╌>

Southern Poverty Law Center Claims Antifa Is NOT a Hate Group

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  7 years ago  •  79 comments

Southern Poverty Law Center Claims Antifa Is NOT a Hate Group

Testifying before the House Homeland Security Committee on Thursday, Southern Poverty Law Center President Richard Cohen stated that Antifa is not considered a “hate group” by his organization.

“If you are familiar with our work, we write about antifa often,” Cohen testified during the hearing on domestic terrorism. “We condemn their tactics — I’ve said so publicly and we do so always — but antifa is not a group that vilifies people on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion and the like.”

While they may not hate over religion, they certainly spread hate based on political leanings. In fact, Cohen’s statements came one day before a man in Boston was hospitalized with three fractures in his face after being attacked by a group of 7-10 Antifa militants over his support of President Donald Trump.  

Republican members of the committee were less than impressed with Cohen’s failure to include the left-wing anarchists who have been creating chaos on campuses across the nation if someone right of center attempts to give a speech — but decision to include the Republican policy center the Family Research Council.

Pennsylvania Rep. Scott Perry asserted that the SPLC’s failure to include Antifa “reduces your credibility” and accused them of targeting people and groups based on their opinion instead of empirical data, the Washington Times reported.

“So you’re okay with Antifa as long as they don’t say things that you don’t agree with, but it’s okay if they hit people on the head with a bike lock or set things on fire or riot and flout the law by wearing face masks and incite riots—you’re okay with that?” Perry asked.

Cohen responded by saying that while they condemn the actions of Antifa, they still do not consider them to be a hate group.

As for the Family Research Council, Cohen claimed that their inclusion is warranted due to their criticism of the LGBTQ community.

“Our listing of hate groups doesn’t necessarily mean that they engage in violence, although we think that the anti-LGBT propaganda is one of the factors that makes the LGBT community in our country the most likely to be victimized by hate crimes,” he said.

The SPLC has recently partnered with Google to “downplay” hate groups in search results, which has been blasted by many as blatant censorship. Cohen claimed that access to “hate sites” contributed to tragedies such as the church shooting in Charleston, South Carolina, in 2015. Yet, he argued that the anti-Family Research Council posts on the SPLC website had nothing to do with a shooting at their offices in 2012.

“We’re no more responsible for what Mr. Corkins did based on reading our website than Martin Scorsese is for what John Hinckley did,” Cohen said.

Perry referred to Cohen’s response as a “breathtaking double standard.”   https://bigleaguepolitics.com/southern-poverty-law-center-claims-antifa-not-hate-group/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Rhyferys
Freshman Silent
1  Rhyferys    7 years ago

Well, if we're going to expand hate groups:

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4  seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

“the SPLC’s failure to include Antifa “reduces your credibility” and accused them of targeting people and groups based on their opinion instead of empirical data, the Washington Times reported.

“So you’re okay with Antifa as long as they don’t say things that you don’t agree with, but it’s okay if they hit people on the head with a bike lock or set things on fire or riot and flout the law by wearing face masks and incite riots—you’re okay with that?” Perry asked.”

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.1  Willjay9  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4    7 years ago
So you’re okay with Antifa as long as they don’t say things that you don’t agree with, but it’s okay if they hit people on the head with a bike lock or set things on fire or riot and flout the law by wearing face masks and incite riots—you’re okay with that?” Perry asked.”

You see......there is a difference between a violent group and a hate group. Antifa doesn't promote hatred based on beliefs, sexual orientation, race, or gender identity.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Willjay9 @4.1    7 years ago

Well, where I come from, people don't commit acts of violence because they love someone. They commit them because they hate someone.

Dulay
Professor Guide
4.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.4    7 years ago
Well, where I come from, people don't commit acts of violence because they love someone. They commit them because they hate someone. 

Then a lot of people hate their family in Texas.

185,817 cases on family violence in Texas in 2014. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @4.1.5    7 years ago

Well, no shit, Sherlock. Every state in the country has family violence cases.

Dulay
Professor Guide
4.1.7  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.6    7 years ago

Whoosh.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.4    7 years ago
Well, where I come from, people don't commit acts of violence because they love someone

Domestic violence instances.  DUH!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.8    7 years ago

Are y'all naïve enough to believe that a person willing to commit acts of violence against his or her own family actually LOVES them?

LMFAO!

Y'all sound like those folks who make excuses for family violence--"But he really loved her before he beat the shit out of her!"

SMDH

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.9    7 years ago

Again, WHOOSH!

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.1.11  Willjay9  replied to    7 years ago

EXACTLY! You see political groups are a choice, the rest for the most part aren't! NOW your getting to see the difference right!

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.1.12  Willjay9  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.4    7 years ago

Really?! Interesting...........

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.13  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  LMM @4.1.1    7 years ago

And yet you are still here...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.15  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Shepboy @4.1.14    7 years ago

Well said.  The same thing happens on campuses around the country whenever a conservative is invited to speak to a group there.  

ausmth
Freshman Silent
4.1.16  ausmth  replied to  LMM @4.1.1    7 years ago

>--.---.-

Zoom zoom!

Rhyferys
Freshman Silent
5  Rhyferys    7 years ago

So, you have a quote from a biased newspaper, and another quote from a biased politician. If you had a point, what might it be?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6  Texan1211    7 years ago

Oh, come on, for crying out loud.

It IS the SPLC, so who really gives a flying f*&%?

Dulay
Professor Guide
7  Dulay    7 years ago

https://thenewstalkers.com/community/discussion/36601/�https://bigleaguepolitics.com/southern-poverty-law-center-claims-antifa-not-hate-group/

So here we go again with links that come back to a NT seed. 

Now, as to the overtly misleading article. 

From the seed:

As for the Family Research Council, Cohen claimed that their inclusion is warranted due to their criticism of the LGBTQ community.

That is a bald faced lie and anyone who actually WATCHED the testimony would know that. Of course, neither the seeder, the source or the author of the article give a shit. Just stay willfully uninformed and swill the BS we feed you. 

For those who want to know what Cohen ACTUALLY said in reply, here it is:

"We list the Family Research Council, not because it is opposed to gay marriage, but because it relentlessly vilifies the LGBT community and demonizes them with known lies and propaganda. That's why we list them."

THEN Perry asked Cohen about Antifa and Cohen answered:

“Our listing of hate groups doesn’t necessarily mean that they engage in violence, although we think that the anti-LGBT propaganda is one of the factors that makes the LGBT community in our country the most likely to be victimized by hate crimes,” he said.

So the author MISREPRESENTED the CONTEXT of that statement. Of course, what do you expect from a "Sputnik" contributor, who the seeder has a particular penchant for it seems. This isn't the first article by her that he's seeded. 

If you want to hear what else Cohen said about Antifa, go watch the video, starting @ 1:30:00. Here's an ACTUAL link to the video:

You needn't bother with the BS from the seeded source. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9  It Is ME    7 years ago

"but antifa is not a group that vilifies people on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion and the like.”

They just Vilify and ATTACK ALL people that "THINK Differently" than they do. Big Difference ?  patience

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @9    7 years ago

Hating and attacking people for what they think or who they support or voted for is still hate and a group so engaged is a hate group.  

Dulay
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1    7 years ago
Hating and attacking people for what they think or who they support or voted for is still hate and a group so engaged is a hate group.

By that standard, any review of the VAST majority of comments from 'conservatives' in this seed alone would cause you to label them as members of a hate group. 

If you were to poke your toe into the rest of this site, you wouldn't be able to dismiss the fact that the 'hate group' is a majority here. Hell, there may even be a couple of liberals in there...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dulay @9.1.1    7 years ago

I had no idea there are many people here who literally hate people who disagree with them and attack them like Antifa does over it.  

Dulay
Professor Guide
9.1.3  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1.2    7 years ago
I had no idea there are many people here who literally hate people who disagree with them and attack them like Antifa does over it.

Willful blindness. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1    7 years ago

What you and Liberals CONSTANTLY call HATE, I call it a disagreement !

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dulay @9.1.3    7 years ago

You think I’m wilfully blind to the threat secular progressive hate groups pose to real Americans who live in the heartland or flyover country.  I’m not.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @9.1.4    7 years ago

That depends on the degree that people go to coerce others to compel them to live according to secular progressive mantra.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1.6    7 years ago
That depends on the degree that people go to coerce others to compel them to live according to secular progressive mantra.

Beating someone's ass over a "Disagreement", I'd call that "Hate" for sure. A war of words.....not so much.

Rhyferys
Freshman Silent
9.1.8  Rhyferys  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1.5    7 years ago
You think I’m wilfully blind to the threat secular progressive hate groups pose to real Americans who live in the heartland or flyover country.

There is  no threat to people in the heartland unless they are neo-Nazi's or white supremacists and decide to act on their hatred. Why so many come from the heartland is not our problem.

ausmth
Freshman Silent
9.1.9  ausmth  replied to  Rhyferys @9.1.8    7 years ago
There is  no threat to people in the heartland unless they are

Conservative Republicans who oppose the leftist progressive agenda.