╌>

Dragonflies In My Yard And Garden

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  wheel  •  9 years ago  •  22 comments

Dragonflies In My Yard And Garden

1098_discussions.jpg?width=750 This one was hard to see. The wings are so gossamer that it's easier to see the shadow of the wing than the wing itself.

1099_discussions.jpg?width=750 There are a lot of this kind of dragonfly around my house.

1100_discussions.jpg?width=750 My grandfather called this kind of dragonfly a 'snake doctor'. No idea why.

1101_discussions.jpg?width=750 I just like this picture. It is really hard to sneak up on a dragonfly. Smile.gif

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

Really amazing photos, Wheel. I never knew you were gifted photographer.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
link   seeder  Wheel    9 years ago

Actually...my son gave me a smartphone as an early birthday present. I have it in my pocket all the time and I spend a lot of time in the yard and garden. I spent 30 mins. standing perfectly still after slowly creeping up for several minutes to get those dragonfly pictures. I took about 2 dozen to get these. Grin.gif

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

Wheel

Absolutely fabulous shots

Thanks for sharing

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

Great photos Wheel. Thanks for posting them.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

Almost nobody has a land line here - everyone uses cell phones, and it is considered a status symbol to have the latest and best smartphone. It encourages everyone to become an amateur photographer.

As a child, I was fascinated by dragonflies - but they seemed relatively tame then, and tolerated human presence.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet

These were pretty timid. But after I stood still long enough they seemed to forget about me. I really like that bottom picture. You can see the pattern of the tree bark through the transparent portions of her wings.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

I noticed that tree bark thing happening. Camouflage for dragonflies or dragonflies n camuflage!

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    9 years ago

Beautiful insects !

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    9 years ago

Great shots! I think theyare so pretty!Here is some info aboutdragon flies ..

Wheel
Freshman Quiet

I've done a little checking around. The top picture is a Yellow Banded Dragonfly

The Snake Doctor is a mature male Common Whitetail Dragonfly

The bottom one, the one on the tree bark is a female Common Whitetail Dragonfly.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet

Aren't they? They're functional looking as a WWII aircraft.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    9 years ago
Cool!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Very interesting info. I always knew they ate mosquitoes, but didn't know much else about them. They are absolutely great to have around.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Wheel, not only was that a good photo essay, but it provoked comments that were quite interesting and educational. You are a member of the Creative Arts group, so why don't you spend a little more time taking photos and post them there so that those of us who have a bent for photography can enjoy them.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    9 years ago

I love dragonflies and these are great pictures! When I was a kid I was terrified of them because an older cousin of mine told me that they bit hard enough to draw blood! I did, however, get to hear my cousin reamed out by my uncle for lying to me about that, so that made up for it.Grin.gif

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    9 years ago

My kind of images!

Wheel
Freshman Quiet

Glad you like them. I'm not happy with the top one. The original picture has much more detail. But it doesn't come through in the jpeg format. I'm really happy with the bottom one, I worked for that one.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    8 years ago

The transparent wings are the key to the camouflage … they not only blend in with the background, they show the background!

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
link   seeder  Wheel  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

They also make it hard to get a good picture. :)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

These are so lovely!  You're a great photographer!  And willing to do what it takes to get the shot!  BRAVO!

I love dragonflies, too-- they're really great bugs, in just about every way!