╌>

Michigan and California institutions ban the word 'field' as racist

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  last year  •  55 comments

By:   Restoring America

Michigan and California institutions ban the word 'field' as racist
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and the University of Southern California's school of social work have taken steps to ban the word "field" on official documents, citing racist implications.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Censorship Michigan and California institutions ban the word 'field' as racist ByJeremiah Poff, Education Reporter January 11, 2023 05:15 PM

• Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Email
  • Print

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and the University of Southern California's school of social work have taken steps to ban the word "field" on official documents, citing racist implications.

In a Monday memo, the University of Southern California's Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work informed students, faculty, and staff that it would no longer use the word "field" or "field work" from its curriculum and would now use the term "practicum" instead because the word "field" was linked to slavery.

"This change supports anti-racist social work practice by replacing language that would be considered anti-Black or anti-immigrant in favor of inclusive language," the letter said. "Language can be powerful, and phrases such as 'going into the field' or 'field work' may have connotations for descendants of slavery and immigrant workers that are not benign."

Today, @uscsocialwork sent out this letter announcing that they will no longer use the word "field" (as in "conducting field work") because it's perceived as racist. Is this with merit or empty virtue signaling? @elonmusk@IngrahamAnglepic.twitter.com/kgM9p4MAb5
— Houman David Hemmati, MD, PhD (@houmanhemmati) January 10, 2023

In a statement to the Washington Examiner, Cherise Trump, the executive director of the free speech organization Speech First, blasted the university's policing of language, noting that "the absurdity of 'approved speech' coming from our universities often stops people from understanding the significance of just how bad it has actually become for students on these campuses."

Trump, who is not related to the former president, added: "Administrators are employing despotic tactics not only to suppress students' voices, but to also teach students that because anything can be 'offensive,' students should let universities be the arbiter of what is right and wrong. It is imperative that these desires to censor and compel speech on campuses are taken seriously. Board members, faculty, state, and federal lawmakers need to act when they see their universities putting speech codes in place, no matter how ridiculous."

The censorship of the word "field" was not limited to USC. A similar story unfolded in Michigan, where officials at the state's Department of Health and Human Services issued a memorandum on Jan. 4, which said the department would no longer use the terms "field work" or "field worker" due to its supposed racial connotation," the Washington Free Beacon reported .

"Recently, staff and stakeholders have raised concerns about the use of the term 'field worker' and its implications for descendants of enslaved Black and Brown individuals," the memo says. "While the widespread use of this term is not intended to be harmful, we cannot ignore the impact its use has on our employees."

The department said staff should use the terms "community/local office" and "community/local staff."

"This action is a small step towards creating a culture that values the contributions and voice of all employees," the memo read.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    last year

Isn't everyone ecstatic that our colleges have their priorities in such good order?

THIS is the stuff that makes sane people shake their heads and wonder about the mental faculties of these woke fools.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @1    last year

I read this earlier this morning. Field work is racist? LMMFAO. What dumbasses.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1    last year

I worry about the mental faculties of MAGA. 

Nobody but idiots cares about "wokeness" the way MAGA does. 

I am a liberal and I never give a shit about  culture war "wokeness" one way or the other.  Obsessing about "wokeness" is an internet thing. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2    last year
I worry about the mental faculties of MAGA. 

When you can think of little else, of course you do.

Nobody but idiots cares about "wokeness" the way MAGA does.

No, it is the idiots perpetuating this nonsense, you know, woke idiots.

Why else would they persist to your cheerleading?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    last year

I'm not dumb enough to care about what happens in university settings that have nothing to do with me.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.2    last year
I'm not dumb enough to care about what happens in university settings that have nothing to do with me. 

Are you smart enough to recognize the ramifications of these stupid-ass woke policies, though?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.3    last year

what ramifications is that [deleted]  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.5  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.4    last year
what ramifications is that einstein ?

Your question in answer to my question tells me all I needed to know, thank you for confirming.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.6  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.4    last year
einstein ? 

That's Texan1211 to you.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.5    last year

What do you know? Im sure everyone has been wondering that. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.6    last year

You said there are ramifications of changing "field" to "practicum". So what are they? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.9  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.7    last year
What do you know? Im sure everyone has been wondering that. 

The intelligent people wondering simply read my posts and are able to figure it out all on their own.

When you insist on being so sure, you bring me back to the Reagan days and something he said about our liberal friends.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    last year
you know, woke idiots.

You mean liberals?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.11  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.8    last year
You said there are ramifications of changing "field" to "practicum".

You should probably read what I actually wrote rather than what you invented.

Here, I will try to help you out again:

Are you smart enough to recognize the ramifications of these stupid-ass woke policies, though?

If you choose to debate, please confine yourself to what I actually write.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.12  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2.10    last year
You mean liberals?

I mean anyone dumb enough to participate in this chicanery, although it does appear the vast majority of them are liberals.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.13  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.12    last year

So, liberals.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.14  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2.13    last year

I guess conservatives just don't see the value in such inane empty gestures that accomplish nothing.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.15  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.14    last year

Well, when you celebrate somebody like Biden, you have to take credit from even the most trivial and moronic stuff.  This just happens to be their shiny object of the day.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.16  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.11    last year

Changing field to practicum is a woke policy isnt it? So what are the ramifications? But you can talk about ramifications in general if that makes it easier for you. 

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.17  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.16    last year

Fuck off.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.18  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.17    last year

Well you have kept your record of not being able to actually explain shit that you claim intact. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.19  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.7    last year

notice no one ever wonders what you know?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.20  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.18    last year

I can't understand it for you.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1    last year

Pretty soon crossing ones eyes will be considered racist in one form or another. Things are just rapidly getting way out of hand these days!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    last year
Things are just rapidly getting way out of hand these days!

It's freaking nuts.

Can you even IMAGINE the reactions your grandparents would have to some of this crap?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    last year

So in my 26 years as US Army FIELD Artillery and the field work associated with that has been racist?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    last year

About like my 20 years in US Navy Medical/ Radiological Technology field. If that makes me racist, I proudly accept it!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    last year

Wasn't military service considered racist at one point?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    last year

Racism is over if this is an issue,

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Texan1211    last year

The sheer amount of stupidity flowing from woke colleges and governments is simply mind-boggling.

And we wonder why college-educated people are often ill-prepared to face and function in the real world.

I would LOVE to meet the idiot who was ACTUALLY offended by the term.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @4    last year
And we wonder why college-educated people are often ill-prepared to face and function in the real world.

These folks aren't educated ... they're indoctrinated.

evilone
Professor Guide
5  evilone    last year

These word banning things are silly - this news banning "field" along with Governor Huckabee banning "Latinx" yesterday are stupid. Then again, Since I don't live in Arkansas, California or Michigan I don't really care all that much. They can keep their silliness and I'll keep using all the words.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1  Jasper2529  replied to  evilone @5    last year

Latinx is an invented word for the radical left "woke world" that even Latinos and Latinas don't like. 

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.1  evilone  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1    last year

I don't care. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  evilone @5.1.1    last year

"I don't care."

Of course not.

dennissmith
Freshman Silent
5.2  dennissmith  replied to  evilone @5    last year

Absolutely agree

Hallux
PhD Principal
6  Hallux    last year

When it comes to banning both sides have gone over the cliff of nonorganic cancel-culture wars. To quote the O.E.D., 'cunts'.

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    last year

WOW!  I now own a racist plot of ground

Hallux
PhD Principal
7.1  Hallux  replied to  charger 383 @7    last year

No, you still own a field, the word practicum refers to a field of study. No one will ask you how many acres your 'practicum' includes.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
8  Jeremy Retired in NC    last year

So it's a Football  / Baseball / Soccer "practicum" now?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8.1  Snuffy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @8    last year

They will definitely need to change the name of the stadiums now,  as field is a synonym for stadium.  Can't have that in our woke new world...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @8    last year

Someone's going to have rename Costner's movie "Practicum of Dreams". Also:

• Field Practicum (schools)
  • Home Practicum advantage
  • Left, center, right Practicums
  • Potter's Practicum
  • Level the playing Practicum

The list is endless!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.2    last year

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9  Drinker of the Wry    last year

Field is the new F - word.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9    last year

Lol!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
10  Just Jim NC TttH    last year

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif     jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
11  charger 383    last year

Next step is ban on cotton shirts.

Hallux
PhD Principal
11.1  Hallux  replied to  charger 383 @11    last year

You are getting carried away with trying to be funny.

charger 383
Professor Silent
11.1.1  charger 383  replied to  Hallux @11.1    last year

This is something that should be made fun of

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
11.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  charger 383 @11.1.1    last year

Amen to that!

shona1
PhD Quiet
12  shona1    last year

Morning..

Field??...🤣🤣

Nahh..its a paddock...there you go... fixed it again for you mob..you will be speaking Aussie in no time..🦘

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13  Buzz of the Orient    last year

I remember from when I was a kid a doctor telling my father that the only reason insane people are locked up is because the rest of us are the majority.  I'm beginning to think he was right. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14  Buzz of the Orient    last year

I'm kind of surprised to see this coming from a university that names its team after a brand of condoms. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
14.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14    last year

You’ve got it backwards Buzz,  USC Trojans predate the condoms by four years, 1912 vs. 1916.  Perhaps the Fey and Young company named their condoms after the football team.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @14.1    last year

LOL.  Thanks for the research.  However, if I were in charge of the USC team, I would have eventually changed its name because of the association, or on the other hand, maybe they WANT that association. 

Another bit of history, whether or not mythological, is that the Trojans were LOSERS.  After centuries of the Greeks being unable to penetrate the walls of Troy, they came up with the Trojan horse, and accessing the city hidden inside it, destroyed Troy. 

My daughter got one of her Master's degrees at USC.  Rosa Parks spoke at her graduation.