╌>

Queen Elizabeth Is Dead

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  136 comments

Queen Elizabeth Is Dead
She has been placed under constant medical supervision according to the story, and NBC news sources, as reported on the Morning Joe show , say that members royal family are traveling to Balmoral Castle in Scotland to be by her bedside. 

Buckingham palace announced that Queen Elizabeth died today. 

The New York Times reported this morning that Queen Elizabeth's doctors have released a statement there was great concern for the 96 year old monarch's health. She has been placed under constant medical supervision according to the story, and NBC news sources, as reported on the Morning Joe show , say that members royal family are traveling to Balmoral Castle in Scotland to be by her bedside. 

I don't think such announcements would be released by Queen Elizabeth's aides unless this was a one way situation with a poor outlook for recovery. 

The British people will surely be sadly looking forward to change in the monarchy in the coming days, weeks, or months. 

LONDON — Queen Elizabeth II’s health appeared to be deteriorating on Thursday, with Buckingham Palace announcing that she had been placed under medical supervision and that her doctors were “concerned” about her health.

The queen, who is 96, has not been hospitalized and remains at Balmoral Castle, her estate in the Scottish Highlands, the palace said in a statement. But on Wednesday evening, she abruptly canceled a virtual meeting with members of her Privy Council after her doctors advised her to rest.

“Following further evaluation this morning, the queen’s doctors are concerned for Her Majesty’s health and have recommended that she remain under medical supervision,” the palace said in a statement.

On Tuesday, the queen looked frail in a meeting with the incoming British prime minister, Liz Truss.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

It sounds like they are preparing the British people for her death sooner rather than later. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

It will be an interesting transition with a new look royal family and a King Charles, as when Elizabeth was crowned queen in 1952 Great Britain was still a world power , indeed an empire, albeit a weakened one at that point.  Charles would become king at a time when the British monarchy means very little to the rest of the world simply because England is not as powerful as it once was. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.1  shona1  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

And most of us can't stand Chuck and Cami...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

At his age, I would be like “Fuck it. I don’t even want to be king, now.”

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.3  pat wilson  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

Every time I hear "King Charles" I picture those little dogs.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    2 years ago
I'm sure of one thing: the Brits love this particular Queen.

I heard that she had a Marmalade sandwich recently. God, you can't get much more British than that!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 years ago
I have marmalade on my toast almost every morning and I'm not British.  However, I owe great loyalty to her, my Queen, since she appointed me "One of Her Majesty's Counsel, Learned in the Law." (i.e. a Queen's Counsel, that authorizes me to put the letters "Q.C." after my name).   But if sleazy Charles, aided by his "floozy", was such a miserable husband to the much loved "People's Princess" and IMO was a cause of her death, doesn't immediately abdicate in favour of William, I'll cast my vote for Canada to leave the Commonwealth and becomes a Republic.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    2 years ago
I'm not British.

Just a little bit?

Alright Queen's Council, can I call you Queen's Own Buzz?

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1.2  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    2 years ago

And we will be doing the same. Time they got rid of the Commonwealth Games as well. Poor man's Olympics...

William and Kate yes. Charles and Camilla never...

What the Queen has achieved in her life time has been undone in the space of one generation...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  shona1 @3.1.2    2 years ago

They appear to be a long lived family, with the numerous family members who have lived well into their 90's, so we can expect Charles will be king for quite a few years even though he already in his 70's. 

He has waited a long time for his succession and I dont see him abdicating just because people dont like him. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    2 years ago
LOL.  Not even a little bit.  There is NOBODY in my ancestry that is British or even from any of the British Commonwealth of Nations.  My mother was from Kiev (as it used to be spelled) and my father was from White Russia.  They both migrated to Canada as children, and met in Canada.  Now that I think of it, at least when I was younger I was considered to be a British Subject even though I was born in Canada.  I don't know if that was ever changed. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.4    2 years ago
Now that I think of it, at least when I was younger I was considered to be a British Subject even though I was born in Canada. 

Ahh, there ya go!

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1.6  shona1  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.3    2 years ago

No he won't abdicate unfortunately...and it will be to the detriment to the Crown...

Time William rocks up I doubt there will be anything left.. there are 52 countries in the Commonwealth including Pakistan which was a surprise..

Once the larger countries pull out it is mainly small island countries that are still in it..and they will probably go too...

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1.7  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.4    2 years ago

It was the same here.... but as we are regarded by the Brits as convicts and colonials it never really got mentioned...much to our delight and we still rattle them to this day...

Nothing gives us more pleasure than beating them in cricket and rugby and they hate us for it ..we love it...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  shona1 @3.1.7    2 years ago

I love how you mob got the criminals and we got the religious freaks.

Is it too late to trade?

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.9  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.8    2 years ago

just goes to show which of the 2 groups can ever hope to be rehabilitated...

our religious freaks morphed into criminals, then into trumpsters...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  shona1 @3.1.7    2 years ago
.we love it..

You should love them for civilizing so many as well!

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1.11  shona1  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.8    2 years ago

You got the convicts first way before us...😁

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  shona1 @3.1.11    2 years ago

The state of Georgia?

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1.13  shona1  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.12    2 years ago

Oh yes..a point that appears to be over looked in a lot of history books for some reason.. not sure why 🤣.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @3.1.9    2 years ago

Exhibit A:

Georgia...started out as a penal colony and gave us Large Marge...freakish, religious, trump nutter criminal

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Vic Eldred  replied to  shona1 @3.1.13    2 years ago

I still remember learning that in elementary school. Isn't it amazing what grew out of such humble beginnings. I happen to think Australia is a great nation, as I'm sure most around the world do. Right now our hearts & minds are with the Queen.

Suddenly I have the strangest craving....I think I'll fry up some Haddock and French Fries and wrap it up in newspaper ...and..

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1.16  shona1  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.10    2 years ago

We always were civilised as was every country they stepped on to...

Just they didn't see it that way because the First Nations people weren't white ..here, NZ, Canada, India etc..

The poms (Brits) were slow learners... nothing urks them more now when they lose to us or the Kiwi's...not sure what Canada does (Buzz??) in the sporting side of things..

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.17  Vic Eldred  replied to  shona1 @3.1.16    2 years ago
We always were civilised as was every country they stepped on to...

Shona, you have a great outlook on life. Stay that way, my friend.

Just they didn't see it that way because the First Nations people weren't white ..here, NZ, Canada, India etc..

Is that really what it was about?  Can't we simply say that some nations developed much more quickly than others?

The poms (Brits) were slow learners.

We can end it there. I just heard that the Queen's doctors are "concerned."

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.18  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.15    2 years ago

I think I'll fry up some Haddock and French Fries and wrap it up in newspaper 

I wonder if the chippies there still fry in beef drippings?  Love it, but can do without the mushy peas.

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1.19  shona1  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.17    2 years ago

Yes unfortunately that is exactly what it was like 250 years ago here not sure what it was about over there..

Just have to read the journals and diaries from that era ..it is in black and white and unfortunately it still goes on to this day.

I have nothing but respect for our Kooris and seeing they are the oldest civilisation that walks this earth, we could learn a thing or two from them.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.20  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.18    2 years ago
the mushy peas.

Yup I heard of those too!

How about if I drizzle some olive oil & vinegar over the fried fish?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.21  Vic Eldred  replied to  shona1 @3.1.19    2 years ago

What percentage of the Australian population is Kooris?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.22  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.18    2 years ago
I think I'll fry up some Haddock and French Fries and wrap it up in newspaper 

One of my guilty pleasures. First meal I get when I go back to England.

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.1.23  shona1  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.21    2 years ago

Approximately 3% of the population is Koori.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.24  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.20    2 years ago
How about if I drizzle some olive oil & vinegar over the fried fish

I like malt vinegar on mine.  You don't want to fry in EV Olive Oil as it's has to much flavor and a low smoking point.  Refined light olive is OK.  I make my batter with flour, cornstarch, baking powder, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, beer and cold, sparkling water, it helps to keep the batter very light.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.25  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.22    2 years ago

I like fried Haddock or cod

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.26  Vic Eldred  replied to  shona1 @3.1.23    2 years ago

And that is high. I found it at 2%.

Now think about the tranquility of your society and compare it to other places, like for example, Mexico.

You take care 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.27  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.24    2 years ago
it helps to keep the batter very light.

So I've heard. I do like how it comes out!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.28  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.27    2 years ago

I like to use buy frozen halibut or cod. Orca Bay is a good brand available here.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.29  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.28    2 years ago

I thought it would be sacrilegious to use anything but Haddock.  Cod or Halibut are also top of the line fish.  Sounds delicious!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.30  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.29    2 years ago
I thought it would be sacrilegious to use anything but Haddock.

In Ireland, pollack (I forgot what they call it) or a fish similar to flounder is popular.

Sounds delicious!

I also like to make fish tacos with fried fish.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.31  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.22    2 years ago

While perhaps not as good as ones on the coasts, especially Northern UK,  in London, I've enjoyed the Golden Union in Soho and the Golden Hind in Marylebone.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.32  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.22    2 years ago

Don't have any fish today, but for dinner I'm going to make chips and douse them in salt and vinegar, as a mini-tribute. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
3.2  shona1  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 years ago

Morning Vic..the whole Commonwealth loves the Queen. She has stood by her declaration at the beginning of her reign and followed it through to the end as she promised. 

It's going to be a very sad day when she departs this world...she is deeply admired and respected and has served the Commonwealth well...

It will be another Diana moment when the time comes...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  shona1 @3.2    2 years ago

I think I understand.

I think we in the States will also long remember her.

th?id=OIP.omDQ2mw4ZyXIIMTpPL4BwQHaHa&pid=Api&P=0

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 years ago

I like marmalade sandwiches. But then again, I was raised between there and here.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.3    2 years ago

It seems very bland to me.

I guess one needs to acquire a taste for them.  

I can visualize Julie Andrews eating them...in small bites....very prim & proper!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3.1    2 years ago

What I really like is scones, with clotted cream and jam. Yum! 

I do make a mean scone, and it's a proper one that is round and you cut in half. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.3.2    2 years ago

We always knew you to be a muffin maven. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 years ago

TO VIC

I think you should have made it clear that you posted quotations from a dialogue we had before the Queen died, so I edited them to indicate they were quotations.  And, for the record, I am not a "council" because there is only one of me, I am a COUNSEL.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    2 years ago

If William becomes King does Kate become Queen?

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1  shona1  replied to  Greg Jones @4    2 years ago

Yes..that is their only hope if it went to William and Kate..

Once the Queen departs I would say there will be moves by us, Canada, New Zealand to get out of the Commonwealth...not much left after that...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

This news appears to be seen as a break, in both kind and degree, from previous news about the queen's health.  The consensus from tv reporters who are in Britain seems to be that this is a signal that the end is near. Otherwise why would the doctors have escalated their description of her health challenges?

shona1
PhD Quiet
5.1  shona1  replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 years ago

Yes the writing has been on the wall since Phillip passed...the Queen has been in slow decline ever since..

William and Kate have just moved to Windsor so moves are afoot for the inevitable...

shona1
PhD Quiet
5.2  shona1  replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 years ago

Reporting here the BBC has switched to rolling coverage of the Queens health and the news reader is in a black suit and tie...

Not looking good...🥀🥀

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  shona1 @5.2    2 years ago

that is interesting

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  shona1 @5.2    2 years ago

Normally there has to be a cause of death from a disease standpoint, but when you are 96 I think you can basically die from a sudden heart failure brought on by the inevitable exhaustion of living so long. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  shona1 @5.2    2 years ago

Feels like a death watch

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.3    2 years ago

NBC is reporting that the entire royal family is traveling to Scotland to be with her.  The doctors must have told them that she doesnt have much time left. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @5.2    2 years ago

It has been the headline news item on the English language China's CGTN (China Global Television Network) and I assume on all Chinese language news stations as well.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 years ago

I'm really kind of sad. I knew she had to go at some time, but she was really quite a force. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
6.1  shona1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6    2 years ago

Morning Perrie....yes it will be a very grim and sad day when the time comes..

Will be felt in Britain and right around the world...

They have been releasing news etc for the last couple of months things were not well, the last few weeks more so here.

We wait and watch...and hold our breath.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  shona1 @6.1    2 years ago

It appears the worse has happened.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.1    2 years ago

Just saw the news flash. RIP..................

shona1
PhD Quiet
6.1.3  shona1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.1    2 years ago

Yes have just woken to this sad news...

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🥀🥀🥀🥀

Revillug
Freshman Participates
7  Revillug    2 years ago

Maybe Britain will finally come to its senses under their next generation of uncharismatic constitutional monarchy and wind up doing something about the existence  of a taxpayer subsidized British Royalty.

We Americans did our part 246 years ago when we jumped ship.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Revillug @7    2 years ago
taxpayer subsidized British Royalty.

I remember once reading that they were a revenue generator.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
7.1.1  Revillug  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1    2 years ago

You don't actually need a terrarium of taxpayer funded living royals to have tourists come visit historic castles and other sites. These estimates crediting the royal family for all this tourism revenue sound a bit like BS planted in the press by the Royal Family itself.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
7.1.2  Revillug  replied to  Revillug @7.1.1    2 years ago

Out of respect for the people who are fond of the Queen and are in some sense mourning the loss of a beloved famous person, I will have nothing further to say about this news story.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Revillug @7.1.2    2 years ago

I dont really mourn her, and am certainly not in favor of a monarchy, but I do understand she was a world figure and meant a lot to the British people. I assume one would have to actually live in a country with a royal family in order to feel any appreciation for it. Our American royalty is billionaire athletes and celebrities such as actors, pop stars, You Tube influencers, the Kardashians, and rappers. I'm not sure that the British royalty is any worse than what we have here. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Revillug @7    2 years ago

Yes of course, no other form of government today or throughout history could compare to the perfection of the American government. 

Revillug
Freshman Participates
7.2.1  Revillug  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.2    2 years ago

[deleted]

Revillug
Freshman Participates
7.2.2  Revillug  replied to  Revillug @7.2.1    2 years ago

And the previous comment I was replying to wasn't taunting?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Two days ago she was standing up, shaking hands with the new prime minister. She must have had a heart attack or stroke since then. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @8    2 years ago
Two days ago she was standing up, shaking hands with the new prime minister.

She also had serious mobility problems.

She must have had a heart attack or stroke since then. 

The only official report is that she died peacefully, surrounded by her family.

At any rate, Queen Elizabeth II was an inspirational leader for millions around the world. May she rest in eternal peace - reunited with her beloved Phillip.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

About an hour or so before the official announcement Buckingham palace posted a notice on the front gate that the changing of the guard was canceled for today. many in the media knew the meaning of that. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10  Freefaller    2 years ago

Just read that she has passed.  As the old saying sorta goes "The queen has died, long live the new King".  While not as well liked Charles will take the throne pretty soon.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Freefaller @10    2 years ago
While not as well liked Charles will take the throne pretty soon.

Charles III has tremendous shoes to fill. I sincerely hope that he's up to the challenge.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
10.1.1  afrayedknot  replied to  Jasper2529 @10.1    2 years ago

“Charles III has tremendous shoes to fill. I sincerely hope that he's up to the challenge.”

Traditionally easier to be a Queen.

His tenure will be marked with nothing but turmoil as he has neither the acceptance, the pathos, nor the forgiving history to deal with the societal issues of the day. 

Respectfully, a sad day all in all…as she marked nearly a century of conflict and change across the entire globe…not always on the right side, but always with the uniquely British sense of decorum. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
10.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  afrayedknot @10.1.1    2 years ago
Traditionally easier to be a Queen.

Well, that sounds like a very sexist comment to me, but you're entitled to your own opinion..

His tenure will be marked with nothing but turmoil as he has neither the acceptance, the pathos, nor the forgiving history to deal with the societal issues of the day. 

If you mean that he's a jerk, I agree. 

A sad day all in all…

Actually, I look at today differently. Today is sad only for those left behind. If she was in pain, she is now pain-free. If she was lonely after the death of her husband, she's now with him again. She lived a long, productive life, and that's something each of us should aspire to achieve.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
10.1.3  afrayedknot  replied to  Jasper2529 @10.1.2    2 years ago
“Traditionally easier to be a Queen.

Well, that sounds like a very sexist comment to me.”

…history can be your friend, jasper…

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @10.1.2    2 years ago

You know I work with someone who used to be a teacher.

I really like HER

Other teachers around here, not at all.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jasper2529 @10.1.2    2 years ago
"If you mean that he's a jerk, I agree." 

IMO a lot worse than that. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
12  MonsterMash    2 years ago

Prince Charles the Chump now becomes King Chump. Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, will become Queen Consort Bimbo when he takes the throne. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
12.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  MonsterMash @12    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
12.2  Jasper2529  replied to  MonsterMash @12    2 years ago

It's definitely going to be a "woke" monarchy. Talking to plants ... green energy that his poor and middle-class subjects can't afford. Will the UK also start stripping its forests of trees to create fuel as the EU has been doing?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
13  Tacos!    2 years ago

She seemed like a nice lady. I’ve never been into the whole royals thing, but for the people who love her, I offer my condolences.

shona1
PhD Quiet
14  shona1    2 years ago

Sleep well Your Majesty...

Your duty is done....and we thank you...

🇦🇺🥀🇦🇺🥀🇦🇺🥀

Kavika
Professor Principal
15  Kavika     2 years ago

IMO, she welded a bond with the British population with her courage and determination in WWII. I doubt if it will ever be matched again.

queen-elizabeth-ii-ats.jpg?quality=85&w=1487
Princess Elizabeth explains to the Queen what she has done to the car engine. April, 1945.

The International Museum of World War II

MAY 25, 2018 10:00 AM EDT

A young female auto mechanic in military uniform in England in 1945 would not have been a rare sight, nor would a photograph of one such woman giving a demonstration to a visiting dignitary. This particular photo, however, is unusual because of what her job was when she wasn’t serving in the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS), a women’s army auxiliary branch.

The visiting dignitary is Queen Elizabeth — now perhaps better known as the Queen Mother — and the young ATS subaltern is her daughter, the future Queen Elizabeth II.

RIP

Kavika
Professor Principal
16  Kavika     2 years ago

Here is a wonderful article on her role in WWII and also how she joined the celebrations when the WWII ended, cap pulled down over her eyes so no one would recognize her, she is said to have joined the conga line dancing in celebration.

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1  shona1  replied to  Kavika @16    2 years ago

Morning Kavika...and just reading strangely enough double rainbows have appeared over Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle...

Maybe a sign she is with Prince Philip once again and her parents and sister..

Hope so...

Kavika
Professor Principal
16.1.1  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @16.1    2 years ago
Maybe a sign she is with Prince Philip once again and her parents and sister.. Hope so...

I  do as well, shona.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
16.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  shona1 @16.1    2 years ago

Hello, shona1 -

Yes, there was a double rainbow. What a rare, beautiful sight!

rainbow.png?ve=1&tl=1

A double rainbow is seen over Elizabeth Tower in Westminster, London, following a rain shower on Sept. 8, 2022.  (Ian West/PA Images via Getty Images)

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1.3  shona1  replied to  Jasper2529 @16.1.2    2 years ago

Morning Jasper...thank you for that...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
16.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  shona1 @16.1.3    2 years ago

You're very welcome!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
16.1.5  Jasper2529  replied to  shona1 @16.1.3    2 years ago

Here are 2 more for you and Buzz ...

62234567-11196585-image-m-20_1662713198102.jpg

62234589-11196585-image-m-31_1662720210673.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
16.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jasper2529 @16.1.5    2 years ago

Sorry Jasper, but that site is blocked here, but since they are pictures you would have to save them to your computer's picture library, then copy them from there and post them here in order for me to be able to see them. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
16.1.7  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @16.1.6    2 years ago

My apologies, Buzz. I'll try again!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
16.1.8  Jasper2529  replied to  Jasper2529 @16.1.7    2 years ago

62234567-11196585-image-m-20_1662713198102.jpg

62234589-11196585-image-m-31_1662720210673.jpg

This time, I copied/pasted from the Daily Mail UK itself. Can you see them now?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
16.1.9  Jasper2529  replied to  Jasper2529 @16.1.8    2 years ago

Or, try this ...

?u=https%3A%2F%2Frarity4u.com%2Fimages%2FArticles%2FGeneral%2FEverything%2520Else%2FQueen%2520Elizabeth%2FLilibet.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.morefm.co.nz%2Fhome%2Fgoss%2F2022%2F09%2Ftear-jerking-artworks-and-a-poem-dedicated-to-the-late-queen-war%2F_jcr_content%2Fimage.dynimg.1280.q75.jpg%2Fv1662697923741%2Fmfm-paddington-artwork-for-late-queen.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1.10  shona1  replied to  Jasper2529 @16.1.9    2 years ago

Morning Jasper..many thanks for these..

Yes they are doing the rounds here and the Commonwealth...very touching and simply says it all...

Her Majesty will be so sadly missed here and in many countries around the World. 

🇦🇺🇦🇺🥀🥀

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
16.1.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jasper2529 @16.1.9    2 years ago

LOL. Thanks anyway Jasper, but obviously those images must have some wicked reason to not let me see them.  No big loss.

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1.12  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @16.1.11    2 years ago

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1.13  shona1  replied to  shona1 @16.1.12    2 years ago

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1.14  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @16.1.11    2 years ago

See if that worked Buzz..🐨

It's the Russians I tell ya..🤣

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
16.1.15  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @16.1.14    2 years ago

Yes, thanks Shona. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1.16  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @16.1.15    2 years ago

Well it's official here now.. Charles is now proclaimed as King and head of State...😬

New Zealand is also in the process.

A public holiday has also been proclaimed here for next Thursday as an official day of mourning for the Queen...

And so a new era begins for better or for worse, only time will tell...🇦🇺🇳🇿🇨🇦

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
16.1.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @16.1.16    2 years ago

He's been proclaimed in Canada as well.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
16.1.18  TᵢG  replied to  shona1 @16.1.16    2 years ago

I am curious, was there a real consideration in your part of the planet that Charles would not be recognized?

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1.19  shona1  replied to  TᵢG @16.1.18    2 years ago

Evening tig..no as we have no choice in the matter of succession...but that does not mean to say in the near future we make a move to become a Republic and severe the tie...

Kavika
Professor Principal
16.1.20  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @16.1.19    2 years ago

Shona what is interesting for me is that my kids and grandkids are all dual citizens and their take on staying part of the Commonwealth, it's 80/20 to leave.

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1.21  shona1  replied to  Kavika @16.1.20    2 years ago

Evening.. yep it is pretty well a given it will happen. First thing when Labor got in was create a portfolio to look at becoming a Republic...so within the next few years I would expect the move to go ahead.

Questions have already been raised about it now on becoming a Republic...

Kavika
Professor Principal
16.1.22  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @16.1.21    2 years ago

Playing the devil's advocate I asked them if they would give up their Tribal membership. That kind of threw them for a loop but it made them think of all possible ramifications. They all came back with the same answer, we cannot give up our Tribal memberships because it is our blood, deeper than any political party/system.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
16.1.23  TᵢG  replied to  shona1 @16.1.19    2 years ago

That is what I was asking.   You have no choice in succession but you do have a choice of recognition of a monarchy.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
17  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

I woke up this morning to read the news, and I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to say that I shed many tears.  She was my Queen.  She appointed me her counsel.  Right now I'm just too sad to stay on the computer so it will be a while before I return.  God Save William. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
17.3  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @17    2 years ago

Yes a very sad day has arrived...one we wished would never come but it is now here.

QC has now been officially replaced by KC as of now...seems on some things they waste no time...

We in the Commonwealth thank Her Majesty for her service and duty...one that she fulfilled to her upmost ability and now it's time for her to rest...her duty is done...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
17.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @17.3    2 years ago

I will not post "K.C." after my name as long as Charles remains as king - it will remain as Q.C., and if Ontario renames the modern divided highway that runs along the west end of Lake Ontario from Toronto past Hamilton to Niagara Falls from the Queen Elizabeth Highway to the King Charles Highway I will never drive on it. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
17.3.2  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @17.3.1    2 years ago

Don't think we will be changing roads or freeway names...they will stay as is.

Money will eventually be changed over, the same as when the Queens father passed etc..but if we become a Republic then it will be a complete change.

Is the Queens head on your coins as it is here?

🇦🇺🥀🇨🇦

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
17.3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @17.3.2    2 years ago

Absolutely.  On ALL of them.  

OIP-C.iri8j7Q9I9a9KGsi3beTcQAAAA?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

shona1
PhD Quiet
17.3.4  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @17.3.3    2 years ago

Just remembered when we were at primary school we also sang the national anthem..God save the Queen until we got our own..then the allegiance...

We salute the flag, serve the Queen..

And cheerfully obey our parents teachers and the law...

Then one year it just stopped and then faded away...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
17.3.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @17.3.4    2 years ago

While I was in public (primary) school King George VI was still alive so we sang God Save the King every morning in school - no longer when in high school.  I think that the respect and devotion shown to the monarchy back in those days stayed with us, at least I can speak for myself.

Waykwabu
Freshman Silent
17.3.6  Waykwabu  replied to  shona1 @17.3.4    2 years ago

I remember this in the very early 50's when started I primary school.

If today we are asked to cheerfully obey our parents teachers and the law there would be an outcry - how dare they expect us to conform to such unrealistic standards ?

shona1
PhD Quiet
17.3.7  shona1  replied to  Waykwabu @17.3.6    2 years ago

Not wrong.. funny how things we forget come back...and it was always the boys that saluted the flag, the girls weren't allowed too.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
18  pat wilson    2 years ago

RIP QE2

Waykwabu
Freshman Silent
19  Waykwabu    2 years ago

Heartfelt condolences to all members of the Commonwealth on the passing of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, who reigned as Queen 1952-2022,    As Queen of Australia, the UK, and many Commonwealth countries she will be greatly missed after a lifetime of dedicated service.   Rest In Peace your Majesty .

I make no apologies and am PROUD to be called  monarchist.  I can think of nothing worse than some of the republican systems found in the world today.

shona1
PhD Quiet
19.1  shona1  replied to  Waykwabu @19    2 years ago

Yes I was a monarchist as well until all the Princess Diana and then Andrew fiasco came out..

Have the greatest respect for the Queen and all she has done through her reign..but there it ends with Charles and Camilla..no respect what so ever for either off them and less for Andrew...

If William and Kate took over not a problem and that is not going to happen anytime soon unless something happens to Charles.

So more than happy now to become a Republic as I think Canada, New Zealand etc will also make a move...

Dig
Professor Participates
20  Dig    2 years ago

The end of an era, the Second Elizabethan Age. 

Imagine what the world would be like if all leaders could be like her – dignified, honorable, steadfast, and most importantly...a genuinely good person. Instead, too many people insist on voting for some of the worst among us, as if the whole point is to reward absolutely abysmal character with high political office.

Earlier I was watching historical coverage about Elizabeth's life and reign, and then I flipped the channel and was confronted with current American political news. The contrast with today's bottom-of-the-barrel, R Party disaster is about as striking as it can get. It's embarrassing – the bad faith, the straight-faced dishonesty, the contemptuous demagoguery, the complete lack of integrity. I fear for the future.

Waykwabu
Freshman Silent
20.1  Waykwabu  replied to  Dig @20    2 years ago

That's why I will always remain a monarchist - that other system will ALWAYS be open to bribery, corruption, and the  like.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
20.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Waykwabu @20.1    2 years ago

... are you fucking serious?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
22  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

What does this say about Queen Elizabeth's passing?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
23  Thrawn 31    2 years ago

meh

charger 383
Professor Silent
24  charger 383    2 years ago

She ran a Steam Locomotive.  In Oct 1951 while touring Canada, Princess Elizabeth ran CNR Locomotive 6057 a 4-8-2 that was pulling her special train. The Engineer was watching her.  This info was from a pay railfan site that I can't  link to