╌>

So, We Have Lots of New Folks Here, Let's Get to Know Each Other

Category:  Other

By:  spikegary  •  7 years ago  •  418 comments

So, We Have Lots of New Folks Here, Let's Get to Know Each Other

We have lots of new folks showing up from Newsvine.  Some are here for a similar experience as Newsvine (it is different and run differently).  Those of us that have been here for a while should welcome these new folks.  Back in the Day, a friend of mine, on Newsvine, started a group called '10 things About You'.

This might be a good way to start to get to know each other.  I would ask that we keep this civil and as non-political as possible.  Please feel free to jump in......who knows, you might make some new friends.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Spikegary    7 years ago

10 Things about me.....hmmmm, not sure I remember what I wrote back in the day on Newsvine.......life has changed so much since then......but here goes:

1.  I was born and raised in New York and live here now.  Not that New York, the country New York.

2.  I'm retired Air Force and work for the Air Force as a Civilian.

3.  I love Powersports, Motorcycles, Boats, Snowmobiles, ATV, Cars, etc.

4.  I thoroughly enjoy History-I live a block off the Erie Canal, the history of this area is voluminous.

5.  Some believe my beliefs are one way or another, but I believe our government needs balance between right and left (okay all done politics).

6.  I love photography - though I don't believe I have the artistic talent that A. Mac. has I enjoy taking pictures and sharing those here.

7.  I love the Adirondack Mountains and would like to retire there eventually (Ran the retirement financial calculator and it says I can retire in 2057).

8.  I'm adopting an American Bully next week.  Her name is Rain.

9.  I'm a volunteer-I am an officer or a director and several Not-For-Profits and Charitable Organizations.  I was raised, and the Air Force reinforced, to give back to my community.

10.  I enjoy travelling, for business or for pleasure-Bucket list locations?  Ireland, Italy, All of Canada (I've been to several provinces).

I hope you enjoy this attempt to get to know each other, please jump in!

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Spikegary @1    7 years ago

Not sure I can come up with 10 things...

1.  Made in Montana!  6th generation Montanan (very proud of my State)

2.  I am a member of The Church of the Never Married - have 2 sons, the oldest is 26 and my (not so) lil man is 17.

3.  Was a Steel fabricator 'welder' for 15 years .. before a load of steel was dropped on me by a careless forklift driver...  when I am physically able I still do artwork - small custom handrails etc

[running out of things already]

4.  My best friend is a 4 year old Bull Mastiff - she is my Yo Yo dog

5.  Hobby's?  Hmm suppose my flower beds would be considered a hobby of sorts ... I make and hand paint concrete garden stepping stone (but I make money off of those - so is that hobby?)  Is music a hobby?  I am a bit of a head banger : )

6.  Before my accident I was an avid hikers - explored what Montana has to offer to the fullest .. my favorite place is Glacier National Park .. favorite spot Iceberg Lake .. second fav is the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

7.  I volunteer my time to young families .. I teach them how to shop, cook, plan meals .. make a monthly budget, balance a check book, fill out applications/create a resume.  (pretty much everything I learned at home growing up ... not everyone has had the kind of support and family backing I have - so I do what I can to help)

8.  Love TREES .. they are my favorite Soap Box topic - I consider myself to be a Conservative Conservationist - and am angered by the way 'our' trees and forests are being protected to death .. left victim to wild fires due to lack of management .. Put our trees and forest back to work, making them healthy again - creating jobs and saving the planet at the same time!   shutting up now : )

That is all I got!  Should love my country be on that list?

Peace!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Colour Me Free @1.1    7 years ago

Hi CMF (If I might be so bold),

Montana is a great state, though I've only been there a few times.  As a snowmobiler, involved at the organizational level all the way up to the international level, and we care about the environment (we spend a lot of our time out in it) and trees (one of God's very cool inventions).

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
1.1.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  Spikegary @1.1.1    7 years ago

Good morning ..CMF is just fine with me! 

The thing about snowmobiles is that they do not tear things up..  I know through the years, noise levels have been an issue for some places like Yellowstone etc etc .. which has always kinda cracked me up.  All summer long the wildlife has been tortured by 'tourist tires' - millions of visitors tramping around, traffic jams whenever an animal is spotted .. and some bleeding heart decides that Snowmobile noise level will disturb wildlife .. go figure : )

Thanks for opening the door for 'us' castaways!

Peace!

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
1.1.4  Uptownchick  replied to    7 years ago

Hi OSM!  Great Falls caught my eye...my mother and I traveled by Greyhound bus to visit her sister and family somewhere around '62-'63.  I was about 4-ish so I don't remember much but what I do remember thinking what a beautiful place it was.  That stuck with me...well that and my uncle chasing me around the house with hair clippers threatening to cut off my hair!chicken

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Spikegary @1    7 years ago

Thank you for giving us a great way to get to know each other! I'm a fairly private person online, but I'm willing to share the following:

1. Newsvine "refugee". Joined NewsTalkers on Oct. 1, 2017 and still learning how to navigate. So far, I like it here better than Newsvine.
  2. Retired: professional careers include business, music, and education fields.
  3. Married to the same woman for over 30 years. All of our children are college grads (with honors), independent, employed in the fields of their choices, and own their own homes.
  4. Avid reader. 
  5. Love old movies from the 1930s - 1950s.
  6. Studied piano for many years. Favorite classical music composers include Mozart, Schubert, Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms. Also a big fan of ragtime, big band, jazz, Elvis, The Beatles, Clapton, Motown. 
  7. Volunteer: schools, churches, homeless centers, AA/NA addiction centers.
  8. Political affiliation: None. I respect everyone's opinions and hope that everyone will respect mine.
  9. Strong supporter of the US Constitution, our military, veterans, police, and first responders.
  10. Loved to ski and mountain bike until my knees decided they were too old to agree with my brain and the rest of my body!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.2.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2    7 years ago

Hi Jasper, and welcome.  I hope you continue to enjoy Newstalkers!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.2    7 years ago
"Love old movies from the 1930s - 1950s."

I invite you to join the Classic Cinema group. Before I left NV I administered the Classic Cinema group there, but since Newstalkers started, I imported it to here. You may find many articles, mostly in the archives to which you will have access, that you might enjoy reading.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3  Krishna  replied to  Spikegary @1    7 years ago
5.  Some believe my beliefs are one way or another, but I believe our government needs balance between right and left (okay all done politics).

I've finally arrived at that position as well.. I wish more people felt that way! Happy

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
3  Uncle Bruce    7 years ago
  1. I was born in PA, but I was raised in the South.  I'm a GA Boy.
  2. My family has a long history of serving in the military.
  3. I am an indirect descendant of Sir Banastre Tarleton of the Revolutionary War.
  4. I have 3 children and 3 grandchildren
  5. I've been married to the same woman for 34 years
  6. I retired from the Navy, and now work for the Army.
  7. I hunt, fish, tinker with firearms, reload my own ammo, and build models.
  8. I was raised as a Christian, but claim no specific Christian denomination
  9. I've been around the world, submerged.
  10. I thought I was a leg man, turns out I'm a boob man.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Uncle Bruce @3    7 years ago

Always good to see you, Bruce, but I didn't recognize you without the mask.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    7 years ago

Big Number 1 . Family comes FIRST every time. New Grandson is a blast. Must be my age, or the fact I can spoil him and send him home. laughing dude

Big Number 2 . I am a huge Patriots, Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox fan thru and thru, even thru the shitty years. la de da

3. Love Fishing.

4. Love Collecting C&R Guns. (wife doesn't like my hobby)

5. Can't stand idiotic rhetoric in politics (see Number 10 and 11 below).

6. Still like hot rodding my vehicles.

7. love road racing with myself and my wife, through twisty roads in my convertible hot rod.

8. Still take care of my Dad. It's part of Number 1.

9. Love the Color Autumn, and the cool that comes with it.

10. Can't stand that "Common Sense" is not a prerequisite to LIFE anymore.

11. Don't like that "Individual thought" is almost a thing of the past.

12. My glass is Half Full.

13. Used to love Nascar, but this PC....everyone is the same shit....turned me off. Who the Hell wants to see someone win a "race?" because of a final pit stop.

14. I only do the "Blunt" thing.

15. Love running streams/brooks in a private backyard.

16. love porches with rocking chairs.

17. "Like/love" things more than I "Don't".

MY THEME SONG !

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  It Is ME @4    7 years ago

Nice list.  I like Hot Rodding, I could easily survive tv with only History Channel, Discovery Channel and Velocity channel.  I can do cars and bikes all the time.  I don't watch NASCAR, though I have to admit?  My guilty pleasure is 'Street Outlaws'.  Nothing even remotely PC about those guys.  Big Chief and Shawn have some podcasts out....and there is no bleep machine.....

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Spikegary @4.1    7 years ago
My guilty pleasure is 'Street Outlaws'

Daddy Dave was my Fav.. Loved that little truck of his. bow to you

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.1.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.1    7 years ago

I'm a fan of most of them....glad to see that Gold Mustang off the list though....Varney didn't belong there....I always root for the Underdog......Farmtruck......

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Spikegary @4.1.2    7 years ago
Farmtruck......

Their concept of using an old truck was fantastic. AZN is a bit weird in a child like kind of way for me. Haven't seen the show in awhile, but does AZN still have that VW Bug ?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.1.4  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.3    7 years ago

The Dung Beetle?  Yup and they've improved it quite a bit.....I was glad Chief decided to not run the Pro-Mod Firebird anymore and built another Goat.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Spikegary @4.1.4    7 years ago
The Dung Beetle?

That's the one. laughing dude

It is a fun show to watch at times, but not all the time. Might be my age, but it gets to be "Same Ol'" after awhile for me.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.1.6  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.5    7 years ago

Lots of the bleep machine too, but I've listened into Big Chief and Shawn (Murder Nova)'s podcasts and there is a reason for the bleep machine.  I get that some of it is boring, I tried to watch the New Orleans version, but Kye Kelly is nowhere near the showman that Big Chief is.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Spikegary @4.1.6    7 years ago
I get that some of it is boring, I tried to watch the New Orleans version, but Kye Kelly is nowhere near the showman that Big Chief is.

I still liked Dave the best. He was laid back and let his machine do the talking. he was No. 1 like forever it seemed. applause

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.1.8  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.7    7 years ago

I was surprised when he quit the truck (he didn't own it) and everyone said oh, Dave is done.  He's built 2 cars since and has been kicking some butt.  While the owner of the truck can't get much past blowing it up on the line.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @4    7 years ago
MY THEME SONG !

Excellent video!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @4.2    7 years ago

Life is so much better when you spend more time enjoying it, than bashing it.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.2  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.1    7 years ago
Life is so much better when you spend more time enjoying it, than bashing it.

For some reason a lot of people seem to logon to many Internet sites with their only reason being to get into arguments. (Well, to prostelyize their political POV-- and unfortunately for many that includes bashing people with different opinions).

About 1 1/2 years ago I discovered Meetup. Its a bulletin board service. Anyone can start a group on anything they want-- pets in general, or cats, dogs, horses, etc--, stock market, pop psychology, cooking, auto racing, photography, etc. All Meetup does is provide a place onlin  to list the group.

The groups are only listed online. Their actual meetinsg are offline. There is no fee to join Meetup-- just enter a username & password. . Most group meetings are free-- or charge a nominal fee per meeting (Often $2/mtg. A few others charge a bit more) Meetings schedule and format is decided by the group owner-- usually groups meet every week-- or once/month. Some on weekday evenings, others only on weekends.

(cont'd in next comment)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.3  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.2.2    7 years ago

(About Meetup-- cont'd from previous comment):

Mainly people join as a way of meeting new people or just to hang' out with people. Some people join because its a way to meet with people who have common interests-- to discuss your hobby or other passion with similarly minded folks.

Some groups even go out to an inexpensive restaurant (or quiet bar) after the meeting to continue the discussion and socialize.

The reason I mention it in almost all cases there's none of the politics that dominate online sites. And in almost all I've been to-- there's no nasty arguing-- no personal attacks! People are really friendly (just like normal people were before the Internet).

If anyone's interested-- do a google search for the word Meetup and then list your city or town. (If you live in a fairly rural area there might not be any-- in which case try the nearest large town). 

Some groups will be a disappointment-- but occasionally you'll find one that is fantastic (despite the group description, the only way to know what any group is like is to go to a meeting for several groups)

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    7 years ago

1.   I am retired Army and was in Desert Storm.

2.   I am the care taker for my disabled husband who is also retired Army.

3.   I was born and raised is So Calif although my mother swore I was raised by wolves.

4.   I rode rodeo for a number of years.

5.   I am an amateur writer and poet.  I also carve and decorate eggs.

6.   I have three cats.

7.   I have a real passion for landscaping and design hedge mazes for fun.

8.   I am a total klutz.

9  . I am a member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).

10.  I only watch one reality show....Ink Master.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    7 years ago

Great list....(as I snack on bacon here at my desk) and welcome, and thanks for your service!  I hope you find this place to your liking.

Bluestride
Freshman Silent
7  Bluestride    7 years ago
Hrrmm... 1. The only sport I really watch is college football and during the season my wife does not see much of me unless she is watching a game with me. She is a Georgia fan and I am an Oklahoma fan. Boomer Sooner!! 2. I am an avid reader and devour novels (mostly sci-fi and sword & sorcery) at a frightening rate. Thankfully I have a Kindle. 3. I am an amatuer endurance runner and locally I place in my age bracket. I mostly run 15ks or half marathons. 4. I am also a gamer (computers like real gamers use, not those crappy consoles). FPS, 4X and MMORPGs mostly. 5. I have married only once and to a woman who is as nuts as I am and happens to be my best friend. 6. I was raised Catholic but, have found my spiritualty in Zen. 7. Was born in the Midwest but, lived a majority of my life in the south. 8. Played a college sport but, never earned a scholarship. 9. Was also in a Fraternity. 10. I love air shows.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Bluestride @7    7 years ago

Welcome Bluestride.  I saw your introductory article.  Welcome to NT!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
8  Nowhere Man    7 years ago
  1. I was born in CT, but I was raised on a milk farm in VT, kinda half and half, currently I'm a Washingtonian.
  2. My family has a long history of serving in the military.
  3. I am an direct descendant of the Hon. Cpt. John Gilman, of Exeter, N.H. (former Royal Navy officer, judge and royal counselor, son of Edward "the Colonist" Gilman, IV)
  4. I have 2 children (boy and girl) and 6 grandchildren
  5. I've been married to the same woman for 30 years
  6. I retired (was actually fired) from the White House Staff, and occasionally do consulting work for the political parties.
  7. I hike, hunt, fish, play with firearms, invent things, build models, encode movies and am the #1 world distributed computing enthusiast amongst many other things.
  8. I am a Christian, but claim no specific Christian denomination.
  9. I am an amateur historian.
  10. I am a former Democrat, former Republican, currently no political affiliation.
  11. I've traveled all over the nation protesting and fighting for Americans.
  12. I thought I was a boob aficionado, turns out I'm just a butt guy.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Nowhere Man @8    7 years ago
milk farm in VT, kinda half and half,

laughing dude  Great play on words.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
8.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Nowhere Man @8    7 years ago

I have to ask, which administration canned you?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
8.2.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Spikegary @8.2    7 years ago

At the tail end of the first Bush administration. About three weeks before he lost the election.

Might have had something to do with my telling him and his soothsayers to their faces that he was going to lose the election during a campaign strategy session. I was a Reagan holdover, one of the last ones to be fired. Besides those guys didn't like Dick at all or his brand of truthful reality... (and I was one of Dicks proteges)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
8.2.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Nowhere Man @8.2.1    7 years ago

Funny, I was working for a limo company (part time) as a Chauffeur and was at the White House and some other places with one of our high level clients....you probably know his name.....we can talk on private message.....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
8.2.3  Nowhere Man  replied to  Spikegary @8.2.2    7 years ago
.....was at the White House and some other places with one of our high level clients....you probably know his name.....we can talk on private message.....

Anytime my friend, if he had anything to do with politics and political analysis, I just might.... there were a lot of people coming and going back then. Most couldn't (or wouldn't) conceive of him loosing.... They were actually getting pretty desperate as the election was getting closer. I wasn't the first to see it coming, but I was the first to bring it up in the open.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
8.2.4  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Nowhere Man @8.2.3    7 years ago

More of a friend of RR's.  He sent his plane to a few states away to bring back some items (videos)?) during Iran Contra.  Also, there was a child mauling in the district and he flew Michael Jackson and company in to visit the child in the hospital....

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
8.2.5  Nowhere Man  replied to  Spikegary @8.2.4    7 years ago
Michael Jackson and company in to visit the child in the hospital

Your talking about Raynal Pope? He took the opportunity to visit the girl at her house after Bush gave him the "Point of Light" award in May of '92. I wasn't there during the award, I was off on a "mission" that I really can't talk about. But Michael Jackson doing that was the talk of the staff.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
8.2.6  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Nowhere Man @8.2.5    7 years ago

Naw, a different client.  From New Jersey......he had a company maintaining his Learjet and flying him around, liked the company so much, he bought it and added a Gulfstream G3 to his inventory (that, BTW, was the one they picked up MJ and his entourage in.  I was actually aboard her when he flew the (figurative) head of the 'Grey Panthers' to D.C. to have lunch with the president.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
8.2.7  Nowhere Man  replied to  Spikegary @8.2.6    7 years ago
.... I was actually aboard her when he flew the (figurative) head of the 'Grey Panthers' to D.C. to have lunch with the president.

That would have been Maggie Kuhn, the Founder of the Grey Panthers. I was there when Ronnie signed the bill ending mandatory retirement and got to shake her hand.... She was a feisty one......

She earned my respect as an anti-war protester...

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
8.2.8  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Nowhere Man @8.2.7    7 years ago

I was sitting outside in the Limo awaiting to take her back from lunch to the airport....you and I were likely about 100 feet from each other, maybe less. I parked in the circle, out of the way of the double doors........Silver Stretch Cadillac.........

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
8.2.9  Nowhere Man  replied to  Spikegary @8.2.8    7 years ago

Small world my friend.....

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
9  Sunshine    7 years ago

1. Newsvine refugee.
2. I live in the beautiful state of Michigan and a Sparty Fan. Big rival game tomorrow. Go State!!
3. I have two grandchildren, a girl and a boy. Whom I spend a lot of my spare time spoiling rotten
4. Still working, but looking forward to retirement in a few years
5. Love Love traveling, been to 9 countries and most of the US
6. Bucket list is to visit New York City, Washington DC, and New England
7. Kitty named Rosie.
8. Guilty pleasure is Real Housewives, but getting tired of that so I need to find a new one.
9. I enjoy getting lost into a good movie.
10. Family time is the most precious to me.
11. My family has served in the military since the Civil War.  
12. My Great grandfather served, he was a poor immigrant from Southern Germany. Arrived in the US in 1851 at the age of 20. Dead broke and all by himself.
13.  I wish I was a better cook.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1  Dulay  replied to  Sunshine @9    7 years ago
12. My Great grandfather served, he was a poor immigrant from Southern Germany. Arrived in the US in 1851 at the age of 20. Dead broke and all by himself.

I found out though months of Ancestry searches that one of my forbearers came to the colonies, failed miserably, got on a ship to go back to Europe and his ship sank just off of the east coast. He never left again. 

Talk about kismet. 

Out ancestors have a tail to tell...

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
9.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Sunshine @9    7 years ago

I watched 'A Dog's Purpose' with my mom on Sunday night.....we both were a bit misty.......Welcome and I hope you enjoy NT!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10  Freefaller    7 years ago

Good topic Spikegary, let's see

1.  Born in Ft Belvoir Virginia, raised mostly in Canada but also Australia and Tanzania

2.  Been military for the last 34 years, it's been great

3.  Retiring in 4 months and am dreading the day

4  Getting my class 1 and hoping to get a truck driving job, we'll see

5. Greatly interested in pre-Columbian civilizations and geography which is part of the reason I'll be relocating to Central America after true retirement

6. Widower with 2 kids and recently 1 grandchild (who I plan to spoil rotten whenever I can)

7. Follow all major Toronto sports teams, Jays (suck) Leafs (suck), Raptors (ok), Argos (ok) FC (fantastic)

8. Loathe politicians dislike politics and avoid articles about either like the plague

9. Hobbies are reading and scuba, used to skydive (thus the screenname) but now my old man knees are buggered

10. Yep that's about it

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
10.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Freefaller @10    7 years ago

Welcome to NT, Freefaller.  I listen to 102.1 out of Toronto and they have one commercial 'bumper' where the guy says 'Welcome to Toronto.....where Hockey Players Go to Die'.  I live just across the border and work part time for a Canadian Media Company.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Spikegary @10.1    7 years ago

Lol the Leafs do seem to like more ummm... experienced players

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @10.1.1    7 years ago

The Leafs' glory days passed long ago, but as a long-time fan I have to continue to believe that there's always hope. After all, the Cubs' fans eventually got their wish, didn't they?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10.1.3  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.1.2    7 years ago

There is always hope, lol lowered expectations also help.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
10.1.4  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.1.2    7 years ago

There's a Tragically Hip song that commemorates the glory days......

Fifty-Mission Cap

Bill Barilko disappeared that summer,
He was on a fishing trip.
The last goal he ever scored
Won the Leafs the cup
They didn't win another until 1962,
The year he was discovered.
I stole this from a hockey card,
I keep tucked up under
My fifty mission cap, I worked it in
To look like that
Bill Barilko disappeared that summer, (in 1950)
He was on a fishing trip.(in a plane)
The last goal he ever scored (in overtime)
Won the
Here's the link to their web page: 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
10.1.5  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Freefaller @10.1.3    7 years ago

I saw this today, thought you might get a kick out of it:

Leaf Fan Waiting.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary @10.1.5    7 years ago

The funniest things are the ones that are true.  laughing dude

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.2  Krishna  replied to  Freefaller @10    7 years ago
f the reason I'll be relocating to Central America after true retirement

Costa Rica?

If so you'll have company (from another member of NT!)

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10.2.1  Freefaller  replied to  Krishna @10.2    7 years ago

Well I'm leaning towards Costa Rica but Belize is also in the running.  Venezuela used to be a consideration (many years ago) but not anymore, lol

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
12  Sunshine    7 years ago
I'm a Jerk.

far from it

Dulay
Professor Expert
13  Dulay    7 years ago

1. Born @ Oak Knoll Naval Hospital, Oakland, CA, jarhead at birth. Grew up in Chicago.
2. Filipino, German, English mute. American.
3. Hitchhiked to California when I was 17, came back a year later.
4. Worked in Graphic arts and Advertising on the Magnificent Mile for decades.
5. Moved back to California in ’80 and came back again after the earthquake in ’89.
6. Read every gardening and landscape book in the library and went from working in glass and concrete in Chicago to sunshine and lollypops in Indiana to be closer to my mommy. Since then I have managed large landscape/nursery companies.
7. After Iowa’s Supreme Court ruled on marriage equality in 2009, the family trekked to Iowa and after being together for over 10 years, my wife and I got hitched. Her mom and dad, now in their 80s, moved from Wisconsin to be closer to us.
8. We have a dog, 3 cats and fish.
9. I read veraciously. History, sci-fi, classics, mystery. I cannot afford my addiction and count on senior days @ Goodwill for my book fix. Oh I forgot cook books but that addiction is hereditary.
10. Camping and fishing are my happy place. I did a lot more of it when I lived in NoCal but still try for Steelheads here. Notice that I said ‘try’.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
13.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Dulay @13    7 years ago

Welcome, Dulay.  Hunting and fishing sounds good....many steelheads in Iowa?

Dulay
Professor Expert
13.1.1  Dulay  replied to  Spikegary @13.1    7 years ago
many steelheads in Iowa?

I'm in Northwest Indiana. Steelhead run from Lake Michigan into the creek within half a mile from my house. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
13.1.2  Dowser  replied to  Dulay @13.1.1    7 years ago

Do you know where Rensselaer is?  I had a big project there, once.  I've worked frequently in that area!

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
14  tomwcraig    7 years ago

1) I was born on the Marine Base in Quantico, Va in a Naval Hospital that became a library and was then torn down.

2) I am a football fan (former Dallas Cowboy fan due to Barry Switzer becoming their coach, now a Pittsburgh Steelers fan) WE ARE...PENN STATE! 

3) Lived 9 miles from Beaver Stadium (Penn State's main campus) for most of my life.

4) Love video games, mainly strategy and in particular 4x games

5) Have a Bachelors degree in Game Software Development

6) Was a Chemistry major before getting my degree

7) Am a Conservative Republican with Libertarian leanings

8) Am a Cancer survivor and due to complications, nearly everyone is a leg up on me. (See profile pic from about 2008)

9) I live in Oregon (about 2 hours from the Pacific Coast and a bunch of dormant volcanoes) now and work in tech support

10) My wife and I have 3 cats: Cleo, Gideon, and Marie.

Dulay
Professor Expert
14.1  Dulay  replied to  tomwcraig @14    7 years ago

Love the name Gideon for a cat but I'll be using for a female. No more male cats for me...

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
14.2  tomwcraig  replied to  tomwcraig @14    7 years ago

Something I forgot to mention, I have been a member of this site since its founding but remained with Newsvine until the end.

Krishna
Professor Expert
14.2.1  Krishna  replied to  tomwcraig @14.2    7 years ago
Something I forgot to mention, I have been a member of this site since its founding but remained with Newsvine until the end.

I remember you from NV-- way back. (I joined it in 2007). WFere you a member of the NV group-- I forget its name-- that was run by Bodhi1?

I didn't know you were a member of NT---IIRC, you haven't been active on NT until recently ....?

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
14.2.2  tomwcraig  replied to  Krishna @14.2.1    7 years ago

I think I was active when NT started up, but whatever I commented or wrote disappeared somewhere between NT’s startup just after the Nations concept (death knell) was rolled out on NV and when NV died.  I just maintained my account on NV more than I logged in here.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
14.3  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  tomwcraig @14    7 years ago

Glad you survived cancer.  Welcome to NT and I hope you enjoy your stay.  I believe we were friends on NV, though I dropped out of there a long time ago.

Al-316
Professor Silent
14.4  Al-316  replied to  tomwcraig @14    7 years ago

Tom, your first comment cracked my up.

My wife is buried at Quantico and I will be, too.

Al

Kavika
Professor Principal
15  Kavika     7 years ago

1. Born in Warroad MN. a really long time ago. There were no such thing as a TV, radio was rare and cars were pretty non existent, roads were dirt and sidewalks were wooden. 

2. Enrolled member of the Ojibwe Nation and the Metis Nation

3. Have lived in numerous states and countries during my working career. Australia, Singapore, HK, Samoa and Guam. I've lived in, worked in, extensive business trips to 52 countries. 

4. I love history, anthropology and archaeology  and I'm a voracious reader.  I also love the study of language.

5. I have two children, four grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren and a beautiful wife.

6. We have two dogs, Wiki Warrior Wonder Wiener and Annie the Orphan. A groundhog named Rocky and a armadillo named Amos.

7. I'm from a military family that has served in every war dating back to the war of 1812. I'm a Vietnam vet. My son is a disabled Marine veteran. (Beirut) 

8. I'm a avid fisherman and fished tournaments for many years (bass). largest bass was 11 lb 5 oz Clear Lake CA. I'm an adrenalin junky. Certified scuba diver, sky diver, raced powerboats, white and black water rafting and hang gliding. 

9. I volunteer helping native children and survivors of the Indian Boarding School era. 

10. For many years I danced at various Pow Wow's and was a Fancy Dancer. You might have to look that one up. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
15.3  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Kavika @15    7 years ago

Thanks for coming by, Kav.  BTW, for all of you, especially new folks.  Kavika's stories should be required reading on here, but are actually voluntary-you won't be disappointed by reading any (or all) of his published works here on NT.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
15.4  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @15    7 years ago

Dear Friend, Brother and Treasured Writing Partner Kavika: No one advocates for anything better or more tirelessly than do you for Native and First Americans. 

There would be way more justice peace and harmony with more like you.

E.

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
18  Iamak47    7 years ago

1. Born in Cincinnati, raised in Indiana, ended up in central Ky

2. 2 sons, 25 & 19.  Oldest is USMC vet and LEO, youngest is studying to be an engineer.

3. Wife and I have been together 27 years.

4. Professional horseman for 30 years.

5. Love outdoors, hiking, backpacking ....but my back limits me these days (see 4)

6. Love the water, swimming, fishing, boating, floating, hot tub, indoor plumbing

7. Was going to be a musician(drums),  but ended up with a more stable career in horses :)

8. Music is still a big part of my life, play when I can

9. Wish I had more time for woodworking

10.  Most of my political views are shaped by family and love of country.  I'm still a work in progress.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
18.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Iamak47 @18    7 years ago

Just came back from 3 days off the grid at my family's lake house-nothing like that place-swimming, hiking, enjoying nature.  Sad time of year, as we closed her down for the season (though it was 80 degrees on Sunday!). 

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
18.1.1  Iamak47  replied to  Spikegary @18.1    7 years ago

I got back from the lake yesterday.  We have some friends who let us use their lake house a few times/year.  Been looking at lakefront properties for the last 5 years, but never had the guts to pull the trigger because they can be a risky investment.  This year, I'm in a better place to take a risk, but the market has fully recovered to the point that many lakefront properties are now overvalued.......so we wait.

Anyway, it's cool that your family has established a presence on the lake.  What a great legacy to pass on!  

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
18.1.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Iamak47 @18.1.1    7 years ago

Actually, my folks in a gesture of love, put the place into a multi-generational irrevocable trust, so it will be in the family for my generation ad at least 2 more generations.  When you have an opportunity to buy?  I recommend doing it.  They aren't making any more lake property-and it's not something that will ever be a losing proposition, to my mind, even the memories are worth dollars in the long run.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
18.2  Dowser  replied to  Iamak47 @18    7 years ago

Gosh, you should join the KY group!  I live in Louisville, but was born in Owensboro.  Welcome to NT!

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
18.2.1  Iamak47  replied to  Dowser @18.2    7 years ago

I'm there!  Joined a couple months ago.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
18.2.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Dowser @18.2    7 years ago

Hey you, where's your list?

Love,

Gary

lib50
Professor Silent
20  lib50    7 years ago

1. Born in Ohio, spent most of my life in California.

2. Married to same guy for 39 years. I was very young! : )

3. 2 sons, lost my daughter when she was 21. Oldest graduated from UCLA and youngest at community college.

4. Cancer survivor, just made 5 years cancer free!

5. Spent 8 years living in Ireland and England, you learn a lot from other countries!

6. One son served in Iraq as a sniper and a scout and has 3 purple hearts.

7. I have never belonged to either major party, I registered at 18 as an independent and am now 'decline to state'.

8. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration/Finance.

9. I became a travel agent after I got the degree instead because that was my passion. Now I'm more focused on other things though.

10.I'm a gentle soul, but I have the balls to speak out, sometimes a little too loud and strong because staying silent or looking aside is not enough for me.  I'm most definitely not a 'snowflake'.  I registered here when you guys first set this place up but was to lazy to wade through it all.  I'm trying now! I recognize a lot of people from the old past as well as recent past.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
20.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  lib50 @20    7 years ago

I'm sorry about the loss of your daughter, happy that you are a cancer survivor.  Glad you've found a career oyu are passionate about....many people never get there.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22  Raven Wing    7 years ago

1. Born in Lancaster CA. My Father was serving in the Army Air Force at Muroc Air base near Lancaster before it ws renamed Edwards Air Force Base. He was among the first to prep the dry lake bed for training of the RAF pilots before the US entered WWII. He is a disabled WWII Veteran, as is my Paternal Grandfather. 

2. I am Native American of the Cherokee Tribe.

3. I practice the religious beliefs of my Cherokee ancestors and am not affiliated with any organized religion.

4. I love history, anthropology and archaeology  and I'm a voracious reader.  I also love the study of language.

5. I am unmarried. I had two children, both of whom have walked on. My Son walked on from a rare form of cancer and my Daughter walked on from the complications of MS. All my immediate family have walked on and I now only have my Granddaughter, who lives near me and we have a wonderful relationship.  

6. I now have one cat named Yoda, who is my dear Friend and companion.

7. Lived in Pawhuska OK for almost 4 years, which was a small town that was made up of mostly Native Americans from the many surrounding Tribes. During that time my Father, who had been a police officer with the Ft Worth PD for 15 years, and brought into the Texas Rangers as a Special Agent and Arms Expert as a sharpshooter, was working the Ok Cattleman's  Association to combat avid cattle rustling in the area. It is also where I was given my Cherokee name of Raven Wing by the Grandfather (the eldest male of the Tribe) who lived on the Cherokee  Reservation at the time.

8. I am now retired and share a home at the grace of my kitty Yoda in a Senior community.  

9. I'm from a military family. My Cherokee family members have served in wars dating back to the Civil Way. My Brother was in the Navy and served two tours in Vietnam. My Father was in the Army and my Grandfather was a Marine and both were Veterans of WWII. My Great Grandfather served in WWI, my Great-Great-Grandfather served as a Scout with the Union Army during the Civil War and was killed in Andersonville by torture, starvation and dysentery, because the head of Andersonville hated Native Americans.  

10. I have a degree in Business Management and Product Development. I owned and operated my own business for 15 years in Azusa CA in the Los Angeles area, which involved wire product development and plastic hand held shopping baskets. My company was the first company to produce the baskets here in the US. All others were imported from Taiwan, Sweden and other countries.

11. I sold the business in 1986 and moved to San Diego CA where worked as Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent of Wayside Maintenance at San Diego Trolley Inc for 17 years. During that time I developed an Access database for recording FRA and PUC required inspections. The first of its kind in light rail transit. I also created a to scale graphic for the entire system which included switch, signal, grade crossing, power stations and other wayside equipment and their type. Also a one of a kind at the time. 

12. In 2004 I moved to No Virginia and did research of my Maternal Cherokee ancestors whose homeland was the Shenandoah Valley and Mountains. I also became a Microsoft MVP (Most Valued Professional) and worked as an Instructor for two Community Colleges in the nearby areas where I taught Windows operating systems and Office  applications for three years. I also was a volunteer to help Seniors learn how to better use their computers at a local Senior Citizens center. 

13. In Nov or 2008 I returned to So Calif to care for my ailing Father, having lost my Mother in 2006. I now live near Riverside CA where I can be near my Granddaughter.

Life has all been a truly interesting learning period, and I am now passing the many things that I learned over the years to my Granddaughter, who might one day find them useful. (smile)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
22.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Raven Wing @22    7 years ago

Very accomplished person, RW.  It is my pleasure to call you my friend.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Spikegary @22.1    7 years ago

Thank you for your kind words, Spikegary. It is my honor to be your Friend (smile)

Krishna
Professor Expert
22.2  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @22    7 years ago
 During that time I developed an Access database for recording FRA and PUC required inspections. The first of its kind in light rail transit. I also created a to scale graphic for the entire system which included switch, signal, grade crossing, power stations and other wayside equipment and their type. Also a one of a kind at the time.
 I also became a Microsoft MVP (Most Valued Professional) and worked as an Instructor for two Community Colleges in the nearby areas where I taught Windows operating systems and Office  applications for three years. I also was a volunteer to help Seniors learn how to better use their computers at a local Senior Citizens center. 

You have accomplished so many different things in your life .

And it seems you are a real "techie"! That is interesting, because I didn't have that impression of you. Happy

BTW, I have a group of friends that meet once/month to discuss a wide range of topics. (Anything except politics.).  Can you guess what they do professionally?

Hint: about 75-80% of the group are either Indian-Americans (India) or Chinese-Americans. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @22.2    7 years ago
And it seems you are a real "techie"! That is interesting, because I didn't have that impression of you.

LOL!! A lot of people are surprised about that part of my life. It is one part that I truly love being a part of. Though I am not a programmer, which I found rather boring for me, I love chasing and catching the 'bugs' in the software and hopefully getting them corrected. However, even when they are found it is sometimes not easy to get rid of them completely, as it would mean redoing a part of entire portion of the software, and could possibly lead to even more issues. 

Security was another one of my loves, which I enjoyed being an MVP with Internet Explorer and working with the MS Security team. All the issues that need to be dealt with truly boggle the mind. (grin)

Thank you for your kind words. They are truly appreciated. (smile)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
22.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @22    7 years ago

Oh, RW, I didn't realize your children had walked on.  I'm so sorry to hear that.

You've lived an amazing life.

We've nearly crossed paths - I live in the Shenandoah Valley.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22.3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @22.3    7 years ago

Hi sandy, thank you for your kind words and sympathy. It was hard to see my Son leave me under the circumstances that caused him to do so. And even harder to lose my Daughter as well after a long struggle with her illness. But, knowing that they are now in a good place and free of suffering gives me comfort.

The Shenandoah Valley and Mountains were very Spiritual for me, not only for the fact that they were the homeland of my Maternal Cherokee ancestors, but, for their beauty and their essence of Mother Earth at her best. I loved to to drive along Skyline Drive and stop along the way to enjoy the many meadows and forested areas. It was there that I felt the Spirits of my ancestors, and standing at the top of the highest point in the Mountains and looking back down the vast valley below to the South, I could understand why my ancestors fought to hard to save their homeland. 

I lived in in the Town of Warrenton, which is not that far away from there. in The fall the turning of the leaves in the Shenandoah Mtns drew people from many states to see the immense beauty of the array of the colors of the leaves there. When I feel I need to find a place to restore my Spirits, I close my eyes and let my mind wander back to that wonder feeling of being among the Spirits of my ancestors that are still there. (smile)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
22.3.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @22.3.1    7 years ago

I'm glad you've found peace, and that you have a good relationship with your granddaughter.

The Valley is beautiful, isn't it?  I'm glad you got to live here for a time, and feel that connection to your ancestors.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22.3.3  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @22.3.2    7 years ago

Thanks, sandy. I had wanted to go there for many years, just time never allowed earlier. I also had the opportunity to experience many new things in my life that I might never have had the chance to do elsewhere, as well as visit areas of our Nation's history. The vast Civil War Battlefields in that area were amazing and very enlightening. The Spirits that still abide there are heartfelt, and very Spiritually inspiring. Old Jamestown was also very telling in its history. I was very glad I had the chance to visit those areas, it was very insightful and a great learning opportunity. (smile)   

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
22.3.4  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Raven Wing @22.3.3    7 years ago

I lived in Virginia for about 15 years of my Air Force Career and spent time in those areas also.  They are awe inspiring places. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
22.3.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @22.3.3    7 years ago

The Williamsburg/Jamestown area has become my go-to spot for vacations and weekend getaways.  I love it there - the history is so interesting, and my son and I both love the roller coasters at Busch Gardens.  We go at least one week every summer, and try to get there a few other times during the year.

We pass by Warrenton on the drive there :)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22.3.6  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @22.3.5    7 years ago

Indeed, Williamsburg is a great historical place to visit. I went there on my way back from Old Jamestown. The shops and historical sites were truly interesting and enlightening. It gave a fairly good insight to the everyday life of the people there in the beginning. 

I got a lovely bottle made from the blown Green Glass from historical glass blowing place near Old Jamestown. It really is beautiful. There was an archaeological underway near the Old Jamestown Museum when I visited there, and they had a lot of items recently found in an old abandoned dry well on display there are well. The Spirits of the long dead were still there, and I could feel them as I walked across the bridge to the Museum that goes over the graveyard. A very enlightening site. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22.3.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Spikegary @22.3.4    7 years ago

Indeed they are awesome, and inspiring. I had always to visit one of the early settlements at some point in my life, but, being 3000 miles from anything like that it seemed unlikely in this lifetime. So when I was lucky enough to finally be able to actually live in an area with so much early settlement history I was truly fascinated. All I had ever been able to do was read about them in books, but, seeing them in person brought them alive and into real perspective. Those trips, plus researching the homeland of my Cherokee ancestors was truly a Blessing for me. (smile)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
22.3.8  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Raven Wing @22.3.6    7 years ago

I used to do charters to Williamsburg and up Plantation Row on Route 5 to Richmond for the bus company I worked part time for.  Williamsburg - a colonial dinner-first time I've ever had peanut soup....it was good!  The Plantations?  Nice places, very dark history....getting buses through the stone gate stanchions was like threading a needle.

I used to love driving the Colonial Parkway on a Sunny Summer Day on a bike or in the convertible.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
22.3.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  Spikegary @22.3.8    7 years ago
first time I've ever had peanut soup....it was good!

I'm going to have to try that someday.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22.3.10  Raven Wing  replied to  Spikegary @22.3.8    7 years ago
peanut soup....it was good

Indeed it is! My Maternal Grandmother used to make that for us when we were kids and went to visit. Especially, in the Fall and Winter times. It was a recipe that she inherited from her great-great-Grandmother. She ground fresh roasted peanuts she bought from a local peanut farm and ground them herself. All the vegetable ingredients came from her own garden. She churned the fresh butter herself and got the cream from a neighbor who had a cow. The soup along with Cherokee Fry Bread was wonderful and really lifted the Spirits. 

I never tried it at the time I visited Williamsburg, but, if it was anything like my Grandmother's peanut soup it would be delicious. 

Another of my favorites is pumpkin soup. I used to make that for my own family during the Thanksgiving holidays.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
22.3.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @22.3.10    7 years ago
Another of my favorites is pumpkin soup. I used to make that for my own family during the Thanksgiving holidays.

I love pumpkin soup.  I don't make it often, because my son thinks it's weird, but mmmmm.  That and some fresh bread are good, healthy comfort food.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22.3.12  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @22.3.11    7 years ago

I don't make it as much now as it is only me now, and my Granddaughter, who has learned how to make it as well so she now makes it herself for her family. So now I get to enjoy it without all the work. (grin)

GregTx
PhD Guide
22.3.13  GregTx  replied to  Raven Wing @22.3.1    7 years ago

Amazing how small the world is. I lived in Warrenton a couple of time over the last 30+/- years. To this day whenever I go to the store to get steaks, I think wistfully of the ribeyes I used to get down the road at the Catlett Meat Market.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22.3.14  Raven Wing  replied to  GregTx @22.3.13    7 years ago

Hi GregTx,

When I first moved to Warrenton from San Diego it was like stepping back in time to the 1950's, where people didn't worry about locking the doors on their house or cars, or use steering wheel clubs to prevent theft of them. The main street was like walking down a distant time gone by, as most all of the buildings were landmarks, even the small building where I lived. Even though it was only 35 minutes west of Manassas and 45 minutes from DC proper, it was a fairly quiet little town. 

I later found out why people were so laid back about not locking their house or car doors, or walking the streets after dark, was due to the abundance of local, state and Federal law enforcement and agencies. Warrenton was one of the Hqtrs of the State Hwy patrol, home to a group of Federal agencies including the FBI, undercover agencies held over from the Cold War, as well as the local police. It was also the County Seat for the Fauquire County. Crime in the area was virtually non-existent. The best part was that Warrenton was not far away from Front Royal and the Shenandoah Valley and Mtns. Which are the homeland of my Maternal Cherokee ancestors.

I loved shopping at the Giant food store in Warrenton, and the many outdoor activities held during the summer. 

I really do miss it. (smile)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
22.3.15  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Raven Wing @22.3.12    7 years ago

I once had chilled Strawberry Soup.....it seemed so weird on the menu that I had to try it........and I'm glad I did!  It was at 'The Pinnacle' Restaurant on top of a mountain overlooking the lakes my family is on.

GregTx
PhD Guide
22.3.16  GregTx  replied to  Raven Wing @22.3.14    7 years ago

As do I. Whenever me and the misses are talking about retirement I throw Luray or thereabouts into the discussion. However she's a native born Michigander through and through and seems dead set on settling back there.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
22.3.17  sandy-2021492  replied to  Spikegary @22.3.15    7 years ago

I had that at the Williamsburg Lodge.  It was delicious!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22.3.18  Raven Wing  replied to  Spikegary @22.3.15    7 years ago

I have never tried that kind of soup because I am allergic to strawberries. But, I have had chilled apricot soup and it was really quite good. They served that at a small restaurant near Tampa FL when a friend and I stopped there for lunch on our way to Ft Myers FL. It, too, was really very good. Being the cook I am I tried making it myself a few times at home, but, it never turned out as good as that in the restaurant. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
22.3.19  Raven Wing  replied to  GregTx @22.3.16    7 years ago

Luray really is a beautiful area. I have passed through there often in my travels in and around Virginia. I always passed through there when I attended the POW WOWs at New Market. It really is a lovely drive along there. I was and Instructor for Microsoft software and operating systems at the then new Technology Center in Culpeper for two years, and the Lord Fairfax community college in Warrenton for a year before. I was also an Instructor in the 2007 Office programs for the City of Culpeper management employees. I really miss it. (smile)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
23  Raven Wing    7 years ago

It is truly wonderful to be able to learn such interesting information about the Members here on NT, both new and old. Thank you all for participating. The more we know each other the more we can put a real persona behind the people we are conversing with, and hopefully, regard them with more respect and compassion. (smile)

pat wilson
Professor Participates
25  pat wilson    7 years ago

Here's mine :

1. Grew up and spent early adulthood in Ohio.

2. Have lived in southern California for the past 25 years.

3. Studied fine art in high school and college, have a minor degree in graphic design.

4. Worked many years in the sign business before starting my own small business 20 years ago (damn ! time flies)

5. Love hiking and long brisk walks (hate gyms). Have collected fossil and mineral specimens all my life, in different states. I’ve done artwork all my life but go through spells of productivity.

6. Love to travel, have been to half the states in the U.S. also Mexico, Costa Rica, Chile, France and Italy. Ireland’s on my list. I have distant cousins there.

7. Have one beautiful daughter who is a professional chef.

8. Love gardening too though most of my outdoor area is concrete. I grow plants, flowers and herbs in pots. 

9.  My blood is primarily Irish with some German and a bit of Alsatian (no dog jokes, thank you).

10. People ask me when I return from another country if the people are nice. I tell them they are like people anywhere, most are nice, some are not. Like NT (smile)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
25.1  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @25    7 years ago

Howdy fellow So Cal Gal! (smile)

pat wilson
Professor Participates
25.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Raven Wing @25.1    7 years ago

Hey RW ! Hope you don't mind me co-opting your (smile). Some of the smile emojis just look kinda stupid. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
25.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @25.1.1    7 years ago

Not at all, Pat. Help yourself.

Smiles are meant to be shared, that's why they're so contagious. (smile)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
25.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  pat wilson @25    7 years ago

I claim Irish as my primary, as my last name is from the Emerald Isle.  In reality, I'm a Heinz 57 type mutt!  But, hey, mutts are lovable.

Krishna
Professor Expert
25.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Spikegary @25.2    7 years ago
I claim Irish as my primary, as my last name is from the Emerald Isle.  In reality, I'm a Heinz 57 type mutt!

I myself am half Scotch and half water! winking

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
25.3  Dowser  replied to  pat wilson @25    7 years ago

YAY for rocks and mineral collections!

Krishna
Professor Expert
26  Krishna    7 years ago

P I am difficult to get to know. Part of the reason is that I have so many diverse interests. Also-- its just a habit...

Back in the Day, a friend of mine, on Newsvine, started a group called '10 things About You'.

I remember that-- at the time I was tempted to participate-- but finally decided I didn't want to reveal much about myself there...so I didn't.re-- but if you know those details please don't reveal them :-)

1. In some ways I am quite conventional, but also part of my personality is very unconventional.

2. I am  intensly curiousity. One of the things I love is learning new things. I have also always been intrigued by creativity-- and have actually studied the psychology of creating-- how and why some people "think different". 

(I also taught several courses in creating).

3. As a kid I was fascinated with science-- wanted to spend my life in an isolated underground lab doing experiments. In High School I was a typical nerd-- thick glasses, flannel shirt (occasionally with a plaid tie that didn't match) with pocket protector, slide rule. The first time I saw the Big Bang Theory on TV I really identified with the characters-- those were the types of people I hung out with in High School! (And I started as an undergraduate at UNC Chapel Hill majoring in Chemistry). 

4. I had always been an idealist. In college I participated in the Civil Rights movement. (I had some rather unusual experiences-- I met MLK and conversed briefly with MLK in a black Baptist church-- before we went out to March. I also met the Grand Dragon of the N.C. KKK-- who put out a hit on me! (Could've ended up like this, like Cheney, Goodman, & Schwerner- - but fortunately I escaped :-)

5. Among my greatest loves is sailing-- although haven't done it in years.

6. I took an "Introduction to Computing" course and Intro to programming. I had a real knack for it, &  loved it more than just about anything else I've done in my life.-- was thinking of becoming a software engineer. 

7. I like to explore new (even unpopular) ideas. Unusal perhaps for a "scientific type" such as me, I have studied Astrology for well over 30 years. After several years it occurred to me: since I'm putting in so much time studying it-- why not get paid for it? I tried have a few clients, but didn't like it. So, for the past 12 or so years I've been researching as to how it might be useful in trading (stock market). A less serious interest of mine is reading Tarot cards. 

(cont'd in next comment)

Krishna
Professor Expert
26.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @26    7 years ago

(cont'd from previous comment):

8. I am probably the only person you've known who has a Nazi in his family (had --now long deceased). My uncle's brother was an officer in the German army under Hitler!

9. I have lived for short periods  in some "intentional communities"-- ("experimental...") as a volunteer in 2 different kibbutzim in Israel, one when the West Bank was still occupied by Jordan and Gaza occupied by Egypt. Another many years later.

10. I have studied various philosophies, including Eastern ones. I practiced yoga for years-- then I went to live on an Ashram in rural Va for a month. (Later extended stay for 3 months). I have never followed one spiritual path, but have learned things from many ones-- Now I suppose my beliefs are closest to Buddhism-- with a lot of other things mixed in)

Image result for swami satchidananda

Their Guru: H.H. The Rev Swami Satchidananda 

(He was the official Guru at Woodstock):

Swami Satchidananda on stage at the 1969 Woodstock Festival
So that's a lot-- there are many other things about me I choose not to reveal now but may later....

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
26.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna @26.1    7 years ago

Very interesting Krishna. Thank you so much for sharing the many interesting parts of your life. (smile)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
26.1.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Krishna @26.1    7 years ago

Hi Krishna,

You and I have been friends from back in the Newsvine days.  I still hear from Mel (the original 10 things creator-I think I may have been an admin on that group) on FB.  She is happily married now.  Thanks for sharing.....some!

Krishna
Professor Expert
26.1.3  Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing @26.1.1    7 years ago
Very interesting Krishna. Thank you so much for sharing the many interesting parts of your life. (smile)

You're welcome :-)

Krishna
Professor Expert
26.1.4  Krishna  replied to  Spikegary @26.1.2    7 years ago

Spikegary-- its true-- we had both been on NV & known each other there a long, long time!'

Its been great seeing you here.

And I am really glad that so many from NV have come to NT-- makes it possible to keep up with many old friends. (Offline I only stay in touch with 2 people from Newsvine, so if so many from NV hadn't come here I probably would never communicate with them again. I probably should've gotten a lot more peoples' email addresses or Facebook pages, but unfortunately I didn't...).

Krishna
Professor Expert
26.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @26.1    7 years ago
Swami Satchidananda on stage at the 1969 Woodstock Festival

Here's a better picture-- this one is fairly widely known:

woodstock satchidananda

P.S: At the time some friends of mine went to Woodstock.  However I decided not to go with them,- a decision I regret. 

BTW IIRC, there is one person on NT who did go and mentioned it here-- Buzz went!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
26.1.6  Dowser  replied to  Krishna @26.1    7 years ago

You may be difficult to get to know, but I love you!  

Krishna
Professor Expert
26.1.7  Krishna  replied to  Dowser @26.1.6    7 years ago
You may be difficult to get to know, but I love you!

Thanks blushing .

(And y0ou are one of my favourite people here on NT...you have contributed so much over time)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
26.1.8  Dowser  replied to  Krishna @26.1.7    7 years ago

Nothing like you have!  Big hugs

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
26.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @26.1    7 years ago

And you were my first friend when I joined NV and my mentor whose advice when not followed by me always got me into trouble.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
26.1.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @26.1.5    7 years ago

No, I ALMOST went to Woodstock. I was going to drive and two others were going to come with me, but the weather report said rain so I didn't go.  The iconic event I WAS at was the Newport Folk Festival where I saw Bob Dylan get booed off the stage for going electric. I never did think that Maggie's Farm was such a great song, but when he came back on stage with an acoustic guitar and sang "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" it was exceptionally meaningful at that moment.

Krishna
Professor Expert
26.1.11  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @26.1.10    7 years ago

Oh-- I knew you said you went to one of those historic events in the 60s-- I had thought it was Woodstock.

I never went to Woodstock, nor the Newport Folk Festival. I was a big fan of Dylan, but for some reason never saw him live.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
26.1.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @26.1.11    7 years ago

It was in the very early 1960s that Dylan came to Toronto for a concert in Massey Hall (which is not very big, but he was hardly known then). I took a folk singer who sang his songs in coffee houses with me to see him perform. When I was the President of the Mariposa Folk Foundation and in charge of the 1972 Mariposa Folk Festival Dylan showed up unexpectedly with his wife Sara and son Jesse just to see the festival. I was faced with a huge decision of whether or not to let him perform, and being pressured by our many regular performers not to allow him on a stage, I succumbed to their threats to never perform for us again if I did. So I'm the one who bore the brunt of the criticixm for not allowing Dylan to perform.  He loved the festival, shook my hand and said "I really dig your festival, man." Although I did wash my hand eventually (LOL) I'll never forget his words.  I eventually saw him live again when the Rolling Thunder concert came to Toronto and I was given tickets by Neil Young's brother Bob who was my client.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
28  Enoch    7 years ago

Top Twelve Ways To Get To Know Me.

1. I entered this world on my birthday.

2. I was not physically present for the event. I outsourced.

3. All during my childhood I grew up.

4. I plan to donate my body to science fiction, when the time is ripe.

5. I have not RECENTLY been convicted of first or third degree capitol offenses.

6. The finest thing I did in my life is marry Mrs. E.

7. The most fun I enjoyed in my days was and is being with my children (now adults) and grandchildren.

8. Just before parting the Sea of Reeds, Moses asked me if I felt up to walking across it at my age. I took the dare.

9. Professionally, I proudly served in the 10th Mountain Division out of Ft. Drum, NY. I worked my way up from entry level when I rotated back to civilian life to CEO of the firm. Upon retirement I went to Seminary. Earned three Rabbinical ordinations, and achieved a Doctor of Divinity. Have been a senior Rabbi. Am now a semi-retired Chaplain. 

10. I write original monographs mostly in the Religion and Ethics column here. By private notes, then private emails I am always available to anyone who needs and wishes pastoral care of any kind. I respect your values and approach to life. All communicated stays between us. My columns tend to identify universal human concerns. I encourage one and all to share their thoughts on the article topic. All I ask is that they remain on topic, don't disrespect anyone else, and be positive in how they express their ideas.  I like to co-author articles with other people here. It does the site good to see people of varying views can work together in peace, harmony and for the greater good. 

11. Over the years I enjoyed meeting in person very nice fellow News Viners and News Talkers. I continue to wish to do so. Never meet a fellow blogger I did not like.   

12. In my seventh decade in this plane of existence, I have more questions than answers. One thread ties together any and all good I did for others to date. Embrace humanity. Like people. Treat them as well as they allow you to do so. The world gets better one act of goodness, compassion, understanding, support and assistance at a time. If we all do that, it will add up over generations. Don't we all want our descendants to have it better than did we?

Great column My Good Friend Spikegary.

Next time we dine overlooking the Eire Canal, the first mule names Sal is on me.

Peace and Abundant Blessings to One and All.                        

Enoch.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
28.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Enoch @28    7 years ago

Enoch, my friend, it is always good to see you in print, better in person.  I look forward to our next dining experience.  I also want to really some strange, inexplicable and strangely calming events from the lake house this past weekend.....

To all that don't know it, Enoch is our unofficial official Chaplain here at NT, whether you are a believer, agnostic or atheist and regardless of religious preference......there is always a message to be found in Enoch's writings.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
28.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @28    7 years ago

Dear Friend and cherished writing partner Enoch, your list, even much of it said in fun, shows your true heart and openness and willingness to be one with others regardless of their own beliefs. We have engaged in many conversations regarding the many similarities of our people and their beliefs. It is my very great honor to count you as my Friend and Brother. (smile)

Enoch
Masters Quiet
28.3.1  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @28.3    7 years ago

Dear Friend, Treasured Writing Partner and Sister in Spirit Raven Wing: As our good friend Al-316 and I titled our Magnum Opus at the Newsvine, "We are all in this life together". 

Smiles and a warm hug of fellowship and solidarity.

E. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
28.3.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @28.3.1    7 years ago
We are all in this life together

Indeed we are, dear Enoch. We are all connected. (smile)

Big hugs

Krishna
Professor Expert
28.4  Krishna  replied to  Enoch @28    7 years ago
In my seventh decade in this plane of existence, I have more questions than answers

I believe there's a quote is the East (eastern Asia) that says a wise man is someone who realizes how much he doesn't know (or words that effect).

Krishna
Professor Expert
28.4.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @28.4    7 years ago
I believe there's a quote is the East (eastern Asia) that says a wise man is someone who realizes how much he doesn't know (or words that effect).

Just googled it and found this:

The wise man is one who, knows, what he does not know.”

―  Lao Tzu Tao Te Ching

Enoch
Masters Quiet
28.4.2  Enoch  replied to  Krishna @28.4.1    7 years ago

Dear Friend Krishna: That is a sagacious quotation.

Thank you for sharing it.

We are all indebted to you for all you do there and did at the Newsvine.

E.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
28.4.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @28.4.1    7 years ago

Applying that back in the days when I had to write exams, I would start out thinking I knew and understood the course, and after many hours of study, realized how much I DIDN'T know. Only then was I prepared to write the exam.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
29  Dowser    7 years ago

Leaving a comment so I can come back to this!  GREAT article!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
30  Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago
  1. I am an artist.
  2. I play the bass
  3. I have been married for 27 year to the same great guy. 
  4. I have identical twin daughters who are 23. 
  5. I am a true American Mutt. On mom's side of the family, I am English and Polish and on Dad's side of the family I am German, Indian (I belong to the Shinnacock tribe although actually I am really a Canarsie Indian), and Russian. 
  6. My great, granddad fought in the Civil war and every Berlin since has served in the armed forces. My dad was Navy. 
  7. My dad helped design the LEM (lunar module) and his name is on the moon. He went on to help design the F14 and the E2C.
  8. I am an independent, which means to the left i am right and to the right I am left, LOL. In no way do I fence sit. 
  9. I was a teacher for over 20 years in the worst school district in NYC. I taught 4th and 5th grade and then Biology and Earth Science
  10. I am a CPA (I hate it... but it pays the bills)
  11. I am dyslexic with auditory discrimination problems. I had wonderful teachers who helped me be who I am today
  12. I love history, especially American History.
  13. I am a huge Sci Fi fan. 
  14. Love Music.. all music
  15. Love to travel
  16. I have never lived on the mainland anywhere. I either lived in England or Long Island. I was born in Brooklyn and for non- NYers, that is still Long Island geographically. 
  17. I have a fur son, Wally. I love his little furry face. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
30.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @30    7 years ago

And may I add, she is a great Friend with a wonderful sense of humor. (smile)

We also have musical instrument and sports similarities. (grin)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
30.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @30.2    7 years ago

Yes we are Raven! And I do think that we are twin sisters from different mothers. :)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
30.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @30.2.1    7 years ago
And I do think that we are twin sisters from different mothers.

I do believe we are, Perrie. We even think a lot alike. chuckle

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
30.4  Iamak47  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @30    7 years ago

I play the bass

As a drummer, I can't resist bass player jokes....

This guy goes on vacation to a tropical island. As soon as he gets off the plane, he hears drums. He thinks "Wow, this is cool." He goes to the beach, he hears the drums, he eats lunch, he hears drums, he goes to a luau, he hears drums. He tries to go to sleep, yet he hears drums.

This goes on for several nights, and gets to the point where the guy can't sleep at night because of the drums. Finally, he goes down to the front desk.

When he gets there, he asks the manager, "Hey! What's with these drums. Don't they ever stop? I can't get any sleep."

The manager says, "No! Drums must never stop. It's very bad if drums stop."

"Why?"  He's asks

The manager, looking terrified, exclaims..........."BASS SOLO"

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
31  seeder  Spikegary    7 years ago

I truly hope that folks come here and comment on the spirit of the article.  I am enjoying reading about all of you!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
31.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Spikegary @31    7 years ago

Great article Gary! It really did help me get to know the new and old members. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
31.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @31.1    7 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie: Agreed.

It is articles like Spikegary's that bring us together, rather than splintering us apart.

Every community needs glue to hold it together.

This is that.

E.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
31.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @31.1.1    7 years ago

Indeed, dear Enoch. For me, the glue is the many things we learn that we have in common or similarities in our lives. It helps us to see each other as real people, not just names on a forum. It also often helps to explain why some of us feel the way we do about things, and why we are so passionate about some things. Thus, it opens the doors to better understanding of one another. (smile)

Just my opinion. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
31.1.3  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @31.1.2    7 years ago

Dear Friend Raven Wing: A good opinion it is.

Whatever promotes understanding tears down walls which separate us.

Only good comes from that.

E.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
32  Dowser    7 years ago

1.  I was born in Owensboro, KY, but now live in Louisville, KY.  I've also lived at Ft. Smith, AK, St. Louis, MO, Kansas City, KS, and spent a year in Indianapolis.  Glad to be home and hope to stay here!  My family has lived in KY since 1806.

2.  I graduated from Murray State University in 1977, with a degree in geology/earth science, (I qualified for both).  My son is there now.

3.  I married my husband 19 years ago, and we immediately had my son.  I was 43 years of age.  Then, 3 years later, I had a major heart attack and 5 by-passes.  I love my husband very much and we are happy together.  He had a daughter when we married, and she is married with a sweet baby!

4.  I have been a practicing hydrogeologist for 40 years, and recently retired.  I've had projects all over the US, but primarily east of the Mississippi river.  I loved the water industry and still do.  I always traveled a lot for my work, and have seen the well fields of most places where there is plenty of other things to see...  (I never saw any of them, because I was in the well field...)  My geology buddies were able to work in China, Norway, Venezuela, etc., and I went to Wheatland, IN.

5.  Of course, I have a rock/fossil/minerals collection.  I also collect antiques, many of which I inherited from my family, arrow heads, and all kinds of weird things.  I have a marble collection.  Yeah, that's weird.  Antique postcards.  Antique buttons.  Lots of flotsam and jetsam of life that means nothing to anyone but me...  Umbrella handles.  Finials from old lamps.  Books.  MUsical instruments, most of which I've tried to play.  Radiator caps...  

6.  I've always wanted to be artistic, but have no talent-- only enthusiasm.  Proven over and over and over again...  But, I have a good time with my messes!

7.  I rescue cats and dogs.  Right now, I have 5 cats, two of which have disabilities, but will always have a home with me.  2 dogs, both rescues.  They are all my sweeties!  

8.  I did a lot of volunteer work before my back went out.  I'm waiting for surgery, and then, hope to get  back in the volunteer groove.

9.  My family is the most important thing to me.  We are a camping family, and we take ALL the animals with us.  I love to cook in the camper, my adult size play house, but hate to cook at home. 

10. Next to my family, my friends are the most important thing to me.  

11.  I wrote a book that is online about KY's native plants and lawn care in KY.  I learned a LOT!  It is written as a geologist, who was curious about things, and then researched stuff to find out.  I am good at research.  Not so good at keeping plants alive.  I had an organic garden, but only got one tomato out of it.  I think the deer ate the rest, no matter what I did.  That, and some god-awful "Yerm" got into my squash and zucchini, so they died.  However, I have had snap dragons that lasted and bloomed until Christmas, so all is not lost.

12  I love gardening, but not these days.  Once I'm down, I'm down.  

13.  I was an only child, and have always been a Methodist, but am not an active member.  My church broke my heart, so it's hard to go in there...  All of my family is dead, I mean my childhood family, and I miss them very much!  I've spent most of my life dreading the phone call in the middle of the night.

14.  My great great grandmother was a Cherokee.  I have her quilts, that are left, and her rocker.  I wish I had met her!  and Wish I could talk to her...  I wish I could meet all the long dead ones, and tell them thank you for the lovely things they left me.  When I use their tools, I feel like they're blessed.  My other great-great grandmother made a gorgeous quilt that won 1st place at the state fair, and eventually toured Europe.  Needless to say, I didn't get to go.

15.  I never buy lottery tickets, or play games of chance.  I feel that we are born with only so much luck in this world, and I don't want to use mine up on something silly like money or a game.  I may need that luck to survive another heart attack.

16. I'm 5' tall, which is inconvenient most times, but it could be a lot worse.  I am actually one of the taller women of the family.

17. I love animals, children, (good children, not the monster children), my husband, flowers, clouds, trees, and most everything that is wild.  I'm not fond of bugs, but don't mind them that much.  (If you're a geologist, you can't have a creepy crawly things about bugs).  Not at all fond of snakes, (they scare me), but am getting better about it.

Still a work in progress!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
32.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Dowser @32    7 years ago

And I may add that my dear Sister of the heart Dowser is one of the nicest and sweetest people I know. Big hugs  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
32.1.1  Dowser  replied to  Raven Wing @32.1    7 years ago

Thank you!  I certainly feel the same way about you!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
32.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dowser @32.1.1    7 years ago

Luv ya Dowser~

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
32.1.3  Dowser  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @32.1.2    7 years ago

Love you, too!

I couldn't think of much...  But I did my best to come up with 17 things!

Krishna
Professor Expert
32.2  Krishna  replied to  Dowser @32    7 years ago
I also collect antiques, many of which I inherited from my family, arrow heads, and all kinds of weird things.  I have a marble collection.  Yeah, that's weird.  Antique postcards.  Antique buttons.  Lots of flotsam and jetsam of life that means nothing to anyone but me...  Umbrella handles.  Finials from old lamps.  Books.  MUsical instruments, most of which I've tried to play.  Radiator caps...

I remember that from time to time you've posted articles here (with pictures) of some of the things you've collected-- some fascinating stuff!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
32.2.1  Dowser  replied to  Krishna @32.2    7 years ago

Yep.  I have some items that are so weird, I'm not sure what they are...  I think I have a curds and whey separator, I think.  It's a square scoop with a divider in it.  Like I know!  Never made curds, now that I think about it...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
32.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @32.2    7 years ago

I've said the same, but still waiting to see photos of the antique cameras.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
32.2.3  Dowser  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @32.2.2    7 years ago

Wish I could find them to photograph them....  winking

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
32.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dowser @32.2.3    7 years ago

I know you're storing lots of antiques and vintage items inherited from your ancestors, but if you have SO MANY that you can't find the cameras, I'm very jealous.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
32.3  Enoch  replied to  Dowser @32    7 years ago

Dear Friend Dowser: May you and yours be around a very long time to culminate your process.

You are a true blessing to this site.

Much love to you and yours.

E.  

Lebowsky
Freshman Silent
32.3.1  Lebowsky  replied to  Enoch @32.3    7 years ago

Boo :o)

Had to say hello to an old friend. You're still kickin, I'm still kickin so that's good. Continue to be well my friend!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
32.3.2  Enoch  replied to  Lebowsky @32.3.1    7 years ago

Dear Friend Lebowsky: Seeing you here just made my whole week!

What a wonderful gift, to be in touch again with someone of your stature, wisdom, humanity and grace.

Welcome to this site, if new.

Whatever the situation, you are most warmly welcome.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

Enoch.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
32.3.3  Dowser  replied to  Enoch @32.3    7 years ago

Much love to you, too, dear Enoch!  Always and forever!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
32.3.4  Dowser  replied to  Lebowsky @32.3.1    7 years ago

I am so glad to see you here!!! 

((((((((((((Lebowsky))))))))))))

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
32.4  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Dowser @32    7 years ago

The cool thing about being short?  You can fit into small sports cars!  Well, it'd be a silver lining for me.......thanks for gracing my article with your presence.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
32.4.1  Dowser  replied to  Spikegary @32.4    7 years ago

Bless your heart!  I had to lie down for a bit, but told you I'd be back!  MUCH love to you, dear Spike!

Yes, I fit into sports cars, but they put the gas pedal and brake so far forward, I can't reach them.  Even with the seat all the way up, and steering wheel imbedded in my chest, my tiptoes don't reach the pedals.  So, that's a wash...  On the good side, I rarely have to duck beneath trees.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
32.4.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Spikegary @32.4    7 years ago

But you can't see over the steering wheel!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
32.4.3  Dowser  replied to  sandy-2021492 @32.4.2    7 years ago

I sit on two cushions...  For a long time, I was restricted to using a cushion!  FINALLY got that cleared up!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
32.4.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dowser @32.4.3    7 years ago

Laugh

Enoch
Masters Quiet
32.4.5  Enoch  replied to  Spikegary @32.4    7 years ago

Dear Friend Spikegary: Another advantage to being short.

You are the last one standing next to a basketball team to get wet when it rains.

Enoch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
32.4.6  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @32.4.5    7 years ago

No short jokes or I'll bite someone.

IMG_0799.JPG

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
32.4.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @32.4.6    7 years ago

Get'em Wiki!  (grin)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
32.4.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Enoch @32.4.5    7 years ago
Another advantage to being short.

You seldom have to duck to avoid hitting your head.

If you're a baseball or softball player, you draw a lot of walks, because nobody can hit your strike zone.

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
32.4.9  John Galt 1147  replied to  Kavika @32.4.6    7 years ago

No short jokes or I'll bite someone .

Yeah me too, I'm with you. No fear. 
DLaZxZeX0AA2Kk_.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
32.4.10  Kavika   replied to  John Galt 1147 @32.4.9    7 years ago

LOL, that is one rough, tough, dangerous dog.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
32.4.11  Raven Wing  replied to  John Galt 1147 @32.4.9    7 years ago

BOO!!!  How adorable! I love the little puppy and kitten faces. Their eyes are so innocent and inquisitive. (smile)

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
32.4.12  John Galt 1147  replied to  Raven Wing @32.4.11    7 years ago
BOO!!!  How adorable! I love the little puppy and kitten faces. Their eyes are so innocent and inquisitive. (smile)

Boo back RW. The pup came from twitter. I joined a few weeks ago and one of the followers is a pet site. I get a large dose of cuteness every day from there. 😊

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
32.4.13  John Galt 1147  replied to  Dowser @32.4.3    7 years ago

I remember a time when a certain 'hick' in NY had to use a briefcase to see over the steering wheel in that very large boat  rental car. winking

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
32.4.14  Dowser  replied to  John Galt 1147 @32.4.13    7 years ago

Yep, that was me!  That car was like driving a destroyer!  I'm just so glad I didn't hit anything...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
32.5  Nowhere Man  replied to  Dowser @32    7 years ago

We are all a work in progress sis, just some have progressed more than others..... (I wonder sometimes if that isn't what a progressive really is, we would all qualify in that case)

You bring to this place an innate honesty that is missing in most places today....

And when absent you are missed....

Much love sis much love.... Big hugs

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
32.5.1  Dowser  replied to  Nowhere Man @32.5    7 years ago

Much love to you, too, dear friend!  I can't be anything other than honest, because I'm not smart enough to keep up with a bunch of lies...  winking

(((((((((((((Nowhere Man))))))))))))))))

Al-316
Professor Silent
32.6  Al-316  replied to  Dowser @32    7 years ago

Dowser, your listing is very impressive and at first glance looks complete, but omitted is a personality trait which you possess and I very much admire.

You have a finely developed inner strength laced with self-confidence and problem solving skills. These traits were displayed during your rubber boat exploits on the lakes. Those stories were so interesting.

I remember establishing a brother/sister bond with you at the time and the bond continues.

Al

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
32.6.1  Dowser  replied to  Al-316 @32.6    7 years ago

Dear Al, I feel the same way!

Big hugs

Ballew74
Freshman Silent
33  Ballew74    7 years ago

10) Born in Indianapolis, Indiana lived here for most of my 43 years.

9) Married for 23 year 2 boys (18 and 16) and a girl (21) and grandson (1 1/2)

8) Was in the U.S. Army/National Guard for 16 years. Wish I would have stuck it out. But got out because of personal reasons.

7) Was on Newsvine for a hot minute.

6) Am an avid Comic Book Fan. Love the stories and the heroes/villians

5) Recently got back into working out and taking care of this old body.

4) Have 3 cats and a good old dog. We are currently taking care of a puppy which I am sure will be the newest member of our family.

3) One of our cats is named OZ. He is the litter mate of Vice President Pence's new kitten Hazel. My son dubbed him Americas Cat and it stuck. We adapted him the day after the Second Lady adopted Hazel. I know the Vice President isn't everyone's favorite guy but I thought it was kind of neat. 

2) I'm also a pretty avid gamer which I'm sure the combo of Gamer/Comic book fan makes me nerd. I can deal with that.

1) I worked my way up from literally the shittiest position in my company to being a supervisor. I'm pretty proud of this because there was a point after I got out of the military were things were really dark and I could have easily given up. But I kept plugging away to better myself and never gave up on myself or my work ethic. So far it has payed off for me after years of struggle. I am not rich by any means but I am happy now.

That"s my story. Hope I didn't bore anyone too much..

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
33.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Ballew74 @33    7 years ago

Welcome to NT Ballew! Thank you for sharing your great story with us. And thank you for your service. (smile)

Krishna
Professor Expert
33.2  Krishna  replied to  Ballew74 @33    7 years ago

Are you the Ballew that I knew on NV? (A friend of jfxgillis amongst others during a certain-- "controversial incident" :-)

If so, that was many years ago!

I believe you hadn't been active there for a very long time-- how did you find out about NT?

Enoch
Masters Quiet
33.3  Enoch  replied to  Ballew74 @33    7 years ago

Dear Friend Ballew 74: Thank you for your service.

Welcome to your new blog home.

Peace and Abundant Blessings to You and Yours.

Enoch.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
33.4  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Ballew74 @33    7 years ago

Hey Rob, good to see you over here!  I enjoy our interactions on the other site.  I hope to hook up next time I go to Indy, since we missed each other last summer.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
34  Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago

May not hit 10 but here goes:

1.  Grew up just outside of Pittsburgh.  

2.  Recently retired after 26 years active duty military.

3.  Deployed seven times for both humanitarian and combat missions.

4.  Married w/ 3 kids (1 in college, 2 in high school)

5.  2 Pets (3 year old Lab and 1 year old cat)

6.  Like most styles of music (A LOT of metal (some makes Metallica sound like One Direction))

7.  As some coming from NV know, I fully acknowledge I am abrasive and stubborn.

8.  I have zero patience for whining and the "PC Police".

9.  I love horror movies.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
34.1  Enoch  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @34    7 years ago

Dear Friend Jeremy:  We are as grateful to you for your service, as for all the good things you contribute to this site.

If you are into horror movies, I can lend you some home movies of my family over the years.

Real Halloween fare.

Smiles.

Enoch.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
34.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Enoch @34.1    7 years ago

Nobody's family could be that bad.  What you see as a horror, somebody else could see as comedy.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
34.1.2  Enoch  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @34.1.1    7 years ago

Dear Friend Jeremy:  Agreed.

Those who saw family movies about Thanksgiving Dinners refer to them as "Slasher Films".

E.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
34.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Enoch @34.1.2    7 years ago

Ok.  I probably shouldn't be laughing at that (and I'm sorry), but I have to admit that the mental picture I now have is somebody just going at the turkey like a banshee with a carving knife.  All the while blabbering like the Tasmanian Devil from the old Bugs Bunny cartoon.  

Enoch
Masters Quiet
34.1.4  Enoch  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @34.1.3    7 years ago

Me too.

Its not only OK to laugh.

Laughter is among the best of things life has to offer.

Thanks, dear friend.

E.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
34.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Enoch @34.1.4    7 years ago

I do apologize.  I tend to see the humor in virtually everything.  Helps me keep my sanity.

My avatar is me.  The picture was taken after a jump with the 82nd Airborne on Luzon DZ after a 15 month deployment.  Even with a stick the size of an ink pen in my face I still have a smile on my face.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
35  sandy-2021492    7 years ago

1.  Born and raised in West Virginia.

2.  I'm a dentist.

3.  I am the oldest of 3 kids, and my extended family is huge.  My dad was one of 10 siblings, and my mom 1 of 8 who survived to adulthood.  If you've seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", do you remember when the main character says she has 20 first cousins?  Yeah, big deal.  I have over 20 just on my mom's side.

4. I have a 13-year-old son, but I'll survive.

5. I played softball for years, until a popup that deflected off of another player's glove and into my face informed me that my reflexes ain't what they used to be.  I was 41.  I still think about taking it back up.

6.  I have a dog named Casey (Rottweiler/doxie mix) and a cat (my avatar) named Flower.  Both are rescues, as all of my pets have been.

7.  I love to read, just about any genre except mysteries.  I usually have 2 or 3 books laying in different areas of the house at the same time - one on my nightstand, one in the living room, one on my exercise bike, and one near the bathtub for long soaks.  I prefer paper books to ebooks, but I buy both.

8.  I am a night owl, from a long line of night owls.  My family has late-night Facebook reunions.

9.  I'm 5 feet tall, and have to have my clothes hemmed even when I buy them in the Petites' section.  Sucks.  The first organized sport I played was basketball.  Probably not my best pick.

10.  I have one blue eye, and one half blue and half brown.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
35.1  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @35    7 years ago

Hi Sandy! Thank you for sharing your story with us.

"I have one blue eye, and one half blue and half brown."

The Blue/Brown eye sounds beautiful! (smile)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
35.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @35.1    7 years ago

Thank you!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
35.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @35.1.1    7 years ago

I'm a night owl from a long line of night owls, too. 

I'm sure you might have noticed. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
35.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @35.1.2    7 years ago

I might have ;)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
35.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @35.1.2    7 years ago

Same here....that is when I can get most of my best work done. The phone is quiet and I can clear my mind and concentrate on the things that require me to focus. Most of my graphic work and beta testing that requires deep concentration is done during the late hours for that reason. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
35.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  sandy-2021492 @35    7 years ago

I wonder which breed was the male and which was the female making that puppy....if the male was the Doxie, I applaud his Moxie!

Thanks for coming by and hope you enjoy NT.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
35.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Spikegary @35.2    7 years ago

I'm told the mom was the Rottweiler, and I'm glad, cuz I can't imagine what carrying and delivering half-Rottie pups would do to a doxie mama.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
35.3  Dowser  replied to  sandy-2021492 @35    7 years ago

Boy, do I understand about having to hem stuff!  Nothing like putting on a pair of slacks, and having 1' of pants dragging behind you.  UGH.  Or buying something that is supposed to be mid-calf, that brushes the top of your shoes!!!

(((((((((((Sandy))))))))))))

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
35.3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dowser @35.3    7 years ago
Or buying something that is supposed to be mid-calf, that brushes the top of your shoes!!!

Yup.  Capri pants just look unintentionally high-water.

Almost all of the upper cabinets in my kitchen are empty, because I get sick of schlepping a stepstool around.

((((Dowser))))

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
35.3.2  Dowser  replied to  sandy-2021492 @35.3.1    7 years ago

I put serving pieces up on my top shelf-- you know, stuff you never use.  Short people understand the precariousness of life, because we're always having to climb on something to reach the top shelf!  winking

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
35.3.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dowser @35.3.2    7 years ago

I've climbed more grocery store shelves than I care to admit.  It's going to lead to disaster someday.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
35.3.4  Dowser  replied to  sandy-2021492 @35.3.3    7 years ago

I hate it when they put the 50 lb kitty litter packages on the top shelf.  Who shops?  Women.  Who has to try to get it down the cliff of a grocery store aisle?  Women.  Since I can't reach, I have to tease it off the shelf and hope to catch it on its way down.  YEP, there is going to be a disaster someday!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
35.3.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dowser @35.3.4    7 years ago

I've teased a few glass jars off of high shelves at grocery stores, too.  Whose idea was it to put them there?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
35.3.6  Dowser  replied to  sandy-2021492 @35.3.5    7 years ago

My question to the manager:  What bonehead thought that putting that on the top shelf was a good idea?

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
36  Account Deleted    7 years ago

Science Fiction fan - big shock - right.

Tend to disappear for several days at a time to do research on posting topics - so I'm a bit data driven.

Have a tendency to post comments with out  hitting the socially approved [snark] key so I occasionally must suffer the slings an arrows of friendly fire.

I can usually be counted on to write a drinking song for St. Patrick's Day - though I don't drink.

My online upbringing was in the rough and tumble days of MSNBC - before Newsvine. My alter ego - Comrade Adam emerged just to frustrate trolls. "Sigh .. is not good time to be Russian. Of course, comrade, is never good time to be Russian."

Newsvine was OK but Newsvine is 404.

Long live  NewsTalkers!

I'm here to learn the language, the customs, and assimilate.

Adam_Selene

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
36.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Account Deleted @36    7 years ago

Welcome to our little Universe, Adam.  I hope you enjoy it, a bit more intimate than those previous ones you mentioned.  I've been watching the new Sci-Fi-Comedy 'The Orville'.  I like the dry humor.....I hope it picks up a bit and they keep it around for a little....I still miss Firefly.

Al-316
Professor Silent
37  Al-316    7 years ago

Now it is my turn, but after reading all of the comments posted so far I am pooped and will return later to participate.

Spikegary, this is an amazingly good idea. So many interesting and good folks here.

Later.

Al

Al-316
Professor Silent
38  Al-316    7 years ago

I am a private person, so I don't feel totally comfortable sharing things about myself but I will tell you about the last forty years of my life beginning on June 18, 1977. That was the day I married my wife and the day my happiness began. This is a love story.

I was at work one day with my best friend, Ed, at a client's office and I had just told him that I was tired of dating girls and that it was a waste of time. I just could not find anyone that I wanted and I was giving up. Ed suggested that I should give it one more try and ask out Tricia, one of the girls who worked in the client's office.

Ed said that Tricia always made unnecessary visits to the conference room where we did our work to talk to me. Dumb me never noticed because we worked for a CPA firm which billed by the hour and required us to account for every minute of our time or we would be in big trouble. I was all business when I went to client's offices and never paid any attention to anything but the work at hand.

At the end of work that day I went to Tricia's desk to ask her if she wanted to go to an Eagles concert with me and noticed for the first time how beautiful she was. She said yes. While talking with her something was happening to me which caused me to ask her if she wanted to have dinner she got off work. She said yes again.

Over dinner I found out that she was beautiful on the inside, too. She was intelligent, ambitious, generous, patient, sweet, and most important of all; she liked me. I liked her, too.

We became almost inseparable. It was like we were made for each other. It was fun just being with her regardless of what we were doing or what was happening around us.

(I am running out of steam here. It is late, I am tired and will continue after some sleep. Nighty night.)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
39  Raven Wing    7 years ago

Great first part, Al. A true love story indeed. Sometimes the best things are right in front of us and we just don't see them in our very busy life. 

Looking forward to the rest of this sweet story. (smile)

Al-316
Professor Silent
40  Al-316    7 years ago

(Part 2)

Communication between us was easy. I liked to talk and she liked to listen. I told her things about myself which she should know because I was about to pop a big question to her: I was thirty-three years old, had two daughters (6 and 8), and I had had a vasectomy. (Isn't there is at least one reason here for a beautiful nineteen year old to reject a marriage proposal?)

The only snooping I did was when I had the chance, I peeked at her check book and found that she lived from pay check to pay check like most people do. Each payday she paid her bills and then bought gifts for her friends with the money that remained. That information told me she was responsible and generous. Now there was nothing else I needed to know so I asked Tricia to marry me. Knowing that this was an important decision on her part, I told her to take her time and I would be patient.

Well I am not a patient kind of guy, so I asked her again about five minutes later. She smiled and said "Yes".

That is when Tricia and I really started making plans. One of the first things I wanted to do was tell her parents. I had met them before so we were not strangers.

After work one evening Tricia and I went over to tell her parents that we loved each other and were getting married. They did not take it well. Tricia's dad did not say a word, he just stood up and walked out of the room. Tricia's mom took it better, she just cried and cried and cried. You can tell from our wedding pictures that they were not overcome with joy. In fact, I think it took about twenty years for them to like me. But that did not bother either Tricia or me because we were so happy together. Tricia's mom called me "Art" for the first twenty years. When she started calling me "Al" I knew I was finally a part of their family. We are all close now, but it took a while.

This is where I should tell you that Tricia was an angel. My daughters did not want a new mother nor did they want to share me with anyone else. My youngest expressed it very clearly when she told Tricia, "If I had a gun, I would shoot you." I think it took my girls about twenty years for them to see and appreciate how wonderful Tricia was. Everything I loved, Tricia loved and she showed it in everyway possible. I tried do show her the same.

(I am pooping out again. Be back later with more)

Enoch
Masters Quiet
40.1  Enoch  replied to  Al-316 @40    7 years ago

Dear Friend Al-316: Neither of us were ever President.

We were both blessed to have a First Lady.

May the pristine memory of your life with your beloved Tricia remain an ever bright eternal flame of love.

May this comfort you.

May it inspire you to continue to be in the lives of others what she was in your and the life of all she touched in her time.

Your Good Friend Enoch.

Al-316
Professor Silent
40.1.1  Al-316  replied to  Enoch @40.1    7 years ago

Thank you.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
40.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Al-316 @40    7 years ago

You got me hooked - looking forward to the next episode. LOL

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
40.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Al-316 @40    7 years ago

Thank you for posting your story. I'm looking forward to reading the next chapter. 

Al-316
Professor Silent
41  Al-316    7 years ago

The only problem we had which I remember involved hurting each others feelings. It sounds petty but it is not. My nature is to deal any problem immediately when it is fresh. Tricia's nature was to let it go. We compromised by establishing a weekly routine whereby every Sunday night as we lay in bed before falling asleep, each of us was required to present to the other a single grievance which had occurred during the past week. Our Sunday talks only lasted for about six months because we ran out of complaints. I can remember being surprised that some of the things which I did which irked Tricia were just habits which I had picked up and were so easy to alter.

Our love was based on respect and trust. I am not sure what I gave to Tricia, but she gave me confidence in myself. She made me feel smart, nice, handsome, competent, popular; when I was none of those things. But having her by my side I became all of those things (except for handsome) and more.

I eventually passed the CPA exam and she became a legal secretary. When I started my own CPA firm, Tricia became my first (and only) employee. We worked well together. She was my Director of Administration and Technical Support. In other words, I dealt with the clients and their needs, while Tricia did everything else. She made me look good. She already looked good.

We worked hard, we worked long hours, and we worked well together. We became successful. Tricia and I thrived being together.

When it came time to retire, we retired together and then devoted ourselves full time to raising our granddaughter. As time passed, our household increased with the addition of a great granddaughter.

On December 8, 2016, Tricia died in her sleep. We are still married and still in love.

Those of you who know me are probably wondering why I haven't mentioned G-d in this story. That is because this is actually G-d's story about two of His children.

NFM  Tricia.jpg NFM  Tricia  Al 1977.jpg

Enoch
Masters Quiet
41.1  Enoch  replied to  Al-316 @41    7 years ago

Dear Friend Al-316: You and Tricia did it right.

Role models for us all.

E.

Al-316
Professor Silent
41.1.1  Al-316  replied to  Enoch @41.1    7 years ago

Thanks for your kind words, Enoch, my kind friend.

Role models? I am not so sure.

Happy? Of that I am sure.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
41.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Al-316 @41    7 years ago

That was...wow. Funny and sad and happy and lovely. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Al-316
Professor Silent
41.2.1  Al-316  replied to  sandy-2021492 @41.2    7 years ago

Hi Sandy. Life is only what you make of it.

Thank you for reading my story.

Al

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
41.3  Nowhere Man  replied to  Al-316 @41    7 years ago

I'm sad for your loss my friend and overjoyed that you found you true love. Life is a mystery my friend but it is a joy when you have a soulmate for a partner....

Our ladies make the man it is said, and I can only agree. What would we be without their 100% support....

Peace brother.....

NWM

Al-316
Professor Silent
41.3.1  Al-316  replied to  Nowhere Man @41.3    7 years ago

As it is said in the Bible, we became one flesh. And it was wonderful.

Thank you for your wise words.

Al

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
41.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Al-316 @41    7 years ago

A truly wonderful and inspirational story, Al. I am so sorry that Tricia has now walked on, I know the emptiness and pain of one together for so long and sharing everything together in life who filled your life with such joy and happiness will not be easy to put aside any time soon.

My Parents were only children and married in their teens just before WWII. They pretty much grew into their adult life together and faced many hardships together. They celebrated their 62nd wedding anniversary on month before my Mother suddenly walked on. My Father was devastated and found it hard to find a reason to live on. I know his pain, his sorrow, his emptiness and faltering will to live without my Mother. But, his love of his family and ours for him helped him live on for a few more years. 

We are all connected, and that connection is not broken when one walks on. (smile) 

Al-316
Professor Silent
41.4.1  Al-316  replied to  Raven Wing @41.4    7 years ago

When I read your story earlier on this thread, I felt for your losses which you have experienced. I did not comment because of a time constraint, but I thought about how difficult life has been for you and marveled at your strength.

When Tricia and I talked about death it was always assumed that I would be the first to go or that we would go together. Now that she is gone, I am glad I did not go first. I would not want her to go through the pain which I have experienced. I am not sure she could have handled it.

Yes, we are all connected. Thank you for reading my story, Raven Wing.

Al 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
41.4.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Al-316 @41.4.1    7 years ago
Yes, we are all connected. Thank you for reading my story, Raven Wing

Thank you for your very kind words, Al. I am sure that Tricia is still with you in Spirit and heart. It is those who are left behind that suffer the loss the most, as they are no longer visible to us with the flesh and blood. But, they are always with us in Spirit, and in the many wonderful that were shared together. It is these things that bring us comfort when they are no longer before our eyes. (smile)

Al-316
Professor Silent
41.4.3  Al-316  replied to  Raven Wing @41.4.2    7 years ago

Raven Wing, the sweetness of your soul always shines through.

Thank you.

Al

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
41.4.4  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Raven Wing @41.4    7 years ago

RW,

My parents 62 anniversary is October 23rd.  My dad passed last month.  Though he is still with us everyday.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
41.4.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Spikegary @41.4.4    7 years ago

I am truly sorry for the loss of your beloved Father, Spikegary. Even though we know that one day it will happen, it is never something we can really prepare ourselves for. Losing a Parent/Parents is losing a part of who we are, as they have given us life and guided us through our lives into the person we eventually become. Yet, the oneness can never be broken, and they continue to guide us even in the Spirit life. Your parents had a long and happy life together, and your Father left many happy memories behind to comfort you when he is no longer by your side in the flesh, but, he is always with you in Spirit. (smile)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
41.4.6  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Raven Wing @41.4.5    7 years ago

Thank you, Raven Wing,  I was on the way to work this morning and realized that tomorrow will be one month since he's been gone.  I almost had to pull off the road to gather my emotions back up.  I feel for others that have lost far more than I have-and the pain that lingers.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
41.4.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Spikegary @41.4.6    7 years ago

Indeed it is a pain that we never really get over, there just comes a time of acceptance and find peace and comfort in those we still have with us. When my only sibling walked on in June of 2013 I suddenly realized that I was the last of my immediate family still alive. I suddenly felt very lonely. If it had not been for my Granddaughter, the only other living relative I have, it would have been much harder for me to move on with my life. I just could not leave her all alone. So we look out for each other and she gives meaning to my life. Those who have gone before me are still with me in Spirit, and gives me comfort. (smile)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
41.4.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @41.4.7    7 years ago

(((Raven Wing)))

And (((gary)))

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
41.4.9  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Raven Wing @41.4.7    7 years ago

I talk to my mom, more often now than before (which was quite regularly).  She and her brother are the very last of that generation.  He lives in Loveland, Colorado, so seeing each other is an issue.  In New York, she is alone, with the exception of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.  I'll be calling her later today......

Enoch
Masters Quiet
41.4.10  Enoch  replied to  Spikegary @41.4.9    7 years ago

Dear Friend Spikegary: Seems you have this under control.

I am always here for you, as wanted and needed.

Particularly when time hangs heavy and you need company.

E.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
41.4.11  Raven Wing  replied to  Spikegary @41.4.9    7 years ago

I was living in No Virginia at the time my Mother walked on in So Calif. I called her everyday while I was away. Sh never told me that she was ill. My Father was unable to talk on the phone due to his sever hearing loss, and even the amplified phone they gave him was not much help, so I communicated with him through my Mother. 

I had just talked to my Mother on a Monday and she sounded very tired and said she needed to take a nap, so our conversation was short. I told her every day that I loved her and missed her and my Father very much. The next morning I got a call from the lady next door to them that helped them now and then that my Mother had walked on. I was shocked.....as I had no clue that she had been so ill. I flew back for her funeral and my Father was devastated. He was so lost, and he didn't know where to begin to get things together. I knew I had to move back to take care of him. I knew him better than anyone else, and as His Daughter, I was not going to let him be alone and dependent on someone else to look after him and walk on alone. 

I am so glad that I told my Mother every day I talked to her that I loved and missed her, as when she walked on she knew how much I loved her. When my Father walked on only two years later. While I miss him I know that is what he really wanted, to be with the person he loved most, and knowing that they are together again is a great comfort to me. 

Al-316
Professor Silent
41.4.12  Al-316  replied to  Raven Wing @41.4.11    7 years ago

Raven Wing, I am a person who considers hugging as a form of communication. I would like to be near you right now because you need and deserve a hug. Maybe a long string of hugs. lol

Al

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
41.4.13  Raven Wing  replied to  Al-316 @41.4.12    7 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind words and cyber hugs and warm support, dear Al. I would be most happy to have your hugs. thumbs up

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
41.4.14  John Galt 1147  replied to  Al-316 @41.4.12    7 years ago
Raven Wing, I am a person who considers hugging as a form of communication.

Al so am I. I find this works for me across the miles. I use it a lot. winking  Thank you for your gift Al. Hugs to you and Raven Wing. 
po80i2k8co6ghc.jpg

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
41.4.15  Raven Wing  replied to  John Galt 1147 @41.4.14    7 years ago
Hugs to you and Raven Wing.

Thank you for the hug, John. Like you and Al, I consider hugging a means of communication, and it can express many different feelings. I am by nature a hugger, and I am a big tree hugger as well. (smile)

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
41.4.16  John Galt 1147  replied to  Raven Wing @41.4.15    7 years ago
Thank you for the hug, John. Like you and Al, I consider hugging a means of communication, and it can express many different feelings. I am by nature a hugger, and I am a big tree hugger as well. (smile)

I also try to include a warm heart when I type hugs Raven Wing like this.(((((((❤💕 Al-316 and Raven Wing 💕❤)))))))  

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
41.4.17  Raven Wing  replied to  John Galt 1147 @41.4.16    7 years ago

Thank you John. (smile)

th7.jpg

Al-316
Professor Silent
41.4.18  Al-316  replied to  John Galt 1147 @41.4.14    7 years ago

Hello, John. It is always nice to see you.

Hope that you have been well.

Al

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
41.4.19  John Galt 1147  replied to  Al-316 @41.4.18    7 years ago
Hello, John. It is always nice to see you.

Nice to see you too Al. Guess who I have been in contact with.. Keith, Tony Williams. Still have to get back to them. 

And JS is now a member of Minds. There is a search party out looking for CB. Tin Can is on YT. 

Al-316
Professor Silent
41.4.20  Al-316  replied to  John Galt 1147 @41.4.19    7 years ago

John, those names bring back many memories and good times.

Hope they are all doing well. And yourself, of course.

Al

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
41.5  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Al-316 @41    7 years ago

Al,

Thank you for coming here and telling us the story of You (which includes your lovely wife).  Love endures, my friend, love endures.

Gary

Al-316
Professor Silent
41.5.1  Al-316  replied to  Spikegary @41.5    7 years ago

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to tell my story.

We all have stories which need to be told.

Thanks again, my friend.

Al

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
41.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Al-316 @41    7 years ago

That isn't just a story, Al, it should be a movie.

Al-316
Professor Silent
41.6.1  Al-316  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @41.6    7 years ago

Right, Buzz.

I wonder if the movie should include the trip when Tricia and I drove from Virginia to California and back with her parents in 1982? There were several memorable events.

One of them was when we had just stopped at the great Salt Lake in Utah on our return drive to Virginia. Anyone who has been there knows the smell is fairly raunchy. As we drove off, I suddenly had a severe gas attack. Since I had still not received full membership in the family yet, I was not sure how to handle it. It was very hot, the air conditioner was on full blast, and Tricia's parents were in the back seat.

I decided that I should take advantage of the foul air already generated by the lake. So I did. Well, Tricia's mom immediately noticed the change in air quality, started breathing through a tissue, and asked that the air conditioner fan be turned up, thinking the problem was coming from outside. She vowed never to return to Salt Lake because the smell was intolerable. Later I told Tricia what I did, but never told her parents. I wanted to improve my standing in the family, not destroy it.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
41.6.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Al-316 @41.6.1    7 years ago

Absolutely. Every embarrassing moment, especially when well handled as you did.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
42  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Ten Things:

Born in Canada in 1937 and will never give up my Canadian citizenship.

Bachelor of Arts majoring in English Literature.

Editor in Chief of my university newspaper.

Was very involved with folk music in the 60s and 70s.

Bachelor of Laws, practised law for 37 years in Toronto, appointed Queen's Counsel.

Now living in China for more than 11 years. I am NOT a Communist.

Married a beautiful Chinese woman 8 years ago - see my avatar.

Love old movies - administer Classic Cinema group here as I did on NV.

My hobby is photography and I have posted many photo essays and photo challenges on NT.

I support Israel's right to all of the lands they occupy, based on history and legal mandate.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
42.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @42    7 years ago

Hi Buzz, was hoping you'd stop by!  I do enjoy seeing China through your eyes and hope you will continue to familiarize us with a part of the world few of us will ever be able to travel to.

Al-316
Professor Silent
42.2  Al-316  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @42    7 years ago

I am glad that you are a part of our family here as well as a friend. lol

Al

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
42.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Al-316 @42.2    7 years ago

That is a supreme compliment. Thank you.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
43  Galen Marvin Ross    7 years ago

Just a couple of things here.

the name I use on here is my real name.

I now live in Michigan, I might move back to Colorado next year gotta think on that and, see what this administration does.

I'm politically active, in my old age, never thought I would be but, too much is happening now to just sit by.

It's good to see some of my Newsvine friends here.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
43.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @43    7 years ago

Welcome, Galen. Da' U.P. or lower Michigan?  What does this administration have to do with where you move to?  My uncle lives in Loveland and my brother and his wife plan on retiring in Colorado in the not so distant future.  I think they are looking in 'Evergreen'.

I hope you enjoy NT.  It's a bit more intimate.

Queenie of the Castle
Freshman Silent
44  Queenie of the Castle    7 years ago

I'm not certain if I can come up with 10 things about me, but I'll give you what I can.

1.  I was born and raised in the middle of nowhere in NW PA. 

2.  I am the office manager for a division of one of the largest hardwood lumber manufacturers in the US and have worked in the lumber industry my entire life.  I'm third generation actually.

3.  I am divorced.

4.  I am the mother of two sons - 24 and 16.  Sadly, I haven't spoken to my youngest son in over 5 years. His father has turned him against me.

5.  I was a victim of domestic violence for 6 1/2 years - now I am a domestic violence survivor

6.  I am in a loving, committed relationship with the man of my dreams.  It takes someone special who would remember me after one brief meeting 6 years prior.

7.  I have two fur kids - Bella, my German Shorthair Pointer; and Jewel, my long hair domestic tortoise shell cat

8.  I'm not the best at articulating myself in writing or words.  I know what I want to say, but sometimes it gets jumbled from my brain to my fingers.

9.  I don't discuss politics or religion with friends - it creates enemies.

10.  I am deeply intiutive to other people and their feelings.

11.  I AM THE QUEEN.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
44.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Queenie of the Castle @44    7 years ago
"I'm not certain if I can come up with 10 things about me" - Of course you can.
"I AM THE QUEEN."  Of course you are.
Thank you gracing us with your presence on my article.
And it is great to see you here!  One of the longtime friends from NV.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
44.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Queenie of the Castle @44    7 years ago
Sadly, I haven't spoken to my youngest son in over 5 years. His father has turned him against me.

That's a tough thing to go through.  Hopefully, he'll see the light.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
44.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Queenie of the Castle @44    7 years ago
Sadly, I haven't spoken to my youngest son in over 5 years. His father has turned him against me.

My Cousins ex-wife did the same thing with their youngest child. It is truly a tragedy when a parent does something like that to a child.

Hopefully, one day your Son will come to realize that he has been wrongly used by his Father and want to renew his relationship with you. IMHO, any parent turning a child against their other parent is a terrible form of child abuse.  

Praying for the best for you both you and your Son. 

Al-316
Professor Silent
44.4  Al-316  replied to  Queenie of the Castle @44    7 years ago

Greetings, your Highness.

As one of the local peons, I welcome you.

If I may, your Majesty, your personal life is none of my business, so this is not advice, especially to a Queen. This humble servant is just thinking out loud.

Some kids get confused and have a way of turning absence and silence into abandonment.

Oops, I have said too much, my Grace. Please forgive me.

Al

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
44.4.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Al-316 @44.4    7 years ago

I go through this with my youngest step child.......5 years and we are finally starting to have a dialogue between us....sigh.  5 years of life wasted.

Al-316
Professor Silent
44.4.2  Al-316  replied to  Spikegary @44.4.1    7 years ago

I have a half sister who is ten years older than me. We have the same father, who died 67 years ago. She was, and still is, so mad at him thinking he abandoned her, she now directs that anger at me. No matter what I say, the anger continues.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
44.4.3  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Al-316 @44.4.2    7 years ago

That's sad to hear, Al.  Harboring all that anger has to tear apart someone's insides.....and to do it for a lifetime is unthinkable.  I hope she is able to see the light at some point.

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
44.5  John Galt 1147  replied to  Queenie of the Castle @44    7 years ago
Sadly, I haven't spoken to my youngest son in over 5 years.

Never lose faith that he may seek you out as he grows older and meets others that may change his views. I have seen that happen.  

Nice to meet you Queenie. I have met Uppy here and she is a really nice person.
When you had the 'Castle' there was a small group on another thread with Jewel, another friend and cat lady. We were running neck and neck in comments, in those last days before the vine switched in 2013. We did achieve a higher number which remains today. I think at that late date we were both on private threads. 
  Great to see you out and about and posting again. Aquarian ♒ moon today. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
44.5.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  John Galt 1147 @44.5    7 years ago

Yeah, teenagers aren't the most emotipnally intelligent people, and a skillful manipulator cane take advantage of that.  But hopefully he'll get wiser.

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
44.5.2  John Galt 1147  replied to  sandy-2021492 @44.5.1    7 years ago
teenagers aren't the most emotipnally intelligent people, and a skillful manipulator cane take advantage of that.  But hopefully he'll get wiser.

They do have some positives we may not immediately notice. My friend who has a daughter he had not seen for many years because the mom made an effort to keep him from seeing her. He is a gentle man. He had accepted that it was the way it was going to be. The daughter went to school with my daughter. I told him that he should try and after many discussions he agreed. His first trip to see her, he said his legs were shaking as he walked up the walk. Once they got together, he never blamed or badtalked the mom. She wondered why, as they live in the same town, he had never tried to contact her. Anyway they have been close friends ever since. Sort of sad story about the mom. She had an auto accident and ended up in a wheelchair. The daughter just never knew the other side of the story. Somehow she sorted thru it all and came to her own conclusions. That all happened when she was 16.

Al-316
Professor Silent
44.5.3  Al-316  replied to  John Galt 1147 @44.5.2    7 years ago

I agree with your advice, John. Someone always has to make the first move.

It is better to try and fail, then never to have tried at all.

Maybe that is why I fail so many times. As I have aged, I have lost my fear of failing but have developed a fear of winning.

Sounds silly but winning does not always bring happiness.

Al

Krishna
Professor Expert
44.5.4  Krishna  replied to  Al-316 @44.5.3    7 years ago
It is better to try and fail, then never to have tried at all.

Reminds me of this quote:

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." —Wayne Gretzky

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
44.5.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  John Galt 1147 @44.5.2    7 years ago

I'm glad the girl finally figured it out.

Something similar happened with my son, although nowhere near as severe.  He's always been difficult to get along with, from the time he was an infant.  When his father and I divorced, his behavior improved for a while, but then it got to the point where he spent hardly any time with me that wasn't fighting, expressed a marked preference for going to his dad's on the weekends, and finally ended up staying primarily with his dad for 2 years.  Now he's back mostly with me, and the things he's told me about his dad' opinion of me - well, his dad swears he never said anything bad about me, but I don't buy it.  Good thing my son is a smart kid.  His dad complained I wasn't paying enough child support.  I always paid what was ordered by the courts, and still bought most of his clothes, and provided health insurance, which his dad should have done, but didn't.  He finally got insurance when his wife started having health issues, and believe me, my son noticed that.  My boy also noticed that his dad had money for new cars, new furniture, etc., but never had money to spend on him specifically, and figured out he was being used as a cash cow.  I didn't have to say a word, and I didn't even know most of it was going on.

So my son's living primarily with me again.  He can still be difficult, but he's nobody's fool.

John Galt 1147
Freshman Silent
45  John Galt 1147    7 years ago

LOL, that is one rough, tough, dangerous dog.

you know, I know, they know they are fearless and powerful. It is just that the dog/people world does not. laughing dude