╌>

Anti-Semitic Incidents on College Campuses on the Rise

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  spikegary  •  8 years ago  •  73 comments

Anti-Semitic Incidents on College Campuses on the Rise

Source

Anti-Semitic incidents on college campuses nearly doubled last year and violence against Jews is on the rise, a watchdog group reported Wednesday.

The Anti-Defamation League noted that 90 anti-Jewish incidents were reported at 60 schools last year compared with 47 incidents on 43 campuses in 2014

Among other troubling cases, there was a spate of swastika-spraying on various campuses across the country on important days in Jewish history, such as the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. And at CUNY- Hunter College in New York City, a protest for free tuition turned ugly when demonstrators suddenly began chanting "Zionists out of CUNY! Zionists out of CUNY!" ADL chief Jonathan Greenblatt said the silver lining is that most U.S. colleges and universities remain havens for Jewish students — and when anti-Semitism emerges, administrators have been quick to respond.                      

"Despite the increase in anti-Semitic incidents on campus, such incidents are still relatively rare and the vast majority of Jewish students report feeling safe on their campuses," Greenblatt said. "When such incidents do occur, they are generally condemned by administrators and the wider campus communities at their respective colleges."

College campuses have long been a proxy battleground for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, with students protesting for and against the Jewish state.

But since 2005, the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement has been spearheading the drive to punish Israel economically to protest the treatment of Palestinians. Not only has it taken root on many campuses, it has garnered the support of some American Jews .

In some cases, Greenblatt said, the BDS movement "plays out on the college campus in the form of anti-Semitic speech and incidents."

"One example of this was the alarming anti-Semitic incident at UCLA in March 2015 in which a student was asked, "Given that you are a Jewish student and very active in the Jewish community, how do you see yourself being able to maintain an unbiased view?" Greenblatt said.                      

This happened during a Student Council meeting where a student was being vetted for a spot on the council's Judicial Board, he said.

The ADL, which compiles the statistics for its annual audit by having its 37 branch offices reach out to local law enforcement, divides anti-Semitic incidents into three categories — "assaults," "vandalism" and "harassment, threats and events."

And there was a big jump in the number of physical assaults on Jews, the ADL reported. There were 56 last year, up from 36 in 2014. "We are disturbed that violent anti-Semitic incidents are rising," said Greenblatt. "And we know that for every incident reported, there's likely another that goes unreported."                      

The ADL also reported "an explosion of hate online, especially on social media" in 2015. "Online hate is particularly disturbing because of the ubiquity of social media and its deep penetration into our daily lives, plus the anonymity offered by certain platforms which facilitates this phenomenon," Greenblatt said. "The issue has grown exponentially in recent years because the Internet provides racists and bigots with an outlet to reach a potential audience of millions.

The states with the highest number of anti-Semitic incidents continued to be the states with the largest Jewish populations — New York, California, New Jersey, Florida and Massachusetts.

While the trend is worrisome, ADL national chair Marvin Nathan said "the good news is that the number of anti-Semitic incidents overall are much lower that we witnessed in the mid-2000s."

"While that decrease is encouraging, it is troubling that on average there is one anti-Semitic assault reported in this country every week, and at least two anti-Jewish incidents on average every single day," Nathan said. "These numbers do not even account for all of the online harassment we see every hour on social media, which is so widespread it is difficult to quantify."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary    8 years ago

"The ADL also reported "an explosion of hate online, especially on social media" in 2015"

Yes it is. Just read pretty much any social media site these days and see the hate barely contained. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

And there was a big jump in the number of physical assaults on Jews, the ADL reported. There were 56 last year, up from 36 in 2014. "We are disturbed that violent anti-Semitic incidents are rising," said Greenblatt. "And we know that for every incident reported, there's likely another that goes unreported."

Yup - mass destruction - gotta call out the Army, National Guard, Air Guard, Border Patrol, etc..  Hope they all have John's guns for protection 'cause he can't use them.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  1stwarrior   8 years ago

1st,

So you are OK with college kids being attacked for who they are?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Absolutely - especially when -

43.7% of women of non-Hispanic Black race/ethnicity, 46% of women of American Indian or Alaska Native race/ethnicity, and 53.8% of multiracial non-Hispanic women reported experiencing rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.

- 45.3% of American Indian or Alaska Native men, 38.6% of Black men, and 39.3% of multiracial men reported experiencing rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime

show a much more prevalent incident rate than a TWENTY/20 person increase in 12 months.

Sorry, but, yes, it's sad that there was an increase of 20 people in 12 months but the larger picture should be to reduce/handle/punish the perpetrators of the 43.7%, 46%, 53.8%, 45.3%, 38.6% and 39.3% numbers first.  

Get your priorities in line.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

1st, so you are going with two wrongs make a right? Sorry, I don't see it that way. None of this is right. Furthermore, right now worldwide, anti semitism is at an all time high since WWII. Do we really want to join the ranks of Europe? So my priorities are inline. No one should be experience violence for who they are. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates

No Perrie - I'm just trying to show how, and I do this as well, one person's outrage doesn't equate to general outrage.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

1st,

You are still missing the point. I know 1st hand about rape on campus, and it isn't only people of color that are getting raped. Rape is about power. And as for physical assaults, no one should have to endure that. In the case of this article, we can ID the source, which is a specific movement. I wish it was so easy with other types of violence. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates

And you're missing my point - but . . . . . .

1stwarrior
Professor Participates

" The percentage of students enrolling in college in the fall immediately following high school completion was 65.9 percent in 2013 (source). In fall 2015, some  20.2 million students  are expected to attend American colleges and universities, constituting an increase of about  4.9 million  since fall 2000 (source). " - 

" Top 60 Schools Jews Choose (A breakdown by percentage) - 

The following are the top 60 schools with the largest percentage of Jewish students to the total undergraduate student population

1. Yeshiva University : 3,076 Jewish students, 100%
  2. Jewish Theological Seminary of America : 200 Jewish students, 100%
  3. American Jewish University : 110 Jewish students, 100%
  4. Brandeis University : 1,750 Jewish students, 48%
  5. Barnard College : 1,000 Jewish students, 40%
  6. University of Hartford : 1,500 Jewish students, 32%
  7. Muhlenberg College : 750 Jewish students, 31%
  8. Goucher College : 450 Jewish students, 31%
  9. George Washington University : 3,000 Jewish students, 29%
  10. Oberlin College : 850 Jewish students, 29%
  11. CUNY, Brooklyn College : 4,000 Jewish students, 29%
  12. Yale University : 1,500 Jewish students, 28%
  13. New York University : 6,000 Jewish students, 27%
  14. Columbia University : 2,400 Jewish students, 27%
  15. Tulane University : 2,250 Jewish students, 27%
  16. Emory University : 2,100 Jewish students, 27%
  17. Sarah Lawrence College : 350 Jewish students, 27%
  18. Binghamton University : 3,500 Jewish students, 27%
  19. University at Albany : 3,500 Jewish students, 27%
  20. University of Pennsylvania : 2,500 Jewish students, 26%
  21. Queens College : 4,000 Jewish students, 26%
  22. Harvard University : 1,675 Jewish students, 25%
  23. Haverford College : 300 Jewish students, 25%
  24. Tufts University : 1,250 Jewish students, 24%
  25. Long Island University, Brooklyn Campus : 1,200 Jewish students, 24%
  26. Hampshire College : 325 Jewish students, 24%
  27. American University : 1,600 Jewish students, 23%
  28. Wesleyan University : 680 Jewish students, 23%
  29. University of Maryland : 5,800 Jewish students, 22%
  30. Boston University : 3,500 Jewish students, 21%
  31. Cornell University : 3,000 Jewish students, 21%
  32. Vassar College : 500 Jewish students, 21%
  33. Washington University : 1,500 Jewish students, 20%
  34. Hofstra University : 1,350 Jewish students, 20%
  35. Skidmore College : 500 Jewish students, 19%
  36. Rutgers University : 6,400 Jewish students, 19%
  37. University of Miami : 2,000 Jewish students, 18%
  38. University of Vermont : 2,000 Jewish students, 18%
  39. Syracuse University : 2,500 Jewish students, 17%
  40. Lehigh University : 800 Jewish students, 17%
  41. Clark University : 400 Jewish students, 17%
  42. Kenyon College : 275 Jewish students, 17%
  43. Bryn Mawr College : 200 Jewish students, 17%
  44. Union College : 350 Jewish students, 16%
  45. University of Michigan : 4,500 Jewish students, 16%
  46. SUNY College at Oswego : 1,050 Jewish students, 16%
  47. Northwestern University : 1,400 Jewish students, 15%
  48. Vanderbilt University : 1,050 Jewish students, 15%
  49. Brown University : 1,000 Jewish students, 15%
  50. University of Rochester : 900 Jewish students, 15%
  51. Franklin & Marshall College : 370 Jewish students, 15%
  52. Middlebury College : 350 Jewish students, 15%
  53. University of Florida : 5,000 Jewish students, 15%
  54. University of Chicago : 800 Jewish students, 14%
  55. McMaster University : 3,500 Jewish students, 14%
  56. University of California, Santa Barbara : 2,750 Jewish students, 14%
  57. Queensborough Community College : 2,000 Jewish students, 14%
  58. Trinity College : 300 Jewish students, 13%
  59. Amherst College : 225 Jewish students, 13%

University of Wisconsin : 4,200 Jewish students, 13%"

112,286 Jewish students out of 20,200,000 college students = .0056% of the college population.

56 Jewish students out of 112,286 being "harassed" = .00049% of Jewish college population.

Nope - don't see it - nothing epidemic about the number of Jewish students being harassed.

HOWEVER, I do agree that violence of any kind against any ethnicity in any setting is totally inappropriate and, if a "specific" group is being targeted, could be classified as discrimination/hate.  

That has to stop .

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  1stwarrior   8 years ago

I'm not so sure about the numbers on that list. I was almost shocked to see my alma mater, McMaster University, listed, but the percentage shown at 14% far exceeds the 2% number claimed by the McMaster Hillel website. As well, the number at 3,500 Jewish students exceeds the total number of all students when I was there almost 6 decades ago, and does not correspond with the much lesser number shown on the McMaster Hillel website.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  1stwarrior   8 years ago

Why do you hate Jews so much?

Have you ever actually met one?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

"Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me?" (Robert deNiro in Taxi Driver)

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

"Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me?" (Robert deNiro in Taxi Driver)

Darn-- I did it again. Didn't make it clear in my reply who it was addressed to. I'm going to start regularly doing what I did in this comment: Putting in a brief quote from  the comment I'm replying to at the beginning of my comment..

No, I was referring to that bizarre listing of various schools with the % of Jews in each in an attempt to "prove" that all the attacks (mainly verbal) against Jews was either non existent or greatly exaggerated. Aside from everything else his conclusion is not only false, but posting all that stuff doesn't make any sense because it doesn't prove anything.

But everyone occasionally posts something stupid (yes, believe or not--  even me! Sad .. so its best to ignore it).

Krishna
Professor Expert

" Top 60 Schools Jews Choose (A breakdown by percentage) - 

That Jews choose? While the data as to the numbers & percentages of Jews in each school may or may not be accurate, it is a bit misleading. Yes, the numbers in each school reflects the schools Jews choose-- but that's only half of the equation. Like everyone else, Jews choose schools that they don't get accepted to.

Hillel.org's description of what that data represents is slightly misleading-- because the schools those students chooose is only part of the picture. It also reflects which schools choose to accept a lot of Jews!

So, for example, its possible that one school may have, say, only 5% Jews. Does that definitely mean that not many Jews have chosen it? Possibly. But maybe not. It is also possible that many Jews did in fact choose it-- but the school didn't accept many of them.

So the numbers of Jews in each school is not based solely one one factor  (which school the students chose)-- but rather 2 factors: which ones have a lot of Jews applying, but also which ones accept a lot of Jews!

So who cares, anyway? Why am I doing this?

Well, first of all in the interest of accuracy. But also for another reason. Analyzing this data, there's something else I noticed.  And besides merely being interesting, it may possibly shed some light on why why there's so much anti-Semitism.

One thing I noticed is that there are a lot of Jews in many of those schools & a lot f them have percentages in the 20s. A lot near 25%. Why is that important? Well, if you knew the percentage of Jews in the overall population, you might discover something interesting!

Krishna
Professor Expert

Absolutely - especially when -

43.7% of women of non-Hispanic Black race/ethnicity, 46% of women of American Indian or Alaska Native race/ethnicity, and 53.8% of multiracial non-Hispanic women reported experiencing rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.

- 45.3% of American Indian or Alaska Native men, 38.6% of Black men, and 39.3% of multiracial men reported experiencing rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime

show a much more prevalent incident rate than a TWENTY/20 person increase in 12 months.

Sorry, but, yes, it's sad that there was an increase of 20 people in 12 months but the larger picture should be to reduce/handle/punish the perpetrators of the 43.7%, 46%, 53.8%, 45.3%, 38.6% and 39.3% numbers first.  

Get your priorities in line.

I agree-- there's a lot of wisdom in that olde saying:

Two wrongs make a right!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

Social media seems to be a huge outlet for hate of all kinds, so I don't find this surprising. I have seen it on facebook myself. A lot of it has to do with BDS and a lack of historical knowledge. Events like "Die Ins' are happening on campuses and although they are not in themselves anti semitic acts, the emotional fallout leads to anti semitism on campus. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

In some cases, Greenblatt said, the BDS movement "plays out on the college campus in the form of anti-Semitic speech and incidents."

I think this is the heart of the matter. Some people think BDS is inherently anti-semitic, and the debate over that itself makes things worse. 

Israel is a Jewish state. There is a 'logical' conclusion then reached that any criticism of Israel is anti-semitism. 

I am sure that many BDS people are anti-semitic. But criticism and even some action against the Israeli government is not inherently anti-semitic. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

John,

First, criticism of Israel is just fine. It is a state, not a people. Frankly, I have my complaints about the current government there. But that is not what BDS is about.

BDS is about the destruction of Israel. They don't want negotiations.  They do not want to engage in a dialog about a two state solution. The leadership has been shown to be anti semitic. The kids who follow on college campuses, do not understand the issues and are fueled by current events. They do not know that what BDS wants is nothing less than the destruction of Israel. 

If you are interested, I have a two part video with that is very enlightening. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

You should post whatever you feel is enlightening. 

Having watched the anti-semitism allegation over the years, including here, to me it is a mixed bag. I have been called anti-semitic because I criticized Israel about something. Many people conflate criticism of Israel with anti-semitism. Buzz regularly brings up some international protocol which concludes that criticism of Israel IS anti-semitism under certain conditions,  conditions that are decided upon by the very body that is making the charges of anti-semitism. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

So what you are saying, John, is that in no circumstances is criticism of Israel anti-Semitic.  Double standards are okay with you, I guess.  Attacking Israel while ignoring so many other countries with worse records is okay, i.e. giving the other countries a pass while requiring Israel to be perfect within your definition of perfection is okay.  Yes, I have posted the protocol adopted by Canada, the USA, the EU that defines anti-Semitism. That's not good enough for you. It's too strict then in your opinion, Israel should, in your opinion, be much more democratic, much more tolerant, much more perfect than any other country. Israel, according to you, deserves being attacked physically and verbally since its inception. THAT IS ANTI-SEMITISM, John.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

. Israel, according to you, deserves being attacked physically and verbally since its inception.

Buzz , don't put words in my mouth. That is the friendliest thing I can say to you at the moment.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I am sorry, but perhaps instead of doing nothing more than calling me out for approving of the definition of anti-Semitism that is acceptable to and adopted by most of the civilized western world, you put your money where your mouth is and give us YOUR definition of "anti-Semistism" and why it does NOT apply to ANY, even unfair vicious demonizing double standard criticism of Israel, since you must feel that the Ottawa Protocol is too restrictive. If you are not willing to indicate YOUR criteria, then don't ever again come crying to me to establish that you are NOT an anti-Semite, or quote me as saying that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

The problem with your definition of anti-semitism is that you get to apply it at your whim, rather than in an analytical way. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Now you know why I had to put words in your mouth - it's because you DON'T put words in your mouth. If you have no definition of anti-Semitism, no criteria, then if you criticize Israel without criteria you may well be an anti-Semite. You have to commit to SOMETHING John. You can't just keep telling others that THEY must commit while you refuse to do so.

And NO, I DON'T apply the Ottawa Protocol in a whimsical way. It is perfectly clear, and either words spoken or written fit the definitions or do not. I am not the judge of it.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

That is the friendliest thing I can say to you at the moment.

Seriously John-- what is your purpose in saying that?

Krishna
Professor Expert

Buzz regularly brings up some international protocol which concludes that criticism of Israel IS anti-Semitism under certain conditions,  conditions that are decided upon by the very body that is making the charges of anti-Semitism. 

People (on both sides of the issue) often make it more complicated than it actually is. Its actually quite simple:

1. Criticism of Israeli government policies is not anti-Semitic. (Heck-- I've been to Israel. Most of the harshest criticism of the government's policies I've heard has come from Israelis themselves-- Zionists!)

2. Advocating destruction of Israel is.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

I think it's great that some states are boycotting those who cooperate with BDS and the implementation of its goals.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

John,

I don't view you as an anti semite. I don't regard criticism alone to make that judgement. Double speak I do. 

Norman Finkelstein, who is a huge critic of israel and is often called a Jewish anti semite, did an interview with a BDS low level leadership (read that as useful idiot). Here are the link to an interview. You will see that BDS is a hateful group, (actually Finkelstein calls BDS a cult).

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Very interesting interview Perrie. I watched most of it. 

In this discussion, I would definitely agree with Finkelstein. What I don't get though, is the conclusion that the other guy is necessarily anti-semitic. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I actually don't think he is anti semitic (hence why I called him a useful idiot). BDS lies about their final outcome and he just doesn't get it. The reason he doesn't get it, is because he a. doesn't know the history of the region and b. doesn't understand what BDS is actually selling. That is why Finkelstein grew annoyed with him. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

The "BDS" guy in the video believes that it would be fair to have all the Arabs return to Israel as having full rights (which would make the Jews the voting minority) without his acceptance of what the repercussions of that would be. 

From one perspective that would be "fair". From another it would not. Finkelstein rightfully tells him that such a position also goes contrary to accepted international law (Israel as PRESENTLY constituted (Jewish) is a state).

Krishna
Professor Expert

The "BDS" guy in the video believes that it would be fair to have all the Arabs return to Israel as having full rights (which would make the Jews the voting minority) without his acceptance of what the repercussions of that would be. 

The repercussions of Israel having an Arab majority is obvious-- it would no longer be a democracy! 

Currently, Israel's Arab citizens have the right to vote. (Ironically, they would not have that in any Arab country. Well,  maybe one, I believe Tunisia (last time I cheked) is struggling to fight of extremists and become a democracy-- but I doubt they'll succeed).

So if there were to be an Arab majority in Israel, they would do what Arabs have done in every otherArab country on the rare occasions where there was a democracy- they would vote in a theocratic dictatorship!

You could argue that that's fair-- after all that's what the Arabs wanted. But what about the Jewish inhabitants? (And for tht matter, the Arab Israelis who know they have it better under israeli democracy than Arab totalitarianism)

Krishna
Professor Expert

From one perspective that would be "fair". From another it would not. Finkelstein rightfully tells him that such a position also goes contrary to accepted international law (Israel as PRESENTLY constituted (Jewish) is a state).

Why did you post this comment?

jdychn
Freshman Silent
link   jdychn  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

BDS is the only issue Fink has right.  Otherwise, he is embarassing and a self-hating Jew.  I don't ever refer to him  as a source because he is entirely wrong on so many issues.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  jdychn   8 years ago

BDS is the only issue Fink has right.  Otherwise, he is embarassing and a self-hating Jew.  I don't ever refer to him  as a source because he is entirely wrong on so many issues.  

Which is the very reason I used this video. If BDS seems like a fraud to him, then it's really bad. 

jdychn
Freshman Silent
link   jdychn  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Understood.  I really can't stand him, though!  I had a friend who worked at DePaul uni when Fink was denied tenure, and we shared ia great deal of mutual satisfaction with that result.  

I do not give any credence to the BDS movement and do not see it as a viable threat.  It only ends up hurting the supposed "Palestine cause" any way.   

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    8 years ago

I'm sure everyone will be shocked to learn that I blame Mr. Netanyahu for the increase in violence against our Jewish community.  He is evil and hateful and divisive and and and evil (oops, I already said that).  He has brought a negative spot light to the Jewish community and to Israel in which people are questioning the motives of Israel under his leadership.

With that said, I think this is absolutely deplorable what is being done to Jewish students.  I don't support any discrimination in any way or form.  Anyone who practices such actions is nothing more than a low life with low intelligence.   There is freedom of speech but any actions that incite violence or discrimination is never acceptable and anyone participating in such actions should be immediately removed or expelled from the campuses.  Ignorance breeds ignorance. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    8 years ago

There is ugliness abounding all over the planet, against groups of every sort.

Ugly is ugly. Period! 

People of good faith and character decry it all.

I stand on my seven decade record as fighting in many ways.

Examples are activism, advocacy, preaching, specking, writing, and when necessary physically against hatred, bigotry, discrimination, persecution, initiating violence, etc.

I call upon all people of good will to reflect that their priorities are straight.

Overcome hate with love.

Defeat ignorance with knowledge.

Achieve tolerance, understanding, and building coalitions on common ground while respecting differences.

When all else fails, and there is no other option, stand up to bullies, never back down, and never lose.

Even bigots know that getting their butts kicked good and proper is less attractive than learning to live and let live.

We are all in this together. We stand together or hang separately.

Unity means the bad ones lose, not win.

That should and must be everyone's goal, no matter how or where numbers run.

Peace, Abundant Blessings, and Insuring Good Emerges Victorious, for the Advancement of Humanity.

Enoch.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

Well said Enoch!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

Thanks for stopping in, Enoch.  Your words are always beneficial to those that will listen.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

Dear Friend Spikegary: Thanks for seeding a most important article. It stimulated a broader discussion that needs to take place.

Its almost the 4th of July. I will send you an email before lunch today.

Its time to drive the Enochobile west on Route 31, so we can grab dinner together.

Niagara County residents are demanding more joke telling from us over plates of pasta, meat and seafood. 

Its our duty and mandate to do this in such a politically charged year.

Enoch, ordering Vox Populi over a bed of Mushroom, Butternut Squash. and Asparagus Risotto, with a glass of Leonard Oakes dry red Chambourcin served room temperature.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

Well, as always, you are welcome, my friend, we can discuss the 'when'.  Been crazy days, cancer and death and such this month.  A kind face and voice are always welcome, especially now.

jdychn
Freshman Silent
link   jdychn  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

"I stand on my seven decade record as fighting in many ways."

Bravo!  We could use millions more like you.  If people were just 1/100th like you, there would be peace on earth.  You are an amazing man.  The world must be frustrating at times for you.  Like a tennis pro having a match with a toddler.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  jdychn   8 years ago

Dear Friend jdchyn: Thank you kindly.

Your words are very meaningful and moving.

Peace and Abundant Blessings to You and Yours Always.

Enoch.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

There is ugliness abounding all over the planet, against groups of every sort.

Its all Netanyahu's fault-- he should be removed from office!

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

Hey.........Krishna - that's my schtick!  Now I'm going to have to come up with something else!!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Hey.........Krishna - that's my schtick!  Now I'm going to have to come up with something else!!!

Well here's what bothers me about comments like that-- it seems to be a growing trend. 

Which is?

I see a trend where people are no longer held responsible for their actions. Violent attacks on Jews-- worldwide? Well, its not the perps' fault-- you can't held them responsible. After all, the head of a foreign country's actions that you don't like-- made them do it!

Violent terrorism? Again, you can't the perps responsible-- George Bush's war on forced them to do it!

And  this seems to be increasing in all areas...IMO ultimately it will have dire consequences. (its already happening)>

BTW, I'm no fan of Netanyahu-- but to use his actions as an excuse to attack Jews in far-a-way places promotes irresponsibility.

P.S: Apologies if I am a bit overly confrontational-- but Brexit  made me do it. I have no control of my actions because of  Brexit. Or-- maybe I can't be held responsible for my actions because of-- global warming! Yes-- that's a good one!

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

Krishna - I really don't think Mr. Netanyahu is responsible for everything bad that happens related to Israel.  I admit that I find him divisive and I believe he does things that benefit himself rather than Israel but I also know he isn't responsible for the actions of radicals.  And if I'm being completely honest I'll also admit that I like to aggravate a couple members who believe Mr. Netanyahu does no wrong.  If humor is no longer a way to soften the message than I think we're all in trouble.  " The devil made me do it" is an oldie but goodie so I'll stick with that rather than Brexit.  To each his own.  

Al-316
Professor Silent
link   Al-316  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

Krishna, there is no need for apologies.

I have congenital Israelifluenza myself. Actually, it is not a malady, but rather a cure for BDS.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

I wonder what those who hate Bibi and the LIkud government are going to do if and when they are not in power any more? Will they actually support Israel as the Jewish state, or as called by the UN at the time of Partition: "A home for the Jews"?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

They'll probably come up with another cover to explain their opposition to Israel's existence. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

I wonder what those who hate Bibi and the LIkud government are going to do if and when they are not in power any more?

Well, that encompasses a lot of people with very divergent views.

But I think there are some centrist political parties in Israel who would be just as good as the Likud in defending Israel and fighting off those who wish to destroy it.

Remember during the  establishment of Isrel in 1948 and for many, many years thereafter Israel was not governed by parties of the right. There were several wars attempting to exterminate Israel, and of course a tremendous number of barbaric terror attacks-- and political parties on the left did an excellent job of defending the Jewish state. The war of Independence in '48-- and how many wars after that? How many wars were there in all-- how many did Israel loose?

Al-316
Professor Silent
link   Al-316    8 years ago

I have noticed an uptick in criticism/hatred toward all things Israeli. It seems fashionable to support BDS.

BDS is the embodiment of sympathy for the Palestinians and their plight.

And yet, history records the opportunities afforded the Palestinians to obtain that which they claim is their desire. The Palestinians have always responded the same way; they want everything Israel has and want Israel destroyed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Al-316   8 years ago

BDS harms the Palestinians more than Israel. So many Palestinians have already lost good paying jobs that cannot be matched elsewhere because of BDS, while Israel's economy continues to get stronger. Such fools those mortals be.