╌>

BASEBALL – Time to get excited again

Category:  Sports

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  8 years ago  •  54 comments

When the Blue Jays came to Toronto, I was connected through Variety Club to the major brewery sponsor of the team, and was able to get season’s tickets to 4 seats in the new Skydome about 20 rows up behind home plate – absolutely perfect to view the whole field yet close enough to the real action. They were expensive so I shared them with 3 others, my brother and 2 other friends. We each took a quarter of the games, and then did some trades for pairs of seats among the group. Everyone got the games they wanted, the teams they wanted to watch, which was the same for all the following years – it was ideal and so I became a dedicated baseball fan. When I happened to be in Boston for a convention I was able to watch a Red Sox game, and saw a homer hit over the Green Monster.

When the Jays won their first World Series, it was pandemonium in Toronto – not a riot, but a huge street celebration. It almost seemed like the end of WWII.  But the next year I was in the stands when Joe Carter hit the World Series home run that won the Jays their back-to-back World Series win, at the expense of the Phillies (A.Mac still rues the day). If I had ever known excitement in my life before, it could not have been better than the moment when that line drive entered the left field stands.

Just before the series, Variety Club hosted a hugely attended luncheon to honour the Jays and as I was the Chief Barker (President) of the Toronto Variety Club that year I spoke, and alluded to the spirituality of the game, that the stadium was a temple and the fans were the worshippers of their “gods” on the team – and I predicted that they would win the series led to their victory by none other than a man in a catcher’s mask. As it happens, it was the catcher who was chosen MVP of the series.

At the fan appreciation day following that event, and the stands were filled for it, Joe Carter said, and I will never forget the words: “Last year we did it for Cito (Cito Gaston, their manager) but this time we did it for Paul.” (Paul Molitor, who had just left the Orioles because although he truly deserved it he had never before won a World Series ring.) Paul was on base when Joe hit the home run.

I was a baseball dad – my son was in a midget league, and became a pretty good catcher. We shared a love of the game in our family. We went to Buffalo so we could experience sitting in a good old-fashioned baseball stadium – and actually saw a pretty good game even though it was a lesser league. We even drove to Cooperstown as baseball pilgrims to see the holy grail of baseball. My son has a huge collection of baseball cards gathered over the years – we bought them a whole set at a time, and in Cooperstown my “catcher” son picked up a ball signed by Yogi Berra – hopefully it is genuine.

However, as the adage goes, all good things must come to an end. When the players went on strike, I lost my admiration and respect for them. Whether or not they were right to strike against the managers is not something that mattered to me at the time. All I knew is that it turned me off. I gave up my season’s tickets, and for many years never paid much attention after that.

I think it was a couple of years ago when both the Blue Jays and the Chicago Cubs were really close to playing each other at a World Series match. I started to feel the excitement again. At that time I think I told John Russell that if the Jays would play the Cubs it wouldn’t matter to me which team would win it – the Jays because it would rekindle my home loyalty, or the Cubs because it would be almost historical that after so many years of frustration, they would take the cake.

I just saw that the Jays took the wild card and will face the Texas Rangers. I think it got me started to think baseball again. Maybe they can do it, or maybe they can’t, but it would be good not to have to get my baseball fix from just watching Field of Dreams, or The Natural, or even Major League, and covet a little joy from reality.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

This was originally posted as a blog, but it seems the only ones who go there are spammers.

Does anyone else have a story to tell about baseball, that doesn't include Trump or Clinton?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

The Giants Met game was incredible last night. I don't think Baumgarner is human. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

Ugg.. I forgot it was on. Who won Sean? Please tell me the Mets

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Sorry Perrie it was not the Mets.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    8 years ago

Royals - 71 - 71 in the league, 81 - 81 overall.  SUX

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    8 years ago

October 11, 2012 Nationals against the Cardinals.

David and I were sitting out in right field in section 140 next to the bull pen.  I remember standing there with a hope and a pray., bottom of the ninth, 3 balls, 2 strikes.....a pitch and a hit and it's going, going......GONE!!!!  The whole stadium erupted in cheers.  People jumping up and down, high fiving and hugging each others. 

Jason worth hit a walk off home run in the bottom on the ninth to keep the series going.  An incredible moment that I'm so glad to have experienced live.  Afterwards many of us just stood there not wanting to leave, feeling like we were just part of something incredibly special. 

Awesome night, awesome memory, awesome game. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    8 years ago

Was down in Tampa a few years back, got tickets to the Rays game against Milwaukee ($5 ticket - $10 to park), after the 3rd inning we left the nosebleeds and sat about 10 rows up from first base (The Rays weren't all that good).  My friend from Milwaukee, in her normal 'cast caution to the winds' personality actually fondled the Marlins Mascot (I don't think he minded too much) when he came over to where we were sitting.

A few years later, I took my step-daughter on a bus trip to the Rodger's Center to see the Yankees play the Blue Jays-my kid was so entranced she didn't even want any food or pop at the stadium.  The look on her face watching the game will stay with me until my dying days.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

The Roger's Centre will always be The Skydome to me. The baseball fans in Toronto developed a true appreciation for the game. I recall once an opposing team pitcher pitched a no-hitter against the home Jays, and at the end of the game the fans kept cheering and applauding until the pitcher came out and tipped his cap to the crowd.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Buzz - I love hearing stories about good sportsmanship.  It's great to be a loyal fan but to be a true fan of sports you have to admire and celebrate those exceptional performances no matter what team the individual(s) is on. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

What a great memory Spikegary.  I'm sure your daughter cherishes it also.  :0)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

Back in those days when we had season's tickets, the Yankees games were always our first choice picks.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

It's a good start. The Blue Jays won the first of the series with Texas - 10 to 1.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Even better, now having won the second of a five game series, the Blue Jays have a better than 80% chance of advancing to the ALCS.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

The Cubs now won the second of their 5 game series, putting them in the same 2-0 position as the Blue Jays in their 5 game playoff series.  Keep it up, Cubs.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    8 years ago

OK Buzz, here's a baseball story.  There I was, watching the World Series with a 12 pack of Budweiser and my friend Clint Trump......oops, wrong story.  Don't ask who won that series, I drank the whole 12 pack.

Actually, this one is about two versions of the series in 1945.  I heard both from members of the previous generation since I wasn't even born until 1948.

My father listened to the entire 1945 Series (Chicago Cubs vs Detroit Tigers) on the radio, even though he was in North Chicago at the time.  He described the whole thing as quite exciting.  He couldn't attend the games in person because he was a patient at the US Navy Hospital in that city, being in a full body cast, having survived a rather unpleasant encounter with a land mine in the Philippines..  He was a Tigers fan since he was raised in Bay City, Michigan.  This was the year in which the goat curse fell upon the Cubs as well as the last year the Tigers won a series until 1968, when we were all watching on TV to see Mark Fidrych pitch (weird, but a great pitcher).  Strangely enough, even though not being able to leave the hospital and being in a body cast, my dad somehow managed to conceive a daughter at this time.  The judge didn't buy that, granted the divorce, and my dad married my mother on July 4, 1947.  I was born in October of 1948 (in fact, my birthday is coming up in 19 days).

In the other bullpen is my father in law, who was born and raised in Kenosha, Wisconsin and was a Cubs fan for his entire life.  He also described the Series as exciting and also listened to it on the radio.  At the time of the series, he was employed by the Kaiser Motor Works (building Jeeps for the armed forces).  Later it became Nash/Rambler and, shortly after his retirement, became a division of Chrysler Corp.  It actually was all in the same building in Kenosha and he worked there for his entire career.  My wife, born in 1951, of necessity, became a Cubs fan, as did my son, from his birth in 1984. 

I am split; when the Tigers are approaching a series, I become a Tiger's fan.  If it's the Cubs, I become a Cub's fan.  If both are in contention, I don't know what the hell I'd do, probably drink another 12 pack.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA   8 years ago

"If both are in contention, I don't know what the hell I'd do, probably drink another 12 pack."

As I said above, if the Jays meet the Cubs in the series, I'd be happy if either team won.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  TTGA   8 years ago

Mark Fidrych 

The Bird!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Blue Jays blank out the Rangers, advance to ALCS. Come on, Cubs, you only have to win one out of 3.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

The Cubs just won the National League Division Series and advance to the National League Championship Series. It's still in the running for the Cubs to meet the Blue Jays in the Big Show.  It's still exciting.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

5 Giant relievers can't get three measly outs. What a train wreck.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Okay, here we go. The Cubs will meet the Dodgers for the NLCS. Hopefully the Cubs have the edge since they would be completely rested after the division series whereas the Dodgers have been playing right up to today.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    8 years ago

The Dodgers have three former PHILLIES from the 2008 WORLD SERIES WINNERS …

Chase Utley, Carlos Ruiz and Joe Blanton.

Buzz, I'm hoping for a Dodger/Blue Jays Series with a kind of revenge outcome for the 1993 Series when Joe Carter killed my Phils.

It wouldn't be as sweet as if an actual Phillies team whooped the Jays, but Utley and Ruiz (lovingly known in Philly as "Chooch") are still loved in Philly.

Go DODGERS (proxy Phillies).

Sorry JR … but it's personal.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

It's rivalry again then, Art, since I'm rooting for the Cubs in this NLCS. However, be it as it may, I'm happier that there are at least three of us more interested in baseball than in Obama's erection.

I just read an article recently about Joe Carter where he says that ever since that home run a few days don't go by without someone talking to him about it. It's his claim to fame (and Phillies' shame). Even today, if Joe ran for mayor of Toronto, he'd win in a landslide.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Carter has been interviewed a number of times on Philly Sports Talk radio over the years; he is quite articulate and the talk show hosts and Phillie fans, although Joe represents a sad moment, respect his voice.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

As I said in a comment earlier, REAL baseball fans appreciate a great baseball accomplishment no matter WHAT team the player played on - the example of watching a no-hitter no matter it wasn't the home team pitcher.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

The Cubs have an advantage over all three of the other remaining teams. Especially in starting pitching. Their starters ERA's are lower than the other teams. Their advantage in hitting is less noticeable, but still there to a small degree. 

Luck plays a big part in playoff baseball. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I assume you're rooting for the Cubs, John. I'm sure a lot of people would like to see them finally break the curse, even me (since I'd be happy to see either one of the Jays or the Cubs do it).

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    8 years ago

faa_ruizpostersmall.jpg

Carlos Ruiz (a.k.a. Chooch)

© A. Mac/A.G.

faa_utleypostersmall.jpg

Chase Utlely

I love the Phillies!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

BRACE HEMMELGARN/GETTY IMAGES

As the Toronto Blue Jays head to Cleveland for Games 1 and 2 of the American League Championship Series (ALCS), one announcer is refusing to say the team’s name on air.

Longtime Blue Jays announcer Jerry Howarth said on  The Jeff Blair Show  Thursday that he will refrain from saying “Indians” on air during the games against Cleveland,  WKYC reports.

Howarth told the radio show he made the decision more than 20 years ago because the term is found offensive by the First Nations people.

Howarth said he also does not refer to the Atlanta Braves during games.

Howarth shared that he was deeply touched by a letter he received in the off-season from a fan who was a member of a First Nation who said he was offended when terms such as “Braves” and “Indians” were used in games.

“For the rest of my career I will not say ‘Indian’ or ‘Brave’ and if I was in the NFL I would not say ‘Redskins,’” Howarth told  The Toronto Star , referring to the Washington football team.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I want Kavika's take on this.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Buzz, to be really clear, Native Americans are not anyone's frickin' mascot. This on going nonsense of ''honoring us'' is pure BS. If they were truthful,  they would listen to us, it is NOT an honor, but an insult.

The logo of a stereotype Indian, grinning with a feather in his hair is an honor in what way??? Chief Wahoo, that's quite the honor./s The Re*skins, what a great honor that is, Indians being scalped for bounty.

Get rid of all of them and start fresh.

I totally agree with Howarth.

can-you-imagine-cartoon.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    8 years ago

We need a candidate who will Make Baseball Great Again!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

We need a candidate who will Make Baseball Great Again!

That would take a candidate wth balls.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I guess that leaves Hillary out of it.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    8 years ago

The Sunoco Oil Company ran a summer contest on the 1990's.

Every time you purchased 10 or more gallons of motor fuel, your Sunoco card number was entered in an electronic lottery.

For no reason, I won the chance to throw a hard baseball 90 feet away through a square cut in the strike zone of a wooden billboard on the sidelines between the 4th and 5th inning at a local ball park. 

I threw the strike. (I pitched for my High School team).

It won Mrs. E. and me a card good for free gasoline at Sunoco for one year (up to a set dollar limit).

The home team invited me to the dugout for a photo op in a local newspaper, and a team autographed baseball.

I requested three autographed baseballs. One each for my son and daughter. The third for a teen in a wheelchair who was on the walkway near where Mrs. E. and I were seated along the third baseline with his family. The team graciously consented.

One of the team managers walked with us back to our seats. I introduced him the the teen. The manager smiled and placed the ball in the boy's hand. Here he said. This is for you. It belongs in the hands of a winner. 

The lad's father called me that night. He said it was the best night of his son's summer.  

Its moments like that which make baseball a national past time where ever we live.

Peace and Abundant Blessings to One and All.

Enoch.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

Enoch,

One more thing we have in common!

baseballconniemack.jpg

I pitched in a Philadelphia Sandlot League All Star Game (twice) as a kid (1958 and 1960). The games were played in Connie Mack Stadium (Shibe Park). I remember standing on the mound thinking, "Robin Roberts (e al) have pitched where I am standing!

That's me on the left (and a teammate on my left -- a damned good first baseman).

I played in Philly Leagues until I was 44 years old … 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

Dear AMac: Nice photo and I am sure lots of great memories.

The farthest I got past college athletics was powoer forward in the NYC Metropolitan Area Industrial Leagues (NY Tuck Tapers). They were the equivalent of the baseball farm teams, except basketball.

The Batavia NY Muckdogs were originally a Phillies farm team. 

I know the old Connie Mack Stadium very well.

My father and his brother would take us boys in a caravan of cars with my uncles Seymour and Abraham (and their sons) to see the annual fall classic Army - Navy Football game when we were kids. 

One year we would sit on the Army side (Father and Uncle Lou his brother) were regular Army, as are all their sons, me included.

The next year it was the Navy side for our family. Cousins Seymour and Abraham were Nave Vets (as are their sons).

The name Robin Roberts was part of my childhood growing up. Truly one of the all time greats.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. Good times, good times. 

Enoch (Whose main pitch was the Elroy Face Fork Ball (today a split fingered fastball).  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I threw a fork ball and I remember Elroy Face (Pirates) … I think one year he was 18-1.

I couldn't play in college because I majored in Biology and the labs were in the afternoons when the baseball tryouts and practices took place.

In retrospect, despite the boyhood dream of playing in the Big Leagues, I know I was too small, especially by Phillies' standards … they wanted TALL pitchers.

Playing as a grown up, when I wasn't pitching, I played 3rd base … even as a "smaller" player, believe it or not, I hit for power.

Where did the time go?

agu_conniemackNV.jpg

That's me on the mound in Connie Mack Stadium; my Dad took the photo.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

Dear AMac: When I was an undergraduate, the University basketball team had backcourt ball handlers taller than I am.

I also knew I would never go pro because I don't play on the Shabbat (Sabbath) or other major holidays. That was fine for where I competed. IT would never fly in the pros.

That said, athletics was a very positive set of experience and value acquisition for me growing up. I highly recommend this to youth.

Enoch, winding up and tossing a heater! 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Enoch,

One more thing we have in common!

baseballconniemack.jpg

I pitched in a Philadelphia Sandlot League All Star Game (twice) as a kid (1958 and 1960). The games were played in Connie Mack Stadium (Shibe Park). I remember standing on the mound thinking, "Robin Roberts (e al) have pitched where I am standing!

That's me on the left (and a teammate on my left -- a damned good first baseman).

I played in Philly Leagues until I was 44 years old … 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Damn, a bad start by the Jays against Cleveland - hopefully it will be different tomorrow.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

A good start for the Cubs in the NLCS, but my hopes are fading for the Blue Jays.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

The Blue Jays will have to win 4 games in a row to win the ALCS - not bloody likely. The Cubs still have a chance.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

The Jays are gone - at least the Cubs still have a chance. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

The Cubs won the NLCS and are heading for their first World Series since 1945.  I wish them the best of luck - they deserve the win. At this point this topic is turned over to John Russell - it's his city, his team, and I wish the Cubs win it all and then I wish I could join him in opening that bottle of champagne that's been sitting there all these years.

GO ALL THE WAY CHICAGO CUBS!!!!

From now on, post all World Series comments on John's article: