╌>

Trump Continues to Promote False and Debunked Ukraine DNC Server Conspiracy Theory

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  15 comments

Trump Continues to Promote False and Debunked Ukraine DNC Server Conspiracy Theory
Trump’s curiosity  “appears to have no basis in fact.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Good lord. There is no server. The DNC email was cloud-based spread out over 140 network servers. The idea there was this lone box, which is now hidden somewhere in Ukraine containing all the DNC emails, is Alex Jones level stuff.

Posted:Tue, 22 Oct 2019 11:03:47 +0000

This iframe is not allowed

President  Donald Trump  appeared on  Hannity  Monday night and repeated much of the very same defensive and offensive political rhetoric he has shared in the past week on Twitter, during White House press sprays and recent political rallies. Lost in the predictable, however, was his doubling down on the widely debunked conspiracy theory that Ukraine was somehow in possession of a DNC server that lay at the center of the 2016 election hacking that saw him rise to the highest office.

Trump and his allies have tried many narrative strategies to defend a damning July 25th phone call between the president and Ukrainian President  Voldymor Zelinsky  in which many have seen a clear quid pro quo between military aid withheld by the White House and a Ukrainian investigation into  Joe  and  Hunter Biden .

During that call, Trump also asked the favor of an investigation into cybersecurity firm Crowdstrike and mentioned the server. Only, the notion that Ukraine is somehow is in possession of a DNC server has been debunked by political pundits on both sides of the aisle.

Trump hit this note in his interview with  Sean Hannity  as well. After dismissing a Mueller Report that found “no collusion” he returned to the DNC server issue. “There was a server, the DNC server that had never went to the FBI, the FBI didn’t take it. It was taken by somebody I guess it’s Crowdstrike, that’s what I have heard,” the President said. He finished “That is not an election going into the future. That is for a past election that was a catastrophe.”

Writing for the  Washington Examiner,  conservative thought leader and Fox News contributor  Byron York  detailed Trump’s thinking on Ukraine in a five-point outline. While he posits the political benefits of Trump’s new interest in investigating the 2016 election interference but notes Trump’s curiosity  “appears to have no basis in fact.”

4.) Trump’s desire to see Ukraine assist in an inquiry of the Russia-2016 campaign investigation. To some readers, the most baffling portion of the Trump-Zelensky rough transcript was when Trump said, “Our country has been through a lot and Ukraine knows a lot about it. I would like you to find out what happened with this whole situation with Ukraine. They say Crowdstrike … I guess you have one of your wealthy people … The server, they say Ukraine has it. There are a lot of things that went on, the whole situation.”
It turned out that Trump was curious about a theory,  one which appears to have no basis in fact , that someone in Ukraine somehow possesses the Democratic National Committee server that was hacked in 2016 and which the DNC did not let investigators examine. But there is a larger issue in what Trump said, and that is the ongoing Justice Department investigation into the origins of the Trump-Russia investigation. It’s publicly known that John Durham, the U.S. attorney chosen by Attorney General William Barr to conduct the investigation, has been in contact with a number of foreign countries, including Ukraine, as part of the investigation. Trump has also heard from some Republicans that some Ukrainian officials had information to offer U.S. investigators. So he wanted Ukrainian assistance.

The “server in Ukraine” conspiracy is still being promoted by the most dutiful and willingly misinformed Trump surrogates. Take for example former Congressman  Sean Duffy  who recently signed on as a CNN contributor and took no time to spread disinformation on CNN’s airwaves.  Jay Caruso , Managing Editor of  Washington Examiner  has different thoughts, however:

Writing for AP,  Frank Bajak   outlines the specific “fictions”  underlying the Ukraine-election interference theory:

Ukraine and Russia have been bitter foes since Russia’s 2014 military intervention and annexation of Crimea. Unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about a purported Ukrainian link to the DNC hack began circulating almost immediately after it was discovered.

Some propagated by Russian media and online included mention of a supposed “hidden DNC server,” which acolytes of the Republican political operative Roger Stone picked up and circulated.

Stone is set to stand trial in November for allegedly lying to Congress, obstructing justice and witness tampering after getting swept up in the Mueller probe. He has claimed that CrowdStrike is concealing evidence that could presumably clear Russia of culpability.

A judge recently denied Stone’s efforts to challenge the investigation into the hack. Stone sought to suppress search warrants that he alleged were based on faulty assumptions from CrowdStrike, but U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson said there was no evidence anyone in the FBI had “played fast and loose with the truth” in applying for the warrants.

In fact, CrowdStrike has also worked for the GOP. It helped the  National Republican Congressional Committee  investigate email thefts by unidentified hackers during the 2018 campaign, the company told the AP in December.

The political benefits for Trump to continue to promote this theory that somehow Ukraine played a significant role in the 2016 election interference are clear. And it is not clear if Trump truly believes this to be true or is aware that it is a baseless conspiracy that he continues to promote as part of a disinformation campaign.

But what is clear is that advisors close to Trump are doing him, and the nation at large, a grave disservice by allowing the Commander in Chief to go on national television and debase the office of the president by promoting a theory that is widely accepted as NOT true.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

The president* and his lackeys are spreading known lies all over the mediasphere.  And people have the gall to say he is not being treated "fairly" by the media? 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2  katrix    5 years ago

What a stupid, stupid fuck he is.

Not to mention, despite his constant screeching about "unnamed sources" (because he and his worshippers are too stupid to understand how investigative journalism works), he always says "they say" and "some people say" which is his code for "I totally made this up but my supporters believe anything I say"

He took an oath to uphold the Constitution but hasn't apparenlty read it - and he's called parts of it "phony" which right there make him unfit for office, since he's clearly incapable of following his oath. Can we please ship him off to North Korea for the rest of his life? Or maybe Chernobyl?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @2    5 years ago

I vote for Chernobyl because I'm a sick bitch

NV-Robin6
Professor Silent
2.1.1  NV-Robin6  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1    5 years ago

[deleted] but I'd rather see them lock him up!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  katrix @2    5 years ago

Or maybe Chernobyl?

Recently, it has been discovered that there are an endangered wild horse herd flourishing there.  They certainly don't need another ass.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.2    5 years ago

Ok then....NK it is. He can go sing love songs to his boyfriend

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Prior to the 2016 election it was well known that Trump tends to be in thrall to conspiracy theories. Yet his voters didnt care. 

Oh who am I kidding?  many of them are in thrall to conspiracy theories themselves. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Trump’s curiosity  “appears to have no basis in fact.”

I can't wait to see the initial "Investigation Notes" that seem to be ….. somewhere, except in the "Media reporting" ?

I'm sure there was an in-depth investigation on this Ukraine/Biden thingy , Before Trump...…. Maybe ?

Yep ...... Must have been. The "Left" says so (Cue another Schiff Parody). 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @4    5 years ago

Why dont you go to a reputable site and read something about it instead of regurgitating far right talking points all day long? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    5 years ago
Why dont you go to a reputable site and read something about it

Lead me obiwanabi, where they goes "BEYOND" the normal "left" talking point of …….appears to have no basis in fact.” !

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    5 years ago

Trump is not the only one. His and Putin's minions on social media are working overtime spreading false information and conspiracy theories trying to confuse voters. It is not working for them this time though. The rats are already fleeing the sinking SS Trumptanic...

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5.1  katrix  replied to  JBB @5    5 years ago
His and Putin's minions on social media are working overtime spreading false information and conspiracy theories trying to confuse voters. It is not working for them this time though.

Oh, I don't know. It's certainly working on certain members of this site.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  katrix @5.1    5 years ago

[Removed]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @5    5 years ago

There's definitely a correlation between those who claim others are working for Putin and those who post blatantly false and misleading information. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.3  cjcold  replied to  JBB @5    5 years ago

There may even be a few of Putin's minions here spreading disinformation and propaganda.