╌>

In reversal, US poised to approve Abrams tanks for Ukraine | AP News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  89 comments

By:   AP NEWS

In reversal, US poised to approve Abrams tanks for Ukraine | AP News
WASHINGTON (AP) — In what would be a reversal, the Biden administration is poised to approve sending M1 Abrams tanks to Ukraine, U.S. officials said Tuesday, as international reluctance to send tanks to the battlefront against the Russians begins to erode.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON (AP) — In what would be a reversal, the Biden administration is poised to approve sending M1 Abrams tanks to Ukraine, U.S. officials said Tuesday, as international reluctance to send tanks to the battlefront against the Russians begins to erode. A decision to send a bit more than 30 tanks could be announced as soon as Wednesday, though it could take months for the tanks to be delivered.

U.S. officials said details are still being worked out. One official said the tanks would be bought under an upcoming Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative package, which provides longer-range funding for weapons and equipment to be purchased from commercial vendors.

The U.S. announcement is expected in coordination with an announcement by Germany that it will approve Poland's request to transfer German-made Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine, according to one official. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision has not yet been made public.

By agreeing to send the Abrams at an as-yet unspecified time under the assistance initiative, the administration is able to meet German Chancellor Olaf Scholz's demand for an American commitment without having to send the tanks immediately.

Much of the aid sent so far in the 11-month-old war has been through a separate program drawing on Pentagon stocks to get weapons more quickly to Ukraine. But even under that program, it would take months to get tanks to Ukraine and to get Ukrainian forces trained on them. It wasn't clear Tuesday how soon the U.S. will start training Ukrainian troops on the Abrams and roughly how soon they can get to the battlefront.

Until now, the U.S. has resisted providing its own M1 Abrams tanks to Ukraine, citing extensive and complex maintenance and logistical challenges with the high-tech vehicles. Washington believes it would be more productive to send German Leopards since many allies have them and Ukrainian troops would need less training than on the more difficult Abrams.

Just last week, Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Colin Kahl told reporters that the Abrams is a complicated, expensive, difficult to maintain and hard to train on piece of equipment. One thing Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has been very focused on, he said, "is that we should not be providing the Ukrainians systems they can't repair, they can't sustain, and that they, over the long term, can't afford, because it's not helpful."

A U.S. official familiar with White House thinking said the administration's initial hesitancy was based on concerns about the requisite training and the sustainment of the tanks. The official added that the administration believes that such plans are now in place, but it could take time to implement them.

At the Pentagon, spokesman Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder said he had nothing to announce on any U.S. decision regarding Abrams tanks. But he said, "anytime that we've provided Ukraine with a type of system, we've provided the training and sustainment capabilities with that."

The administration's reversal comes just days after a coalition of more than 50 senior defense officials from Europe and beyond met in Germany to discuss Ukraine's war needs, and battle tanks were a prime topic.

Ukrainian leaders have been urgently requesting tanks, but Germany had resisted mounting pressure either to supply its own tanks or clear the way for other countries, such as Poland, to send the German-made tanks from their own stocks. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the deployment of Western tanks would trigger "unambiguously negative" consequences.

Defense leaders from the countries that have Leopard 2 tanks met with the Germans during the Friday conference at Ramstein Air Base in an effort to hammer out an agreement.

On Sunday, Berlin indicated it wouldn't stand in the way if other countries wanted to send the Leopard 2 tanks to Kyiv. Germany needs to agree for the tanks to be given to Ukraine, which is not a member of NATO.

U.S. and German officials have given mixed signals about whether the U.S. and German decisions are linked, and whether Berlin was hesitant to send its tanks unless the U.S. sent Abrams.

Polish Defense Minister Mariusz Baszczak said Tuesday that Poland has officially requested permission from Germany to transfer its Leopard 2 battle tanks to Ukraine.

German officials confirmed to the dpa news agency they had received the application and said it would be assessed "with due urgency." German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said Sunday that Berlin wouldn't seek to stop Poland from providing the high-tech armor to Kyiv.

German officials declined to comment on the reports of a tank deal. The news weekly Der Spiegel reported Tuesday, without citing a source, that Germany will provide Ukraine with at least one company of Leopard 2 tanks from its own army's stock. A company comprises 15 tanks.

Scholz is due to deliver an address to parliament Wednesday and field questions from lawmakers, many of whom have been pressing the government to join allies in providing the tanks to Ukraine.

Lawmakers in Congress have also been pushing the U.S. to beef up its aid to Ukraine.

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday "it's time, past time" for the Biden administration and allies to send more military aid to Ukraine, and that the U.S. must provide more tanks and weapons to help Ukraine "win this war."

"It's time, past time, for the Biden administration and our allies to get serious about helping Ukraine finish the job and retake their country."

The likely plans to send the Abrams were first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    last year

Maybe it's time to ask everyone if theyve built their fallout shelter yet?  The next time a Russian nuclear sub wanders into American waters, its captain won't be Theodore Bikel or Sean Connery. . 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    last year

Given the Russian Navy seems to be run the same way the Russian Army; chances are it would sink with all hands on board off the US coast before even firing a shot.

But I will agree with you on the US repeatedly poking the Russian Bear.

If Putin is as weak and vulnerable as the so called experts like to claim he is; then he very easily could end the planet if his very limited goals in Ukraine become unobtainable. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    last year

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    last year

LOL!

No, I'm not going to the trouble. I want to be taken out at the first blast.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.3.1  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.3    last year
I want to be taken out at the first blast.

Lol I doubt any blast is much of a concern in Maine

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.3.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Freefaller @2.3.1    last year

Exactly, I don’t want to go in the first salvo.  I want to read the comments of survivors here before deporting.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.3.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Freefaller @2.3.1    last year

Nuclear winter would probably be good for lobster.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.3.4  Freefaller  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.3.3    last year

Mmmm nuclear lobster with butter sauce.  You're probably they are bottom feeders after all

Ender
Professor Principal
2.3.5  Ender  replied to  Freefaller @2.3.1    last year

I kinda want to live and fight zombies.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.3.6  al Jizzerror  replied to  Freefaller @2.3.1    last year
Lol I doubt any blast is much of a concern in Maine

I had a blast in Maine.  There is a great dispensary there with outstanding weed.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.3.7  al Jizzerror  replied to  Freefaller @2.3.4    last year
Mmmm nuclear lobster with butter sauce.

If you add a grain of Plutonium to your lobster pot, they will shed their shells and provide a delicious last meal.

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.3.8  shona1  replied to  al Jizzerror @2.3.7    last year

Arvo al...ahh you have got to live dangerously...I just came back from a swim with a 2.5 metre great white..(he is just a little tacker)...

He is sloshing around the bay after two dead whales where I go swimming...he did chomp on a boat engine probably teething!!

Wonder what a touch of plutonium would do to him..

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.3.9  al Jizzerror  replied to  shona1 @2.3.8    last year
I just came back from a swim with a 2.5 metre great white..(he is just a little tacker)...

Holy shit!

This is why Jaws wasn't filmed in Australia:

Ender
Professor Principal
2.3.10  Ender  replied to  al Jizzerror @2.3.9    last year

Eh, I just worry about them land sharks. They knock on your door and try to trick you.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
2.3.11  al Jizzerror  replied to  Ender @2.3.10    last year
land sharks.

Oh, don'y worry "land sharks" are just a myth.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.3.12  Freefaller  replied to  Ender @2.3.5    last year
I kinda want to live and fight zombies.

Lol I with you for regular zombies but nuclearated ones are much more dangerous.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3  Right Down the Center    last year

I will say again what I have said since the start of this war.  Either give them what they need to win or give them nothing and let them lose with the minimum loss of life and infrastructure.  The piecemeal approach is good for no one.  Not Russia, not Ukraine, not Europe and not the US.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @3    last year

On one aspect I beg to differ with you.  It's heaven on earth for the arms industry. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4  Jeremy Retired in NC    last year

With the high level of maintenance the M1 requires, I see most of these being broken within a few weeks.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ronin2  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4    last year

I don't envy the US soldiers that will be forced to train the Ukraine military that is used to operating Russian tanks. The learning curve is going to be ridiculous.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1    last year

The training for US Soldiers is 5 weeks.  In that they learn tank operations, armor offensive and defensive tactics, field combat strategy, and map reading.  I don't think 5 weeks will be enough to train the Ukraine military on just the use of the M1.  

The training for the mechanics of the M1 is 24 weeks.  It's almost a given this training won't be given.  Like I said, these will be broken down in a matter of weeks.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.2  JBB  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1    last year

Do you envy the Russians who will be killed by the Ukrainians?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @4.1.2    last year
Do you envy the Russians who will be killed by the Ukrainians?

WTF does that have to do with what Ronin and I are talking about?  

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.4  JBB  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.3    last year

The article is about the US sending tanks to Ukrainians to kill damned Russian invaders. What are you and Ronin discussing?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @4.1.4    last year

[deleted]

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
4.1.6  Right Down the Center  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.5    last year

[deleted]

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.1    last year
The training for US Soldiers is 5 weeks. 

Yes and then he will go into a tank that has at least two experienced tankers.  Training will be very challenging.  The Leopard is far more suitable both from a training perspective and maintainability.  It also is more appropriate for dismounts hugging the the rear, it gets really hot behind the M-1.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.7    last year

and as a diesel already operated in almost every NATO country, transportation of the Leopard to the Ukraine will be infinitely easier and quicker.

Even US tank commanders in Germany cross trained on the Leopard2 praised them.

Better optics, better audio, equally lethal as the M1, regular diesel fuel compared to the 

jet grade fuel specific to the M1 are all advantages.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.7    last year

Poland currently has over 300 Abrams on order from the US as well as 189 K2 MBT from S. Korea the first of which arrived in Poland in Nov/Dec 2022.

Poland has around 250 Leopard 2 tanks and it looks like they are being replaced with the Abrams and K2.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.8    last year

Yes, the Leopard 2 is great tank and more suitable for their mission for multiple reasons.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @4.1.8    last year

I was reading some articles that said the Abrams can use any fuel, not just jet fuel. Gasoline, diesel, kerosene etc, and the Australia military is using diesel in their Abrams.

I'm trying to find more informative on this.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.12  arkpdx  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.1.3    last year

Personally I don't give a damn about the Russian soldiers that will be killed by those tanks. They have no business being where they are. They have the choice to either surrender or die. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.13  arkpdx  replied to  Kavika @4.1.11    last year

Jet engines can use any type of fuel that you can spray fine enough throu a nozzle. If you could powder coal fine enough it would work. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.14  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @4.1.11    last year

Here is a link to an excellent article on how the M1 works and yes, it can use any type of fuel.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @4.1.14    last year

Tanks for the memories, Kavika.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.16  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.10    last year

More modern Leopards fitted with a 50 cal require a crew member to expose himself to use the weapon.

The major edge goes to the M1series firing depleted uranium.

But since most of the cannons are compatible if not identical Rhinelaner M256

there's nothing to stop the Ukrainians from acquiring DU rounds for the Leopards,

right? 

I am sure they aren't as squeamish as the Germans when it comes to anything nuclear. 

The Russians have every reason to be worried.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.17  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.16    last year
right? 

Yes.

The Russians have every reason to be worried.

Yes.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.18  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @4.1.2    last year

As JRINC stated.

How many Russians will be killed before the M1 tanks break down; and have to be taken back to Poland to have the US military repair?

This is going to be ridiculously expensive for US taxpayers. While you might not care some of us do.

Why don't you ask our supposed European allies where the fuck are they with sending military hardware, munitions, logistics, or even just money to Ukraine? Germany will send Leopard tanks to Ukraine- but that will take 3 months.

The announcement was matched by the US. On Wednesday, President Joe Biden said that he was providing 31 M1 Abrams tanks to Ukraine, reversing the administration’s longstanding resistance to requests from Kyiv for the highly sophisticated but maintenance-heavy vehicles. The German army has 320 Leopard 2 tanks in its possession but does not reveal how many would be battle ready, a spokeswoman for the Ministry of Defense previously told CNN.

So 31 Abrams and how many ever Leopard 2 tanks Germany can scrape together and get battle ready. Considering the state of the German military just how many do you think they will send?

Just how much is it going to cost the US taxpayer to prop up the pro fascist corrupt Ukraine government?

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy fired at least nine top officials on Tuesday as his government battles claims of bribery and officials splurging on lavish lifestyles during the war.

Four deputy ministers and five regional governors were sacked by Ukraine's cabinet on Tuesday, according to the Telegram channel of Oleg Nemchinov, the secretary of the cabinet of ministers.

Ukraine's deputy prosecutor general, Oleksiy Symonenko, also announced his resignation on the same day, the BBC reported.

The wave of dismissals and resignations comes as some of Ukraine's top leaders were accused of buying military food at inflated prices and taking luxury holidays as their countrymen fight Russia's invasion.

In December, Symonenko went on holiday to Spain using a Mercedes owned by a prominent Ukrainian businessman, The Guardian reported.

A spokesperson for Ukraine's border guard was also maligned for partying in Paris as the war continued in eastern Ukraine, per Bloomberg.

In response, Zelenskyy on Sunday vowed to stamp out longstanding corruption within Ukraine's leadership. 

Ukraine would see "no return to the way things used to be," he said in a video address , adding that the coming week would be the "time of appropriate decisions."

"Of course, now the main focus is the issue of defense, this is the issue of foreign policy, this is the issue of war," he said. "But this does not mean that I do not see and hear what is being said in society at various levels, both at the central level and in the regions."

On Monday, Zelenskyy banned officials from traveling abroad until the end of the war, except for when performing government duties.

"If they want to rest now, they will rest outside the civil service," he said.

Another sacked official, former Deputy Defense Minister Vyacheslav Shapovalov, resigned after Ukrainian newspapers reported that he had purchased food for the military at prices inflated two or three times higher than in grocery stores.

Keep feeding the Ukrainian pig. I am sure none of are hard earned tax payer money will make it's way back into our politicians', their children's, or close friends' hands./S

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.19  JBB  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.18    last year

The costs of US assistance to Ukraine? Tens of billions!

Whipping Putin and killing Russian invaders? Priceless!

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     last year

I believe that sending the M1 to Ukraine is for show purposes to prod the Germans into sending the Leopard and allowing other countries to send theirs. IE, Poland, Spain, Finland, Denmark, etc. and it worked. 

The two variants of the Leopard the 44 and 55 are being sent to Ukraine with the 55 in lesser numbers but a ''super Leopard'' tank. 

Jeremy the US is currently training the Ukraine army in combined arms in  Grafenwoehr, Germany.

The Ukrainians have proven that they are very adaptive in using new weapons provided by the west and also in inventing some of their own in the middle of a brutal war. The Russians underestimated Ukraine as have the west to a degree. What we have seen over the past year is no matter how brutal the Russians are Ukraine has destroyed a good part of the Russian army with a mishmash of weapons and the Russians are now relying on the Wagner Group to do most of the fighting. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6  Nerm_L    last year

What happened to the tanks that have already been supplied to Ukraine?  Ukraine has received more than 200 T-72 tanks from various NATO arsenals.  And Ukrainians have been capturing munitions that are compatible with the T-72 guns.  

It seems that the emphasis has been to replace manpower with technology.  Training on the technology takes manpower away from the battlefield.  And the real training doesn't begin until the equipment is in the field.  Ukraine doesn't have the luxury of blending new trainees into experienced units.

Zelensky has been demanding a gradual escalation in fighting technology.  That doesn't bode well for future conduct of the war.  Why not cut to the chase and deliver nukes?  That is what Ukrainians really want, after all.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.2  cjcold  replied to  Nerm_L @6    last year
Why not cut to the chase and deliver nukes?

Pretty sure that the rest of the world would rather avoid a nuclear WWIII.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.2.1  Nerm_L  replied to  cjcold @6.2    last year
Pretty sure the rest of the world would rather avoid WWIII.

Avoiding World War III would require diplomacy.  Where are the diplomats?

Winning a conventional war in Ukraine depends entirely upon Russian nuclear restraint.  Wars aren't avoided by supplying more weapons and escalating the fighting.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8  bbl-1    last year

Where are the F-16s?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.1  Split Personality  replied to  bbl-1 @8    last year

In the countries still waiting for their F35s.

Word is that the F16 training program is already in place 

US estimates are 6 months to train pilots 18 to train mechanics.

The Ukrainians say 6 weeks for pilots, mechanics in Ukraine learn on the job.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Split Personality @8.1    last year

Three days after the Russian invasion there was a report that the Dutch sent four squadrons of F-16s to Romania.  No news after that.  A year has passed. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Kavika   replied to  bbl-1 @8.1.1    last year

In August of 2022, tiny North Macedonia turned over four SU 25s fighter jets to Ukraine and a number of T 72 battle tanks. 

North Macedonia is a NATO member and has a population of  two million but is stratigic located in the Balkans.

al Jizzerror
Masters Expert
9  al Jizzerror    last year

Can I please have an M-1 Abrams Tank?

They are a fucking blast!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  al Jizzerror @9    last year

I don’t think that you can afford one or the upkeep.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.2  cjcold  replied to  al Jizzerror @9    last year

Gotta love a tank that could win an arctic drifting contest.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10  Thrawn 31    last year

I get that this was a way to get the German tanks into battle, but if we are going to be seriously sending M1s in then we better be prepared to help with the maintenance. The M1 is an amazing tank, but it takes a lot of work to keep it going.