╌>

‘Word salad’: Joe blasts Trump’s ‘sixth grade’ response to childcare legislation question

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  2 weeks ago  •  45 comments

By:   Morning Joe

‘Word salad’: Joe blasts Trump’s ‘sixth grade’ response to childcare legislation question
We will be taking in trillions of dollars and as much as childcare is talked about as being expensive it is not relative speaking expensive compared to the kind of number we will be taking in ...

This is a fine example of the normal bullshit that Trump delivers in response to serious questions.   

He basically said that he will pay for an unspecified childcare using massive revenues from his unspecified tariff initiative, unspecified saving from waste, and unspecified growth.

It is pathetic that a knowledgeable, intelligent audience allows this clown to deliver such absurd bullshit and claps instead of booing the bullshit artist.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    2 weeks ago

What is it about Trump that causes people to tolerate such over-the-top meandering bullshit?    This is not normal political hyperbole, this is pure bullshit in response to a serious question and in the presence of an intelligent crowd.   And he basically did this same routine for every question asked of him.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 weeks ago

We have a very lazy and apathetic mainstream media, and it could be this country's downfall. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 weeks ago

I'm glad you posted this. I was searching for a clip of it earlier. how can anyone sane defend his nonsense?

the presidential debate has immense possibilities of becoming an electoral catastrophe, if the coward actually shows up...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  devangelical @1.2    2 weeks ago

Normally I would agree.   Take any prior presidential candidate and instead of their response insert the utter bullshit that Trump would give for the same question.   That candidate would lose big.

But this is Trump.   Somehow people accept this.   It is bizarre.

Imagine Reagan giving a Trump answer.   He would have been laughed out of town and branded an ignorant third-rate actor who is going senile.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

did you see the comparison to a bart simpson book report on a book he hadn't read? hilarious ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

Trump's strategy is to say so many stupid things that people in the media dont know how to process them, and they end up doing and saying nothing. 

I watch you tube "shows" occasionally, at least part of them, and it is stunningly obvious that many many many Trump supporters are willfully ignorant. They dont want to know or accept the truth.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.3    2 weeks ago

It used to be the case that a nominee for PotUS actually had knowledge and could deliver a cogent answer to a question.   The issue was whether or not one liked the answer in terms of policy.   And when a politician did not want to answer a question, they would merely deflect.

Trump, in contrast, projects pure dishonesty and ignorance.   Why is this tolerated with Trump and not with every other nominee in recent history?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.5  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.4    2 weeks ago

In the beginning Trump became popular with a lot of folks because he presented as sympathetic to white grievance and he became their champion. 

Over the years it all has morphed into something more, a diseased cult of personality. 

There is a fool called "Jessie On Fire" on You Tube.  He is a Trump apologist to a disturbing degree. He went on a "liberal" show called Destiny and they talked about Trump , mainly. I know people will not watch a long show, but you could really dip into this video at any point and see a few minutes of utter in denial idiocy. Jesse On Fire says that he doesnt know anything about Jan 6th and doesnt want to, but he "knows" Trump is being mistreated.  This is what we are up against. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.6  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.5    2 weeks ago

This guy has confirmation bias in the extreme.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.7  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.6    2 weeks ago

seems to be some pretty good money in moron manipulation...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.8  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @1.2.7    2 weeks ago

[deleted][]

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @1    2 weeks ago

MAGA are not serious so Voters are not taking MAGA seriously...

evilone
Professor Guide
1.3.1  evilone  replied to  JBB @1.3    2 weeks ago

Turns out a lot of MAGA are non-voters... so yeah.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.2  JBB  replied to  evilone @1.3.1    2 weeks ago

Felons cannot vote...

George
Junior Expert
1.3.3  George  replied to  JBB @1.3.2    2 weeks ago

That is not true, they absolutely can vote in Maine and Vermont, and beyond that the rules vary by state.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 weeks ago

The master of word salad, Trump.

word-saldad-bowl-illustrator-graphic.png

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  JBB  replied to  Kavika @2    2 weeks ago

That is a weird salad...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @2.1    2 weeks ago

That's really getting under his skin, that he's weird - he says he and vance may be other things, without saying what those 'things' were, but he and vance, aren't weird..  Plus that he rambles, he doesn't ramble - he 'weaves'.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Krishna  replied to  JBB @2.1    2 weeks ago

That is a weird salad...

Of course it is. (Weird salads are especially prepared for "Weird Salad Eaters"!)

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

Ok, semantically, it was a mess, but I get what he’s saying, and the commentators did, too.

His answer is that childcare legislation is irrelevant because he believes his tariff policies will raise so much money that we’ll be able to pay for anything and everything people might want. The problem is I don’t think there are many serious economists who agree with that.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
3.1  Gsquared  replied to  Tacos! @3    2 weeks ago

The real problem is that his comments were made at the Economic Club of New York and no one challenged his stupidity.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @3    2 weeks ago

Yeah I understood what he wrote and summarized it in my editorial for this seed.    The key is that he magically will generate a ton of revenue to pay for everything.  

The problem is that serious organizations like the Economic Club of New York grant this con-man an audience and do not even politely challenge the insult to their intelligence in each of his rambling answers.   This behavior happens routinely with Trump.   We apparently have been so numbed by his outrageous answers and behavior that it now is no longer considered outrageous.   I predict future Ph.D. Sociology theses will study this bizarre phenomenon.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @3.2    2 weeks ago
and do not even politely challenge the insult to their intelligence in each of his rambling answers

Well, I think that’s a matter of decorum. These people - whatever their economic or political orientation - recognize that this was not a debate forum, but rather that they were hosting an important figure at a formal event. No one wants to make a scene in that context.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.2  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.1    2 weeks ago

A polite way of challenging Trump would be to ask a follow up question.   They did nothing ... they simply accepted his answer.   They even clapped.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.2    2 weeks ago
A polite way of challenging Trump would be to ask a follow up question. 

I’m guessing everyone could see that would be a waste of time. He had a chance to offer a substantive response to a specific question, but it was clear he had nothing useful to say on the topic. In fact, it was evident to me that he hasn’t spent even 10 seconds so much as thinking about childcare. Add to that, his 19th century-style worship of the power of tariff. 

I wonder how many questions he took. It’s just amazing to me that educated people would give him the time of day. I can’t think of anything more boring or pointless than trying to have a thoughtful conversation with that guy.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.4  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.3    2 weeks ago
It’s just amazing to me that educated people would give him the time of day.

Indeed.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @3    2 weeks ago

The problem is I don’t think there are many serious economists who agree with that.

Most economists know that tariffs just cause raising of prices for working and middle classes.  Trump still thinks that China is paying for the tariffs and not the American companies that buy the stuff from China.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @3    2 weeks ago
His answer is that childcare legislation is irrelevant because he believes his tariff policies will raise so much money that we’ll be able to pay for anything and everything people might want.

That is certainly one possibility, but I dont think it is the actual answer to this.  He doesnt want to "answer" the question about child care for the reason we see spoke here on NT by some conservatives -  they dont want their tax money going for child care to anyone.  Trump knows his base doesnt want child care as any kind of government program, but if he says he is against child care it will turn off some moderates. So he just wants to steer clear of the issue and made a ridiculous response. 

But even that doesn't explain his horrible performances as a public speaker. He is the worst we have ever seen in presidential politics. He makes George W Bush look eloquent. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.4.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @3.4    2 weeks ago
He makes George W Bush look eloquent.

meh, George spread them out over months, not hours.

Bidness is good...

“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”

“Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?”

“Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYNs aren’t able to practice their love with women all across the country.”

“You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.

“See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.”

“There’s an old saying in Tennessee—I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, fool me once, shame on—shame on you. Fool me—you can’t get fooled again.”

The top 25 Bushisms of all time. (slate.com)

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.4.2  cjcold  replied to  Split Personality @3.4.1    2 weeks ago

He was likely trying to channel Roger Daltry.

Thomas
Masters Guide
3.4.3  Thomas  replied to  cjcold @3.4.2    2 weeks ago

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.4.4  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Thomas @3.4.3    2 weeks ago

This is one of my favorite oldies for letting loose on the drum kit.    It is as though this song was designed to allow Moon to pretty much do whatever he wanted on the drums.

Thomas
Masters Guide
3.4.5  Thomas  replied to  TᵢG @3.4.4    2 weeks ago

In the 2000 election it was played by the Bush campaign... almost. The line "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss" was left out. 

But I do agree it is pretty much Moon's chance to shine.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.5  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @3    2 weeks ago
because he believes his tariff policies will raise so much money that we’ll be able to pay for anything

There are several fallacies to what he's saying.

A Tariff is an additional charge that is added to something. So every time an American buy something that has a tariff, they are paying more than they did before it had a tariff added.. Over time that adds up...and people have less money.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.5.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.5    2 weeks ago
There are several fallacies to what he's saying. A Tariff is an additional charge that is added to something. So every time an American buy something that has a tariff, they are paying more than they did before it had a tariff added.. Over time that adds up...and people have less money.

Another thing: I mentioned tariffs added to something-- which can be known by the buyer. But in addition, the odds are there will also be "hidden tariffs". If you buy something with several parts, there may be tariffs on the components that you are unaware of. And of course thast's in addition to the tariff on the entire product.

(Tariffs are inflationary)

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    2 weeks ago

If what Trump thinks were true, he would have done it the last time he was in office and easily been reelected.  It’s just more egregious lies in a Hail Mary to stay out of prison.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4    2 weeks ago

maga morons don't care what he says...

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.1  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @4.1    2 weeks ago

... or what he does apparently.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    2 weeks ago

progresspond.com   /2024/09/06/arent-we-sick-of-the-media-presssplaining-trumps-nonsense/

Aren't We Sick of the Media Presssplaining Trump's Nonsense? 

Martin Longman 6-7 minutes   9/6/2024

Image Credits:   Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg .

In my circles, progressives are getting mighty tired of watching the media presssplain Donald Trump’s gibberish to make it seem less insane. The man is an unhinged dunderhead, and sugarcoating it is a disservice to the American electorate. It’s also unfair because the press didn’t sugarcoat President Joe Biden’s diminished capacity. So, I’m of two minds about Philip Bump’s   analysis   of Trump’s now viral rambling answer at the Economic Club of New York about how he’d improve access to child care.

First, let’s look at what Trump actually said in its entirety:

Question : “If you win in November, can you commit to prioritizing legislation to make child care affordable and if so, what specific piece of legislation will you advance?”

Answer : “Well, I would do that, and we’re sitting down — you know, I was, uh, somebody, we had Sen. Marco Rubio [(R-Fla.)] and my daughter, Ivanka, was so, uh, impactful on that issue. It’s a very important issue.”

“But I think when you talk about the kind of numbers that I’m talking about, that — because child care is child care. It’s, couldn’t — you know, it’s something, you have to have it. In this country, you have to have it.”

“But when you talk about those numbers compared to the kind of numbers that I’m talking about by taxing foreign nations at levels that they’re not used to but they’ll get used to it very quickly. And it’s not going to stop them from doing business with us, but they’ll have a very substantial tax when they send product into our country.”

“Those numbers are so much bigger than any numbers that we’re talking about, including child care, that it’s gonna take care. We’re gonna have — I, I look forward to having no deficits within a fairly short period of time. Coupled with, uh, the reductions that I told you about on waste and fraud and all of the other things that are going on in our country — because I have to say with child care, I want to stay with childcare, but those numbers are small relative to the kind of economic numbers that I’m talking about, including growth.”

“But growth also headed up by what the plan is that I just, uh, that I just told you about. We’re gonna be taking in trillions of dollars, and as much as childcare is talked about as being expensive, it’s, relatively speaking, not very expensive compared to the kind of numbers we’ll be taking in.”

“We’re going to make this into an incredible country that can afford to take care of its people and then we’ll worry about the rest of the world. Let’s help other people. But we’re gonna take care of our country first. This is about America first. It’s about: Make America great again. We have to do it, because right now we’re a failing nation. So we’ll take care of it. Thank you. Very good question.”

What Bump does is put the answer is the fuller context of Trump’s full presentation, which included an emphasis on tariffs and having Elon Musk clean up fraud and waste in federal spending. It’s true that his answer is infintesimally less nonsensical when you know what immediately preceded it. But Bump doesn’t give Trump this limited assist in order to help him. What he wants to do is a psychological analysis of why Trump uttered each of these stupid phrases. He’s stalling. He’s remembering one time he talked about child care with Sen. Marco Rubio and another when Ivanka mentioned it. He’s grasping for an applause line. He’s become aware he’s not answering the question. He’ll fix it with one simple idea, which he’s already mentioned. He’s back on track with his MAGA message. And so on.

It’s a clever piece by Bump, who I admire as one of the better journalists in the game today. But it’s a lot of words on Bump’s part to say what boils down to “Trump doesn’t know anything about child care or tariffs or the deficit and he’s completely full of shit.”

And the thing is, Trump was president for four years and it’s almost impossible to do a job for four years and learn absolutely nothing substantive, but this man pulled it off. If anything, his mental decline means he’s less able to grasp and discuss policy that he was before he occupied the White House. The result is that he’s more dependent than ever on the snow job to cover up his inadequacies and the stupidity of the policies he’s advancing.

But this isn’t a new thing. Back in 2015 or 2016, he got a big laugh at a rally when he suggested he’d get Mexico to pay for a border wall, and suddenly he started treating it as a real policy. Now he’s treating tariffs as a miracle policy to balance the budget and pay for everything even though that’s even less plausible than the border wall bullshit.

Tariffs make imported goods and materials more expensive for consumers and producers, and that’s called inflation. Tariffs invite impacted countries to retaliate, which diminishes exports of American products, limiting economic and job growth. And that reduces the amount of revenue the government raises in taxes. You won’t solve inflation or balance the budget with tariffs. What you might do is prop-up an American industry that is struggling against foreign competitors, and that’s not always a bad thing. But it is not a “specific piece of legislation” to “make child care affordable.”

And his audience at the Economic Club of New York certainly understood his tariff nonsense for what it is, which is pure foolishness.

So, that’s the broad story here. Trump is peddling economic fantasies and foolishness. As to the specific answer on child care, the story is that   he couldn’t answer the question   because he’s a doddering unhinged dunderhead.

Bump’s piece is clever and somewhat useful, but I’d prefer if we could just stick to what’s important which isn’t understanding the perverse meanderings of Trump’s addled mind but the overall ridiculousness of the idea that he’s mentally or morally fit to be president.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

Donald Trump has this fantasy that the other governments of the world are just going to happily pay down all of our bills. But we’re still waiting for Mexico to pay for the wall.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7  seeder  TᵢG    2 weeks ago

The lady who asked Trump the question on childcare has weighed in after the fact.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1  JBB  replied to  TᵢG @7    2 weeks ago

I want to know what is up with Trump going in and out of affecting that high pitched nasal Jerry Lewis "Hey Lady" impersonation...

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.2  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @7    2 weeks ago

I don't get being polite to morons, especially sociopaths. why do people do that?

Drinker of the Wry
Senior Expert
7.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @7.2    2 weeks ago

Sociopaths aren’t a subset of morons.

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.2.1    2 weeks ago

really? how come there's a candidate for POTUS that's a moronic sociopath...