╌>

Why Trump is letting a corrupt Democrat out of prison

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  141 comments

If you believe that, Trump’s own behavior no longer seems aberrant, nor does it mean you shouldn’t vote for him. The worldview Trump wants us to accept is one in which there are no rules, no morals, and no principles that must be obeyed.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

FEBRUARY 18, 2020

2NW4NGCBREI6RMW4WCSAHZDSBI.jpg&w=150

“I’ve got this thing, and it’s f---ing golden,”   said   then-Governor Rod Blagojevich of Illinois in 2008, referring to his ability to fill the Senate seat of President-elect Barack Obama. “And I’m just not giving it up for f---ing nothing.”

We know this because Blagojevich’s phone was being tapped by the FBI; his efforts to get personal benefit in exchange for that Senate seat made up some of the   multiple counts   of bribery and extortion that resulted in his conviction and 14-year sentence. But now, a savior has   ridden to Blagojevich’s rescue :

Trump told reporters before boarding Air Force One that he had commuted the sentence of Blagojevich, noting he’d seen Blagojevich’s wife advocate for him on television and that the Democrat had appeared on “Celebrity Apprentice.”“He’ll be able to go back to his family after serving eight years in jail, which was a powerful and ridiculous sentence in my opinion,” Trump said.

Why would Trump do this? After all, Blagojevich was a Democrat, and not a longtime friend who was convicted of crimes in Trump’s service, like Roger Stone (though there was that predictably pathetic   four-episode run   he had on “Celebrity Apprentice” while awaiting trial). Was the president motivated only by his strong sense of justice?

Maybe somewhat (and before your jaw drops, I’ll explain). But there’s a strategy at work too, one that relates directly to this fall’s election.

Given everything we’ve seen from the president, it’s almost certain that Trump sincerely believed Blagojevich’s sentence was unfair. So he tried to shake down a children’s hospital, using state funding as a way to extort campaign contributions. What’s the big deal? That’s just shrewd dealmaking. Would we really want to live in a world where public officials can’t wet their beaks?

But more than that, what Trump is really after is the normalization of corruption. The fact that Blagojevich was a Democrat makes it all the better. Trump would never argue that Republicans are clean and Democrats are dirty; he wants to convince you that   everyone   is dirty. In fact, it’s a key part of his reelection strategy.

In politics we often argue that some misdeed a politician commits will make thereafter make it impossible for them to criticize their opponents for doing something similar. In this view, hypocrisy is something to be avoided, since it is assumed to be politically damaging. But Trump always operated on exactly the opposite principle: Not only can I accuse my opponents of the very thing I’m guilty of, it’s even better if I’m guilty of it.

So this spectacularly corrupt candidate accused his 2016 opponent of being “crooked.” The man who had been accused of various degrees of sexual misconduct and assault by two dozen women   held a news conference   with women who had made similar accusations against Bill Clinton. And the president who appointed his own daughter and son-in-law to key White House positions argues that it’s just awful that Joe Biden’s son got to sit on a corporate board while his father was vice president.

The point was never to say that he was innocent. It was to say that everyone’s guilty.

If you believe that, Trump’s own behavior no longer seems aberrant, nor does it mean you shouldn’t vote for him. The worldview Trump wants us to accept is one in which there are no rules, no morals, and no principles that must be obeyed.

This applies to more than just corruption. You may recall the time in 2017 Trump   defended   Vladimir Putin’s habit of having his critics murdered by saying “There are a lot of killers. You think our country’s so innocent?” His argument was not that killing is wrong and we should clean up our own act, but that Putin shouldn’t be condemned because killing is a fact of life.

It’s critical to understand that this is also a demobilization strategy for 2020, one that Trump will use on whoever the Democratic nominee is. Begin with Trump’s assumption, probably correct, that his base of support is so loyal and so moved by fear and hatred that they will come to the polls no matter what.

With their participation secured, Trump can move to convince other people not to vote at all, by trying to convince everyone to be as disillusioned as possible.

The most cynical ideas about politics — all politicians are crooks, government is never used to benefit ordinary people — not only support the broader conservative view and undermine Democrats who try to convince people that government can be a force for good, they’re particularly beneficial to Trump himself.

Why get angry about him pressuring a foreign government to help his campaign, or trying to   give himself   a multimillion-dollar federal contract, or using the Justice Department like a crew of personal enforcers? Everybody does it, and nothing will change. Might as well stay home on Election Day.

This is also why Trump will go after his opponent with claims meant specifically to make Democratic voters withdraw in disgust and decide not to vote. As Amanda Marcotte   argues , “The strategy for doing this will be to attack the Democratic nominee from the left, by accusing that person of being racist, sexist, corrupt or, most likely, some combination of the three.”

Trump won’t care if liberals call him a hypocrite for doing so. Isn’t everybody a hypocrite? All the more reason to wash your hands of the whole thing.

Watching Trump commute Blagojevich’s sentence is enough to make you feel like the system is beyond help. Which is exactly what Trump wants you to feel.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Trump wants to drag the world down to his level of low morality.  Some have already succumbed. 

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.1  squiggy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

"Watching Trump commute Blagojevich’s sentence is enough to make you feel like the system is beyond help. Which is exactly what Trump wants you to feel."

... and drug dealing is fine by Obama's final day day release of 330 offenders. That guy played hit and run.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  CB  replied to  squiggy @1.1    4 years ago

Another tired old 'whataboutism' for whataboutism sake. Let what ever right or wrong done by Trump with "Blago" and those others stand on its own merits, or fail by the same. Trying to make odious the release of drug offenders who routinely are in some sense ordinary people caught up in bad situations of life, compare to people who were highly skilled and highly positioned in life simply fails. Emphatically.

Let what Obama did stand on its merits. Let what Trump is currently doing stand on its merits too!

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.1.2  squiggy  replied to  CB @1.1.1    4 years ago

Well, why worry about morality today when it didn't matter then? The left's outrage is as phony as show tits. You aren't outraged, you're just pissing for fun.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.3  CB  replied to  squiggy @1.1.2    4 years ago

Oh morality matters. What presidents do matter. My point to you is there is no true connection here coming from Trump to Obama. So why attempt one? Trump is always making it clear that he wishes nothing from Obama, except to outdo him (if possible).

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  squiggy @1.1.2    4 years ago

Bottom line is it is just one more reason for the hard core left to demonize Trump. If they cannot find something, they have zero problem simply  inventing it.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.5  CB  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.4    4 years ago

Who is demonizing Trump? The Republic Party since the 80's has went out on the limb to brand itself as the so-called, "Republican Party of morals." Republicans associated themselves with the "Moral Majority" in the 1980's and national right-wing evangelicals churches. Jerry Falwell Jr. and the evangelicals talk about moral absolutism and now are standing arm and arm with an amoral controversial president whose everyday existence is moral relativism (in one of its worse forms). Who is demonizing Trump? Better yet tell me what happened to moral absolutism that used to be an important brand in the Republican Party?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  cjcold  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.4    4 years ago

Trump has no problem with demonizing himself. All the press has to do is point the cameras. No inventing necessary. Trump is his own worst enemy. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  cjcold @1.1.6    4 years ago

In this particular instance, I agree with your above post. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago
Trump wants to drag the world down to his level of low morality. 

Is that what the 'son of a bitch' obama did when he released more than the last 7 Presidents combined?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.2.1  katrix  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2    4 years ago

Obama had the most commutations, but nowhere the most pardons.

When Trump ends up commuting more sentences than Obama did, I have a funny feeling you won't mind at all.

Cathar
Freshman Silent
1.2.2  Cathar  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2    4 years ago

You lose all credibility when all you are armed with are lies and insults. tRump has more scandals than Bush and Obama combined and it is not even close.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.3  KDMichigan  replied to  katrix @1.2.1    4 years ago

I know sometimes when in a rush to tell someone what they think you don't actually read what they said. The 'son of a bitch' obama released more people from prison than the last 7 presidents combined, I't might hurt your feeling, it might ruin your talking points, but it still doesn't change the fact that it is true.

I didn't agree with the 'son of a bitch' obama when he did it and I don't agree with President Trump either. Cuz see I'm not a TDS sufferer and I stick to my beliefs. When you committed the crime you knew the consequences.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.4  CB  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2    4 years ago

There really should be some sense of fairness, degrees, and proportionality to these kinds of exchanges. The rule that what is true of one thing in one set of circumstances is not necessarily true of another thing in another set of circumstances.

I say let each thing sat on its own 'bottom.'

original

Credit  to source:

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  katrix @1.2.1    4 years ago

For context and perspective.  Please note the % of requests granted by the last two Presidents vs the total requsts.

original

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.5    4 years ago

In all fairness, the Obama Administration received far more requests than any other President.

Of course, the Obama Administration asked for those requests.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.7  KDMichigan  replied to  CB @1.2.4    4 years ago

Still doesn't change the fact that the 'son of a bitch' obama released more people from prison than the last 7 presidents combined. Well we will call it 6 because we are not counting him right?

I couldn't give a shit about your cut and paste left wing news article. I stand by my convictions.

So are you here defending President Trumps decision I take it?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.8  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.6    4 years ago
Of course, the Obama Administration asked for those requests.

Yes, they did.

On April 23, 2014, former Deputy Attorney General James M. Cole announced the Department's initiative to encourage qualified federal inmates to petition to have their sentences commuted, or reduced, by the President of the United States.  The program came to an end when President Obama left office on January 20, 2017.

Under the initiative, the Department prioritized clemency applications from inmates who met most, if not all of the following factors:

• They are currently serving a federal sentence in prison and, by operation of law, likely would have received a substantially lower sentence if convicted of the same offense(s) today;
  • They are non-violent, low-level offenders without significant ties to large scale criminal organizations, gangs or cartels;
  • They have served at least 10 years of their prison sentence;
  • They do not have a significant criminal history;
  • They have demonstrated good conduct in prison; and
  • They have no history of violence prior to or during their current term of imprisonment.

And it looks remarkably similar to Mr. Trumps EO and First Step Act to reduce Federal prison populations.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.9  CB  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.5    4 years ago

Your point is dead on the issue. And if I am correct, the Obama Administration followed established procedures for the vetting and releasing of prisoners from their sentences!

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.10  CB  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.7    4 years ago

You don't give a "shit" right? So miss me with your convictions. Have a nice whatever.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.2.11  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  CB @1.2.9    4 years ago
followed established procedures for the vetting and releasing of prisoners from their sentences!

And how do you know that Mr. Trump and his advisors didn't do the same? You don't.......................

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.12  KDMichigan  replied to  CB @1.2.10    4 years ago
So miss me with your convictions.

Well save your cut and paste bullshit for someone who cares, Was it a attempt to excuse the 'son of a bitch' Obama's behavior as being better than President Trumps? You always seem to have a issue with my posts but yet you can't help yourself posting ridiculous stuff to me. Try the ignore feature.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.8    4 years ago
  • They are currently serving a federal sentence in prison and, by operation of law, likely would have received a substantially lower sentence if convicted of the same offense(s) today;
  • They are non-violent, low-level offenders without significant ties to large scale criminal organizations, gangs or cartels;
  • They have served at least 10 years of their prison sentence;
  • They do not have a significant criminal history;
  • They have demonstrated good conduct in prison; and
  • They have no history of violence prior to or during their current term of imprisonment.

What I highlighted is the most important part. Non-Violent. Drug. Offenders. And no prior history of violence.

I really don't have a problem with the felons that Obama commuted sentences for

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2.14  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.13    4 years ago

I'm curious. How do you know those he pardoned did not have ties to gangs or cartels? The most sentences given were convicted of drug offenses, which could have had gang or cartel ties.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.15  CB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.2.11    4 years ago

I have not insinuated Trump did not. On the otherhand, how do you know that Trump is not acting on one of his self-serving impulses? Trump has a well-known pattern or shooting first then properly aim.

Before you question me; get a fact-check on your 'boy' verified. Then, bring it home.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.16  CB  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.12    4 years ago

You can try the ignore feature. Does yours work? Do you have fingers?

Have a nice whatever!

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.17  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.13    4 years ago

And that was President Obama's point for doing this. There are plenty criminals in jail under questionable laws and sentences scattered throughout this great land. Even "projects" were popping up to  contend on this one or that group of ones behalf! Moreover, drug laws were changing in pockets all across the country-so letting people 'rot' in jail overlong itself was questionable and in some cases not "meet" for the system.

That is what President Obama was hoping to help: the person, the life, the system.

I don't know what is at the heart of Trump's actions in this scenario. But Trump's pattern is to do self-serving crap. That I do know for sure.

My issue arises when some of the usual suspects pull that "whataboutism" shit as if they are owed a we can pour bullpoop over your heads because we imagine (or just will claim) you did it to us once! The hell they say! I won't let them more jack on me!

(Smile - Hi TG!)

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.18  KDMichigan  replied to  CB @1.2.16    4 years ago
Does yours work?

I wouldn't ignore you CB, why would I do that?  I find your post Hillaryious. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.2.19  katrix  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.18    4 years ago
I find your post Hillaryious. 

Still suffering from HDS, I see. Must be strange to have her live in your head for so long after she lost the election.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.20  CB  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.18    4 years ago

Since you won't just do it - then, take it any way you can. When it comes, open wide, trust me it's only 'medicine' for the soul!

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.21  KDMichigan  replied to  CB @1.2.20    4 years ago
take it any way you can. When it comes, open wide, trust me it's only 'medicine' for the soul!

I wouldn't know anything about that but I'll trust your experience in the matter.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2.22  squiggy  replied to  CB @1.2.15    4 years ago
Before you question me;

jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.23  KDMichigan  replied to  katrix @1.2.19    4 years ago
Still suffering from HDS, I see. Must be strange to have her live in your head for so long after she lost the election.

What are you talking about? The seed is about Trump, as usual, do try to keep up. 

If you want I can post a seed about Hillaryious Hillary still crying about losing a election? I could do that for you.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.24  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @1.2.14    4 years ago
How do you know those he pardoned did not have ties to gangs or cartels?

That is the job of the Pardon Attorney of the Justice Department. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.25  Split Personality  replied to  CB @1.2.9    4 years ago

One can also turn the statistics around and note that Mr. Obama denied the most requests for commutations and pardons.  34,617 denials  95% denial rate.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.26  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.6    4 years ago

As a matter of fact, the unchanged petition form remains on the DOJ, Pardon Attorney's web pages.

So apparently this Administration approved of the program also.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.27  KDMichigan  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.13    4 years ago
I really don't have a problem with the felons that Obama commuted sentences for

I'm sure you don't.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2.28  squiggy  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.27    4 years ago

They just haven't trashed her kid yet.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.29  CB  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.25    4 years ago

Really great point. Emphatically!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.30  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Cathar @1.2.2    4 years ago

Your very first sentence the main reason I don't trust leftist liberals! Too bad you got it backwards.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.31  Split Personality  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.7    4 years ago
I couldn't give a shit about your cut and paste left wing news article. I stand by my convictions. So are you here defending President Trumps decision I take it?

Well. I for one don't give a a shit, as you say, about your convictions either.

As much as he may state otherwise, President Trump, like President Obama were both  reacting to the same

"unintended consequences" to the "3 strike" policy of President Clinton and his policies.

Your ODS is laughable as you constantly deride others for their TDS.

Just pointing out the obvious...........jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

Have a great night!

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.32  KDMichigan  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.31    4 years ago
Your ODS is laughable

[deleted]

Well. I for one don't give a a shit, as you say, about your convictions either.

Likewise.

As much as he may state otherwise, President Trump, like President Obama were both  reacting to the same
"unintended consequences" to the "3 strike" policy of President Clinton and his policies.

But wait how are you defending CB here? Obama good....baaa baaa Trump bad baaa baaaa

Just pointing out the obvious.

What that you are just another apologist for "son of a bitch' obama?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2.34  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.18    4 years ago

I did not have that problem.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

I think the New York Times may have finally got something right. This morning they attributed the 11 pardons to the President's shared sense of persecution. 

11 Pardons and the Times using logic - It's been a unique few days!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    4 years ago

It's not persecution when you're guilty.  

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.3.2  katrix  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.3    4 years ago
This morning they attributed the 11 pardons to the President's shared sense of persecution. 

That's correct. Since Trump feels persecuted when he's called out for doing the wrong things, or pretty much even when the wind blows, he is trying to normalize the behavior to make us overlook all the things he does. White collar criminals are being punished for their crimes - it's so unfair! Since Trump is also a white collar criminal (the fraudulent university and fraudulent charity being just the tip of the iceberg, with the "unfair" $33 million he had to pay for screwing the little people over), he can easily relate to other white collar criminals.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.3.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  katrix @1.3.2    4 years ago
white collar criminals

i don't understand why they are not punished far worse than say, White collar criminals, but, MONEY, and it's pull in politics with our corrupted and bought pols, just might begin to explain the hypocrisy, unless attempting to explain it to most all Republicans, and even many of the bette off Dems.

Our system is broken.

Sad, but True, in my non ferrous eyes

"it's not ____________but who you know"

whence "Holier than Thou"

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.3.4  katrix  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.3.3    4 years ago

And how often you appear on Fox, in Trump's case.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.3.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to  katrix @1.3.4    4 years ago

Amazing how much influence Fox and it's completely biased agenda, has upon our malleable minded governing from behind it , over malnourished, under achieving unless deceiving, over the top of a flop flop fizzling glutinous jello pop pop on Fifth Avenue    shot into his vane, so asz he's become too insane to have to explain junkie bondage kings and other White Collar Things to his Blue collar flunkies who can't hear his dog whistle thing, as it rings, around their blew collar they can't swallow with heads so hollow,

like his stump,

speech.

or, somethin like that

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.3.6  katrix  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.3.5    4 years ago

Well, studies have shown that most people who watch Fox don't get news from any other sources. Makes it all the easier to brainwash and fool them. They choose willful ignorance and that's what they get, unfortunately for our country.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.3.7  igknorantzrulz  replied to  katrix @1.3.6    4 years ago

i've heard that watchers of Fox are less educated than non news watchers, and from what i've observed round hear, Sad but True, yet again

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @1.3.1    4 years ago

It is when the other side cannot always prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, but keeps trying anyway.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    4 years ago
Watching Trump commute Blagojevich’s sentence is enough to make you feel like the system is beyond help. 

Blogojevich has been proven to be corrupt to the core.   There is no reasonable doubt here, the guy is an example of the very worst kind of politician.   Trump commuting the sentence of this scumbag is unethical, irresponsible and politically stupid.

Other than Blagojevich stroking Trump's ego with a letter, what is the basis for this action?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1  katrix  replied to  TᵢG @3    4 years ago

Because Blagojevich committed the same kind of crimes that Trump has - and Trump is trying to normalize that behavior.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  katrix @3.1    4 years ago

Blagojevich is far worse so he is a good case for Trump to try to make himself look like a saint.   You might be right here katrix.   But it is a dumb political move if Trump is just trying to appeal to hyper-partisans on the D side while upsetting his own base.   Truly amazingly stupid and incorrect move by Trump.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    4 years ago
Blagojevich is far worse

LOL. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.2    4 years ago

Would you rather have Blagojevich as PotUS?

John, if (and it seems so to me) you hold that Trump is the worst possible person or even merely the worst possible PotUS then I suggest you reconsider your analytical method  and/or criteria.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.3    4 years ago

I have been at a loss for how to explain your blase attitude toward Trump for a long time now. 

He has lied to the public thousands of times, since taking office, the exact figure resting on how one categorizes repeat lies , half truths , and nonsensical 'exaggerations'.  

Of course I would rather have Blagojevich if those were the only two choices. I am sure he could be persuaded to stop his conduct if it were shown to him that it was damaging the country.  Trump thinks he IS the country. 

Trump has tried, twice now, to cheat at the national election for president. He sends Secret Service business to his own hospitality properties. Half his original cabinet had to resign in disgrace for self dealing. 

He is an ignoramus, a liar, a crook , and a bigot.  Plus he is a conspiracy nut who regularly listens to and takes advice from the dregs of our political system. 

You have to be kidding. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.5  katrix  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.1    4 years ago
 But it is a dumb political move if Trump is just trying to appeal to hyper-partisans on the D side while upsetting his own base. 

I don't know. Since other presidents have abused the power of pardon - think of Clinton's "pardongate" - while this might upset Trump's base, the fact that past presidents began the precedent of using their pardons to reward their cronies will tamp down any major outrage. Most people will agree that it sucked, just as they agreed that many other pardons have sucked, and we'll bitch about how it needs to change, and the politicians will refuse to change it ... and there we are.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    4 years ago
...cabinet members have come under fire for incompetence or conflicts of interest, including Rick Perry, Betsy DeVos, Mick Mulvaney, Wilbur Ross, William Barr, Mike Pompeo, and past appointees Ryan Zinke and Scott Pruitt. Trump, himself, has broken the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution, which prevents any President from making profits on his personal business ventures while in office.

While all politicians can be accused of lying and deceit at some point in their careers, Donald Trump has set a record that has caused many observers to contend that he is the “Liar in Chief” as he has lied more than 15,000 times in less than three years, as recorded by the Washington Post .  

While the presidency has often been embroiled in scandal, Donald Trump’s impeachment and other methods of corruption stand out in history. 

HISTORY NEWS NETWORK

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    4 years ago
I have been at a loss for how to explain your blase attitude toward Trump for a long time now. 

Simple, you do not recognize anything other than hyper-extreme negative.   If someone does not write bat-shit crazy rhetoric on Trump you think they are a supporter.   

The very first comment you ever made to me on this site was in response to me making a critical comment on Trump.   You criticized me for not being sufficiently extreme in my language.   Nothing has changed.

The problem lies with your analytical method / criteria.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  katrix @3.1.5    4 years ago

How does this benefit Trump?    His base will not see this as good.   His opponents will not warm up to him because he commuted the sentence of a D con-man.   Seems like a bad move to me.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.2    4 years ago

I thought the same thing.  

Blagojevich is far worse, my ass

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.10  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.7    4 years ago

Your conclusion that Blagojevich is way worse than Trump would be funny were I not convinced you actually believe it. 

Your blase attitude toward Trump is what it is, as they say.  It's not my problem, I just comment on it. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.10    4 years ago

Seems very much like you have a problem with any and all who aren't as full of hate for Trump as you seem to be. You call people out all day long if they aren't as vocal in their expression of hate for Trump as you are. You accuse anyone of not jumping on your bandwagon of being a Trump supporter or responsible for Trump in some way.

Saying you don't have a problem with that is ludicrous and false based on your very own multiple posts.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.12  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.10    4 years ago

Then you would indeed prefer to see Blagojevich as PotUS rather than Trump.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.13  TᵢG  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.9    4 years ago

Same question.   Would you prefer to have Blagojevich as PotUS instead of Trump?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.14  igknorantzrulz  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.10    4 years ago

You two tend to have a communication breakdown .

Believe TiG sees Blish as, yes, a bigger 'personal' failure than Trump.

TiG can correct if my deduction was deduced incorrectly, for as to me, they both induce vomiting!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.15  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.12    4 years ago

Well, I would strongly prefer not to see either of them, and I am quite confident the Democrats would never nominate a Rod Blagojevich. 

But if it had to be one or the other , yes I would take Blago. Trump is worse in a laundry list of ways. A long laundry list, 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.16  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.11    4 years ago

that will be your first and last comment here that is solely about me

at least work blago and trump into it or the next one will be deleted as off topic

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.17  TᵢG  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.14    4 years ago

Seems to me, John would support any scumbag as PotUS over Trump.    

I am not a fan of emotional reasoning.   Especially when it leads to aggression against those who also do not support Trump.

In short, it is counterproductive to attack those who are against Trump but fail to reach one’s desired level of shrill, bat-shit crazy rhetoric.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.18  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.15    4 years ago
But if it had to be one or the other , yes I would take Blago.

Yup, thought so.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.16    4 years ago
that will be your first and last comment here that is solely about me
at least work blago and trump into it or the next one will be deleted as off topic

I specifically mention Trump 4 times in my post.

If you prefer Blago to Trump, more power to ya!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.20  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.18    4 years ago

I do not have emotional reasoning. I have overwhelming evidence.  You can reject the evidence and remain blase, or you can accept the evidence.  It doesnt really matter to me, I just comment on it. 

Trump is not fit to hold high office. That is not an emotional conclusion, it is the conclusion drawn by millions of people from simple observation of his behavior and reading of material about him.  Those who are not fit for office should not be in office, let alone campaigning for another four year term. 

If you would like me to bury this forum with the evidence Trump is not fit for office, I suppose I could do that. 

As I said on a few other seeds, there is a group of "never trumpers" known now as the Lincoln Project who are encouraging everyone to vote for the democrat for president , no matter who the candidate is, and that includes Sanders or Warren. 

Are these 'Lincoln Project' folks all over emotional too? 

lol. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.21  katrix  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.8    4 years ago
How does this benefit Trump?    His base will not see this as good

Its benefit to Trump is, again, to normalize this type of behavior - since Trump engages in the same type of thing.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.22  TᵢG  replied to  katrix @3.1.21    4 years ago

I recognize (and acknowledged) the argumentative benefit.    I am now focusing on the political benefit.   I do not see it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.23  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.17    4 years ago
Seems to me, John would support any scumbag as PotUS over Trump.    

You would have to go a ways down the list of scumbags to find someone worse than the worst president in the 240 year history of this country. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.24  bbl-1  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.8    4 years ago

Voted you up----but---"a bad move."  ? ?  Nah, with the Trumpian base and the Trumpian philosophy the concept of 'The Stormy Who' is the template of it's success.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.25  katrix  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.22    4 years ago

I don't see it either. But as I mentioned, Trump doesn't exactly think before he acts, so there may well have been no expected political benefit.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.26  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  katrix @3.1.25    4 years ago

I see three reasons. 

First and foremost , Trump likes playing god. 

Blagojevich's wife has been on Fox News numerous times more or less pleading with trump to let her husband go. Trump is like the pharaoh or an ancient king exercising his divine right to be merciful. 

His ego is the main driver of this, but it also sets up other pardons down the road, possibly including his own. 

Thirdly he wants to, as the article says, normalize corruption as something not that bad and as something otherwise good guys get over penalized for. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.26    4 years ago
First and foremost , Trump likes playing god. 

That is merely your perception.

Blagojevich's wife has been on Fox News numerous times more or less pleading with trump to let her husband go. Trump is like the pharaoh or an ancient king exercising his divine right to be merciful. 

Trump did what ALL Presidents do--grant pardons or commutations.

His ego is the main driver of this, but it also sets up other pardons down the road, possibly including his own.

A President can not pardon himself, so that point is flat out ridiculous. Any President can pardon for virtually any reason or none at all--and it has BEEN that way. There needn't BE any precedent beyond what all other Presidents have done.

Thirdly he wants to, as the article says, normalize corruption as something not that bad and as something otherwise good guys get over penalized for. 

just an opinion---and we ALL have them.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.28  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.26    4 years ago
Blagojevich's wife has been on Fox News numerous times

That's a huge part of it.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.29  TᵢG  replied to  katrix @3.1.25    4 years ago

Yup, Trump seems to think he is the smartest person on the planet and thus fails to take seriously the advice of his advisors.   If he did, he would have them review/edit his tweets (one example).

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.30  katrix  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.26    4 years ago
it also sets up other pardons down the road, possibly including his own

If he ever does get convicted of anything, it will be interesting to see if he gets away with pardoning himself - he's just arrogant enough to do it, as he has said he might. Before, I would have said there's no way it would stand - but these days, I'd hesitate to claim that any checks and balances will actually happen.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.31  Texan1211  replied to  katrix @3.1.30    4 years ago
If he ever does get convicted of anything, it will be interesting to see if he gets away with pardoning himself - he's just arrogant enough to do it, as he has said he might. 

Oh, FFS.

A President can NOT pardon himself.

Where do y'all GET this stuff from?????????

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.32  katrix  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.31    4 years ago

Perhaps you failed to note when Trump specifically stated that he has the power to pardon himself? His arrogance knows no bounds - and he thinks his power doesn't have any bounds, either. So far it's working out well for him.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.33  Texan1211  replied to  katrix @3.1.32    4 years ago
Perhaps you failed to note when Trump specifically stated that he has the power to pardon himself? His arrogance knows no bounds - and he thinks his power doesn't have any bounds, either. So far it's working out well for him.

I did note that. he was wrong.

I suppose the difference is that I recognize when someone says something wrong, it doesn't make it a fact that he can do something.

Hope all learn that someday, but I am not confident based on replies here.

the very simple fact is--no matter what anyone says--a President may not pardon himself.

And if you think he can, we are done, I can't argue something so completely stupid.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.34  katrix  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.33    4 years ago

I recognize that it is wrong as well - but from Trump's own actions, I have little reason to doubt him when he says that HE believes he has the power to do it. He does not feel that any boundaries exist when it comes to his power. Therefore he is very likely to follow up as he said he might, if he gets convicted of anything. His impulses lead his behavior. Just because something is wrong does NOT mean he won't do it, as he has repeatedly proven to the dismay of his advisors.

Your President is the one who is stupid and believes that he can pardon himself, and said that he might do it. Take it up with him.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.35  Texan1211  replied to  katrix @3.1.34    4 years ago

Once again--I am not responsible for whatever it is you choose to believe. If one is gullible enough, I can see where they MIGHT actually think a President can pardon himself, but I will go with the law on this and leave you to your own opinion.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.36  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.35    4 years ago

Right along that same vein of "He's going to"......................

Mr. Trump throws shit out there to see if it sticks. That's his MO. Until someone says he can't and proves it without any doubt, he will go forward...................If the libs don't recognize that by now............

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.37  igknorantzrulz  replied to  katrix @3.1.34    4 years ago

or he could resign a week before term is up, and have Pence pardon him...?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.38  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.33    4 years ago

Whether he pardons himself, or gets some flunky to pardon him, what difference does it make? 

He obviously wants the scent of pardons in the air, and since everything this man does is for his own benefit  we are drawing the logical conclusion. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.39  katrix  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.35    4 years ago

[Deleted]

I have never stated that I think a president can pardon himself. What I said is that Trump might try to do it anyway - which HE HIMSELF stated. He himself said he has the power to do just that.

It's rather stupid to underestimate Trump's impulsive and autocratic nature. But hell, his supporters wanted someone who would destroy all the norms, right? This would be just one more of those norms.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.40  katrix  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.36    4 years ago
Until someone says he can't and proves it without any doubt, he will go forward

Thanks for supporting my comment. I agree about him being likely to try pardoning himself if he gets convicted, to see if it will stick. It's the normal shit he flings.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.41  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.33    4 years ago

Nixon would have pardoned himself on his way out the door instead of relying on Ford to take the political hit for doing it.  And that one really was in the best interest of the country

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.42  katrix  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.37    4 years ago
or he could resign a week before term is up, and have Pence pardon him

That would be the more likely option, although with his arrogance and impulses, you just never know.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.43  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.26    4 years ago

I wholeheartedly agree with you. This is what Donald Trump means when he says he is smart.  He means he studies how to have his way with others.

You see this diabolical genius at work in his head. I see him too. Trump works angles. It's the 'con.' You get in-you get on-you get out. If possible before the 'mark' or 'marks' can see the swerve or loss ahead.

This is why I am inclined toward Mr. Bloomberg, because I can see Mr. Bloomberg's angle. He appears to be a no-bullshit player; understands the greater the risk the bigger the reward; and he has determined Donald Trump needs to be taken down a peg this year so the proper authorities can get at that "A."

Mr. Bloomberg wants to make an example out of Trump's 'dirty,' by booting in out into the street before it can wash up properly. I will be watching this debate with my march-1-2014-rakovski-bulgaria-a-man-wearing-an-elaborate-array-of-DW6JRH.jpg on. Mr. Bloomberg show us "the electricity!" 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.44  Trout Giggles  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.19    4 years ago

Your screed was still all about John. Why don't you try focusing on the topic instead of other posters for a change?

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.45  CB  replied to  katrix @3.1.32    4 years ago
So far it's working out well for him.

All good things come to an end in some cases. This presidency needs to come to a close. Donald Trump is a most dangerous man, because he does not respect anything or anybody but himself. Mark my words, if it comes down between the nation or getting cross with Trump, he will most definitely see people get hurt on his account.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.46  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.22    4 years ago
I am now focusing on the political benefit.   I do not see it.

Because Blago actually came out and called himself a trumpocrat. trmp hears this and thinks "hey! I won one Democrat over! Maybe I can win a lot more!"

Of course, I could just be talking out of my big toe. I could never understand the mind of a trmp.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.47  CB  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.36    4 years ago

We, liberals, don't need or want you to 'Trump-whisper' do us. So far, you republicans (all of you damn near) have sat on your hunches and let this one tired old man trample the liberties of other citizens and wish to be citizens of this country. So now you want to tell us that you're not down with him tramping once AGAIN on the constitution by tying up in litigation another ill-detailed meaning in the Constitution? Following the track record of what you all readily do to appease this tired old president of yours, we need not have any faith in you, him, or the system at this point. The 'degree of separation' is what is worthy of consideration, not fake commentary by fans of the man!

Trusting republicans and conservatives going forward is the very definition of insanity!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.49  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.46    4 years ago
Because Blago actually came out and called himself a trumpocrat.

Dirty Donald also used to call himself a Democrat until he realized they couldn't be bamboozled into voting for such a corrupt piece of crap like himself. Blago found out the same when Democrats turned on the slimy liar and threw him in jail for being a corrupt piece of crap just like dishonest Donald. They both realized that the Republican party was a far more welcoming place for scum like them where there is virtually no accountability.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.50  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  katrix @3.1.30    4 years ago

His convictions will come after he leaves office, so he will not have the power to pardon himself.  

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.51  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.46    4 years ago

Trump uses everybody. Blago will be in ads or guest speaker at the RNC nomination meeting this summer/early fall. Bet!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.52  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.38    4 years ago

All wild speculation on your part. Flunky? So you think Pence is a flunky? And what would force Pence to give a pardon if your hypothetical situation were to occur?

Every President has commuted sentences and granted pardons. Like with all things Trump with you, it is all right when others do it and some big calamity when Trump does it. You can't be anywhere near objective on anything to do with Trump. Your hatred blinds you to everything except fantasies and wild guesses.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.54  CB  replied to    4 years ago

Yet we have some lamebrained folks telling us that Trump is 'pure' as Polly Pure-bread. That stupid republican senate majority just 'shit-canned' Senator Romney because he could not and would not dishonor his concept of God over Trump's abuse of power. The republicans had a chance to get Trump's boot off its neck and it reacted: "No sir!  Mo' pressure, pleez!"

The gall of some people to come in here and plead that cheater's and abuser's case! It is time for people to grow the heaven up! Donald Trump may be his supporters 'dream' but let me be clear in the end that man is no damn good for this country as a whole.

Trump does nothing for everybody. It's just his narrow slither of supporters that he models and "auditions" to. They are his reason for being on the world stage—alone! And he makes it plain that the rest of us could kiss his grits!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.55  Texan1211  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.44    4 years ago

phfft.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.56  CB  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.49    4 years ago

Trump sold out to the republicans and conservatives wholly once he realized that democrats really, truly, and deeply loved President Obama. It cut him to the quick that birtherism fell  flat on its ass and couldn't roll downhill with democrats giving it no traction in 2012.

That finished it for Donald. He wouldn't be able to take over the democrats - so why not go take over the republicans? They were sitting there stewing and ready-made for a soviet-styled autocratic takeover!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.57  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.55    4 years ago

phfft.

the last thing heard B4 a short n curly hits the floor...?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.59  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.46    4 years ago

Yeah, I can see how Trump might think that.   Takes a big ego and he certainly has that.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
3.1.60  katrix  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.52    4 years ago
So you think Pence is a flunky?

Absolutely.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.61  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.57    4 years ago

No, that's the sound I heard when some liberal leftist removed his head from his ass.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4  igknorantzrulz    4 years ago

Trumpp and the GOP have collectively lowered the collective IQ of America, and have actually proven US citizens to be in denial of the reality going on around them.

Americans R FCKN STUPID !

Congratulations Repubs, cause i.m. oh so humble opine,  

Trump and his R's have proven just how Ignorant and lost weak minded individuals can stray,

when they listen to only what they want to be heard said

by an ASS 

they can't stop kissing.

Trump and his clump are a DISGRACE to America

true story:

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.1  squiggy  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4    4 years ago
Trumpp and the GOP have collectively lowered the collective IQ of America

By setting a dem free? Don't be so hard on yourself.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  squiggy @4.1    4 years ago
By setting a dem free? Don't be so hard on yourself.

i don't give a flying underwater above ground FCK about whether BLISH was a DF or an R or an I , the J bag witheld MONEY TO SICK KIDS by extortion, tried to sell a Senatorial seat, had fckn ridiculous hair !

WTF, he's a scum bag, like TRUMPP, and was only chosen , just like the rest, because it somehow benefitts the J bag in Chief. 

He's lubing you up, so he can do the same for his crooked cronies who were indicted by Mueller and Company for that 'Witch Hunt' that netted 199

what a joke R's have not been rated quadruple X

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    4 years ago

One of the few major bipartisan pieces of legislation has been the FIRST STEP Act for criminal justice reform passed and signed last December.  The FIRST STEP Act emphasizes rehabilitation and re-entry into society.  Presidential clemency for high profile convictions highlights the goals of the FIRST STEP Act.  Clemency does not overturn a conviction; clemency reduces the sentence and allows the convicted individual to re-enter society.  That is the goal of the FIRST STEP Act.

President Trump is beginning the process of implementing the FIRST STEP Act.  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Nerm_L @5    4 years ago

President Trump is beginning the process of implementing the FIRST STEP Act.  

Why are his shoes tied together again?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1    4 years ago
Why are his shoes tied together again?

At least he is wearing shoes instead of jackboots.  Do Democrats want criminal justice reform or boogaloo?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.1    4 years ago
Do Democrats want criminal justice reform or boogaloo?

Exactly. This is in line with his reform proposal. Gonna let 'em out for smoking weed, let 'em out, or at least reduce the time, for non violent white collar crimes AFTER they pay their fines..

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.1    4 years ago

i think the whole pardon moi, do you have any Grey Poupon, is just ridiculous in general, irregardless of who's doing it.

It should be abolished imho.

Trump has exposed MANY flaws in a system that most thought would never have tolerated his likes. The GOP has proven that they have not a spine, and frontal lobotomies weren't supposed to make a comeback yet.

Oh well. Republicans OWN this experiMENTAL known ASZ TRUMPP! 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Nerm_L  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.3    4 years ago
Trump has exposed MANY flaws in a system that most thought would never have tolerated his likes. The GOP has proven that they have not a spine, and frontal lobotomies weren't supposed to make a comeback yet.

Yes, Trump has exposed many flaws in the system.  Why are Democrats defending, protecting, and institutionalizing those flaws?

Democrats have hamstrung any President they elect.  A Democratic President must obey the generals, the intelligence community, the Dept. of Justice, the State Dept., and the House without dissent.  A Democratic President cannot obstruct Congress by exerting executive privilege.  A Democratic President must give news organizations anything they ask for.  Otherwise a Democratic President will be just like Trump.

Or will Democrats become as spineless as Republicans?

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.5  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.4    4 years ago

There are major differences between being a rebel and an outlaw. Trump is definitely an outlaw loner.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.6  Nerm_L  replied to  CB @5.1.5    4 years ago
There are major differences between being a rebel and an outlaw. Trump is definitely an outlaw loner .

Is there?

Defenders of the status quo see an outlaw.  

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.7  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.6    4 years ago

Trump is a divider who could give a damn about the nation coming together. So what is your point? I mean real point, not the fake comparison one.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.8  Nerm_L  replied to  CB @5.1.7    4 years ago
Trump is a divider who could give a damn about the nation coming together. So what is your point? I mean real point, not the fake comparison one.

Republicans seem united and energized.  It's Democrats who are trying to create divisions among Trump's supporters while ignoring divisions within their own ranks.  Democrats aren't even trying to unite their own party.

Investigating a President isn't about unifying the country.  Impeaching a President isn't an exercise in unifying the country.  If Democrats are trying to unite the country by convincing everyone to hate Trump then it isn't working.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.9  CB  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.8    4 years ago

That simply is not attached to any discussion we're having. How is republican unity around a cheating, lying, boisterous, loud-mouth who sits like a fat rooster on the head of this nation and by extension the world, good for anybody not republicans? Others role in this country is not simply to live to make republicans and conservatives joyous.

Indeed, Impeached President Donald J. Trump has a responsibility to work for the whole of the citizenry, which he shirks so as to appease uncompromising right-wing talk radio and tv hosts and conservative writers.

You want something to unify the people? Try rallying around the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    4 years ago

"Why Trump is letting a corrupt Democrat out of prison"

PRISON REFORM ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

I thought Democrats liked that kinda stuff ! jrSmiley_38_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    4 years ago

Most sentences are too long - especially at the federal level. We need more commutations, not less.

The United States has the highest prison and jail population (2,121,600 in adult facilities in 2016), and the highest incarceration rate in the world (655 per 100,000 population in 2016). [1] According to the World Prison Population List (11th edition) there were around 10.35 million people in penal institutions worldwide in 2015. [2] The US had 2,173,800 prisoners in adult facilities in 2015. [3] That means the US held 21.0% of the world's prisoners in 2015, even though the US represented only around 4.4 percent of the world's population in 2015. [4] [5]

Comparing other English-speaking developed countries, whereas the incarceration rate of the US is 655 per 100,000 population of all ages, [1] the incarceration rate of Canada is 114 per 100,000 (as of 2015), [6] England and Wales is 146 per 100,000 (as of 2016), [7] and Australia is 160 per 100,000 (as of 2016). [8] Comparing other developed countries, the rate of Spain is 133 per 100,000 (as of 2016), [9] Greece is 89 per 100,000 (as of 2016), [10] Norway is 73 per 100,000 (as of 2016), [11] Netherlands is 69 per 100,000 (as of 2014), [12] and Japan is 48 per 100,000 (as of 2014). [13]

Comparing other countries with similar percentages of immigrants, Germany has a rate of 78 per 100,000 (as of 2017), [14] Italy is 96 per 100,000 (as of 2018), [15] and Saudi Arabia is 197 per 100,000 (as of 2017). [16] Comparing other countries with a zero tolerance policy for illegal drugs, the rate of Russia is 411 per 100,000 (as of 2018), [17] Kazakhstan is 194 per 100,000 (as of 2018), [18] Singapore is 201 per 100,000 (as of 2017), [19] and Sweden is 57 per 100,000 (as of 2016). [20]

The incarceration rate of the People's Republic of China varies depending on sources and measures. According to the World Prison Brief , the rate for only sentenced prisoners is 118 per 100,000 (as of 2015). The rate for prisoners including estimations for the number of pre-trial detainees and those in administrative detention is 164 per 100,000 (as of 2015). [21] In a 2010 interview Harry Wu , a U.S.-based human rights activist and ex-Chinese labor camp prisoner, estimates that "in the last 60 years, more than 40–50 million people" were in Chinese labor camps, [22] but that period includes the mass incarcerations of the 1950s or the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976) and is not representative of China in 2010.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1  Tacos!  replied to  Tacos! @7    4 years ago

OECD_incarceration_rates_by_country.gif

bugsy
Professor Participates
8  bugsy    4 years ago

I guess my question is...Why add the word corrupt to the title of a seed describing a democrat?

For the most part, it's pretty much a given, right?

freepress
Freshman Silent
9  freepress    4 years ago

In all truth, he honestly had no idea it was a Democrat, the crime fit what Trump knows he himself is guilty of, so it was a message. A message that the law doesn't matter, a message that if anyone of his corrupt associates is guilty he will let them off.