╌>

Remembering Civilization

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  76 comments

Remembering Civilization
“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.”....Barack Obama

Link to Quote: https://www.ncregister.com/news/how-barack-obama-fundamentally-transformed-the-united-states

According to a recent survey conducted by
a new Wall Street Journal-NORC poll, patriotism , religious faith, having children and other priorities that helped define the national character for generations are becoming less important:

"Some 38% of respondents said patriotism was very important to them, and 39% said religion was very important. That was down sharply from when the Journal first asked the question in 1998, when 70% deemed patriotism to be very important, and 62% said so of religion. The share of Americans who say that having children, involvement in their community and hard work are very important values has also fallen. Tolerance for others, deemed very important by 80% of Americans as recently as four years ago, has fallen to 58% since then."

"Bill McInturff, a pollster who worked on a previous Journal survey that measured these attitudes   along with NBC News, said that “these differences are so dramatic, it paints a new and surprising portrait of a changing America.’’ He surmised that “perhaps the toll of our political division, Covid and the lowest economic confidence in decades is having a startling effect on our core values."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/americans-pull-back-from-values-that-once-defined-u-s-wsj-norc-poll-finds-df8534cd?mod=politics_lead_pos4

This is the latest sign of America's demise. It has been a long slide. 

Every once in a while, I like to take a look at what we have lost as a nation. My friends here will occasionally add the niceties that we can recall if we are old enough, such as when neighbors  helped neighbors and people left their doors unlocked. Today we most likely don't even know our neighbors . Of course, the big thing is the loss of personal safety and the left's defunding and demonizing local law enforcement. There is no question about the spike in crime or how it happened. The left's no-bail and defund-the-police policies have spiked crime. 

The current administration has even
emasculated the military to the point where the military is now having trouble recruiting enough members. Remember when we all felt so secure with just the thought of our men in uniform?

Ah, but we destroyed roll models long ago, didn't we?

Those arguments from the left about accepting alternative lifestyles  led to what exactly?  Today we grapple with a radical teacher's Union that thinks they can talk to (and influence) young children about sex. Parents being engaged in their children's education has become an obstacle for the left. Our current DOJ has sicked the FBI on parents.

Here is where it gets really scary:

"Half of people in the survey said they didn’t like the practice of being asked to use gender-neutral pronouns, such as “they’’ or “them,’’ when addressing another person, compared with 18% who viewed it favorably. Some 30% of respondents under age 35 viewed the practice favorably, compared with 9% of seniors."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/americans-pull-back-from-values-that-once-defined-u-s-wsj-norc-poll-finds-df8534cd?mod=politics_lead_pos4

Think about that, only half objected!  And 30% of the young are already screwed up.

I place the blame on the university (the place where free speech died) and weak Conservative leaders for letting it  happen.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    last year

Throughout history we see what eventually happens even to great civilizations.

For America it came way too soon.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year

I see you like to reside in a time long ago that never really existed.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    last year
that never really existed

Next thing is he'll be screaming at us to get off of his yard.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year
For America it came way too soon.

As it did with Samuel Clemens, but don't let that get in your way. He was still vibrant and so is America.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @1.2    last year
As it did with Samuel Clemens,

Haven't you heard?  He's been censored. He is a "hate crime."

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.3  Thomas  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    last year
Throughout history we see what eventually happens even to great civilizations.

They implode because of political infighting and blame it on the poor bastards who just want to be left alone. 

And, I hate to burst your bubble, but civilization today consists of more than the United States. Like it or not, everybody on the planet is part of civilization now. So, we can start working together with all nations more or we can remain on the current political course of divide and falter. Seems like someone would have figured this out by now. (I know, they did, but then time passed and we thought that we were "better".)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Thomas @1.3    last year
everybody on the planet is part of civilization now.

We are citzens of the world you say?

Thomas
Senior Guide
1.3.2  Thomas  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.1    last year

Basically. Some have realized that we are all on the same planet and some just keep trying to make spaceship earth an exclusive resort. I think that the roaches will win.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2  Just Jim NC TttH    last year

jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    last year

I was going to seed the WSJ article on this, but couldnt figure out a way to get around the paywall. (I usually am able to.) 

The WSJ article is somewhat deceptive, as we can see from the actual poll

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

According to the poll, for example, 94 percent of Americans say hard work is important to them. So we are arguing over the difference between "very" or "somewhat" important. The same with the other questions . 73 percent say "patriotism" is important to them. Ok good.  Whose patriotism? Trump's?  I'm sure that was a buzz kill to a lot of respondents when they thought about it. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    last year
Whose patriotism?

Certainly not that of people who think we should never take a stand against our declared enemies.

Remember?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    last year
Certainly not that of people who think we should never take a stand against our declared enemies.

Trump and DeSantis and Marjorie Taylor Greene? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.2    last year

That would be the man who ran out of Afghanistan and Iran is taking pot shots at mow.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.3    last year

That would be the man who ran out of Afghanistan and Iran is taking pot shots at mow.

Or the man that planned running out of Afghanistan and Iran and just wasn't around long enough to implement?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.4    last year
Or the man that planned running out of Afghanistan

Nobody planned that but the idiot proxy. I'm quite sure that was one of the few calls he made on his own.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.6  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.5    last year
I'm quite sure that was one of the few calls he made on his own.

And look how horridly that ended.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.7  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    last year

And today there was a new story of yet another important verification that Holy Reagan

promised the Iranians a better deal for the hostages if they would just keep them until 

after Reagan won the election.  His "October Surprise".

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.8  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.7    last year

The Iranians did want to fuck Carter, but they never would have been in that position if Carter hadn't let the Shah go down.

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
3.1.9  JumpDrive  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    last year

Maybe you could get Republicans to watch this video. Only 42% support the aid to Ukraine, whereas 79% of Democrats do.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.10  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JumpDrive @3.1.9    last year
Only 42% support the aid to Ukraine

You mean unlimited aid to the Ukraine.

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
3.1.11  JumpDrive  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.10    last year

Not what The Hill article says, but for me, yes, whatever it takes to drive Russia from Ukraine. Russia is committing all manner of atrocities in Ukraine. Ukraine supplies about a third of the world’s exported grain. Putin has used natural gas and oil as weapons, he will use food as well if we allow him access to it. Ukraine gave up its nuclear arsenal as part of becoming a free nation, then a nuclear power attacked them. If allowed to succeed, the rest of the world will know that nuclear weapons are the only guaranty of sovereignty. Both Russia & China are empire builders, this brought us two world wars. The free world needs to unequivocally say no to empire builders. The Ukrainians are showing that they value freedom, and that freedom is really a better way — something US conservatives talk about, but don’t even support in a majority. We just spent 7,500 lives and $4.15T on two moronic wars — here’s a chance to use a relatively tiny amount of money to reaffirm that Democracy is the better way. There are many other reasons to support the Ukraininans, let’s do that.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.12  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JumpDrive @3.1.11    last year
Not what The Hill article says, but for me, yes, whatever it takes to drive Russia from Ukraine. Russia is committing all manner of atrocities in Ukraine.

That's true. It sure didn't turn out the way Putin initially thought, but think about it: this is a war fought in one country. It's not like the Ukraine is fighting its way into Russian territory. The Ukraine will continue fighting a defensive war, which is destroying the Ukraine.

Ukraine supplies about a third of the world’s exported grain.

Just think, all of that grain once belonged to Russia.

We just spent 7,500 lives and $4.15T on two moronic wars — here’s a chance to use a relatively tiny amount of money to reaffirm that Democracy is the better way. 

There is no fixed price tag, is there?  What will be our limit?

There are many other reasons to support the Ukraininans, let’s do that.

We are.

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
3.1.13  JumpDrive  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.12    last year
The Ukraine will continue fighting a defensive war, which is destroying the Ukraine.

Because the West has been afraid to give it the ability to win, which the West can do and appears to be moving towards. Do you think we would behave any differently towards an aggressor; that we would compromise?

Just think, all of that grain once belonged to Russia.

Inane. The US once belonged to the Indians.

There is no fixed price tag, is there?  What will be our limit?

This war is the most important world event currently taking place. We have an opportunity to come down on the side of Democracy, against empire building, against colonialism. To diminish the power of authoritarians. To demonstrate to China that the price for annexing Taiwan would be ruinously high. The defeat of Russia in Ukraine makes war much less likely. It makes nuclear war much less likely because it would say that the Democracies will stand with all free nations (the point of your Reagan video). Let’s make pretending that other countries don’t exist and can be taken so last century — the Ukrainians are offering that chance.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.14  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JumpDrive @3.1.13    last year
Do you think we would behave any differently towards an aggressor; that we would compromise?

I think we already have. What did we do when Putin took Crimea?

This war is the most important world event currently taking place. We have an opportunity to come down on the side of Democracy, against empire building, against colonialism. To diminish the power of authoritarians. To demonstrate to China that the price for annexing Taiwan would be ruinously high. The defeat of Russia in Ukraine makes war much less likely. It makes nuclear war much less likely because it would say that the Democracies will stand with all free nations (the point of your Reagan video). Let’s make pretending that other countries don’t exist and can be taken so last century — the Ukrainians are offering that chance.

So no price is too high?

Got it.

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
3.1.15  JumpDrive  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.14    last year
I think we already have. What did we do when Putin took Crimea?

I was talking about our reaction to aggression against the US. Putin's first trial balloon was his attack on Georgia where he annexed 20% of that country and changed the rest into a vassal state. We failed to act, so he took Crimea, the cost of inaction is increasingly higher cost. It will only get higher if we fail now. 

So no price is too high?

The Ukrainians are willing to risk a nuclear attack by Russia to remain free. They are what so many patriots here claim to be. The free world is being asked for money/materiel, I think we should go that distance. The free countries are not in the empire business. Russia and China are. The Wagner Group operates in Africa to steal resources for Russia on a large scale. We need a resounding NO on empire building through force if we expect a peaceful world.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

I thought you might have been looking at it, since you wound up with a picture from the article. I thought it was an important poll.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3    last year

almost 1/2 of Americans say money is only "somewhat important" to them. Oh, the horror. /s

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3    last year

Certainly not those who need it.

George
Junior Expert
3.3.2  George  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3.1    last year

When the government gives it to you without labor, of course it has no value. I learned that when I was a child. Not surprising that the number of Americans who say money is only somewhat important matches the number who don't contribute anything to finance this great nation. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  George @3.3.2    last year

I couldn't agree more.

We did have a lot of money tossed around in the past two years.  Many gave up working.

One person who has no respect for money is the proxy Joe Biden.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.3.4  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3.3    last year
We did have a lot of money tossed around in the past two years.  Many gave up working.

True but it started with COVID and Trump's PPP program which not only did not have to be paid back, it spurred record fraud cases.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @3.3.4    last year
Trump's PPP program

Lol. Is Trump Congress and Speaker Pelosi? 

George
Junior Expert
3.3.6  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3.5    last year

Of course it is the orange mans fault. most liberals lack the ability to see past trump. You have complete morons who vote overwhelmingly for the little terrorist girl from MN, and the complete retards in the Bronx who support AOC. If you go beyond blaming trump it gets to complicated for them.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.3.7  Split Personality  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3.5    last year

The Cares Act was a bipartisan Senate Bill led by Cotton, Romney and Majority Leader

McConnell with "guidance from the WH"...

Mcconell buried the House "Heroes Act" and it was never voted on by the Senate.

So aside from an affirmative voice vote by the House Pelosi had nothing to do with the final product that Trump signed 4 years ago today.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.3.8  Split Personality  replied to  George @3.3.6    last year
You have complete morons who vote overwhelmingly for the little terrorist girl from MN, and the complete retards in the Bronx who support AOC.

Of course then you would have to explain the laziness of so many people who reelect warm bodies like Louie Gohmert, Green, Bobert, Cruz or the unknown candidate Santos from Long Island.

If you go beyond blaming trump it gets to complicated for them.

to, too & two..../s

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3.9  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @3.3.4    last year
True but it started with COVID and Trump's PPP program

No it was all about Joe Biden and the radicals who tell him what to do.

George
Junior Expert
3.3.10  George  replied to  Split Personality @3.3.8    last year

There, they're, their, you will be okay. But deflection noted. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.11  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @3.3.4    last year

Mostly among republicans.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.3.12  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.3.9    last year

$953 Billion giveaway with mixed results and massive fraud......

But, but Biden...and the radicals.

Weak sauce.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    last year
"Half of people in the survey said they didn’t like the practice of being asked to use gender-neutral pronouns, such as “they’’ or “them,’’ when addressing another person, compared with 18% who viewed it favorably. Some 30% of respondents under age 35 viewed the practice favorably, compared with 9% of seniors."

This is all a bunch of nonsense. I have never been asked to use gender -neutral pronouns, by anyone, and dont ever expect to be (like 99% of other Americans). 

This is a made up controversy meant to stoke MAGA grievances. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4    last year
This is a made up controversy meant to stoke MAGA grievances. 

Currently in one of my in-laws families two brothers are not speaking to each other because the young child of one told the young child of the other that gender was an option.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @4    last year

That's all some appear to have John, made up issues out of non-issues, made up controversies  . .

Hallux
PhD Principal
5  Hallux    last year

I'm not exactly sure why you included 'Where the Boys Are' seeing that the film dropped the last half of the book it was based on, the main characters in the second half decide to run guns to Castro! One wonders who pressured Pasternak not only to slice and dice the original novel but also to choose the version of the lyrics that Connie objected to.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @5    last year

I would hope that the most educated among us would at least be able to address a comment to me.

The obvious purpose of including the film is to recall a time when our military men were honored and they were proud to wear the uniform.

Thanks for all the research as boring as it was.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1    last year

I, being the least educated here, addressed my comment to you as an equal.

B.T.W., if you ever trek up here feel free to drop by and don't bother to knock, both front and back doors are unlocked. I even know all of my neighbors, we'll throw a block party for you.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @5.1.1    last year
I, being the least educated here, addressed my comment to you as an equal.

I know one member who would be so proud of you if she was on.

B.T.W., if you ever trek up here feel free to drop by and don't bother to knock, both front and back doors are unlocked. I even know all of my neighbors, we'll throw a block party for you.

I think I saw enough of Canada during the truckers strike. Should we thank you for sending the migrants back?

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.2    last year
I think I saw enough of Canada during the truckers strike. Should we thank you for sending the migrants back?

You did? You were actually up here or just drooling over some FOX/Tucker nonsense?

As to sending migrants back, that's a 2-way deal. Personally I would prefer they be allowed to stay.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @5.1.3    last year
You were actually up here or just drooling over some FOX/Tucker nonsense?

Actually, neither. It was the combination of your government's brand of Facism during that strike & a documentary on Robert Pickton. In the documentary they interviewed some of the many drug addicts in Vancouver. I found both quite repulsive.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.5  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.4    last year

What you call a strike was a protest. A protest that Truckers Unions in Canada objected to. As to Canada's government being fascist, were that so the protest would have been shut down within a day and violently.

Robert Pickton? Truly a dastardly fellow raised by a dastardly mom. Canada has had its fair share of serial killers as has America and every other nation ... what's your point?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Hallux @5    last year

I think there was a nostalgic innocence to the movie Where The Boys Are that calls to some people. In 1960 a lot of the problems that plague current society were either not acknowledged or didnt exist then. Things were simpler, which is attractive in some sense. 

Of course in 1960 Jim Crow racial segregation was still in bloom , women in large numbers stayed at home and brought Father Knows Best his slippers as he sat and smoked his pipe, and no gay people were "out". MIllions of people were killing themselves smoking cigarettes, which were advertised often on television. 

Time brings gains and losses depending on perspective, but social justice cannot be delayed forever. One day hopefully society will deal with the oligarchy and income and wealth inequality. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2    last year

And when Rome fell it was defended by mercinaries. That was a long way from the early days of the Republic when Roman mothers told their sons to come back in victory or dead on their sheilds.

We came a long way too. Today we have rampant crime and open borders at the behest of a radical regime. The end is near and it will be the same.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.2.2  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2.1    last year
Roman mothers told their sons to come back in victory or dead on their sheilds

I had no idea Spartan mothers were Romans.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @5.2.2    last year

You've done it again! The Spartans influenced the Romans. 

They may have been the first, but they weren't "the only."

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2.3    last year

Back in the Roman days, people were crucified, they used public commodes with absolutely no privacy, and the "government" changed hands many times due to assassination. Not to mention the fires in the high rises the poor had to live in, which were 4 or 5 story buildings made of wood. 

But lets wish to go back to ancient rome for the sake of some sort of "honor". 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.4    last year
they used public commodes with absolutely no privacy

Latrines were a convivial, relaxed, public place.  Apparently they weren't embarrassed by their bodies.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.2.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.2.5    last year

Feel free to time travel back there. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.2.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @5.2.6    last year

I'll send you a postcard.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.2.8  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.2.5    last year
Latrines were a convivial, relaxed, public place.

They were also unisex.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.2.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hallux @5.2.8    last year

Like the European saunas I’ve enjoyed.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2.1    last year
We came a long way too. Today we have rampant crime and open borders at the behest of a radical regime. The end is near and it will be the same.

First of all, there was more crime in the later part of the last century than there is today. 

Also, the WSJ was not upfront about its polling. It cherry-picked 1998 as a comparison point. So I checked out the 1998 poll, and here is what it showed:

Now, I would like to ask you some questions about the American character, that is, about our values and who we are…

C1. How important is each of the following values to you personally, would you say it is very important, somewhat important, not that important, or not important at all?*

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.11  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2.10    last year
the WSJ was not upfront about its polling.

It wasn't ?

It cherry-picked 1998 as a comparison point. 

What year's poll would you prefer?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2.11    last year

Well, Vic, I just showed you one, which was in their actual 1998 poll. Somehow things changed from the 70's. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.2.13  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2.12    last year
Somehow things changed from the 70's. 

They sure have.

I'll give you one guess who I blame for all of it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.14  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2.13    last year

Gee, that's a tough one!

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.15  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.2.13    last year

No one cares.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    last year

Younger Americans don’t like hard work, don’t like America , don’t want to have kids and are depressed and unhappy.

The progressive culture and education systems are working as planned.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    last year

Sean, 

How many younger adults do you know because all of the ones that I know (and that would be A LOT) all work, and are basically happy. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    last year
Our study updates the depression prevalence estimates for the U.S. population through the year 2020 and confirms escalating increases in depression from 2015 through 2019, reflecting a public health crisis that was intensifying in the U.S. even before the onset of the pandemic,” said Renee D. Goodwin , PhD, an adjunct professor in the Department of Epidemiology at Columbia Mailman School of Public Health, professor of epidemiology at The City University of New York, and lead author. “The net effect of these trends suggests an accelerating public health crisis and that parity and public-service announcement efforts have not achieved equity in depression treatment.”

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    last year

. The data speaks for itself. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.1    last year

I am not saying that there is no depression, but just like with autism, I think we can just better identify people who are suffering more than anything else.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1.2    last year

And that is just one study, and are you really sure that anything that comes out of Harvard is accurate? Isn't it one of those liberal hotbeds of nonsense referenced in this article?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.4    last year

There are countless studies reporting the same.  Feel free to provide an actual rebuttal based on data.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1.5    last year

And as I said, I don't doubt the numbers are up. What I doubt is that there has been an actual stunning increase, but rather more awareness and more dxing.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.4    last year

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1.8  evilone  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.6    last year
...but rather more awareness and more dxing.

The Rolling Stones made a song of it in 1966

"Kids are different today," I hear ev'ry mother say
Mother needs something today to calm her down
And though she's not really ill, There's a little yellow pill
She goes running for the shelter of a mother's little helper
And it helps her on her way
Gets her through her busy day

By the '80s it became a running gag... But it was often explained as exhaustion in affluent white women and not depression.

When I was diagnosed in the mid-90's too people were still trying deny depression and mental health were a thing. Especially for men. It was getting better, but it wasn't getting better fast enough and while the ACA tried to bring parity for mental health up to physical health we aren't there yet. My step father went from telling me it was all in my head (and if I just could think good thoughts everything would be sunny) to being on anti-depressants himself before he passed in 2003.