╌>

Stunningly, Trump Admits The Goal Was To Overturn The Election

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  2 years ago  •  210 comments

Stunningly, Trump Admits The Goal Was To Overturn The Election

If you give a narcissistic moron enough rope , eventually they will incriminate themselves. That appears to be what happened today as Donald Trump released a statement indicating he wanted Mike Pence to overturn the election results on Jan 6 and name him the winner.

========================================================================================

Olivia of Troye
@OliviaTroye

Trump boasting in his latest statement: the goal was to overturn the election—after touting at his rally that he’ll pardon Jan 6 insurrectionists. Every Republican candidate & official should go on record with their answer: Do you support sedition & pardoning domestic terrorists?

================================================================================

Text of Trump's statement today ( text bolded by me)

If the Vice President (Mike Pence) had “absolutely no right” to change the Presidential Election results in the Senate, despite fraud and many other irregularities, how come the Democrats and RINO Republicans, like Wacky Susan Collins, are desperately trying to pass legislation that will not allow the Vice President to change the results of the election? Actually, what they are saying, is that Mike Pence did have the right to change the outcome, and they now want to take that right away. Unfortunately, he didn’t exercise that power, he could have overturned the Election!

FKY3CrcXoAICG4H?format=jpg&name=small

==================================================================================

related

This is, of course,   far from the first time   Trump has   attacked his own former VP   for refusing to ignore the Constitution and federal law to throw out validly cast and certified votes in states that went to   Joe Biden .

Just a few days ago during a Fox News appearance, Pence admitted that he and Trump   had not spoken since last summer .

The Electoral Count Act of 1887 was cited in memos drafted by Trump advisers after he lost the 2020 election, claiming that Pence could summarily reject certified slates of electors from states that voted for Biden, and then either recognize “alternate slates” of electors from those states, or just refuse to include those states in the overall Electoral College count, and thereby give Trump the majority.

This law is presumably the subject of Trump’s complaint in his latest “Statement,” and despite Trump’s protestations to the contrary, it does not actually grant any powers that would have allowed Pence to have “change[d] the outcome” or “overturned the Election!” as Trump claims. Efforts are underway to revise the federal statute to be even more clear and affirmatively state that this sort of nonsense is not allowed.

Former Pence Homeland Security adviser   Olivia Troye   was scathing in her reaction to Trump’s latest attack on her former boss, noting that Trump was “boasting” that “the goal was to overturn the election” just one day after “ touting at his rally that he’ll pardon Jan. 6 insurrectionists ,” and saying that GOP candidates should have to “go on record” with whether or not they agreed with Trump.

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/heres-the-latest-statement-by-donald-j-trump-this-time-whining-that-pence-could-have-overturned-the-election-no-he-could-not/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Tell us again how innocent Trump is. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

Oh I'm sure they will

After all, the actual facts have never been a barrier for the MAGA-cultists.

(Who prefer the "Alternative facts-- AKA blatant lies!!)

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @1    2 years ago

I'm not sure anybody thinks he's "innocent" in the character sense of the word.

Tell us what crime you think he's committed or specific law he broke during all this.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2    2 years ago
I'm not sure anybody thinks he's "innocent" in the character sense of the word.

There are MILLIONS of people who believe that the election was stolen from Trump and that he is not only innocent, but that he is righteous. 

I think you WANT to believe that 'insanity' is not rampant on the Trump right, and so you talk yourself into believing it.

Americans DO have to pick sides.  

=================================================================

Adam Kinzinger
@AdamKinzinger
 · 

19h

“He could have overturned the election.”

This is an admission, and a massively un-American statement. It is time for every Republican leader to pick a side… Trump or the Constitution, there is no middle on defending our nation anymore.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    2 years ago
There are MILLIONS of people who believe that the election was stolen from Trump and that he is not only innocent, but that he is righteous. 

That would not describe any of the many Trump supporters I know.  They know he's a bastard.  That's part of why they like him.

I think you WANT to believe that 'insanity' is not rampant on the Trump right, and so you talk yourself into believing it.

Ironic that you would use a(nother) nearly insane rant to accuse other people of insanity. 

You didn't answer my question.  What crime was committed/law was broken?

Americans DO have to pick sides.

The majority of Americans did pick a side.  They chose Biden over Trump.  

However "pick a side" does NOT mean they must adopt anti-Trumpism as their new religion and pursue it with maniacal zealotry.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.2    2 years ago
However "pick a side" does NOT mean they must adopt anti-Trumpism as their new religion and pursue it with maniacal zealotry.  

And there we have what we always get - excuses. 

People do have to adopt anti-Trumpism. 

failure to do so is un-American. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.2    2 years ago
Ironic that you would use a(nother) nearly insane rant to accuse other people of insanity.  You didn't answer my question.  What crime was committed/law was broken?

There is nothing at all "insane" about my rants. They are all fact based.  As far as him breaking a specific law, there are plenty of legal experts that say he has broken laws in all this.  But if he didnt break a specific law, so what?   It is as plain as day that he intended to steal the election. The evidence is overwhelming. 

The deniers dont care enough about their country. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.2    2 years ago

But, but, but if you don't display just the right amount of indignation over all things Trump, well, then, you just aren't American enough for the real zealots!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.6  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.5    2 years ago

Get back to us when you can explain any of the facts of this case with even a glaze of credibility or knowledge. 

Just flapping your lips doesnt cut it. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.6    2 years ago
Get back to us when you can explain any of the facts of this case with even a glaze of credibility or knowledge.  Just flapping your lips doesnt cut it. 

Don't think I will.

I don't have the prerequisite level of Chicken Little-ness or the level of hatred for all things Trump required to be credible to one such as yourself.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.8  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.7    2 years ago

The truth is you cant. 

If you could you would have at some point over the past few years. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.8    2 years ago
The truth is you cant. 

The truth is I can and have.

I just don't have the level of hatred in me that permeates any of the articles Trump is mentioned on, and I have seen countless times you have condemned people because they aren't vocal in their own hatred of Trump to satisfy you personally. Hell, I have seen you criticize fellow lefties who aren't vocal enough in their hatred to satisfy you.

Thankfully, none of that is MY personal problem, so I'll leave it all to you!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.10  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.9    2 years ago

Everyone here can see what you are. That is enough. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.10    2 years ago

If "everyone" includes you, I'm all good!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.12  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.4    2 years ago
As far as him breaking a specific law, there are plenty of legal experts that say he has broken laws in all this.

Which one(s)?  

Here. Let me help.  Finish this sentence.  "We the jury find Donald Trump guilty of ____________________?" Insert as many as you think apply.

But if he didnt break a specific law, so what?

Exactly.  If he didn't break the law, you're seeding a story about him admitting he didn't break the law.  There is a congressional commission investigating him not breaking the law. 

It is as plain as day that he intended to steal the election. The evidence is overwhelming.

To my knowledge, he's been very open about his attempts to overturn the election.  One doesn't need a ton of evidence to confirm something a person announces they're doing.

You would need evidence to prove that he broke the law during those attempts.   

The deniers dont care enough about their country. 

Of course you tend to classify anybody who isn't actively carrying a pitchfork and torch on their way to Mar A Lago as a "denier".  

However most people have simply moved on.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.13  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.12    2 years ago
However most people have simply moved on.

Some people have moved on. Trumps mllions of followers and admirers have not moved on. How can someone who wanted to overthrow the US election and the US government have millions of followers? 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.14  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.13    2 years ago
Some people have moved on.

And more do so every day.

Trumps mllions of followers and admirers have not moved on.

To the contrary.  Many of them have.

How can someone who wanted to overthrow the US election and the US government have millions of followers? 

I'm probably not the person to ask.  I'm not sure how he ever had followers in the first place. 

But then I'm not sure how Bernie, AOC, MTG, Gohmert, Waters and a host of others have any followers.   People believe crazy stuff.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.15  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.14    2 years ago

So now Trump is just one of the crowd. There is no end to the excuse making, is there? 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.16  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.15    2 years ago
So now Trump is just one of the crowd.

No, those other people are still in office.  They're more dangerous.

There is no end to the excuse making, is there? 

*eyeroll* 

"Nothing at all insane" about your rants.....  Riiiight.

BTW, you still haven't answered my very simple question.

What crime did he commit?  What law did he break? 

Why is it so difficult for you to answer that question?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.17  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.16    2 years ago
No, those other people are still in office.  They're more dangerous

Is that supposed to be clever ? 

What crime did he commit?  What law did he break?  Why is it so difficult for you to answer that question?

Isnt trying to overthrow the US government crime enough for you? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.2    2 years ago

Sorry if I'm not perfectly educated on American constitutional law, but didn't the impeachments convict him of crimes, that the Republicans pardoned?

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.2.19  Gsquared  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.18    2 years ago

No, impeachment is the equivalent of indictment for crimes, or impeachable offenses. 

The trials of the impeachments were held in the Senate, where Trump was not convicted because a vote of two-thirds of the Senators is required to convict. 

A majority of Senators, including seven Republicans, did vote to convict Trump in his second Senate impeachment trial, but that is insufficient.

"Pardon" is not a concept applicable to the impeachment process.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.20  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gsquared @1.2.19    2 years ago

Okay, thanks for the law lesson.  A GREATER majority is needed to convict, and a simple majority, even including votes against him from his own party, enables him to walk.  Lucky him. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.2.21  Gsquared  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.20    2 years ago

You're welcome.

A simple majority in the House is needed to impeach.  A supermajority in the Senate is needed to convict.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.22  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.20    2 years ago
A GREATER majority is needed to convict

The idea is that we don’t want simple partisanship to be the reason a president is removed. It needs to be significantly bipartisan. Otherwise, simple legislative majorities would be removing the president and overturning elections all the time.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.23  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.17    2 years ago
Isnt trying to overthrow the US government crime enough for you? 

If he committed a crime, then a law was broken.

What.  Law.  Did.  He.  Break?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.24  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.23    2 years ago

Trump told Giuliani to call the Department of Homeland Security to see if they could 'take control of voting machines': NYT report

Sarah Al-Arshani
Tue, February 1, 2022, 12:57 AM
  • Former President Donald Trump played a role in plans for seizing voting machines in the 2020 election.

• Trump asked Rudy Giuliani to call DHS about confiscating voting machines,   The New York Times   reported.

• Trump weighed the prospect of using the military or the Justice Department to obtain the machines.

Former President Donald Trump asked Rudy Giuliani, his attorney, to call the Department of Homeland Security to see if they could legally take control of voting machines in key states in December 2020, six weeks after the Presidential election,   The New York Times   reported.

Giuliani called Kenneth Cuccinelli, the acting deputy secretary at the Department of Homeland Security, who told him he did not have the authority to do so, the Times reported.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.25  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.10    2 years ago
"Everyone here can see what you are. That is enough."

Yes John, we sure do.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.26  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.22    2 years ago

"Otherwise, simple legislative majorities would be removing the president and overturning elections all the time."

Nonsense.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.27  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.24    2 years ago

And what part of the criminal code does that violate?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.28  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.26    2 years ago

Nonsense.

Dulay
Professor Guide
1.2.29  Dulay  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.12    2 years ago

Here's the easy one Jack:

"We the jury find Donald Trump guilty of Criminal solicitation to commit election fraud, under Title § 21-2-604 of the Georgia criminal code."

There are a plethora of other possibilities, including but not limited to:

Multiple counts of conspiracy to defraud the US.

Conspiracy to commit Abuse of office.

Conspiracy to commit election fraud AND forgery in Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Georgia and New Mexico. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.30  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.28    2 years ago

Yes, that's what you spout in this regard in your never ending defense of the criminal enterprise of the trumpturd 'presidency'  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.31  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.28    2 years ago

Trump's Words, and Deeds, Reveal Depths of His Drive to Retain Power

Shane Goldmacher
Wed, February 2, 2022, 8:02 AM
36b665af03790e820cd7a075130a6a15

A series of new remarks by Donald Trump about the aftermath of the 2020 election and new disclosures about his actions in trying to forestall its result — including discussing the use of the national security apparatus to seize voting machines — have stripped away any pretense that the events of Jan. 6, 2021, were anything but the culmination of the former president’s single-minded pursuit of retaining power.

Trump said on Sunday that Mike Pence “could have overturned the election,” acknowledging for the first time that the aim of the pressure campaign he focused on his vice president had simply been to change the election’s result, not just to buy time to root out supposed fraud, as he had long insisted. Those efforts ended at the Capitol with a violent riot of Trump supporters demanding that Pence block the Electoral College vote.

Over the weekend, Trump also dangled, for the first time, that he could issue pardons to anyone facing charges for participating in the Jan. 6 attack if he is elected president again — the latest example of a yearslong flirtation with political violence.

And, ignoring what happened the last time he encouraged a mass demonstration, Trump urged his supporters to gather “in the biggest protests we have ever had” if prosecutors in New York and Atlanta moved further against him. The prosecutor examining Trump’s efforts to overturn the election in Georgia immediately asked the FBI to conduct a “risk assessment” of her building’s security.

The events of Jan. 6 played out so publicly and so brutally — the instigating speech by Trump, the flag-waving march to the Capitol, the violent clashes with the police, the defiling of the seat of democracy — and have since been so extensively reexamined that at times it can seem as if there were little more to be discovered about what led up to that day.

Then, The New York Times reported this week that Trump had directed his lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, to ask the Department of Homeland Security whether it could legally seize voting machines in three key swing states. Trump also raised, in an Oval Office meeting with Attorney General William Barr, the possibility of the Justice Department’s seizing the machines.

Both ideas quickly fizzled.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.32  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.31    2 years ago

With all that he has done and said - still folks seem to think 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e478e6j5foyanma0w9vfoafl1u9m2tqtfub2pvsce90&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Dulay
Professor Guide
1.2.33  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.22    2 years ago
Otherwise, simple legislative majorities would be removing the president and overturning elections all the time.

As of Dec. 2021, 5 GOP legislatures had already passed legislation that insert themselves as a 'partisan election review' that could and would overturn the certified results of an election. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.34  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2.27    2 years ago

"And what part of the criminal code does that violate?"

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.35  Jack_TX  replied to  Dulay @1.2.29    2 years ago
Here's the easy one Jack:

"We the jury find Donald Trump guilty of Criminal solicitation to commit election fraud, under Title § 21-2-604 of the Georgia criminal code."

There are a plethora of other possibilities, including but not limited to:

Multiple counts of conspiracy to defraud the US.

Conspiracy to commit Abuse of office.

Conspiracy to commit election fraud AND forgery in Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Georgia and New Mexico. 

Thank you.

Seriously.

Finally, a response that isn't just hysterical ranting.  

Serious questions, how likely do you think it is that he'll be charged, which of those do you think is most likely, and how do you assess the amount of time that has passed with no charges levied yet?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.2.36  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.34    2 years ago

So you don't know.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.37  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1.2.36    2 years ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Guide
1.2.38  Dulay  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.35    2 years ago

You're welcome, Jack. 

Serious questions, how likely do you think it is that he'll be charged, which of those do you think is most likely,

As I noted, the Georgia case seems a slam dunk to me. The AG has Trump violating the law in his own words and testimony from the other principles who stated that they felt that Trump was trying to get them to overturn the election. The Special Grand Jury will help the AG hone her case and get her ducks in a row. That information can also be shared with the DOJ and the Jan. 6 Committee if they ask nicely. Hopefully, the AG will submit a crapload of evidence with her indictment and save them the ask. 

and how do you assess the amount of time that has passed with no charges levied yet?

That shit takes time. I worked as a paralegal on a Federal EEOC case, the event in question took place over just 15 minutes. Still, it took 8 months just to take depositions. In that case, none of the 'actors' ignored subpoenas, nor did the government refuse to release documents. 

As long as they don't get within a week of the statute of limitations, it's all good IMHO. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.2.39  Jack_TX  replied to  Dulay @1.2.38    2 years ago
That shit takes time.

My thought has been that if they would have charged him by now if they had a "slam dunk", so to speak.

But I'll defer to your experience on that.  

Dulay
Professor Guide
1.2.40  Dulay  replied to  Jack_TX @1.2.39    2 years ago

Well this isn't an everyday case Jack. 

The Georgia AG is taking on the daunting task of prosecuting Trump. And unlike in most other cases, she has to deal with the fact that she, her staff, the court and the jurors will be under the highest of scrutiny AND under physical threat. 

That's a butt load of responsibility and a logistical nightmare. It's going to cost the people of Georgia a pretty penny, in extra security alone, to prosecute Trump. Trump has already called on his minions to target anyone who prosecutes him. There will probably be a lot of people getting fitted for bullet proof vests. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.41  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @1.2.40    2 years ago

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ61UgHPxhGnoAdSJXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Nj/RV=2/RE=1643941024/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.aol.com%2fstates-seek-protect-election-workers-150006669-163642484.html/RK=2/RS=9oGLk28FLfi8iSOur1BtJRcdCcQ-

States seek to protect election workers amid growing threats

9b2f0f90-355f-11eb-bef3-afd1c608253f
LISA RATHKE AND CHRISTINA A. CASSIDY
February 3, 2022, 11:36 AM
e54b68133b743f0ff7ee852ab6410922
38df9dafad9a4446cdfa27e8c70fdb48
1   / 5

Election Workers Threat

FILE - Chester Doles, rear center, leader of American Patriots USA, is surrounded by supporters as he makes his way to a 'Stop the Steal' rally outside of the Georgia State Capitol building, Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2021, in Atlanta. During the tumultuous period immediately following the November 2020 presidential election, election workers across the country faced harassment and threats. Since then, legislators in a small but growing number of states have proposed measures to help protect those workers by creating or boosting penalties for such threats or assaults. (Alyssa Pointer/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP, File)
ASSOCIATED PRESS

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Lawmakers in a handful of states are seeking greater protections for election officials amid growing concerns for their safety after they were targeted by threats of violence following the 2020 presidential election.

Widespread threats against those who oversee elections, from secretaries of state to county clerks and even poll workers, soared after former President Donald Trump and his allies spread false claims about the outcome of the presidential election. “Corrupt secretaries will all hang when the stolen election is revealed” is just one example of the vitriol that has come from social media, emails and phone messages.

Even in Vermont, where the outcome wasn't disputed, election workers have faced threats. A caller to the secretary of state's office said in 2020 that a firing squad would target “all you cheating (vulgarity),” and “a lot of people are going to get executed.”

To counter the threats, lawmakers have introduced bills so far in Vermont and several other states, including Illinois, Maine, New Mexico and Washington, all of which have legislatures controlled by Democrats. Much of the legislation would create or boost criminal liability for threats and, in Illinois, for assaults against election workers.

More legislation is possible, as election officials warn that the ongoing attacks endanger democracy and that many election workers have quit or are considering doing so because of the abuse they have faced since the 2020 election.

“Nationally, we are seeing longtime experienced election leaders and their staffs leaving their positions for other work because they’ve had it — this is it, this has crossed the line,” said Vermont Secretary of State Jim Condos, a Democrat.

A survey of local election officials commissioned by the Brennan Center last April found one in three felt unsafe because of their job and one in six said they had been threatened. Trump has continued to promote   his false claims that the election was stolen   from him, despite   no evidence of the type of widespread fraud   that would be needed to question the outcome, in which President Joe Biden won by more than 7 million votes.

One bill under consideration in Vermont would expand the definition of criminal threatening to make it easier to prosecute those acts. Another would heighten the penalty for the criminal threatening of election officials, public employees and public servants.

During a recent legislative committee hearing, Condos described how the threatening calls had scared one staffer to the point that he was afraid to leave work and walk to his vehicle. He eventually took time off and sought counseling for symptoms associated with post-traumatic stress.

“No election official should ever need to fear for their life for their role in serving our country’s democracy in this or any election,” Condos said.

A bill in Maine would make threats against election officials a class C felony, after threats to two local clerks in 2021.

“The message has to be loud and clear that this is a threat to our democracy,” said Democratic Rep. Bruce White, the sponsor. “Threatening people who work our elections is entirely unacceptable.”

In the immediate aftermath of the 2020 election, New Mexico Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver, a Democrat, left her home for weeks as a safety precaution in response to security concerns. A Democrat-sponsored bill introduced last month expands the felony crime of intimidation to include acts against employees and agents of the secretary of state, county clerks and municipal clerks.

Supporters of the legislation said expanding protections to all election office workers is important because threats haven't been limited to top-level staff.

In Fulton County, Georgia, two election office workers — one a temporary employee — filed a lawsuit in December against a conservative website, accusing it of spreading false stories about them. Their lawsuit said the false claims led to a “deluge of intimidation, harassment, and threats that has forced them to change their phone numbers, delete their online accounts, and fear for their physical safety.”

In the weeks following the election, a top Georgia elections official condemned the onslaught of threats and   called on   Trump to rein in his supporters. At the time, Trump was claiming “massive voter fraud” in the state and people were driving in caravans past the home of Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, a Republican, and sending sexualized threats to Raffensperger’s wife.

At the federal level, an election threats task force within the U.S. Department of Justice has reviewed more than 850 reports of threats to election officials, Assistant Attorney General Kenneth Polite said. Two people have been charged with federal crimes for threatening election workers, including a Texas man charged with threatening to kill government officials in Georgia after the 2020 election. Polite said the department also has dozens of open investigations.

Arizona Secretary of State Katie Hobbs, a Democrat, said it's imperative that harassers face prosecution.

“Unless people are held accountable, this kind of behavior is going to continue,” she said.

In October, a   congressional committee   heard from election officials about graphic threats to their safety since the 2020 election.

Legislation also was introduced by a group of Democrats in the U.S. Senate last year that would make it a federal crime for any person to intimidate or threaten an election worker. It became part of a larger effort by Democrats to create federal standards for voting and restore a key provision of the Voting Rights Act.

That broader   effort   has since stalled, although there are signs that a bipartisan proposal may be in the works that could shore up what election experts have described as weaknesses in the nation’s electoral process. That proposal also might include ways to boost protections for election workers who are facing threats and harassment.

Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold, a Democrat, said she continues to receive threats and was working on a legislative proposal to protect election workers.

“I don’t think that signing up to administer elections should mean that you’re afraid that someone is going to hurt you,” Griswold said. “We can’t have an atmosphere where election workers are afraid to do what’s right, afraid to uphold the will of the people, because they’re afraid for their kids and for their homes and their lives. That’s not a democracy.”

____

Cassidy reported from Atlanta. Associated Press writers Michael Balsamo in Washington, D.C.; Morgan Lee, in Santa Fe, New Mexico; and David Sharp in Portland, Maine, contributed to this report.

Dulay
Professor Guide
1.2.42  Dulay  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.41    2 years ago
“I don’t think that signing up to administer elections should mean that you’re afraid that someone is going to hurt you,” Griswold said. “We can’t have an atmosphere where election workers are afraid to do what’s right, afraid to uphold the will of the people, because they’re afraid for their kids and for their homes and their lives. That’s not a democracy.”

Yes and there is ANOTHER way that the RW is making it harder to vote, fear and intimidation of election workers. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    2 years ago

Those who think he is innocent will reject any information to the contrary.   One could post a detailed confession by Trump and they would deem it a fraud.   There is no reasoning with delusion.   Confirmation bias preempts critical thinking.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @2    2 years ago

Why do you think he openly admitted it today?   I guess he knows his lemmings will not fall out of line, for any reason. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    2 years ago

I don't think he realized the meaning of his words.   He probably will come back and explain that by 'overturn the election' he was referring to overturning a rigged election or something like that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.1    2 years ago

The evidence that the election was fraudulent is all in the imaginations of the believers. 

There is no evidence. 

Without evidence, the assertion that should have "overturned" the election results is nothing but a coup attempt. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.3  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    2 years ago

Hey, John, I will be no help trying to explain how someone can actually believe that the 2020 presidential election was fraudulent.

Thomas
Masters Guide
2.1.4  Thomas  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.1    2 years ago
He probably will come back and explain that by 'overturn the election' he was referring to overturning a rigged election

That is exactly what he will do.

Evidence be damned. Why should a person who has maintained that the election was a fraud all along and is on record saying that the VP should "do the right thing" be afraid to say what the "right thing" is? Everybody knows what he meant. It is not like this statement is going to change the R's in the Trump world minds, because they think that the official results are incorrect. They believe him. They think he won and had the election stolen from him, despite the lack of evidence to support the claim. 

Cognitive dissonance at it's finest, or maybe worst. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    2 years ago
Why do you think he openly admitted it today?

It is just another example why his lawyers will do anything to keep him from testifying under oath, once his lips start moving his brain disengages.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.6  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Thomas @2.1.4    2 years ago

The notion on the right is that as long as it is their feeling that the election was stolen from Trump then there is no justifiable guilt … while monotonously bleating “fuck your feelings” out the other side of their mouths.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @2    2 years ago

He could go on national TV, confess to his crimes, and they say it was a body double

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2    2 years ago

It was a set up by them Liberals.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @2.2.1    2 years ago

I thought we were too stupid to something like that off

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.3  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @2    2 years ago
Those who think he is innocent will reject any information to the contrary.   One could post a detailed confession by Trump and they would deem it a fraud.   There is no reasoning with delusion.   Confirmation bias preempts critical thinking.

Agreed.

But re: the next Election: that being said, there may be one thing that may trump that in  the next election (?)

And that the sudden widening split in the Republican Party:

Fox News Abandons The GOP On Russia

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 years ago

No one should be surprised by those comments, his intention should be easily read by anyone with an IQ above 60. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @3    2 years ago

That's the problem then as the majority of his supporters/enablers have IQs in the single digits.  

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    2 years ago

Prove it

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.1    2 years ago

Prove that you're Right Down the Center.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.2    2 years ago

There is no way I could prove that to you, nor do I care to.  Tes made a claim about IQ level, surely that is quantifiable unless he/she/they is spreading misinformation.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.3    2 years ago

I didn't expect that you COULD prove it, any more than could Tess prove that Trump's sheep have single digit IQ's, which was obviously an intended exaggeration in order to make a point, and it is the point that she made that I agree with. 

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
3.1.5  Duck Hawk  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.2    2 years ago

jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Duck Hawk @3.1.5    2 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I'll be here all week.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.7  Right Down the Center  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.4    2 years ago

Of course you do, that is why you come to her defense when she promotes misinformation.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.7    2 years ago

I'M NOT THE ONE SPREADING/PROMOTING MISINFORMATION.

Dulay
Professor Guide
3.1.9  Dulay  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.3    2 years ago
Tes made a claim about IQ level, surely that is quantifiable unless he/she/they is spreading misinformation.

It's called an OPINION. Some opinions are more informed than others. Based on interaction here, Tessy is pretty informed on the IQ reflected in all too many Trump's minions. 

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.10  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.8    2 years ago
Then prove "majority of his supporters/enablers have IQs in the single digits"

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.11  Right Down the Center  replied to  Dulay @3.1.9    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.1.12  bugsy  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.8    2 years ago
I'M NOT THE ONE SPREADING/PROMOTING MISINFORMATION.

Just bullshit!!!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.7    2 years ago

Your comment indicates a misunderstanding of what I said, and IMO that fits in with Tess' opinion.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.14  Right Down the Center  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.13    2 years ago

Of course it does.  I would expect nothing less.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.1.15  TᵢG  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    2 years ago

Many certainly behave as though that were true (when it comes to ideological / political / religious matters).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.16  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.14    2 years ago

LOL.  Nor would I.  Thank you for your admission.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.17  Right Down the Center  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.16    2 years ago

Not too good at recognizing sarcasm I see.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.18  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.17    2 years ago

Aren't we all so lucky that at least you can see.

Right Down the Center
Masters Guide
3.1.19  Right Down the Center  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.18    2 years ago

[Deleted  Go for it.]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

ke Wacky Susan Collins, are desperately trying to pass legislation that will not allow the Vice President to change the results of the election? Actually, what they are saying,

Imagine being so deranged  that  it seems like a good idea to attack Susan Collins for trying to rewrite the Electoral Count Act on a bipartisan basis to provide clarity and make it harder for Congress to oppose the certification of state's votes. I've not seen a single election law expert who supports the law. 

It's literally the only election law that actually needs reforming and Democrats oppose it. I guess after objecting to the certification of the last three elections they lost, they want to make it as easy as possible to overturn elections. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 years ago

What are your thoughts about Trump saying

"Unfortunately, he didn’t exercise that power, he could have overturned the Election!"

Plese tell us what the factual basis would have been for overturning the election . 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    2 years ago

Trump was wrong.

But why is it "wacky" to work for a bipartisan rewriting of the Electoral Count Act to clarify the procedures make  it harder for Congress to challenge election votes, which now  happens every time the Democrats lose?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    2 years ago

We had a president of the United States who wanted to be returned to office for a second term through unethical and fraudulent means. 

Nothing takes precedence over making sure he  is held accountable.  Nothing. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    2 years ago
Nothing takes precedence over making sure he  is held accountable.  Nothing. 

Have you been claiming that while  Schumer spent the last six months attacking the filibuster,  trying to spend trillions of dollars on liberal pet causes, give a tax break to the 1 percent and take over state elections?

Or does that only matter when a bipartisan group of Senators try to solve problems?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.3    2 years ago

I dont think you take Jan 6 seriously. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.4    2 years ago
I dont think you take Jan 6 seriously.

Just the opposite.  He takes Jan. 6th so seriously he will do anything, say anything, to distract from it.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 years ago
Imagine being so deranged  that  it seems like a good idea to attack Susan Collins

And attack her he did!

Donald Trump calls Susan Collins "Wacky" as she pursues bipartisan election reform in D.C.

Dulay
Professor Guide
4.3  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 years ago
Imagine being so deranged  that  it seems like a good idea to attack Susan Collins

No need to 'imagine' it Sean, Trump just proved just how 'deranged' he is, in writing. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Trump basically confessed to unethical and unpatriotic if not criminal behavior, at the highest level possible in this country.  At the least he should be shunned and denounced by every decent American and expelled from the American political scene. The ball is in the conservatives court now. What will they do? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 years ago

They will do nothing different.   The fact that they have continued to prop Trump up for 14+ months of Big Lie nonsense shows that truth is irrelevant.    It also shows that they cannot see the damage they are helping to inflict on the GOP.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @5.1    2 years ago

I think they want him to run again. Then they can claim some sort of vindication if he actually got elected.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  Ender @5.1.1    2 years ago

If so those are profoundly screwed up priorities.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @5.1    2 years ago
  It also shows that they cannot see the damage they are helping to inflict on the GOP.

Good point.

I  know republicans who are quite opposed to Trump.

Some for various reasons-- but most are starting to realize the damage he will do to Republican election hopes in the future.

Obviously he liost the last election-- but as he gets wackier and wackier, and as more about his actions on Jan 6 are revealed...many republicans, staunch conservatives who want the Republicans to gain power, are beginning to realize what a drag on republican hopes he's become!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Krishna  replied to  Ender @5.1.1    2 years ago
I think they want him to run again. Then they can claim some sort of vindication if he actually got elected.

But what will claim if he loses-- and by an even bigger margin than he did last time?

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @5    2 years ago
What will they do? 

Become even more extreme...and therefore lose the next Election by an even wider margin than they lost the last one.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    2 years ago

Whatever Trump tried to do didn't work. Biden won the election fair and square, despite a fair amount of fraud by the Democrats. If Trump is guilty, he will had his day in court. You might dispute the fact, but he is losing support every time he opens his idiot mouth. When the Republicans take control of the House and Senate in a few months, the tone of the response will quickly change, as presidential hopefuls will start to increasingly start to challenge his tactics and dispute his ill considered words.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.1  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @6    2 years ago
When the Republicans take control of the House and Senate in a few months, the tone of the response will quickly change, as presidential hopefuls will start to increasingly start to challenge his tactics and dispute his ill considered words.

Why are they waiting for the midterms?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @6    2 years ago
"despite a fair amount of fraud by the Democrats"

PROVE IT!

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @6    2 years ago
despite a fair amount of fraud by the Democrats

Link?

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.4  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @6    2 years ago
You might dispute the fact, but he is losing support every time he opens his idiot mouth

So why, then-- do the vast majority of Republicans still support him?

His %age support (amongst Republicans) is quite large.

Surely they can't all be ..just plain stupid?

(Or....???)

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7  Nerm_L    2 years ago

The hair-on-fire outrage claiming that Trump tried to steal the election depends upon a fact that elections can be stolen.  Are Democrats trying to prevent elections being stolen - or - are Democrats protecting their ability to steal elections?

All the overblown conspiracy theories concern one, and only one, election in the United States.  If we're focusing attention on only the Presidential election then there is plenty of opportunity to manipulate down ballot elections without being noticed.  And, in case no one has noticed, Congress exerts an oversized influence on government; much more so than the President.

What Trump is doing is actually politically savvy.  Trump is weakening the Office of President by pressuring Congress to impose limits on authority.  And Trump is distracting the press and electorate from paying any attention to down ballot elections.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @7    2 years ago
The hair-on-fire outrage claiming that Trump tried to steal the election ...

So you deny that Trump tried to steal the election.   

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @7.1    2 years ago
So you deny that Trump tried to steal the election.   

That is an admission that elections can be stolen.  Trump has, indeed, challenged the legitimacy of the 2020 Presidential election.  And Trump really did try to interpret and use existing election laws to change the outcome of the election.  What Trump has attempted to do is rather obvious.  The question is whether or not Trump has done something illegal.  If Trump's attempts to use election laws to challenge the 2020 election have been legal then elections can be stolen; simple as that.

The obvious remedy for what Trump has attempted to do would involve imposing limitations on authority and restrictions on political influence in the election process.  Is the hair-on-fire outrage by Democrats focused on imposing those limitations and restrictions on political influence in the election process?  Or are Democrats attempting to protect their political influence in the election process?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.1    2 years ago
The obvious remedy for what Trump has attempted to do would involve imposing limitations on authority and restrictions on political influence in the election process. 

No, the obvious remedy is for the Republican Party and the Republican electorate to denounce him and shun him.  This country is 245 years old and he is the only one who tried to steal an election in this way.  He is the problem.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.3  Nerm_L  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.2    2 years ago
No, the obvious remedy is for the Republican Party and the Republican electorate to denounce him and shun him.  This country is 245 years old and he is the only one who tried to steal an election in this way.  He is the problem.

Democrats naturally want the electorate to focus attention on Republicans.  That's such a transparent political ploy that few other than party faithful will give it heed.  

Democrats claiming Trump is the problem is only an attempt to protect Democrats' political influence in the election process; Democrats are trying to protect their ability to steal elections.  Democrats want the country to completely ignore the election process and focus attention on Trump and Republicans.  That's the lazy, sleazy, and stupid way to engage in politics which is the preferred choice of Democrats.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.3    2 years ago

Your comment is total nonsense

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7.1.5  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.3    2 years ago

Democrats are trying to protect their ability to steal elections. 

And they are so fucking good at it that there’s never a trace of evidence left behind, huh?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.6  Nerm_L  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.4    2 years ago
Your comment is total nonsense

Your comment says nothing.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.7  Ender  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7.1.5    2 years ago

Well, they did leave a couple of republicans that voted twice or in someone else's name.

I am sure that was to throw people off the trail....

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.8  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.1    2 years ago
That is an admission that elections can be stolen.

No, it is recognition that someone can try to steal an election.

The word 'tried' is operative.

You deny that Trump tried to steal the election.   There is no reasoning with such a mindset.

The question is whether or not Trump has done something illegal. 

Legality is NOT the issue.   I can try to steal a pencil from you.   That is not illegal but it is still an attempt to steal.   Trump attempted to steal the election through lawsuits, coercion, subornation, lying, etc.   Even if everything he did was deemed legal (which would be pathetic), he still tried to deny Biden the win and stay in office.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.6    2 years ago

Your comment(s) say a whole lot of nothing.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.10  Nerm_L  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7.1.5    2 years ago
And they are so fucking good at it that there’s never a trace of evidence left behind, huh?

Democrats' political influence over elections is legal.  And that's what Democrats do not want the public to see.  That's why there is zero attention given to the election process.  It's all about Trump and only about Trump.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7.1.11  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.10    2 years ago

there is zero attention given to the election process.

What country are you living in?  The election process dominates the news every day in this country.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.12  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.8    2 years ago
No, it is recognition that someone can try to steal an election.

The word 'tried' is operative.

You deny that Trump tried to steal the election.   There is no reasoning with such a mindset.

What about 'challenge the legitimacy of the election' do you not understand?  The danger posed by Trump is his focusing attention on the election process itself.  

Look, Trump was hamstrung by allegations that Russia meddled in the election and placed Trump in office.  That political narrative implied the election process can be rigged.  Trump has turned Democrats' political narrative against Joe Biden; the 2020 election was rigged in the same manner that Democrats claimed the 2016 election was rigged.  Democrats claimed that just because Trump won the 2016 election didn't mean that Trump's win was legitimate.  Trump is using the same argument against Joe Biden.  But Trump is focusing attention on the election process itself.  That's what worries Democrats.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.13  Nerm_L  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7.1.11    2 years ago
What country are you living in?  The election process dominates the news every day in this country.

No.  What dominates the news every day is voting in Presidential elections.  What is ignored in the press' inspired controversies is that ballots are extremely location specific. 

Counting votes in a Presidential election is fairly straightforward since candidates for that election are the same across all ballots throughout the country.  Down ballot elections, particularly for local offices, introduces a lot of complexity into the election process.  That's why voting in the correct precinct is important.  Vote by mail allows elections to be rigged by simply mailing the wrong ballots to voters.    

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.14  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.12    2 years ago
What about 'challenge the legitimacy of the election' do you not understand? 

I am not the one with the cognitive disconnect.    You are trying to defend Trump’s attempt to steal a presidential election.

There is no evidence of illegitimacy in the election.   It us beyond pathetic to keep pushing this clearly false conspiracy theory.

Get a grip.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.15  Ender  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7.1.11    2 years ago

Plus having elections every two years keeps the cycle front and center.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7.1.16  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.13    2 years ago

Vote by mail allows elections to be rigged by simply mailing the wrong ballots to voters. 

What other meritless accusations have you got?  Show the evidence of your claims if you want to be taken seriously.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.17  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.14    2 years ago
I am not the one with the cognitive disconnect.    You are trying to defend Trump’s attempt to steal a presidential election.

There is no evidence of illegitimacy in the election.   It us beyond pathetic to keep pushing this clearly false conspiracy theory.

Get a grip.

No, I'm not trying to defend what Trump is doing.  But I'm also not trying to make what Trump is doing something other than what it is.

I'm not the one claiming that 'legal' is irrelevant.  Claiming that 'legal' is irrelevant only serves to protect how political influence in the election process is used to rig elections.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.18  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.17    2 years ago

Did Trump try to steal the election?   If you answer 'no' then all of my comments continue to apply.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.19  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.18    2 years ago
Did Trump try to steal the election?   If you answer 'no' then all of my comments continue to apply.

The short answer is 'no'.  Trump did not try to steal the election.  Even if Trump succeeded with some challenges, he still would have lost the election.  Pence rejecting certification of state electoral totals would not have changed the outcome of the election; the state results would still have been certified by the states.

There isn't any way that Trump could steal the election through audits, court litigation, or recruiting faithless electors.  The electoral result wasn't that close.  The only thing Trump could accomplish with the actions he's taken would be to raise doubts about the legitimacy of the election process.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.20  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.19    2 years ago

Does not matter if he was successful or if there was any possibility of him ever prevailing.   I asked if he TRIED to steal the election.

You do not believe Trump TRIED to steal the election.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.21  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.20    2 years ago
Does not matter if he was successful or if there was any possibility of him ever prevailing.   I asked if he TRIED to steal the election. You do not believe Trump TRIED to steal the election.

The short answer is 'no'.  Trump did not try to steal the election, as I already stated.  Trump tried to create doubts about the legitimacy of the election process.  

Trump turned Democrats' narrative about the legitimacy of an election win back against Democrats.  That's what Trump tried to do.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.22  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.1    2 years ago
Trump has, indeed, challenged the legitimacy of the 2020 Presidential election.

He may have challenged the legitimacyof theelection,...but his challenge itself was not legitimate.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.23  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.19    2 years ago
The short answer is 'no'.  Trump did not try to steal the election. 

And you know this how?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.24  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @7.1.20    2 years ago
"Does not matter if he was successful or if there was any possibility of him ever prevailing.   I asked if he TRIED to steal the election. You do not believe Trump TRIED to steal the election."

I'm so tired of that nonsense.  Just because whatshisname and his mob(s) of domestic terrorists DIDN'T GET AWAY WITH IT, JUST BECAUSE THEY TRIED AND DIDN'T GET AWAY WITH IT - WE SHOULD ALL JUST MOVE ALONG.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.25  Nerm_L  replied to  Krishna @7.1.23    2 years ago
And you know this how?

Already answered.

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
7.1.26  Duck Hawk  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.13    2 years ago

You do realize you can have the proper ballot sent to you? In CO there is plenty of time before the election to get a new ballot.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.27  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.25    2 years ago
Already answered.

Nope.

You are wrong!

I see your "Already answered"...and raise you one already answered!

I'm am already preparing for more "brilliant arguments" (/s) by anticipating the next tactic..perhaps a "derail by whattaboudism"?

Or maybe the time honoured technique of making a statement-- with no evidence...and then following by the dreaded word..."PERIOD!" (Following a statement by the use of "Period!" is believed by some folks here to prove they're right.)

PERIOD!

(Do we really need to degrade the discussion even more by more "It's already been proved", when it hasn't been? and more "whaddaboud Hillary?" and even more of the dreaded:  "PERIOD!")

A bit of /sarc on my part, but seriously-- none of those are evidence that an argument is valid...why do so many people here not see that?

Dulay
Professor Guide
7.1.28  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.13    2 years ago
Vote by mail allows elections to be rigged by simply mailing the wrong ballots to voters. 

So based on your above comment, you're presuming that voters are utterly uninformed idiots. 

Seriously Nerm, have your ever voted via mail in ballot? 

The ballots have YOUR name on them Nerm. They require YOUR signature. Here in Indiana, you're required to sign an 'affidavit' on the envelope swearing that the information contained within is true. 

Now, most voters would recognize that the name on the ballot isn't theirs, so they call down to the courthouse and request a LEGAL ballot.

Secondly, in your conspiracy theory, who are you claiming is going to 'mail the wrong ballots to voters'? To WHAT end? 

Please cite ANY evidence that such an issue actually exists. Cite the state and precinct. 

Oh and BTFW, after the election, Trump fostered multiple scenarios that would have 'rigged' the election in his favor. Please tell me about the outrage you feel about that FACT. 

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2  Ender  replied to  Nerm_L @7    2 years ago
Trump is weakening the Office of President by pressuring Congress to impose limits on authority.

You think that was his plan?

Or could it have been he was actually trying to abuse his position....

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.2.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Ender @7.2    2 years ago
You think that was his plan? Or could it have been he was actually trying to abuse his position....

From my perspective, Trump was only trying to muddy the election and create doubt about the legitimacy of Joe Biden being President.  IMO Trump's plan was to do to Biden what had been done to Trump.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Ender  replied to  Nerm_L @7.2.1    2 years ago

Sorry but not many people deny he won the election over a year out...

Same can't be said for donald supporters, that still claim he won...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.2.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Nerm_L @7.2.1    2 years ago
IMO Trump's plan was to do to Biden what had been done to Trump.

Completely ridiculous. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2.4  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @7.2.1    2 years ago
IMO Trump's plan was to do to Biden what had been done to Trump.

Nope

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2.5  Krishna  replied to  Ender @7.2    2 years ago
Or could it have been he was actually trying to abuse his position....

He was trying to steal the Election.

Period!

(And whaddabout Obama...?)

Double /sarc...with a Cherry on top!

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.3  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @7    2 years ago
a fact that elections can be stolen.

Link?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Krishna @7.3    2 years ago
Link?

Here ya go:

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.3.2  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.1    2 years ago

Link?

Here ya go:

Nope.

You are wrong!

(For all you home gamers: The (rather silly) technique I'm using here is from NLP ("neuro-linguistic Programming"...those people refer to the technique as "mirroring") .

{get smarter here?}

It can be effective...but it use has been criticized as manipulative at times..I'm not a big fan actually, and don't use it frequently....

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.3  Nerm_L  replied to  Krishna @7.3.2    2 years ago
Nope.

You are wrong!

(For all you home gamers: The (rather silly) technique I'm using here is from NLP ("neuro-linguistic Programming"...those people refer to the technique as "mirroring") .

{get smarter here?}

It can be effective...but it use has been criticized as manipulative at times..I'm not a big fan actually, and don't use it frequently....

That's so blatantly revisionist that even you don't know what you are talking about.

How could Trump steal what cannot be stolen?  The argument depends upon a (fake) fact that elections can be stolen.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.3.4  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.3    2 years ago
How could Trump steal what cannot be stolen?  The argument depends upon a (fake) fact that elections can be stolen.

First (again) nobody said that Trump stole the election;  he tried to steal it.

Second, do you think this is a persuasive argument?   You merely claim —defying all common sense— that elections cannot be stolen.

What is the point ... just to make silly comments that cause people to shake their heads and wonder WTF Nerm is talking about??

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.5  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.4    2 years ago
Second, do you think this is a persuasive argument?   You merely claim —defying all common sense— that elections cannot be stolen.

So, your contention is that elections CAN be stolen.  How is that possible?  Support your assertion that elections can be stolen.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.3.6  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.5    2 years ago
So, your contention is that elections CAN be stolen. 

Yeah, Nerm, elections can be stolen.

How is that possible?  Support your assertion that elections can be stolen.
  • Remove legal votes for the opponent by unethically causing them to be illegal.
  • Hide / destroy votes for the opponent.
  • Generate vote counts for yourself.
  • Engage corrupt officials to give false vote counts.

Dulay
Professor Guide
7.3.7  Dulay  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.6    2 years ago

You forgot the 'new and improved' election laws by GOP legislatures who can now ignore the actual election counts. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.3.8  TᵢG  replied to  Dulay @7.3.7    2 years ago

Funny how some people will argue anything.    Imagine actually claiming that elections cannot be stolen.   What motivates someone to post something like that?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.9  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.6    2 years ago
  • Remove legal votes for the opponent by unethically causing them to be illegal.
  • Hide / destroy votes for the opponent.
  • Generate vote counts for yourself.
  • Engage corrupt officials to give false vote counts.

You've listed some (not all) of the concerns that have been voiced about election security.  Even Trump has challenged the legitimacy of the election by claiming the election was stolen from him using the means you've listed.

Those concerns over election security, some of which you have listed, have been summarily dismissed.  According to the official response, elections are secure which means elections cannot be stolen.

Dulay
Professor Guide
7.3.10  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.9    2 years ago
According to the official response, elections are secure which means elections cannot be stolen.

Thank you for your A+B=Artichokes argument. 

Dulay
Professor Guide
7.3.11  Dulay  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.8    2 years ago
What motivates someone to post something like that?

An utter lack of critical thinking.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.3.12  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.9    2 years ago
According to the official response, elections are secure which means elections cannot be stolen.

Why post such utter nonsense?   Do you want people to laugh at and dismiss what you post?

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.3.13  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.12    2 years ago

that train left the station years ago...

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.14  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.12    2 years ago
Why post such utter nonsense?   Do you want people to laugh at and dismiss what you post?

The idea that a Presidential election can be stolen has been deemed the Big Lie.  Trump's Stop the Steal challenge has been based upon Biden winning the election by circumventing election security.  Biden won the election on mail-in ballots; not on ballots cast in person at polling stations.  Trump's Stop the Steal allegations are based upon mail in ballots being used to circumvent election security.

You've made Trump's case by pointing out that circumventing election security allows stealing elections.  The list you presented in @7.3.6 cannot be a Big Lie and a truth at the same time.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.3.15  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.14    2 years ago

And there we have it ladies and gents. Bingo!!!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.3.16  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.14    2 years ago
The idea that a Presidential election can be stolen has been deemed the Big Lie. 

No, Nerm, the Big Lie is the label for Trump's false claims that the election was rigged and his attempt to steal it.

When will you understand that changing the meaning of words (and phrases) is not an argument??   Even though 'Just Jim' (@ 7.3.15 ) demonstrably buys that bullshit I doubt it is net effective.

You've made Trump's case by pointing out that circumventing election security allows stealing elections.  The list you presented in @ 7.3.6 cannot be a Big Lie and a truth at the same time.  

By what twisted logic do you make such a ridiculous declaration?

If the election was stolen from Trump, as you are attempting to argue, then deliver the evidence.   Show how any known irregularities in election security caused a change that would have an impact on the election.

Nobody has been able to do that so by what mental gymnastics do you and 'Just Jim' come off thinking this is reality?   Until you can deliver credible evidence that Trump was the legitimate winner of the election, your claims are utterly ridiculous.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.17  Nerm_L  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.3.15    2 years ago
And there we have it ladies and gents. Bingo!!!

This is just another attempt to claim that it's impossible for Democrats (and liberals) to steal elections.  The disinformation being foisted in a rather dishonest manner is that concerns over election security is irrationally stupid.  Claiming that Presidential elections can be stolen is a Big Lie -- Trump's Big Lie.

It's only when Democrats make allegations concerning election security that the Big Lie becomes a truth.  Partisan truth ain't very honest.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.3.18  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.17    2 years ago
This is just another attempt to claim that it's impossible for Democrats (and liberals) to steal elections. 

What??   How on Earth can you get from what I wrote that it is impossible for Ds to steal elections?   That is whole-cloth invention on your part.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.3.19  TᵢG  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.3.15    2 years ago

Do you believe that the Ds stole the election from Trump ... that Trump is the legitimate PotUS?  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.20  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.16    2 years ago
No, Nerm, the Big Lie is the label for Trump's false claims that the election was rigged and his attempt to steal it.
When will you understand that changing the meaning of words (and phrases) is not an argument??   Even though 'Just Jim' (@   7.3.15  ) demonstrably buys that bullshit I doubt it is net effective.

That's why the effort was called Stop the Steal?  Accusing others of changing the meaning of words (and phrases) by overtly redefining the crux of Trump's Stop the Steal challenge is either irrational hallucination or deliberate misinformation.  

If the election was stolen from Trump, as you are attempting to argue, then deliver the evidence.   Show how any known irregularities in election security caused a change that would have an impact on the election.

Delivering the evidence would necessitate acquiring evidence, wouldn't it?  Wouldn't delivering the evidence require seizing voting machines and records?  Wouldn't acquiring evidence depend upon securing ballots and voting records by barring access to election officials?

Demanding to deliver evidence while limiting ability to acquire evidence establishes an insurmountable requirement.  That's little different than the logical fallacy of begging the question.  Imposing stringent criteria for what constitutes acceptable evidence is also one basis for gaslighting.

The facts are that Republican candidates (including MAGA Republicans) were quite successful in down ballot elections.  In political parlance, Trump provided coattails for down ballot Republican candidates.  Trump was also quite successful on ballots cast in person at polling stations.  Yet Joe Biden won the election on mail-in ballots that did not have a significant influence on the down ballot success of Republican candidates.  That's an incongruity that can't be explained away by redefining Trump's Stop the Steal challenge as the Big Lie. 

Overall, Republicans won the 2020 election; Democrats lost the 2020 election.  The Presidential election was the outlier in the results.  The candidate that provided coattails for down ballot Republican success lost the election?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.3.21  Nerm_L  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.18    2 years ago
What??   How on Earth can you get from what I wrote that it is impossible for Ds to steal elections?   That is whole-cloth invention on your part.

Was I speaking to you?  Was I speaking about you?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.3.23  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.19    2 years ago

Of course he does.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.3.24  TᵢG  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.20    2 years ago

Good grief, now you are claiming that the evidence that would show Trump's Big Lie was a Big Truth was inaccessible because the Ds somehow prevented the evidence from being uncovered?

276b76ea6d5040b68b5a6d1de2c67dba.jpeg

Dulay
Professor Guide
7.3.25  Dulay  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.3.15    2 years ago

Hilarious!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.26  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @7.3.25    2 years ago

BINGO MY BIG FAT ASS!

evilone
Professor Guide
7.3.27  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @7.3.24    2 years ago

I don't know where this idea of combing through all the data to find a crime before evidence a crime has actually been committed comes from? Nowhere in modern US history has this been a legal process - one they should have figured out by reading anyone of a dozen (or more) rulings (some by Trump appointees no less) on THE BIG LIE.

Dulay
Professor Guide
7.3.28  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.20    2 years ago
That's why the effort was called Stop the Steal? 

Because they needed an easily understood 'motto' for his minions. 

Accusing others of changing the meaning of words (and phrases) by overtly redefining the crux of Trump's Stop the Steal challenge is either irrational hallucination or deliberate misinformation.  

Nerm, Trump and his lawyers filed suits in EVERY battleground state and many others. NOT ONE Judge bought their bullshit. In many hearings, Trump's lawyers presented NO empirical evidence and in fact clearly stated that their filing did NOT include a claim election fraud. Some of Trump's lawyers have been disbarred for filing FALSE affidavits AND blatantly lying to the court. In states that Trump STILL claims were 'fixed' Trump didn't even bother to request a recount. Most of those states did a recount ANYWAY, some more than one. 

NONE of those recounts, MANY overseen by Republicans, found any statistically relevant amount of voter fraud. NONE. 

Those are ALL facts Nerm. 

Trump's 'Stop the Steal' challenge was and is just smoke and mirrors. It's merely a shiny object, dangled by a sociopathic narcist to keep himself relevant after LOSING.   

The facts are that Republican candidates (including MAGA Republicans) were quite successful in down ballot elections.  In political parlance, Trump provided coattails for down ballot Republican candidates.

The FACT that Trump lost miserably while GOP down ballot candidates won proves that Trump's 'coattails' are tattered. Republican voters chose to split their ballots Nerm. The GOP is lucky they did. 

Yet Joe Biden won the election on mail-in ballots that did not have a significant influence on the down ballot success of Republican candidates.

Prove that Nerm. 

Dulay
Professor Guide
7.3.29  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @7.3.20    2 years ago

Silence ensues. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.30  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @7.3.28    2 years ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.3.31  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @7.3.10    2 years ago
"According to the official response, elections are secure which means elections cannot be stolen."
"Thank you for your A+B=Artichokes argument."

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    2 years ago

This isn’t new information. Is there someone out there - conservative or liberal - who thought they weren’t trying to overturn the election?

Overturning the election was always the stated goal. Their position, though, was that they would be overturning the election results on legal grounds. Even the January 6 protest was supposed to be like any other political demonstration, where a bunch of people turn out and thereby “influence” some politician to take certain legal action.

Now, we can observe that evidence justifying overturning the elections was insufficient. And we can observe that the violence at the Capitol went way beyond ordinary protest. But the fact remains, the campaign to overturn the election was conducted largely in the open via recounts, audits, and court actions - basically every legal avenue available, even if those avenues were used frivolously.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @8    2 years ago

Donald Trump wanted a few things to happen. There was some overlap , in order to throw as much at the wall as possible and be thorough. In every state (of the swing states) that he lost he wanted some sort of intervention by the state legislatures that would redirect that states electoral votes to him. He didnt need to get all seven of the swing states to do this, just three or four would have been enough to give him the win in the electoral college. This was his bottom line position, but via the Eastman memo, he also wanted a simple conclusion, for Mike Pence to announce on Jan 6 that seven states results were in "dispute" and thus those electoral votes would not be counted in the tally. This action also would have made Trump the winner. As another avenue he wanted Pence to send the electoral votes back to the states to recertify based on Trump's allegations that the election was stolen. Essentially, short of Pence just naming him the winner of the election because seven states were in "dispute" and thus would nit be counted, Trump wanted the state legislatures to send alternate sets of electors (favoring Trump) and to be voted upon by the House of Reprentaives. 

The problem, and where the "big steal" comes in , is that Trump had no evidence that any voter fraud in any of the seven states existed , and thus he had no factual basis for any of his plans to appoint "alternate electors". The courts rejected him time after time. The individual state election boards rejected him time after time. The governors rejected his ideas time aftyer time. 

Yes there were recounts and court cases, but Trump intended to go way past that. He wanted Mike Pence to reject the results of the election and either declare Trump to be the winner, or to send the election back to the states where "alternate electors" could be named by Trump partisans. 

there was NO proper basis for any of this. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    2 years ago

I agree with you, but every time a candidate loses an election and demands a recount or an audit or whatever, they are seeking to overturn the election. Often, when they seek those remedies, they are unsatisfied and appeal to the courts. All of this is legal, if annoying, and often rests on very thin evidence. In fact, the argument that the opposition has no proper basis to make their claim is practically boilerplate in any brief submitted to the court. Courts don’t get to quickly prejudge stuff the way we might.

Lawyers present all sorts of claims and arguments to courts because once in a while, things go your way and the judge buys the bullshit. It’s a tricky balancing act because there are sanctions for bringing actions in bad faith. But the higher the stakes, I think a lawyer is more likely to try for the Hail Mary play. What do you got to lose? If your client wins, he’s the president and he pardons you.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @8.1.1    2 years ago

You are vastly minimizing the scale of what Trump was trying to do. To my knowledge no other attempt to question an election has gone on to the extent or the duration of what Trump has done. Not even close. Trump approved of Sidney Powell and Giulianis insane plan to blame the manufacturers of the voting machines. Sidney Powell explained it all to Trump in the Oval Office. He didnt tell her not to say that communists in Venezuela and China stole the election from him, he was hoping the accusations would work, even though they were insane. 

You spend too much time trying to find excuses or explanations for Trump , when you should be unconditionally condemning him. Of course, sadly, you are not alone in that boat. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.2    2 years ago
You are vastly minimizing the scale of what Trump was trying to do.

I’m not trying to minimize anything. I don’t have an agenda when it comes to Trump.

To my knowledge no other attempt to question an election has gone on to the extent or the duration of what Trump has done. Not even close.

I totally agree.

You spend too much time trying to find excuses or explanations for Trump

Again, that is not the case. I am patient and will let the evidence lead us to the truth. On the other hand, your anti-Trump bias is well established and you have a history of attacking anyone who doesn’t agree with you 100% on him - even people that agree with you to the level of 99%.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @8    2 years ago
Overturning the election was always the stated goal.

Were they, in your opinion, trying to produce election results for Trump that were in opposition to the legitimate votes of the American people?   

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @8.2    2 years ago

The thing is, I can’t read people’s minds. The stakes here are too high and partisanship too much in play to just settle for inferring intent based on actions. We need hard evidence one way or the other.

What they were doing - on the surface - was legal. Stupid? Of course. But still perfectly legal. Donald Trump is not the first person to use our courts or access to public officials to flog the shit out of an absurdly thin claim with no credible evidence. He won’t be the last, either.

The question is was he doing this in good faith? Or did he understand all along that he lost fair and square? I honestly don’t know. People can talk themselves into believing all sorts of madness, so who knows? For example, look at all the people who still think Stacey Abrams was robbed. Those claims are just as dumb, but the people making them haven’t embarrassed themselves quite as much as the Trump people have.

The smoking gun in this case would be some kind of written communication that made it clear Trump and his people believed they had lost the election fairly but that they had a strategy to manipulate the system in bad faith to overturn the election. If that ends up being the case, they should all be thrown in jail.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.2  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.1    2 years ago

But Tacos!, you know that they were trying to direct circumstances so that Trump would be inaugurated instead of Biden.  

It does not matter if what they did and what they tried to do was 100% legal (which clearly it was not), the intended result was to have Trump be declared the winner and continue as PotUS.   There is no mind-reading required here.

So, given that, were they trying to create a result that was in opposition to the legitimate votes of the American people?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.1    2 years ago
The question is was he doing this in good faith? Or did he understand all along that he lost fair and square? I honestly don’t know. People can talk themselves into believing all sorts of madness, so who knows?

Absolutely ludicrous. 

We can KNOW that Trump made all this shit up if for no other reason than that he was going to make the same sort of wild accusations in 2016 if he had lost that election to Clinton. He said, in 2016, that if he lost it would be because the election was stolen from him.  In 2016. Of course he lucked out and won in 2016 so he didnt have to go plan b. 

So 2020 was just more of the same he had planned all along. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.4  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.2    2 years ago
But Tacos!, you know that they were trying to direct circumstances so that Trump would be inaugurated instead of Biden.

Yes, I have already said that a couple times. 

It does not matter if what they did and what they tried to do was 100% legal

I’m sorry, but if it’s 100% legal, that matters a great deal.

the intended result was to have Trump be declared the winner and continue as PotUS.

You keep repeating that as if I have said otherwise. I don’t understand why, though.

So, given that, were they trying to create a result that was in opposition to the legitimate votes of the American people?

As I have said, I cannot say what they believed, but their public position was that having Trump continue as president would be the outcome that reflected the legitimate (but stolen) votes of the American people. They said a million times that Biden winning was not legitimate. I have never heard any of them say that they thought Biden won fair and square but that Trump should be inaugurated in spite of that.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.5  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.3    2 years ago
In 2016. Of course he lucked out and won in 2016 so he didnt have to go plan b. 

Actually, in 2016, he claimed that 3-5 million votes were illegally counted for Clinton. Remember that he lost the popular vote by about 3 million. So even though he won the Electoral College, he still claimed fraud and did so with even less evidence than he had in 2020.

I wonder if it could be a ploy that he would always use. It wouldn’t surprise me if it were a tactic he has used before in business.

Or it may just be that his narcissism runs so deep that he genuinely can’t accept the idea that he could ever lose a popularity contest unless the opponent cheated.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.6  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.5    2 years ago

If Trump had not been president or if he had ridden off into the sunset now your playing down of the seriousness of all this might be more persuasive. But neither of those are the case. 

He wants power again. Do you want people to stand aside and just see what happens? Or should every patriotic American denounce him and collectively drive him off the scene? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.7  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.6    2 years ago
If Trump had not been president or if he had ridden off into the sunset now your playing down of the seriousness of all this might be more persuasive.

Again, I am not playing down anything. All I am doing is waiting for the evidence to be presented before I say what did or did not happen.

He wants power again.

Big surprise. A lot of people want power. Biden wanted power.

Do you want people to stand aside and just see what happens?

Stand aside? What does that even mean?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.8  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.7    2 years ago

It is a waste of time to talk to you. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.9  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.8    2 years ago

I assume that’s because I don’t obediently agree with everything you say. If you’re here for the echo chamber experience, then yes, you are wasting your time talking to me.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.10  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.4    2 years ago
I’m sorry, but if it’s 100% legal, that matters a great deal.

If a judge were to have ruled in Trump's favor that would be considered a legal win.   This is an example of a 100% legal act by Trump, et. al. that was part of an attempt by Trump to steal the election.   If Trump had successfully coerced others to rule in his favor on matters (e.g. state legislators), his actions would be 100% legal (albeit entirely unethical) but would still be part of an attempt to steal an election.

That is what I meant.

Do you believe that the 2020 election was fraudulent and that Trump legitimately won?

I expect you will answer:  'no'. 

Do you believe that Trump, et. al. tried to find a way for Trump to stay in office for a second term?

Your answer (as you just affirmed) is:  'yes'.

Assuming I have provided the correct answers then the only conclusion that I can see is that Trump, et. al. was trying to steal a second term.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.11  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.9    2 years ago

You have a long history of making excuses for Trump. That is your problem, not mine. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.12  Tacos!  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.10    2 years ago
the only conclusion that I can see is that Trump, et. al. was trying to steal a second term.

I have had no problem allowing that as a possibility. However, my opinions or theories don’t tell us anything factual about the mind of Trump or his followers. It may also be that he was either hoping against hope that fraud had happened, or he is just so self deluded that he can’t accept that he lost legitimately. 

So far, the evidence that he was knowingly and intentionally trying to steal a second term is not strong. Merely refusing to give up the fight is pretty weak evidence of fraud. Why continue going to court? Why seek audits? Why demand extra recounts? Why appeal to governors or the Vice President? In other words, why seek relief through the legal system if he doesn’t believe there is a legal path to a second term?

As coups go, it wasn’t very aggressive.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.13  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.11    2 years ago

No, I have a long history of thinking for myself instead of going along with some political party. And you are making my point about needing people to agree with you.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.14  TᵢG  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.12    2 years ago
In other words, why seek relief through the legal system if he doesn’t believe there is a legal path to a second term?

The other possibility of course is that Trump gratuitously engaged in a big game to put forth a pretense that he did not actually lose.

But then his attempt to suborn Pence to commit an unconstitutional act to table certified counts suggests an attempt to steal rather than simply an ego-preserving pretense.   And trying to coerce officials to find votes for him likewise.

As coups go, it wasn’t very aggressive.

I would not call what he did an attempted coup.   But I think his actions were extremely aggressive given the actual evidence he had to support his claims.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.2.15  author  JohnRussell  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.14    2 years ago
I would not call what he did an attempted coup.  

By the time we got to Jan 6, Joe Biden was the incoming president. All the states had sent the electors to Congress that they wanted to, there were no "disputed" outcomes in any of the states. 

So it was a coup , (although the word may not be a perfect fit for what happened it has been accepted in the popular parlance). 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.16  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.15    2 years ago

Why nit-pick on a word?   You and I are in basic agreement on this issue, why distract and diffuse?

Call it whatever you wish.   What is important is that Trump clearly (at least to me) dishonestly tried to stay in office after losing the election.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.17  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.2    2 years ago

All you'll get is hemming and hawing, twisting and twisting when it comes the whatshisname enablers.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.18  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @8.2.11    2 years ago

I'm so sick and tired of the excuses and the hemming and the hawing of the whatshisname enablers.  It's beyond ludicrous.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.19  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.12    2 years ago
"So far, the evidence that he was knowingly and intentionally trying to steal a second term is not strong. Merely refusing to give up the fight is pretty weak evidence of fraud. Why continue going to court? Why seek audits? Why demand extra recounts? Why appeal to governors or the Vice President? In other words, why seek relief through the legal system if he doesn’t believe there is a legal path to a second term?  As coups go, it wasn’t very aggressive."

Oh FFS.  Unfreakingbelieveable.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.2.20  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @8.2.19    2 years ago

If you don’t have an actual response, why hit “reply?”

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2.21  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.2    2 years ago
It does not matter if what they did and what they tried to do was 100% legal (which clearly it was not),

It no longer ceases to amaze me that those defending the violence of many of the insurrectionists on Jan 6  believe it was all legal...(for instance: Violently attacking officers of the law)

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.22  TᵢG  replied to  Krishna @8.2.21    2 years ago

We were talking about Trump and his cohorts, but I agree with your comment nonetheless.

Dulay
Professor Guide
8.2.24  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.1    2 years ago
We need hard evidence one way or the other.

Listen to the tape of Trump's call with Georgia's SOS. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8.2.25  TᵢG  replied to  Dulay @8.2.24    2 years ago

This is embarrassing (for the nation) to listen to.

Gordy327
Professor Guide
8.2.26  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.25    2 years ago
This is embarrassing (for the nation) to listen to.

Even more embarrassing (and downright delusional) that some people still believe the election was stolen.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.2.27  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gordy327 @8.2.26    2 years ago

Well, if Americans are seeking something that will unify them, there's always the Superbowl, but now that I think of it, even IT'S a conflict between teams and each have their supporters.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.28  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.7    2 years ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.29  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @8.2.12    2 years ago

Dulay
Professor Guide
8.2.30  Dulay  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.25    2 years ago

Unfortunately, there is a far too large majority of the RW that continue to claim that phone call was 'perfect'. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.31  Tessylo  replied to  TᵢG @8.2.25    2 years ago

May or may not be true . . . . supposedly shredded . . . . burning ballots . . . dumping ballots . . . many of them will be certified . . . won't be certified . . . . they are certified . . . . 

he contradicts himself in just about every statement

An hour long rant of made up shit and lies

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.32  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @8.2.31    2 years ago

Mr. 'President' - the data you have is wrong

We don't have the records that you have.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.3  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @8    2 years ago
And we can observe that the violence at the Capitol went way beyond ordinary protest. But the fact remains, the campaign to overturn the election was conducted largely in the open via recounts, audits, and court actions - basically every legal avenue available

True-- that's one way they tried.

But that's not the whole story.

The other way that was tried was an attempt, by use of deadly force, to stop Mike Pense from certifying the results.

of course both approaches failed-- but the fact is both were tried.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.4  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @8    2 years ago
This isn’t new information. Is there someone out there - conservative or liberal - who thought they weren’t trying to overturn the election?

I'm sure most reasonably informed people are aware of that. 

However I wouldn't be surprised if some of the crazier MAGA-cultists believe those tactics were all legit (i.e. believing that Trump actually did win the election, that it was "stolen" by "da libs")...and the Jan 6 insurrectionistas were honestly trying to "right a wrong".) Some of these people are incredibly stupid (or incredibly gullible, to say the least!!!)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  author  JohnRussell    2 years ago

Adam Kinzinger
@AdamKinzinger
 · 

19h

“He could have overturned the election.”

This is an admission, and a massively un-American statement. It is time for every Republican leader to pick a side… Trump or the Constitution, there is no middle on defending our nation anymore.

========================================================================================

Liz Cheney
@Liz_Cheney
 · 
9h
Trump uses language he knows caused the Jan 6 violence; suggests he’d pardon the Jan 6 defendants, some of whom have been charged with seditious conspiracy; threatens prosecutors; and admits he was attempting to overturn the election. He’d do it all again if given the chance.

Moose Knuckle
Freshman Quiet
10  Moose Knuckle    2 years ago

I was listening to videos from Wanda from Q, she says Trump won by a lot.

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.1  Krishna  replied to  Moose Knuckle @10    2 years ago
I was listening to videos from Wanda from Q, she says Trump won by a lot.

Well-- if "Wanda from Q said it"-- than it must be true!

Krishna
Professor Expert
11  Krishna    2 years ago

Actually I heard a guy named Joe (AKA "The Big Noise from Speonk") who said Trump lost.

By a lot!

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @11    2 years ago
Actually I heard a guy named Joe (AKA "The Big Noise from Speonk") who said Trump lost. By a lot!

A friend of mine has a talking Parrot-- he said it was too close to call....