╌>

General Keane: Turkish incursion into Syria would force Kurds to flee, freeing captured ISIS members (via Fox news)

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  61 comments

General Keane:  Turkish incursion into Syria would force Kurds to flee, freeing captured ISIS members (via Fox news)
Keane called that situation a "recipe for disaster."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Screen Shot - Fox News

Retired U.S. Army Gen. Jack Keane warned a military incursion into Syria by Turkey could cause the American-ally Kurds to flee, leaving thousands of  ISIS  prisoners unguarded.

Keane told Martha MacCallum Tuesday on " The Story " the situation has been "evolving" since  President Trump announced a pull-out of troops from Syria, which critics said could lead to regional instability.

"It is evolving [and] it's unfortunate that we were not unequivocal with [Turkish President Recep] Erdogan and his regime about a military incursion into Syria -- and particularly targeted against the Kurds who are obviously our partners in defeating ISIS.

A regional ethnic group long friendly to the United States and aiding in its military moves against terrorist groups like ISIS, the Kurdish people live in an area that includes parts of Syria, Iran, Iraq and Turkey.

Related: Under Erdogan, Turkey has jailed more journalists than any other country in the world

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Retired U.S. Army Gen. Jack Keane warned a military incursion into Syria by Turkey could cause the American-ally Kurds to flee, leaving thousands of ISIS   prisoners unguarded.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    5 years ago
Iran Holds Military Drills Near Turkey,

Tells It to Stop Syria Attack

As Russia Accuses U.S. of 'Dangerous Game

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.1    5 years ago

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-eye-us-syria-iran-warn-turkey-1463909?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=Partnerships_related

The plot thickens...

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

My God be with the Kurds.......  They deserve so much better than this.  Their blood is on Trump's hands.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1  MrFrost  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3    5 years ago

My God be with the Kurds.......  They deserve so much better than this.  Their blood is on Trump's hands.

True. The Kurds have been a long time staunch ally of the USA, and trumpturd just shit on them. What a completely worthless asshat. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  MrFrost @3.1    5 years ago

Even Russia is criticizing Trump

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    5 years ago

The attack is underway. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    5 years ago

So trump is now supporting ISIS over our own allies. Worst president in history. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6  Nerm_L    5 years ago

Then Turkey (and, by extension, NATO) becomes a sponsor of terrorism.  Why aren't European generals pledging to send troops to northern Syria to stop an incursion by a European ally?  Why is it necessary for the United States to cover Europe's backside again?

Europe has obviously supported the Kurds by providing arms and training; the Kurds are a European ally, too.  Maybe it's time for France and Germany to actually get in the game.  The UK could provide troops, as well, since the UK bears a lot of responsibility for screwing up the Levant.  Maybe it's time for Europe to clean up it's own mess.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1  MrFrost  replied to  Nerm_L @6    5 years ago
Why is it necessary for the United States to cover Europe's backside again?

They are our allies, (well, probably not anymore) and we have the largest military on the planet BY FAR. Also, we are bound to protect them by treaty. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  MrFrost @6.1    5 years ago
They are our allies, (well, probably not anymore) and we have the largest military on the planet BY FAR. Also, we are bound to protect them by treaty. 

Which 'they' are you referring to?  The United States has pledged to support NATO, by treaty, and Turkey is a member of NATO.  This is an issue that needs to be resolved by NATO; not by the United States alone.

France requested assistance from the United States for its attack on Libya citing the NATO alliance.  Turkey is also a member of NATO.  So, which treaty and which ally is the United States supposed to support in northern Syria?  Should the United States throw NATO under the bus and protect the Kurds?  Or should the United States show support for NATO by not becoming involved?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Nerm_L @6.1.1    5 years ago

So as NATO members, we should render aid, yes? 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @6.1    5 years ago

Where do you get this BS from? Our allies are supposed to be able to defend themselves. In case you haven't heard, we are not supposed to be the world's damn policeman!

Problem is Europe/NATO do not want to defend themselves. They like the US wasting lives and resources doing what they don't want to do. Then they can stick it to the US in lopsided trade deals.

Our "allies" need to pull their damn weight for a change.

There is no reason NATO (minus the US for once) cannot send troops into Syria to protect the Kurds. What they don't have a couple of thousand troops to spare? Along with the air force to provide air cover?  NATO should also be bringing pressure on Turkey by threatening to revoke their membership. But not a peep.

Seems the EU/NATO likes Turkey as a partner and is willing to stay silent. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1.3    5 years ago

[deleted]

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.1.5  Nerm_L  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.2    5 years ago
So as NATO members, we should render aid, yes? 

The United States is not the only NATO country with military capability.  Why isn't Europe mobilizing military assets to assist the United States in confronting Turkey?  Why should the United States carry NATO's burden alone?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @6.1.4    5 years ago

Off Topic (per author/seeder) [Perrie Halpern R.A.]

In case you hadn't noticed (a given by the "Delete" thingy) , I was responding to comment #6.1.3. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @6    5 years ago
Then Turkey (and, by extension, NATO) becomes a sponsor of terrorism.  Why aren't European generals pledging to send troops to northern Syria to stop an incursion by a European ally?  Why is it necessary for the United States to cover Europe's backside again? Europe has obviously supported the Kurds by providing arms and training; the Kurds are a European ally, too.  Maybe it's time for France and Germany to actually get in the game.  The UK could provide troops, as well, since the UK bears a lot of responsibility for screwing up the Levant.  Maybe it's time for Europe to clean up it's own mess.

And maybe..just maybe...its time for Trump to put the interests of our country...above his own personal greed?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.2.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Krishna @6.2    5 years ago
And maybe..just maybe...its time for Trump to put the interests of our country...above his own personal greed?

Why is this issue only about Trump and the United States?  Where is NATO?  Where is Europe?  Why does the responsibility to confront Turkey fall onto the United States, alone?

This incident only provides further evidence that NATO doesn't do squat for the United States.  Europe only expects the United States to fight its dirty little wars.  The time has come for the United States to seriously consider leaving NATO.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.2  It Is ME  replied to  Nerm_L @6.2.1    5 years ago
Why is this issue only about Trump and the United States?  Where is NATO?  Where is Europe?  Why does the responsibility to confront Turkey fall onto the United States, alone?

Well … Trump "IS" the only "ENEMY" these days ! jrSmiley_22_smiley_image.gif

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.2.3  Nerm_L  replied to  It Is ME @6.2.2    5 years ago
Well … Trump "IS" the only "ENEMY" these days !

And it seems American generals and war hawks in Congress are taking advantage of that to lie their way into another little dirty war.

In the past, fighting a war was a way to counteract a lot of political problems for a President.  Trump doesn't seem to be following the status quo; Trump is trying to politically fight his own generals and avoid another dirty little war.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.4  It Is ME  replied to  Nerm_L @6.2.3    5 years ago
Trump doesn't seem to be following the status quo; Trump is trying to politically fight his own generals and avoid another dirty little war.

The "Status Quo" is what the DC crowd is fighting to keep. Trump will have nothing to do with it , and neither will the ones that voted for Trump !

The "Status Quo" has gotten us into a lot of Problems over the decades !

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.3  bbl-1  replied to  Nerm_L @6    5 years ago

NATO is not a sponsor of terrorism.  That description would clearly fall on the US president who is susceptible to laudatory phone conversations with fellow autocrats.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.3.1  Nerm_L  replied to  bbl-1 @6.3    5 years ago
NATO is not a sponsor of terrorism.

Turkey is a member of NATO.  So, what is the rest of NATO going to do about Turkey forcing the Kurds to leave ISIS prisoners unguarded?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.3.2  bbl-1  replied to  Nerm_L @6.3.1    5 years ago

Erdogan is meeting with Putin today.  So much for Turkey being a NATO ally.

ISIS prisoners?   Yeah.  Many threads with this latest Trumpian proclamation.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.3.4  Ronin2  replied to    5 years ago

What, you think Putin is whispering sweet nothings in Erdogan's ear? 

He is chewing on it letting him know that Turkey will not be permitted to hold Syrian land. Think that Syria or Russia want Turkey in Northern Syria? No more than they wanted the US there.

Russia it seems is taking a stand. Unlike our EU/NATO allies that are all too busy bitching about the US finally looking out for ourselves for a change.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.3.6  Split Personality  replied to    5 years ago

Iran seems to be the one taking a stand, today.

Iranian tanks near the Turkish border.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7  JohnRussell    5 years ago
SSd1CBtm_normal.jpg
Rick Wilson
@TheRickWilson
·
1m
Make ISIS Great Again
Every single Trump enabler owns it.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @7    5 years ago
Every single Trump enabler owns it.

Obama and NATO Own it !

Obama started this "Redline" shit in Syria.....and didn't produce, not Trump !

Obama did turn things over to the Russians.....Thank Goodness ! jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  It Is ME @7.1    5 years ago

No mr. me.  The GOP congress would not permit the Obama Administration to take further action.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.1    5 years ago
The GOP congress would not permit the Obama Administration to take further action.

Link ?

I've read they just didn't hold a vote on it.

Did Obama get congressional approval to Bomb Libya for Oil ?

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @7.1    5 years ago
Obama and NATO Owns it !

Are you serious? Obama is no longer president-- how could you blame him for the pullout?

We had troops there preventing the Turks from attacking-- the fact is, Trump pulled them out and now Turkey is attacking!

(If you want to go back in history,to assess blame for the situation in the Middle East-- why stop with Obama? Why not blame Bush-- or Clinton...maybe Eisenhower? FDR? Or maybe . . . Thomas Jefferson? (and the Barbary Pirates)

How about the French-- Greater Syria was once a French Mandate? Or britain who once ruled areas there and game them independence.

Or-- why not blame The Crusaders for their role in shaping the Mid-east?

Or-- the old reliable standby-- when all else fails, blame.the Jews.

Or...Hillary!

(Heck-- why not blame the ancient Greeks? I know they were in Egypt, but I don't think they made it to Syria?)

Blame anyone in history for the current pullout of American forces that were preventing a Turkish genocide of the Kurds!!!)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.2    5 years ago

Why is Trump doing something that threatens to set thousands of terrorists free? 

I thought he didnt like ISIS. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.4    5 years ago
Why is Trump doing something that threatens to set thousands of terrorists free

That's the " Theory " put out there anyway. jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @7.1.3    5 years ago
Are you serious? Obama is no longer president-- how could you blame him for the pullout?

There can only be a "Finish" if something was "Started".

Obama started this !

Trump is Finishing it !

The bitch should be "ALL ON THE "STARTER" that couldn't "Finish" !

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.7  bbl-1  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.2    5 years ago

Link it yourself.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.7    5 years ago
Link it yourself.

Typical !

Always wanting someone else to do your "Work" ! jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
7.1.9  KDMichigan  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.7    5 years ago
Link it yourself.

Typical when asked to produce you have nothing. It was the lead from behind pussy Obama that drew a red line with water soluble marker. His dismissal of ISIS as a JV team. I just love seeing all this progressive neocons. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.6    5 years ago
There can only be a "Finish" if something was "Started".

Obama started this !

Trump is Finishing it !

The bitch should be "ALL ON THE "STARTER" that couldn't "Finish" !

I take it that logic is not your favorite thing. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
7.1.11  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.10    5 years ago

Coming from you that's Hillaryious

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.1.12  bbl-1  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.8    5 years ago

Look mr. me.  McConnel stated that they would stop everything Obama tried.  They did. 

I am not going to put up congressional records for you.  You want them, get them yourself.  Dare not truth mean anything, right?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.13  It Is ME  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.12    5 years ago
You want them, get them yourself.

Still looking for "ME" to do YOUR Job ?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.14  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.10    5 years ago

Quick …... Define LOGIC !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.2    5 years ago

Here is President Obama meeting with the republicans.  

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
7.1.16  KDMichigan  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.15    5 years ago
Here is President Obama meeting with the republicans.  

The spineless coward never did, The only thing he accomplished in 8 years was passing laws for perverts to go into girls bathrooms. The shit stain Obama sure like to say me, me, me, I, I, I, when reading from a teleprompter though.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.17  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.15    5 years ago

hahahaha ….hahaha.....haha....ha..... hmmmmmm jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
7.1.18  Ronin2  replied to  bbl-1 @7.1.1    5 years ago

Did Obama ask for declaration of war? If so produce the request. Good luck with that one. The answer is Obama never asked Congress for jack shit of anything.

Start with Libya and work your way through his entire extended war on terror. 

Obama inserted US troops, and violated Syrian air space on bombing runs, all in the war on terror. He began arming, training, and protecting Kurd, and "moderate" Sunni rebels who weren't just fighting ISIS/ISIL; but also involved in a civil war against Assad.

Produce the UN Security Council Resolution allowing US involvement in Syria. This isn't even a NATO mission the US is on. Syria has requested that US and Turkish forces leave Syria.

Syria’s Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem on Saturday demanded an immediate withdrawal of all U.S. and Turkish troops from his country and warned that Syrian government forces had the right to take countermeasures if they refused.

The United States has around 1,000 troops in Syria tackling Islamic State militants. Turkey has also launched military incursions into northern Syria, targeting Islamic State and Kurdish YPG fighters.

“Any foreign forces operating in our territories without our authorization are occupying forces and must withdraw immediately,” al-Moualem said during an address to the annual gathering of world leaders at the United Nations in New York.

“If they refuse, we have the right to take any and all countermeasures authorized under international law,” he said.

So, if US forces come under sustained attack by Syrian government, Russian, or Iranian troops what then? Start WWIII? Think NATO will support the US- fat chance. Think the UN won't condemn the US. Right, we have no legal reason for being in Syria.

Acting like Trump caused the entire ME mess is just rampant TDDS. It started long before he took office. It will be a mess long after he leaves it.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8  MrFrost    5 years ago

So what was the point of increasing military spending by 5.6%? So we can sit back and watch our allies get their asses kicked? 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.1  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @8    5 years ago

Well, considering we have troops station all over the damn planet; and our "allies" are incapable of defending themselves- we had better bump it up some more. 

Especially considering the newly minted leftist chicken hawks (joining the right chicken hawks) seem to want to go to war with everyone.

This is the reason we can't have things like a state of the art infrastructure, universal healthcare, "free" cradle to grave education, etc, etc, etc.

The US is expected to be the babysitter, and attack dog, for the entire damn planet.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.2  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @8    5 years ago
So we can sit back and watch our allies get their asses kicked? 

Wouldn't it be great if our "Allies" worried about us for a "Change" ?

It's NOT what the United States can do for YOU, It's what YOU can do for the United States !

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
9  bbl-1    5 years ago

This is the heart and soul of the MAGA fraud.

And the 'recipe for disaster' was spawned by Birtherism and the sea of red MAGA hats that ensued.