╌>

Suddenly Trump Looks Older and More Deranged

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  hallux  •  3 months ago  •  152 comments

By:   Anne Applebaum - The Atlantic

Suddenly Trump Looks Older and More Deranged

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Four days after the end of the Republican National Convention, it suddenly looks like a very different event. I watched it intermittently, on television, along with  perhaps 25 million other Americans  (a relatively small number, though enough to matter). I focused on the highlights, like most viewers did. I read the analysis and thought I understood what had happened. But in the light of President Joe Biden’s brave and unprecedented decision to drop out of the race, my memory of what Donald Trump and his party were doing and saying has permanently shifted. I suspect this will be true for at least some of the other 25 million of us too.

Whatever happens next, the frame has altered. Now it is the Republicans who are saddled with the elderly candidate, the one who can’t make a clear argument or finish a sentence without veering off into anecdote. Now the Democrats are instead proposing something new. Now it is the many pundits who were already bored by the race and ready to wrap it up who look foolish.

Remember, if you still can: The Republican convention was a carefully curated, meticulously planned presentation. As my colleague Tim Alberta has said, the theme was “strength.” Strength was expressed by exaggerated, absurd, comic-book figures: Hulk Hogan, Kid Rock. The latter chanted “Fight, fight!” and “Trump, Trump!” while pumping his fist. Then he sang “American Bad Ass,” an unlistenable work of profound dissonance. Trump himself walked into the convention hall to the strains of James Brown’s famously misogynistic anthem “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World.”

Read: This is exactly what the Trump team feared

Strength was implied by the equally choreographed demonstrations of debasement. Nikki Haley, who had repeatedly questioned whether Trump is “mentally fit” to be president—and  had declared  that “the first party to retire its 80-year-old candidate” will win the election—offered her “strong endorsement.” The vice-presidential nominee, J. D. Vance, who had previously compared Trump to Hitler and described him as “ cultural heroin ,” performed a kind of kowtow, appearing at the convention in the form of supplicant, acolyte, prodigal son. Like so many other Republicans, he bowed to the power of Trump, to the vulgarity of Hulk Hogan, to a whole host of things he used to say he didn’t like, and maybe still doesn’t like. He even made a peculiar, strained attempt to link his children and his wife, the daughter of South Asian immigrants, to a cemetery in East Kentucky where he said they will be buried, as if none of this will make sense until all of us are dead.

But then Trump himself appeared, and it was as if the emperor with no clothes had taken the stage. There was nothing strong about an overweight, heavily made up yet nevertheless shiny-faced elderly man who rambled and babbled for an hour and a half, completely undermining the slick image created in the previous four days. He began by sticking to his script, solemnly referencing the failed assassination attempt against him days before. But even when telling that story, he could not master the appropriate tone and almost immediately changed the subject. “And there’s an interesting statistic,” he said: “The ears are the bloodiest part. If something happens with the ears, they bleed more than any other part of the body. For whatever reason, the doctors told me that.”

Eventually, instead of sounding like an “American Bad Ass,” he   digressed into pure gibberish . One example:

They’re coming from prisons. They’re coming from jails. They’re coming from mental institutions and insane asylums. I—you know the press is always on because I say this. Has anyone seen   The Silence of the Lambs ? The late, great Hannibal Lecter. He’d love to have you for dinner. That’s insane asylums. They’re emptying out their insane asylums. And terrorists at numbers that we’ve never seen before. Bad things are going to happen.

Another:

In Venezuela, Caracas, high crime, high crime. Caracas, Venezuela, really a dangerous place. But not anymore, because in Venezuela, crime is down 72 percent. In fact, if they would ever in this election, I hate to even say that, we will have our next Republican convention in Venezuela because it will be safe. Our cities, our cities will be so unsafe, we won’t be able—we will not be able to have it there.

On Thursday evening, this performance seemed deranged, sinister, and frightening. Now, following Biden’s decision to halt his own campaign, it just looks deranged. On the one hand, we have a sitting president who understood his limitations and, in an act of patriotism, selflessness, and party unity, decided to step away from power. On the other hand, we have a former president clinging to power, holding on desperately to the myth of a lost election, evoking the same predictable descriptions of carnage and disaster he served up eight years ago. Today, he is still attacking Biden, who is no longer his opponent.

Read: A searing reminder that Trump is unwell

In retrospect, the Republican Party’s convention looks not just staged but also hollow and false. By contrast, the Democratic Party’s convention will be substantive and maybe even spontaneous. In the hours that have passed since Biden’s announcement, a million different Kamala Harris memes, music mixes, and clips have appeared online, not orchestrated by her campaign or by any campaign, just put together by random people, some of whom like her and some of whom do not. One   mash-up   of her wackier speeches, her laugh, and a Charli XCX soundtrack had 3.4 million views by this morning. We don’t know yet whether Harris will be the candidate or, if she is, whether she will be a good one, but the energy has already shifted from the men trying to impose their image of their party on the country to online Gen Zers who can flip the script any way they want.

I don’t know what will happen next, and that’s the point. The heavy sense of inevitability that surrounded the RNC has lifted. The cadres of people organized by the Heritage Foundation and a dozen offshoots, all quietly preparing to dismantle the rights of American women, to replace civil servants with loyalists, to take apart pollution controls, and to transfer more money into the hands of Trump-friendly billionaires—they are no longer marching inexorably toward the halls of power. The people who spent a week trying to bend reality to fit their flawed, vengeful candidate became too confident too soon.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 months ago

Panic cares not who it besets.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    3 months ago

I saw some book author on TV saying that trump is looking pretty bad now without the make up...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 months ago

I believe the words sallow, gaunt and yellowish is what he used to describe the make up free subject of his interviews...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    3 months ago

I've actually met trump back in the early part of this century at a motivational speaking tour he was in. I won the ticket in a sales contest, otherwise I wouldn't have gone. I couldn't go wash my hand soon enough after I shook his.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    3 months ago

What made you shake his hand?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.3    3 months ago

the ticket included a VIP meet and greet. he was in the reception line with the rest of the speakers...

the sales dept I was in was pressuring the staff to attend to buy tickets for the event because it would be so beneficial to our sales performance. I was vocal in my opposition to attend at a previous sales meeting with the logic that if the event was so beneficial, why wasn't the company paying for it? that statement made in the sales meeting by one of their top reps befuddled management and I then miraculously won an obscure made up sales award in the next meeting, which was the ticket. my trainee also won a VIP ticket and trump said something I considered sexist and totally unprofessional to her in the same reception line. she ended up quitting soon after.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
1.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1.4    3 months ago

Seems to me that you could have made a statement by refusing to shake his hand instead of going along to get along. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.5    3 months ago

she was beside me next in line, I had already shaken his hand. I wanted to gank the asshole right then.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 months ago
...More Deranged

Not sure thats possible. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 months ago

What's going on today with MAGA, is tea party fascism to the tenth power.

Trumps speeches today are eerily very similar to Hitler's from the thirties. Fascism never dies. It just hides under a rock until hate of the 'other' becomes popular again. 

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
2.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @2.1    3 months ago

[]

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    3 months ago

Trump has done gone round the bend. Trump's elevator does not reach the top floors anymore. Trump's butter slipped off his biscuit. He is not playing with a full deck. His cornbread is not done in the middle. Trump is plain off his goard nutters!

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  JBB @3    3 months ago

a festering boil on the ass of america...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2  cjcold  replied to  JBB @3    3 months ago

A couple cans shy of a six pack.

And it gets worse, exponentially, as months goes by.

Biden doesn't have dementia near as bad as Trump does.

Biden, however, cares enough about America to stand down.

Trump, however, only cares for himself.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @3.2    3 months ago
Biden doesn't have dementia near as bad as Trump does.

Thanks for you medical opinion.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  cjcold  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.2.1    3 months ago

Spent fifteen years as a paramedic. Who better than me?

Saw crazy every day.

Trump is the epitome of a narcissistic psychopath.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.3  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @3.2.2    3 months ago

It doesn't surprise me at all that a republican would try to kill him.

Trump is destroying the gop with his far-right wing insanity.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.4  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @3.2.2    3 months ago
Trump is the epitome of a narcissistic psychopath.

... that attracts others with mental issues.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @3.2.2    3 months ago
Who better than me?

Someone with access to:

• Neurological evaluation
  • Brain imagery scans
  • blood tests
Saw crazy every day.

Are you confusing dementia 3.2 with mental illness?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
3.2.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @3.2.3    3 months ago
It doesn't surprise me at all that a republican would try to kill him.

It doesn't surprise me that you see the assassination attempt as politically motivated.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    3 months ago
Now it is the Republicans who are saddled with the elderly candidate, the one who can’t make a clear argument or finish a sentence without veering off into anecdote.

They could still remedy that -  run his ass off the ballot. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    3 months ago
“The ears are the bloodiest part. If something happens with the ears, they bleed more than any other part of the body. For whatever reason, the doctors told me that.”

Thats Trump's version of a clever ad lib. 

CB
Professor Principal
5.1  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 months ago

Assassination attempt

Trump: “There’s an interesting statistic, the ears are the bloodiest part. If something happens with the ears, they bleed more than any other part of the body.”

Mostly True.

Trump said that in reference to the injury he sustained to the top of his right ear during the assassination attempt at his July 13 rally.

Although the ears do bleed heavily, PolitiFact could not identify statistical evidence that they are the “bloodiest part” of the body.

The ear gets most of its blood from a branch of the external carotid artery. An injury to an artery is prone to heavier bleeding, according to a study published in the European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery.

But other parts of the upper body might bleed more from an external injury, doctors said.

“The scalp is perhaps the most ‘bloody’ part of the body if injured or cut,” Céline Gounder, a physician, senior fellow at KFF and editor-at-large for public health at KFF Health News, told PolitiFact in an email. “But, in general, the head/neck is the ‘bloodiest’ part of the body. The ear is part of that.”

“​​An injury similar to what Trump sustained to the ear would bleed less if inflicted on a part of the body below the neck,” Gounder added.

I will let the reader decide this one. :)

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  CB @5.1    3 months ago

I see now that the FBI doesn't believe Trump was shot or contacted by a bullet.

More like he was splashed by blood and bone fragments from the spectator who died about 8 feet away from the former POTUS.

His physician stated that there was no wound only irritation and possible welling.

The "Ear Bag" came off after a week and the ear seemed 100% normal.

There are (incredibly) no photos of the wound and no one at the Butler hospital will speak about the incident at all.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.1    3 months ago

I wonder how many votes in swing states that will change?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.1    3 months ago

But Ronny Johnson-Jackson said there was a two cm flesh wound from a bullet.  It must have been immaculately healed.  

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.3    3 months ago

Awesome, I’m eight years younger but don’t heal so fast.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.4    3 months ago

Maybe Jesus just doesn’t love you as much as Trump.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.1    3 months ago
I see now that the FBI doesn't believe Trump was shot or contacted by a bullet.

funny how almost assassinated felon trump is reluctant to cooperate fully with the FBI investigation ...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.5    3 months ago

Maybe doesn’t love me at all.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.2    3 months ago

That probably depends on the next pearl of wisdom from JD Vance, the Senator

who wants people with children to not have to pay the same taxes as childless people.

One wonders which useful campaign idiot will tell JD about The Child Tax Credit Act part of the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.9  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.7    3 months ago

I’m his favorite atheist.  I just know it.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.10  Split Personality  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.3    3 months ago

Bullet or piece of bone from someonelse's skull, I guess it doesn't matter

but I read Jackson said there was only swelling, no sutures needed.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.11  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.10    3 months ago

I’d like to see a map showing the shooter’s position and the victims’ locations.  That must all be top secret or something.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.11    3 months ago
That must all be top secret or something.

Why would the Biden Administration be over classifying this?

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.13  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.11    3 months ago

I saw that map in an online article several days ago. I looked up the location on google maps, while I was watching it play out on TV, when a lady said she thought the shots came from the water tower. there was some different video available online of the perp catching a few slugs from ground level, and one from what had to have been an elevated security camera. maybe check youtube.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.8    3 months ago
who wants people with children to not have to pay the same taxes as childless people.

We are already there:

• Dependents
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • Credit for Other Dependents (ODC)
  • Child and Dependent Care Credit (CDCC)
  • American Opportunity Credit (AOTC)
  • Head of household (HOH) filing status

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.1    3 months ago

Former president Donald Trump was shot in the ear by a bullet or a bullet fragment during  the assassination attempt at one of his campaign rallies, the FBI said Friday,

A Washington Post analysis of photos and videos of the shooting found that former president Trump’s injury appears to be consistent with the attributes of a graze wound from a bullet and not that of bullet fragments, according to two trauma surgeons, Babak Sarani, director of trauma and acute care surgery at George Washington University Hospital, and Joseph Sakran, director of emergency general surgery at Johns Hopkins. The physicians reviewed the Post’s analysis.

“Usually shrapnel flies in random patterns. Because it’s shrapnel, right? It doesn’t go in a straight line. This really looks like a linear laceration is how I would describe,” Sarani told The Post. “So it’s something, it’s going in a straight line which makes you think it’s more the projectile itself, not shrapnel.”

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.16  Split Personality  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.11    3 months ago

The investigation is ongoing.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.17  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.15    3 months ago
The physicians reviewed the Post’s analysis.

But they didn't inspect the victim ?

Isn't that like one of us diagnosing Biden's or Trump's dementia  by what we see on TV?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.18  Split Personality  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.11    3 months ago

As of Wrays testimony, they had 8 cartridges but had not accounted for all 8 "landings".

Seems simple enough.  He was on a roof, prone facing the stage.

The direction is obvious. 

Maybe he fired at the counter sniper team and a couple rounds went high and far far away?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.19  Split Personality  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.14    3 months ago

I know, apparently Jd Vance doesn't.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.20  cjcold  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.15    3 months ago

Who gives a fuck? A registered republican fired shots at Trump.

Seems republicans do that sort of thing on a regular basis.  

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
5.1.21  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  cjcold @5.1.20    3 months ago
Seems republicans do that sort of thing on a regular basis.  

That’s just your bias running away with you.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.2  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @5    3 months ago

As an old fighter I'm here to say that the forehead bleeds into the eyes. Hard to fight blind.

Best to destroy the enemy's eyes and throat as soon as possible.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6  Nerm_L    3 months ago

Yup, Donald Trump is now the oldest candidate.  And J.D. Vance is the youngest candidate.

But Donald Trump cannot become the oldest President even if he wins reelection.  That's Joe Biden's footnote in the history books and no one can take that away from him.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Nerm_L @6    3 months ago
But Donald Trump cannot become the oldest President even if he wins reelection.

thats wrong

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @6    3 months ago
But Donald Trump cannot become the oldest President even if he wins reelection. 

Wrong

If Trump is elected he would be the oldest ever to be elected PotUS, beating Biden's record by 5 months.

Trump was born June 14, 1946 which would make him 78 on Nov 5, 2024

Biden was born Nov 20, 1942 which made him 77 on Nov 3, 2020

Which means that at the end of that term he would be the oldest PotUS in US history.

I am rooting for Biden to keep the record.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.2.1  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @6.2    3 months ago
Wrong

If Trump is elected he would be the oldest ever to be elected PotUS, beating Biden's record by 5 months.

Trump was born June 14, 1946 which would make him 78 on Nov 5, 2024

Biden was born Nov 20, 1942 which made him 77 on Nov 3, 2020

Which means that at the end of that term he would be the oldest PotUS in US history.

I am rooting for Biden to keep the record.

Biden will be age 82 years and 2 months if he stays in office till the next inauguration.  Biden will be the oldest sitting President on record.

Trump would be age 82 years and 7 months at the end of a second term.  But Democrats are planning to throw Trump in prison long before he could finish his 2nd term.  There will, at the least, be a midterm impeachment.  Adam Schiff will be in the Senate so a conviction shouldn't be a problem.  Are Democrats really going to break another promise?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.2  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @6.2.1    3 months ago

Do you realize that you are simply stating what I have already stated?

Do you also realize that your prior claim ("But Donald Trump cannot become the oldest President even if he wins reelection. ") is incorrect?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.2.3  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.2    3 months ago
Do you realize that you are simply stating what I have already stated? Do you also realize that your prior claim ("But Donald Trump cannot become the oldest President even if he wins reelection. ") is incorrect?

I'm so butt hurt.  Donald Trump scores another achievement that Joe Biden cannot match.  You've said so yourself.  I'm wrong.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.4  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @6.2.3    3 months ago

The reality is that you are begging people to not take your comments seriously.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2.5  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.4    3 months ago
not take your comments seriously

... ancient history, as far as I'm concerned.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.2.6  cjcold  replied to  Nerm_L @6.2.3    3 months ago

[removed][]

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
7  Colour Me Free    3 months ago
On the one hand, we have a sitting president who understood his limitations and, in an act of patriotism, selflessness, and party unity, decided to step away from power.

This seems to be a popular spin regarding President Biden stepping aside.. Why pretend like this is some magnanimous gesture .. the president's party and the media were turning on him acting as if his debate performance was some sort of surprise 'who knew' moment .. what choice did he honestly have? Defending himself was coming across as an angry old guy yelling 'get off my lawn' .. the more people that came forward in support of him stepping down the more humiliated on the world stage he was. 

If not for contracting COVID would he have stepped aside? 

I wish President Biden nothing but the best - perhaps if the people around him had been more honest with him, he might not have decided to run for reelection. Guess we will never know.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1  TᵢG  replied to  Colour Me Free @7    3 months ago

Clearly the last thing Biden wanted to do was step aside.   But the mounting pressure finally convinced him that he was not going to win the election.   

He could have stayed in the race and split the D party and basically cause a bunch of pointless chaos or he could step aside,  endorse Harris, and give the party a fighting chance.

I think it is reasonable to give the man credit for stepping aside.   He should have never run for a second term and that is his own fault.   But sucking it up and stepping aside rather than fight against the odds goes against his grain and I will give him credit for finally doing so.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.1  CB  replied to  TᵢG @7.1    3 months ago

Besides, it became 'painfully' obvious that age/ageism was being used to destroy Biden's candidacy in the media. . . . The man looking forward would be under a 24/7 'spotlight' of:

1. What did he just say?

2. Look at how he walks!

3. Look at those 'age spots' popping up all over him!

4. Look he's asleep!

5. "Great Grandpa!"

6.  He's fallen (and can't get up)!

7.  He's back at Walter Reed for what (next/now)?

8.  He can't keep up with his cabinet!

And so forth and so on.

Who needs it? Just go on let the mantle of president pass to the next generation and go enjoy his 'flowers' while he yet lives! :)

GregTx
Professor Guide
7.1.2  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @7.1    3 months ago

What reason has he given for stepping aside?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @7.1.2    3 months ago
It has been the greatest honor of my life to serve as your President. And while it has been my intention to seek reelection, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling my duties as President for the remainder of my term.

GregTx
Professor Guide
7.1.4  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.3    3 months ago

Why is it in the best interest of his party and the country that he stand down? That's going to be the question that keeps getting asked. A majority of Americans already know why but he's going to have to answer that question. And so is she....

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.5  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @7.1.4    3 months ago

Because it was unlikely that he would recover from his debate performance coupled with the fact that when a candidate's own party start publicly calling for him to step aside, that is poison to a campaign ... especially in a close election.   All the GOP had to do was produce campaign ads with Ds calling for Biden to step down.   Poison.

The best thing Biden could do for his party and the nation is to enable a situation where the D party wins the presidential election.

GregTx
Professor Guide
7.1.6  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.5    3 months ago
Because it was unlikely that he would recover from his debate performance coupled with the fact that when a candidate's own party start publicly calling for him to step aside, that is poison to a campaign ... especially in a close election. All the GOP had to do was produce campaign ads with Ds calling for Biden to step down. Poison.

That's a few of the symptoms, not the prognosis that a majority of Americans made...

The best thing Biden could do for his party and the nation is to enable a situation where the D party wins the presidential election.

After re-reading the letter, it's interesting that he put party before country, don't you think?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @7.1.6    3 months ago
That's a few of the symptoms, not the prognosis that a majority of Americans made...

You are now speaking for the majority of Americans?

After re-reading the letter, it's interesting that he put party before country, don't you think?

I think you are reading too much into the letter.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.8  CB  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.5    3 months ago

As political strategist James Carville rightly stated (it turns out): 'Give the people somebody they want as a candidate." In this case, past the baton.

GregTx
Professor Guide
7.1.9  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.7    3 months ago
You are now speaking for the majority of Americans?

Do you discount all the polls that showed a majority of Americans and Democrats even, thought Biden was too old to run again?

I think you are reading too much into the letter.

Maybe maybe not, perhaps the president should address his reason for withdrawal. I would think at least some of his voters would like to know as well.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.10  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @7.1.9    3 months ago
Do you discount all the polls that showed a majority of Americans and Democrats even, thought Biden was too old to run again?

No, why would you ask such a question?   Did you fundamentally misinterpret what I wrote?   Clearly Biden's age has been a major factor ... even in the 2020 election.   It has been the dominant criticism of him all along.

Biden's age is the key contributing factor to his poor debate performance and his subsequent inability to recover from it thus triggering calls for him to step aside.   Given Trump is a mere 3½ years younger than Biden, Biden's age would not be nearly as much of a factor if not for the manifestation of it:

TiG @7.1.5 ☞ Because it was unlikely that he would recover from his debate performance coupled with the fact that when a candidate's own party start publicly calling for him to step aside, that is poison to a campaign ... especially in a close election.   All the GOP had to do was produce campaign ads with Ds calling for Biden to step down.   Poison.

GregTx
Professor Guide
7.1.11  GregTx  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.10    3 months ago

Then why would you ask me if I'm speaking for a majority of Americans?

Biden's age would not be nearly as much of a factor if not for the manifestation of it:

No doubt that is the reason...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.12  TᵢG  replied to  GregTx @7.1.11    3 months ago

You used vague language instead of stating that the majority of Americans thought he was too old.  

Then you come back with a specific statement and pretend I objected to that.

No doubt that is the reason...

No doubt what is the reason for what?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7.1.13  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.10    3 months ago

why would you ask such a question?

They are upset that the only logical plank they had (Biden is old) is now gone.  Now they have to grasp at straws with little time, so they’ll resort to the sexist and racist attacks against their new foe that they are so well known for.  Don’t be surprised when they lose and then claim that Biden dropping out was an illegal means of throwing the election and that Trump is the rightful winner.  There is no bottom to the Republican Party anymore.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.14  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7.1.13    3 months ago

... back to the basics.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.15  TᵢG  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7.1.13    3 months ago
They are upset that the only logical plank they had (Biden is old) is now gone.

That is exactly the concern.   Trump's viability was a function of his opponent.    Now instead of running against a diminished old man he becomes the diminished old man (78) who would be the oldest person ever in our history to be elected PotUS (if elected) and is running against a 59 year old former prosecutor, DA, AG, Senator and VP.

Now they have to grasp at straws with little time, so they’ll resort to the sexist and racist attacks against their new foe that they are so well known for.

We are already seeing it right here.    And the 'word salad' attack seems to be their start.   Imagine that.   They are supporting "Gettysburg, Wow",  "the great late Hannibal Lector", "sharks vs electrocution", Bible hawking, Sneaker hawking, ... Trump yet attacking Harris on focus and delivery.    This will be a substantial losing proposition for Trump supporters.

Don’t be surprised when they lose and then claim that Biden dropping out was an illegal means of throwing the election and that Trump is the rightful winner.

I think most of us fully expect that.

There is no bottom to the Republican Party anymore.

The R party is the GOP in name only.   Trump has successfully hijacked the GOP.   I do not recognize the party anymore.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.15    3 months ago

Maybe if he loses this election MAGA will finally fall apart and the Republican Party can find its way again

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.17  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.16    3 months ago

The only way the GOP will recover is if Trump loses.   But they are so screwed up at this point, they will not likely get back to normalcy until they have a decent candidate who wins the presidency.  

I for one do not trust the GOP to be even semi-rational anymore.   This truly sucks because with a two party system we need the opposition to keep the party in power in check.   I do not want to see the Ds steam roll their agenda but the MAGA-Trump agenda is far worse.

evilone
Professor Guide
7.1.18  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.16    3 months ago
Maybe if he loses this election MAGA will finally fall apart and the Republican Party can find its way again

Populism will have to lose in Nov and the next 2 before a real course correct is possible. That includes Congressional races. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.19  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @7.1.18    3 months ago

I'll be dead by then

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.20  devangelical  replied to  evilone @7.1.18    3 months ago

agreed. it's going to take several election "republican autopsies" for a party stuck 60 years in the past...

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.21  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.19    3 months ago
I'll be dead

that just makes you barely overqualified to be the GOP candidate now ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.22  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.19    3 months ago

That is the saddest part. Unless you are less than 60 today you might not live long enough to see "trumpism" totally erased. 

The "heir" JD Vance is only 39.  And there other stains on humanity like that out there. As Devangelical said, this catastrophe has been building for decades. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.23  Krishna  replied to  CB @7.1.1    3 months ago
Just go on let the mantle of president pass to the next generation and go enjoy his 'flowers' while he yet lives!

Well you know the olde sayin':

A penny saved gathers no moss!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.24  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.22    3 months ago

I'm 62 and probably not in the best of health. I figure I have maybe 10 more years. I will never see the return of the GOP of my mother's day (dad was a democrat)

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.25  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.22    3 months ago

This is the REASON for why democrats should do all they can to help proper conservatives get their party back. There should be no room in this for allowing people to be making death threats (calls) to politicians tell them to conform to Trumpism or something bad will happen to them! No tolerance for such bull at all!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.1.26  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  GregTx @7.1.6    3 months ago

you just saw that ?

MrFrost
Professor Guide
7.1.27  MrFrost  replied to  GregTx @7.1.2    3 months ago

What reason has he given for stepping aside?

Does he need a reason? 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.1.28  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  MrFrost @7.1.27    3 months ago
Does he need a reason? 

nope , he could have simply said it was his decision to not continue  to run for office  and left it at that , but can you imagine the shit show that would have caused with speculation .

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.1.29  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.27    3 months ago
Does he need a reason? 

Can he reason well, consistently?

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.30  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.3    3 months ago

Sad that he listed party before country, but him being a democrat, i’m not surprised.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.31  TᵢG  replied to  bugsy @7.1.30    3 months ago

Ridiculous nitpicking.   

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.32  bugsy  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.31    3 months ago

Only to the belief of liberals. 

True patriotic Americans would have put country first

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.33  devangelical  replied to  bugsy @7.1.32    3 months ago
True patriotic Americans would have put country first

hilarious...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.2  cjcold  replied to  Colour Me Free @7    3 months ago

I have been dealing with long covid for the last few years without testing positive recently.

It's a very insidious condition that can destroy one's life. Brain fog, ongoing respiratory problems and general lethargy is ruining my will to exist. And I'm only 69.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.2.1  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @7.2    3 months ago

I'm pretty sure I had it back at the end of 2/20. I thought it was a severe allergies or a cold/flu. based upon the symptoms, my dr. had scheduled me for a test 15 months later, but I caught it again the week before. it took the rest of the family down for a week, but I only felt iffy for 2 days. we were all current on inoculations. I tested positive twice last year, but no illness.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.2  CB  replied to  cjcold @7.2    3 months ago

Friend cjcold, I wish you all the best. . . do stay with this world. I am horrified that something could sap your will to live in this world. I am sending you every goodwill I can muster and push out through this comment into you! May you find the doctors you need to help with your respiratory issues. . . may you find the 'perfect' combinations of foods and herbs which will clear up the mind. . . and above all, may TIME be your friend as the world looks for solutions to long Covid!  :) :) :)

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.3  CB  replied to  cjcold @7.2    3 months ago

COVID can replicate in your gut: Doctor | Cuomo (msn.com)

cjcold, have you seen this video? Check it out and see it through to the end. It may have useful information for your issues.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.2.4  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @7.2    3 months ago

hang in there, it's about to get really hilarious...

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.2.5  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @7.2.4    3 months ago

case in point - trump's appearance at NABJ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.2.6  JohnRussell  replied to  devangelical @7.2.4    3 months ago
it's about to get really hilarious...

there's always something

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.2.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @7.2.6    3 months ago

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.2.8  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @7.2.6    3 months ago

they're doubled-down, all in, and way too far down the maga rabbit hole to escape...

shona1
Professor Quiet
8  shona1    3 months ago

Morning...so if Trump gets elected President again and serves the next four years...is that it for him??

My understanding your President can only be in power for 8 years?

But does his previous presidency count or can he stay this time for 8 years if he is elected?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1  TᵢG  replied to  shona1 @8    3 months ago
Morning...so if Trump gets elected President again and serves the next four years...is that it for him??

Yes.   An individual can be elected to the presidency at most two times.  

MrFrost
Professor Guide
8.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  TᵢG @8.1    3 months ago

Yes.   An individual can be elected to the presidency at most two times.  

I am sure you know, but people can run for one 10 year term....though I know of no one that has. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  MrFrost @8.1.1    3 months ago

Yes, I described that last week.   They can finish at most 2 years of the prior president's term and then can be elected twice.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  MrFrost @8.1.1    3 months ago
I am sure you know, but people can run for one 10 year term...

Huh?

Thomas
Masters Guide
8.1.4  Thomas  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.1.3    3 months ago

See our good friend CB's post 8.2

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  MrFrost @8.1.1    3 months ago

actually , NO , the twenty second has some limitations that are plain , like if they serve more than 2 years of another's term all it has to be is 2 years and one day and the limitation applies . , they can only run once  so that could be a limit of just over 6 years if its before the 2 year mark , after 2 years they can run for 2 more terms , equalling a total of 10 years possibly if they win both elections .

there is no single 10 year term . it is limited to 2 four-year terms and possibly up to 2 years of anothers term if the person is the vice president .

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thomas @8.1.4    3 months ago

Exactly 

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.7  Krishna  replied to  MrFrost @8.1.1    3 months ago
I am sure you know, but people can run for one 10 year term....though I know of no one that has.

I once knew a guy who ran for a half of one 15 year term!

Thomas
Masters Guide
8.1.8  Thomas  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8.1.5    3 months ago
 there is no single 10 year term . it is limited to 2 four-year terms and possibly up to 2 years of anothers term if the person is the vice president .

I think that the total time is what he meant by term. 

Twenty-Second Amendment

Twenty-Second Amendment Explained

Section 1

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2

This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.

MrFrost
Professor Guide
8.1.9  MrFrost  replied to  TᵢG @8.1.2    3 months ago

Yes, I described that last week.   They can finish at most 2 years of the prior president's term and then can be elected twice.

Sorry! 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.1.10  TᵢG  replied to  MrFrost @8.1.9    3 months ago

Thanks, but an apology is hardly necessary.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
8.1.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thomas @8.1.4    3 months ago

I’m banned from contact with him.

CB
Professor Principal
8.2  CB  replied to  shona1 @8    3 months ago
The  Twenty-second Amendment  ( Amendment XXII ) to the  United States Constitution  limits the number of times a person can be elected to the office of  President of the United States  to two terms, and sets additional eligibility conditions for presidents who succeed to the unexpired terms of their predecessors. [1]  Congress approved the Twenty-second Amendment on March 21, 1947, and submitted it to the  state legislatures  for  ratification . That process was completed on February 27, 1951, when the requisite 36 of the 48 states had ratified the amendment (neither  Alaska  nor  Hawaii  had yet been  admitted as states ), and its provisions  came into force  on that date.

The amendment prohibits anyone who has been elected president twice from being elected again.

Under the amendment, someone who fills an unexpired presidential term lasting more than two years is also prohibited from being elected president more than once .

Scholars debate whether the amendment prohibits affected individuals from succeeding to the presidency under any circumstances or whether it applies only to presidential elections. Until the amendment's ratification, the president had not been subject to  term limits , but both  George Washington  and  Thomas Jefferson  (the first and third presidents) decided not to run for a third term, establishing a two-term tradition. In the  1940  and  1944  presidential elections,  Franklin D. Roosevelt  became the only president to run for (and win) third and fourth terms, giving rise to concerns about a president serving unlimited terms. [2]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.3  cjcold  replied to  shona1 @8    3 months ago

[removed]

[] Don't believe in second amendment solutions myself, but it seems others do.

Hate breeds hate. Right wingers are always quick to go to the trigger.

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.3.1  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @8.3    3 months ago

they're already threatening civil war and usually they wait until late september or early october...

Thomas
Masters Guide
9  Thomas    3 months ago

Although I think it well and good that Biden has stepped aside and Harris is stepping up her game, there is still an election to win.

Several things she must do well to do this:

• First and foremost she must convince the bulk of the population that she is up to the job and will do it well;
  • Clearly win the debate;
  • Point out when and how Trump is Lying;
  • Differentiate between his vision of hate (He calls it love, but you have to suck his dick to get it, that ain't love) and project a vision of a better America.
  • Be articulate enough to control the direction of the conversation around and about her campaign.

Right now she must start to and continue to do all of these in order to win. Once we pass the re-energization of the Democrats she must carry the voters with her right through the election and then they will carry her over the finish line. I hope I am wrong and the country brushes off the malaise of Trump and wakes to a new day... What was Regan's line, It's morning again in America.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Thomas @9    3 months ago

I completely agree.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.2  Krishna  replied to  Thomas @9    3 months ago
What was Regan's line, It's morning again in America.

Shining city on a hill, etc, etc.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @9.2    3 months ago
What was Regan's line, It's morning again in America.
Shining city on a hill, etc, etc.

Actually, if memory serves,  it seems good 'ole John Winthrop, way back in 1630 (or thereabouts) who may have said it first.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.3  Krishna  replied to  Thomas @9    3 months ago
country brushes off the malaise of Trump

Malaise?

Thomas
Masters Guide
9.3.1  Thomas  replied to  Krishna @9.3    3 months ago

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.4  Krishna  replied to  Thomas @9    3 months ago
Several things she must do well to do this:

You should contact her and let her know this-- I'm sure she is totally unaware of any of this and would be grateful for your expertise!

Thomas
Masters Guide
9.4.1  Thomas  replied to  Krishna @9.4    3 months ago

I am sure that she has much more proficient and adept people advising her.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
9.5  cjcold  replied to  Thomas @9    3 months ago

Kamala has been doing all of that for her whole life. She's squeaky clean.

Might just be the most honest president this country has ever had.

P.S. I like her laugh. She has a great sense of humor.

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.5.1  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @9.5    3 months ago

the legacy of her tie breaking votes in the senate is indisputable...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.5.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @9.5.1    3 months ago
the legacy of her tie breaking votes in the senate is indisputable...

Isn’t that more of the result of an evenly divided Senate than who the BP is? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.5.3  devangelical  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.5.2    3 months ago

I don't know, what's a BP?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.5.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @9.5.3    3 months ago

blood pressure? Of course, I don't know the context of the comment

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
9.5.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @9.5.3    3 months ago

A typo for VP

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.5.6  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.5.4    3 months ago

my bad, I foolishly thought an irrelevant question as a reply would be funny.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.5.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @9.5.6    3 months ago

I can't read so I do not have a clue as to what is going on here.

Just ignore me. I'll show myself out

devangelical
Professor Principal
9.5.8  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.5.7    3 months ago

you didn't miss anything important.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
10  Gsquared    3 months ago
Suddenly Trump Looks Older And More Deranged

Suddenly?  Not to anyone who has been paying attention.

CB
Professor Principal
10.1  CB  replied to  Gsquared @10    3 months ago

Right! Don't let Donald off the hook. Now let's take some close scrutiny of how his age-spots are progressing, his wrinkles and lines are folding, and his abrupt digressions when he is speaking. . . they are indicative of a mature elderly 78 year old who IF ELECTED will turn 81 years old!  I say cut Donald no slack! 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11  JohnRussell    3 months ago
Tim Miller
@Timodc
Replying to
Trump "when I got shot I don't know what happened they said I got nice... But I'm not gonna be nice."
Great moment for the commentators that fell for the unity theatre.
=============================================================
that was a short while ago in North Carolina

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
12  Drinker of the Wry    3 months ago

No more Mister Nice Guy
No more Mister Clean
No more Mister Nice Guy
They say he's sick, he's obscene

Gsquared
Professor Principal
12.1  Gsquared  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12    3 months ago

My friend.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Gsquared @12.1    3 months ago

a high school hero of mine.

my phone ringtone.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.1.2  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @12.1.1    3 months ago

switch out yuppie to maga on his tee-shirt for a lively conversation starter at social events ...

Gsquared
Professor Principal
12.1.3  Gsquared  replied to  devangelical @12.1.1    3 months ago

I knew him.  I was in a video with him in 1978 that was shown during his concerts.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Gsquared @12.1.3    3 months ago

I saw him in '72 or '73. besides the show theatrics, AC's on stage consumption of budweiser was the most popular topic during our post concert critique session.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
12.1.5  Gsquared  replied to  devangelical @12.1.4    3 months ago

The video I was in was for the tour for his "From the Inside" album that he co-wrote with Elton John's lyricist, Bernie Taupin, about AC's stay in an asylum because of alcoholism.  I was working with his managers and I was a PA on the shoot, but the producer had me get in costume as one of the other hospital inmates at one point.  I was the Archbishop of Canterbury eating a bag of potato chips while AC in a straight jacket was being chased around a garden by a group of hospital orderlies, who were his regular dance troupe, including his wife, Sheryl, who was a nice as could be.   She and AC used to come into the office pretty often.

Unfortunately, the video is lost.  I checked all over YouTube, but came across information that the video cannot be found.  I did find one picture on the internet of me in the costume with AC from that day.  One of the roadies was in a chicken outfit and the producer dressed a Napoleon.  Fun.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Gsquared @12.1.5    3 months ago

it's in a vault somewhere, probably in AC's basement...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
12.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Gsquared @12.1    3 months ago

Interesting guy,  saw his concert once, Killer Tour, Blue Oyster Cult opened.  Think my ticket was around $5.00

Gsquared
Professor Principal
12.1.8  Gsquared  replied to  devangelical @12.1.6    3 months ago

I wish it was, but it's not.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
12.1.9  Gsquared  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12.1.7    3 months ago

He was.  Smart and funny, too.

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
12.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Gsquared @12.1.9    3 months ago

And he came thru it all, still alive and well.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
12.1.11  Gsquared  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @12.1.10    3 months ago

Yes, he is from what I've read recently, and still managing to stay in the media. 

His friends call him Vinnie.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
13  TᵢG    3 months ago

Because he is old (the oldest nominee in US history) and is deranged.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
13.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  TᵢG @13    3 months ago

But he does have magical healing powers.  His ears prove it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @13.1    3 months ago

He's a regular Wolverine.

devangelical
Professor Principal
13.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @13.1    3 months ago

maybe hulk hogan gave him a fake blood bag to break open...

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
13.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @13.1.2    3 months ago

Maybe, and the two shot and one killed helped add to the authenticity.