╌>

NY Times Reporter: Trump Deserves ‘Enormous Credit’ for North Korea Breakthrough

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sixpick  •  6 years ago  •  101 comments

NY Times Reporter: Trump Deserves ‘Enormous Credit’ for North Korea Breakthrough

New York Times  national security reporter and CNN contributor David Sanger gave President Donald Trump credit on Tuesday for a recent breakthrough in North Korea talks.

CNN's Alisyn Camerota pushed Sanger on the credit Trump is due after South Korea announced Tuesday it would be holding its first summit with North Korea in more than a decade in late April. North Korea also vowed to halt nuclear and missile tests while talking with the United States and its souther neighbor. The announcement came after a senior delegation returned from a visit to the North where they met leader Kim Jong Un.

"But David, in terms of giving President Trump the credit, don't you need to rewind the tape back farther than the Olympics?" she asked. Camerota's reference to the 2018 Winter Olympic games held in South Korea was to acknowledge it was a time viewed by many as a major step forward in improving relations between the two Koreas.

Camerota referenced that during Trump's presidential transition period, he was already talking about sitting down and negotiating with Kim.

Sanger agreed while also pointing to Trump's imposition of "truly deep sanctions, which the U.S. stepped out to enforce."

The commitment to sanctions, he argued, gave Kim "additional motivation to realize that he had to get into some talks that would relieve that pressure."

"I think President Trump deserves enormous credit for ratcheting up that pressure and making sure those sanctions were real. There was no reason the Obama administration couldn't have done that, and they didn't," he said.

~Link~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  sixpick    6 years ago

Trump The adult in the room.jpg

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  sixpick @1    6 years ago

My favorite cartoon. Ben Garrison draws some good stuff.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2  MrFrost  replied to  sixpick @1    6 years ago

IMG_20170825_102806.jpg

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.2.1  Spikegary  replied to  MrFrost @1.2    6 years ago

ACtually that cartoon has nothing to do with the story, just more butthurt.  This is the most important story on the news.  North Korea is coming to the table and they have made a pledge to stop doing the things they were doing whil a dialog is ongoing.  Something that no president has acheived in recent years, including GWB and Obama.

It's sad that people have decided anything he does is bad.  It's a stupid, mute position that doesn't help our country in any way.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Spikegary @1.2.1    6 years ago

They are not going to accept Trump, no more than many of us accepted Obama.  We felt Obama was doing exactly opposite of what this country deserved and they think Trump is doing exactly opposite of what this country deserves.

Obama had his personality and support of the MSM.  Trump has a personality flaw and no support from the MSM.  One thing is Trump has had nearly as many accomplishments since he has been President as Obama had the entire time he was President, but quite a few of those accomplishments look like disappointments to the Democrats.

The people are divided.  Some want open borders and others don't.  Both have their reasons for what they want and we know what they are.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

Trump does deserve positive credit for this development.  

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.1  TTGA  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    6 years ago

Trump does deserve positive credit for this development.

Yep, now all he has to do is make sure that he doesn't get played for a delay by the Korean asshole or the Chinese asshole.  Keep the nukes hanging over their heads to keep them honest.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  TTGA @2.1    6 years ago

I really think that NK and their Chinese enablers have gotten the message that any launch or test that goes a tiny bit astray will be shot down. We have enough firepower in the region to do what's necessary.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2.1.2  Spikegary  replied to  TTGA @2.1    6 years ago

Yeah, we've already had those presidents that were played.........

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.1.3  TTGA  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.1    6 years ago
We have enough firepower in the region to do what's necessary.

Of course we do Greg, but do we have the will to use it?  A weapon is never a threat unless your adversaries believe that you are willing to use it.  I learned that when I first became a policeman.  My Sergeant told me, "Don't ever point that thing at anyone unless you're ready and willing to have a dead body on the floor.  If you do, somebody is going to take it away from you and shove it up your ass."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    6 years ago

He had the courage & conviction to go to the brink to force North Korea to give up nuclear weapons, which no other President would do when it was a lot easier and he is willing to sit down with Kim, which is something Barak Obama always said he would be willing to do.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.3  SteevieGee  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    6 years ago

Wait...  Isn't the NY Times a part of the massive anti-Trump media conspiracy?  Aren't they just left wing propaganda and fake news?  What gives?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
2.3.3  seeder  sixpick  replied to    6 years ago

Several of my last articles have been from Left Wing sources and the Left always do the same thing.  If it doesn't fit their beliefs it doesn't matter if it's from a Left Wing source or not, they criticize it. 

It's kind of like blacks in this country.  The Left always profess to be for them, but if a black doesn't fit the Left's beliefs that have been indoctrinated in them for decades, that black becomes an Uncle Tom or a whore if it just happens to be a woman. 

The Left is pretty easy to understand.  If it's good for the country they are against it unless it's from another Leftist and then it doesn't matter whether it's good or bad, they love it. 

For me, when the truth is exposed, I'm all for it, whether it is from the Left, Right or any part in between.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

It'd be nice if something good comes of this, but I have zero faith in Trump's negotiating skills. The best I hope for is that he doesn't completely embarrass us. Either way, Kim got his propaganda victory no matter how anything else turns out. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4    6 years ago
Either way, Kim got his propaganda victory no matter how anything else turns out.

If Obama had the balls to be the one who ended up negotiating with the little bastard, would you say the same thing? Or would it be Obama's most glorious achievement?

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.1  lennylynx  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    6 years ago

Obama would have gained concessions before sitting down.  President Obama spoke softly and carried a big stick.  President Trump shoots his mouth off then walks back his tough talk like the snivelling coward he is.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  lennylynx @4.1.1    6 years ago
Obama would have gained concessions before sitting down

Why do you still deny that the North Koreans have stopped all missile testing as a pre-condition to the talks, while the US maintains strict sanctions?

Remember the President has yet to sit down with Kim. As the Secretary of State said "These are talks NOT negotiations". Kim must dismantle all nukes - it's that simple.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  arkpdx  replied to    6 years ago
Drumpfs

Who? 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.10  KDMichigan  replied to    6 years ago
Can any of you actually make an intelligent comment on the topic?

Maybe when you make one instead of just crying President Trump is bad, someone will respond to it?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.11  seeder  sixpick  replied to  lennylynx @4.1.1    6 years ago
President Obama spoke softly and carried a big stick.

You mean a knife, don't you, considering how he was well known for backstabbing people, like the people who voted for him, the rest of us and Israel.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.10    6 years ago

It's difficult to respect someone's credibility when they refuse to admit that Trump may have done something right, but only turn it around.  A mature intelligent person gives credit where credit is due.  Personally I think what Trump did concerning Jerusalem was finally doing what previous Presidents promised but never did, and it had the effect of totally sending the Palestinians into a childish frenzy, including accusing their Arab brothers of treason. I think we are going to see some positive results from his having the balls to do what he did, when others were too meek to carry out an effective step. Other countries are now announcing that they will be following suit.  Let's see what he can do by being tough on Iran.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.13  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.12    6 years ago

One issue commenters like yourself are a nuisance. 

Trump can drag down the morale and the moral standing of half of America but it means nothing to you as long as he promotes your views on Israel.  That's a shame. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.1.16  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.3    6 years ago
Obama would have gained concessions before sitting down

We're suppose to laugh Vic.  That was a joke.  Let me tell you another one.  Obama would probably have carried a duffel bag full of money as a present to him.  Oh sorry, that's not a joke, it's the truth.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.1.17  96WS6  replied to  lennylynx @4.1.1    6 years ago

LMAO!  BO spoke softly and when the shit hit the fan he dropped his stick.  He was the worst negotiator in the history of the USA.   At least when it came to the interests of the USA...

PS.  Lines in the sand, red lines, and big sticks are all pretty much the same thing.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.1.18  96WS6  replied to  lennylynx @4.1.1    6 years ago

BO already showed us how well his "hit the reset button then roll over with your dick between your legs" negotiating skills worked with Russia, and how well his "draw a line then roll over with your dick between your legs" strategy worked with Syria.    You really want more?   All BO's strategies did were embolden and strengthen our enemies.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.1.19  Spikegary  replied to    6 years ago

Why should he when you continue to play childish games, instead of acting like a mature adult?

If you truly want a serious discussion, then you should at least act like you are serious.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
4.3  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4    6 years ago
It'd be nice if something good comes of this, but I have zero faith in Trump's negotiating skills. The best I hope for is that he doesn't completely embarrass us. Either way, Kim got his propaganda victory no matter how anything else turns out.

It's not Trump's negotiating skills that concerns me.  Trump has proved how he can negotiate successfully already, but the seemingly dysfunction quite a few experiencing is because his skills are so alien to them.

But on the other hand, I don't have much faith in anything to do with North Korea, but one step forward is better than what all the other Presidents have done.  Trump's idea is to move and accomplish something.  Then when he arrives at a new point he takes it from there.  The Iranians have never ever held true to any of their agreements.  In in addition to that they bragged how they got away with it.  The Europeans way to deal with that has always been to offer them another agreement because the Europeans saw money in their pockets they wouldn't have otherwise and that has always been the distance they look ahead.

Trump's negotiating skills aren't important here.  His ability to make something happen is important.  The fact is if something doesn't happen to change the direction North Korea is heading, we are going to have to face it one day when it will be too late to do anything about it.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.4  96WS6  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4    6 years ago
I have zero faith in Trump's negotiating skills.

Nothing funnier than an Obama fan complaining about negotiating skills! laughing dude    LMAO!!!!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    6 years ago

Two mentally unstable dictators to meet and discuss nuclear weapons... What could POSSIBLY go wrong? Meh, who cares, even if this is an epic failure which it most likely will be, the cons will just bleat that it was someone else's fault. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
6.2  lennylynx  replied to  MrFrost @6    6 years ago

Yup, Obama's.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7  Cerenkov    6 years ago

So many on the left want this to fail. It's disheartening that rabid anti-Trump hysteria is more important than peace.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
7.2  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Cerenkov @7    6 years ago
So many on the left want this to fail. It's disheartening that rabid anti-Trump hysteria is more important than peace.

That's the Left's reason for existing.  They would rather Trump die than Kim Jung Un, even though up to 3.5 million people have been killed by that family of communist dictators.  Pretty pathetic.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.2.1  Cerenkov  replied to  sixpick @7.2    6 years ago

Party over nation. The liberal mantra...

sixpick
Professor Quiet
7.2.2  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Cerenkov @7.2.1    6 years ago

The Left hijacked their party and the insane can't help but follow them down the rat hole.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
7.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Cerenkov @7    6 years ago
It's disheartening that rabid anti-Trump hysteria is more important than peace.

Peace?  Peace with whom?  You're talking about a man who has executed at least 340 people, which includes family members, because they have expressed opposing views.  You're talking about a man who has repeatedly threatened the US with nuclear attacks over the last several years. You are talking about a man who has had no desire to make peace with a country that was once part of his own.  You are talking about a man who thought a lobotomy was a fitting punishment for a foolish American college student who thought it would be really cool to take a poster as a souvenir of his brief stop in NK.  Trump had a lot to say regarding Otto Warmbier:  

Otto’s fate deepens my administration’s determination to prevent such tragedies from befalling innocent people at the hands of regimes that do not respect the rule of law or basic human decency,” the statement said. “The United States once again condemns the brutality of the North Korean regime as we mourn its latest victim.

...and yet, now he thinks Kim Jong-un has suddenly become an honorable man of the people.

And then there is this: 

Secretary of State, John F. Kerry, stated in an interview broadcast on ABC's This Week on 15 December that Jang's fate "tells us a lot about … how ruthless and reckless" and "insecure" Kim Jong-un is, and described Kim as "spontaneous, erratic, still worried about his place in the power structure and maneuvering to eliminate" potential competitors.[60] Kerry stated that Kim leads a "ruthless, horrendous dictatorship" and Kerry urged the denuclearization of North Korea.[60] Senator John McCain, member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said of Kim on CNN's State of the Union: "I think it's very obvious this young man is capable of some very aberrational behavior, and given the toys that he has, I think it's very dangerous. You would think that the Chinese would understand that, as well. They've got to rein this young man in—and they can.

Make no mistake, this isn't a man who is interested in peace, he is interested in domination through annihilation, and doesn't care who knows it.  It's just the way Putin rolls.  Wait, what?  Did I say Putin?  I meant Kim Jong-un.

Just to prove what an open-minded gal I am, how about this:  If Kim Jong-un will produce every missing family member (which includes women and children) of his executed uncle, Jang Song-thaek, then I might reconsider my opinion of him.         

TTGA
Professor Silent
7.3.1  TTGA  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @7.3    6 years ago
You're talking about a man who has executed at least 340 people, which includes family members, because they have expressed opposing views.

Yeah Sister, but he's the guy in charge over there, so he's the one you've got to deal with whether you like it or not.

My thoughts on the matter of dealing with him are best stated by, "If you want peace, remember that there is no one as peaceful as a dead enemy".  Kim should have been taken out a long time ago.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
7.3.2  96WS6  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @7.3    6 years ago

You know Sister, I can't help thinking that if this happened during BO's tenure a lot on the right would be saying exactly what you are, but the fact of the matter is that BO was a proven HORRIBLE negotiator (at least when it came to the interests of THIS country) and Trump has proven himself to be a good negotiator, it is a required business skill. 

The facts are NK must be dealt with and we have someone much more likely to get a positive outcome than we have in over 16 years.  Like him or not.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
9  seeder  sixpick    6 years ago

NYT’s Nat Sec. Reporter: Trump Deserves “Enormous Credit” For North Korea Breakthrough

Really hurts, doesn't it?  Your own credible news source has this to say about this situation, while all you who have no experience at all rant. 

I don't expect anything to come of this immediately or if ever, but the future is inevitably clear what is going to happen if nothing is tried.  This meeting isn't to sign anything, only to get a feeling as to what can be done.  He won't be alone as some of you have stated.  As far as the real experts of the past who propped up Communist Cuba for the next 50 plus years or financed terrorist activities in Iran with billions of dollars, they have had their chance and didn't do anything with North Korea, too busy transforming this country, making millions with pay to play and dividing the country.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9.1  Krishna  replied to  sixpick @9    6 years ago

I don't expect anything to come of this immediately or if ever,

And that's an important point/

If Trump actually meets with North Korea's leader, and ...if something comes of it, Trump does indeed deserve great credit. 

If!

But he does have a habit of saying he will do something-- and then changing his mind... he may end up going, he may not. (If he decides not to go-- does he still deserve "enormous credit" ...for merely saying he would go?) 

At this point its too early to know if he will actually go..or not).

The New York Times’ National Security Reporter David Sanger praises President Trump, saying that he deserves “enormous credit” for the recent breakthrough in talks with North Korea.

Breakthrough? What "breakthrough"? Saying he will do something (which he may or may not actually do) IMO is hardly a "breakthrough). This David Sanger isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
9.1.1  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Krishna @9.1    6 years ago
But he does have a habit of saying he will do something

You know Krishna, Trump has fulfilled more of his promises during the election than any other President in recent history.  He has faced more obstruction and up to 91% negative news coverage, more than any other President in recent history as well, although he probably deserves some of it, but you'll never see or hear anything good from the MSM on Trump.  It's not just what they report, it's what they don't report as well.

Trump is not my ideal President by a long shot, but the Democrats gave us no other choice.  I know how much most of the Democrat loved Obama and a lot of that was because all he ever received from the MSM was praise.  Even with Obama making statements people loved and Bill Clinton making statements people loved because the media told them they loved him, when Trump has done the exact same thing and said the exact same thing the MSM has told the people to hate him for saying what he said or did.

Bill Clinton and Barack Obama on immigration

Hillary Clinton used to sound a lot like Trump on immigration

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.3  Texan1211  replied to    6 years ago

When Democrats held the WH, Senate, and House, all we heard was "obstruction".

Don't whine now the shoe is on the other foot.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
9.1.4  96WS6  replied to    6 years ago

By your own example only 6.9% have been broken.   I can't help thinking you haven't compared this to BO's and are clueless to the facts and comparisons or you would have never posted this LMFAO!!!!  BTW, did you happen to notice how many of BO's broken promises assured or at least contributed to ACA's failure?   Coincidence?  Of course not.  ACA was designed to usher in first payer after the socialists and globalists won the 2016 election they were so certain they would win.   Fortunately, their primary rigging and fake news/polling efforts bore no fruit.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
10  bbl-1    6 years ago

"Enormous Credit."  This is right in Trump's wheelhouse.  He put himself front and center on this one.  Every advantage is in Trump's favor to be successful or not.  On the whole and unmistakably, N. Korea ain't crap.  They have a lot of weapons and nothing else. 

I see two outcomes on this.  Both good.  N. Korea backs down and joins the rest of the world.  Or-------a bunch of people get hurt and N. Korea is just gone with a new cowboy in charge.

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.1  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @10    6 years ago

And here's what Bill Clinton said when he touted the "enormous success" of his North Korea deal...way back in 1994.

PJ
Masters Quiet
11  PJ    6 years ago

Why am I not surprised that another article has been hijacked to be used as a tool towards attacking democrats that are no longer in office....... This is just confusing to me.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
11.1  lady in black  replied to  PJ @11    6 years ago

It's their standard MO.......but Obama, but Hillary, but Bill Clinton, etc., etc., etc. sad that people let them live rent free in their heads and can't move on to the issues we face with orange conman toddler in chief.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
11.2  96WS6  replied to  PJ @11    6 years ago

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the number of moon-bats glorifying the worlds worst negotiator...

PJ
Masters Quiet
11.2.1  PJ  replied to  96WS6 @11.2    6 years ago

I agree that this site can certainly corrupt the best but I am trying not to get caught up in the mud slinging or the false narratives that some post.  Perhaps if we all exercised some restraint in responding to comments that are only meant to inflame the situation then it would improve the dialogue here.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
11.3  Spikegary  replied to  PJ @11    6 years ago

If you read through the comments, you see how people think nuclear negotiations is a bad thing because, well, 'Trump', who has obviously accomplished more than previous presidents, of both flavors when talking about N.K., it's inevitable that it reverts into well, your guy didn't do anything.

The simple fact is, he is able to get Kim to the table, but Dems still refuse.  That speaks volumes.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
11.3.1  seeder  sixpick  replied to  Spikegary @11.3    6 years ago

I have little faith in North Korea.  doing anything different than Iran has done for decades.  They will not stick by any agreements as far as I'm concerned, but something has be done to change their course or stop them from threatening us and our allies and we've tried playing by the book and it hasn't worked, so we'll have to see what comes of Trump's meeting and what happens thereafter.

Everyone, please behave while I go take a whiz.   I don't care about jokes or memes, but personal insults are a no no.

PJ
Masters Quiet
11.3.2  PJ  replied to  Spikegary @11.3    6 years ago

When there is a measurable outcome then I will agree.  Until then I won't criticize and I won't praise what is simply speculation at this point. 

I'm open to what may happen and I'm willing to wait to see what happens.  I wish others were as responsible.  

At this time, there is no victory or credit to hand out. 

This is another example of handing everyone a ribbon or award for simply showing up.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.3.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Spikegary @11.3    6 years ago

Good point.  Well written.  thumbs up

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.4  Krishna  replied to  PJ @11    6 years ago
This is just confusing to me.

Yes. While I'm sure your intentions are good, your confusion on this issue is quite obvious.