╌>

Progressive America Needs a Glasnost: Stop being afraid to speak out against the madness.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  2 years ago  •  68 comments

Progressive America Needs a Glasnost: Stop being afraid to speak out against the madness.
The Washington Post's media critic admitted publicly what many people have told me privately: they didn't criticize crazy left-wing fads because they were afraid for their jobs

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Last week, Washington   Post   media critic   Erik Wemple   wrote a column revisiting the New York Times’ sacking of its opinion editor James Bennet in 2020. Bennet had made some mistakes during his tenure, but he was fired in response to demands by   Times   staffers angry that his page had published an op-ed by Republican senator Tom Cotton advocating for the National Guard to be used to prevent rioting and looting.

Wemple’s column is notable for two things. First, his reporting establishes that a “fact-checking” exercise the   Times   used as its pretext for withdrawing the op-ed was farcical. The op-ed had already been fact checked before publication, and the second fact check was designed to come up with reasons to support a decision that publisher A.G. Sulzberger had already made. (Indeed, the “fact checkers,” Wemple reports, seemed disappointed their second search failed to turn up anything useful.)

That the   Times   was inventing new standards on the fly was perfectly obvious at the time. Why didn’t Wemple make this point then? This is the second, and more interesting, revelation from his column. He bluntly confesses his “posture was one of cowardice and midcareer risk management.”

Wemple may be alone in publishing this admission, but he is not alone in believing it. Many people have shared similar beliefs with me, especially in the angry summer of 2020. It is an unhealthy culture that forces people to suppress their doubts and mouth platitudes for fear of losing their livelihoods.

But the truth is Wemple’s fears were hardly imaginary. In recent years, many journalists lost their jobs as a result of internal social panics even more irrational than the Cotton episode. The Philadelphia   Inquirer   purged its top editor after its architecture critic wrote a column mourning the destruction of buildings during the George Floyd protests. The   Times   pushed out its   lead science reporter   in the middle of a pandemic because a group of prep-school teens he was leading on a foreign trip complained about his centrist politics and having quoted (but not used) a racial slur.

The   Post   itself had two of its most beloved and decorated staffers retire suddenly after becoming the targets of progressive anger. Gene Weingarten, its Pulitzer-winning humor columnist, wrote a ham-fisted column trying to poke fun at himself for not liking Indian food, which despite his apology set off a wave of calls for him to be fired and replaced with a person of color. Weingarten quietly retired shortly thereafter. The   Post   also ran a bizarre story about the fact that   editorial cartoonist Tom Toles   threw a Halloween party at which one guest he barely knew showed up in a costume as “Megyn Kelly in blackface.” A few months later, Toles retired.

I don’t know exactly what happened in all these episodes. Some of them are complicated. It wouldn’t surprise me if some people responded to internal outrage by deciding they’d had enough of it, but were never told explicitly they couldn’t keep their job.

I am quite sure there are more such incidents that have gone unreported. When I stumbled on the news of   David Shor’s firing   in 2020, one thing that struck me was that nobody wanted to talk about it. Since these purges occur at institutions whose staff are overwhelmingly on the left, most of the victims in these cases have beliefs that place them somewhere from the center to the left of the political spectrum. They usually don’t want to become famous for being a victim of cancel culture. Indeed, becoming a martyr on Fox News compounds the “social death” that many of these victims experience.

What Wemple’s confession reveals is that these purges have a multiplier effect: For every person humiliated or fired for a small or nonexistent offense, many other people will refuse to criticize even transparently absurd left-wing pieties.

Denouncing the arson and looting that often sprung up around the George Floyd protests violated one such taboo. Even today, many progressives continue to defend Bennet’s firing and the response to the op-ed as just and necessary while refusing to admit the actual position at issue.   Tom Scocca , in a column headlined “James Bennet Was Wrong and It Was Good He Lost His Job,” describes the op-ed like so: “Cotton called for the federal government to deploy the military against the people protesting the police murder of George Floyd.”   Jonathan Katz   writes that Bennet “published an op-ed by Sen. Tom Cotton calling for the U.S. military to crush the nationwide protests that erupted in response to the police murder of George Floyd.”

These descriptions are factually untrue, which is ironic, given that Katz’s headline is “James Bennet and the rewriting of 2020.” Cotton’s op-ed explicitly called for the National Guard to stop rioting and looting and to protect peaceful protest. “A majority who seek to protest peacefully shouldn’t be confused with bands of miscreants,” Cotton wrote. “But the rioting has nothing to do with George Floyd, whose bereaved relatives have condemned violence.” One could argue that Cotton’s position would have inadvertently resulted in troops suppressing peaceful protesters. But it’s simply not the case that he was   calling for   this.

Cotton’s argument for sending troops to prevent destruction was not especially strong, but this does not explain the reaction to it. (The   Times   runs mediocre op-eds regularly.) The point of the backlash was to render beyond the pale any frank acknowledgment of this aspect of the demonstrations.

The motive for many progressives to follow these stifling conventions was sympathetic. If you believe   systemic racism   and inequality are the greatest crisis in America, which I do, and you also believe the racism of the Republican Party is far more dangerous than any excesses on the left, which I also do, then you might hesitate to admit to anything that might be used by Republicans to discredit the cause of racial justice. Yet that hesitation allows the most unreasonable people on the left to rope the whole progressive movement into indefensible and self-discrediting positions.

The George Floyd protests are hardly the only subject for which this dynamic has prevailed. Progressives decided that the hypothesis that   COVID-19 may have originated in a laboratory   rather than zoonotically was “racist” — even though this was a purely scientific question, the evidence was and is murky, and it was easier to imagine racist behavior resulting from a theory blaming COVID on Chinese cultural practices than a theory blaming China’s government. Journalists at mainstream organs followed this convention, essentially turning a scientific question into a political one. When institutions adopt   illiberal norms of debate   that make it impossible to challenge an accusation of racism or sexism, they open themselves inevitably to abuse.

I believe the cultural pressures that produced these errors are   in remission . But they haven’t disappeared. As evidenced by the likes of Scocca and Katz, there remains a deep-seated impulse on the left to defend or deny illiberal norms. They insist the wave of hysterical accusations, overpolicing of language, and empowered outrage mobs were a figment of the critics’ imaginations, or that these things happened but were actually good, or perhaps, somehow, both. As people in these institutions begin to lose their fear of speaking truthfully, we need to honestly confront what happene

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

This is hopefully an encouraging sign, the recognition of  a problem. 

It's encouraging that some progressives don't actually believe some of the crazy things they say.  We, as a nation, are in trouble if the elite actually believe the madness. But the fact that they feel compelled to say it.......

We've got to get past the point where left wing journalists have to lie to keep their jobs out of fear of being "cancelled."  Spouting crazy slogans and lies out of fear has been a staple of left wing movements since the French Revolution and admitting the problem is the first step.  I can only hope that this is the first step towards ending the madness. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Calling this article boring would be putting it mildly. No one cares about this level of "inside baseball" unless it addresses one of their personal pet peeves. I would put the writer of it in that category as well. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago

Honestly I am trying to decipher the headline.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

So is it the writers intention that our media is run by the government?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

So yes you think the government runs the news.

I guess only the Liberal outlets?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.5  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @3.1.2    2 years ago
So is it the writers intention that our media is run by the government?

It's the liberal writers contention that fellow left wing journalists  censor themselves  and support what they know are  batshit crazy claims out of fear of left wingers destroying their career for heresy. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Texan1211  replied to    2 years ago
Answering your own response ?

Isn't it tiring to be told what you think all the time?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.5    2 years ago

Sounds like some conservative outlets.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

Waiting for one...

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

Do you think the media is run by the government.

Yes or no....

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

So you will not answer...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Texan1211  replied to    2 years ago

Incredibly lazy and dishonest way to debate.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.19  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

No you didn't. Do you think the government runs media.

A simple yes or no that seems to allude you.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.21  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

Where at? Show me.

As simple yes or no is not that hard.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.22  Texan1211  replied to    2 years ago

He'll ask you what your opinion is AFTER he tells you what it is.

S---m----a-----r-----t!

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.23  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.22    2 years ago

Show me where he answered my question.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3.1.25  Sunshine  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.22    2 years ago
He'll ask you what your opinion is AFTER he tells you what it is.

The infamous...."So you think"  will follow soon...jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.23    2 years ago
Show me where he answered my question.

How's about I show you something related to my post?

You: post 3.1.4

So yes you think the government runs the news.

Also you: post 3.1.11

Do you think the media is run by the government. Yes or no....

EXACTLY what I accurately stated--you tell someone what their opinion is first, then ask what their opinion is. I have seen this movie before.

Lazy, unethical, dishonest.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.27  Ender  replied to    2 years ago
That's not the glasnost definition and nowhere did I DEFINE it that way either !

No matter what you say, that is not an answer.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.28  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.26    2 years ago

What is lazy, unethical and dishonest is dodging a simple question.

With the evasion seen I damn well will come to my own conclusion, which most rational people would.

Of course this could be cleared up very simply if he just answered with a simple yes or no yet that seems to be beyond some people's grasp.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.30  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

How hard is it to just say yes or no? Holy shit.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.32  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.28    2 years ago
What is lazy, unethical and dishonest is dodging a simple question.

Maybe next time you will bother to ASK before telling someone what their opinion is. But personally, I doubt it. Nothing indicates that will occur.

With the evasion seen I damn well will come to my own conclusion, which most rational people would.

You told him what his opinion was in the second post to him on the thread. Tell me some more fantastical tales!

Of course this could be cleared up very simply if he just answered with a simple yes or no yet that seems to be beyond some people's grasp.

Maybe he doesn't think you deserve or care about his answer since you already answered it for him in your mind.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.33  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

I am satisficed that you think the government runs media.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.34  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.32    2 years ago

So you all are going to blather on about he answered it (when he didn't) and then claim I don't deserve an answer.

Why is it so hard for some people just to say yes or no instead of continued evasion....

Comical.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.36  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.34    2 years ago
So you all are going to blather on about he answered it (when he didn't) and then claim I don't deserve an answer.

i don't know how to make this any easier to comprehend.

You told him what he thought.

Any questions about that are rather moot since you have already decided in your head what he thinks. 

FFS, stop pretending you give a damn about what he thinks beyond what you have assigned to him already.

Lazy AND dishonest.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.37  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

I just know what I am dealing with now.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.38  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @3.1.8    2 years ago

Sounds like some conservative outlets.

Of course you would believe that. This is one of the more famous liberal pundits explaining in a liberal outlet that the opposite is true.

Whether it affects your prejudices or not is up to you. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.39  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.36    2 years ago

I didn't tell him shit. With evasion one can draw conclusions.

I will ask you the same question. Can you answer?

Do you think the government runs media?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.41  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.38    2 years ago

My point was all media has their bias.

There are conservative outlets as well as Liberal ones.

To only put blame on one side of the isle and not the other (when they both do the same things) is disingenuous. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.42  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

Really? Knowing something about a person makes them a thing?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.44  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

No, you read things into the comment that weren't there.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.45  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.39    2 years ago
I didn't tell him shit.

Well, then, you should alert the site's owners because someone posted THIS under YOUR name, and I know how important the truth is to you and all:

So yes you think the government runs the news. I guess only the Liberal outlets?

Were any of the other posts under your name written by this mystery writer?

Tell Perrie, she can probably figure out who is doing that horrible thing to you.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.46  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @3.1.41    2 years ago

Is the NYT supposed to be a far left partisan outlet? Doesn't they claim to be journalists?

If the premier news outlet in the country censoring what it knows to be true to appease left wingers and save their careers  doesn't bother you, there's not much to say.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.47  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.44    2 years ago
No, you read things into the comment that weren't there

Oh, now THAT is simply hilarious!!!!!

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.49  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.45    2 years ago

When the person in question could outright say what they believe you may have a point. Until I hear a simple answer that would clear it up, yes I will draw my own conclusions. Not a hard thing to do like you all make it out to be.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.50  Texan1211  replied to    2 years ago

Probably that mystery writer again, posting stuff under his name.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.51  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @3.1.41    2 years ago
My point was all media has their bias.

Completely agree.

To only put blame on one side of the isle and not the other (when they both do the same things) is disingenuous. ,

Exactly, like many commenters here.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.52  Ender  replied to    2 years ago

Very simple. If you do something it is what you did.....

If you think something it is what you think...

Holy crap.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.53  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.33    2 years ago
I am satisficed that you think the government runs media.

Well, then, why bother to keep asking again and again and again???????

That is rather silly and senseless.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.54  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.46    2 years ago

I never read the times so I really can't say about bias. I know the post leans left.

I agree with you that if they are intentionally skipping stories or something that is wrong. Yet if the only problem is a left wing outlet doesn't want to run a right slanted op ed, I don't see it as that big of a deal.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.55  Ender  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.51    2 years ago

We are all guilty of it.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago
y. No one cares about this level of "inside baseball"

Yeah, I can see why left wing media admitting they suppress truth out of fear of the left wing mob doesn't interest you. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3    2 years ago

Your one track mind doesnt really interest me, especially when you regularly excuse the right wing clowns who perpetrate lies on a minute by minute basis. 

Donald Trump himself is now spreading the Paul Pelosi conspiracy now, today.  How about them apples? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3.3  JohnRussell  replied to    2 years ago
You know it, I know it

[Deleted]

Revillug
Freshman Participates
3.3.5  Revillug  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3.3    2 years ago

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3.4  Sunshine  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 years ago
Calling this article boring would be putting it mildly.

I am sure you do find it boring.