╌>

Bruce Willis has frontotemporal dementia, condition worsens | AP News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  last year  •  11 comments

By:   AP NEWS

Bruce Willis has frontotemporal dementia, condition worsens | AP News
NEW YORK (AP) — Nearly a year after Bruce Willis' family announced that he would step away from acting after being diagnosed with aphasia, his family says his "condition has progressed."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

NEW YORK (AP) — Nearly a year after Bruce Willis' family announced that he would step away from acting after being diagnosed with aphasia, his family says his "condition has progressed."

In a statement posted Thursday, the 67-year-old actor's family said Willis has a more specific diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia.

"While this is painful, it is a relief to finally have a clear diagnosis," the statement read. "FTD is a cruel disease that many of us have never heard of and can strike anyone."

Last March, Willis' family said his aphasia had affected his cognitive abilities. The condition causes loss of the ability to understand or express speech.

In Thursday's statement, his family said communication challenges were just one symptom of frontotemporal dementia.

The Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration describes FTD as a group of brain disorders caused by degeneration of the frontal and/or temporal lobes of the brain that affects behavior, language and movement. Aphasia can be a symptom of it. The association describes frontotemporal degeneration as "an inevitable decline in functioning," with an average life expectancy of seven to 13 years after the onset of symptoms.

"Today there are no treatments for the disease, a reality that we hope can change in the years ahead," the family's statement read, adding that it can take years to get a proper diagnosis. "As Bruce's condition advances, we hope that any media attention can be focused on shining a light on this disease that needs far more awareness and research."

The statement was posted on the website for the Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration and signed by Willis' wife, Emma Heming Willis, his ex-wife Demi Moore, and his five children, Rumer, Scout, Tallulah, Mabel and Evelyn.

Over a four-decade career, Willis' movies had earned more than $5 billion at the worldwide box office. While beloved for hits like "Die Hard" and "The Sixth Sense," the prolific actor had in recent years primarily featured in direct-to-video thrillers.

"Bruce has always found joy in life — and has helped everyone he knows to do the same," the family said Thursday. "It has meant the world to see that sense of care echoed back to him and to all of us. We have been so moved by the love you have all shared for our dear husband, father, and friend during this difficult time. Your continued compassion, understanding, and respect will enable us to help Bruce live as full a life as possible."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    last year

I posted this article because it has personal relevance. 3 years ago a friend of mine was dxed with this awful disease. It makes Alzheimer's look like a walk in the park, till it kills you. 

My heart goes out to Bruce's family.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    last year

Mine too, so sad.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    last year

Come on, we know you like him. It is ok...

Haha

I joke yet I am a fan of his work. I wish that on no one.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    last year

Bruce is about the same age as my father was when it struck him.

First driving to where?  Then the aphasia...although back then the polite diagnosis was always Alzheimers.

The decline took about 5 years.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1.3.1  Freewill  replied to  Split Personality @1.3    last year
The decline took about 5 years.

Very sorry to hear that SP, my condolences my friend.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1.4  Freewill  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    last year

Mine as well.  My father was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia in 2020, and the decline in his health and ability to communicate has been surprisingly rapid.  It is a terrible thing to see someone you know to have been such a high energy very articulate person decline so quickly.  Very terrible! 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    last year

I'm quite sad as well for what he has and will be going through.  I will miss what could have been more Die Hard and Red movies.  I wonder if he named one of his children "Scout" because of "Scout" in To Kill a Mockingbird.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     last year

A sad and terrible diagnosis. My heart goes out to Bruce and his family.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    last year

Blessings to you and your family, Mr. Willis. I enjoyed your body of work

Hallux
PhD Principal
5  Hallux    last year

Being able to joust with Mary-Louise Parker amounts to a life well lived.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    last year

To honour him, my next quiz will be on the movies that Bruce Willis acted in.