╌>

Donald Trump is going to win the election and democracy will be just fine

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 months ago  •  59 comments

By:   Bangor Daily News

Donald Trump is going to win the election and democracy will be just fine
Democrats' post-debate hand-wringing is based on the idea that a Trump victory is not just a political loss, but a unique threat to our democracy. I reject the premise.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

After the first presidential debate, lots of Democrats are panicking about whether President Joe Biden should step down as the party's nominee. Biden's poor performance in the debate was not a surprise. It also didn't rattle me as it has others, because the outcome of this election has been clear to me for months: While I don't plan to vote for him, Donald Trump is going to win. And I'm OK with that.

There are winners and losers in every election. Democrats' post-debate hand-wringing is based on the idea that a Trump victory is not just a political loss, but a unique threat to our democracy. I reject the premise. Unlike Biden and many others, I refuse to participate in a campaign to scare voters with the idea that Trump will end our democratic system.

This Independence Day marks our nation's 248th birthday. In that time, American democracy has withstood civil war, world wars, acts of terrorism and technological and societal changes that would make the Founders' head spin.

Pearl-clutching about a Trump victory ignores the strength of our democracy. Jan. 6, 2021, was a dark day. But Americans stood strong. Hundreds of police officers protected the democratic process against thousands who tried to use violence to upend it. Judges and state election officials upheld our election laws. Members of Congress, including leaders from both parties, certified the election results.

They all are joined in the defense of democracy by the millions of us who, like me, made an oath of allegiance to the United States and to the Constitution when we began our military service, plus hundreds of millions of freedom-loving Americans who won't let anyone take away our constitutional rights as citizens of the greatest democracy in history.

This election is about the economy, not democracy. And when it comes to our economy, our Congress matters far more than who occupies the White House.

Some of Congress' best work in recent years has happened in spite of the president, not because of him. A handful of responsible Democrats, including myself and West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, rejected Biden's bloated "Build Back Better" bill and instead passed a law that supercharged American energy production, saved Medicare billions of dollars and reduced the deficit. Years earlier, Congress stood up to the GOP establishment who tried to hijack Trump's agenda to achieve their long-held goal of repealing the Affordable Care Act. Defeating them saved health coverage for tens of millions of Americans and protections for people with preexisting conditions.

It was Congress that wrote and passed the CHIPS Act and the Inflation Reduction Act to bring back manufacturing so we can once again be a nation of producers, not just consumers. We wrote laws to unleash American energy by tapping domestic natural resources — oil and gas, biomass, the sun and wind — as well as nuclear power to ensure a steady supply of affordable, reliable energy. And we passed an infrastructure law that's already building and improving roads, bridges and ports.

In 2025, I believe Trump is going to be in the White House. Maine's representatives will need to work with him when it benefits Mainers, hold him accountable when it does not and work independently across the aisle no matter what.

Congress will need to stand up to economic elites and so-called experts in both parties who are already working overtime to stop Trump's proposed trade policies that would reverse the harms of globalization and protect American businesses from unfair foreign competition. We need to protect from extremists the law I helped pass that caps seniors' insulin costs at $35 and forces Big Pharma to negotiate and lower the cost of prescription drugs.

Perhaps more importantly, members must stand up to the GOP old-guard who will use a Trump presidency as cover for handouts to the wealthy and powerful at the cost of America's working families and communities.

We must stabilize Medicare and Social Security, without cuts for seniors. We must guarantee women's reproductive rights. And Congress must be ready to once again protect the ACA and to end huge tax breaks for the wealthy and for multinational corporations.

I urge everyone — voters, elected officials, the media, and all citizens — to ignore the chattering class's scare tactics and political pipedreams. We don't need party insiders in smoke-filled back rooms to save us. We can defend our democracy without them.

My focus is on representing the people of Maine's Second Congressional District and working for the common good of all Americans. This Independence Day, we should reflect on the history and strength of our great democracy, safe in the knowledge that no one man is strong enough to take it away from us.

The BDN Opinion section operates independently and does not set news policies or contribute to reporting or editing articles elsewhere in the newspaper or on bangordailynews.com

Jared Golden represents Maine's Second Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

Translation: Jared Golden fears he will also lose because he will be on the same ballot as Biden.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago

'This election is about the economy, not Democracy'

Every election is about Democracy.

It can ALSO be about the economy.  Why should one preclude the other?  It's not an either-or problem/premise

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    2 months ago
Every election is about Democracy.

That's a new one.

It can ALSO be about the economy. 

The economy is always the top issue.

Why should one preclude the other?  It's not an either-or problem/premise

There are a whole range of issues.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.1    2 months ago

Not an either or - obviously there are a whole range of issues always - so as you agree - it's not an either-or thing

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago

Not unusual for those down ballot to weigh the advantages/ disadvantages of a coattail campaign with up ballot candidates. Most candidates in both parties do it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @1.2    2 months ago
Why should one preclude the other?  It's not an either-or problem/premise

That is exactly my point.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    2 months ago

I see you agree with me.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago

Having read the article, that makes no sense. Trump will also be on the same ballot and it's a given that 50% of the people on the ballot will lose.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.3    2 months ago

So, you feel that Trump is the great incentive for democrat voters.

You have a point.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.1    2 months ago

We like our President to not be a traitor like trump and a convicted rapist like trump and a convicted felon like trump.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3.3  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3.1    2 months ago

There are days long "discussions" here about what motivates one to throw their vote away on Jill Stein or JFK Jr

as opposed to the old stand by of the "lesser of two evils"

or those extremists who say " I am not voting for Republicans, I am voting against Democrats!"

or vice versa.

it's always been a numbers game.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @1.3.3    2 months ago
or those extremists who say " I am not voting for Republicans, I am voting against Democrats!" or vice versa.

That may come as a shock to some who will be voting against Trump, being called extremists.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 months ago

Should Trump win, Democracy will in fact be okay. Some hard core liberal Democrats on the other hand may be another matter alltogether.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.4.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.4    2 months ago

Of course democracy will be fine.

All this hoopla over the death of democracy and bullshit about how a President can order his political rival to be executed is unnecessary, lacks logic, and is fear mongering at a level rarely seen.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.4    2 months ago
Should Trump win, Democracy will in fact be okay.

He is democracy's only chance. This has to end.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
1.4.3  Drakkonis  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.4    2 months ago
Should Trump win, Democracy will in fact be okay. Some hard core liberal Democrats on the other hand may be another matter alltogether.

The irony will be that, if there are riots because Trump wins, the very ones claiming democracy is at risk will be the ones doing the burning.

If riots occur, as I expect if Trump wins, it will be interesting to see how they compare to the riots perpetrated after Biden won. 

GregTx
Professor Guide
1.4.4  GregTx  replied to  Drakkonis @1.4.3    2 months ago

That's not irony, that's hypocrisy. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.4.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drakkonis @1.4.3    2 months ago

Probably a good bet some on the left will be screaming "outside agitators".

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.4.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @1.4.1    2 months ago

Fear mongering is all some on the liberal hardcore left have anymore.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.4.7  Tacos!  replied to  Texan1211 @1.4.1    2 months ago
about how a President can order his political rival to be executed

Can you explain legally why this something we don't need to be worried about?

GregTx
Professor Guide
1.4.8  GregTx  replied to  Tacos! @1.4.7    2 months ago

In what reality do you think a sitting president having his political rival(s) assassinated would be viewed as within his duties?.....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.4.9  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.4.2    2 months ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

he is Democracy's only chance

WOW

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.4.10  Tacos!  replied to  GregTx @1.4.8    2 months ago

National Security

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2  Gsquared    2 months ago
Donald Trump is going to win. And I'm OK with that.

His mother should send him to his room.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Gsquared @2    2 months ago

His mother has been dead for years.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1    2 months ago

That must make it difficult for her to manage the golf course.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1    2 months ago

She has joined Jackie Walorski.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2  devangelical  replied to  Gsquared @2    2 months ago

trump's going to say he won regardless...

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Gsquared  replied to  devangelical @2.2    2 months ago

Oh, for sure, but I still think that with his comment Golden deserves to have his mother give him a time out.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
3  Gazoo    2 months ago

[deleted][]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Gazoo @3    2 months ago
removed for context

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4  cjcold    2 months ago

[deleted][]

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  cjcold @4    2 months ago

Simple answer: they don't qualify for criminal immunity,they still have to face the consequences of their actions.

Kind of like that idea of a " purge", idiots that think that should workand they can get rid of their " problems" forget they themselves are subject to being purged themselves.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2  Ronin2  replied to  cjcold @4    2 months ago

Why not?

They have sat on their hands for the last three and a half years of Biden and Democrats doing their best to destroy the country by weaponizing the FBI, CIA, DOJ, and IRS. They have watched Biden refuse to enforce our immigration laws and border; and ignore Supreme Court rulings on multiple occasions. 

Biden is far more of a dictator than Trump could ever hope to be.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2    2 months ago
They have sat on their hands for the last three and a half years of Biden and Democrats doing their best to destroy the country by weaponizing the FBI, CIA, DOJ, and IRS.

Partisan conspiratorial nonsense?

They have watched Biden refuse to enforce our immigration laws and border; and ignore Supreme Court rulings on multiple occasions. 

Partly true. Like all lies wrapped around a single kernel of truth.

Biden is far more of a dictator than Trump could ever hope to be.

Sorry, you're repeating what you said about every other Dem POTUS ever while giving the Republican POTUS's a pass for the same behavior.  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.1    2 months ago
Partisan conspiratorial nonsense?

Only to leftists. Which seem to ignore everything going on during the Obama and Brandon regimes.

Partly true. Like all lies wrapped around a single kernel of truth.

Again only to leftists. Why don't you point out what is untrue instead of making baseless accusations? 

Sorry, you're repeating what you said about every other Dem POTUS ever while giving the Republican POTUS's a pass for the same behavior.  

Talk about of fucking lie! Name one good thing I said about Bush Jr? Go ahead. I can wait. I have stated repeatedly I can't stand Trump; but unlike Democrats/leftists I believe in equal application of the law- which there sure as hell hasn't been. Trump is also entitled to due process; despite Democrat/leftists demands that all of his trials be rushed to the front of the line.

I have been anti-Establishment since before it became popular. I am not voting for Republicans, I am voting against Democrats! Until they prove they are fit to lead they don't deserve to be elected to any office at any level of government.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @4.2.2    2 months ago
Only to leftists. Which seem to ignore everything going on during the Obama and Brandon regimes.

Funny how both had inherited a country and economy in the ditch and turned things around.

Again only to leftists. Why don't you point out what is untrue instead of making baseless accusations? 

Why bother?

Talk about of fucking lie! Name one good thing I said about Bush Jr?

Don't know or care, that was before NT or NV.

I can't stand Trump; but unlike Democrats/leftists I believe in equal application of the law- which there sure as hell hasn't been.

Opinion

Trump is also entitled to due process; despite Democrat/leftists demands that all of his trials be rushed to the front of the line.

Facts say that they are being slow walked by a Trump appointed judge and SCOTUS and that any Dems or jurists involved are being smeared in public and threatened both privately and officially.

I have been anti-Establishment since before it became popular.

It still isn't popular.

I am not voting for Republicans, I am voting against Democrats!

A very popular stance that swings both ways

Until they prove they are fit to lead they don't deserve to be elected to any office at any level of government.

That also swings both ways, it's a shame that you do not acknowledge that, I mean after all you just implied that you hated the younger Bush.  Hmmm?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.3  Tessylo  replied to  cjcold @4    2 months ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    2 months ago

The lack of self-awareness is awe-inspiring. 

This author wrote:

Jan. 6, 2021, was a dark day. But Americans stood strong. Hundreds of police officers protected the democratic process against thousands who tried to use violence to upend it.

So he admits that police were needed to protect the democratic process from a mob sent to that site and told to fight by Donald Trump.

And yet he also has the nerve to declare:

the idea that a Trump victory is not just a political loss, but a unique threat to our democracy. I reject the premise.

If there has ever been a candidate who was a bigger threat to our democracy, I’d love to hear who it might be.

Donald Trump has insisted that every election he has taken part in was fixed against him - including the one he won. Even after he won in 2016, he still insisted that millions more people actually voted for him than were counted. His ego could not accept that he lost the popular vote.

And when he lost in 2020, he did everything he could think of to overturn the certified results - using his access and power as president - including trying to get special help from state officials, and the vice president. And if that wouldn’t work, he’d get a mob to stop the process. Thank God for those police officers, who got no help from Trump.

Every court case he has ever been party to, he has attacked judges, opposing counsel, or the jury as corrupt in some way. All without proof. He openly disrespects every institution and process that we have, and encourages his followers to do likewise.

There are many competent politicians who respect our institutions and share some policy goals with Trump. Any one of them would be a better choice. Failing that, Americans should consider choosing even someone who disagrees with Trump. Because literally every other possible choice - if they lost - would not do or say the things Trump did - thereby threatening our democracy - to the extreme degree that he did.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @5    2 months ago

It all started on DAY 1

Hallux
Professor Principal
6  Hallux    2 months ago

[deleted][]

Hallux
Professor Principal
6.1  Hallux  replied to  Hallux @6    2 months ago

[removed][]

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7  Split Personality    2 months ago

The indictments of Hillary, Obama, Holder?

That never happened yet?

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1  JBB  replied to  Split Personality @7    2 months ago

Because grand juries do refuse to indict even a ham sandwich without any evidence of crimes!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @7.1    2 months ago

Comey is a human POS that refused to indict Hillary; he didn't even bring the charges before a Grand Jury! Durham didn't charge her because of two TDS driven Democrat appointed judges and hand picked TDS juries that hamstrung her minion prosecutions. Pretty damn hard to convict when the judges hand pick the juries over prosecution protests; and then disallow key evidence.

Lynch replaced Holder as Obama's AG; and she refused to charge him.

Obama would have to be charged by Holder, Lynch, Sessions, or Barr. The first two were appointed by him. The other two are Establishment pricks. The Establishment takes care of their own.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @7.1.1    2 months ago

Hopeless....

MrFrost
Professor Guide
7.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @7.1.1    2 months ago
Comey is a human POS that refused to indict Hillary

He reopened an investigation against her just days before the election which likely cost her the election. He has an R after his name for a reason. He's a horrible human being. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.3    2 months ago

Comey didn't cost the Queen her election.

Her misguided campaign and poor choice of words hurt her.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.3    2 months ago

I have that ignorance on ignore.  But there was no fucking reason to indict Hillary.  Never has been and never will be.  

I believe that is what cost her the election also.

Fuck Comey.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.1.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  MrFrost @7.1.3    2 months ago

I have to agree with Tex , Hillary cost herself the election.

How she chose to run her campaign like it was a shoe in AND the appearance she thought it was her turn and owed to her, her deciding opposing voters were degs and "deplorables", as a candidate , one can think that even can say it in closelyguarded circles , but never publicly. Doing that was never going to reverse the trending idea that had already been in place for decades,that she was unlikable,a bit of a snob and too good for the average person, and that is what the voters saw , voted on and basically passed on for consideration.

Guess who else currently could be facing the same issues, Harris, jmo not worth much though.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @7.1.6    2 months ago

Almost 8 years later, and people still don't get why she lost.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
7.1.8  MrFrost  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @7.1.6    2 months ago
I have to agree with Tex , Hillary cost herself the election.

Oh undoubtedly, but Comey sure didn't help. My point is that he was definitely not on her side. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.1.9  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  MrFrost @7.1.8    2 months ago

In otherwords, politics as usual, and that surprises people?

If it does they need a new hobby or profession.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.1.10  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  MrFrost @7.1.8    2 months ago

You may or may not agree with what I am about to say.

For right now , the 2024 race is in the hands of the individual parties and it's membership.

Right now it is the parties that can win or lose the race.

Once the conventions are held, that precept, of who wins or loses the race rests squarely on the shoulders of the chosen candidate coming out of convention.

Ever notice , it's never the party per say that loses, but the candidate?

IF the parties really want to win , it would I think be shown before and during the convention process.

Looking at what is had, I'm not holding my breath.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
7.1.11  MrFrost  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @7.1.10    2 months ago

I agree. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.2  Ronin2  replied to  Split Personality @7    2 months ago

Why don't you ask the DOJ?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @7.2    2 months ago

A Special Prosecutor named John Durham ( a darling of the right) had a free hand for FOUR years and came up with nadda.

Under Trump no less....

MrFrost
Professor Guide
8  MrFrost    2 months ago
Donald Trump Is Going To Win The Election

Signed,

GregTx
Professor Guide
8.1  GregTx  replied to  MrFrost @8    2 months ago

Is that you Joe?...