╌>

CatholicVote dumps $2 million into blocking Catholic Dems from office: 'Clearing out the trash'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  2 years ago  •  174 comments

By:   YahooFinance

CatholicVote dumps $2 million into blocking Catholic Dems from office: 'Clearing out the trash'
CatholicVote is spending $2 million in an effort to keep Catholic Democrats out of office, buying ads in three key Senate races. The ads focus on abortion and gender issues.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Anders Hagstrom October 27, 2022, 1:24 PM·3 min read

CatholicVote is dropping $2 million in ad spending in an effort to block Catholic Democratic candidates from gaining office, the prominent Catholic political group announced Thursday.

The ad-buy will last through the final 10 days of campaigning before the Nov. 8 midterm elections, targeting Democratic Senate candidates in Nevada, Arizona and Ohio. The candidates there, Catherine Cortez Masto of Nevada, Mark Kelly of Arizona and Tim Ryan of Ohio, are all avowed Catholics, though they reject the church's teachings on abortion and other issues. The ads are also targeting five Democrats in the House of Representatives.

The ads, coming in both English and Spanish versions, focus on parental rights, gender transitioning and abortions for minors, CV President Brian Burch told Fox News Digital.

"The Senate races are all Catholic-versus-Catholic," Burch said. "Part of this is wanting to secure parental rights over gender transitions and abortions for minors, but part of it is also about clearing out the trash of so-called Catholics who violate core, fundamental church teachings."

While conventional political wisdom says the abortion issue is a weak one for Republicans this election cycle, Burch argues candidates have found success going on the offensive. He argues that while independent voters may have their own views on abortion, they agree that parents should be the main decision-makers when it comes to their children.

Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto listens during a Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee hearing on July 27, 2021.

Catholic Democrats have faced increased scrutiny in the midterms thanks largely to the prominence of President Biden, another avowed Catholic who rejects church teachings on abortion. U.S. clergy debated over the propriety of offering communion to Biden and other pro-abortion Democrats in 2021, though bishops ultimately chose not to enact a rule.

Bishop Robert Barron pushed back on Biden in August, acknowledging that the president "does feel his faith" but calling his stance on abortion "repugnant."

"What bothers me about Biden — I don't doubt he's a serious Catholic at all. And I think he does feel his faith. I think he practices faith," the bishop told Fox News Digital in August. "But on this issue, what he's doing is repugnant. Because he's not just barely tolerating abortion — saying let's try to set some limits to it. He's aggressively trying to expand access to it."

CatholicVote last waded into advertising in August with a spot calling out Biden and other national Democrats for ignoring attacks on pro-life pregnancy centers and churches in the wake of the Supreme Court's ruling overturning Roe v. Wade.

The ad drew a contrast between America's first Catholic president, John F. Kennedy, who vocally condemned the burning of churches in the 1960s and "pledged justice" for the offenders, and the second Catholic president in the nation's history, Joe Biden, whom the ad depicted as encouraging violent protesters to "keep protesting, keep making your point."

While the Biden DOJ has pursued aggressive charges against pro-life protesters in the months since Roe fell, Attorney General Merrick Garland and the FBI have taken no action in at least 17 instances of attacks on pro-life centers by the radical abortion group Jane's Revenge.

Brianna Herlihy contributed to this report.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     2 years ago

I wonder how this group feels about contraception. It seems that CatholicVote group is the judge and jury (in their mind) as to who is and who isn't a catholic.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Kavika @1    2 years ago

It seems that CatholicVote group is the judge and jury (in their mind) as to who is and who isn't a catholic.

No true Scotsman Fallacy

GregTx
PhD Guide
2  GregTx    2 years ago
The ad drew a contrast between America's first Catholic president, John F. Kennedy, who vocally condemned the burning of churches in the 1960s and "pledged justice" for the offenders, and the second Catholic president in the nation's history, Joe Biden, whom the ad depicted as encouraging violent protesters to "keep protesting, keep making your point."

I think that's a fair contrast to make, don't you?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  GregTx @2    2 years ago
I think that's a fair contrast to make, don't you?

Not at all, JFK was referring to the burning of black churches. Biden was not encouraging the burning of churches black or white.

Any thoughts on the CatholicVote group and their funding of political campaigns?

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.1.1  GregTx  replied to  Kavika @2.1    2 years ago
Not at all, JFK was referring to the burning of black churches. Biden was not encouraging the burning of churches black or white.

What does that mean? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  GregTx @2.1.1    2 years ago
What does that mean? 

Exactly what it says. 

Do you have a comment on the article and the CatholicVote group?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 years ago

I guess they have the right to do this, but then again, it's not very Christian of them. Obviously, they learned nothing from

“He who is without sin can cast the first stone”

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    2 years ago

Since some Catholic groups have said that 98% of Catholics have used birth control at some point in their lives I'd say it's hypocritical of them.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @3.1    2 years ago

It is, and I have to say that I am uncomfortable with these religious tests to hold office. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.1    2 years ago

I'm uncomfortable with it as well and also with religion pouring money into political campaigns.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  Kavika @3.1    2 years ago

Abortion is not birth control like contraception is. There is a big difference from stopping a pregnancy before it begins an the murder of an innocent baby. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @3.1.3    2 years ago
Abortion is not birth control like contraception is. There is a big difference from stopping a pregnancy before it begins an the murder of an innocent baby. 

It seems that many Catholics disagree with your assumption about abortions. 

As far as contraception it is estimated that 98% of Catholics have used it sometime in their lives which is against church tenets.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.1.5  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.3    2 years ago

There is a big difference from stopping a pregnancy before it begins an the murder of an innocent baby.

Of course there is, since a “baby” exists outside of a womb.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @3.1.2    2 years ago

I personally believe any and all politicians running for public office should be banned from receiving any campaigne contributions from religious organizations.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.7  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.6    2 years ago

I agree with that Doc and would like to take it a couple of steps further. Our political system has become nothing more than who can raise the most money (citizens united and dark money) which, IMO, destroys what our country was built on. 

I would love to see changes that stop the ''money grab'' and return the system to the people.

George
Junior Expert
3.1.8  George  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.6    2 years ago

I don’t think they should be allowed to accept money from outside their district or State if running for a statewide office, or from any national organization.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.9  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  George @3.1.8    2 years ago

Agreed.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.10  arkpdx  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.1.5    2 years ago

I have been through this before on other seeds and you will not convince me that it is not a human life and a baby that is being killed. It has human DNA and is a baby in an early stage of development. Those that say it is not do so to ease their conscience about killing an innocent human life. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.11  Gordy327  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.3    2 years ago

There is no baby in an abortion. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.12  arkpdx  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.11    2 years ago

It ain't a tuna fish sandwich. It is a baby just at an early stage of development. You claim it is not a baby because I. That is easier on your conscience. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.13  Gordy327  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.12    2 years ago

It's not a baby because it doesn't meet the definition of one. Especially if its still in development, as you say. It's an embryo/fetus. A baby is the finished product. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Sean Treacy  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.12    2 years ago

No, no. It magically turns into a baby when the mother wants to keep it. If she decides she  wants to kill it, it becomes a clump of cells. If she changes her mind on the way to the clinic, it magically becomes a baby again. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.15  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.14    2 years ago

No no, it becomes a baby once it's born. It's still an embryo/fetus in an abortion. It's a literal  clump of cells in the blastocyst stage. This is embryology 101.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.13    2 years ago
It's not a baby because it doesn't meet the definition of one

Tell me you've never talked to a pregnant woman or participated in society without saying you've never done so.

OF course it's properly termed a baby in utero.  It's perfectly  standard English  to say "the baby is kicking" when its still inside the womb. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.17  arkpdx  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.13    2 years ago

Bull shit. As I said that is only to make you feel better. It is still a human life. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Sean Treacy  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.15    2 years ago
no, it becomes a baby once it's born. It's still an embryo/fetus in an abortio

As I said, you've never talked to a pregnant woman.]

Imagine asking "Can you feel the  clump of cells kicking?" 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.19  Gordy327  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.18    2 years ago

Irrelevant. The terminology i provided is still correct.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.20  Gordy327  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.17    2 years ago

Go study embryology then get back to me. Clearly you cannot discuss the issue rationally.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.21  arkpdx  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.15    2 years ago

That embryo has all the chromosomes And DNA to qualify it as a human life. 

It's a literal  clump of cells in the blastocyst stage. This is embryology 101.

You better go back to school. A blastocyst stage only last a few days a few abortíons take place at that time. The mother would not even realize she is pregnant. 

The development of a human being begins with fertilization, a process by which two highly specialized cells, the spermatozoon from the male and the oocyte from the female, unite to give rise to a new organism, the zygote."

[Langman, Jan. Medical Embryology. 3rd edition. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1975, p. 3]

Embryo: The developing individual between the union of the germ cells and the completion of the organs which characterize its body when it becomes a separate organism.... At the moment the sperm cell of the human male meets the ovum of the female and the union results in a fertilized ovum (zygote), a new life has begun.... The term embryo covers the several stages of early development from conception to the ninth or tenth week of life."

[Considine, Douglas (ed.). Van Nostrand's Scientific Encyclopedia. 5th edition. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1976, p. 943]

]

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.22  arkpdx  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.20    2 years ago

I have and an embryo is a stage of development of a human life. Period! Maybe it is you who needs to study embryology and start becoming rational. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.23  Gordy327  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.21    2 years ago

Translation: it's not yet a baby. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.24  Gordy327  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.22    2 years ago

The issue isn't about whether it's a "human life." It's about when it's a baby, which is at birth. And a "human life in development" means its not yet an actual human life as in a individual person. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.25  Ronin2  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.1.6    2 years ago

Change that to:

All politicians running from office should be banned from receiving any campaign contributions from any organizations.

And I would agree with you. Why are religious organizations so much worse than Unions, the NRA, corporations, environmental groups; and any and all lobbyists?

I have no problem with ending donations to the political trough; so long as it applies to everyone equally.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.26  cjcold  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.3    2 years ago

The word is fetus. Totally different thingy.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.27  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.14    2 years ago
It magically turns into a baby when the mother wants to keep it.

Actually it does. Ever been pregnant, Sean? Both times I wanted my baby. To me it was a baby from the moment the stick turned blue

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.2  arkpdx  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    2 years ago
it's not very Christian of them

Of course they are going against those that are for abortion. Killing babies is not very Christian at least not  Catholic Christianity is it. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3.2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  arkpdx @3.2    2 years ago

Termination of pregnancies is not equal to killing babies.  You know this.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  arkpdx  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.2.1    2 years ago

In my view and in the view of many others in this country it is. IMHO the only people that don't think so are selfish and are only concerned with what they want and , for the women, think their bikini line is more important than a human life. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.2.3  arkpdx  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @3.2.1    2 years ago
Termination of pregnancies is not equal to killing babies

Yes it is. They are killing dogs or fish or lizards. It is a human being  just at an early stage of development. It has human DNA and will continue development until it is born as a fully developed human baby. A baby is an early stage of development of a human child. Which is a early stage of a human adolescent which ia developemental stage of an adult human being. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.4  Gordy327  replied to  arkpdx @3.2.2    2 years ago

Then your and others such views are wrong, plain and simple. And your opinion is irrelevant. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.2.5  arkpdx  replied to  Gordy327 @3.2.4    2 years ago

I say your opinion is irrelevant. It is a human baby at an early stage of development. Just because there are some that find it inconvenient to have a baby dies not change the fact that it has all the DNA required to make a human being. That it is in an early stage of development is relevant. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  arkpdx @3.2.5    2 years ago

I stated fact, not opinion. Maybe you should brush up on the proper terminology and definitions and drop the emotional rhetoric.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.7  devangelical  replied to  arkpdx @3.2.3    2 years ago

the rules for our country are posted at the entrance. it doesn't matter what thumper scum think.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    2 years ago

Ezekiel 37:5&6, “Thus says the Lord God to these bones:   Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live.   And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord.”

According to the Bible life begins with a breath.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  SteevieGee @3.3    2 years ago

You're preaching to the choir here.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.3.2  arkpdx  replied to  SteevieGee @3.3    2 years ago

Gee you don't believe in the bible until is convenient for you. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.3.3  SteevieGee  replied to  arkpdx @3.3.2    2 years ago
Gee you don't believe in the bible until is convenient for you. 

I don't believe it at all. I didn't write it.  I'm just quoting it.  Just pointing out the hypocrisy.  You can believe it if you want but Ezekiel 37 is still there.  Here's another one:

After God formed man in Genesis 2:7, He “breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and it was then that the man became a living being”.

Sounds pretty clear to me.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.3.4  devangelical  replied to  SteevieGee @3.3.3    2 years ago

pro-life ideal is another instance of thumpers revising an obvious mistake their creator has made.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.3.5  Ozzwald  replied to  SteevieGee @3.3.3    2 years ago
I'm just quoting it.  Just pointing out the hypocrisy.

God is actually pro-abortion ( including forced abortions ) according to the bible.

CB
Professor Principal
3.3.6  CB  replied to  Ozzwald @3.3.5    2 years ago

Interesting video.  Although, in several 'positions' it ask leading questions which are answered by somebody's agenda.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.3.7  Ozzwald  replied to  CB @3.3.6    2 years ago

Although, in several 'positions' it ask leading questions which are answered by somebody's agenda.

Yet the verses that it quotes from the bible are accurately displayed.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
4  Revillug    2 years ago

I was raised Catholic but I am an atheist now.

If for some reason I felt that I needed to reintroduce Christian faith and ritual back into my life, the Catholic church would be the last church I would consider.

The organization has simply been a bad actor for a very long time.

It is basically the last surviving branch of the Roman Empire.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Revillug @4    2 years ago
The organization has simply been a bad actor for a very long time.

A few thousand years to be exact.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
4.1.1  Revillug  replied to  Kavika @4.1    2 years ago

My understanding of Jesus is that his message was not only spiritual but a political rebellion against Roman occupation and the local collaborators. Jesus was then tortured to death by the Romans and the local collaborators.

How one then gets to a place where Catholic Christianity is the state religion for an unrepentant Roman Empire is beyond me.

This Catholic Church has tortured people to death and it is still abusing children all over the world.

So I would look elsewhere.

And shop around carefully.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Revillug @4.1.1    2 years ago
and it is still abusing children all over the world.

Sadly, that is true and trying to cover up the abuse by the priests that goes to the highest level of the RCC.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  Kavika @4.1.2    2 years ago

There are other religions whose clergy has been accused of abuse. While I believe that some of the abuse did occur I am sceptical that it was as many as reported 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @4.1.3    2 years ago
There are other religions whose clergy has been accused of abuse. While I believe that some of the abuse did occur I am sceptical that it was as many as reported 

Yes, there are other clergies but we are talking about the RCC here. You can certainly believe what you want but the proof is in the lawsuits and convictions of the RCC pedophiles.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.5  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @4.1.4    2 years ago

in the relatively short history of the major organized (monetized) religions, it seems their primary functions are protected havens for sexual deviants and money laundering fronts to benefit church leaders and their elected supporters.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @4.1.5    2 years ago
it seems their primary functions are protected havens for sexual deviants and money laundering fronts

Your biases are running away with you.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @4.1.5    2 years ago
it seems their primary functions are protected havens for sexual deviants and money laundering fronts to benefit church leaders and their elected supporters.

What an astoundingly stupid comment.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  cjcold  replied to  arkpdx @4.1.3    2 years ago

I am skeptical that it is as few as reported. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Once again we see that Newstalkers is anti-Catholic site. It is an old story here. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 years ago

Pointing out facts makes NT an anti-Catholic site? Perhaps if the RCC didn't ignore its moral code there wouldn't be the number of criminal and morally repugnant acts that they have committed and tried at the highest levels to hide. 

Pointing them out isn't anti-Catholic, what is anti-Catholic is the actions of the RCC. 

And how very Christian that CatholicVote calls those that oppose them, ''clearing out the trash''...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @5.1    2 years ago

Child sex abuse takes place everywhere men (usually)have unsupervised access to children, because there is a percentage of men who are predisposed , by their nature, to be sexually attracted to children. So child sex abuse takes place in churches, schools, scouting, sports teams, summer camps, and on and on, especially within families. The Catholic Church portion of that total is relatively small, yet Newstalkers cannot have a discussion about the Catholic Church without bringing up the priests. It happens every time. There is almost never a seed about child sex abuse, or even a mention of it in a comment, that does not refer to Catholics.

Why is that?

Because the seeders or commenters dont really particularly care about the child sex abuse, they care about attacking the Catholic Church.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @5.1    2 years ago
I public   schools , there is a prevalent problem called “ Passing   the   Trash .” It’s when a teacher accused of sexual abuse is quietly moved from school to school within a district once allegations come to light.

A Primer on “ Passing the Trash ” - The Worthy Adversary

===================================================================================

How many comments or seeds on NT do we see about that?  Same idea as the CC coverup. Same idea.  Is it talked about on NT?

Never, as far as I can see. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.3  seeder  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.1    2 years ago
Because the seeders or commenters dont really particularly care about the child sex abuse, they care about attacking the Catholic Church.

So, I don't care about the child sex abuse done by the RCC? What a fricking lie that is when you work with the survivors of the evil ways and then talk to me about it, until then STFU.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @5.1.3    2 years ago

How many times have you seeded or commented about child sex abuse outside of the Catholic Church? Its not just you by any means, this is what happens across this society. There are far far far more children sexually abused by their families than were ever abused by Catholic priests. It happens in schools, it happens in clubs, in sports groups, it happens everywhere. 

I am not making excuses for the Catholic Church, the ones who did wrong should go to jail, and generally they dont. But they dont in public schools either. They dont in protestant churches either. They dont in families either. 

Why can people not discuss the Catholic Church without bringing up the subject of the priests? You had a reasonable topic here about one Catholic group (conservative) opposing more liberal Catholic politicians. Its a fair topic. 

Instead of just staying on that topic we have people deciding to attack the concept of the Catholic Church. This is not even close to being the first time that has happened on Newstalkers. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.4    2 years ago

How many times have you seeded or commented about child sex abuse outside of the Catholic Church? Its not just you by any means, this is what happens across this society. There are far far far more children sexually abused by their families than were ever abused by Catholic priests.

As they say, dog bites man is not a story.  Man bites dogs gets attention.  It’s like you want to insist that there’s no difference between a public school teacher and a man who has devoted his life to the priesthood.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.5    2 years ago
It’s like you want to insist that there’s no difference between a public school teacher and a man who has devoted his life to the priesthood.

LOL. Are you serious? Mr Atheist wants to assign importance to what Catholic priests or the Catholic hierarchy thinks?  Objectively, which would be the atheist way, there is no moral difference between a Catholic priest and a public school teacher or principal. It is a difference that would only, objectively, be applied by those who believe that priests have a moral authority. Atheists dont believe that. 

Society makes teachers, coaches, scout leaders, etc figures of authority within children's lives. To say it only matters when Catholic priests are involved is ridiculous. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.7  seeder  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.4    2 years ago
How many times have you seeded or commented about child sex abuse outside of the Catholic Church? Its not just you by any means, this is what happens across this society.

FYI, I've commented on the sexual abuse by the Baptists and Mormons and all Christian groups that ran ''Indian Boarding Schools''....

If you cannot tell the difference between what priests have done and what the RCC has done to protect them over the decades then you simply are living in a excuse-laden world.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @5.1.7    2 years ago

I dont want to argue about this with you. I made my point. NT is an anti-Catholic site and always has been. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.9  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.6    2 years ago

I’m not allowed to recognize that the faithful consider men of the cloth as elevated forms of humanity?  Why?  Because I’m not one of you? You’re right in that a priest is essentially just a man in a dress, but you are way wrong in asserting that they should not be held to a higher standard when they’ve devoted their lives to being perceived as existing on that higher plane.  The RCC won’t even recognize certain norms about the union of two people unless they have been sanctioned by them.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.10  seeder  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.8    2 years ago
I dont want to argue about this with you. I made my point. NT is an anti-Catholic site and always has been. 

You didn't make any point, except to make excuses for the RCC. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.11  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.9    2 years ago

You are an atheist and you are going to profess that priests have an additional level of moral authority? LOL. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.12  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @5.1.10    2 years ago

I am not making any excuses for anyone. I am giving this a broader perspective. 

There are many more cases of child sex abuse, across the larger society, in any given one year , than there has been in the entire 70 year length of the Catholic priest scandal allegations. 

There are tens of thousands of cases of child sex abuse in America every year. As of the original John Jay report in the 2000's there had been something like 12,000 cases of priest abuse (committed by 4000 or so priests,)  over a 50 year span. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.13  seeder  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.12    2 years ago

Do you know any of the survivors of the sexual abuse by the priests or have you met with any of the survivors of the ''Indian Boarding Schools'' where thousands of Indian children died at their hands? 

If you haven't you really don't know a damn thing about it. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.14  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.11    2 years ago

John, I doubt that Hal does think they have moral authority.  But they think they do, and many of their congregations think they do, to the point that they're making a move right now trying to impose their religious principles on those who aren't members of the Catholic Church.  They're angry because while Joe Biden is against abortion in his own personal life, he refuses to impose that onto others. 

It's an insistence that America be ruled from the Vatican, and it is hardly surprising that some Americans won't have it.

Kavika also points out that there are Catholics who don't agree with the Church regarding abortion and contraception, and would not impose the Church's' restrictions on others.  That is not being anti-Catholic.  That is recognizing that some Catholics overstep their boundaries, and some do not.  He's only calling out the ones who do, not Catholics in general.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.15  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.12    2 years ago
in the entire 70 year length of the Catholic priest scandal allegations. 

SOMEONE owes me a cup of coffee, because that one made me spit out my last one .

70 years only? is that omitting how many popes have supposedly had illigitamate children ? not even considering cardinals , bishops or priests . 

IMO scandal runs throughout the entire history of the church , and that can go for ANY denomination , not just the RCC.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.16  Hallux  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.8    2 years ago
NT is an anti-Catholic site and always has been.

NT is an anti-Liberal site and has always been.

NT is an anti-Republican site and has always been.

NT is 'the' anti-Site and has always been ... and the beat drolls on.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.17  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.8    2 years ago

If you believe and insist on pushing that view regarding NT, then you have no point.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.18  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.14    2 years ago

When I was on Newsvine years ago I had a 2000 comment seed about the priest child abuse scandal.  I am very familiar with discussing this issue on a broad scale. 

There are many people who think child sexual abuse is a "Catholic" issue. It is not. There are more instances of child sexual abuse , not committed by Catholic priests , in any given ONE YEAR, than there are instances committed by priests over a 70 year period in total. 

I doubt that Hal does think they have moral authority.  But they think they do, and many of their congregations think they do,

Do they have more moral authority than the kids parents or family do? The majority of child sexual abuse is done by family members. I dont think there has EVER been a seed about this on Newstalkers, or Newsvine for that matter. 

Of course the issue is made into a "Catholic" issue by people who also dislike the church for other reasons as well. You just said so yourself. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.19  JohnRussell  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.15    2 years ago
70 years only? is that omitting how many popes have supposedly had illigitamate children ? not even considering cardinals , bishops or priests .  IMO scandal runs throughout the entire history of the church , and that can go for ANY denomination , not just the RCC.

The 70 years refers to the period that came to light in the 90's and early 2000's . There is a good reason for that time frame. It encompasses people who are alive and can remember what happened. Dead people cant. Of course there was child sexual abuse by priests before 70 years ago, just like there was by teachers, coaches, scout leaders, choir directors, ministers, etc, and family members,  before 70 years ago. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.20  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.11    2 years ago

You are an atheist and you are going to profess that priests have an additional level of moral authority? LOL. 

Perhaps the both of us are to a minor degree guilty of wanting to have our cake and eat it too.   You want to defend Catholics, while admitting that their superiors are just mortal humans like the rest of us with the same basic instincts, and I want to be known as an someone who could never believe in a god, and still recognize that religious leaders be held to a higher standard because of the path they have chosen.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.21  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.18    2 years ago

I'm not Catholic or Christian and I completely agree with you on this.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.22  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.20    2 years ago

Because we have free will, and because all religions are man made entities, of course religious people can be morally fallen. To me its not even debatable. It is part of life. 

Doesnt mean there is no value in religion or in the Catholic religion. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.23  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.19    2 years ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif , ahhh self applied blinders , i see says the blind man .....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.24  JohnRussell  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.23    2 years ago

[deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.25  seeder  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.18    2 years ago
When I was on Newsvine years ago I had a 2000 comment seed about the priest child abuse scandal.  I am very familiar with discussing this issue on a broad scale.

You are very familiar with discussing this issue on a broad scale. That is quite the statement, do you want to tell me about the RCC and Indian Boarding Schools? or how about The Cardinal Bea House do you want to explain that to me?

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.1.26  Veronica  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.24    2 years ago

Free will defies common sense.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.27  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.24    2 years ago

well i can see your problem there John , and that is you cant make it my problem since you have neither the consent nor authority  .

just remember , what you may consider "common sense" , i might just consider barking moon bat fuckery , so onward cupcake , there is fuckery to be done ....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.28  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @5.1.25    2 years ago

You have a legitimate context in which you place Catholic priest child sex abuse. 

It is not a broad context. 

Child sex abuse by Catholic priests is a very small part of child sex abuse, yet it is the only group that is ever singled out for attack on the subject.  How can that be? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.29  JohnRussell  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.27    2 years ago

bla bla bla

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.30  JohnRussell  replied to  Veronica @5.1.26    2 years ago

No it doesnt. 

Actually , it is not possible for human beings ever , ever, to experience NOT having free will. The only experiences any of us will ever have involve free will. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.31  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.18    2 years ago
Do they have more moral authority than the kids parents or family do?

In their own eyes, yes.  If their parents decide that abortion is ok, while the priest does not, who do you think the priest expects the child to listen to?  Him, of course.

Many Catholics use contraception, in direct opposition to what their priests tell them to do.  Do you think the priests just say "Oh, well, you're right.  The Pill for everyone!"

Of course they don't.  To the priests, those who use contraception are acting in opposition to Church authority.

This isn't just about child abuse, John.  It's about the Church attempting to impose its will on a secular government.  It's about the Church not accepting that most of us aren't Catholics, and aren't going to quietly accept being forced to live as Catholics.  Hell, you support abortion rights, yourself, so I know you understand that.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.32  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.22    2 years ago

I don't see anybody arguing that point.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.33  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.29    2 years ago

as expected when you have nothing else .

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.34  seeder  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.28    2 years ago

You didn't answer my question and you might want to tell the thousands of Indian children that were subject to the sexual abuse by priests that it is not a broad context. Of course, you can't tell that to the ones that died at the hands of the RCC, can you?

Child sex abuse by Catholic priests is a very small part of child sex abuse, yet it is the only group that is ever singled out for attack on the subject.  How can that be? 

They are the only group where thousands of Indian children died at their hands...Simple enough. 

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.1.35  Veronica  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.30    2 years ago

I should have said the Catholic concept of free will defies common sense.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.36  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @5.1.34    2 years ago

Im not going to argue with you about this. Of course you are right about the Indian schools and I'd like to see the perps in prison if they are alive. 

I am talking about the different issue of anti Catholic prejudice that is expressed by some people through the child sex abuse issue. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.37  JohnRussell  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.31    2 years ago

So, I assume you can talk about the Catholic Church and abortion without mentioning child sexual abuse by priests. 

Many people cannot. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
5.1.38  afrayedknot  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.36    2 years ago

“…anti Catholic prejudice that is expressed by some people through the child sex abuse issue.”

With all due respect for your faith, it is difficult to separate the two.

At least it has become a point of discussion and will hopefully lead to procedures that will eliminate any abuse going forward.

Peace. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.39  JohnRussell  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.33    2 years ago

You made a mistake when you objected to the 70 year timeline and now you are just whining about it. 

So bla bla bla. 

There is an absolute reason for the 70 year timeline, and you act like you dont understand it. Like I said, not my problem. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.40  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.22    2 years ago

Because we have free will, and because all religions are man made entities, of course religious people can be morally fallen. To me its not even debatable. It is part of life. 

I don’t even think free will should be a serious term.  If we all have it, and there is no living thing that does not have it, then why does it need to even be something to seriously consider?  It’s a canard that gets thrown out in attempts at religious justification.

Have you considered the parallels between what Catholicism has been going through and what the Republican Party is experiencing?  We blame Republicans for their failure to police their own, and allowing garbage like QAnon and proud boys etc. to take hold of their party.  Yet how many Catholics have defended their tribe against evidence of abuse and even sheltered abusers in the church just because of their cultish influence?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.41  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.37    2 years ago
So, I assume you can talk about the Catholic Church and abortion without mentioning child sexual abuse by priests.  Many people cannot. 

I can.

I also recognize that the Catholic Church, having been in a position of power with government sanction and using government funds, has sheltered those who committed child sexual abuse, thereby sanctioning such abuse.  I also recognize that other churches and organizations have done the same.

This article, though, is about some members of the Catholic Church attempting to influence government to impose Catholic rules on non-Catholics.  I recognize that other religious organizations do the same, and that articles about those organizations can easily be seeded.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.42  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.40    2 years ago

I challenge anyone to describe for me the moment in anyones life when they have experienced not having free will.

It isnt possible. 

Since a human life experiences free will during every single second of its conscious existence, there is no point in anyone saying there is no such thing as free will. It is totally pointless. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.43  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.39    2 years ago

Me thinks thou doest protest too much .....

keep pulling your Charlie Sheen impersonation , your still not "WINNING".....because no ones believing you ....

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.44  seeder  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.36    2 years ago
Im not going to argue with you about this. Of course you are right about the Indian schools and I'd like to see the perps in prison if they are alive. 

There are many still alive, this didn't happen centuries ago it was in your lifetime.

I am talking about the different issue of anti Catholic prejudice that is expressed by some people through the child sex abuse issue. 

No prejudice at all it could be because the RCC is the largest Christian group and they have set themselves up as the moral authority for everyone. They brought on the shame all by themselves, no one forced them to have pedophiles as their representatives and then did everything possible to protect them at the highest levels of the RCC

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.45  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.42    2 years ago

Oath of Enlistment for US  military service. 😁

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.46  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.42    2 years ago

So we both agree that free will isn’t even a serious term.  Good.  The question is why are you bringing it into this conversation?

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.47  Hallux  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.30    2 years ago
Actually , it is not possible for human beings ever , ever, to experience NOT having free will. The only experiences any of us will ever have involve free will.

Where did you come up with this idea? The concept of 'free will' has been discussed not only by humans but by their gods ever since Lucy realized that Adam was a dolt. A good article on the subject can be found at:

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.48  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.42    2 years ago

The idea of free will is crucial one for society, law and politics.

One of the most important books that Imread as a teenager was Victor Frankl's Man's Search For Meaning.  A key theme, from his observations in concentration camps was both the prisoner and the guard had choices to make.  They could do whatever it took to survive or the could put others in front of themselves.  No matter how horrific the circumstances, you can still decide to try to do the right thing.  Unless my mind isn't functioning properly, I am ultimately responsible for my inner self and my free decisions.

As a bookend to Frankl, last year i had a lot of time to read and a friend gave me a very interesting book, Decoding Schopenhauer’s Metaphysics: The Key to Understanding How It Solves the Hard Problem of Consciousness and the Paradoxes of Quantum Mechanics Paperback.  I'll admit to having never read Schopenhauer, The World as Will and Representation. Kastrup’s thesis is that most have misunderstand Schopenhauer's sophisticated ideas on the nature of mind and reality. 

Without free will, the recognition and inspiration of beauty, the love of others, then the only point in life is the simple biology.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
5.1.49  Revillug  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.1    2 years ago
Child sex abuse takes place everywhere men (usually)have unsupervised access to children, because there is a percentage of men who are predisposed , by their nature, to be sexually attracted to children. So

The Catholic Church constructed a particularly predatory environment. It didn't just land in their laps. They built it.

The whole celibacy thing, at the root of this problem, was done to make the Catholic Church more efficient in accumulating property,

I don't see how the institution can be repaired. It has had thousands of years and it remains toxic.

The word of Jesus?

That can be taken with one on the way out the door.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
5.1.50  Revillug  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.18    2 years ago
in any given ONE YEAR, than there are instances committed by priests over a 70 year period in total. 

OFGS.

That's because there are around 400,000 priests and almost 8 billion people.

400,000 / 8 Billion  = 0.00005

while 1/70 = 0.014

The Catholic Church is an over achiever in sexual abuse by well over a couple of orders of magnitude.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
5.1.51  Revillug  replied to  Hallux @5.1.16    2 years ago
NT is an anti-Liberal site and has always been.

It is a bit lopsided.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.52  devangelical  replied to  Revillug @5.1.50    2 years ago

math doesn't lie. include all catholics and evangelicals and that percentage catapults across the decimal point.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
5.1.53  Revillug  replied to  Revillug @5.1.50    2 years ago

I need to take another crack at these numbers because 8 billion is so large in comparison to 400,000.

There are 8 billion people in the world and around 400,000 Catholic priests in the world.

8 billion / 400,000 = 20,000

One could say that it should take the Catholic around 10,000 years to produce the same amount of sexual abuse in the entire world and not a mere 70 years.

It feels like we are contemplating the mass in a black hole and not just the prevalence of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church.

If anything, this talking point has shocked me and not reassured me.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
5.1.54  Revillug  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.48    2 years ago
One of the most important books that I read as a teenager was Victor Frankl's Man's Search For Meaning

That book got a shout-out and some discussion in the FX series, Patient, which is now streaming on Hulu.

I think you might like the series.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
5.1.55  Revillug  replied to  devangelical @5.1.52    2 years ago
math doesn't lie. include all catholics and evangelicals and that percentage catapults across the decimal point.

I also need to point out that here in NYC Christian Churches and the Catholic Church do a lot of good work. They do the food drives and the clothing donations. They provide community services. They provide a first point of contact for people in crisis.

The Christian Bible can be abused and distorted for evil purposes or it can serve to center one's generosity in the world.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.56  devangelical  replied to  Revillug @5.1.55    2 years ago

the bell curve exists everywhere that humans are...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.57  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Revillug @5.1.54    2 years ago

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Patient.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 years ago

NT is anti catholic site

Of course it is. 

if Someone were to brag here about beating up Jews, they’d be a rightfully branded a bigot.

but as we’ve seen, if someone brags about liking to beat up Catholics, it’s nothing but thumbs up and praise by those who pat themselves as “tolerant”

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2    2 years ago
but as we’ve seen, if someone brags about liking to beat up Catholics, it’s nothing but thumbs up and praise by those who pat themselves as “tolerant”

That is totally not the truth. There has never been a time when I allowed a comment about liking the beating up of Catholics.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
5.2.2  Revillug  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2    2 years ago
if someone brags about liking to beat up Catholics

Citation needed.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 years ago
Once again we see that Newstalkers is anti-Catholic site.

I take it that it is more of an anti abuse of trust and authority than it is against any one religion .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.3    2 years ago

Thank you, Mark!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.4  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 years ago

I am an atheist no matter the flavor.

Never fell for mythology or superstition.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
5.4.1  al Jizzerror  replied to  cjcold @5.4    2 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.4.2  Gordy327  replied to  cjcold @5.4    2 years ago

As am I. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Never fell for mythology or superstition.

Neither have I. 

CB
Professor Principal
6  CB    2 years ago
The ad-buy will last through the final 10 days of campaigning before the Nov. 8 midterm elections, targeting Democratic Senate candidates in Nevada, Arizona and Ohio. The candidates there, Catherine Cortez Masto of Nevada, Mark Kelly of Arizona and Tim Ryan of Ohio, are all avowed Catholics, though they reject the church's teachings on abortion and other issues. The ads are also targeting five Democrats in the House of Representatives. "The Senate races are all Catholic-versus-Catholic ," Burch said. 

This news account I find to be unsettling. And for the space of fifteen minutes are so I was vexed by not being able to understand why it offended me. As I am not now or ever a Catholic.  And then it came to me, what is disturbing about this:

" No President has done more for Israel than I have," Trump wrote. "...U.S. Jews have to get their act together and appreciate what they have in Israel - Before it's too late!"

Coincidence? Not hardly. We have evidence that Donald Trump is not one to silently sit by and let matters play themselves out when he can give a big 'shove' behind the scenes. What are the chances that some Jewish group will speak up in a similar manner against Chuck Schumer's senate majority? This is bear-knuckle political 'combat.'  And is it shameful for the Church to engage in underhanded tactics and such.

Here we are, nevertheless! What other religious organizations plan a sneak attack in these midterms?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  CB @6    2 years ago

what on earth does that have to do with the article?

is Trump so important to you that you feel compelled to drag him into this???

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7  Texan1211    2 years ago

I wonder how much PP has donated to Democrats?

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Kavika     2 years ago

Closing the article for tonight. I'll open it again in the AM.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  seeder  Kavika     2 years ago

The article is open for comments.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
10  al Jizzerror    2 years ago

CatholicVote is dropping $2 million in ad spending in an effort to block Catholic Democratic candidates from gaining office, the prominent Catholic political group announced Thursday.

When any religious groups use millions of dollars to influence politics, then they should pay taxes.

I would like to see CatholicVote use their money to help feed the hungry and provide shelter to the homeless.

I would also like to see politicians keep their religion out of politics.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11  Trout Giggles    2 years ago
Bishop Robert Barron pushed back on Biden in August, acknowledging that the president "does feel his faith" but calling his stance on abortion "repugnant."

"What bothers me about Biden — I don't doubt he's a serious Catholic at all. And I think he does feel his faith. I think he practices faith," the bishop told Fox News Digital in August. "But on this issue, what he's doing is repugnant. Because he's not just barely tolerating abortion — saying let's try to set some limits to it. He's aggressively trying to expand access to it."

This guy needs to go wash his mouth out with holy water. Did it ever occur to him that Biden can be a devout Catholic and still want abortion access for Americans? Who does he think Biden works for? He works for all of us! He doesn't work for the fucking RCC that's for sure!

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @11    2 years ago

A fairly large % of Catholics believe that abortion is acceptable as well as contraception. Both are not accepted by the RCC. see comment 3.1.4 for links to the research on this.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @11.1    2 years ago

I was Catholic once. I converted because my husband is Catholic and we were married in the Church by a priest. Both kids baptized and first communioned.

Mr Giggles used to remark how small the families were in our parish. Most families had 2-3 kids but there weren't any large families. This was a military parish so most folks couldn't afford large families. He said that "You know Father Bob knows people are using contraception but he won't say anything about it."  Maybe because he was a Major in the Air Force and thought it was best to just go along to get along.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
12  Revillug    2 years ago

Harry Shearer does a weekly segment on his Le Show podcast entitled," News of the Godly."

He mostly dedicates it to updates on the Catholic Church sexual abuse scandals. Sometimes he mentions other Christian denominations and their abuse scandals.

For some reason, I have never once heard him mention sexual abuse problems within Judaism.

Of course there is such a thing:

Ultra-Orthodox Shun Their Own for Reporting Child Sexual Abuse

But somehow Harry has never once gotten around to it.

I have already made my lack of sympathy for the Catholic Church clear. And my recommendation for what to do about it is also clear (find another Church to worship at).

But having said that, Harry Shearer's fetish for reporting on the Catholic Church scandal does come off a bit as anti-Catholic and not in the best light.

I think it is important to remain clear headed about this Catholic Church problem. There is an institution (the Catholic Church) that is very problematic and has earned our criticism. Catholics themselves are captives to this institution. Leaving a Church can be a hard thing to do. It can affect your relationships with family and others in your life. It can put you in a position of starting over.

I personally think of the Catholic Church as being like the political regime in North Korea and Catholics themselves as being like the unfortunate souls who happen to live in North Korea.

What I hope most for them is regime change, and in the absence of that, escape and refuge.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Revillug @12    2 years ago
I personally think of the Catholic Church as being like the political regime in North Korea and Catholics themselves as being like the unfortunate souls who happen to live in North Korea.

Completely ridiculous. This type of thing is a reason why NT can be seen as anti-Catholic. There is basically only one or two people here who actively dispute this sort of nonsense. One of them being me. 

Revillug
Freshman Participates
12.1.1  Revillug  replied to  JohnRussell @12.1    2 years ago
Completely ridiculous.

You are entitled to your opinion.

There is basically only one or two people here who actively dispute this sort of nonsense. One of them being me. 

Just last week I was worried that every other person I was talking to on this site is a Russian spy.

Now I am wondering how many Catholic Priests are here.

I guess next week I'll do a Qanon headcount.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
12.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Revillug @12.1.1    2 years ago

I used to fight oil company employees on the vine.

The ones paid to deny anthropogenic global warming.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
12.1.3  Revillug  replied to  cjcold @12.1.2    2 years ago
oil company employees on the vine...ones paid to deny anthropogenic global warming.

Newsvine was particularly attractive to paid shills because Newsvine also paid out its own royalty, before NV transitioned to the strange Google ads revision.

It's kind of comical to imagine foreign agents getting paid a royalty by an American company to post disinformation online.

But there we were, smack in the middle of watching it take place.

independent Liberal
Freshman Quiet
13  independent Liberal    2 years ago

The catholic church has been a genocidal cancer on mankind since its inception. No one organization has started more wars, eradicated more people or preyed on more innocent. Their disturbing wealth and voice should never be tolerated in politics.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
13.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  independent Liberal @13    2 years ago
eradicated more people

Show us your numbers.

independent Liberal
Freshman Quiet
13.1.1  independent Liberal  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13.1    2 years ago

You can look at the middle ages alone, 50 to 65 millions protestant's were killed along with 300,000 Jews. Then we can look at what they did to the indigenous people in North American and Africa.

Still want to have this conversation?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
13.1.2  pat wilson  replied to  independent Liberal @13.1.1    2 years ago
50 to 65 millions protestant's were killed along with 300,000 Jews

Your numbers are insanely inaccurate. Please provide a link to back up this absurdity.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
13.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  independent Liberal @13.1.1    2 years ago
You can look at the middle ages alone, 50 to 65 millions protestant's were killed

Weren't the Middle Ages from the late 5th to the late 15th centuries?  Martin Luther was the religious reformer who was the catalyst of the 16th-century Protestant Reformation.  How could Catholics kill so many Protestants before there were any?

Still want to have this conversation?

Only if you get your shit together.

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.4  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13.1.3    2 years ago

Those numbers are quoted from this link:  1.1 .sqspcdn.com/static/f/827989/15116787/1321289366180/50+million+protestants+killed.pdf" >http://static 1.1 .sqspcdn.com/static/f/827989/15116787/1321289366180/50+million+protestants+killed.pdf

And this link:

As for the indigenous people of the Americas and Africa, the number is huge since you have to start with the ''Doctrine of Discovery'' and papal bull '' Inter caetera''. to the modern day ''Indian Boarding Schools''

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.5  seeder  Kavika   replied to  pat wilson @13.1.2    2 years ago
Your numbers are insanely inaccurate. Please provide a link to back up this absurdity.

see comment 13.1.4

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.1.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  independent Liberal @13.1.1    2 years ago
50 to 65 millions protestant's were killed along with 300,000 Jews

Lol.  Was every Protestant born killed by Catholics  twice or thrice?  Were all wars fought the fault of Catholics.?

I would expect even the KKK to have more sophisticated arguments. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.1.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @13.1.4    2 years ago
Americas and Africa, the number is huge since you have to

Right.  The Catholic small pox. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
13.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @13.1.4    2 years ago

From your link:

Catholic Inquisition that 50 million people were slaughtered for the crime of "heresy" by Roman persecutors between the A.D. 606 and the middle of the 19th century. 

I replied to the comment:

You can look at the middle ages alone, 50 to 65 millions protestant's were killed

The Protestant Reformation began in the 16th Century, a century after most historians closed the middle ages. There weren't any Protestants to kill in the middle ages.

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.9  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @13.1.8    2 years ago

Go argue with Independent Liberal.

I supplied the link that had the numbers. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.10  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @13.1.7    2 years ago
The Catholic small pox. 

Among other modes of killing that were employed. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
13.1.11  afrayedknot  replied to  Kavika @13.1.10    2 years ago

Genocide, plain and simple…intentional and brutal. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.1.12  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @13.1.10    2 years ago
Among other modes of killing that were employed

Lol. Which papal lab created smallpox Kavika?  Or do you think those meany Catholics stole native american's immunity with magic? 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
13.1.13  afrayedknot  replied to  Sean Treacy @13.1.12    2 years ago

“…smallpox.”

Just a homegrown pathogen that became a convenient export. What an idiotic, shameless posit. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.1.14  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @13.1.9    2 years ago
supplied the link that had the numbers. 

Yeah,  thanks for supplying the link to the computer scientist/fundamentalist bigot who thinks the world was created just a few thousands years ago in line with bible. 

[deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.15  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @13.1.12    2 years ago

Did I dispute that smallpox killed indigenous people, Sean. No, I didn't but I can always depend on you to defend the RCC no matter their sins which are numerous up to and including murder and pedophilia.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.1.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  afrayedknot @13.1.13    2 years ago
What an idiotic, shameless posit.

I agree. Believing the Catholic Church intentionally spread smallpox when no one understood it's transmission is quite shameless.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.17  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @13.1.14    2 years ago
Yeah,  thanks for supplying the link to the computer scientist/fundamentalist bigot who thinks the world was created just a few thousands years ago in line with bible. 

He was also a Catholic priest.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.1.18  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @13.1.15    2 years ago
No, I didn't but I can always depend on you to defend the RCC no matter the

[deleted]

There's plenty to criticize the Catholic Church for. Just do it honestly. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.19  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @13.1.18    2 years ago
No at all. I'm just not a bigot who makes things up to support my obsessions. There's plenty to criticize the Catholic Church for. Just do it honestly. 

Ah, so now I'm a bigot, this coming from you is hilarious. I do it honestly, reading is essential, Sean, even for you.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.1.20  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @13.1.17    2 years ago
He was also a Catholic priest.

If you say so. Here's your expert

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13.1.21  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @13.1.6    2 years ago

Newstalkers is an anti-Catholic site. Period. End of story. It never changes. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.1.22  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @13.1.19    2 years ago

[deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.23  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @13.1.22    2 years ago

I don't drink Sean, best you follow your own advice.

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.24  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @13.1.20    2 years ago

I'm aware of that Sean. Perhaps you should try reading the comments. Drinker and pat asked for link to Liberals numbers, I found the link and posted them. I did not say anything that I believe them, is that to diffciult for you to understand. My comment was addressing the RCC and the ''Doctrine of Discovery''.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.1.25  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sean Treacy @13.1.22    2 years ago

[deleted

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.1.26  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @13.1.24    2 years ago

Pay attention Kavika.  I didn't say you believed it.  I specifically thanked you for "supplying the link to the computer scientist/fundamentalist bigot who thinks the world was created just a few thousands years ago in line with bible." Also,  I did, quite obviously, address your claim about the Church's role.

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.27  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @13.1.26    2 years ago
Pay attention Kavika.  I didn't say you believed it.  I specifically thanked you for "supplying the link to the computer scientist/fundamentalist bigot who thinks the world was created just a few thousands years ago in line with bible." Also,  I did, quite obviously, address your claim about the Church's role.

Yet you addressed your comments regarding it to me mixed in with childish insults and not to Independent Liberal.

And no you may think that you addressed my claim about the Church's role, but as usual, you didn't. 

Have a great afternoon, I'll be closing the article for a couple of hours and will reopen it when I return. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13.1.28  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @13.1.24    2 years ago
y comment was addressing the RCC and the ''Doctrine of Discovery''.

For starters, why don't you explain how the Pope controlled the Protestant Countries that largely settled North America.

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.29  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @13.1.28    2 years ago

I've explained the Doctrine of Discovery and the papal bull and their effect on indigenous people through the centuries. Also the Marshall Trilogies and the codification into law in the US. via the Johnson v McIntosh decision. 

The protestant countries simply followed the RCC in the Doctrine of Discovery and into the Manifest Destiny era. 

Here is an article on it from Oxford Academic on that subject.

Here is another from they Presbyterians

I'll be shutting down the article but we can take it up again at a later date.

Kavika
Professor Principal
14  seeder  Kavika     2 years ago

The article is open again. I'll be shutting it down at 5pm EST. It's been up for four days, that's long enough.