╌>

Migrant group demands Trump either let them in or pay them each $50G to turn around: report

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  spikegary  •  6 years ago  •  150 comments

Migrant group demands Trump either let them in or pay them each $50G to turn around: report
either let them in the U.S. or pay them $50,000 each to go home

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Two groups of Central American migrants marched to the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana on Tuesday with a list of demands, with one group delivering an ultimatum to the Trump administration: either let them in the U.S. or pay them $50,000 each to go home, a report said.

Among other demands were that deportations be halted and that asylum seekers be processed faster and in greater numbers, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

The first group of caravan members, that included about 100 migrants, arrived at the consulate around 11 a.m. Alfonso Guerreo Ulloa, an organizer from Honduras, said the $50,000 figure was chosen as a group.

“It may seem like a lot of money to you,” Ulloa told the paper. “But it is a small sum compared to everything the United States has stolen from Honduras.”

He said the money would allow the migrants to return home and start a small business.

A letter from the group criticized U.S. intervention in Central America and asked the U.S. to remove Honduran President Orlando Hernandez from office. They gave the consulate 72 hours to respond.

A letter from the second group of about 50 migrants arrived at the consulate around 1:20 p.m. asking the U.S. to speed up the asylum process and to admit up to 300 asylum seekers each day at the San Ysidro Port of Entry in San Diego. Currently, around 40 to 100 are admitted.

“In the meantime, families, women and children who have fled our countries continue to suffer and the civil society of Tijuana continue to be forced to confront this humanitarian crisis, a refugee crisis caused in great part by decades of U.S. intervention in Central America,” the letter states.

Of the roughly 6,000 migrants who’ve traveled from Central America to Tijuana, around 700 have returned home, 300 have been deported and 2,500 have applied for humanitarian visas in Mexico, according to Xochtil Castillo, a caravan member who met with Mexican officials Tuesday.

Others have either crossed into the U.S. illegally, moved to other parts of Mexico or have fallen through the cracks, the Union-Tribune said.

“A lot of people are leaving because there is no solution here,” said Douglas Matute, 38, of Tijuana. “We thought they would let us in. But Trump sent the military instead of social workers.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Spikegary    6 years ago

From trying to come in, now to demanding money to go home.  Not sure exactly why they think we owe them money or a home.  We do not.  Why not spend their time and energy changing the country they live in?  Burning American flags for the media is not exactly a way to go if you expect to be welcomed with open arms.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    6 years ago

When i didn't see the satire tag i clicked the link expecting to see an Onion piece but alas ...... this isn't satire.

The ill intentions of many in this group are slowly coming into the light.

50k?   I wonder how they came up with that number.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1  mocowgirl  replied to  Sparty On @2    6 years ago
I wonder how they came up with that number.

According to the seed, the migrants believe that it is enough money for them to go back to Honduras and start their own business.  According to their own words, these migrants are demanding entry into the US to work.  They do not qualify for political asylum.  They are just demanding that they don't have to go through the legal process and wait their turn getting green cards.

I suspect that many, if not most, already have family residing in the US.  The decades of catch and release has created an attitude of entitlement among illegal immigrants.  The citizens of Central America seem to believe that the citizens of the US have stolen from them and now owe them a living in their own countries and in the US. 

I believe it is in the best interests of US citizens to find out who is responsible for telling the Central Americans that US citizens are responsible for employing and feeding the world.

“It may seem like a lot of money to you,” Ulloa told the paper. “But it is a small sum compared to everything the United States has stolen from Honduras.” He said the money would allow the migrants to return home and start a small business.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1    6 years ago

Regardless of their individual situations, I believe it to be simple extortion.  

Nothing more, nothing less.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    6 years ago

Yeah, it is extortion all right.  Mexico won't pay for The Wall so the Trump will extort the US Taxpayers for funding on a project that will never happen.  Except that funding will be stolen by 'the swamp' the Trumpism thing dwells in. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  mocowgirl  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    6 years ago
Regardless of their individual situations, I believe it to be simple extortion. 

I agree 100%.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.2    6 years ago

The federal government securing our borders is not extortion.   Its a constitutionally required security function of our government.

People demanding 50k at our border or else? 

Pure, 100% extortion.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Jasper2529  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1    6 years ago
The citizens of Central America seem to believe that the citizens of the US have stolen from them and now owe them a living in their own countries and in the US. 
I believe it is in the best interests of US citizens to find out who is responsible for telling the Central Americans that US citizens are responsible for employing and feeding the world.

Possibly the same radical Hispanic groups (Aztlan, La Raza, MEChA) that tell other Hispanics that the USA "stole" Mexican land during the Mexican-American War (1846–1848)  and won't tell them that the USA paid Mexico for the land through the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.

There's also Pueblo Sin Fronteras.

To  build solidarity bridges among peoples  and  turn down border walls imposed by greed.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.6  1stwarrior  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.5    6 years ago

Mexico was Spanish 'til 1810.  Then it was ruled as a monarchy 'til 1824.  It became the United Mexican States with the drafting of a Republican Constitution in 1824.  The First Empire and First Republic followed from 1824 - 1836.  The Second Empire and Second Republic followed from 1836 - 1867.  The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848 gave the U. S. 1/3 of Mexico's lands north of the Border which included California, New Mexico and parts of Texas.  The Gadsden Purchase gave the U. S. the territories of Arizona and SW New Mexico in 1854.

Just FYI.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  Sunshine  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.5    6 years ago

In the early 1800's, the Mexican government begged Americans to migrate and settle their lands in Texas.  The settlers had to learn to speak Spanish, convert to Catholicism, and become Mexican citizens to get land grants, but when the Mexican government demanded they give up their weapons that was going too far and trouble started brewing. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  mocowgirl  replied to  Sunshine @2.1.7    6 years ago
the Mexican government demanded they give up their weapons that was going too far and trouble started brewing. 

Actually, the Mexican government demanding the settlers give up their slaves was also an area of contention.

The   history of slavery in Texas , as a colonial territory, later   Republic   in 1836, and   U.S. state   in 1845, had begun slowly, as the Spanish did not rely on it for labor during their years in   Spanish Texas . The use of   slavery   expanded in the mid-nineteenth century as   British-American   settlers from the   Southeastern United States   crossed the   Mississippi River   and brought slaves with them.   Slavery   was present in   Spanish America   and   Mexico   prior to the arrival of American settlers, but it was not highly developed.

The issue of slavery became a source of contention between the Anglo-American (called that because they spoke English) settlers and Spanish governors. The governors feared the growth in the Anglo-American population in Texas, and for various reasons, by the early 19th century, they and their superiors in Mexico City disapproved of expanding slavery. In 1829 the   Guerrero   decree conditionally abolished slavery throughout Mexican territories. It was a decision that increased tensions with slaveholders among the Anglo-Americans.

After the   Texas Revolution   ended in 1836, the   Constitution of the Republic of Texas   made slavery legal. The   General Provisions   of the Constitution forbade any slave owner from freeing his slaves without the consent of Congress and forbade Congress from making any law that restricted the slave trade or emancipated slaves.

Americans of European extraction and slaves contributed greatly to the population growth in the   Republic   and   State of Texas .  

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1.9  Sunshine  replied to  mocowgirl @2.1.8    6 years ago

Interesting isn't it.  Mexico was having problems with the Commanchies so they solicit Americans to settle land hoping they would solve that problem, because they where to weak to do it themselves.  

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.2  TTGA  replied to  Sparty On @2    6 years ago
50k?   I wonder how they came up with that number.

Here's a couple of numbers you might be interested in Sparty.  Every time a soldier uses a round of ammunition to dissuade an "asylum seeker" from entering the country illegally (or fixing the problem permanently), that round costs the government approximately $.35; thus saving the United States  taxpayers $49,999.65.  Interesting problem in economics.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    6 years ago

So the so-called ……… "Nice "migrant" folks"...….are really extortionists !

I'd let them in this country /s !

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
3.1  mocowgirl  replied to  It Is ME @3    6 years ago
So the so-called ……… "Nice "migrant" folks"...….are really extortionists !

As is their government.

The Honduran president is cautiously implying that the country may be forced to turn to China for development if the US government does not give them more money.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-honduras-politics/honduras-president-laments-u-s-aid-cuts-eyes-role-of-china-idUSKCN1M42R6 

Under a scheme to strengthen Central America launched in 2014 known as the Plan of the Alliance for Prosperity in the Northern Triangle, the United States pledged to put forward a dollar for every four invested by Honduras, Hernandez said.

But that commitment has not materialized, he added.

“That will obviously have repercussions,” he told Reuters. “Because the whole idea of the Alliance for Prosperity ... was to attack the migration problem at the root.”

Between 2016 and 2018, combined U.S. foreign aid for Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador declined by more than one third to $195 million, according to official U.S. data.

Adding to the challenges facing the region, the Trump administration announced earlier this year it would end temporary immigration protection for tens of thousands of Hondurans and Salvadorans living in the United States.

Meanwhile, China is strengthening ties with Central America.

Last month, El Salvador broke off diplomatic relations with Taiwan in favor of China, citing economic reasons and following on the heels of Panama in 2017.

Honduras is one of a dwindling number of countries that still has formal diplomatic ties with Taiwan.

Hernandez said China’s growing diplomatic presence posed a “quandary” for the region, but also “an opportunity for all,” provided there are “clear rules.” Other countries would likely follow the lead of El Salvador and Panama soon, he added.

“We see that things are changing in Central America. I think the United States has been a bit late to see it,” he said.

When asked whether Honduras would switch to China, the president gave a careful answer on what the future held.

“We’re still with Taiwan. Each country follows the principle of self-determination, that it can make its own decisions,” he said. “For the time being, we’re betting on a commercial relationship with Taiwan, a window to enter the Asian market.”

PJ
Masters Quiet
4  PJ    6 years ago

I searched for a more reliable source for this story and found NONE.  That isn't to say that everything in the article is false.  I completely agree with the determiners used.

With that said, I'll wait for a "real" news source to report out on this story.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago

That makes good sense.  

If and when this story is vetted to be true your next question should be why didn't you find it anywhere else?

??

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @4.1    6 years ago
'If and when this story is vetted to be true your next question should be why didn't you find it anywhere else?'

That should be when and 'if' true - the source is Faux 'news'.  

So I would take that as a 'It's not true' and wouldn't find it anywhere else because 'It's not true'.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @4.1    6 years ago

For those incapable or just flat-out refusing to do any research on their own:

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/migrants-march-to-us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aKuLm98Dps

News about Migrant Caravan Demands
bing.com/news

Among other demands were that deportations be halted and that asylum seekers be processed faster and in gr…
Fox News · 1h

Members of Migrant Caravan Demand $50,000 Each From U.S. Consulate to Return H…
National Review · 2h

Migrant Caravan: Let Us in or Give Each of Us $50,000 to Turn Around and Go Home
Newsweek · 6h

How the Migrant Caravan

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.1    6 years ago
So I would take that as a 'It's not true'

Yes you would and like usual in matters such as this you will likely be proven wrong once again.

This example of "non-reporting" is just one more piece of empirical evidence at how biased the mass media has become these days.   Trump allegedly gets two scoops of ice cream instead of the expected one and its immediately breaking news all over the mass media.  

This story?   Not so much.

Hilariously sad!

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.1.4  Willjay9  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    6 years ago

Really? 100 people out of 6000! So because 100 nutjobs came up with a ridiculous scheme you're going to blame the entire group? So can I safely say that all Republicans are racists now?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Willjay9 @4.1.4    6 years ago

Many progressive liberals have been doing it for years.

All one has to do is read what is posted here almost daily.

NOW you want something different??

LMFAO!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago

I'm truly amazed, with your skill, knowledge and intelligence you couldn't find any other story to confirm this one.  I actually spent almost 6 seconds searching and found this:

From the San Diego Union-Tribune.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.2.1  PJ  replied to  Spikegary @4.2    6 years ago

Well....to be honest.  I really just like pushing your buttons.  It's super easy and the return is endless.  

If the story is accurate, I am not a fan of being held hostage with demands.

On the other hand, this Administration is in violation of the law.  They should not be blocking entry ways.  Just my opinion.  I think we're smart enough to figure this out and improve the immigration nightmare without these thug like tactics.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Spikegary @4.2    6 years ago

Ya beat me to it!  jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  Jasper2529  replied to  PJ @4.2.1    6 years ago
this Administration is in violation of the law.  They should not be blocking entry ways. 

Every sovereign nation has the right to block its entry points and protect its borders. Don't believe me? Try entering Mexico without paperwork, make demands that it lets you in, and see what they'll do to you.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @4.2.1    6 years ago
On the other hand, this Administration is in violation of the law. They should not be blocking entry ways.

If we didn't block entries, then the border would be open.

Not very good security with that crap.

jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.2.5  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  PJ @4.2.1    6 years ago
I really just like pushing your buttons. 

If you're going to start making sexual references...........

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.2.6  PJ  replied to  Spikegary @4.2.5    6 years ago

Me?  nah - I would never do that.  It would be off topic and seeder would flag me.  jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.2.7  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.4    6 years ago

OMG - I think you're being intentionally obtuse Tex.  I'm not advocating for nilly willy entry.  There are specific border crossing locations that these immigrants are attempting to approach so that they may LEGALLY request asylum.  

Further, I've always been an advocate for stronger immigration laws including the white people that can afford to come by plane.  Sadly, this Administration and it's supporters close their eyes to those immigrants who look more like them......

We need to revamp ALL of our immigration policies.  Not just the ones that lean more towards the brown people.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.2.8  PJ  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.2.3    6 years ago

Did I say we MUST let them in?  Did I say that?  No, I did not but I did say we need to follow our current law or change it.  We are a CIVILIZED country and we have laws that keep us civilized.  When we start throwing out laws that a specific faction of our citizens decide they don't like without going through the proper channels and changing the law then we become like the very countries that these immigrants are fleeing from.

Think about that.  Think about how we are becoming more and more like the uncivilized, chaotic, undemocratic countries that we used to despise.  I never thought we'd look to them as a model of how to run a country.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.2.9  1stwarrior  replied to  PJ @4.2.7    6 years ago

PJ - the folks crossing the borders illegally are not all "brown" people.

According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the countries of origin for the largest numbers of illegal immigrants are as follows (latest of 2017):

Country of origin Raw number Percent of total
Mexico 6,640,000 55
El Salvador 700,000 6
Guatemala 640,000 5
India 430,000 4
Honduras 400,000 3
Philippines 360,000 3
China 270,000 2
Korea 250,000 2
Vietnam 200,000 2
Dominican Republic 180,000 1
Other 2,050,000 17

The   Urban Institute   also estimates "between 65,000 and 75,000 Canadians currently live illegally in the United States."

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.2.10  1stwarrior  replied to  PJ @4.2.8    6 years ago

And, sadly, if we didn't have our "undemocratic" Democrats crying for "open borders", we wouldn't be in this mess.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.2.11  PJ  replied to  1stwarrior @4.2.10    6 years ago

1st - I have not heard of any democratic leaders calling for open borders.  That is a myth and a Trump talking point.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.2.12  PJ  replied to  1stwarrior @4.2.10    6 years ago

Also, another point I wanted to make on this subject.  There have been plenty of people who have exploited these workers including Mr. Trump.  

Let's not pretend that the immigration problem is only a border problem.  It is far more complex then that.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.13  Jasper2529  replied to  PJ @4.2.11    6 years ago
I have not heard of any democratic leaders calling for open borders.  That is a myth and a Trump talking point.

What do you think Pelosi meant when she said that a border wall is immoral and ineffective? Start at 1:45 on this video - in her own words:

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.14  mocowgirl  replied to  PJ @4.2.12    6 years ago
There have been plenty of people who have exploited these workers including Mr. Trump.  

Exploiting workers is wrong regardless of who does it.

E-verify should be mandatory.  Fines for employers should be mandatory.  Deportation of anyone who buys or sells fake IDs to illegal immigrants should be mandatory.

There are numerous ways to make the immigration problem far less complex.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.2.15  PJ  replied to  mocowgirl @4.2.14    6 years ago

I agree

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.2.16  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  PJ @4.2.6    6 years ago

Well, there's flags, and then there are flags.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.2.19  PJ  replied to    6 years ago

That's not true.  They have NEVER advocated for open borders.  They don't seem to talk about solutions or alternatives to the wall but they've NEVER advocated for open borders.  

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.2.20  Nowhere Man  replied to  mocowgirl @4.2.14    6 years ago
Exploiting workers is wrong regardless of who does it.

E-verify should be mandatory.  Fines for employers should be mandatory.  Deportation of anyone who buys or sells fake IDs to illegal immigrants should be mandatory.

There are numerous ways to make the immigration problem far less complex.

Sounds like Reagan's immigration/jobs policy when the democrats extracted amnesty out of him......

Guess what, the Democrats blocked it by refusing to fund it....

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.2.21  mocowgirl  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.2.20    6 years ago
Guess what,

This is a bipartisan issue. 

There are amnesty supporters in both parties.  

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.2.22  Willjay9  replied to  Spikegary @4.2    6 years ago

Um dude.....thats the exact same source as this seed!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.23  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @4.2.7    6 years ago
We need to revamp ALL of our immigration policies. Not just the ones that lean more towards the brown people.

Why?

What, besides enforcement, is wrong with the current laws?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.2.24  Nowhere Man  replied to  mocowgirl @4.2.21    6 years ago
This is a bipartisan issue.  There are amnesty supporters in both parties.  

Very True no argument.

But I was talking in the historical reference frame when Reagan negotiated the deal it was a democrat controlled congress and funding was decided along partisan lines....

Hence the Democrats blocked it is the truth..... (back then)

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.3  Jasper2529  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago
I searched for a more reliable source for this story and found NONE.  That isn't to say that everything in the article is false.  I completely agree with the determiners used.
With that said, I'll wait for a "real" news source to report out on this story.

Do you actually believe that the MSM would jump at the chance to publish an article that would completely destroy their SJW narrative? I'm not at all surprised that all far left media has ignored this. Here are some articles that support the FNC article. I hope that they're "reliable" enough for you:

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.3.1  PJ  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.3    6 years ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif  Please don't tell me that you don't think FOX doesn't spin things to the far right?  

For those of us (me) who really try to remain independent, the source is important.  I automatically react negatively whenever FOX is cited as the driving source of a negative story that has an agenda to push division.  

I wish more people could be as responsible.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.3.3  PJ  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.3.2    6 years ago

I already do BF.  I pay taxes that supports all sorts of free shit.  I'm not someone who likes to give my money away but I'm also not heartless or selective.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.3.5  PJ  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.3.4    6 years ago

Maybe GM can give each family a vehicle and they can drive back to the GM plant for a job.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.3.7  PJ  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.3.6    6 years ago

So might talking fish.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
4.3.8  Old Hermit  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.3.4    6 years ago
But each one of them needs $50,000. Are you willing to pay more in Tax to provide this to them?

Cheaper than pissing away 25 billion dollars on the boondoggle of an ineffective wall. 

If the $50K to go away and start over back in their own country was a real thing then the outlay would be a much better return for tax dollars spent, if one just weighs the pros & cons of tax dollars wasted on a wall Vs being used to improve hell holes of poverty and violence that most of these folks are running from.

Just saying, in a snarky sort of way only of course.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.3.9  1stwarrior  replied to  Old Hermit @4.3.8    6 years ago

Lemme see - $50K per person x 100 = $5M.  So, OK, the precedent is set.  Now the remaining 7,700 want their $50K = $38.5B.  Then all the other "asylum" seekers get the word and the figure of 17M x's $50K = $850B - nah - not in our budget.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.3.10  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  PJ @4.3.7    6 years ago

But, but, but......I've seen movies (well, Disney) with talking fish....

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.3.11  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Old Hermit @4.3.8    6 years ago

Interesting concept, hike to the border, get $50K and go home.  Could be a cottage industry there, but where does it end?  How many will get theirs then sneak across anyway?

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
4.3.12  Old Hermit  replied to  1stwarrior @4.3.9    6 years ago
$850B - nah - not in our budget.

Money for a 2 thousand mile Southern Border wall, is a completely stupid, unnecessary waste of tax payer dollars and would be a grossly obscene drain on our budget.

Here’s What We Know About Trump’s Mexico Wall

The border is almost 2,000 miles long, two-thirds of which tracks the Rio Grande River.

Land along the border cuts through cities, including San Ysidro, California, and El Paso, Texas, as well as rural farmland, desert, arroyos, craggy mountains and wildlife reserves. The border features an array of existing fencing, more than 30 border patrol stations and 25 legal ports of entry.

How much would it cost to build Trump’s wall?
Estimates range from $8 billion to $67 billion, depending on whom you ask.

Trump estimates that the wall can be built for a figure ranging from $8 billion to $12 billion, and his first budget requests up to $2.6 billion in fiscal 2018 toward planning, designing and building it.

Congressional Republicans said they expect it would cost from $12 billion to $15 billion, based on what it cost to build existing border fencing.

According to Reuters, an internal Department of Homeland Security report said the wall could cost up to $21.6 billion.

Independent estimates have been much higher. A study published in the MIT Technology Review said a 1,000-mile wall would cost from $27 billion to $40 billion. The study estimated $8.7 billion for concrete, $4.6 billion for steel and labor costs at $14 billion to $27 billion. Separately, Bernstein Research calculated $15 billion to $25 billion for labor, land acquisition and construction costs.

In a March presentation to the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, officials from Customs and Border Patrol indicated that Trump’s FY 2018 budget would request approximately $2.6 billion to construct fewer than 75 miles of new border wall , according to a release from U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill’s office.

The release said that “if the per-mile costs in the 2018 budget request are extrapolated, t he barrier often described by the President would come in at a cost of $66.9 billion .” (Plus $150 million a year to maintain)

Now, a long term commitment of Israeli level aid into the areas these folk are fleeing would be budget worthy and a good use of our soft power in problem solving.

U.S. Aid to Israel Totals $233.7b Over Six Decades

The United States has provided Israel with $233.7 billion in aid ‏(after adjusting for inflation‏) since the state was formed in 1948 through the end of last year, research by The Marker has found. In nominal terms, total American aid was $112 billion over the years, according to data that appears on the website of the U.S. Congress.

Don't get me wrong.  Those yahoos sitting on the border asking for money to go home are being ridiculous.

Almost as ridiculous as we would be if we were wasting our money on Trumps wall.

However, addressing the refugee problem by spending aid money south of our border makes sense and has precedence in our history.  Israel and all the nations helped by the Marshal plan are examples of aid money well spent.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.3.14  Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ @4.3.1    6 years ago
I automatically react negatively.....

You do know that such is pretty much considered absolute bias?

Exact same thing as saying I automatically react negatively when I see a black man.....

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.3.15  Willjay9  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.3    6 years ago

Umm...all your link uses the same source as this seed....read them they use the exact same words!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.3.16  Jasper2529  replied to  Willjay9 @4.3.15    6 years ago
all your link uses the same source as this seed....read them they use the exact same words!

None of those articles quote FNC. Epic fail, willjay9.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.3.17  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.3.14    6 years ago

NWM - That's a huge stretch.    

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.3.18  Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ @4.3.17    6 years ago

Not in my book it isn't, to me it's the exact same thing.....

Logically it works like this.....

I cannot be an anti-bigot on one issue (black skin) and be a bigot on another (philosophical beliefs)

There is no such thing as automatic prejudice. The word prejudice in and of itself describes the act of pre-judging. and in every dictionary I've consulted judging is making a choice.

Are you prejudiced politically? yes, just as much as I am at least, and we both have what we consider our logical reasons. But neither of us are particularly bigoted just the fact we like each other despite our plain prejudices is a perfect example of our non-bigoted beliefs....

So please don't ever intimate your a bigot cause you are not....

And automatic prejudice is bigotry.....

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.3.19  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Spikegary @4.3.10    6 years ago

Best talking fish movie ever....The Incredible Mr. Limpet (not Disney).

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.3.20  Nowhere Man  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.3.19    6 years ago
Best talking fish movie ever....The Incredible Mr. Limpet (not Disney).

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Warner Bros. Starring Don Knotts, 1964

If there is interest I'll post it....

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.3.21  Willjay9  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.3.16    6 years ago

Umm...never said it did! Read your links, they all use the same ONE source!......FAIL REVERSED!

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.4  zuksam  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago
I searched for a more reliable source for this story and found NONE.

This Story doesn't help support the Leftwing Media's Narrative so they'll just skip it.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.4.1  PJ  replied to  zuksam @4.4    6 years ago

You cannot make a blind man see.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.4.3  PJ  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.4.2    6 years ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.4.5  PJ  replied to    6 years ago

Did you all of the sudden become a politically correct activist?  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    6 years ago

What is SJW?

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @5    6 years ago

I have heard,  Social Justice Warrior, whatever that is , 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  charger 383 @5.1    6 years ago

Simpering Juvenile Wimps would be more apropos.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5.2  lady in black  replied to  Tessylo @5    6 years ago

Social Justice Warrior

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.3  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @5    6 years ago
What is SJW?

S.... illy

J....amolt

W....hiner

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @5.3    6 years ago

What's a Jamolt?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @5.3    6 years ago

You may need to type slower as to not confuse anyone.

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.3.3  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.2    6 years ago
You may need to type slower as to not confuse anyone.

I tried ! 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @5.3.3    6 years ago

Perhaps we just need to post definitions for every single word we type so they will know what is being discussed?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.3.5  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @5.3.1    6 years ago

A "Funny" word that begins with the letter "J" !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.3.6  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @5.3.5    6 years ago

No such word.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.3.7  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @5.3.3    6 years ago

No need for definitions of made up words.  Duh.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.8  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @5.3.5    6 years ago

Tsk, tsk 

tsk tsk
[tisk tisk]

EXCLAMATION
expressing disapproval or annoyance.
"you of all people, Goldie—tsk, tsk"
VERB
make such an exclamation.

You

you
[yo͞o, yə]

PRONOUN
used to refer to the person or people that the speaker is addressing.
"are you listening?" · [more]
used to refer to the person being addressed together with other people regarded in the same class.
"you Australians"
used in exclamations to address one or more people.
"you fools" · [more]
used to refer to any person in general.
"after a w

know
[nō]

VERB
be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information.
"most people know that CFCs can damage the ozone layer" · [more]
synonyms:
be aware · realize · be conscious · have knowledge · be informed · [more]
have knowledge or information concerning.
"I would write to him if I knew his address" · [more]
synonyms:
have knowledge of · be aware of · be cognizant of · [more]
be absolutely certain or sure about something.
"I just knew it was something I wanted to do" · [more]
have developed a relationship with (someone) through meeting and spending time with them; be familiar or friendly with.
"he knew and respected Laura"
synonyms:
be acquainted with · have met · be familiar with · be friends with · [more]

hile, you get used to it"

Better

bet·ter
[ˈbedər]

ADJECTIVE
of a more excellent or effective type or quality.
"hoping for better weather" · [more]
synonyms:
superior · finer · of higher quality · greater · in a different class · [more]
partly or fully recovered from illness, injury, or mental stress; less unwell.
"his leg was getting better" · [more]
synonyms:
healthier · fitter · stronger · less ill · well · cured · healed · recovered · [more]
ADVERB
more excellently or effectively.
"Johnny could do better if he tried" · [more]
synonyms:
to a higher standard · in a superior/finer way
NOUN
the better one; that which is better.
"the Natural History Museum book is by far the better of the two" · [more]
dated
humorous
(one's betters)
one's superiors in social class or ability.
"amusing themselves by imitating their betters"
VERB
improve on or surpass (an existing or previous level or achievement).
"bettering his previous time by ten minutes"
synonyms:
surpass · improve on · beat · exceed · excel · top · cap · trump · eclipse · [more]

PJ
Masters Quiet
5.3.9  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.4    6 years ago

I think that's a great idea!  Can you share the meaning of Covfefe.

PJ
Masters Quiet
5.3.11  PJ  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.3.10    6 years ago

I KNEW IT!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.12  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @5.3.9    6 years ago
I think that's a great idea! Can you share the meaning of Covfefe.

And deny you the unmistakable pleasure of looking it up for yourself?

Not a chance I would deny you that!

jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

PJ
Masters Quiet
5.3.13  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @5.3.12    6 years ago

BF already told me all about it being a secret coded word from Trump to the Russians.  Nothing worse than a fish who can't keep his mouth shut.  At least I think I've finally figured out what type of fish BF is, a bigmouth buffalo.  jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

220px-Ictiobus_cyprinellus.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.3.14  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @5.3.13    6 years ago

Ah! 

So you have been enlightened by the Fish!

Good show!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.3.15  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @5.3.6    6 years ago

Jamook - someone who is clumsy or anti-loquacious, but altogether endearing nonetheless

zuksam
Junior Silent
7  zuksam    6 years ago

“We thought they would let us in. But Trump sent the military instead of social workers.”  That's what is needed when Hoards of Invaders are threatening to cross the Border.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8  bbl-1    6 years ago

Quite obvious the Russian propaganda machine is still operating and has willing 'subjects' within US borders.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
8.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  bbl-1 @8    6 years ago

Why are you coming here and insulting people instead of discussing the seed?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.2.1  bbl-1  replied to  Spikegary @8.2    6 years ago

Ah yes.  lol.

charger 383
Professor Silent
9  charger 383    6 years ago

Some time ago, I said they wanted our stuff 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @9    6 years ago

You were wrong then and now 

charger 383
Professor Silent
9.1.1  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @9.1    6 years ago

and they still act like feral cats

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @9.1.1    6 years ago

Why not just call them vermin?  Oh, I forgot, that's another posters' inhumane contribution.   

Yours is wild animals. 

Well done

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2  Texan1211  replied to  charger 383 @9    6 years ago

Amazingly, even with the evidence right in front of their noses, some will deny that they are coming here for anything other than asylum.

Denial runs strong!

LMFAO

PJ
Masters Quiet
10  PJ    6 years ago

Okay....I'm exhausted trying to keep up as the minority representative on this seed in knocking down the walls of misinformation.  I'm going to have to take a siesta for a little bit.  

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
12  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

What a completely dopey article.  Who would take this seriously?  Oh, wait.  Never mind. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.2  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @12    6 years ago
What a completely dopey article. Who would take this seriously? Oh, wait. Never mind.

What do you find dopey about the article? Do you think it is fake news or something?

Or do you find it dopey that some still are claiming these poor, poor "refugees" are coming here seeking asylum?

Junior Participates
12.2.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @12.2    6 years ago
Or do you find it dopey that some still are claiming these poor, poor "refugees" are coming here seeking asylum?

Dopey in the sense that anyone who'd actually take the idea of this "demand" of $50k to go home seriously are seriously delusional.  

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
12.2.2  Nowhere Man  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @12.2.1    6 years ago
Dopey in the sense that anyone who'd actually take the idea of this "demand" of $50k to go home seriously

Well, they DID make the demand I mean there is all the proof in the world that they did.... I don't think anyone is seriously considering giving it to them.....

So I really don't think anyone is taking it seriously.... except to laugh at it.....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @12.2.1    6 years ago

Almost as delusional as those claiming they are all refugees!

Junior Participates
12.2.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Nowhere Man @12.2.2    6 years ago
Well, they DID make the demand I mean there is all the proof in the world that they did.

And you take it seriously?  Serious, man, that's just beyond silly.  Is there no absurdity about immigration that you won't swallow whole? 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
12.2.5  Nowhere Man  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @12.2.4    6 years ago

Nowhere Man said @ 12.2.2

I don't think anyone is seriously considering giving it to them.....

So I really don't think anyone is taking it seriously.... except to laugh at it.....

You musta missed this part of my comment......

But then we do know this was a deliberate missing intended to take a completely vacous and incorrect pot shot at me specifically wasn't it?

charger 383
Professor Silent
13  charger 383    6 years ago

Who still wants to let them in after hearing this?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
15  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

LOL. If I weren't afraid of being shot I would get on a slow boat from China to America and demand that I be given a place to live, welfare and medical coverage OR ELSE demand that America pay my way back to China with US$50,000. That would convert to 300,000 Yuan and would pay for opening up my "Buzzy's Western All-Day Breakfasts" restaurant.  I'm great at making banana-blueberry pancakes, French toast, ham and cheese omelettes, deli-style eggs 'n onions, scrambled eggs with bacon or sausages, smoked salmon on cream-cheese covered bagels, Australian oatmeal with walnut powder, brown sugar, bird eggs, wolfberries and banana slices, etc.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
15.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15    6 years ago

Do you have an online menu?

Don't laugh, atone point i almost half way considered southern border route for Julia and Irina.

What we have seen is that path gets you in front of everyone else who has followed the rules. Maybe the has changed with how the observed processing is working now. It don't know. It's a possibility.

That method would negate the occasional trip back to their home country to satsify some AH bureaucrats and save me from turning from Dr. Jeckil to Mr. Hyde while they spend their periodic 6 to 8 weeks away from home.

In the end, I am simply no longer physically capable of what I once was and there is no way I could smuggle my 2 choice revolvers to escort them through the southern route and through our border that few years ago.

Though very frustrating, it is always best to follow the rules.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
15.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @15.1    6 years ago

No online menu - I haven't made it a business.  My breakfasts are my relief from everyday Chinese food, and sometimes my wife eats the breakfasts I make.  However, I have posted my recipes for Banana-blueberry pancakes and Simple French toast on John Russell's 6 Ingredients or Less group here on NT.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
16  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Thank you Buzz. It was a tongue in cheek question.

Though, to be honest, should you open such a restaurant, I would not be surprised if you were busy breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
16.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @16    6 years ago

LOL. "Tongue-in-cheek" was the perfect expression for the subject.

Fran's Restaurant in Toronto was very successful in serving an all-day breakfast - many good menu choices, and I particularly liked the Corned beef hash with eggs.  I can't get corned beef here.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
17  Ed-NavDoc    6 years ago

Lots of cojones on their part. Totally idiotic and unrealistic, but still lots cojones.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
17.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @17    6 years ago

We call it "chutzpah".