╌>

Science Discovers the Benefits of Christianity

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  heartland-american  •  4 years ago  •  107 comments

By:   Micheal R. Shannon

Science Discovers the Benefits of Christianity
One almost feels sorry for the good doctors. Heretofore they had pitied these poor, superstitious people with their invisible deity. Science was perfectly willing to let them practice their harmless rituals as long as it didn’t interfere with the catering at same–sex weddings. But now Baptists have managed to extend life and worse yet, they are doing it to conservatives! How do they approach these people? It’s more awkward than Mike Bloomberg dining on scrapple with a coal miner.

This study is no surprise to the open minded among us.  The benefits of religious observances and Christian life styles have been well known for some time.  This is truly good news for most people.  

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

CNN issued a study a while back that found regularly attending church may increase a Christian’s lifespan while at the same time helping “them stay grounded and [providing] spiritual guidance.” I’m guessing this positive benefit results from the additional sleep gained by snoozing during boring sermons.

Christianity-Gary-McCoy-250x209.png

Gary McCoy

Regular readers know this column normally takes a dim view of social “science” studies, but an exception will be made in this instance for two reasons. First no taxpayer dollars appear to have been wasted and two, there is no evidence of confirmation bias. The results no doubt came as a real shock to the Harvard team analyzing the data.

Specifically Prof. Tyler VanderWeele crunched the numbers from 75,000 nurses as part of a Nurses Health Study. This study asked if participants regularly attended Protestant or Catholic services during a 20–year period covering.

What the team probably expected to find was over the years — as the curve of history bent toward bathroom chaos — church attendance would drop off and attendance at homosexual weddings would increase, while those still clinging to church would show signs of clinical depression.

And there would be a statistically significant boost in Wicca adherents.

None of that happened. Instead researchers “found that women who went to church more than once a week had a 33 percent lower risk of dying during the study period compared with those who said they never went. Less-frequent attendance was also associated with a lower risk of death, as women who attended once a week or less than weekly had 26 percent and 13 percent lower risk of death, respectively.”

It’s obvious a nurse attending church events more than once a week wouldn’t have time for any vice as time–consuming as alcoholism, so cirrhosis was certainly out. But that’s not the only dangerous habit church helped avoid. Regardless of how inspiring the sermon was, these women “also had higher rates of social support and optimism, had lower rates of depression and were less likely to smoke.”

These results are enough to send pastors, priests and the chairmen of building committees jumping for joy, but Harvard scientists were, to put it mildly, less enthusiastic. Although it pains him so say so, those homo–haters may be on to something: “Our study suggests that for health, the benefits outweigh the potentially negative effects, such as guilt, anxiety or intolerance,” VanderWeele sniffed.

The study didn’t include other religions, although dietary restrictions alone would appear to give Orthodox Jews a leg up. On the other hand, results for Islam would be very dependent on whether or not the mosque offers advanced explosive classes.

Naysayers pooh–pooh the results by contending church attracts people who are already healthy, since they are more mobile. This just proves those atheists have never attended a traditional service — also known as the “assisted living” service — in a Baptist church. There the sermon and gentle hiss of portable oxygen serves to lull everyone to sleep.

Even with the results in, the meaning appears to elude our secular observers. CNN interviewed Dr. Dan Blazer of Duke University who contends that since most Americans tell pollsters they are “spiritual” going to church puts their actions congruent with their beliefs.

But people don’t go to church because they are “spiritual,” they go to church because they are Christians. The “spiritual” people are communing on the 9 th  hole or contorting themselves into yoga pants.

Blazer said the jury is still out on whether praying and reading the Bible also increase longevity, but like the Jewish grandmother says, “It couldn’t hurt!”

One almost feels sorry for the good doctors. Heretofore they had pitied these poor, superstitious people with their invisible deity. Science was perfectly willing to let them practice their harmless rituals as long as it didn’t interfere with the catering at same–sex weddings.

But now Baptists have managed to extend life and worse yet, they are doing it to conservatives!

How do they approach these people? It’s more awkward than Mike Bloomberg dining on scrapple with a coal miner.

Blatz is ready to delegate contact to primary care doctors. “…the doctor can help ensure they maintain a good relationship with their church, temple or mosque.” In other words take two Sunday services and one dinner in Fellowship Hall and call me in two weeks.

The truth is Christianity is a social engineer’s dream. A study in the UK, reported by The Telegraph, found religious people “are healthier and take fewer sick days.” In addition, “more religious a person is, the less likely they are to suffer from anxiety, depression or exhaustion.”

This is fiscal heaven in connection with Medicare for All. Fewer users mean lower costs. Backsliders thinking about jettisoning God, Jesus and sin, may discover under Bernie’s administration that HHS has made Christianity mandatory for everyone baptized before 2020.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

These results are enough to send pastors, priests and the chairmen of building committees jumping for joy, but Harvard scientists were, to put it mildly, less enthusiastic. Although it pains him so say so, those homo–haters may be on to something: “Our study suggests that for health, the benefits outweigh the potentially negative effects, such as guilt, anxiety or intolerance,” VanderWeele sniffed.

The study didn’t include other religions, although dietary restrictions alone would appear to give Orthodox Jews a leg up. On the other hand, results for Islam would be very dependent on whether or not the mosque offers advanced explosive classes.

Naysayers pooh–pooh the results by contending church attracts people who are already healthy, since they are more mobile. This just proves those atheists have never attended a traditional service — also known as the “assisted living” service — in a Baptist church. There the sermon and gentle hiss of portable oxygen serves to lull everyone to sleep.

Even with the results in, the meaning appears to elude our secular observers. CNN interviewed Dr. Dan Blazer of Duke University who contends that since most Americans tell pollsters they are “spiritual” going to church puts their actions congruent with their beliefs.

But people don’t go to church because they are “spiritual,” they go to church because they are Christians. The “spiritual” people are communing on the 9 th  hole or contorting themselves into yoga pants.

Blazer said the jury is still out on whether praying and reading the Bible also increase longevity, but like the Jewish grandmother says, “It couldn’t hurt!”

One almost feels sorry for the good doctors. Heretofore they had pitied these poor, superstitious people with their invisible deity. Science was perfectly willing to let them practice their harmless rituals as long as it didn’t interfere with the catering at same–sex weddings.

But now Baptists have managed to extend life and worse yet, they are doing it to conservatives!  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    4 years ago
CNN issued a study a while back that found regularly attending church may increase a Christian’s lifespan while at the same time helping “them stay grounded and [providing] spiritual guidance.” 

I can see this.    A key benefit of religion is that it does indeed bring comfort.   Comfort reduces stress and that is good for longevity.

I would recommend a nutritious diet, exercise, interesting past-times, etc. as a better approach to managing stress.    But for those who are inclined to believe something simply because other human beings claimed it is true sans evidence, then at least there is a benefit of comfort and a corresponding reduction is life-shortening stress.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @3    4 years ago

What's the old saying TiG: "[willful] Ignorance is bliss"

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1    4 years ago

A state of existence common to the majority of secularists in the country.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.1    4 years ago

Yet another irrational and wholly unsubstantiated claim.     jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @3.1.2    4 years ago

And not surprising in the least.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.3    4 years ago

[deleted]

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
3.2  Drakkonis  replied to  TᵢG @3    4 years ago
I would recommend a nutritious diet, exercise, interesting past-times, etc. as a better approach to managing stress.   

Why? What would be better about that?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Drakkonis @3.2    4 years ago

If you took my entire comment as a whole it would make more sense:

TiG @3 ☞ I would recommend a nutritious diet, exercise, interesting past-times, etc. as a better approach to managing stress.    But for those who are inclined to believe something simply because other human beings claimed it is true sans evidence, then at least there is a benefit of comfort and a corresponding reduction is life-shortening stress.

It should be no surprise to you that I would not recommend people believe in something sans evidence to reduce stress but rather to take direct actions that are good for the body and mind.   But if some use religion then that is net good because stress is a killer.   If belief keeps one from dying young (and causes no other ill effects i.e. Islamic honor killings, homosexual persecution, ...) then that is a good thing.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.2.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to    4 years ago

Lots of hot and sweaty sex!

WALLY GONE WILD!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    4 years ago
"Science Discovers The Benefits Of Christianity"

Really this is more aptly titled:   A Comforting Belief Might be Good for a Longer Life.

Note also that another comforting belief is Islam.  Another is Buddhism.   Another Hindu.   Indeed, for some Scientology is a comforting belief.

Go figure, eh?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @4    4 years ago

Meditation also has similar effects too. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1    4 years ago

If someone really wants to extend life I would suggest dropping Christianity and embracing Zen Buddhism .

Of course being unaffiliated (e.g. agnostic atheist, ...) is better.

But best is to be a Jew.

PF_15.04.02_ch1graphics_lifeExpectancyRe

Christianity is a bit low on the list per Pew.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1    4 years ago

A reading of the article would disagree with that assertion 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.2    4 years ago

So, are you going to upgrade to Buddhism, Judaism or go full atheist to get that longer lifetime?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.3    4 years ago

No.  I’m going to stay in a first world nation and remain a Christian here.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.5    4 years ago

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.2    4 years ago
A reading of the article would disagree with that assertion 

How so? Religious belief can have similar mental effects as meditation does: stress reduction and comfort, thereby promoting better health . Many religions also developed and/or incorporate meditation into their practices. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.8  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.1    4 years ago
Of course being unaffiliated (e.g. agnostic atheist, ...) is better.

I do find myself to be quite content as an atheist. 

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
4.2  JumpDrive  replied to  TᵢG @4    4 years ago
A Comforting Belief Might be Good for a Longer Life .

There's a similar study done in Scotland, but it covered 65 years rather than only 25. It found that simply participating in a club at age 18 was associated with a 33% lower mortality rate at age 76. People who seek out the support of others live longer.

Married men live longer than single, and if you marry after 25, you live even longer. Church is just another club and it provides support, but there's doesn't appear to be anything more special about it than any other club. I come from an enormous family and many are practicing Catholics. It seems to be especially useful at life's end. Although not a believer myself, I see that it has a comforting effect on many. They believe they'll see the person again, and a church filled with people who care about their loved one obviously helps them. But, none of them wield their religion as cover for bigotry. This article on the goodness of going to church makes sure to mention homosexuality a couple times in a negative context, even though it is irrelevant. It's looking for justification to be bigoted.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  JumpDrive @4.2    4 years ago

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.2  TᵢG  replied to  JumpDrive @4.2    4 years ago

Comfort is key I think.

This article on the goodness of going to church makes sure to mention homosexuality a couple times in a negative context, even though it is irrelevant. It's looking for justification to be bigoted.

Good point.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.1    4 years ago

Out of curiosity, do you think many people follow a comment whose only content is a link?

I do not.   I figure if the author of the comment does not feel it worth his time to make a point in his own words, I do not feel it is worth my time to investigate his link.   I am not even curious.

I wonder how many others ignore comments that are nothing more than a link.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.1    4 years ago

All three are examplesnof Christians living longer.  ONE SMALL THING

What 'Blue Zone' city Loma Linda, California can teach us about living longer

What's the secret behind Lomo Linda's healthy population? A "Garden of Eden" diet, no drinking, no caffeine — and no outside pressure to ‘cheat’.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.2    4 years ago

What is bigoted is people coercing others to do, write, say things that are complete and total abominations and satanic inspired evil according to their beliefs in order to meet their desires.  These hate filled revenge seeking bigots demanding the coercion of believers are the problem here.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.3    4 years ago

All three of my links show how Christians live longer than non believers and why. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.7  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.5    4 years ago

jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.2.8  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.5    4 years ago

"All aboard the crazy train !!"

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.9  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.5    4 years ago

What on Earth are you talking about?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.10  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.9    4 years ago

I am talking about the open persecution of Christians by the lgbt community.  The photo at the top of the seed has it exactly right.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.11  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @4.2.8    4 years ago

That train is quite segregated.  For secular progressives only.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.12  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.7    4 years ago

A perfect illustration of how secularists respond when confronted by the superior lifestyles of the observant theists. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.13  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.10    4 years ago
I am talking about the open persecution of Christians by the lgbt community.  The photo at the top of the seed has it exactly right.  

I think you have it backwards.   It is certain sects of Christianity that openly persecute the LGBTQ community.    You must be aware of this.    You know, people using labels such as 'abomination', deeming their relationships a sin, etc.   You are aware that some call for them to be put to death, right?

Very strange to see reality in exact opposition to what is actually happening.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.14  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.12    4 years ago

You are projecting an 'I am better than you' message.   Is that your intent?   

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.15  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.12    4 years ago
A perfect illustration of how secularists respond when confronted by the superior lifestyles of the observant theists. 

No, it's the perfect response to the asinine BS you spew.

I am talking about the open persecution of Christians by the lgbt community.

Wow, now that's hilarious. Tee old persecution complex shines through again. It's clearly been the LGBT community that has been "persecuted" by Christians. Not the other way around. By all means, I defy you to demonstrate where Christians have been "persecuted" by the LGBT community, or anyone else for that matter!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.16  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.14    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.17  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.13    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.18  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.15    4 years ago

To have my expression described by you as asinine bs is a badge of honor to me.  Thanks!  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.19  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.17    4 years ago

Who is the "we" you're always talking about?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.20  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.16    4 years ago

[deleted]

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.22  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.17    4 years ago

Not all believe in your God or any God, so the God point is MOOT

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.23  Texan1211  replied to  lady in black @4.2.20    4 years ago

removed for context

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.2.24  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.23    4 years ago

would you prefer to be more on or less off ?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.2.25  igknorantzrulz  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.2.24    4 years ago

target

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.27  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.16    4 years ago

If someone routinely makes demonstrably ridiculous claims and is (of course) routinely challenged on same and then fails to ever meet the challenge, I suspect that individual might view his challengers as intellectually arrogant.    I would recommend not making ridiculous claims such as:  evolution is pseudoscience — a worldwide conspiracy of godless scientists.    

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.28  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.17    4 years ago
It is as we said.  Gay sex is an abomination in the eyes of God and all sex outside of oneman and one woman married to each other is living  in sin.  

Well said.   My point is made.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.29  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.27    4 years ago

The point is that our world view from religion to politics to economics are separated by irreconcilable differences that neither of us are going to persuade the other to the opposing point of view.  I’m comfortable in those differences and can live with the fact that you will never ever bring me to your point of view now matter what you say here and vice versa.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.30  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.28    4 years ago

Gods law and His word never changes even if some humans think they have evolved enough to consider themselves the final arbiter of morality in the place of God. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.31  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.29    4 years ago

I doubt anyone here is trying to persuade you of anything for obvious reasons.   For me, the objective is to challenge absurd claims.   

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.32  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.30    4 years ago

You claim knowledge of God’s laws because you read from a highly translated, errant book composed by many imperfect human being over thousands of years with no original source to review.

Accepting the Bible as divine is a fundamental mistake.   That which contradicts itself is not something that should be held in such perfect regard.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.33  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.17    4 years ago

Those of us who believe in a literal interpretation of the Christian Bible in all matters including human sexuality will continue to express them in the face of secular intolerance...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.34  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.31    4 years ago

No they just censor such opposing views because it makes them angry and uncomfortable to know that there are some who will never abandon God or his law no matter what they thin, say, or do to us. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.35  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.33    4 years ago

Declaring continued proselytizing is not imparting any new information.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.36  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.32    4 years ago

The fundamental mistake is in not accepting all of The Holy Bible as divine and inerrant. It is the Word of God to humanity expressed through inspired human writers, except for the words of God themselves requiring no human interpretation.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.37  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.34    4 years ago

I wonder if you read the comment that you responded to.   Not seeing the connection.   

I told you that I doubt anyone is trying to persuade you of anything.   Instead, I suspect the objective (it is for me) is to counter ridiculous claims.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.38  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.36    4 years ago
The fundamental mistake is in not accepting all of The Holy Bible as divine and inerrant .

Letting this jrSmiley_115_smiley_image.png speak for itself. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.39  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.35    4 years ago

Saying that all sex of any kind outside the bond of one man one woman marriage to each other is a sin is not proselytizing.  It’s just something that makes those living in sin uncomfortable and we can’t have that can we?  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.40  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.39    4 years ago

Are you really Dr Laura?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.41  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.37    4 years ago

It is secular humanism it is an absurd claim.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.42  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.39    4 years ago
Saying that all sex of any kind outside the bond of one man one woman marriage to each other is a sin is not proselytizing.

Strawman.

It’s just something that makes those living in sin uncomfortable and we can’t have that can we?  

Such an enlightened perspective.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.43  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.40    4 years ago

no, are you?  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.44  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.41    4 years ago
It is secular humanism it is an absurd claim.

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif     Here we go again ...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.45  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.33    4 years ago
Those of us who believe in a literal interpretation of the Christian Bible

Does that mean you literally believe that a beast with 10 heads will rise up out of the sea? And that 4 guys on horse back really will spread disease, war, and famine all over the earth?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.46  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.45    4 years ago

Worse even:

Exodus 21:20-21 New Living Translation (NLT) 20 “If a man beats his male or female slave with a club and the slave dies as a result, the owner must be punished. 21 But if the slave recovers within a day or two, then the owner shall not be punished, since the slave is his property.

and:

Leviticus 20:13 New International Version (NIV) 13 “‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable.They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Great passages for the literal readers.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.47  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.43    4 years ago

that's funny! She says the same shit you do about sex and marriage

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.48  Ender  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.39    4 years ago

Easy problem to solve. Stop looking into other peoples bedrooms.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.49  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.46    4 years ago

Yeah....it is absurd. If they believe in the inerrant Word of God and literally believe every word, how come they don't have slaves any longer?

I ask my question above because I've always heard this bullshit about literal truth of the bible but when it comes to Revelation it's all allegorical. They don't believe that a literal Beast with 10 horns (or is it crowns? heads?) will rise out of the sea to take over the world.

But why is Revelation allegorical when the rest of the Bible is the literal truth?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.50  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.49    4 years ago

This seems obvious to me.

If the Bible is the inerrant word of a perfect, omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent creator of everything and sentient arbiter of objective morality, then why is it that the Bible never condemns as immoral the owning of another human being as property but instead makes rules for 'proper' enslavement?

Similarly, how is it that an omniscient creator, can be surprised or disappointed by His creations?    How could God not know what Adam & Eve were going to do?   Talk about the grand setup for failure.    Like me placing raw meat in front of my dog and then punishing her for eating it.    And then the moderated, wise punishment is to punish all their progeny for all of earthly time.  Sound more like the musing of ancient men than the willful act of the grandest possible entity.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.51  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.45    4 years ago

Those prophecies have already happened or will happen as they are representing future events at the time they were made.  Some of Daniel and much of Revelation was written in a way that it wouldn’t be understood until much later so that those it was directed toward wouldn’t be able to remove it.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.52  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.49    4 years ago
They don't believe that a literal Beast with 10 horns (or is it crowns? heads?) will rise out of the sea to take over the world.

Some actually believe that God picks all the world's leaders and has done this for all of history.

Romans 13:1New International Version (NIV) 13 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities,for there is no authority except that which God has established.  The authorities that exist have been established by God

And when the obvious questions are raised such as Stalin, Hitler, ..., Trump the response is that they (the evil ones) are part of God's greater plan.   (The Lord works in mysterious ways.)    

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.53  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.51    4 years ago

A beast with 10 heads has risen out of the sea and the media didn't cover it???????

Some of Daniel and much of Revelation was written in a way that it wouldn’t be understood until much later so that those it was directed toward wouldn’t be able to remove it.

That's a non-answer. Every other word in the Bible according to you is the literal truth, but now you're back tracking on the meaning of Revelation.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.54  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.50    4 years ago
Similarly, how is it that an omniscient creator, can be surprised or disappointed by His creations?    How could God not know what Adam & Eve were going to do? 

It's like parents and kids. We know they're gonna do something dumb but we get mad at them anyway. And then punish them for it. Then we curse them and tell them they are going to have kids just as bad as they are.

Maybe parents are God?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.55  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.52    4 years ago

Why would God set such a monster like Hitler on his Chosen People? That makes ZERO sense. Stalin wasn't very nice to Jews, either.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.56  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.54    4 years ago

The key difference though is parents do not actually control the kids.   We did not create them nor do we have perfect knowledge of what they will do.

God, in contrast, ostensibly created Adam & Eve knowing full well what they would eventually do and then He punished everyone for it.   The logic is ... bizarre.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.57  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.55    4 years ago

The best answer you will get is akin to:  'The Lord works in mysterious ways'.    The grand excuse to cease critical thinking and simply believe.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.58  Tessylo  replied to  JumpDrive @4.2    4 years ago

'But, none of them wield their religion as cover for bigotry. This article on the goodness of going to church makes sure to mention homosexuality a couple times in a negative context, even though it is irrelevant.'

I noticed that, they managed to toss in some transgender bigotry also - see the 'bathroom chaos' mention?

'What the team probably expected to find was over the years — as the curve of history bent toward bathroom chaos — church attendance would drop off and attendance at homosexual weddings would increase, while those still clinging to church would show signs of clinical depression.'

And what's this?????

And this slam on Islam

'The study didn’t include other religions, although dietary restrictions alone would appear to give Orthodox Jews a leg up. On the other hand, results for Islam would be very dependent on whether or not the mosque offers advanced explosive classes.'

Another slam on homosexuals

'One almost feels sorry for the good doctors. Heretofore they had pitied these poor, superstitious people with their invisible deity. Science was perfectly willing to let them practice their harmless rituals as long as it didn’t interfere with the catering at same–sex weddings.'

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.59  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.56    4 years ago
The logic is ... bizarre.

There is no logic.

eh-hem....I think I did create my children. I incubated them for a period of time after their dad did his job.

But...yeah...I never did control my kids. They did whatever they damn well pleased.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.60  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.57    4 years ago

Oh yeah...the "Mommy, why is the sky blue?" question. And since you're exhausted you give the lame answer..."It just is"

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.61  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.59    4 years ago

By 'create' I meant 'designed'.   We parents know all too well that kids do not behave the way we would prefer.   We just have to work with whatever results from the 'process'.   God, in contrast, has full control over all operations and chose (ostensibly) to make Adam & Eve in such a way that they would misbehave.   That is the grand setup.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.62  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.18    4 years ago

You sure set the bar quite low then. Of course, that's not something I'd be proud of. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.63  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.29    4 years ago

That sounds like the definition of closed mindedness.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.64  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.30    4 years ago

The Bible itself demonstrate's that statement to be false. But, if God is the arbiter of morality, then is slavery moral?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.65  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.33    4 years ago

You are free to do so, just as anyone else is free to challenge them.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.66  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @4.2.58    4 years ago

The article is correct in its dealing with what you refer to.  Many secularists do use the top term to describe Christians who actually follow all Biblical teachings.  As to the second point, are you denying that there are radical Islamist madrassas out there that teach acts of terrorism to their followers?  As to the third point, it’s the best and most right on as the gay lobby really does want to make some Christians slaves to them to force them to act in violation of their religious beliefs in order to get their own selfish needs met by them instead of another willing person.  Those things you point out are the highlights of the article and right on in every way.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.2.67  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.33    4 years ago

Those of us who believe in a literal interpretation of the Christian Bible in all matters

You mean like this :

• When a woman has a discharge, if her discharge in her body is blood, she shall continue in her menstrual impurity for seven days; and whoever touches her shall be unclean until evening. Everything also on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean, and everything on which she sits shall be unclean. Leviticus 15: 19-20
  • When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand. Deuteronomy 25:11-12
  • You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT
  • He [Josiah] executed the priests of the pagan shrines on their own altars, and he burned human bones on the altars to desecrate them.... He did this in obedience to all the laws written in the scroll that Hilkiah the priest had found in the LORD's Temple. Never before had there been a king like Josiah, who turned to the LORD with all his heart and soul and strength, obeying all the laws of Moses. And there has never been a king like him since. 2 Kings 23:20-25 NLT
  • If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.68  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lady in black @4.2.22    4 years ago

That’s true.  The thing is that those who do not should not begrudge those who do the extra health and years of life that the lifestyle of those who do believe generally receive .  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.69  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @4.2.67    4 years ago

Except that all the ceremonial laws regarding the temple and sacrifice along with the communal laws having to do with the exodus and the following country of Israel from its founding to the cross were nailed to the cross no longer to be observed.  The dietary laws as to meat to eat goes all the way back to Noah and the ark and Gods law as described by the 10 commandments predates creation and is eternal.  The rest of what you pointed out no longer applies to us under the new covenant. The people of the first covenant were following God leading up to the Messiah and the cross ✝️ we are of the second covenant going from the Messiah and the cross to the 2nd coming.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.2.70  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.69    4 years ago

Your first and last sentences are incoherent. 

But I have to ask, what happened to the god in the first covenant ? Did y'all just kick that one to the curb ?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.71  TᵢG  replied to  pat wilson @4.2.70    4 years ago

Even worse, there is no definition for the new covenant.   It is not known what part of the old covenant (which itself is under debate; 'experts' disagree) is retained in the new.    People who speak of old and new covenants do not know what they are talking about.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.72  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lady in black @4.2.22    4 years ago

No one asked you to believe or is trying to make you do so.  The article is about science finding that due to a variety of factors such as lifestyle, diet, certain abstinence’s, Bible reading, prayer, community bonds, faith, hope, more positive outlooks, etc. that Christians are in general healthier than non believers and generally statistically speaking live longer lives.  No one is forcing better health or longer lives or the things needed to achieve them on anyone.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.73  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @4.2.71    4 years ago

Jesus fulfilled the first covenant when he died on the cross and was resurrected.  The second covenant is The Risen Savior and is expressed through out the gospels and the New Testament with its supporting references within to the old and since the disciples and original eye witnesses died off can only be had by faith alone in the resurected savior who clearly stated that in the second covenant none can come to the Father or have eternal life except through Him. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.2.74  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.2.73    4 years ago

Deliver the authoritative source which defines what is included in the 'first covenant' and what is included in the 'second covenant'.   The OT and the NT do not define these covenants so you need to do better than simply point to the Bible.

Unless you can deliver the authoritative source for these covenants (and I know that you cannot because the source does not exist) you are simply opining.

The best you (and anyone else) can do is give a general description of the covenants;  I recommend you follow the lead of Judaism in this regard.   You cannot, however, show that Mosaic law such as Leviticus 20:13 has carried forward and is still in effect.   Important since Christians use the covenants to distance themselves from awkward parts of the OT and the distinctions in Judaism do not provide that for them.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

The Connection Between Religion, Praying and Living Longer | Time

You Asked: Do Religious People Live Longer?

Illustration by Pete Ryan for TIME

Jamie Ducharme

February 15, 2018

If a long life is what you’re after, going to church may be the answer to your prayers.

A number of studies have shown associations between attending religious services and living a long time. One of the most comprehensive, published in JAMA Internal Medicine in 2016, found that women who went to any kind of religious service more than once a week had a 33% lower chance than their secular peers of dying during the 16-year study-follow-up period. Another study, published last year in PLOS One, found that regular service attendance was linked to reductions in the body’s stress responses and even in mortality–so much so that worshippers were 55% less likely to die during the up to 18-year follow-up period than people who didn’t frequent the temple, church or mosque.

You don’t have to become a nun to get these health benefits, however. The simple act of congregating with a like-minded community might deserve much of the credit. Tyler VanderWeele, one of the authors of the JAMA study and a professor of epidemiology at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, says factors related to churchgoing–like having a network of social support, an optimistic attitude, better self-control and a sense of purpose in life–may account for the long-life benefits seen in his study and others.

Indeed, it’s also the values drawn from religious tradition–such as “respect, compassion, gratitude, charity, humility, harmony, meditation and preservation of health”–that seem to predict longevity, not the dogma preached at the altar, says Howard Friedman, a professor of psychology at the University of California, Riverside, and co-author of the book The Longevity Project.

Fostering these qualities may even affect rates of chronic disease, says Marino Bruce, a co-author of the PLOS One study and a research associate professor of medicine, health and society at Vanderbilt University. “Having that sense that you’re not in the world alone, that you are part of a power larger than oneself, can give one confidence to deal with the issues of life,” Bruce says. “Biologically, if that reduces stress, then that means you’re less likely to have high blood pressure or diabetes or things that can increase mortality.”

But what if organized religion isn’t your style? Can solo prayer–or even a more abstract sense of faith or spirituality–provide the same payoff?

It’s difficult to say with certainty, because going to church is easier to measure than the intimate, individual way a person might practice religion. And the research on praying has been mixed. Some studies have found that prayer can improve disease outcomes and prolong survival, while others have been less conclusive. One 2006 study published in the American Heart Journal even found that people who knew they were being prayed for before undergoing heart surgery were more likely to experience complications than people who didn’t know whether they were in others’ prayers.

But prayer has been shown to be powerful, in at least one way. It triggers the relaxation response, a state of mind-body rest that has been shown to decrease stress, heart rate and blood pressure; alleviate chronic disease symptoms; and even change gene expression. This state is typically linked to activities like meditation and yoga, and research suggests it can also be found through praying.

Given that uncertainty and the accumulating evidence supporting communal religious participation, VanderWeele says solitary practitioners might want to consider congregating every once in a while.

“Might you be missing out on something–the power of religion and spirituality–by not participating communally?” VanderWeele says. “That’s not saying, ‘You should have religious beliefs to live longer.’ That’s saying, ‘You already hold these beliefs. Maybe it would be worthwhile to consider communal participation.'”

–JAMIE DUCHARME

This appears in the February 26, 2018 issue of TIME.

Write to Jamie Ducharme at jamie.ducharme@time.com.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5159848/do-religious-people-live-longer/%3famp=true

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6    4 years ago

It is clearly less stressful believing something that which is considered comforting than facing a reality that might be uncomfortable.

truth1.jpg

Believing that one is never truly gone and that we will all see departed loved ones again is comforting.   Believing that all the worries such as pandemics, global warming, nuclear war, etc. will never happen because God ' has our back ' is certainly more comforting than facing reality.

No doubt about it, alternate realities can be comforting.    Drugs and alcohol similarly bring comfort too.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @6.2    4 years ago

That picture is the ultimate deception.  Jesus said that wide is the reassuring highway to destruction, and narrow is the path to salvation.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.2.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  TᵢG @6.2    4 years ago

Really?  You think 🤔 that Drugs 💊  and alcohol 🍺 extend people’s life times?  

[Further abuse of the impasse function will result in loss of the ability to issue an impasse.]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.2.2    4 years ago

The absurdity of that interpretation should have been your first clue that you have not read carefully.

I was talking about 'comfort':

TiG @6.2 ☞ Drugs and alcohol similarly bring comfort too.

See the word 'comfort'?

So now put this all together.   I was making the point that just because something brings comfort does not mean that it is necessarily a good thing.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.4  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.2.1    4 years ago
That picture is the ultimate deception.  Jesus said that wide is the reassuring highway to destruction, and narrow is the path to salvation.  

Looks spot on to me.   Observe the world's religions.   Are they all truths?    Then obviously there are a bunch of comforting lies being told.

This is not difficult to figure out.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

But people don’t go to church because they are “spiritual,” they go to church because they are Christians. The “spiritual” people are communing on the 9 th  hole or contorting themselves into yoga pants.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9  sandy-2021492    4 years ago
It’s obvious a nurse attending church events more than once a week wouldn’t have time for any vice as time–consuming as alcoholism, so cirrhosis was certainly out.

Now this just cracks me up.  I've known quite a few holy rollers who were hung over in the pews on Sunday morning.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
10  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

How do they approach these people? It’s more awkward than Mike Bloomberg dining on scrapple with a coal miner.

Blatz is ready to delegate contact to primary care doctors. “…the doctor can help ensure they maintain a good relationship with their church, temple or mosque.” In other words take two Sunday services and one dinner in Fellowship Hall and call me in two weeks.

The truth is Christianity is a social engineer’s dream. A study in the UK, reported by The Telegraph, found religious people “are healthier and take fewer sick days.” In addition, “more religious a person is, the less likely they are to suffer from anxiety, depression or exhaustion.” 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
10.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @10    4 years ago

The mass secularist response with bitterness and anger over these findings that there are human and tangible benefits to our lifestyle and beliefs has been almost as interesting as the study itself.