╌>

New York City to start hospitalizing more mentally ill people involuntarily

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  36 comments

By:   Alejandra O'Connell-Domenech (The Hill)

New York City to start hospitalizing more mentally ill people involuntarily
New York City Mayor Eric Adams (D) revealed a new plan Tuesday to remove people with severe, untreated mental illness from city streets and subways. Under the plan, New York City agencies would be able to involuntarily hospitalize people who appear to be mentally ill and are a threat to themselves, even if they…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

New York City Mayor Eric Adams (D) revealed a new plan Tuesday to remove people with severe, untreated mental illness from city streets and subways.

Under the plan, New York City agencies would be able to involuntarily hospitalize people who appear to be mentally ill and are a threat to themselves, even if they do not pose a risk to others around them.

In a Tuesday press conference, Adams directed city agencies such as the New York Police Department and emergency responders to bring the mentally ill to hospitals for extended emergency care.

Adams said that the city has a "moral obligation" to help those with severe mental illness get the "treatment and care" they need.

"The common misunderstanding persists that we cannot provide involuntary assistance unless the person is violent, suicidal or presenting a risk of imminent harm," Adams said.

"This myth must be put to rest. Going forward, we will make every effort to assist those who are suffering from mental illness and whose illness is endangering them by preventing them from meeting their basic human needs," he said.

Adams added that the city will continue to try to convince the street homeless suffering from mental illness to "accept help voluntarily."

Training for police officers, emergency medical services and other medical personnel will begin immediately, Adams said. But in a memorandum posted online, city officials said case law does not provide "extensive guidance" on removals for mental health evaluations.

According to the document, precedent does suggest a few circumstances that would support the claim that a person is unable to support their basic needs due to mental health issues, including "serious untreated physical injury, unawareness or delusional misapprehension of surroundings, or unawareness or delusional misapprehension of physical condition or health."

In New York City, homeless people with mental illness are often brought to hospitals and discharged a few days later once their condition improves slightly, Adams said in the press conference.

Under the new plan, hospitals will be told to keep those patients longer and release them only when a long-term plan for their care has been settled, The New York Times reported.

"When we hospitalize those in crisis, it will be with a sense of mission to help them heal and to prepare them for an appropriate community placement," Adams added.

Adams's plan has drawn sharp criticism from some advocacy groups that question the legality and the efficacy of the new approach.

"The mayor is playing fast and loose with the legal rights of New Yorkers and is not dedicating the resources necessary to address the mental health crises that affect our communities, " said New York Civil Liberties Union Executive Director Donna Lieberman in a statement.

"The federal and state constitutions impose strict limits on the government's ability to detain people experiencing mental illness — limits that the mayor's proposed expansion is likely to violate. Forcing people into treatment is a failed strategy for connecting people to long-term treatment and care," Lieberman added.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

I think I finally found something to give Eric Adams credit for.

Chalk up one move for normalcy!

Step 2 needs to be keeping them away from the general public!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

that sounds like an pretty effective way of dealing with election and insurrection deniers...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago

How about inflation, crime and open border deniers?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago

A Democrat isn't going to round up other Democrats.  That's how they get "suicided" while in PC.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago
that sounds like an pretty effective way of dealing with election and insurrection deniers...

Yeah, if only someone like that suddenly became the leader of the Democrats in the House.

Oh, damn, wait just a minute.......................

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.2  Drakkonis  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

What could possibly go wrong???

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Can they go to Chicago and pick up Lori Lightfoot?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    2 years ago

The sad fact is that our 4 largest cities elect people like Lori Lightfoot.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.1    2 years ago

Very true!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Comment was removed as off topic and no value as was the response to this comment. Please stay on topic [ph]

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 years ago

[deleted]

George
Junior Expert
3  George    2 years ago

It's amazing how on simple article about the Mayor of NY doing something positive and good for the people of his city, there are a bunch of TDS suffering fools who have to make it about trump. FFS they should be more worried than trump about getting locked up for mental issues

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  George @3    2 years ago

And we treat them like they were serious people.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2  Texan1211  replied to  George @3    2 years ago
It's amazing how on simple article about the Mayor of NY doing something positive and good for the people of his city, there are a bunch of TDS suffering fools who have to make it about trump.

Not amazing.

SOP.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    2 years ago

And here I thought the right’s most feared phrase was “I’m from the government and I’m here to help.”  

George
Junior Expert
4.1  George  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4    2 years ago

That's because the lefts favorite line is " I'm from the government and I'm here to take care of you" Subtext is, because you are too stupid to take care of yourself, so the right is obviously afraid of the Government fucking up their lives, where the left embraces it because even the government is better than their judgement.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  George @4.1    2 years ago

I’m from the left and that is not my favorite line.  It’s not even in the top 1,000.  The right otoh has embraced Ronald Reagan’s uttering ever since it fell out of his brain and landed on his tongue.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.1.1    2 years ago
The right otoh has embraced Ronald Reagan’s uttering ever since it fell out of his brain and landed on his tongue.

My personal favorite and still very, very relevant today is:

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”

― Ronald Reagan

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    2 years ago

Coming from a senile old B-movie hack who based important decisions on astrology.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @4.1.3    2 years ago
Coming from a man who based decisions on astrology.

Sorry, but that rather accurate observation had nothing, nothing at all, to do with astrology.

But it is nice to see so many liberals intent on proving him right even today!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.4    2 years ago

Actually, I think it was Nancy that was into astrology.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago
“I’m from the government and I’m here to help.”

Where I work, we also lie and reply with, "And we're happy to have you".

squiggy
Junior Silent
6  squiggy    2 years ago

... and they didn't think much of stop and frisk...

giphy.gif

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  squiggy @6    2 years ago

Scrubs was a great show!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    2 years ago

This article made me think about mental hospital movies I've watched.  Here are some:  One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Spellbound, David and Lisa, K-Pax, The Snake Pit, Awakenings and Shutter Island.  

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
8  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

Hopefully AOC is the first one rounded up

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1  JBB  replied to  Right Down the Center @8    2 years ago

original

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
8.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @8.1    2 years ago

So you have trouble differentiating heads exploding and ridicule I see.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
9  arkpdx    2 years ago

Does New York City have 8,000,000 psychiatric beds available ?