╌>

Uninsured Drivers Soar in Florida as Insurance Crisis Deepens

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  2 months ago  •  48 comments

By:   Giulia Carbonaro

Uninsured Drivers Soar in Florida as Insurance Crisis Deepens

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The number of uninsured drivers in Florida is rising as the cost of coverage has become unaffordable for many, according to recent data from the New York-based Insurance Information Institute (Triple-I).

The Triple-I website estimates that, as per year-end 2022 data, some 15.9 percent of Florida drivers do not have insurance on their vehicles, higher than the national average of 14 percent. According to the Insurance Research Council (IRC), this number could be even higher, at 20.4 percent of all the Sunshine State's drivers.

This might be because car insurance in Florida is among the most expensive in the country, up to an average monthly cost of $115 for minimum-liability coverage and $270 for full coverage. The national average for minimum coverage is $52 per month or $627 per year—much lower than Florida's annual average of $1,385.

At a national level, American drivers pay $167 per month or $2,008 per year for full coverage, according to MarketWatch—much less than Floridians, with an average cost of $3,244 per year.

A 2021 study by IRC found that in 2019 Florida was among the states with the highest number of uninsured drivers, "both a symptom and a cause of affordability challenges." The state with the highest percentage of uninsured drivers was Mississippi with 29.4 percent, followed by Michigan (25.5), Tennessee (23.7), New Mexico (21.8), Washington (21.7) and Florida (20.4 percent). The national average in 2019 was 12.6 percent.

LINK TO SEEDED ARTICLE:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/uninsured-drivers-soar-in-florida-as-insurance-crisis-deepens/ar-BB1j6FQs?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=42c20945c1b8488f924b53b0898ddf5e&ei=13

Red Box Rules

OFF-TOPIC COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED WITHOUT WARNING.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     2 months ago

Now adding to the homeowner's insurance crisis we can add the auto insurance crisis. It's a twofer for us folks in Florida. 

But, no worries our fearless leader promised he take time out from fighting ''woke'' to handle the double barrel crisis.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Kavika @1    2 months ago

Guess you had better move before property values go completely in the shitter.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1    2 months ago
Guess you had better move before property values go completely in the shitter.

Nope, property values in parts of Florida are still rising and in south Florida it has become one of the most expensive areas in the US.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1    2 months ago

it's better to complain about something you have complete control over.

None of my insurances have gone up over the past few years. I have had State Farm in Florida since I was 16.

Only time my auto insurance really went up was when my wife was hit in a hit and run on the freeway about 5 years ago, but has come down to more normal levels since.

Problem is so many people acquire insurance through nefarious insurance companies, where many of those companies do not pay when a claim is filed.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.3  bugsy  replied to  Kavika @1.1.1    2 months ago

But wait..........

[deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Kavika   replied to  bugsy @1.1.2    2 months ago

I also have State Farm and have had for years, no tickets no accidents and my auto went up $504 per year. I received the new billing last week. 

George
Junior Expert
1.1.5  George  replied to  bugsy @1.1.2    2 months ago

removed for context

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Krishna  replied to  bugsy @1.1.2    2 months ago
None of my insurances have gone up over the past few years.

Homeowner's insurance?

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.7  bugsy  replied to  Krishna @1.1.6    2 months ago

Homeowner's has, somewhat, but I was replying to the subject of auto insurance.

Glad I can clarify.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    2 months ago

DeSantis is a fuck up

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 months ago
DeSantis is a fuck up

I won't argue that with you, he is but the property and auto insurance has been brewing for a long time and after the state formed a ''insurer of last resort'' if you get insurance through them it is a lot more expensive than on the open market in Florida which is the highest in America. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2    2 months ago

What does he have to do with insurance rates? 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    2 months ago

Exactly. People who should not be driving to begin with have too many wrecks for the car insurance. Mother nature for the home owners insurance and I am sure they want to use the "but global warming is causing that" bullshit.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.1    2 months ago

Numerous Insurance companies have gone bankrupt and some others have pulled out because of the losses that they are experiencing. Why do you think that the state of Florida had to form its own insurance company? Their rates are higher than any other insurance company and without them, there are not enough private insurance companies to cover the number of people in FL. 

Auto rates are also driven by hurricanes. What do you think happens to an auto in a hurricane? It's damaged or totaled. 

The number of very destructive hurricanes has increased over the last decade.

You might want to tell the city planners in south Florida that climate change isn't for real so they can stop building flood gates to protect underground parking and numerous streets.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Kavika @2.2.2    2 months ago

"The number of very destructive hurricanes has increased over the last decade."

Any link to verify that? The ocean is rising, but very slowly, about a tenth of an inch a year.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.4  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.3    2 months ago
Any link to verify that? The ocean is rising, but very slowly, about a tenth of an inch a year.

Sure do but why bother to link it you never read them or respond to them.

Cheers/

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @2.2.4    2 months ago

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3  Gsquared    2 months ago
The number of uninsured drivers in Florida is rising

Make sure you have lots of uninsured motorist insurance coverage.  As much as you can afford.  Uninsured motorist insurance is the coverage that protects you and your family if you are injured.  I don't know about other states, but in California it protects you if you are injured by an uninsured motorist while you are a pedestrian, or riding your bike, or even if your kids are injured by an uninsured motorist while they are rollerskating or on their skateboard.  It can apply in other instances, too.  It is very important.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1  bugsy  replied to  Gsquared @3    2 months ago

I could be wrong,but I believe it is required here in Florida

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  bugsy @3.1    2 months ago

As it is in most states.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Gsquared  replied to  bugsy @3.1    2 months ago

It is usually required, that is, written into every auto insurance policy, unless you sign a written waiver of uninsured motorist coverage, which you should never do.  In fact, you have UM coverage even if you haven't paid a premium for it if there is no written waiver.

I have handled hundreds of uninsured motorist cases.  It is vital for your protection.

Uninsured motorist insurance in California is also underinsured motorist insurance.  It can make up the difference if the driver at fault's liability insurance policy limits are lower than your own UM/UIM policy limits.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @3.1    2 months ago
Not required
When a family member leased another car recently in Miami the USAA quote with UM was $200 more than the car payment,  Luckily there was a Progressive office in the dealership which provided the required coverage with UM for $177 a month
That allowed us to roll back our own 300/500/300 a bit but in the end we sadly dropped USAA altogether in favor of another Texas carrier for a savings of $1200 a year my car alone.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @3.1.3    2 months ago

I checked USAA around a year ago and they were $1,000 year more on just the auto insurance and that is for one car.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Gsquared  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.3    2 months ago

I read your link, SP.  California is not a "no fault" state and we do not have PIP coverage.  Most auto insurers do offer the option to purchase Medical Payments Benefits coverage which will pay for the medical expenses incurred by the insured or any passenger in the insured vehicle, or a legally-defined "resident relative" who may be a passenger in someone else's vehicle, or as a pedestrian.  It is optional only, not mandatory.

If UM coverage is not mandatory in Florida, or some other state, then it may not be automatically written into every auto insurance policy except where there is a written waiver as is the law in California.  Each state has its own insurance laws and I don't try to guess as to what the laws might be in any other state.

One thing I can say is that you should have the most UM/UIM coverage possible, not less.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Gsquared  replied to  Kavika @3.1.4    2 months ago

USAA only insures military and retired military, and their families, so you would qualify with them.  They also insure foreign service officers, or they used to.  I don't know if they still do.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.7  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @3.1.6    2 months ago

I checked them out about a year ago and they were $1000 more then State Farm on auto coverage. They are very expensive, G.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.8  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Gsquared @3.1.6    2 months ago

I started with USAA 48 years ago and always have been happy with their service.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.9  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @3.1.7    2 months ago

Basically from the moment the oldest got a drivers license I went full max on all coverages

assuming one of the three would get us sued.

I had to cosign for one of them 5 years ago which was why that car somehow ended up on my policy.

I was an All State agent at the time and USAA was still cheaper.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.10  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.8    2 months ago

Service is one thing, and I am grateful for the many services they provided from Home & Auto, Umbrella,

mortgage, credit cards etc but when it comes down to it, at our age, an extra $100 a month is more important

than 42 years over loyalty..

The Texas insurance on the lease increased from189 to 435 over the course of the year 2023; when we upgraded the car it jumped to $635 in Florida. The new lease was only 309 for a Kia.

Progressive provided the required (less) coverage for $177 a month.

I think USAA is deliberately pricing itself out of different markets.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Gsquared  replied to  Kavika @3.1.7    2 months ago

In my opinion, Auto Club is the best insurer.  I've been with them for years for our cars and our homeowner's insurance, too.  Also, when I am handling someone's claim they are generally the best to deal with and give me less problems than most of the other companies.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Gsquared  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.8    2 months ago

USAA is OK.  I've had many cases with them over the years.  I had a major case with them one time that I was told later became a subject of their claims handling training sessions.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Gsquared  replied to  Gsquared @3.1.5    2 months ago

I should mention the Med Pay coverage is no fault.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.14  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @3.1.11    2 months ago
In my opinion, Auto Club is the best insurer. 

They are very good, no doubt. I've been with State Farm for years and they have been quite responsive and easy to deal with as well.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Gsquared  replied to  Kavika @3.1.14    2 months ago

State Farm is better than they were in the 90s.  They were terrible to deal with.  Even the judges used to criticize them from the bench for their awful claims handling and abuse of the legal system.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Sparty On  replied to  Kavika @3.1.4    2 months ago

USAA is not the best deal I could get.   People need to shop around.   Three prices is my rule of thumb.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.17  Raven Wing  replied to  Gsquared @3.1.11    2 months ago
Auto Club is the best insurer. 

I agree G. I've been a Member of AAA had my car and homeowners insurance with them for more than 48 years, as they've had the best prices for both than other providers, no matter where I lived. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Gsquared @3    2 months ago

It is not required in Florida. I do have it and an umbrella policy on top of that. In Florida or at least with State Farms and AAA you have to have $500,000/250,000 collision insurance to qualify for an umbrella coverage.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Gsquared  replied to  Kavika @3.2    2 months ago

I also have an umbrella policy which includes UM/UIM.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @3.2    2 months ago

yep, I had 500/300/500 until recently.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4  Freefaller    2 months ago

Lol the high average quoted in the article has been my norm for years

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Freefaller @4    2 months ago
Lol the high average quoted in the article has been my norm for years

Yeah, but you have six feet of snow for 10 months of the year, all roads are gravel without anyone to plow them, and then in the 10 months of winter, it's a known fact that polar bears attack auto/suv/trucks and the two months of just bad roads it's the damn grizzlies taking over for the Polar bears.

It's my understanding from my cuz, Luther Walks The Horse in Whitehorse when he lives (temporarily till his bond expires then it's back to Iqaluit) That it snowed so much one day that he couldn't find his car until the summer which was a Tuesday afternoon in August and it had melted, at least that is what he told the RCMP who are mounted on skidoos.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @4.1    2 months ago

Lol climate change has it's benefits, when I was younger winter was 15 months a year and I had to walk uphill to and from school through 13 feet of snow fighting off polar bears, wolves and snow sharks the whole time

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Freefaller @4.1.1    2 months ago

LOLOL, damn you're one tough guy, especially fighting off snow sharks.

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    2 months ago

There can a big difference within the same company depending on the agent. My Farmers agent of over 20 years retired and "Sold" her agency. The new agent doubled my home and car rates.  Because I had been a Farmers customer I was not able to switch Farmers agents though other Farmers agents could offer me much better rates if I was not a longstanding customer. My only alternative was to change companies altogether to get a good rate. It is maddening when companies give much better deals to new customers than longterm loyal customers. It is the same deal with cellphones, banking and other services...

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    2 months ago

I distrust insurance companies that bombard me with excessive advertising 

devangelical
Professor Principal
7  devangelical    2 months ago

oh great, a bunch of blue-hairs that can't see over the steering wheels of their 2 ton sidewalk clearing cadillacs driving uninsured...

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @7    2 months ago

It's the ones in the golf carts, they'll run you down and you don't even hear them coming.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @7.1    2 months ago

we both know where I'm seeing a lot of that crazy shit...