╌>

Biden bows out of 2024 presidential race

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gregtx  •  2 months ago  •  201 comments

Biden bows out of 2024 presidential race
President Joe Biden has suspended his reelection campaign, sparking a political firestorm regarding who should replace him mere months before voters head to the ballot box.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Joe Biden has suspended his reelection campaign, sparking a political firestorm regarding who should replace him mere months before voters head to the ballot box.

Biden's decision comes after his opening debate against his Republican opponent, former President Donald Trump, in which he appeared to lose his train of thought and, at times, stood with his mouth agape. The Biden campaign had pushed for the debate in the hope of changing the dynamics of a race in which the president is polling behind his predecessor in key battleground states.

Rep. Lloyd Doggett (D-TX) precipitated the bursting of the political dam when, on Tuesday, he became the first elected congressional Democrat to ask Biden to step down as the party's 2024 presumptive nominee.

"My decision to make these strong reservations public is not done lightly nor does it in any way diminish my respect for all that President Biden has achieved," Doggett wrote in a statement. "Recognizing that, unlike Trump, President Biden's first commitment has always been to our country, not himself, I am hopeful that he will make the painful and difficult decision to withdraw. I respectfully call on him to do so."

Reps. Jared Golden (D-ME) and Marie Gluesenkamp Perez (D-WA), two House Democrats with competitive reelection campaigns this November, then took a different approach, advising Biden he would lose to Trump.

"We all saw what we saw, you can't undo that, and the truth I think, is that Biden is going to lose to Trump," Gluesenkamp Perez told KATU. "I know that's difficult, but I think the damage has been done by that debate."

But in the weeks that followed, Democrats, including Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY), sat down with Biden to discuss his candidacy and how it could affect the down-ballot races, in addition to the party more broadly. That is despite some Democrats calling on Biden to prove himself in more extemporaneous opportunities, such as an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos and a press conference on the sidelines of the 75th NATO summit. At the same time, tensions with Democrats remained, evidenced by a terse conversation with Rep. Jason Crow (D-CO) related to his and the late Beau Biden's Bronze Star.

Since the debate, Trump's assassination attempt, and Biden's COVID-19 diagnosis, 19 Democrats have called on the president to stand down as their party's nominee.

Rank-and-file Democrats, rankled by the Biden campaign and the Democratic National Committee's response to the president's debate, have also criticized leaders in both camps for downplaying, even mocking, their concerns.

"One of the things that, notoriously, Democrats are known for: some of us like to wring our hands," DNC Chairman Jaime Harrison told the Washington Examiner in Atlanta after the debate. "It's not time to wring hands, it's about rolling up your sleeves to do the work."

After aides attributed Biden's bad debate to a cold, the president apportioned responsibility to his travel to Europe for the 80th anniversary of D-Day and the Group of 7 leaders summit during a fundraiser in Virginia last month. The president spent the week prior to the debate preparing at Camp David.

"I decided to travel around the world a couple of times … shortly before the debate," he told donors. "I didn't listen to my staff and then I almost fell asleep onstage." "It's not an excuse, but an explanation," he said.

The Democratic National Convention, traditionally held to officially nominate the party's nominee, is scheduled to start in Chicago in August, but this year there will be a virtual roll call in August so the standard-bearer can be included on the ticket in Ohio after a since resolved deadline issue with the Buckeye State's ballot access laws.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

GregTx
Professor Guide
1  seeder  GregTx    2 months ago

So what happens now?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  GregTx @1    2 months ago

Tears and Fears.

And more Trump bashing 

Hallux
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Right Down the Center @1.1    2 months ago

Cheers and Beers

And lotsa Vance trashing.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  GregTx @1    2 months ago

I told you it would happen by Monday morning.

The next thing that will happen is that Nancy Pelosi will push for her plan AKA "an open nomination process."  The democrats who enter their names into nomination will go down as denying the first black woman vp her chance at being the nominee. Most likely they will lose in November, and they will be doomed to having the black caucus against them thereafter.

Pelosi fears a Harris nomination that much.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2    2 months ago

The Obamas have been pushing Harris. I’d be surprised if there’s much of a challenge

George
Junior Expert
1.2.2  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2.1    2 months ago

The question is, is Wille Brown available? Because who else would want to attach their dingy to the USS Harris? 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  GregTx @1    2 months ago

If the DNC nominates Harris, the next presidential debate will be between those two. I hope the DNC will have more sense and nominates somebody else. I remember saying after the first debate that I doubted there would be another Trump vs Biden debate. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.3.1  Snuffy  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    2 months ago

The problem around not nominating Harris is IMO two-fold. First there's the issue of the money (approx $91 million) that only goes to the campaign so long as Harris is on the ticket and secondly how many Democrats would not vote if the DNC passed over on Harris and nominated some white person. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    2 months ago

It is incredibly likely now that someone better than Biden and Trump will be the D nominee.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  TᵢG @2    2 months ago

Unless the Democrats screw over Kamala that isn't going to happen.

Kamala is worse than Trump no matter how Democrats want to spin it.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    2 months ago
Kamala is worse than Trump ...

Very few people are worse for this nation than Trump.   Harris, although not even close to my choice, would at least be a decent human being who will work for the good of the nation rather than the good of herself.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.1    2 months ago
Very few people are worse for this nation than Trump.

Opinions do vary.    Greatly in this case.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.3  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.1    2 months ago

I'll believe it when I see/hear joe say it...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    2 months ago
Unless the Democrats screw over Kamala that isn't going to happen.

That is Pelosi's plan.

There isn't anyone on the democrat bench that is a credible candidate.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    2 months ago

Kamala is the worst option for democrats but because of their biological obsessions they can’t ditch her.  For  starters,  an outsider who hasn’t Participated in the cover up of Biden’s fitness would be much better. 

Biden has endorsed her. He’s been totally broken and/or received a handsome enough payoff to roll over and show his belly to Obama.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.6  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.4    2 months ago

I think it's going to be very interesting to watch and see who party leadership backs. Will they follow 
Biden's lead to make Harris the top of the ticket? If they don't, how large a slap in the face to Harris if she remains as the VP candidate on the ticket. And if Harris is removed from the ticket all together, what happens with the money donated to the Biden/Harris campaign? There are some very strict rules from the FEC on how that money can be handed. It's an easy bet that if Harris is not on the ticket then Republicans will launch all sorts of legal challenges to make that money as untouchable as it can be.

What a plot twist this weekend has brought.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.6    2 months ago
Biden's lead to make Harris the top of the ticket?

He hasn’t endorsed her yet.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
2.1.8  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1    2 months ago

In what way? Give us a list. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.5    2 months ago

Funny how things turned out.

Joe got called on a debate bluff and now he is gone.

He was only a proxy anyway. The swine that instituted those policies are still right there.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.10  Snuffy  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1.7    2 months ago

Yes he has. His endorsement came out about 10 minutes after his post on X where he announced he was ending his campaign.

President Joe Biden endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris to become the Democrats presidential candidate.

Biden drops out of presidential race and endorses Kamala Harris: Live | Reuters

Gsquared
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Gsquared  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.9    2 months ago
the swine

That's from the same person who was shrieking about Democrats "dehumanizing" their opponents just the other day.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.10    2 months ago

Thanks, hadn’t seen that.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.1    2 months ago
would at least be a decent human being who will work for the good of the nation rather than the good of herself.

The folks who could longer work for her might disagree.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.9    2 months ago

Funny how things turned out.

it really is. If there had been a red wave in 2022, there’s a good chance this all plays out in 2022/2023 and their would have been a contested nomination, possibly without Biden ever trying to run again in the first place.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.14    2 months ago

And if the world didn't get hit with covid in 2020, Trump might be finishing his second and final term.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.6    2 months ago
Will they follow Biden's lead to make Harris the top of the ticket?

I think they will, but they will try to make it look like it is the will of democrat voters. Everything is messaging with them and Pelosi is working it all out behind the scenes.

If they don't, how large a slap in the face to Harris if she remains as the VP candidate on the ticket. And if Harris is removed from the ticket all together, what happens with the money donated to the Biden/Harris campaign?

The party of identity politics can't escape Harris. The media will have to prop her up and make her look somewhat intelligent.

There are some very strict rules from the FEC on how that money can be handed. It's an easy bet that if Harris is not on the ticket then Republicans will launch all sorts of legal challenges to make that money as untouchable as it can be.

I believe you have that right.

What a plot twist this weekend has brought.

No matter how they package this, it has been a nightmare for democrats.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.17  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.15    2 months ago
covid in 2020, Trump might be finishing his second and final term.

Very likely. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.18  Right Down the Center  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.8    2 months ago

It will be easier to give a list of things she is good at or better than Trump:

1:

George
Junior Expert
2.1.19  George  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.18    2 months ago

1: Romancing the bone? 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
2.1.20  Gazoo  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.13    2 months ago

The folks who could longer work for her might disagree.”

And there are a lot of them from multiple campaigns and multiple jobs.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.21  Ozzwald  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.18    2 months ago

It will be easier to give a list of things she is good at or better than Trump:

1:

Translation, once again you are reply to a comment with nothing whatsoever to contribute.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Sparty On  replied to  Gazoo @2.1.20    2 months ago

Oh yeah, she might actually give Hillary some competition in the most impossible to work with category 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.23  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.1    2 months ago

How is that border czar thingy going with her?

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.24  bugsy  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.4    2 months ago

Would not surprise me if the good doctor Biden put as part of the deal of Joe dropping out that Harris would bot be his replacement, no matter if he endorses her or not. 
She hates her that much since she called Joe a racist (he is) openly in public on the debate stage……and is still pissed she was chosen as the VP, probably because she checked certain boxes. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.25  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.22    2 months ago
Oh yeah, she might actually give Hillary some competition in the most impossible to work with category

How much quitting and firing went on during the Trump administration?  And many of his own cabinet members refuse to endorse him and would not work for him again.  So who is the most impossible to work with again???

And then there were ten: With 85% turnover across President Trump’s A Team, who remains?

15071.jpeg

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.26  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.25    2 months ago

Quitting and getting fired are two different things. You quit because you don't agree. You get fired because you aren't doing a satisfactory job.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.27  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.26    2 months ago
Quitting and getting fired are two different things.

They are 2 aspects of "turn over". 

You might quit because you dislike working with someone and you might get fired because someone dislikes working with you.  If you would actually look at the comment thread we are talking people's inability to work with Trump and Harris.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.28  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.25    2 months ago

Whataboutism at its best but yeah I think we agree.    
They are both pricks to work for.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.29  Ozzwald  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.28    2 months ago
They are both pricks to work for.

So which one did you work for to hold such 1st hand knowledge?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.30  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.29    2 months ago

[]

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.31  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.29    2 months ago

Staffers who worked for Harris before she was vice president said one consistent problem was that Harris would refuse to wade into briefing materials prepared by staff members, then berate employees when she appeared unprepared.”

But the quartet of soon-to-be-empty desks reignited questions about why Harris churns through top-level Democratic staff, an issue that has colored her nearly 18 years in public service, including her historic but uneven first year as vice president. Now, those questions about her management extend to whether it will hamper her ability to seek and manage the presidency.”

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.32  Vic Eldred  replied to  bugsy @2.1.24    2 months ago

All that is true, but Jill couldn't stop the party bosses.

The bottom line was that democrat voter enthusiasm for Joe Biden had hit a critically low point. However, there is a load of baggage with Harris.

Do you know how bad Harris Is?  Imagine having to be coached just to attend a dinner?

In April 2022,  Harris was the guest for a dinner at D.C. news mogul David Bradley's home — a salon-style event Bradley hosts with Washington journalists and newsmakers.

• Harris' anxiety about the dinner was such that her staff held a mock dinner beforehand, with staffers playing participants, according to two people familiar with the event.
  • Harris aides even considered including wine in the mock prep so Harris could practice with a glass or two.
  • They ultimately decided against it.

Biden's doubts about Harris' chances delayed his exit (axios.com)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.33  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.29    2 months ago

[]

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.34  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.27    2 months ago

Well show us the stats on the Harris’ staff. You will probably be surprised 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.35  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.34    2 months ago

Let me help you with that one.

Rapid turnover of staff Analysis by news website Axios found that the high turnover in the last three-and-a-half years meant that only five of the 47 people listed as being in her employ in 2021 were still with her by spring this year.

And that's as V P. So, you were saying?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @2    2 months ago

Who ya got in mind?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3  Mark in Wyoming     2 months ago

now all one can do is wait and see who rises to the top as the lead candidate  for the party.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @3    2 months ago

One lucky so and so!

George
Junior Expert
3.2  George  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @3    2 months ago

Biden has “fully” endorsed Harris. So we shall see what pull he still has. The bottom line is the mega donors will pick the next nominee. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.2.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  George @3.2    2 months ago

I will wait and see .

its Not my party and i wont cry if i want too.

you just started singing that in your head .

George
Junior Expert
3.2.2  George  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @3.2.1    2 months ago

Yes I did damn you!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.2.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  George @3.2.2    2 months ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

bet a lot of people did .

squiggy
Junior Silent
3.2.4  squiggy  replied to  George @3.2    2 months ago

"...see what pull he still has..."

He's down the stairs because he's senile. Who would embrace his judgement, now?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.2.5  Right Down the Center  replied to  squiggy @3.2.4    2 months ago

The dems and MSM are trying to portray Biden as a saint for leaving like it was actually his choice.  Joe was pushed out kicking and screaming, make no mistake about that.

Hallux
Professor Principal
4  Hallux    2 months ago

Welcome to the coming of the Age of Queens.

GregTx
Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  GregTx  replied to  Hallux @4    2 months ago

So you think Harris/Whitmer?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  GregTx @4.1    2 months ago

Considering all the crap Whitmer pulled in Michigan during the Covid lockdowns (I have family who live in Michigan), there would be many more attack ads using that info against the ticket. Whitmer carries a lot of baggage for that ticket.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.1    2 months ago

How about Pete (Beaver Cleaver) Buttigieg?

Too wordy?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.2    2 months ago

That is a mouthful...

Wasn't it one of the digs used against Trump back in the 2016 election that he had no government experience and was totally unprepared for the job? I don't see where Buttigieg has gained any real experience for the position. Perhaps he might if he spends another 12 years working at the federal level AND pulls his head out of his ass. But that may be asking too much of him.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  GregTx @4.1    2 months ago

I read yesterday or the day before , that a staffer for Whitmer told the press that she has no inclination to run as pres or VP this cycle  at all. 

that of course could change .

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Snuffy @4.1.3    2 months ago
That is a mouthful...

low hanging fruit , wont go there , but i will insinuate .......

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.3    2 months ago
I don't see where Buttigieg has gained any real experience for the position.

I don't either. As a matter of fact, the position kind of exposed his for being just another DEI hire.

How about Newscum?  I suppose the problem with him is that his policies in CA are similar to Biden's national program.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.4    2 months ago
I read yesterday or the day before , that a staffer for Whitmer told the press that she has no inclination to run as pres or VP this cycle  at all. 

Give her credit. Running against Harris is the big trap.

GregTx
Professor Guide
4.1.9  seeder  GregTx  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.7    2 months ago
As a matter of fact, the position kind of exposed his for being just another DEI hire.

That's the same problem that Harris has. Why not go with a DEI ticket?..

How about Newscum? I suppose the problem with him is that his policies in CA are similar to Biden's national program.

That and he's a white male...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  GregTx @4.1.9    2 months ago
Why not go with a DEI ticket?.

I hope they do. The American public has seen a lot in the past few weeks. They have been educated.

That and he's a white male.

The kind Brylcreem used to use in advertisements.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.1    2 months ago

Whitmer is universally liked in urban shitholes like Detroit.       She is universally disliked in most the rest of the state.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.12  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.6    2 months ago

stop using logic and reason...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1.13  Ronin2  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.11    2 months ago

Agreed.

Whitless runs and I will happily make endless youtube attack adds against her not just on her Covid policies- which she and her husband violated every last one of; but on her Midland, MI damn fiasco that cost the state money and lives just to save some endangered mussels- which exist elsewhere in the US.

Of course Whitless and Nessel sued the company and won. All for following judges orders on not lowering the water levels from the states previous lawsuits. 

When it comes to bad decisions; that is all that Whitless makes.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.14  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @4.1.13    2 months ago
her Midland, MI damn fiasco that cost the state money and lives just to save some endangered mussels- which exist elsewhere in the US.

wow, she must be quaking in her boots over such a threat jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    2 months ago

thus ends one of the most spectacular hoaxes in American political history, where  the msm and the Democratic Party conspired for years to gaslight half the public into believing Joe Biden was capable of being president despite what their eyes and ears told them.

Another mortal blow to the credibility of  our governing institutions.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    2 months ago
the most spectacular hoaxes in American political history

the most spectacular hoax in American history was that Donald Trump was EVER fit to be president.

George
Junior Expert
6  George    2 months ago

Place your bets, are the democrats going to kick an African American women to the curb to replace her with another white man?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  George @6    2 months ago

Nancy will try to do it with a message to fool black voters.

Can she fool them?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  George @6    2 months ago

Except she isn’t African American 

George
Junior Expert
6.2.1  George  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2    2 months ago

She is whatever the mainstream media says she is and they will call you racist if you disagree.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2    2 months ago

Jamaican and Indian.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
6.2.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2.2    2 months ago

Both cultures prepare goat deliciously.

bugsy
Professor Participates
6.2.4  bugsy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.2    2 months ago

When she became California’AG, she was advertised as the first Jamaican I dian to be voted as such

In 2020 she was advertised as the first African American to be elected VP

Just depends on what segment of society you are trying to fool.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  George @6    2 months ago

The very worst the DNC could do is nominate a Squad member.😆

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
6.4  arkpdx  replied to  George @6    2 months ago

Only if they can find a lesbian handicapped minority to run

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    2 months ago

Outstanding, disenfranchising 14+ million voters …… as I believe was the plan from the start.

Awesome party those Democrat elitists.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Sparty On @7    2 months ago

I guess the “virtual roll call” is now OBE.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @7    2 months ago

Well, sometimes you have to break a few eggs if you want to save a democracy!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.2    2 months ago

lol …. 

squiggy
Junior Silent
7.3  squiggy  replied to  Sparty On @7    2 months ago

... the party of early voting...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.3.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  squiggy @7.3    2 months ago
the party of early voting...

Example 1A of how stupid it is. 

George
Junior Expert
8  George    2 months ago

So are democrats now willing to admit that Joe is mentally incapable of doing the job of president or are they going to continue to lie?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1  Sparty On  replied to  George @8    2 months ago

They knew it from the start.    He made for a useful puppet.    He is no longer useful to them so they discard him like yesterday’s paper.

The people involved here have no shame.    They are only interested in power.    Nothing else.

Hallux
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @8.1    2 months ago
The people involved here have no shame.    They are only interested in power.    Nothing else.

Snert!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @8.1.1    2 months ago

[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @8.1.2    2 months ago

Snert is another way to spell snort. Other than that, it is a Dutch pea soup.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @8.1.3    2 months ago

[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  Sparty On @8.1.4    2 months ago

[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  George @8    2 months ago

What they seem to be saying is that he is too incapable to serve another term, but capable enough to finish this one.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2    2 months ago

Bazinga!

George
Junior Expert
8.2.2  George  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2    2 months ago

There is nothing to stop him from pardoning Hunter now, I fully expect that to happen next.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  George @8.2.2    2 months ago

If he isn't saying Hunter who?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
8.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  George @8    2 months ago

Biden and the dems big lie has been exposed for all to see. Now that it is over the next step for them is a case of popcorn worthy

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9  Vic Eldred    2 months ago

A new poll  published  Friday found that six in 10 Democrats believe Harris would do a good job as president, but only three in 10 overall believe similarly. 

Pelosi privately favors open nomination above Harris endorsement (msn.com)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @9    2 months ago

Sure, might as well screw Harris over as well while you’re at it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @9.1    2 months ago

I think they want it to look like they were leaving it up to their voters.

In fact, the people who will get screwed are those who make the mistake of running against Harris.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10  Sparty On    2 months ago

So much for Letterman’s Biden fund raiser.

Top Ten list of Democrats screwing over Democrats

10). Disenfranchise over 14 million voters

9).  Screw Letterman over

8). Screw Harris over as well

7). 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sparty On @10    2 months ago

The media will try and clean it up for them.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @10.1    2 months ago
he media will try and clean it up for them.

Their coverage of Harris will make that of obama in 2008 look critical. They have three weeks of acting like actual reporters to make up for. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
10.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @10.1.1    2 months ago

The good part is that I doubt they fool anyone anymore.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
10.2  Ronin2  replied to  Sparty On @10    2 months ago

When will the Democrats next hold a legitimate primary is the real question.

Screwed on Bernie in 2016 in favor or Hillary; screwed over the whole field of Democrats in favor of Joe; and now they are screwing over Joe in favor of.......?

They are expecting their lemming followers to vote for the check the box meat bag (functioning, cognitive, rational, moral, ethic human being not needed) they throw in front of them because it has a D stamped on it.

We will see how many Democrat voters have minds of their own.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
11  MrFrost    2 months ago

Doesn't really change my vote....I'll be voting Democrat regardless who get's the nomination. 

GregTx
Professor Guide
11.1  seeder  GregTx  replied to  MrFrost @11    2 months ago

I know.

charger 383
Professor Silent
12  charger 383    2 months ago

But they keep telling us Joe was up to it.  By waiting they have lost more credibility 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
12.1  Split Personality  replied to  charger 383 @12    2 months ago

He now has Covid and cannot campaign for several weeks,  He's probably had it since before the debate, he can't seem to give a speech without frequent coughing and throat clearing.

Maybe he saw some recent Biden reruns and realized he doesn't have 4 more years of the demands that this puts on the body.

In any case it was an incredible act of patriotism over clinging to power at any cost.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
12.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Split Personality @12.1    2 months ago
credible act of patriotism over clinging to power at any cost.

Patriotism now meaning spending years gaslighting the public about his health and then finally owning up to it when he was out of options.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
12.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @12.1    2 months ago
an incredible act of patriotism

HE WAS PUSHED OUT!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
12.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @12.1.2    2 months ago

HE WAS PUSHED OUT!

All that's getting swept under the rug quicker than an unwanted Biden grandchild.

squiggy
Junior Silent
12.1.4  squiggy  replied to  Split Personality @12.1    2 months ago
Maybe he saw some recent Biden reruns...

Maybe he fell up the stairs, again.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
12.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  Vic Eldred @12.1.2    2 months ago

HE WAS PUSHED OUT!

PROVE IT! 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
12.1.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @12.1.5    2 months ago

Lol... Is Blueanon denying every printed story from the last two weeks now?

Here's Biden's closest aid:

Now that the donors and electeds have pushed out the only candidate who has ever beaten Trump..

But sure, Ron Klain is MAGA or something..

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
12.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  MrFrost @12.1.5    2 months ago

Exactly, Joe would have come to the same conclusion even if no elected Dem had told him to stop the campaign.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
12.1.8  Right Down the Center  replied to  MrFrost @12.1.5    2 months ago

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNatj2c-EhMe2Jv63T6ru0S-DBiqbzLbc_DQ&s

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
12.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Right Down the Center @12.1.8    2 months ago

Tak’in him to the train station.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
12.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @12.1    2 months ago

At least the press won’t have Biden to kick around much more.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
12.1.11  Ronin2  replied to  Right Down the Center @12.1.8    2 months ago

Joe is going over the same cliff Democrats tried to claim Republicans were going to push grand mothers over if the PPACA wasn't passed.

Of course the cliff Dems are pushing Joe over is real. Unlike their fake grand mother claim.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
12.1.12  Greg Jones  replied to  Split Personality @12.1    2 months ago

Not really, since it's unlikely he did it willingly. TPTB knew he had no chance against Trump. Biden is no patriot.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
12.1.13  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @12.1.5    2 months ago

Oh come on, man.  jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
Professor Guide
12.1.14  Split Personality  replied to  Greg Jones @12.1.12    2 months ago
since it's unlikely he did it willingly.

How then did he announce Gregg?  Was there anything that could force him? Why did he already endorse Harris?  He has Covid and is going to miss more campaigning at a critical time.

TPTB knew he had no chance against Trump. Biden is no patriot.

That's your opinion.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.1.15  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @12.1.2    2 months ago

Its truly comical to watch far right wingers go from trying to push Biden out every day for the past year to now saying he was treated unfairly.  You wanted him out and now you will most likely regret it. Whoever the Democrats nominate it is going to be someone who can take it to Trump every day and demonstrate how phenomenally unfit for office he is. It is not even slightly difficult. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12.1.17  Sparty On  replied to  Split Personality @12.1.14    2 months ago
Was there anything that could force him?

The right number.     $$$

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
12.1.18  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @12.1.15    2 months ago
ou wanted him out and now you will most likely regret it.

That's strange. This morning you were attacking right wingers for wanting and trying to keep Biden in the race.

It is not even slightly difficult. 

It  should be  difficult to go from claiming "Biden is fine, everyone who suggests otherwise is lying" to "of course biden should drop out, it's not even a difficult choice" over the course of a couple days. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
12.1.19  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Sean Treacy @12.1.18    2 months ago

Situational replies?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12.1.20  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @12.1.15    2 months ago

What an ignorant comment.

The left and the media carried Biden’s water for nearly five years.     People here did the same.     Now he is suddenly  unqualified?     Hilarious no matter how hard folks try to spin it otherwise.

The guy was never qualified but his handlers were ….. now his handlers have decided it’s time for Joe to go.

With friends like that, Joe don’t need no enemies

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.1.21  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @12.1.18    2 months ago
That's strange. This morning you were attacking right wingers for wanting and trying to keep Biden in the race.

For a year they wanted him out. Now when it got close to happening they changed their tune.  Nothing I said is at all inconsistent. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
12.1.22  Vic Eldred  replied to  MrFrost @12.1.5    2 months ago

House Democratic leader Hakeem Jeffries and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, both of New York, as well as Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., the former House speaker, have spent weeks listening to their members’ concerns and  relaying them to Biden and his campaign . Publicly, all three have said they support whatever decision Biden makes, but even behind closed doors, they haven’t told congressional Democrats to get behind Biden or given them any guidance about what they should do.

“Can we all just remember for a minute that these same people who are trying to push Joe Biden out are the same people who literally gave us all Donald Trump? In 2015, Obama, Pelosi, Schumer pushed Biden aside in favor of Hillary; they were wrong then, and they are wrong now,” the source told NBC News.

Biden angry over Democratic leaders' wavering support (nbcnews.com)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
12.1.24  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @12.1.15    2 months ago

No john, it was Pelosi & co who wanted Biden out, not Republicans.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
12.1.25  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @12.1.24    2 months ago

There have been hundreds if not thousands of comments on  THIS SITE over the past year flat out saying or implying that Biden was unfit to run for president. 

Now you all are going to change your tune. It is truly amazing. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
12.1.27  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @12.1.25    2 months ago
Now you all are going to change your tune. It is truly amazing.

Most  Republicans were very happy to attack Joe Biden's unfitness, let Democrats lie about it and keep Joe Biden on the ballot, particularly after he won the nomination of the party that ultimately decided to kick him off the ballot weeks later.  

George
Junior Expert
12.1.28  George  replied to  JohnRussell @12.1.25    2 months ago

He is absolutely unfit to be president now! And I’m not saying he was treated unfairly what we are pointing out is the absolute hypocrisy of the democrats and mainstream media telling us how fit he was while shoving him out the door, democrats in congress and the Biden sycophants are liars factors greater than Trump could hope to attain.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
12.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  charger 383 @12    2 months ago

[deleted][]

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
12.3  Colour Me Free  replied to  charger 383 @12    2 months ago

I agree 383, and I feel bad for President Biden in that the people around him have known for a long time he was in decline, there was no way that they could not have seen it ... anyone that tried to point out his decline was an asshole (or worse) ... def is an interesting case of possible elder abuse.

I wanted Biden to run in 2016 ... Biden said his decision not to run was in his family’s best interests... now here lately 'we' are hearing that former President Obama discouraged Biden from running in 2016 - if true, was this because Obama saw the decline beginning to happen? By the time 2020 rolled around it seemed to me that Biden's cognitive abilities were in decline.  2020 was def an unprecedented election cycle, if not been for COVID and mail in ballots would Biden have won....?  The world shall never know  : ) .. and no I am not saying there was fraud or that the election was stolen - I am saying it was an unprecedented time.

Everything I have been reading says that Harris has to be on the ticket in order to keep the campaign funds, but does she have to be the head of the ticket to do so, or can she be left as VP and get the money?  Anyone?

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
12.3.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  GregTx @12.3.1    2 months ago

Thank you GregTx .. going to be interesting to watch the coming events unfold .... Alas it would appear 2024 will be yet another unprecedented election cycle.

P.s... it would seem to me that Dean Phillips is owed an apology from his fellow (D)s

MrFrost
Professor Guide
12.3.3  MrFrost  replied to  Colour Me Free @12.3    2 months ago
Everything I have been reading says that Harris has to be on the ticket in order to keep the campaign funds, but does she have to be the head of the ticket to do so, or can she be left as VP and get the money?  Anyone?

If it were to become an issue, all Biden has to do is resign, even one day before the end of his term, Harris is then POTUS, problem solved. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.3.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  MrFrost @12.3.3    2 months ago

I think the question being asked is , if Harris after the convention , is not the nominee, and that could happen still, whats going to happen to the tickets funding .

Some are likely of the mind to keep the campaign war chest of funds , at least one of the presumptive candidates has to be on the nominated ticket .

Harris is in a position , i doubt very many politicians would voluntarily get themselves into and i have a litany list of reasons and things she may not have time or be able  to overcome .

GregTx
Professor Guide
12.3.5  seeder  GregTx  replied to  MrFrost @12.3.3    2 months ago

How likely do you think it is that happens?

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
12.3.6  Colour Me Free  replied to  MrFrost @12.3.3    2 months ago

The only way it becomes an issue is if the vice president is shuffled off the big stage or possibly if she is not the head of the ticket, but even then, it looks like possibly the money can be spent before the FEC makes a decision... sooo .. there is no issue.  

Resign? I sincerely hope no one asks him to do that - the media and the party of (D) have turned on him, he is already on the ground, no reason to kick him in the gut with steel toed boots.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
12.3.7  Split Personality  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @12.3.4    2 months ago

Harris raised $5o million today from small donors.  T

hat smells like enthusiasm.

bugsy
Professor Participates
12.3.8  bugsy  replied to  Split Personality @12.3.7    2 months ago

Actually it smells

desperation.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.3.9  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Split Personality @12.3.7    2 months ago

I would actually say good for her.

i think it shows more that those that donated understand that runs for office costs money and what she needs is money for media advertisement out there separate from the Biden/ Harris ticket . 

And i would say that is smart of the donors if she is who they want .

I still think the convention will tell the tale .

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
12.3.10  Colour Me Free  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @12.3.9    2 months ago
 i think it shows more that those that donated understand that runs for office costs money and what she needs is money for media advertisement out there separate from the Biden/ Harris ticket .

True, and from what I have read last night and this morning, Hollywood has jumped on board behind Harris, as has one of Nikki Haley's supporter groups ... I wish her nothing but the best - yet cannot help remembering her campaign in 2020.  I question if she would have been the VP pick if not for her relationship with Beau Biden..

I cringed at the prospect of H. Clinton being the first female president .. double cringe now, at least H. was more than qualified for the job ... Harris? not so much

I still think the convention will tell the tale .

This turn of events is going to be interesting to watch!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.3.11  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Colour Me Free @12.3.10    2 months ago
going to be interesting to watch

I think it will be .

my understanding is Harris is lining up delegates won on the biden run to support her , thing i was curious to find out , was that the democrats have a loophole for their already pledged delegates if the candidate should step down or die 

its the continence vote , if what i mentioned happened , pledged delegates get to vote their continence basically .

i can see a lot of pressure being applied there  from all sides within the party .

evilone
Professor Guide
12.3.12  evilone  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @12.3.11    2 months ago
...thing i was curious to find out , was that the democrats have a loophole for their already pledged delegates if the candidate should step down or die 

There has been some confusing information put out about this, but what I gather is there are no formal rules in place at this time. There is a party rules committee that are working on voting rules running up to the convention next month. Several people within the party have called to keep these rules and processes transparent. I've also heard the plan to have a voice vote via telephone prior to the convention is still on.

So... take that all with a grain of salt. Nothing is formal until the Party delegates vote.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.3.13  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  evilone @12.3.12    2 months ago

agreed, the party can and will set and make  its own rules ,like i have been saying and will continue to , we have to wait and see .

wondering if i have enough popcorn on hand .

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
12.3.14  Colour Me Free  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @12.3.11    2 months ago
my understanding is Harris is lining up delegates won on the biden run to support her , thing i was curious to find out , was that the democrats have a loophole for their already pledged delegates if the candidate should step down or die

I emailed my old poli sci prof at the U of M, his response is that delegates are not actually pledged until the convention, thus he feels that since Biden was not yet the official nominee that allows the delegates to vote their conscience.

When I think back there was not much of a (D) primary to start with - states were skipped, candidates left off ballots - with all the screaming about threats to democracy it was not a very 'democratic' way of doing things.  The DNC was even pushing for an early roll call to make Biden the official nominee ahead of the convention.

I did a lil reading regarding the 1968 convention when Robert Kennedy was assassinated before being made the nominee .. look how that convention turned out .. one major difference between then and now is that the Vietnam war was in full swing in '68.  History cannot be rewritten, but I guess the rules of the game can be changed while still playing .... perhaps?

No one knows what is going to happen - that is what makes this so fascinating 

Peace ...

evilone
Professor Guide
12.3.15  evilone  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @12.3.13    2 months ago
wondering if i have enough popcorn on hand .

Several delegates are on record of saying they want an open convention, which party leadership does not want. I've just read online Harris has 700 pledged delegates now a third of the number she needs to lock in her nomination. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
12.3.16  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  evilone @12.3.15    2 months ago

i dont have THAT much popcorn , they have to bring their own .

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
12.3.17  Colour Me Free  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @12.3.16    2 months ago

I am planning on making extra .. I will share...

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
12.4  Ozzwald  replied to  charger 383 @12    2 months ago
But they keep telling us Joe was up to it.

And nothing they've said indicates he isn't.  Democrats just feel someone else has a better chance after his debate performance.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
12.4.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @12.4    2 months ago
And nothing they've said indicates he isn't.

Rep Jamie Raskin's letter to Joe used a baseball analogy with the pitcher's arm fading and the need to retire him from the mound.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
12.4.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12.4.1    2 months ago
Rep Jamie Raskin's letter to Joe used a baseball analogy with the pitcher's arm fading and the need to retire him from the mound.

Failing does not equal failed. Peyton Manning went to the Superbowl, and won, when everyone said his arm was "failing".

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
12.4.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @12.4.2    2 months ago

Exactly, everyone knows Joe was good for four more years.  Dems just lobbied for him to withdraw because they didn’t like that he had one bad night.

Their ambition surpass loyalty to Joe.  I’ll bet he feels betrayed in the Dem Game of Thrones.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
12.4.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12.4.3    2 months ago
Exactly, everyone knows Joe was good for four more years.

Apparently everyone except for   charger 383 , since he was the one I was responding to.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
12.4.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ozzwald @12.4.4    2 months ago
Apparently everyone except for charger 383 , since he was the one I was responding to.

Few things are 100%.

George
Junior Expert
13  George    2 months ago

Currently the worst job in Washington, the person that has tell President Biden that he just dropped out of the race.

GregTx
Professor Guide
13.1  seeder  GregTx  replied to  George @13    2 months ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

George
Junior Expert
13.2  George  replied to  George @13    2 months ago

Everyday for the next six months.

GregTx
Professor Guide
13.2.2  seeder  GregTx  replied to  George @13.2    2 months ago

squiggy
Junior Silent
14  squiggy    2 months ago

JD's looking at twelve years in Fat City.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
14.1  MrFrost  replied to  squiggy @14    2 months ago

JD's looking at twelve years in Fat City.

If trumps supporters don't hang him first. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
15  Sean Treacy    2 months ago

People pushed out an honorable man, loving father and a great president before an absolute sleazeball like [Robert]  Menendez . Congratulations.

Senator John Fetterman on what his party cares about.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @15    2 months ago
People pushed out an honorable man, loving father and a great president

admirable hindsight on your part

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
15.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @15.1    2 months ago

lol!

George
Junior Expert
15.1.2  George  replied to  JohnRussell @15.1    2 months ago

He was quoting Fetterman, why is Menendez still a senator?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
15.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  George @15.1.2    2 months ago
He was quoting Fetterman, why is Menendez still a senator?

Good question, another one is why does Fetterman style have a driver’s license, given his driving record.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  George @15.1.2    2 months ago

Same reason Biden is still the POTUS, he hasn't resigned yet and there's apparently nothing that can be done about it.  He may very well be still collecting his pay and or pension when he reports to jail.

But that's the system.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.2  Split Personality  replied to  Sean Treacy @15    2 months ago

A decade on this site and you don't know how to do a proper quotation yet ?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
16  Right Down the Center    2 months ago

It will be interesting to hear what Kamala has to say including trying to back away from having knowledge of Joes incapacity to be president yet going along with the big Biden lie.  Hopefully she can put away her word salad machine before speaking, it doesn't make her look very presidential.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
17  Right Down the Center    2 months ago

2 beeps from Biden:

668b60194fea4.jpeg

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
18  arkpdx    2 months ago

MrFrost
Professor Guide
18.1  MrFrost  replied to  arkpdx @18    2 months ago

Exactly, no republican will vote for a minority. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
18.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  MrFrost @18.1    2 months ago

I do know about that. There were many people myself included that would vote for Nikki Haley. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
18.1.2  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @18.1    2 months ago

I would in a heartbeat.

George
Junior Expert
19  George    2 months ago

The Obama’s have come out for an open convention and didn’t endorse Harris. That’s going to leave a mark.

GregTx
Professor Guide
19.1  seeder  GregTx  replied to  George @19    2 months ago

But Clinton does,

"We are honored to join the President in endorsing Vice President Harris and will do whatever we can to support her," the Clintons declared in their joint statement.

George
Junior Expert
19.1.1  George  replied to  GregTx @19.1    2 months ago

Who? Are they still relevant in anyway? 

GregTx
Professor Guide
19.1.2  seeder  GregTx  replied to  George @19.1.1    2 months ago

They think so. It will be interesting to see who does...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
19.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  George @19    2 months ago
bama’s have come out for an open convention and didn’t endorse Harris

That's interesting.  The reporting I read earlier was Michelle Obama was working very closely with Harris to work donors/staffers for her.  Either Michelle changed her mind or they are waiting to endorse until after the news of Biden's resignation grows stale. 

George
Junior Expert
20  George    2 months ago

Holy ricochet Batman. Someone takes a shot at trump and it kills the Biden campaign.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
20.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  George @20    2 months ago

unintended consequences

and i think there are a few more back eddying that some people aren't seeing as well , or not wanting to see and hoping others dont either ..

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
20.2  Ronin2  replied to  George @20    2 months ago

I don't think the assassination attempt killed the Biden campaign.

I think as soon as Trump officially became the nominee and selected Vance- instead of a more moderate VP; Democrats felt safe to ditch Joe once and for all.

Joe can't beat Trump for sure; but Democrats are hoping someone on their bench who is younger and more acceptable to youth with no baggage  can. Problem is their bench is bare of well know candidates at the national level who haven't made a mess of things.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
20.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ronin2 @20.2    2 months ago
don't think the assassination attempt killed the Biden campaign.

Trump was on camera a day or two after the debate stating he ended Biden's candidacy with the debate and Harris would be the nominee. 

George
Junior Expert
20.2.2  George  replied to  Sean Treacy @20.2.1    2 months ago

And I bet the left wing fact checkers rated that a lie. Wonder if we will see a retraction? 

George
Junior Expert
21  George    2 months ago

Does this make Biden the earliest lame duck president in history? 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
21.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  George @21    2 months ago

I think it makes him the one that held out the longest before announcing he would not seek or drop out of the race .

in that respect he only has truman and LBJ as company as an incumbent .

What might have been worse , and has happened before , is being the incumbent , and failing to get the party nomination for the general , that has happened to a few others. and when it happened the ones that replaced them lost the general . 

So there is history . And i cant blame the party for trying to avoid something like that .

Snuffy
Professor Participates
21.2  Snuffy  replied to  George @21    2 months ago

Isn't any president at the start of their second term sometimes considered a lame duck president?

George
Junior Expert
21.2.1  George  replied to  Snuffy @21.2    2 months ago
A president is a lame duck after a successor has been elected, during which time the outgoing president and president-elect usually embark on a transition of power.

Biden has conceded the election, to either the democrats or republicans, his agenda is now officially dead.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
21.2.2  Snuffy  replied to  George @21.2.1    2 months ago
A president is a lame duck after a successor has been elected, during which time the outgoing president and president-elect usually embark on a transition of power.

It can also be ..

The status can be due to: having lost a re-election bid. choosing not to seek another term, which would start at the expiration of the current term. a term limit which prevents the official from running for that particular office again.

I bolded that last bit to point it out because this is where I thought that a president who has just started his second term could also be considered a lame duck.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
22  sandy-2021492    2 months ago

Meta cleaned up in thread @12.1

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
23  Sean Treacy    2 months ago

Looks like we can rule out Shapiro for VP..

A Jewish VP causes concerns for democrats, per cnn

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
23.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Sean Treacy @23    2 months ago

And Newsom, both hail from the same state , that pesky constitution thing .