╌>

Nebraska mall plans to reopen despite climbing virus cases

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  58 comments

By:   JOSH FUNK Associated Press

Nebraska mall plans to reopen despite climbing virus cases
Douglas, Sarpy and Lancaster counties, which include Omaha and Lincoln and their suburbs, had seen a total of 349 cases...about 40% of the statewide total of 871.

Related NT Seeds

1. South Dakota Gov. Noem, Who Opposed Stay-Home Order, Now Faces Coronavirus Hot Spot

2. Fauci Refuses To Say When It Would Be Safe To Reopen Trump’s Mouth

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Nebraska Crossing Outlet shopping mall is seen in Gretna, Neb., Tuesday, April 14, 2020. The outlet mall near Omaha plans to reopen later this month even as the number of coronavirus cases and deaths continues to grow in the state. The owner of the Nebraska Crossing Outlets says their experience will be a case study of best practices for other malls although it is not immediately clear how many stores will reopen when the mall does. (AP Photo/Nati Harnik)

The Nebraska Crossing Outlet shopping mall is seen in Gretna, Neb., Tuesday, April 14, 2020. The outlet mall near Omaha plans to reopen later this month even as the number of coronavirus cases and deaths continues to grow in the state. The owner of the Nebraska Crossing Outlets says their experience will be a case study of best practices for other malls although it is not immediately clear how many stores will reopen when the mall does. (AP Photo/Nati Harnik) The Associated Press

Retail analyst Jon Reily said he doesn’t think the mall will be successful with its reopening plans because consumers will likely be reluctant to shop there.

“People are very cautious,” said Reily, who is senior vice president of global commerce strategy at Isobar. “I don’t know if old patterns of going to the mall to buy nonessential items are really going to stick.”

Nebraska is one of the few states that still allows malls to be open even though many businesses are closed because the state prohibits gatherings of more than 10 people and limits restaurants and bars to take out and delivery services.

The outlet sits next to a heavily traveled stretch of Interstate 80 about halfway between Omaha and Lincoln. Douglas, Sarpy and Lancaster counties, which include Omaha and Lincoln and their suburbs, had seen a total of 349 cases as of Tuesday morning. That’s about 40% of the statewide total of 871 cases of COVID-19 and 18 deaths linked to the disease.

The mall plans to reopen April 24, which would be roughly the same time state officials expect the number of Nebraska coronavirus cases to peak.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

The mall plans to reopen April 24, which would be roughly the same time state officials expect the number of Nebraska coronavirus cases to peak.

Brilliant-- absolutely brilliant!

/sarc

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1    4 years ago

Well, I suppose there is one thing we can all be grateful for-- at least the Corona Virus is not very contagious!

/double sarcasm..with a cherry on top!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @1    4 years ago

Republican motto:  Money over people 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    4 years ago
Republican motto:  Money over people 

That's weird, isn't it a "Republican" …… President ……  that closed things off in this country because of Covid-19 ?

I'm sure you'd agree, eventually (Hopefully sooner than later)….this Country MUST OPEN FOR BUSINESS SOON !

If not....the Gov. is gonna have a hard time paying the "PROFESSIONAL Sit at home folks" without the income from "Actual Working Folk"..

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     4 years ago

Another example of a brain dead decision. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @2    4 years ago

Yep.

Reminds me of an old saying:

There's no cure for 'Stuck on Stupid'

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Tessylo  replied to    4 years ago

[deleted]

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    4 years ago

Stupid is as stupid does

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  lady in black @3    4 years ago

Stupid is as stupid does

Correct.

But is that an actual saying-- or is it not a saying?

We must ask MUVA because he is a leading expert on whether or not something is a saying!

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to    4 years ago

Yes it is a saying while you can’t fix suck on stupid is not glad I could help.

No problem!

Your great exppertise in this matter is greately appreciated!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Will there be "SPECIALS" for people over 80 with underlying medical conditions?

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago

Will there be "SPECIALS" for people over 80 with underlying medical conditions?

That isn't a saying.

(Or at least I don't think its an actual saying...but of course I'm not an expert in determining whether or not something is a saying. On this site, only MUVA has the required level of expertise to discern the difference :-)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1    4 years ago
That isn't a saying.

Might possible be an "aphorism" though...????

(Its hard to know...)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1    4 years ago

Woo bo zhuh daow.  (Chinese for "I don't understand")

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5  It Is ME    4 years ago

"Retail analyst Jon Reily said he doesn’t think the mall will be successful with its reopening plans because consumers will likely be reluctant to shop there."

"Boredom" is a POWERFUL motivator !

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @5    4 years ago

I posted an article here with a list of 13 different things to do to prevent boredom or cabin fever during a long lockdown, and there is much that could be added to it.  I didn't leave my apartment for more than two months and wasn't bored for a minute.  I guess the more intelligent people are and/or have more varied interests, the less apt they are to be bored. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    4 years ago

Boredom has nothing to do with how "Intelligent" a person is. I read books, Cruise the internet, Clean the Pool, Work on the boat, mow the lawn, watch my flowers grow, etc....  but at times even that gets boring. I wouldn't make a good "Retired Person" !

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.1    4 years ago

Wife is having the same problem.... She just retired.  I warned her that I was concerned that she didn't have any hobbies to keep her mind occupied, and now has a bad case of cabin fever.

Me, I've still got all of my corporate project work, meetings, and emails that keep me running.  I'd love to have an unbroken period of four hours a day to work on some of my hobbies now  that we're back in the states.  I've got so much to do I can't get to them.

I'd like to start taking classes again... 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.2    4 years ago

I still work at times also, but construction has slowed waaaaaay down, so a small design or two helps break up the monotony of "Forced Retirement" right now. I do just play on the cadd and design weird houses just for the hell of it. Who knows, maybe one day someone will build my weird design and think of me as another Frank Lloyd Wright. Something to look forward to. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

I'm FUCKING BORED ! jrSmiley_42_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.1    4 years ago

Well perhaps if a person is more intelligent it's possible they may have more, and more varied, interests that helps to keep them from getting bored.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.4    4 years ago
Well perhaps if a person is more intelligent it's possible they may have more, and more varied, interests that helps to keep them from getting bored.  

There's all sorts of "Possibilities" out there, but that doesn't mean you still can't get bored !

Have you ever met a person that's "Intelligent" and "Boring" at the same time ?

Such a conundrum !

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.6  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.5    4 years ago
Have you ever met a person that's "Intelligent" and "Boring" at the same time ?

Yep.... they work in nuclear power applications

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.7  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.3    4 years ago

I can't help you with the boredom my friend, and I wish I could commiserate, but I can't.  Even as a kid I can't remember being bored when I was on my own. 

At relatives houses.... sure.

I have to be careful not to get distracted when on Skype/Teams meetings for work when people are droning on about fly shit.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.6    4 years ago

But do you listen intently, as long as THEY want to keep on, keeping on ? jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.7    4 years ago
Even as a kid I can't remember being bored when I was on my own

Aye, There's the rub ! jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Everyone is "Home" now, and the "Creative Juices" have MANY "distractors" right now (Pudgy Bunny, Mini Person, and Captain Chaos). jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

My office door doesn't have a "Lock" ! jrSmiley_104_smiley_image.jpg

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.10  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.9    4 years ago

I can see that drinking heavily won't solve your situation..... unless it is the distractors that you can keep sedated.

Hashed laced brownies?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.11  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.8    4 years ago

….Ha!  "Supply chain this..... vendors that".  When they start talking about injection molds, processing, and tact times, then I stop the "multi-tasking".  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.10    4 years ago
Hashed laced brownies?

Nah !  To much out there to "Need" that kinda "Shit" ! jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

The "Searching" is my "High" ! jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.13  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.11    4 years ago
….Ha!  "Supply chain this..... vendors that".  When they start talking about injection molds, processing, and tact times, then I stop the "multi-tasking".  

Bet I'd "BORE" you with my "Business Expertise" ! It even Bores me when I talk to myself at times. But, sometimes I need Real "Expert Advice".   jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

“Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there” - “They Laugh At me Because I’m Different. I laugh At Them Because The’re all the same” ― The Joker

“Those mob fools want you gone. So they can get back to the way things were. But I know the truth, there’s no going back. You’ve changed things…forever.” ― The Joker

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.1.14  Veronica  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.7    4 years ago
I have to be careful not to get distracted when on Skype/Teams meetings for work when people are droning on about fly shit.

I get that.  I hate the meetings we are subjected to.  

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.15  FLYNAVY1  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.13    4 years ago

It works both ways.  I'm a grunt hands-on engineer, and I can tell in meetings with finance types that they couldn't care less about plant engineering.  

We are both good at what we do, otherwise it wouldn't be worth doing.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.16  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.15    4 years ago
We are both good at what we do, otherwise it wouldn't be worth doing.

"Exactly" ……. what we all think. There's always that "One" person that doesn't think "We are" though.

That one person is the "Most Important" !

Get that one "On Board", and you really have something.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.17  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Veronica @5.1.14    4 years ago

Like root canal work without the anesthetic at times isn't it....

Veronica
Professor Guide
5.1.18  Veronica  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.17    4 years ago

My boss caught me making a face at one ( I rolled my eyes, too) meeting when someone said something completely off topic which started a whole sidebar - She told me to be more careful and then laughed.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.19  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    4 years ago
  I guess the more intelligent people are and/or have more varied interests, the less apt they are to be bored. 

Yes, I have found that to be quite true over the years. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.20  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1.10    4 years ago
I can see that drinking heavily won't solve your situation.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.21  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.5    4 years ago

Okay then, my advice to you is try to sleep a lot. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.22  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5.1.19    4 years ago

Someone here actually disagrees with that.  LOL

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.23  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.21    4 years ago
Okay then, my advice to you is try to sleep a lot. 

LOL !

I wish ! I'm a 5 hr a night sleeper. Kinda sucks. jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.24  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.23    4 years ago

Me too.  Seems that as we get older we need less sleep, or maybe our bladder keeps waking us up.  When my kids were teenagers they could sleep for 12 hours or more without waking.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.25  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.24    4 years ago

Maybe our minds just have a short in the "off" switch ? jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
6  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

Boredom" is a POWERFUL motivator !

That isn't a saying..

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    4 years ago

Who knows what the right thing is? I am reluctant to go anywhere I don't absolutely have to.

If they can figure out a way to follow the distancing protocols, maybe they can pull it off. If they can help businesses and keep people healthy, that would be the ideal situation. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

Anyone care to guess which party the governor is a member of?

How in the world could that possibly be relevant?

Here's Nancy Pelosi at the end of February , hugging every warm body in Chinatown and urging everyone else to do the same. Seem smart? Guess which party she is a member of?

Veronica
Professor Guide
7.1  Veronica  replied to  Tacos! @7    4 years ago
I am reluctant to go anywhere I don't absolutely have to.

Me too.  When I do have to venture out I wear my mask & gloves & try to keep away from other people.  The stores in my area are limiting the number of people in the store right now.  I don't mind that, but waiting in line outside is not ideal right now - it is snowing again.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Veronica @7.1    4 years ago
I don't mind that, but waiting in line outside is not ideal right now - it is snowing again.

I guess it depends upon the store, but I have been having similar experiences. However I've found that often the line its shortest early in the day...getting there right when it opens (or 5 minutes before) tends to be the best time to avoid long lines.

Veronica
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Veronica  replied to  Krishna @7.1.1    4 years ago

I do try to get out first thing in the morning.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Veronica @7.1.2    4 years ago

Do you find that makes a difference?

I would imagine that while it may be different in different areas (or even with different stores) in most cases the crowds should be smaller earlier in the day (?)

Veronica
Professor Guide
7.1.4  Veronica  replied to  Krishna @7.1.3    4 years ago

It did in the beginning, but now it is a totally different animal. I plan on going out about an hour after the store opens and it seems to be more of a lull (weird).

I started having my groceries delivered, but that is now backed up for days.  So I will have to venture out to get the necessaries more often.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @7    4 years ago
Guess which party she is a member of?

That was then...this is now.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

That was then...this is now.

Although that isn't an actual "saying"...it does seems to be like one!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

I can recall that after the huge north-east power outage that lasted a long time, nine months or so later a lot of babies were born. Didn't something like that happen after WW2 ended and the soldiers came home?

I predict that around 9 months from now there will be one hell of a surge in childbirths.  

(and there are members here who don't know what to do in order to not be bored, LOL)

Krishna
Professor Expert
10  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

Do you find that makes a difference?

I would imagine that while it may be different in different areas (or even with different stores) in most cases the crowds should be smaller earlier in the day (?)