alaska is worse. In her 2022 State of the State address, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham made a business case for tackling the problem. "If we want to keep up our economic momentum," she said, "we have got to get crime under control."

2022 Life, Health & Inclusion Score: 101 out of 325 points (Top States Grade: F)

Strength: Voting Rights

Weaknesses: Crime, Air Quality, Health

6. Louisiana

Louisiana State Trooper Vehicle in the New Orleans French Quarter Crobertson | Istock Editorial | Getty Images

Louisiana is America's unhealthiest state, according to the United Health Foundation, with the nation's third highest cholesterol level, and the fourth highest rate of premature deaths. According to FBI statistics, the violent crime rate is among the nation's highest.

2022 Life, Health & Inclusion Score: 97 out of 325 points (Top States Grade: F)

Strength: Health Resources

Weaknesses: Health, Crime, Voting Rights

5. Missouri

St. Louis County Prosecutor Wesley Bell listens to a concerned voter after casting his ballot on November 3, 2020 outside the St. Louis County Board of Elections in St. Ann, Missouri. Michael B. Thomas | Getty Images

This year, Missouri grudgingly agreed to join 45 other states and allow early voting beginning with the general election in November. But the same bill, scheduled to take effect after the state's August primaries, outlaws most mail-in voting, and adds a deeply controversial voter ID provision.

2022 Life, Health & Inclusion Score: 89 out of 325 points (Top States Grade: F)

Strength: Childcare

Weaknesses: Crime, Voting Rights

4. South Carolina

Serhej Calka | Istock | Getty Images

With 2.19 hospital beds per 1,000 residents, according to Becker's Hospital Review, The Palmetto State finishes near the bottom for health care resources. And the state ranks 44th for access to clinical care, according to the United Health Foundation.

2022 Life, Health & Inclusion Score: 83 out of 325 points (Top States Grade: F)

Strength: Air Quality

Weaknesses: Voting Rights, Health Resources, Crime

3. Oklahoma

A nurse tends to a COVID-19 patient's IV during a tour of SSM Health St. Anthony Hospital's intensive care unit (ICU) amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic in Oklahoma City, August 24, 2021. Nick Oxford | Reuters

Oklahomans are not big on taking care of themselves, according to United Health Foundation data, which show they are among the least likely to exercise or even eat fruits and vegetables. The state is also among the worst for adults without health insurance, and childhood vaccines. Hospitals have spent much of the Covid-19 pandemic under stress, according to data from the Commonwealth Fund.

2022 Life, Health & Inclusion Score: 79 out of 325 points (Top States Grade: F)

Strengths: No metrics in the top 50%

Weaknesses: Health, Health Resources, Voting Rights, Inclusiveness

2. Texas

A registered nurse, talks to a ventilated patient as medical professionals treat people infected with the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Houston, Texas, November 12, 2020. Callaghan O'Hare | Reuters

Skilled workers are still flocking to Texas despite longstanding quality of life issues. According to Census data, the state ranks No. 3 for net migration of college educated workers behind Florida and Washington. But when they arrive, they are finding limited childcare options, a stressed health care system with the highest rate of uninsured, new curbs on voting rights, and few protections against discrimination.

2022 Life, Health & Inclusion Score: 72 out of 325 points (Top States Grade: F)

Weaknesses: Childcare, Health Resources, Inclusiveness, Voting Rights

1. Arizona

A pedestrian uses an umbrella to get some relief from the sun as she walks past a sign displaying the temperature on June 20, 2017 in Phoenix, Arizona. Ralph Freso | Getty Images

"It's a dry heat," The Grand Canyon State saying goes. But it leads to some of the worst air quality in the nation, according to the American Lung Association. Maricopa County, home to Phoenix, endures 39 high ozone days per year. That puts more stress on an already poor health care system, short on hospital beds and staff. The state spends just $79 per person on public health, among the country's lowest. Arizona offers stunning natural beauty and top-notch cultural and recreational attractions. But that comes at a stiff price in America's worst state to live in.

2022 Life, Health & Inclusion Score: 67 out of 325 points (Top States Grade: F)

Weaknesses: Air Quality, Health Resources, Inclusiveness, Crime

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

Red States are unlivable and are "bad for business"!

original

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Fuck Texas, AZ all the way!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

... new mexico was a surprise.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    2 years ago

Am surprised Ohio didn't make the list.  Ohio is corrupt.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  bbl-1 @2    2 years ago

Yes, but Ohio is outside Satan's Armpit where the worst parts are!

original

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  JBB @2.1    2 years ago

hah, hell hasn't been to yuma.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    2 years ago

Curbs on voting  rights?

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @3    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1    2 years ago

i find it funny how  Democrats whine and bitch about Texas, then do everything  they can to turn it blue.

Just fucking brilliant!

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.1    2 years ago

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.2    2 years ago

why do Democrats want to rule Texas then?

y'all  have to  make  sense sometimes 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.3    2 years ago

Texas Democrats want to regain power in Texas because the GOP sucks and has turned Texas into a third rate "shit hole".

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.4    2 years ago

hilarious,  have you even ever  been to Texas?

or are you just parroting  what you were told?

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.5    2 years ago

I lived in Texas in the 80s and 90s before it totally went to shit!

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.6    2 years ago

[deleted]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1.8  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.5    2 years ago

I will just say it, FUCK TEXAS.

Been through there a few times, smelled like shit, most people were nice (like anywhre) but also smelled like shit. Austin wasn't even that great. Good food though.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.8    2 years ago
I will just say it, FUCK TEXAS.

Who cares?

Been through there a few times, smelled like shit, most people were nice (like anywhre) but also smelled like shit. Austin wasn't even that great.

Gee, some folks visit Texas and actually go to cities where there are no cows. I can agree with you on Austin, too many people trying to California it for me.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.10  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.5    2 years ago
or are you just parroting  what you were told?

This

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.1.8    2 years ago
Been through there a few times, smelled like shit,

Maybe you have never visited Marfa, Lubbock, Laredo, McAllen, Corpus Christi, Galveston, El Paso or San Antonio.  Or maybe you just don't like so many Hispanics near you.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
5  Revillug    2 years ago

It looks a bit like the one parameter missing from this study is affordability.

squiggy
Junior Silent
5.1  squiggy  replied to  Revillug @5    2 years ago

That would influence a rounded picture but we’re not after the truth here.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  squiggy @5.1    2 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  squiggy @5.1    2 years ago

"we’re not after the truth here"

That's probably the most truthful thing you've ever said.  

squiggy
Junior Silent
5.1.3  squiggy  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.2    2 years ago

No, I've called you an asshole before but that one just gets lumped under the rug.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

I wonder where America would stand if the topic were The Worst Countries To Live In, or at least The Most Dangerous....

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    2 years ago

When we want to be watched via cctv (or worse) all the time we will call [removed, individual member not topic]

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6.1    2 years ago

One of the few times we will agree.

Individual crime rates in China may be low; but government crime rates are off the charts. Big brother CCCP is definitely watching everyone all of the time.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1.1    2 years ago

"Vas you dere, Charley?"  (Baron Munchausen)

I love it when people talk about what it's like in China when they haven't stepped one foot into the country. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    2 years ago

Oh, and BTW what is your advice on the yughis

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
6.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    2 years ago
I wonder where America would stand if the topic were The Worst Countries To Live In, or at least The Most Dangerous....

The sheer number of people attempting to immigrate would indicate the US is one of the best places in the world to live.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Jack_TX @6.3    2 years ago

Yeah, I haven't seen any stories about people dying trying to get into China, have you?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jack_TX @6.3    2 years ago

Well, it's hard to imagine, but I guess when people are starving and can't find work they are desperate enough to try to live in a country where health care can bankrupt them, their kids can be shot and killed going to school and they can be shot and killed just shopping for groceries or in a parade celebrating a holiday, bound to be infected with a virus where so many refuse to do what's necessary to prevent its spread, be discriminated against, where they've been told the streets are paved with gold.  The Statue of Liberty is a "welcome" sign to them about the "exceptional" Land of the Freedom for those not part of the world's record for incarceration and the Home of the Bravado. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.1    2 years ago

The Chinese government doesn't make it easy, and it's almost impossible to become a Chinese citizen.  I'm able to reside in China because I'm married to a Chinese citizen and am here as a guest only with a visa renewable every 3 years as long as I stay married to a Chinese citizen, although the government officials have offered to give me a green card, but I don't want or need it.  People can't move here just because they want to, or just because they think they can live a better life (even though, believe it or not, it's a lot better life than anybody who doesn't know China would allow themselves to find out) but they have to have a specific needed purpose for being here.  My original visa was as a "Foreign Expert", i.e. an expert to teach English to Chinese students.  Now that I'm retired, my Visa is for "Visiting Family".  

Actually, on my Canadian govenment retirement income, I live a lot better life here than I possibly could even come close to in Canada, and I really don't have any reason or desire whatsoever to get up on a soapbox in the city square and criticize the government. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.3.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dennis smith @6.3.4    2 years ago

I don't know.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.3.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dennis smith @6.3.7    2 years ago

I don't see why not, although it's of no interest to me.  I'll try to remember to ask the question the next time I'm in the presence of a government official, but that could be a couple of years from now when I go to renew my visa if I live that long.   If you're so curious, ask someone who would have the answer (such as the Chinese embassy in Washington D.C.) yourself.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.3.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dennis smith @6.3.9    2 years ago

Well, then I guess there's no answer for your question.  Sorry. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.3.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.1    2 years ago

Only North Koreans trying to escape their hell hole.

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.4  squiggy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    2 years ago

All the fences near you are designed to keep people IN. Us can't keep 'em OUT.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  squiggy @6.4    2 years ago

It's a mistake to show ignorance about something you don't know anything about.  There are no such fences here.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.4.2  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.4.1    2 years ago
That's par for the course for some folks here.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7  Ronin2    2 years ago

First of all CNBC? jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

They automatically ruled out every last Democrat run bastion of stupidity- so the results are skewed.

Second, Scott Cohn? 

A sought-after public speaker and the owner of a Northern California-based production company

He is a Californian- in other words shit for brains. He is living in one of the states that has the most people fleeing from it. Guess what the other top contenders are?

States people are leaving

According to USPS change-of-address data, these are the 10 top states people are fleeing. 

1. California

2021 saw a net loss of over 101 thousand households in California despite a mostly pleasant climate and robust tech industry. Rising housing costs, rising taxes and politics seem to be driving many people to look for opportunities elsewhere. Other factors that emigrants have cited are the rising threat of wildfires and the constantly increasing cost of living. Many families from the state are relocating to Texas.  

2. New York

Moving out of New York has become trendy, it would seem. The skyrocketing cost of living and ever-increasing local, state and federal taxes are driving factors. Many technology and banking industry workers that had spent a great deal of time in the office have found that working remotely due to the pandemic better suits their desires, allowing them to leave the city and, perhaps, live closer to extended family members. New York saw a net loss of over 75 thousand families last year. 

3. Illinois

IllinoisPolicy.org cited opportunities for employment and better housing as the leading cause of the population decline in the state. Nearly half of would-be movers also said that the tax rate is a major factor in their reasons for leaving. About 29 thousand outbound moves weren’t reciprocated in 2021. Weather, high traffic levels and crime only make the declining population problem worse for the state. 

10 States People Are Moving To

Southern states, where taxes tend to be low and sunshine is abundant, make up the top seven places moving destinations. These are the top ten recent population gainers. 

1. Texas 

According to the USPS, Texas gained over 12,700 residents overall in 2021. Part of the influx is due to the state’s conservative political environment, which is inviting to many people from nearby liberal states. Low taxes, a robust economy, a low cost of living and excellent weather round out the list of why Texas is a popular destination. 

2. Florida 

An admittedly non-scientific survey conducted by  The Tampa Bay Times told of taxes, affordable housing, sunshine and relaxed Covid restrictions being the leading causes of Florida’s influx of residents. Sandy beaches and tropical weather are a magnet for those searching for the affordable endless summer. Florida has always been a favorite of retirees and is now attracting a younger crowd with jobs that allow them to move around.  

3. South Carolina

Charleston.com cited reasons similar to Florida’s population increase, with the addition of people in search of green space as the drivers behind South Carolina’s growth. The pandemic has spurred migration to the state through remote work allowing families to move closer together and a strong job market keeping existing residents there. The state saw a net gain of over 10 thousand residents last year. 

4. North Carolina 

Many sources describe the reasons for North Carolina’s recent inflow of residents as being work, family and weather-related. North Carolina’s topography makes the state one of the most sought-after places to live among outdoor enthusiasts. The state saw a 9,000 person net increase in 2021 due largely to families’ newfound ability to choose where they live. 

5. Georgia

Georgia realized a net population gain of just over 5,000 last year. The state is full of outdoor activity opportunities, tropical summers, mild winters, beaches and plenty of mountainous terrains. It’s no wonder families are arriving in droves to take advantage of the low housing costs and the strong job market in Georgia. 

6. Tennessee

Tourism is the number two industry in Tennessee. A net gain of over 4,500 families in the state can partially be attributed to many people deciding that Tennessee is ideal for living like you’re on vacation. Tennessee’s low cost of living, low taxes, expanding job market and natural beauty make it a perfect location to call home for many retirees and young families alike

7. Nevada

Nevada’s population grew by over 3,100 families last year. Many of the immigrants came from the Pacific Northwest and southern states that are typically more humid than Nevada. Always popular with retirees for its weather, the state’s proximity to adventure-laden places in its five neighboring states, and its low cost of living are major driving factors in the populating surge among younger movers.  

There is reality; then there is shit for brains liberal stupidity. Cohn like all other leftists isn't a fan of reality.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ronin2 @7    2 years ago

lol, no one is moving to tennesssee 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1    2 years ago

Tennessee's population grew nearly 9% between 2010 and 2020.  Spring Hill, located 30 miles south of Nashville, had the 10th largest percentage increase among U.S. cities with a population over 50,000 in 2021.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @7    2 years ago
excellent weather

that is a matter of opinion . Parts of texas have weeks and even months of 100+ degree temperatures every year. San Antonio had a temperature of 106 the other day. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8  Texan1211    2 years ago

Texas is so bad that companies are relocating here in droves, people are constantly moving in (see latest census), Democrats are desperately trying to win a statewide race for the first time in almost 30 years, and some yahoo thinks it sucks? Show they don't know squat.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @8    2 years ago

Texas has the dumbest set of state wide office holders in the country. Corrupt too. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    2 years ago
Texas has the dumbest set of state wide office holders in the country.

That is fucking hilarious coming from a resident of Illinois. Talk about being oblivious to facts.......

How many Texas governors have done time?

Not NEARLY as many as Illinois governors. Illinois 'leads' the nation in THAT sad, pathetic fact.

Here, since you probably won't believe ME:

Full list of convicted Governors - Center for Illinois Politics (centerforilpolitics.org)

Do take special note how MANY Illinois governors made the list!

Sometimes you really crack me up with your sad, misinformed comments.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.1    2 years ago

The governor, lieutenant governor, and attorney general in Texas right now are all clowns. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.2    2 years ago
The governor, lieutenant governor, and attorney general in Texas right now are all clowns.

Gee, JR, how SAD is it that the vaunted Democratic Party, despite vows to "turn Texas blue" haven't won even ONE SINGLE statewide race since 1994?

Doesn't really say anything good that they can't even beat what you term as clowns?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    2 years ago

And Illinois is such a bastion of geniuses and upstanding with absolutely no corruption /S