╌>

Ignore Function - Is it coming soon?

Category:  meta

Via:  pj  •  7 years ago  •  65 comments

Ignore Function - Is it coming soon?

I thought I read recently that the "ignore" function was being considered or would be an option soon.  Did I misunderstand or will we be able to ignore members soon?

Also, is there a section that we can leave our suggestions to avoid posting these types of system capabilities questions, upgrade notifications or option requests?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
1  seeder  PJ    7 years ago

I thought I read recently that the "ignore" function was being considered or would be an option soon.  Did I misunderstand or will we be able to ignore members soon?

Also, is there a section that we can leave our suggestions to avoid posting these types of system capability questions, upgrade notifications or option requests?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2  Nowhere Man    7 years ago

Yes it is called the meta subject and you have already found it....

right here for those that don't know where ...

AS far as I know the ignore function has not been contemplated seriously by management, and will not be, we are all adults and should be able to or have the emotional composition to deal with it ourselves. Besides, it defeats the purpose of the site doesn't it?

No easy way out of interpersonal relationships.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2  seeder  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man @2    7 years ago
No easy way out of interpersonal relationships.

Sometimes it's necessary to avoid those interpersonal relationships when you hold absolutely no respect for the other person.  For the success of the site it's best to be able to erase them completely from your purview to avoid conflict.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.3  seeder  PJ  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.2.1    7 years ago

What is the difference between "nations" and "private groups"? 

I'm simply asking whether we can put a member on ignore as an alternative to leaving the site.   I'm okay with bringing back the "thumbs down" function.  

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.2.4  Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ @2.2    7 years ago
For the success of the site it's best to be able to erase them completely from your purview to avoid conflict.

WOW! really, many people opinions of those that wish to avoid what they don't like are that they are weak and can't stand on their own two feet. I know that isn't you.

But jeese, why would you want to eliminate the opposition viewpoint?

Are words said in a vacuum really said?

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.5  seeder  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.2.4    7 years ago

I'm not talking about eliminating opposing views.  I'm talking about eliminating stupid views so I don't post mean comments to them.

I can debate with the best of them but I can't convince the utterly stupid that they are stupid.  They're too stupid to get it.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.2.6  Dean Moriarty  replied to  PJ @2.2.5    7 years ago

I simply ignore them. I don’t need a tool to do that. I call it self-control. 

Self-control. ... Self-control, an aspect of inhibitory control, is the ability to regulate one's emotions, thoughts, and behavior in the face of temptations and impulses. As an executive function, self-control is a cognitive process that is necessary for regulating one's behavior in order to achieve specific goals.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.7  seeder  PJ  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.2.6    7 years ago

I got a word for ya

assholery . Noun. (countable and uncountable, plural assholeries) Patterns of behavior consistent with that of an   asshole .

chuckle

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.2.4    7 years ago

Ironic that you as a conservative are saying this considering a conservative with a large following insisted on an ignore function because he couldn't stand the sight of some user names on the FP.

when he didn't get his way, he burned down his houses and took all his toys and went home.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.2.11  Nowhere Man  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.10    7 years ago

Can't speak for anyone else, but most conservatives around here can easily handle it, we also tout personal responsibility also.

Don't we?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.2.11    7 years ago

Um...no.

Shepboy is all for it and I hear that's why 1911Colt stomped away  because Perrie wouldn't give into his demands for an ignore function.

Apparently 19Colt didn't like seeing certain liberals names on the FP....that would be all of us

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Shepboy @2.2.13    7 years ago
So can you think of a reason to be on this website?

Because I like it here. And it's nice to have moderation back again even if I've gotten swatted a few times.

I for one am glad that 1911 is gone. I hope he never comes back.

There are people here I don't want to have anything to do with, either, but I've learned to scroll on by and ignore them internally. And you have the nerve to call others immature.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.16  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Shepboy @2.2.13    7 years ago
So can you think of a reason to be on this website?

I can. There are groups that post interesting topics, forum topics that are much more desirable to read and even fun to contribute to much more than the constant anger, animosity and vitriol of politics and religion "discussions".

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Shepboy @2.2.17    7 years ago
"The site is nice, there are some people who are not."

I don't disagree with that.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.19  Trout Giggles  replied to  Shepboy @2.2.15    7 years ago

Tell you, what, since you are so delicate and fragile, I won't cuss in any comments I hurl your way.

And you were here at NT before I was, so was 1911. When I first got here, I saw a lot of insults flying and insults hurled towards those of a progressive bent. There wouldn't even be any progressives in the conversation, but I saw a lot of "libtards" "snowflakes" "babies", etc. How do you think any sane person would respond to that?

I admit, I hate 1911's guts. If that gets me censored, I'll live with it. But I needed to say it. Anyone would not even allow himself to even discuss something with someone of the opposite side does not deserve respect.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2.20  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.10    7 years ago

Those tea party types can be so hypersensitive when confronted with different viewpoints. Hypocrisy. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.21  Tessylo  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.2.11    7 years ago
we also tout personal responsibility also.

LOL!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.22  Tessylo  replied to  Shepboy @2.2.15    7 years ago
I am not saying anyone said something like that specifically, but there are clearly two different tones between my example with bull shit and the one with fuck.

Well FFS!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.23  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @2.2.20    7 years ago

hypersensitive

Good word!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.24  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.16    7 years ago
There are groups that post interesting topics, forum topics that are much more desirable to read and even fun to contribute to

Like your Movie Quizzes

If we could get people on those quizzes, maybe I might find some common ground with people who don't think like me.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.25  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.22    7 years ago

I wonder how many of Old School Marine's comments, Shepboy reads....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.26  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.19    7 years ago
I admit, I hate 1911's guts.

Really?   Hate?   Wow!

If that gets me censored, I'll live with it. But I needed to say it. Anyone would not even allow himself to even discuss something with someone of the opposite side does not deserve respect.

Don't agree with your assessment of 1911 but that said, there are plenty of folks on both sides of the political spectrum who do operate like that.   Do you "hate" the liberals like that equally?   I think not and that TG, is called hypocrisy. 

I'm sure that comment will piss you off as well but it is not intended to.    Not in the least but it is intended to point out a hypocrisy i have observed here on NT and elsewhere.

Ignore that, or not, as i care not.   This blog stuff is all "grain of salt" stuff to me.   No biggie either way.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.29  Trout Giggles  replied to    7 years ago

Are you saying you don't use the kind of language that Shepboy finds offensive?

I know I'm snippy and biting. so what? I speak my mind just like you do

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.31  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.24    7 years ago

From what I've seen, most of the members who are stuck in the mud of political and religious rage and rancor have little interest in anything else.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.32  Trout Giggles  replied to  Shepboy @2.2.30    7 years ago

I don't post on weekends. I sleep.

You should tell us who you think the best progressive to debate with is and I'll tell you the best conservative. Or we all could

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man @2    7 years ago

Using the IMPASSE rule should send a message, and one can always, when replying to a comment that one feels should be ignored, just reply with the word "IGNORED", or, one can always just actually ignore - eventually the message will get across to bullies, hounders, stalkers, trolls, and others of that ilk (and NT is not without such types). If the bullies, hounders, stalkers and trolls don't get the message and keep up their behaviour, just report it to the R.A. and she will investigate, and if the complaint is valid, take care of it with an order to cease any future engagement or else.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.4    7 years ago
one can always just actually ignore - eventually the message will get across to bullies, hounders, stalkers, trolls, and others of that ilk

I'm working on that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.4.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.4.1    7 years ago

You're doing a great job!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.4.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.4.2    7 years ago

Thanks!

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
2.4.4  Capt. Cave Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.4.2    7 years ago

IMO ignore is a bad thing.

As long as what you are saying is not against the CoH, then it should be seen by everyone.  Including the one who doesn't like what you have to say.

I know it can be frustrating reading a view that you completely disagree with, that is said by a person that you completely don't like, but hey, if what they are saying is not against the rules, then you better be able to handle it, or you probably should not be here.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
2.4.5  Phoenyx13  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @2.4.4    7 years ago
I know it can be frustrating reading a view that you completely disagree with, that is said by a person that you completely don't like, but hey, if what they are saying is not against the rules, then you better be able to handle it, or you probably should not be here.

i think this needs repeating and i agree with the statement.

if you can't handle ignoring someone else's comment yourself then it speaks volumes about you (not directed at any specific person), the only reason (in my opinion) that an "ignore" function would be needed is to create an echo-chamber, and there are plenty of websites out there that are echo chambers full of conservative minded people and echo chambers full of liberal minded people - but this site has a mix for a reason.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3  Sunshine    7 years ago

We need an ignore button for the way overused phrase of "you and your ilk". 

or how about banned phrases?  

if you say it more than 2 times on one article, you must apologize and swear on the Bible (lol) you will not repeat it again ever.

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    7 years ago

Skirting the CoC [ph]